We Will Fight | Teen Ink

We Will Fight

By Jack_Wilka BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
Jack_Wilka BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin

Five, Four, Three, I count down as I wait for the bell to ring releasing us of school. Two, One… RING RING. The teachers don’t tell us anymore to leave single file because they expect us to do it without being told, but please I need to be told. I squeeze between the space of the door and the student in front of the line. I run down the hall to my locker where I grab my backpack and walk out of the doors.
I run around behind the school taking a longer way which requires me to walk through the older part of our city where rules are much more flexible. I walk through the alley between Mr. Johnson's bakery and the library. I notice a fist holding a blazing torch painted to the alley wall and the quote under it “We will fight”. I run across the street and get on a small trolley that carries people around the older side of the city. The trolley has soft music that plays and wooden seats. There aren’t any walls on the trolley making it easier to get on and off. The train wobbles on the tracks that are embedded to the streets. The trolley is reaching the new side of the city so I jump of from the back of the train, as I hit the ground I lose my balance and but catch myself hoping that nobody saw me almost wipe out. Some things spill out of my backpack, I pick up my favorite book, The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer. The book was in my attic, when I was cleaning the attic one day I found this book, I was fascinated because the print date was the year 1913, about two hundred years ago. I run over to my house which is on the new side of the city. As I open the door to my house I know what i’m going to be told by my mother.
“Where were you, school was out a half hour ago and you should have been home a half hour ago”
“Sorry Mom, I was over in the older side”
“I thought I told you not to go over there”
“I said I was sorry ok” I say as I start to get annoyed “Anyways I like it over there, maybe you should go over there sometimes and discover something called a tree”
“You know you should give me respect, it’s hard enough that your father is gone but now you acting like this”
I run up the stairs and sit on my desk pulling my computer out of my backpack and work on my homework. I have to write a report on something that is bothering me, so… I do report on the pros and cons on the older side of the city. My list of pros is very lengthy but the cons could use some work. “TIME FOR BED” my mom yells from down stairs. Confused I look at my clock and it reads 10:02 pm, I think, wow that was fast. I climb in my bed and fall asleep fast.

The bell rings and that means time for study hall. Study hall is so boring because when there is nothing to study you just catch up on work and I never have work to catch up on. The school secretary walks up to me and hands me a note. I read the note and it reads “Please meet in the room b4 during study hall.” I walk down to room b4 happy that I don’t have to participate in study hall. I turn the corner and the B section class rooms are lined up, usually clubs will meet in these class rooms and never classes them self which get me thinking, am I in trouble, but why would they yell at me here and not in the office. I passes the empty rooms, B1, B2, B3, and B4. I turn in the classroom and find four other students which of none I know not to mention that they all look much older than me. I find a seat and sit down. The teacher runs in and introduced himself, “Hi everyone, I’m Mr. Funyou.” One of the older students says “permission to ask a question”
“Please, you don’t need to do any of that stuff they do in your classrooms, here you can talk when you want as long as you call me by my name.” I leak a small smile, happy that this class gives use much more freedom. He walks to each student and hands a pen and a contract like piece of paper. “I need everyone to sign this, after signing this you are officially enrolled in this, class, also your not alowed to tell Anyone not even your parents, not even the government.” Mr. Funyou says. I read over the whole contract one more time just to make sure that I’m not being tricked into something I don’t want part of. The contract restates everything Mr. Funyou had just told us, so I take the cap off of the pen and sign. The pen smoothly slides on the paper as my letters curve across a line. I walk up to the front and turn my paper in. Right as I do so the bell rings. Before I can leave the classroom Mr. Funyou says to “Tomorrow we are going a a feild trip. You will be excused of your second period. You are now excused.”
When I arrive at the lunch room my best friend marcus asks “dude where were you during study hall it was so boring?”
“Sorry I was um…” I try to think up an excuse “I was doing a placement test, they think I might skip a grade, yeah”
“Oh well I sure hope you don’t, I mean, nevermind.” I go and grab my lunch and start to think of more excuses of why I wasn't in study hall. I wasn’t feeling good? Maybe I just tell everyone the same thing I told marcus.

