Powerless | Teen Ink

Powerless

January 8, 2018
By Turbo223 SILVER, Lancaster, Wisconsin
More by this author
Turbo223 SILVER, Lancaster, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
Is there a way to escape something unescapable?


Author's note:

This story is a more advanced detailing of the story a friend and I are planning through.

No one expected the power to go out. I didn’t know until it was too late. I was sat down on my couch, my hands furiously mashing on my controller, dodging bullets and spitting out curses through my headset. Dying in the game was an upset, clutching a win alone was god-like, however the game set my mind aside from the loneliness. I lived in a small, cramped apartment alone with a mediocre kitchen and a similarly mediocre bathroom. I had to pretty much fall onto the toilet and had to weasel my way to the shower which didn’t help when

I went on late night game sprees. The day that it all happened, I was in the middle of a clutch situation and, like a lightswitch, everything turned off and I stared into the darkness of the TV. I looked around the living room, noticing everything was off and I felt my hand tremble and flung my controller against the wall, shattering into a plastic shell. I sat there, cursing to myself, but a sudden knock on my door disturbed the stream of curses spilling from my lips. I stood up, walking towards the door and half-expected to see my neighbor, Ms. Shapiro, curse me out for being so damn loud.

“Ms. Shapiro, I am sorry, but” I stopped as I opened the door, expecting to see the pudgy, little woman glaring at me but that was not the sight at all. The tall, grim-faced man stared at me through dark-tinted glasses, no facial emotions showing through the clean-shaven face.

“Mr. Murro?” He asked sternly, my heart picking up more rapidly as I instantly thought the worst things. I expected him to push me down to the carpet and cuff me but he didn’t move. He kept staring at me and I nodded slowly, staring up at him with a concerned look.

“There’s been an incident and you are needing to pack your things,” He said fluently, no pronunciation flawed or stuttered over. Something was wrong. I looked outside, other men dressed the same stepping to doors and repeating the same statement to the neighborhood. I heard a wail of a woman down the street and nodded towards the man, my eyes darting around the small apartment.

“I need a few minutes, please,” I spoke softly, expecting a scowl to cross his face but, after a second, he nodded and stood still. I ran through my necessities and rushed through my apartment, snagging clothes and deodorant from my room and walked back to the doorway, nodding and walked with him. He led me to a car and ushered me in, slamming the door closed and cooly sat down in the driver’s seat, reaching down and starting the car, lurching away from the apartment. I looked out of the window, seeing some people tear-stricken, some had their hands full of clothing. Ms. Shapiro was already outside, climbing into a car as well as we sped away from it all in silence, daring not to speak or ask about anything but something kept nagging at my mind.

“Where, exactly, are we going?” I asked queasily, watching for some facial recognition of the question but none was shown through his facade. I watched and waited for a response for a few moments then turned my gaze back towards the window, staring outside but he spoke after a moment.

“There’s a safe haven on the outskirts of town. Some people are garrisoning and you’ll be separated and be sent different places. We cannot have everyone in one place, in case..” He stopped, shaking his head and suddenly went quiet. I looked towards him, confused by the last sentence, however I didn’t feel right asking the meaning of it. I stared out the window, watching the city fade into nothingness and I felt my eyes grow heavy, the sun dripping down past the horizon and the weight grew too much. My eyes fluttered shut on the normal world, not knowing that everything would change in the matter of a second.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Hours Before Accident: .5
“No, Tom, I don’t know what you mean,” I cooed playfully, reading through the magazine sprawled open before me, the page covered with pictures of cute singers. I reached for my red sharpie, circling one and writing ‘total hottie’ below it, smiling back at the picture of Ed Sheeran as I felt my mind wander out of existence for a moment. Tom was rambling about his girlfriend, how she was probably cheating on him with Max Raeder, the football jock. Honestly, I wouldn’t blame her; Tom wasn’t the greatest guy with girls, with his tendencies to forget about them and all.

“Mary, are you listening?” He asked, yanking my attention back to him and I rolled my eyes, closing the magazine and tossing the sharpie onto my desk. I looked up at the pictures on the outline of my mirror, the handsome men she adored and would have loved to be with..

