The Choice | Teen Ink

The Choice

March 5, 2018
By Anonymous

“Tiempo de nacimiento, 7:38 am.” Says the doctor.
“Qué le vamos a llamar?” My mother asks.
“Vamos a llamarlo Ronald” says my older brother.
“Que nombre más bonito” My dad adds in.
    Their I was brought into a world with infinite possibilities, with some that were already chosen since even before I was born and some out of my control. I didn’t know it then and neither did my family but we were about to be very fortunate. I grew up in poverty, were the most important thing my parents had to think about was if they were going to be able to feed their children enough food, because in Cuba or at least in the part where I grew up Pinar del Rio there wasn’t much for food or anything if you weren’t rich. The government only cared about themselves and their image so very they would priorities the capitol over other things. We lived a good life despite of all that though.
    We came to America because of my Aunt and her family. They gave us a new life and have done many amazing things for my family. Most importantly they allowed me and my brother to grow up in the land of opportunities.
    I don’t remember anything about my first couple of years being alive, like everyone else, but I can recall faint memories from my early childhood. The earliest I can think of was when I was 3 or 4 years old. My family had just moved to America from Cuba and they had to deal with two of the most playful kids, and coming from a place where the majority of people didn’t have the most well spoken version of spanish. We were always saying words that at least I shouldn’t know, but it was okay because I had a lot of self control for my age, and it wasn’t like I was profoundly swearing but I was saying words that would probably be offensive to anyone that wasn’t Cuban. We were sitting in the kitchen of my mom's cousin saying jokes and their I was with my foam sword that I just got and since in Cuba we didn’t have these things I was ecstatic about the toy that I said the first thing that came to mind.
    My family later moved to California or more specifically Claremont to live near my aunt and cousins. They been living in California for about eight years before we got there, so my cousins all new english, and a bunch of other things. One time we were all sitting in the garage and my cousins told my brother and I that if you dial 911 the cops would show up, but we didn’t believe them so we tried it and a couple minutes later the cops showed up and everybody in the house was confused because they never called the cops. We were terrified because we didn’t think that they were telling the truth, we thought they were pranking us. When the officer asked if there were any kids in the house our parents instantly knew what had happened and we were in serious trouble, I think that they were just glad that we didn’t have any further problems.
I picked up english pretty quick. Most kids watched Dora and learned a little bit of spanish, not me I watched it and learned a little bit of english. By the time I started school I had already been able to speak both languages pretty well and that helped a lot because my parents didn’t pick up english that quickly and I was always the translator for the parent teacher conferences. Imagine that a 4 year old translating to his mom, that teacher was probably dumb struck when I came in. After the second year I was an expert at translating, but thankfully around 6th grade my parents started being able to comprehend and speak a decent amount of english so I only had to help a little bit.
Once I got on to elementary and eventually high school my parents had very high standards all throughout. It was a very stressful time, but I got passed it and eventually ended up getting a scholarship to UCLA. I wanted to major in Bioengineering, and that’s what I did. During my third year I got really good at football, so I tried out for the team, knowing that I wasn’t going to make it because I didn’t think I was as good as the other players. I ended up doing really good at the tryouts and I made it onto the team. I wasn’t starting at first, but I put a lot of effort into getting better and eventually I was starting most games. I stopped playing after my first year and started focusing on my classes. By my final year I was the best student in the whole subject which really helped me in the future.