The next day when first period ended I headed right towards room B4. There is everyone sitting at a desk. I go sit down and a large box walks in the room with Mr. Funyou carrying it in. He reached his hand in the box and pulled out a gun, “there are five guns in here” he said. I quickly got excited, “Do we get those!?” I blurt out like a child.
“We will see” he says leaving me even more anxious than ever. “Ok the bus is here” Mr. Funyou says.
We walk out to the bus and all get in. This isn’t quite the bus you would take home considering it’s less than a third of a normal bus. The box of guns are put in the back of the bus and a blanket is thrown over. The ride begins to become boring so I look behind me at the box of guns until we hit a violent bump sending me up off my seat and back on. I look out the windows and see that we are now in the old side of town. I think “wow this day is getting better and better” The bus makes a turn down a road that I haven’t seen before. We pull in the small broken down parking lot in front of a building. The sign on the front said “range closed for all visitors” one of the older students asks “how are we going to get in, are we going to break in”
“Yeah, not today” we walk up to the building and Mr. Funyou opens the door. There is a man at the counter, “How is, what? Who’s that… why is he here?”
“Please class no questions” says Mr. Funyou “everyone show him your student ID’s”. I reach my hand into my back pocket and it’s empty, I always keep my ID in my back pocket, I begin to panic, thoughts of where it could be flow through my head, my locker, at home, what if I lost it “Um… Mr. Funyou, I can’t find my ID”
“Oh don’t worry” Mr. Funyou says in a reassuring voice “I have an extra for you”. He hands me an ID with my date of birth, eye color, height, even my blood type, all the information that anyone would need to know is on here. But what really confuses me is how he got these, they’re printed at home and only you and your parents should know this information. “How did you…” before I can finish he cuts me off
“Please no questions”.
We walk into a big room that I hadn’t seen from the outside. There are sections that are divided by thick walls. The room stretches out at least one hundred yards, pieces of paper with the upper half of a body printed on it hangs on wires that goes across the room. Mr. Funyou hands out the guns. I pick it up, it’s a lot lighter than I thought it would be. Than a stick with metallic cylinders are handed to us. The stick is a lot heavier than the gun, the man that was at the front counter shows us how to install the stick in the gun. I slide the stick into the bottom of the gun handle. I pick it up, now that this sick is in the gun feels almost impossible to aim due to the weight. I pick the gun up and put the small red dot on the head of the printed body. My pointer finger finds the trigger, I grip the handle with all my might and pull the trigger to the rest of my hand, BANG, the noise of the gun fire leaves a high pitch ringing in my ears. The force of the gun leaves my hand throbbing from the kick. I call Mr. Funyou over and ask how to reload the gun. “You don’t, this gun is semi automatic, you can fire five shots in three seconds just by repeatedly pulling down the trigger.”. I hold the gun in my hand, aim it at the target, and BANG BANG BANG. The pain of the kick is sent up through my arm. I still have two shots left so I pick the gun up one more time, but this time I hold it in one hand, tilt the gun to the side, and pull. This time I barely hear the fire of the gun due to my body running on pure adrenalin. I pull the target back to me, I examine the target and realize that I had hit the paper every shot and two right in the forehead.

We arrive at school right as the bell rings. Marcus walks up to me and says “really where were you, I asked the teacher, you never did a placement test”
I studer “I was um…”
“Oh ok I get it i'm too stupid to understand, i'm not going to be friends with a lier, by Jack” Marcus walks away getting on the bus that takes him home.
  +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The next week we get our report cards, when I open the manilla envelope I see straight B’s. In disbelief I put it in my folder. I think to myself “how could that have happened, probably the stupid class, first my best friend and now my straight A’s.”  I walk down to room B4 and sit with my arms crossed like a kid, I throw my feet up on the desk. Right as Mr. Funyou walked in, there is some sort of buzz that is gliding through the air than silence… “um Mr. Fun…” before the one student can finish his sentence a loud alarm fills the room. “COME ONE QUICK” Mr. Funyou says as he tries to overpower the obnoxious alarm. We all sprint as we follow him out the back of the school. After getting out of the doors we see that the whole city is under attack. “Ok now I bet you're all confused” Says Mr. Funyou
I respond with a bit of a bratty tone “yeah ya think, the streets are being swarmed by savage soldiers and the air filled with copters. You know this class hasn’t done miracles for me, not even favors.”
“Yeah well about the savage soldiers, they aren’t quite enemies, there our city soldiers. All of you were enrolled in this class in hopes of your help in starting a new community and having an uprising. I was part of a secret council through the city we know everything about everyone”
“So were you a good guy or..?” I ask with caution
“In our case, a bad guy but then an idea was declared and I still had stayed within the council but had started a plan to stop what was going to happen, they were going to enslave the whole city”
“So that’s what all of this is” one of the other students asks
“No this is getting rid of everyone, they want to start over” Mr. Funyou says with concern in his voice
“ What is that supposed to mean” I say in pure confusion
“People had started to discover the plan like all of you parents. Your parents discoveries is what put you in this class” Mr. Funyou explains
“My mom?” leaves my mouth with disbelief.
“And your dad.” Mr. Funyou says in a correcting voice.
“My da.. Him, my” my thoughts scrambled “Ok then why did they want to enslave us?” I ask trying to pull myself together.
“Well I was never told” Mr. Funyou says as he shrugs his shoulders “now come on”. First is there anything else you want to tell use. We all follow him to one of the edges of the city where a large wall stands. In school we would all make stories on what was on the other side, we were told that there were savages out there. We walk up to a bush and Mr. Funyou bends over and lifts a thick metal door up. I stop for a second “wait, how do we know this isn’t all a trap”
“Well I guess you don’t” Mr. Funyou says without looking at us. I climb down the smooth handles on the ladder. Once we make it to the bottom we run across the well lit hallway. On the other side there is another ladder that is waiting for us. When we make it to the top of the ladder there is thousands of trees that spread as far as the eye can see. Mr. Funyou comes out of the tunnel with a crate full of guns, all armed. “You remember how to use these right?” A wide grin crosses my face.

