Bounty | Teen Ink

Bounty

By maddiemay, Yuba City, California
maddiemay, Yuba City, California

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -F. Scott Fitzgerald

Author's note:

I wrote this piece with a few questions in mind. If people are exposed to violence, and used to it, will people become more violent? Or is the violence already embedded into us? Is it okay to kill someone if they hurt you or others? If someone is respected in public society, but a bad person being closed doors, are they still a good person? If someone is considered bad in society, but a good person in private, are they still a bad person?

It was two in the morning. The TV was playing in the living room, the glow from the screen creating a white halo around the room. My father, Garrett, was asleep on the couch, the chips he was eating previously coating the old army uniform he wore. It was rumpled and dirty, not even belonging to him. The name on it had been carved out. The man he got it from had been let go from the army years ago, as many were. Garrett had killed him in cold blood, and taken the outfit. He wore it almost everyday now.
   His snores were louder than the television, and I had to strain my ears to listen. I stood by the couch, a foot away from his body. A gameshow was playing. One of the most popular ones in the country. A group of handicapped citizens would be quizzed on United States trivia. When they answered incorrectly, a loud laugh track would play. The overhead lights would turn red, which caused my living room to turn burgundy. The contestants would begin to scream, the host repeatedly hitting them until the fell down, wearing a faux grin.
   In my head, this would be when Garrett jumped up in realization. He’d grab my arm, forcing me onto the floor. He’d repeatedly ask me where I was going, what I planned on doing, and remind me that I should be thankful to live here, with such a kind and respected father.
   It didn’t happen. Truthfully, even if it had, I doubt it would have stopped me. I know myself well enough. I would have tried again the next night, or the night after that.
  I didn’t take the car. It would draw too much attention, the streets were eerily vacant. It was raining. I kept my jacket’s collar pulled up to my chin, but drops kept finding a way to get into the gap and slide down my back. I walked like I was afraid of taking up space. My arms were kept close to my sides, my hands shoved deep into my pockets.
   I walked for a while until I was in the city. Highrises towered over me, creating an ominous feeling of being watched. The buildings looked sleek in the rain, but underneath them, fat rats scampered about. As I passed one alley, I heard them squeaking and eating something with disgusting crunches. I peeked. It was a figure of a man, covered in newspapers to try to keep himself warm. I looked away, and continued walking.
  I went deeper into the city until I found what I was looking for. My friend had given me clear instructions on what to look for. I had to go in the alleyway between Starbucks and MAC, looking for a plain black door that was connected to a dirty brick wall.
  I didn’t enter right away. Deep down, I knew that opening the door was going to change my life forever. My friend had prepped me on what to expect well, but everything about the door felt foreign.
   I wasn’t scared. I’m scared of nothing. I was taking in the moment, if anything. After a good minute of standing outside, I opened the door. If this had been a movie, this would be the part that slow music played.
  I expected to see a room bursting with illegal activity, with blood smeared on the walls and loud rock music playing. Instead, I was greeted with a foyer type area, with a long and bare desk sitting in the middle of the empty room. The walls were blank and a dingy white, probably never cleaned. A woman sat at the desk, a simple notepad in front of her. She looked like she had killed someone once or twice. I noticed as I got closer that a gun was strapped to her thigh. She looked at me like she hated me.
   “Who are you, boy?” Her voice was surprisingly high pitched, her head c***ing to the side as she asked. If her face wasn’t completely straight, I would have guessed she was amused. She picked up a pencil, flipping open the notepad.
   “Hayden Shrite.” She scribbled it down. Her handwriting looked like chicken scratch. I was impressed she was literate, I personally couldn’t write at all.
   “Year of birth?” She didn’t even look up at me.
  “2013.” She scribbled again, doing the math in her head.
“Nineteen years old?” She briefly glanced up, something changing in her expression. Pity, maybe? I wanted to assure her that I knew what I was in for, that I wasn’t a kid. I felt like my experiences aged me.
   “Yes.” I said, and she shook her head. Her expression was hard again. Maybe I imagined her caring. Maybe she didn’t think anything of me at all.
   “Who are you here for?” She readied herself to write again. I think she was writing exactly what I was saying.
   “Beau Fallot.” She didn’t write for a while, which made me think that I misspoke. I heard the name many times, he was practically a celebrity in the criminal community. A notorious bounty hunter.
   “Sure.” She actually smiled, but it only made her face look unpleasant. It was a wicked one, like she knew something was going to happen that I didn’t. She didn’t write it down. She stood up, towering over me. I wasn’t that tall, about 5’10, but she had to be at least 6’1.
   She didn’t give me any indication to follow her, simply walking through the door behind her. I hesitated before following her, but she didn’t even turn around to check.
   The room we walked into was more like what I was expecting. No blood on the walls, and no music, but it was bustling with activity. There was no windows. If I hadn’t known what time it was, I would have guessed it was afternoon, due to the amount of people that were awake. It felt a complete parallel to the emptiness of the streets outside.
