The Journals of the People's Socialist Republic Of Antarctica | Teen Ink

The Journals of the People's Socialist Republic Of Antarctica

By Petedawg BRONZE, Howard Lake, Minnesota
Petedawg BRONZE, Howard Lake, Minnesota
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

I would rather die on my feet than live kneeling.

Author's note:

Due to popular demand of the article I posted awhile ago I wrote another actual nvel

Today was August seventh, 2060 marked the seventy-fourth anniversary celebrating the end of the third Great Patriotic War. People were taking to the streets celebrating and singing “Glory to the Motherland”, the national anthem of the People's Socialist Republic of Antarctica, There were people hanging and waving the red flag with seven gold stars marking each Communist country that joined to form what it is today. Last year my Grandfather died, he served during the war but he never told us much about it, sometimes I doubted he actually was in it but I knew he wouldn't lie about that. A few days after he died my father and I went to clean out his home. There wasn't much in there an old, creaky bed, a worn down sofa, a TV, and lots of boxes that held items from the war my grandfather told me once. He said that in each box had a different story, some from before the war, others during, more towards the end.
My father tried lifting a box cursing under his breath as he walked with it to the table and set it down with a loud thud. Taking out his pocket knife he cut the duct tape that held the lid on top and took it off some moths flying out.
“I told him he should have bought some mothballs to kill these damn things” My father exclaimed.
“ What's in the box?” I asked trying to look at it from across the table.
“Journals and some other things it looks like,” he said picking one up and handing it to me. On the front is read “Battle of New Beijing”, I picked up another that said “Battle of Selkirk ridge”.
“Ian” My father called me. I walked over to him and he handed me another journal this one from an actual person, “General Roman C. Petrov”, my grandfather.
“I have to read these!” I told my father with excitement in my voice.
“Let's get them out of here first then you can take the boxes that have the journals,” he told me, I agreed and we spent the next thirty-some minutes loading things into my father's car. My father dropped me off at my apartment, I grabbed a box and we said our goodbyes and he drove off into the night as I walked into my apartment building. When I reached my apartment I took a journal out, this one was written by Sansa Apollo in his early days of the PSRA.

Site 11 “Ice Cave”
Apollo, R. Sansa

It has been almost 3 years of living down in the freezing wasteland of Antarctica, but it was much safer than being home in Cuba where every day they face air raids from the Americans. Sometimes the Cuban air force would launch air raids on the Americans homeland to with the support of our comrades from the USSR and China although most of the time the casualty rate was too high to make a second run at it. The people of site 11 knew that the capitalist would win it was only a matter of time now, so instead of making weapons like we were told to do we started figuring out ways to change the freezing landscape into arable land for crops and farm animals, we started this a year ago and we made very good progress. Areas around the base we were able to melt the snow and see little areas with grass to pop up, those areas were quickly destroyed by snowstorms and the cold. Many gave up in frustration but those who still believed it could work tried even harder, Tao Yun, a Chinese scientist who just arrived a few months ago suggested that we use bombers to firebomb the cold out of the sky. Many of us laughed at that thought including me, but then we realized he was onto something, the lead scientist Chu Lac Ta from Vietnam request a group of about 10 ‎Kuznetsov NK-32 they are a little older than the new Tupolev Tu-10’s but they were all that is available.