“Yes, sorry,” I spoke, sounding as genuine as possible. “I was a bit distracted with something else.” I could feel his frown and heard him mutter something under his breath. How I hated Tom, however he was the only person who would talk to me. Everyone else was gone from my life, my brother had left when I was only 16 which, to my own defense, I didn’t blame him. Mom and Dad had passed when I was young which left him in charge and he truly tried. He had juggled multiple jobs to keep us afloat and, since I was old enough, he decided that he wanted to live his own life. The day he left, he gave me a phone and $500, telling me to use it only for necessary things and for an apartment. After four years of being alone, I was able to get a stable job and had a good apartment but yet I didn’t feel fulfilled or happy with myself. I was, truly, alone; I had no true friends who I could depend on and it didn’t help that I wasn’t the best-looking girl.

“Anyways, I’m gonna go.. Talk later?”, Tom asked, inviting the thought of another four hours of his rambling. I sighed quietly and looked at the clock, noting that it was about six in the afternoon.

“We will see, I’ve got to eat and I’ve got to catch up on work,” I said and clicked the call off, tossing the phone onto the bed and burying my face in the comforter. I looked up at the mirror again, realizing how childish I felt and sighed, rolling out of the bed and walking downstairs. I just got to the stairs when, suddenly, everything flicked off, silence pursuing the sudden dreariness of the house. I walked downstairs and instantly walked to the kitchen, snagging the matches and started to light a candle when a heavy knock came from my door.

I stopped, staring at the door, and slowly moved towards it, the knock came again. I looked out the peephole, the dark-shaded glasses of the man staring at me taking my breath. Something was, most definitely, wrong. I slowly opened the door, looking at the man dressed in a black suit, a white undershirt with a black tie running down the shirt like a zebra stripe.

“Ms. Neife?” He asked, butchering the pronunciation of my last name, however I shoved it aside and nodded. The man seemed firm, he didn’t seem distraught or angry, he just wore a mask of emotionless grit. He sighed, as if releasing air from his lungs in an expectancy of the wrong person, and his face suddenly untensed.
“There has been an incident and I need you to come with us,” he said, as if rehearsed a million times before this day. I stared for a moment and I instantly grabbed my purse and an overnight bag stuffed full of clothes and walked with him. He opened the car door for me quietly and waited for me to climb in before closing it, walking to the driver’s door and climbing in. As he started the car, I looked back towards the city and saw smoke rising from the farther reaches of the city and could tell something was truly wrong.

“What has happened, if I might ask?” I asked, staring at him as he pulled away from the curb, settling his hands on the steering wheel, his eyes masked behind his shaded glasses but I could feel his stare. I eased into my seat and stared out the window, looking out at the people scurrying to vehicles similar to the car I was in. The same-looking men opened the doors and helped the citizens outside, some people didn’t want to leave and fought tooth and nail to stay. The more I looked at the urgency of the men in black, the more I realized the severity of it, the cars all disorganized on the street, fighting for space.

“There was an attack and the city is being evacuated in case of the worst,” He quietly said, the air from my lungs being sucked out by a vacuum and vanished. I grabbed the door, struggling to find words and stared out the window in confusion. He mentioned that we were going to a safe place and being separated into separate groups, the thought of being seperated with a small handful of others gave me some hope. I looked back the city, the smoke growing darker and more pockets of smoke appeared as the sun faded out and blinked out of existence.

“Murro, you’re with group three,” The man called out, directing me to a small group of people. There were some tough-looking teens, though they didn’t look like much. I sighed and wandered towards them, grabbing my bag and muttered to myself how my luck works out. As I approached them, they all gave me blank looks and started to talk amongst themselves. I leaned against the tree that shaded the group and watched the people being sorted about and, after a few hours, the name ‘Neife’ was called out and the woman walked towards the group, a look in her eyes of careless intention and no smile was there. The rest of the group stared at her, whistling towards her with more intentions than their smiles showed, however she cast a scowl at us, the teens suddenly going dead quiet.

