Crash | Teen Ink

Crash

December 15, 2017
By Anonymous

Author's note:

I remember having a dream about this dystopian society where there was one ruler who seemed to be over-powered. There was also another person who had the same powers as this ruler and wanted to do something but was scared to confront him. I was really quite invested in this and wanted to expand on it, but I wasn't sure how. I decided I should start writing about how these characters got these powers. This is only a little piece of the story, but I hope to expand on it.

I never thought that this would ever happen to me. That I would be here, not able to do anything, powerless against Riker’s power. But here I am. He's done it. He's taken control. I'm the only one that could have stopped him but I didn't. And now it's too late. He has too many people on his side. I still have power but it's not enough.
  This is all too confusing for you. I should start from the beginning: It all started a couple months ago. I had tutorials really late and I hadn't found a ride home. I walked around the school and the only person I knew was Riker. Great. I thought. Just my luck! The only person I know here is Riker. He and I weren't really what you call friends. There had been a lot of conflict between us so we didn't really like each other.
  I really didn't want to ask him for a ride but it was worth a shot. I hurried toward him and called his name.
“Riker! Hey… Are you about to leave?” I asked, trying to act innocent.
“Yeah. Why?” He replied, sounding annoyed.
“Well… I kind of need a ride home. You wanna take me home?”
“I don't want to. Why are you asking me?”
“I er… I forgot to get a ride and I tried asking my friends and none of them can take me! Please? I won't ask again, I promise!”
Riker was silent for what seemed like forever and I was starting to think it was a mistake to ask him. I was about to tell home never mind when he finally answered.
“Fine,” he muttered. “But just this once.”
“Thank you so much!” I replied. I was just glad I got a ride!
We got in his car and I typed in my address into the GPS.
“Oh, you live pretty close to me,” Riker said.
“Oh really? Cool.” I replied.
The car ride was silent for the first couple minutes but then Riker said something.
“So how have you been?” He asked.
What? He just asked me how I am. Well, that came out of the blue. We haven't actually talked for about a year. Not because we haven't been able to but because we didn't want to. He's the one who started this whole thing. Whatever. It's nothing, he's just trying to start a conversation so it's not quiet.
“I've been good,” I reply. “What about you?”
“I've been pretty good. I mean I don't have band or drama anymore so I'm pretty bored but I have a job so that keeps me busy.”
“Oh, fun. I've been thinking about quitting band but I don't know.”
“No! Don't quit band. That was one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made.” Riker yelled.
“What? Then why did you do it?”
“Because I thought that it would be a good choice since I'm into cooking and now I realize it wasn't a good choice.”
“Come on! Did you choose cooking over band? What about all the bonds you made? You let it go just like that?”
“Yeah I did and that's totally on me but you obviously still want to be in band. Just listen to yourself, you lo--”
“Riker look out!” I yelled at him to stop but it was too late. Just like that, we crashed into a tree. After the hit, everything went black.