   It reeked like alcohol and smoke, the air felt heavy against me. Crowds of people gambled over tables, and all yelled over each other. Almost everybody had a cigarette or a drink in hand. I didn’t know how I was going to get through all these people and find my man.
   They parted for the woman, though. Like the old Bible story with Moses, she knocked them away with an invisible force. She walked to a table in the back, much more confident in her walk than me. I felt people stare at me as I attempted to walk through her trail. When we got to the table, a man was sitting alone. His feet were propped up on the table, his face littered with scars. I didn’t think he was Beau at first. Most bounty hunters covered their face. He didn’t seem afraid to be known at all.
   “What is this?” His voice was deep, a twinge of an accent there. New Zealand. His dark eyes looked me up and down with an unimpressed gaze. The woman laughed, which only made me angry. I didn’t like feeling belittled.
   “He asked for you.” She shrugged, smiling again. It felt like an inside joke. It felt like I was the butt of the joke. She turned around and left without saying anything else. As much as I hated her, I didn’t want to be alone with Beau just yet, either.
   “Sit.” He ordered, gesturing to the chair across from him. I slowly slid down into the seat, putting my hands into my pocket to hide that they were trembling. He looked at me so intently, like he was memorizing my face. I supposed I shouldn’t have expected any different. So much of his job was memorization. Split second decision on friend or foe. I didn’t think I was a friend, judging by his expression.
   “Well?” He went back to looking at his whiskey, deciding he had seen all he needed to of me. I didn’t know how to say it outright. I didn’t expect a situation that was so blunt and to the point.
   “I want to kill my dad.” My hands clenched in my pockets, a pit of anger forming in my stomach. It felt good to say it outloud of course, but his expression was what made me angry. It looked like he didn’t take me seriously. His head rolled back, rolling his eyes up to the ceiling before looking at me again.
  “No.” Beau said simply. “Scram.” He gestured back towards the door, which made the anger in my stomach start to bubble under my skin. I wasn’t very good at controlling my temper, and I could feel my cheeks burn a hot red.
  “Why?” I demanded, my hands in my pocket clenching tighter until my knuckles were white. I hated him. I think he could tell.
  “I said no, and that’s all that you need to know.” He shrugged. I wanted to wring his neck. I leaned in, my jaw clenched.
  “I’ll pay you.” I tried to convince him. This was my shot. This was me about to take control of my life. He couldn’t just say no like that. He laughed. It was deep, amused. It only made me angrier.
   “Well, you would do that either way.” He said it so casually, like I wasn’t steaming right in front of him. I shook my head, my hands coming up flat on the table. I felt like I couldn’t control my arm movements, I just needed to flail them about to try to not explode on him.
  “You don’t understand. I’m not saying this because I’m angsty or because I just don’t like him.” I was talking really fast. He still didn’t even seem phased. “He’s awful! He’s an awful person. He’s abusive. He kills kids. You have to kill him. It’d make the world a better place.” I felt like I was selling a sales pitch. In retrospect, it would have been morbidly funny. But it wasn’t. Not to me.
  “Make the world a better place?” Beau repeated after me. He still sounded sarcastic, but his expression was less mocking. I felt like I had more of an opportunity now.
   “Yes.” I nodded my head eagerly. “I tried to kill him myself, but…” But he beat me so hard I couldn’t eat solid food for a week. I think somehow, Beau understood what I was going to say, and held his hand up to stop me.
  “A thousand dollars.” He cut me off, looking me dead in the eyes. I saw something that resembled compassion. It made me think of the lady in the lobby. Why were their eyes so guarded? “Maybe nine fifty, if he’s as bad as you say.”
   I didn’t have that kind of money just laying around, but I’m sure I could get it for him. I was pretty good at getting my way, even if I didn’t have any plan.
   “Okay.” I agreed, and he nodded at me, downing the rest of his whiskey. I wasn’t sure how to continue the conversation from there. I was bad at small talk, even worse at explaining how I wanted my dad to die.
   He reached into his breast pocket, pulling out a crisp business card. Instead of handing it to me, he slid it across the table. I picked it up, inspecting it. It had a phone number, but underneath it, it had twenty six single digit numbers, in a seemingly random order.
  “You call the number.” He explained to me, lighting a cigarette and leaning back. “The operator will say you don’t have access for the line, then you enter those numbers in order. On your phone, a payment screen will pop up. Enter your information and pay.”
   I didn’t realize I would be paying so soon, and I think he could see it on my face.
   “I need the payment first to make sure you’re not a flake. After you pay, we’ll meet and you can tell me more so I can plan this thing.” Beau explained.
  I carefully tucked the card into my wallet, not wanting to lose it. Or worse, have my dad find it. “Okay.” I nodded, standing up slowly.
  “Make sure to enter the digits in that order and right after the operator stops speaking. It won’t work otherwise.” He kept talking, which kind of made me feel dumb. I understood how it worked. I just wasn’t sure if I could pay the price. I only worked minimum wage at the burger joint, after all. Nine fifty, or a thousand dollars, would take over a year to make. I only got paid four dollars an hour, which was considered lucky now that the job market had gone to s***. I didn’t get how anyone could pay his price.
  “Sure thing.” I turned before he could say anything else, feeling less hopeful. I’d probably have to try killing Garrett myself.