After college I started out working for a company called Amertec. They were apparently the biggest medical research facility in the whole United States. I got the job starting as a lab assistant, but after a year and a half I was promoted to the job I was assisting, and eventually I made my way to the top of the company. I was the leading expert on most of the medical research, and it stayed that way for a long time, 23 years. It would have been longer if I didn’t get carried away with this big project that was supposed to save many lives.
The project was molecular rearrangement, it was supposed to change the way we look at diseases. Instead of treatments that would take up months  and even years, that would cost a fortune, we would be able to treat the patient within hours and it would still be less than the total cost of a full treatment. The idea was great the only difficult part was testing it, because no one wanted to be a test subject for an experimental procedure. Who blames them the test were very hard to come by, because the subject had to have some form of disease and the way it worked was tiny nanoparticles would be injected into the patient. The nanotech would do its job and shrink the disease down small enough to the point where it would be practically invisible, and not affect the body anymore.
We spent 3 years waiting for our procedure to finally be safe, but we didn’t have enough data. I still remember the day when I ruined my life and achieved my life’s goal. It was March 12, 2057, I had started experimenting on myself. I figured out a way to get a new wave of cancer, it affected not just the mind, but also your bones and skin. I was willing to risk it all for this treatment that could potentially save countless lives. That’s what I did. Since this certain type of cancer was still new, not much research had been done on it and that made me even more worried and hopeful at the same time. I didn’t know how much time I had so my team started running samples of my blood and other diagnostics trying to figure out the best way to insert the nanotech. I was starting to lose hope, but we were close enough to the point where it our test and research had almost been completed.
On April 12 we ran our final test and it was time for the procedure. We were ready and we knew the treatment was 98% ready, and we would gain the final 2% that we needed once the procedure was finished. We spent years running simulations, but we finally had our first real try at it. My team prepared me for it and all that was left was for the anesthesia to wear in. In my final moments awake I close my eyes and think about everyone that will no longer have to worry about cancer or any diseases from that point on. Everything went dark and at that moment I felt nothing, it was time.
“He’s out”
“Great let’s start”
“ Lets hope this works. Oliver start in at the bottom of his abdominals, and make your way up to the main spots, then we just wait and pray.”
“I’m done. Are the cameras recording this, we need this to be documented so that we have proof of our work.”
“Of course they’re recording he did it himself, he even explained the procedure.”
One hour later
“What’s going on he shouldn’t be flatlining. I need a crash cart in here right now.”
As the crash cart comes in, my heart gave out, or so they thought. There was a side effect that we didn’t know about, my heart was moving so fast that it tricked the machines into thinking that I was flatlining.
Here I am, watching the recording back, worried about my own life even though I made it out alive. Thankfully, I think this is enough evidence to publish it to the world. Finally I was able to give something out to the world!
Even after publishing, I continued to develop and enhance the tech. On January 11, 2059 I was done. I had finished the research and I was saving, so to speak. After finishing I retired on April 12 of that same year. I decided I should retire on the day of my birthday, and that’s is what I did. I focused on my family for the rest of my life, and until today I didn’t have to worry about anything.
Today is the day that I decide how I finish my life and start my new one. I was in my hospital bed dying of the one thing that is incurable, old age. When a strange man walks into my room.
“How are you doing. Good I hope!” Says the strange man.
“Wh- Who are you.”
“I am a man of many talents, but I am here to give you a gift.”
“Your crazy. Get out before I call in the guards.”
“Maybe I am, but I wouldn’t do that. Hear me out, and if you don’t like what I have to say, do what you want. I have read about your research and how you saved so many lives. I want to give you an offer another man gave me in your very position, in my past life. I can tell you are confused, but I have been alive for two lives now. I am past my limit, and like me you have changed the world into something great so I am willing to make you the same offer. Once you die, you can be reborn into a completely new life with any possibility of outcomes. I must warn you I do not know when, where, or how your life will end up, but it is a new life. Or once you die, you will be reborn into the same life you had in this life. There is one exception, in your next life you must grant someone this offer, someone who made a difference in the world. I will give you 24 hours to think.”
I sat there quiet, for I did not know how to respond. The stranger left, and I had a lot to think about. A new life, new adventures. At what cost though. My parents, brother, everyone else who made and impact on my life and shaped me into who I am. I couldn’t give that up, ever. I had my mind set and just like he said, at the exact time as yesterday he showed up.
“Have you made up your mind.” Asks the stranger.
“I have. If what you speak of is true, I wish to be granted my same life.”
“A noble choice, and exactly what I chose in my first life. In 7 hours you will die and be reborn exactly the way you were, and live your same life. You must remember your only job though.”
“Yes. Chose someone new who made a difference in the world and give him this offer.”
“Exactly. Enjoy your life Ronald.” Said the stranger.
“Thank you so much for this gift.” I responded.
After that he left and all that was left was to wait.
6 hours and 45 minutes later
“What’s going on.” Asked the doctor.
“He’s going into cardiac arrest.”
“Why wasn’t he stable.” Screams the doctor.
“Yes he was, I don’t know why this is happening, he just started seizing.”
As my vitals dropped, and eventually flatlined the nurses and doctors tried all they could but at 7:37am I was pronounced dead.

“Tiempo de nacimiento, 7:38 am.” Says the doctor.
“Qué le vamos a llamar?” My mother asks.
“Vamos a llamarlo Ronald” says my older brother.
“Que nombre más bonito” My dad adds in.
And I was reborn.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.