Site 11 “Ice Cave” Airbase

We waited for 5 days for the bombers to come and in those 5 days, several things happened. On the European front, the Nato forces broke through the weaker Polish and Romanian forces front, making it almost 173 km (107 miles) before they were stopped. In Vietnam, there were several naval landings around Ho-chi-Minh city and Hue city, both cities fell within hours after the initial landings. And that wasn't even the worst of it more and more news came in of Nato forces launching attacks on all fronts, some fronts falling completely, Egypt and North Korea were forced to surrender, their leaders Kim Il-sung and Anwar Sadat and their high ranking officers were forced to flee their countries.
With everything going on we all were more determined to get project “Firestorm” going. We watched from inside one of the hangers as each bomber landed kicking up snow from their jet engines. The airbase maintenance teams got to work refueling the plans for they needed to be ready to go within the hour as the science teams loaded GSU-43 bombs, these were more unconventional bombs for the amount of damage they did approximately half of what an atomic bomb could do. The plan was to get the NK-32’s as high as they could go and drop the bombs which had a timer on it set to go off 30 seconds after the drop, plenty of time for the bombers to get away. We struggled to load each bomb and we freaked out when one fell to the ground, thankfully it didn't go off, and it took a little longer than expected but the GSU’s were primed, we all ran back inside to watch the bombers take off and head to their intended target areas. Many people started to pray, I soon found myself praying for them to, praying this would work.
Chu lac motioned me to follow him to the air control tower to listen what the pilots were saying. Most of the pilots were Russian but there were two plans that had Cubans flying. Over the radio, both planes went back and forth complaining about the high winds and unable to see until they both confirmed they had made it above the clouds at 20,000 feet and climb to 40,000 maintaining at that height until they reached their drop zones. At exactly 0433 hours, all GSU were released falling approximately 200 feet per second, there were explosions 30 seconds after all GSU’s were released with no immediate effects. After an hour waiting, I was starting to think there was no hope, that this wouldn't work when a young Polish man came running into the room waving charts he carried around and speaking to fast for me to translate. I grabbed the papers and read them, the temperature was heating up, there were ice caps melting showing barren rock that has been hidden under it for who knows how longs. It was beautiful as I continued to read, teardrops landing on the paper staining it, tears of joy.
News of our success reached almost all 17 research sites within minutes and reached the major Communist countries within the hour. Immediately they started shipping animals and food to Antarctica along with some representatives and high ranking officials. We all celebrated that night all of us, it didn't matter where we came from or who we were, we were brothers and sisters fighting for the same cause….and together we saved our people from being destroyed.

The town of New Beijing

It's been several months since Project Firestorm was used and in those months the snow and ice receded just to the center of Antarctica or the south pole as many call it. Grass started to grow, we planted trees and started crop fields and even had some farms with animals popping up here and there. Towns start springing up from where bases were originally located, many growing quicker than expected with populations reaching upwards of 7,000.  By now the war was winding down, the Communist nations had lost, many leaders were captured and either executed or imprisoned for life. I was nominated as the leader of the newly found PSRA but only temporarily as the government wasn't fully put into place.

The War is over now, the final Communist strongholds in the Ural mountains fell last week making it the bloodiest battle since the battle of Stalingrad in World War 2 with over 3 million casualties. Peace talks were going on now with the representatives of the PSRA and Nato countries met in Switzerland to discuss terms of agreements. So far all former Communist countries were going to have a Capitalist government put in place,  the PSRA was to be recognized as a true country, and the citizens of the former Communist countries were allowed to join the PSRA if they wanted. The Conference was ongoing but it seemed that peace would be in place and last for a long time.

Sergeant Mitya Rolan
4th Shock Army, 4th Battalion 3rd platoon
Outskirts of Rostov on the Don

Some say war is for glory and honor, others say its to defeat evil, I believed these sayings at first….but now how I say it….I say War is Hell. I know this when I went into my first battle, one second we were winning pushing the Unipire troops back we all felt good. Then we lost the battle of Novyy Zavod and we never recovered, we kept fighting and losing and retreating over and over again. Friends I was close to, who I enlisted into the Army of the Star, all died by me. You get used to it after a while, losing friends that is, you learn not to get close to anyone because you know they won't be around for long, it sucks but what can you do its war and it ain't fair to anyone.
The war was just going on its 5th year anniversary now and I'm still alive….I have yet to kick the bucket although I have had many close calls. Now I belonged to a group what many call the “Wúshēng de yǒngshì” which stood for “Silent Warriors” in Chinese, we are called that names considering that all the men and women who have survived for five years never talk about their battles, but when we go into one we are Warriors full of rage wanting blood and revenge for our fallen comrades. If a battle is won or lost, no matter what it is costly for our enemies.