I didn’t attempt to kill Garrett again. I had tried twice in my life already, once when I was fourteen and again when I was sixteen. Both times had been a disaster, and now that I was an adult, I’d likely be thrown in prison for attempted murder on such a respectable man. No, a bounty hunter like Beau not only knew how to kill, but he was untouchable in the law. If he was caught, he could bring down the dozens of politicians that hired him before, which was too risky.
  It took me over eight months to get the money. That was a short time, considering how little money I had. It was all my past savings, my new paychecks, and money I had managed to obtain through petty theft. It was hard to keep it from Garrett. He’d routinely check my bank account, so I had to keep it all in cash, but he also checked my bedroom at night. I ended up cutting a hole in my mattress and sleeping on top of the cash. It was uncomfortable, and grew more and more lumpy, but it was better than having to start from scratch with a broken jaw. As soon as I had all the money, I transferred the money to my bank account, and dialed the number right away.
  When I called the number, the operator answered, just like Beau said. She said the line was down, and that I couldn’t have access. As soon as she finished her sentence, I punched in the digits printed on the card. On my phone screen, a page asking for my credit card information popped up. I typed everything in. After, the page went blank. I wasn’t sure if it had worked, and I felt a feeling of dread that my information would be floating around. I drove home, angry that I was so stupid. Trusting a criminal seemed like a pretty basic thing not to do. I expected to be blasted with questions as soon as Garrett got home, about how I got all that money.
  Instead, I received a text from an unknown number. It gave me an address to a local bar, one of the shadier ones with holes in the walls. I had been there once before for a birthday, as it was one of the few bars that let underage citizens in. The text said to come the next day, at eleven P.M. I checked my bank account to be sure. Zero dollars. I guess I wasn’t so dumb, after all.
If Garrett noticed anything wrong with me, he didn’t comment on it. During dinner that night, the room was silent. Only the scraping of our forks and his obnoxious chewing filled the room. I couldn’t think of anything to say. The only thought running through my mind was how good it was going to feel to watch him die. I wanted to be there. I wanted to deliver the final blow, if possible. I wanted to say, You took my childhood motherf*er, now I’m taking your life.
As I was doing the dishes, he watched from the doorway. He had a beer bottle in his hand, although it was practically empty.
“I’m having a few friends over tonight.” He finally spoke, and I could feel his eyes burning into the back of my skull. I didn’t respond right away, setting a plate into the dishwasher.
“Did you hear me?” He spoke a little louder, but he wasn’t angry. I nodded, briefly looking over my shoulder at him. The corner of his mouth was curved upward, a sideways smile.
“Yes.” I answered vocally too, knowing he liked that more than a nod. I wasn’t sure what else I was supposed to say. His friends didn’t like me. They often called me names, or were a bit too friendly. Typically, I would try to hide out in my room, if he let me.
“There’s going to be five of them. Rich. We’re striking deals.” He kept talking, not getting the memo that I didn’t care. The less I knew about what he was up to, the better. I thought he had learned this by now. “I don’t want you embarrassing me.”
   He embarrassed himself on his own perfectly well. At times, he’d get blackout drunk, cursing up a storm, causing everyone to file out. I didn’t dare say that.
“Yes, Papa.” I responded, going back to running over the dinner dishes with soapy water. He didn’t take his eyes off me. I saw those icy blue eyes in my nightmares.
“Good boy.” He smiled, showing off his yellow teeth. I hated him. I hated that he spoke to me like that. I only smiled back because I knew a bullet would be soon lodged into his head. I didn’t know if there was a Hell, but I wanted him to rot in it for all eternity.
Once I finished the dishes, he let me go to my room. I didn’t have a door, so I could hear every word exchanged in the living room. I couldn’t sleep. I stared up at my ceiling, listening. Apparently, one of the men had found a sixteen year old bride, and they were celebrating. I heard a high pitched voice every now and again, and it took me some time before I realized where I had heard it before. The bounty hunter’s hangout. Apparently, it was a small world afterall.