*******

I woke up in a room with all white walls. I looked around and saw wires connected to my arm. There were a bunch of machines all around me and a light blue curtain on the left of me. Oh my god. I thought. I'm in a hospital! How long had I been there? Why was I here? Oh no. Riker! He was taking me home and crashed! I needed to talk to someone. I tried calling for someone but my voice was too weak. I looked around for some sort of button to call for a nurse. There was one on the table to the left of me. As I sat up to reach it, I felt a jabbing pain in my stomach. It felt like I was just stabbed. I ignored it because I wanted to figure all this crap out.
  I grabbed the button and about a minute later, a lady with messy blonde hair and a pink apron walked into the room.
“Oh hi there Sabrina! I'm glad to see that you're finally awake. How are you feeling?” This lady seemed so calm and it kind of made me feel uncomfortable.
“I'm okay” I replied, feeling uneasy. “Where am I? How long have I been here? Where's Riker? Who are you?” I had so many questions and I was so confused.
The nurse just smiled and nodded her head. “It's good you're feeling well. Your questions will be answered soon but first, we must make sure you aren't in too much pain. You can call me Nurse Jackie. Now tell me. Do you remember why you're here?”
“Well, I remember going in the car with Riker because he was taking me home and he got distracted while talking to me and we crashed into a tree. That's all I remember.” I tried to remember more because I felt like I was missing something but it just wouldn't come to me.
Nurse Jackie smiled at me, again. “Very good! I'll be back later but you should rest.”
Oh great, she's gone. Perfect now I'm alone and useless again. I guess I could sleep. And just like that, I was out.
The skies were clouded with black fog. The only light to be seen was the torches the army was holding. A giant army was placed. It looked like hundreds of people, all looking almost identical with the uniforms. At the front was a demon like a figure with a smirk on his face. His evilness was clearly seen through his dark green eyes. “Sabrina,” he said with his deep trembling voice. “Welcome to my world.”
I woke up gasping for air, trying to bring myself back to reality. That dream… What did it mean? It was nothing. It was just a dream. Nothing important.
I sat up and checked my body to see how bad I had been hurt. I looked around and I didn't see any bruises or cuts. What? I know I had some sort of injury on the side of my stomachs but it was gone. It was like the crash never happened! How could my injuries be healed that fast? Was I asleep for that long? This is too much. I need a nurse. I reached over for the clicker and waited. No one came in. No. I am not waiting this long for answers. I pulled out the needles and wires attached to me and headed towards the door.
I opened the door and I didn't know where to go. Riker. I need to find Riker. Ahead of me, I see a reception desk. I walk up to it quickly and see a nurse with dark brown hair.
She looked up at me and smiled “Hi! How can I help you?”
“What room is Riker Smith in?” I asked hurriedly.
She typed some things in the computer next to her for a couple seconds and turned back to me.
“He is in room 106. You're going to turn right and head down that hallway. Even numbers are on the left.” She directed me while showing me a map.
I hurried towards the hallway and looked at the room number. 102, 104, 106! Thank God. I quickly opened the door and there was Riker, lying on the hospital bed in one of those ugly “gowns”. I ran up to the side of the bed and gently shook his arm. That must have scared him because he nearly jumped out of the bed!
“Oh my gosh I'm sorry! Are you okay?”
“Yeah, I'm fine. Almost had a heart attack but I'm good. Oh, Sabrina hi. What are you doing here?” Riker had his hand on his chest as he steadied his breathing.
“Well… My injuries, from the crash… They're gone. It's as if they healed overnight. Do you have any injuries or bruises or anything?” He looked at me confused.
“What? I still have my injuries.” He lifted up the hospital gown to show a gash on the side of his stomach. It wasn’t anything that could be fatal but it was enough to make me feel sick. Okay, so his cuts were still there, so why were mine gone?
“That doesn’t make any sense,” I lifted my gown to show that there was nothing.
Riker stared with wide eyes “H-how--”
“I don’t know,” I answered before he asked. “but I want to test something. Look for some sort of sharp object.”
Obviously, there wouldn’t be anything really shard in a hospital room, but there’s gotta be something!
“You could use my I.V,” Riker said as he started pulling the long needle out of his arm.
“What? No!” I yelled, “You can’t take that out! put it back, you need it!”
“I don’t know how to,” He looked at me and chuckled. “and besides, I can ask the nurse to put it back later.”
He had a point, and it was already out so I couldn’t really change that. I didn’t say anything as I took the I.V. from him. I looked down at my arm, took a deep breath, and stabbed the needle in it.
“Holy s*** Sabrina! are you trying to kill yourself?!” Riker shouted and he immediately sat up and pulled the needle out of my arm.