“Oh, poor boys, I’m too old for most of you,” She laughed and looked at me, casting me a stare and turned away, busying herself with her hair, looking towards the groups. I gave them a glance and sighed, standing straight up and walked past, wandering out to the field of tall grass, holding my hands out and feeling the grass brush through my fingers. I thought about my childhood, the things I felt..

“Murro, we’re bouncing out. We’ve got a bit of a trip,” One of the guys from my group called, looking at me with a bored stare, turning away and walking with the rest of the group towards a vehicle with a white ‘3’ painted onto the side. I started to wander towards the vehicle and noticed the woman walking slowly, her hair flowing in the gentle breeze that blew by, the moonlight flowing through her brown hair. I smiled a little bit and followed behind, climbing in the back of the rusty pickup truck as it sputtered to life, the rest of the groups flowing in unison to their designated vehicles as we pulled away, driving into the darkness. I noticed that our headlights weren’t on and, as we crested a hill over the city, I understood; The city we knew was in shambles, fires engulfed parts of the town, gunfire and explosions echoing over the terrified screams. I closed my eyes and hid my face in my jacket and dozed off, thinking this all to be a dream. I was wrong.
----------------------------------------------
The trip was boring. The guy who I looked over didn’t look too bad, however I just stared out into the night, staring at the city engulfed in flames. I watched lines of smoke fly through the sky, distant explosions echoing and fading away, distant shreiks of terror and fear blared through my ears, however I just tuned it out. I let my gaze raise up into the stars, mentally pointing out constellations across the sky and, slowly, my eyes drifted closed but every bump shook me up, my eyes flying open, looking at our surroundings. We were going through a thick forest, passing trees with speed, however my eyes instantly drifted to the man I saw earlier. I could tell he had seen something bad in his life, his eyes showed it all; He was currently balled up in himself, his legs held close to his body by his arms in a vice-like grip. I reached out to touch him but pulled my hand away, not wanting to disturb his sleep and sighed, looking into the trees as they flew by, leaving blurred images of life.

I felt a hand touch my shoulder suddenly, my eyes springing open as I grabbed the person by the shirt, holding the knife to their neck, but I instantly stopped. The eyes of the teen when he suddenly felt the touch of the cold steel at his neck was all fear and the probability of him emptying his bowels right then and there were high. I pushed him away and hopped out of the truck, walking away towards the standing shack, the night still in full bloom as the moon reached its peak. I walked in, noting the state of the shack; The floor creaked with every step, the wallpaper was fading or tearing away, however it wasn’t as bad as it could have been. I set my bag down by a window, setting down the sleeping bag we were given before we departed and crawled inside. I looked at the lamp, the fire licking against the glass, asking for freedom, but I soon sighed, muttering to myself ‘Another day gone..’ and blew out the lantern.
----------------------------------------------
We arrived at the shack at around midnight, from how the moon hung in the sky, and I felt my body rumble from the bumpy ride. I slept through the whole trip here, yet I felt exhausted. Probably the gamer side of me telling me it’s game over for the night. I wandered into the small shack, the woman getting herself set in her sleeping bag and, as I sat my stuff down, she blew out the candle, casting the whole room into darkness. I stared at the woman for the moment, her brown hair hanging down her back as she got comfortable in the bag and slowly stopped shuffling, surely asleep. I sat down quietly, settling my stuff and decided to join her, everyone else hanging outside, chatting about probable theories of it all. A few of them presumed that aliens were behind this all and that we were doomed to die, though I didn’t believe that at all. It seemed too illogical to be true, though I need to remember the fact that these are teenagers. I sighed and looked back over at the woman, smiling a little bit and stared out of the window until my eyes closed.

Sleep didn’t come easily, nor did it last. I woke up again, the moon barely moved across the dark sky, my eyes struggling to figure out where everyone went to. As my sight came to, I realized that everyone was bundled up in their bags, a couple of the boys rolled around on the floor in silence. I sighed and tried to let my eyes close again, however the pain from long ago stung my back over and over again, the dreams suddenly surging with blood-red color and the hemorrhaging pain seared my body. I locked my jaw shut, my hands balled in white-knuckled fists, and buried myself into my bag, locking away the world around me and turned it all red.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.