The following day, I told Garrett that I was spending the night at Luke’s, a childhood friend of mine. I stayed in my car after work, taking a nearly four hour nap. I had nothing else to do, after all. At eleven, I drove over to the bar.
It was just as grimy as I remembered. The door’s paint was chipped, likely not touched since the day the joint opened. When I entered, the television over the bar was blaring. Apparently, the United States was coming closer to nuclear war every day. I found myself not caring much. I figured it would be better for everyone if we were all incinerated.
Beau sat at the far end of the bar, a few empty glasses next to him. He looked like he belonged in one of the only cowboy movies. He looked up at me when I sat next to him, his dark eyes looking through me once more. I liked them. They were the opposite of Garrett’s.
“I did some research.” He informed, his whole body turning to me. I found myself intimidated, our knees barely brushing against each other’s. “Garrett Shrite, sixty two. Right?” Even though he was asking, I knew he knew he was right. I nodded in response.
“Real respected guy around here. Rich and powerful. Everyone turned a blind eye when it was discovered he owned that pedophile ring around here.” He continued on. I didn’t know what I was supposed to say, so I nodded again. “He adopted you, correct?” Again, I nodded. It was so obvious he knew his information was accurate. He sighed, lighting a cigarette. “Poor bastard.” He murmured. I looked at him for a while, feeling an urge to say thank you. Finally, someone understood that being adopted by Garrett wasn’t some kind of blessing. I would have rather waited eighteen years in the orphanage than have ever lived one day with him.
“So, you’re going to kill him.” I clarified. Beau rolled his eyes, and I immediately felt dumb for saying that. Of course he was, he took my money. It wasn’t a personal thing for him, it was a job.
“Yup.” He blew his smoke away from me, leaning more on the counter. “I just gotta know a few things.”
“What, you couldn’t find more information through your research?” I remarked, which caused him to chuckle. It wasn’t sarcastic, and the lines around his eyes crinkled. I don’t know why I noticed that.
“Smartass.” Beau smirked, and I felt proud of myself for being able to amuse him. “But no, I couldn’t. I need to know where Garrett sleeps, if he has any guns on him, and what time would be best to come.” 
  I figured he’d need that kind of information, and luckily for him, I studied my father just as well as he studied me.
“He sleeps with a gun in his nightstand. His room is the furthest from the front door, toward the end of the house.” I watched as Beau took a long drag, feeling mesmerized by how the cloud of smoke floated through the air. He was handsome, in a rugged sort of way. “He typically is asleep by one in the morning, but I can text you if something changes.”
Beau squinted in thought, wrinkles forming around his eyes. “I need you to get that gun out of his nightstand, just in case. Take a plank of wood and jam the drawer from the inside so he doesn’t notice. Is he a heavy sleeper?”
I nodded my head. Despite having a lot of enemies, Garrett could sleep through a hurricane.
“Good. Do you have a window I can get through?”
I nodded again. The house was one story, it would be easy enough to climb through a window. “I have one in my room.”
Beau sighed, and some smoke slipped out between his lips. “I’m gonna need to come to your house and scope it out. Your descriptions are s***.”
I ended up giving him my address. I expected we would talk some more, and even found myself wanting to hang out, but that was that. He put out his cigarette, and left me alone at the bar.