“Oh calm down, it didn’t hurt that bad!” I laughed trying to ignore the pain. It actually hurt like hell but I didn’t want him to freak out. I grabbed some Kleen-ex by his bed and wiped off the blood from my arm. I examined the stab to see if anything happened.
Just then, a  nurse walked in. She had dark brown hair and olive colored skin. Of course, she was smiling. I quickly put my hands behind my back and sat down in a chair next to Riker.
“Hi, Riker! How are you feeling now that you’ve rested?” She asked in a cheerful voice. Gosh, why is everyone here so cheerful? It’s so annoying!
“I’m fine,” Riker replied under his breath.
“I’m glad to hear! And, Sabrina I think is your name. Why are you in Riker’s room?” She looked at me, her stare had confusion but there was also a hint of intimidation. Just enough to give someone the shivers.
“I just wanted to see how he was doing. The nurse at the reception desk told me where he was so I came to check up on him.” I didn’t tell her that all of my injuries were gone because I didn’t want the chance of being used as a lab rat, so I just kept my mouth shut about that.
“Oh, I see,” She smiled. Again. “Just come back to your room when you’re done visiting!” And with that, she was out the door.
“Well, that was close!” I laughed and turned to look at Riker. He was staring at my arm with wide eyes, as if in shock. I looked down at where I stabbed myself and the cut was gone!
“What the heck?” I exclaimed. I had a mixture of nervousness, excitement, and fear all welled up inside me. This as so cool! My body can heal fast! How did this happen? And why did it happen to me? Why did Riker not heal like I did?
“Y-you can heal yourself…” Was all Riker could say.
“I know! This is so cool! But why can’t you heal yourself? This didn’t happen until after the crash. Something with the crash or something after the crash.”
“I don’t know. Maybe we’ll figure it out later but I want to get out of here first.”
“Yeah. This place gives me the creeps. But how are we gonna get out? The nurses and doctors will see that we have hospital gowns and won’t let us leave.”
“Speaking of doctors, I haven’t even seen one, which makes this place even more sketchy.”
“Yeah, that is pretty strange.” I tried to think of some sort of escape route. “I got it!” I exclaimed. “I’m going to try and find some clothes so it looks like we’re just visiting. Do you think you could wrap up your stomach so you don’t bleed out?” I asked hurriedly.
“Yeah, I just need some bandages,” Riker explained.
“Okay, I’ll get you some bandages while I look for some clothes. I might go back to my room today to find more stuff, but we are definitely getting out of here tomorrow.” I didn’t want to stay another minute in this place but waiting a little longer might be the best thing to do.
I scrummaged around the room looking for some bandages and found some under the sink in the bathroom. There was also a clean, plain red shirt and a pair of blue jeans scrunched up.
“Here,” I tossed them to Riker. “Don’t put them on until tomorrow morning. I’ll come in at around 9:00 am so you should probably get dressed at 8:50 am.” I looked at the clock by the door and it read 10:00 pm. “I should probably go back to my room. I’ll see you tomorrow.”
“Sabrina wait,” He stopped me as I grabbed the handle. “Be careful, okay?” I don’t know why he was asking but I saw the worry in his eyes so I didn’t ask.
I hurried back to my room, trying not to look at anyone and went into my bathroom. Under the sink, I saw a black sweatshirt and some dark blue jeans scrunched up. I grabbed them and hid them under my bed. Under the sink, I also found some more bandages which might be useful for Riker, so I grabbed those too.
I looked around my room to see if there was anything useful but nothing really caught my eye. I laid down on my bed and fell asleep.
A dark fog covered the sky. Sabrina stood up and looked around. Many buildings had been destroyed and everything looked lost. All was quiet except for the small breeze blowing. All around her was death. Many bodies lying on the ground. Motionless. Lifeless. No one stood except for her. Suddenly, the dark fog surrounded her. “This is all your fault!” A voice said. It was deep and muffled. All at once, the fog spewed down on Sabrina.
I woke up gasping for air, trying to take notice of my surroundings. Why was I in a hospital? slowly, I remembered what happened. I looked at the clock, my heartbeat finally slowing. I looked at the clock above the door. 8:45 am. Perfect timing. I got out of the bed, thinking about the dreams I had. Why did I keep having them? It was only twice, but I think there’s more to come. I shook it off and decided to tell Riker about it once we left. I grabbed the clothes hidden under my bed sheets and changed into them. I hid the bandages in the pocket of my hoodie and headed towards Riker’s room.
I walked into his room and saw him trying to put the bandages on. From what I saw, it looked like he had no idea what to do. I giggled at the sight of him struggling and went over to help him.
“Thanks…” He said, turning red.
“No problem.” I smiled and finished up tightening it. “Does it hurt if it’s this tight?”
“I mean it’s been hurting this whole time but it doesn’t make it feel worse. It actually makes it feel a little better.” He threw his shirt on and looked over at me. “You ready?”
“Yeah, let’s go.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.