World War III

Author's note:

For my IGCSEs, one of my coursework was writing a short story. Here it is. ;)

Author's note:

« Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 Next »

The War

“The cold passed reluctantly from the earth, and the retiring fogs revealed an army stretched out on the hills, resting. They waited for their rival, like a lion for its prey.”  The rugged wasteland was spread out before Kristen as thick pelts of rain trickled down from the velvet, dark sky. Brilliant stars illuminated the battlefield.
The two armies had decided to gather near the Himalayas, far from the cities so as not to hurt passersby. As the army inched closer, tension

Bibliography

Crane, Stephen, and Paul Sorrentino. The Red Badge of Courage. Cambridge, Mass.: Belknap of Harvard UP, 2009. Print. 

(For the first sentence.)

swelled in the air. This is what the army had been anticipating, their battle against men. Men speculated that they were the better sex, and that’s how it began. The belief spread like wild fire and soon men dominated every decision and every answer. And there was nothing we could do about it; at least that’s what the men made it look like. Until Nikolina Konstantinova, our allegiant leader came along. She reminded women all around the country of their importance and significance, something we had forgotten over time; she yanked us all out of our misery and defied all the men. She was an invincible, ingenious and indomitable leader. Nikolina promised us of freedom and in turn our ascendancy over man, and that was the last string. It was what we desperately dreamed of and every single woman willingly agreed to fight.
Fight for their right —
Footsteps of the incoming army brought Kristen back to the field. The unfamiliar blade was heavy in Kristen’s hand. It was dented around the sides as if it had seen quite a few battles. Nevertheless, it was alive with moonlight and there was a faint blue shimmer to it, a ghost-light that rendered around its edges. Somehow she knew it was more trenchant than any razor she owned —
It appeared all at once like a fish breaking the surface of the water.
Kristen felt the ground tremble beneath her as hundreds of soldiers roared as they charged at her like bulls. They held their weapons high in the air, the blades glistening under the moonlight like a warning sign.
A scream cut the night like a knife.
Hell broke loose after that. Kristen started forward to see a man go down with Bianca’s blade in his chest. Behind her, Esmeralda’s sword flashed out, producing a sideways slash. Simultaneously, the blonde man’s head rolled aside, and blood fanned out. The body collapsed haphazardly to the ground.
Kristen could smell blood all around her. She could hear the slashing of swords and bodies decorated the arena. She turned around to see the crowd swallow her mother just as a soldier drew his weapon and lunged for her. Kristen panicked and stuck her blade out.
She had sliced his chest inadvertently but that was enough for her to gain her confidence. Now her motions were afflictive, assertive and audacious. She leaped towards the man, her sword outstretched.

Chapters:   1 2 Next »