I invited Beau over while Garrett was drinking with friends. It was around ten at night, and the rain had finally stopped. The sky had a haze over it, like dust clouds. I sat outside front door, looking up. I couldn’t see any stars.
“What the f*** are you doing?” A New Zealand accent broke me from my concentration. Sure enough, Beau was walking up beside me. “You look all sentimental, kid.” He looked up at the sky as well, searching for something I was seeing.
I didn’t want to tell him that I saw nothing, either. I stood up, wiping the dirt off my pants. “Nothin’.” I murmured, opening the front door for him. He followed me inside, looking unimpressed. I couldn’t blame him. Despite all of Garrett’s connections, he had scarcely decorated the place.
I took Beau to my room. It was tiny, the only decoration on my walls being a model plane poster Luke had gotten me years ago. I didn’t see the point in decorating it. This home was temporary.
“I was thinking you can come in through my window.” I gestured to it, a double panel window above my bed. Beau wasn’t even looking at it, staring at me from the doorframe.
“Why don’t you have a door?” He asked, crossing his arms.
“Garrett says I don’t need one. He likes watching me.” I shrugged, not wanting to focus on that. I took him to Garrett’s room next, showing him how I had stuffed the drawer. He gave it a tug, testing it.
“Good.” He nodded at me, and I felt myself beam. He cracked a smile. He crossed around the room, inspecting it. It looked like he was counting his steps, plotting.
He looked back at me, seeming surprised that I was still watching. I didn’t want to leave him alone. It felt like if I left him alone, something would happen to him. He was my chance. My chance at freedom.
“You havin’ second thoughts?” Beau tilted his head, stepping back to be close to me. He was a few inches taller, I had to look up at him.
“No way. Are you?”
He laughed, as if the very idea was ridiculous. “Not a chance.” He promised me, his scarred hand patting my shoulder. It had been awhile since I got any touch of affection, so I enjoyed it, even if it was coming from a bounty hunter.
Once he got all the information he needed, he decided to leave. He didn’t want to risk Garrett coming back and blowing the whole thing. I walked him outside. The rain was definitely over, and now there was a warm smog over the city.
“So when are you gonna do it?” I stopped him right outside my driveway, needing to be as apart of this as possible.
“Probably Saturday.” He shrugged. “It’ll be late. Stay awake, okay?”
He didn’t wait for my answer, knowing I’d agree to do anything at this point. He turned around and walked away. I watched him until his figure had completely disappeared. I sat back down on the steps and watched the sky. I still saw nothing.