Sergeant Mitya Rolan
Somewhere in the city of Rostov on the Don

For months now we held the line at Rostov-on-the-Don, PSRA soldiers fought the Unipire troops in the streets of the city struggling to gain a secure foothold in the city. Every so often there would be a lull in fighting and both sides would resupply their troops and then the shooting would start again. My squad of Yǒngshì was tasked with supporting the infantry holding the city center, we were doing good pushing back wave after wave of Unpire soldiers until they brought up their tanks. At first, it was there smaller “Snow Mongrel” tanks, no bigger than an average semi-truck but their high powered machine gun can rip a man to shreds in seconds. Than their bigger heavier tanks showed up, the “Killer Whales” we call them just for their size and the fact that their 120-millimeter cannons will wipe out a city block with a couple of well-placed shells.
We felt the wrath of those shells as the KW opened fired on us, instantly several men started to flee to the safety of the secondary line or what they thought was safety. Han Lac Ta, a Vietnamese colonel who strongly believed in order 343 “Not one step back”, ordered the crews of the PKS-74 machine gun turrets to fire on the men retreating. With bullets coming from both directions and me being a loyal soldier to my country I made the most daring decision of my life. I grabbed a bag of grenades from one of my fallen comrades and ran into the bullets, I could feel them whizz past me and kick up dust all around me as they made an impact. Several soldiers from both sides stopped firing to watch me, too stunned to even fire their weapons at each other as they watched me run. I shot men as I ran, I didn't care how old they were or if they surrendered I just shot them to quench my thirst for blood. I managed to reach the tank unscathed, all I needed to do was crawl up to the hatch, arm the grenades, throw them in, and run away back to my own lines. Sadly that didn't go as planned, as I jumped to the ground and started to run as fast as I could until I felt a sharp pain in my right leg as if I had been stabbed. Instantly. When the tank exploded a piece of shrapnel the size of my foot had flown straight into me, “How unlucky” I thought to myself. I managed to crawl almost all the way back t my lines when several members of my unit rushed forward to retrieve me, a few fell from the bullets. I felt a searing pain in my chest those were people who weren't supposed to die, they were undefeatable Warriors of the Motherland, I wanted to kill but they kept dragging me from the frontline all the way to Field hospital Kilo.

Sergeant Mitya Rolan
Field Hospital Kilo

I was admitted to the nearest field hospital since my wounds would only take a few days to heal before I was able to fight again. Sadly the city center fell a few hours after I had gone and the front line was now only 3 blocks away from the makeshift hospital. I expected the Unipire troops to reach the hospital I knew that the men on the line could not hold, sadly this was true as well because as now write a patrol of about 15 Unipre troops just walked through the front door. They are demanding that any officers step forward or they will shoot the wounded…...I just ripped off my insignia and through them into the bucket of waste near the end of my bed….I hope that they won't look in there. They have taken the officers but didn't keep their word, a few minutes after the officers were taken the Unipire troops started shooting us….the wounded and the doctors and nurses, I rolled off my bed and reached for my rifle but it was missing replaced by a pair of boot, I didn't even look up as the figure started to shoot the soldiers killing all of them that remained.
Anna Sokolov was her name, she had saved 30 of us and killed 7 Unipire soldiers. I never had the chance to thank her, she was killed in an assault on the unipire front being mistaken for a soldier as she ran to help the wounded, but in a way, she did help us. Word got around that a hero had died, not a lot of people like their heroes being killed, rage-fueled us, the Army of the Star shined brightly as we pushed the hardest we have ever, pushing the enemy out of the city. The battle Rostov-on-the-Don was over with over 4 million casualties, counting civilians, the war was now in our favor and we will win it no matter what the cost is.

General Roman C. Petrov
7th tank army
City of Forward-unto-Dawn

For almost 5 years the city of Forward-unto-Dawn had been under siege by the Unipire army. For days on end there would constant artillery barrages, air raids and chemical attacks on those residing within the city, any who tried to escape were shot or strung up on poles and stayed there until they died, most are still there all skeletons now. As I walked the streets of the destroyed city there was no building left unscathed from the siege, and there were only a few that were left standing. I made it to what was once a park, now a mass grave holding thousands of men, women, and children that were slaughtered and starved. I needed to take a seat, I have seen my fair share of graves but this was beyond compare, the bodies were so small and skinny that you couldn't even tell that most were adults. Some graves were so deep that the bodies on the bottom were being crushed from the weight of the ones on top. My advisors and I made our way to the town hall where the majority of the people who survived stayed, there were makeshift shacks from the rubble. Hardcore soldiers who had been living in hell for the past 5 years breaking down and crying, holding each other as they saw us walking past them. There was a flagpole at the front of the town with the Red flag with its 7 gold stars, it was shredded but it still stood tall and with pride.

General Roman C. Petrov
7th tank army
Chang-La pass, Ellsworth Mountains

The men of the 7th tank army entered the Chang-La pass in early November, we just managed to get out yesterday January 27, it was a 43-kilometer long pass. The pass we knew would be dangerous during the winter, but it was going to be even more dangerous with the Unipire troops fortifying the pass. I had begged Marshal Reznov to let us find another way or at least bomb them as we advanced. Of course, I was threatened with being a traitor and was forced to move forward. On November 2 we entered the pass with around 100,000 men and within 3 months we around 47,000. Somewhere natural cases like the cold and avalanches but many were to booby traps and skirmishes. There was one actual battle where we had to punch through the defensive line at the end of the pass. It was a bloody battle but we managed and we were the first PSRA spiders to step foot into the Unipire borders.