Saturday came soon enough. Beau came to my window at one, just as he promised. I opened my window for him, grabbing his hand to pull him through. He had two guns strapped to his sides, and he grinned when he saw me staring at them.
“Stay here.” He said, pointing towards the bed. I shook my head, not understanding.
“Why?”
“I don’t want you messin’ this up.”
I slowly sunk down on my bed, although I wanted to watch. I wanted to watch every moment. Beau shuffled across my carpet, slinking into the dark hallway. I stared at my poster, waiting. I expected to hear gunshots, screaming, cursing. It was silent. I could only wait for a good five minutes before I crept after Beau.
He was hovering over Garrett, dragging him off the bed. He yanked a needle out of Garrett’s throat, a drop of clear liquid flinging off an into the carpet. He looked up at me, frowning.
“What the hell are doing? Are you deaf or something?”
I shook my head as he slung Garrett’s unconscious body over his shoulder. He sighed, pushing past me to head outside. I followed silently.
He threw Garrett’s body into his trunk, getting into the driver’s seat. I got in beside him. His car was all black, the windows tinted. It was a nice car. Clean. He lit a cigarette, turning on the radio. “Change it into anything you like.” He offered, but I didn’t touch it.
We drove in silence. I couldn’t think of an interesting conversation starter. Hey, you’re still gonna kill my dad, right? You didn’t rip me off, right? Wasn’t exactly ideal.
We went to some warehouse on the outskirts of the city. He dragged Garrett inside, a single metal pole standing in the center of the floor. He chained my dad to that, crushing his cigarette beside his limp body.
“Now we wait.” Beau informed me. I didn’t say anything, which caused him to turn and look at me. “I thought you’d be jumping in joy right now. What’s wrong with you?”
I shrugged. He rolled his eyes. It was silent for a long time, the only sound being the wind blowing from outside. Eventually, I moved to stand by him.
“Why did we bring him here?” I asked.
“I figured just shooting him wouldn’t do it. I’m going to make him suffer.” He began setting up a table, lining up all sorts of weapons. I stared blankly at him.
“Aw, come on now, don’t look at me like that. You can step outside if you really can’t handle it.” He set down his guns on the edge, closest to him.
“I can handle it.” I took one of his guns, which he didn’t object to. He grabbed my wrist, letting go when I flinched. He awkwardly rubbed my arm.
“Well, at least you can have a door now.” His hand lingered on me before he removed it again.
“Yeah.”
We left it at that.
Garrett didn’t come through for a couple of hours, at least. I was certain it’d be Sunday afternoon by the time we finally got to it.
He lifted his head up like it was heavy, grunting in pain. His eyes squinted, and I found myself regretting everything. Even though he was chained, in pain, and groggy, I felt like I was standing in front of a wild animal. Beau shifted on his feet, straightening up.
“What the hell is this?” Garrett grumbled, his voice groggy. When his eyes settled on me, his chains rattled. His face shifted and changed, the pain overshadowed by anger. Beau calmly walked to him, blocking my view.
  “Hayden.” Garrett spoke firmly, understanding what was happening now. “Call it off. You can’t do this to your own dad. I took you in, gave you everything-”
Beau raised his knife and sliced off a finger. I gagged. Garrett deserved it, absolutely, but it was hard to watch. Garrett screamed in agony, a spew of cursings filling the air. Beau moved to the next finger, not breaking a sweat.
By the time he was done, Beau’s hands and chest were covered in blood. There was a pool of blood surrounding Garrett, but he was still alive. Barely. Beau handed me a gun, patting my shoulder.
I shot my dad right between the eyes.
There are no words to describe the satisfaction I got from watching his body crumple. Mutilated, it was hardly recognizable. To be sure he was really dead, I stomped his head. His brains were stuck on my sneakers. I looked up at Beau, who was grinning. I was officially a criminal. Him and I, we were no different now.
“Feel good?” He asked. It did, at least in the moment. I felt like I had saved hundreds of kids from ending up like me. Even though I now had blood on my hands, and some would argue I was no better than him, it felt good to know he couldn’t hurt anyone anymore. The police wouldn’t have done s***. I was the hero, me, a scrawny kid with brain matter on his sneakers.
I laughed. I laughed like a maniac. Beau threw gasoline on the body and we watched it burn. I laughed the entire time. Beau was stoic. The smell was indescribable. Burning flesh wasn’t sweet, apparently. Before we drove off together, I gave Garrett’s ashes the finger. Beau said I was like a child. I never felt like a child before. It was good. In that moment, it didn’t hurt anymore.

After that night, I couldn’t sleep. While it felt good for a little bit, there was a sudden worry that festered up inside of me. The police wouldn’t do anything to Garrett for hurting kids because he was so well respected, but they certainly wouldn’t hesitate to arrest me for killing him. They never came for me, though. The city held a funeral for Garrett. People who didn’t even know him said he was a good man and that they loved him.
I moved out of the house. I lived in a rental for a little bit, which I decorated to my heart’s content. It didn’t last long. No matter what I did, the place didn’t feel like home. It felt empty. Even though it was small, it felt too big, in a sense. I moved in with Beau.
Beau. We kept in touch. He was worried about me. He told me some people were born to be criminals, and I wasn’t one of them. He told me I should stop my criminal career there, because he saw too much of himself in me. He told me the mirror hurt. We grew close, though. I guess he was able to get over the parts of himself he saw in me.
I told him he was beautiful one night, while we lay together. I told him to tell me all of the parts he hated about himself, and I kissed over every single one. I loved him. I love him. He really was my chance at getting away from Garrett, in every sense. He was a criminal, sure, but he was a good man. He took care of me. We got married four years later. It was a private ceremony. Afterwards, we smoked cigarettes together. Our honeymoon was driving an hour from the city and f***ing in the back of his car.
He died from too much radiation exposure about a year ago. Nobody but I came to his funeral. I think I’m dying, too. He was the only person that made me feel less empty. Less guilty. Life’s just not worth it anymore.
I guess that’s why I’m writing this. It feels good to admit what I did and explain why I did it. Maybe it was selfish. Maybe I didn’t save anyone at all, because there’s still creeps out there who get kids with or without Garrett. But I saved myself. I know that.