My legs are sore from running for hours through the bushes and trees. Gun shots are no longer able to be heard. Mr. Funyou stops a giant tree that probably spans about the length of the gun range with a rope that hangs from the thick leaves. He pulls the rope and a ladder falls. “Another one, really” I say as I try to catch my breath.
When we make it to the top I realize that there is a whole society of about ten people, not to mention the small buildings. One of the first things to catch my eye was the same symbol that i had seen on the alley wall. Mr. Funyou takes us to where we sleep. It is a room that i could see holding about ten people. There is no beds just small thin matrices. Mr. Funyou gives us a small tour. We are given an offit that we are required to wear. Things here at the tree don’t seems so bad.
   +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
After about a week at the tree not much has happened no gun fire or any copters or fancy new hover crafts that the city has created. Mr. Funyou comes out from his sleeping area and tells us all “time to get geared up” he talks us to a room with vests and bigger guns the hang on a wall. He passes each of us a vest and as I pick mine up I drop bit due to not expecting that it would be this heavy. I through the camouflage vest over my shoulders and tighten the strap around my waist and pick up a very large gun. This gun you hold with to hands and it is much larger, there’s a piece that you rest against your shoulder making it easier.
We run through the forest to the city. When we make it to the wall, instead of going down in the tunnel one of the people that had been living at the tree before us shoots their gun at the wall but rope shoots out which is not what I expected. We scale the rope to the top, pull the rope up and throw it of the other side climbing down. Quickly soldiers come at us, we put our guns up to them, the rest of the group starts to shoot but I just couldn’t kill them. We get to city hall and run up the stairs to the mayor's office. The mayor sits in his chair unguarded. Two of our guys watch the halls to see if anyone is coming. “What was the plan?” I say trying to sound very serious.
“My plan?” he says smirking “It’s easy, enslave everyone and use them to take over the world.”
“What do you mean the world?” I say with a look of confusion “isn’t it just our community and the savages”
“Please the whole world is filled with communities that you don’t know about” the mayor says in a snotty voice
“You disgust me” one of the other students says then puts his gun up to his forehead.
“DON’T” I yell trying to stop him “um… he can give us more answers, like why do you want to take over the world”
“Power of course” the mayor says with his eyes drowned in fear
“Let me shoot him” the students walks away. I put the red dot right on the center of his forehead, I pull the trigger and the gun releases four bullets instead of the one that I intended. We run through the city and do as much as we possibly can. We lost about half of our men but for those that we have saved most have agreed to fight with us.
We run to the gun range where we first learned to shoot a gun. The man the was at the front counter had brought us to a room full of guns and gear, “this is the armory”. I feel like a small child on christmas morning opening gifts before school started. As we’re gathering the weapons and putting them in a large crate I hear the roaring motor of a large diesel. “Get down” Mr. Funyou whispers to all of us. I grab my gun and run as fast as I can to catch up with the truck. I dive towards the truck as it’s in motion, I grab the handle of a ladder and pull myself to the truck and climb the ladder before I can be seen I run to the front jumping from a hole in the roof. Put the gun up to his head and pull the trigger, as I do so I wonder what was the point of killing him. “Come on Jack stay focused.” I tell myself. I move the lifeless body and throw it in the back. I drive back to the range but as I pass the bakery and the library I see the fist again but not only one, instead at least ten all there on the alley wall. When I get to the gun range we load everything into the back. The truck speeds down the streets, we drive through parks and make it to the airbase as fast as we can. When we get there we find a helicopter and load everything in the back. “What about the keys, you know for the helicopter?” a short girl I haven’t notice says
“A helicopter doesn’t have keys” Mr. Funyou says. I go to one of the doors of the copter with a gun to watch for anything that might need to be watched for, to be honest I don’t know what i’m looking for. We lift of the ground in a matter of seconds, We reach an extremely high altitude before we get to the edge of the city.

We fly straight towards the crystal clear lake and soon we seem to be gliding across the water along with the ripples in the water from the wind of the propellers.
We make it to the other side of the lake and just on the edge is another city. “WHAT IS THAT” I yell overpowering the helicopter. We land on pad with a big letter H. When I get of there are hundreds of men running to small planes with bombs attached. “Hey kid want a ride” one of the pilots yell to me. I turn and look at the pilot, the face is unmistakable,  It’s my dad. I sprint to him and jump into his arms.
“Yes” About eight large trucks drive in each pulling massive planes big enough to hold one of the smaller planes. A bell rings that sounds a lot like the one at school. “Come on” my dad says to me. A man runs up to use and says to me “hey son, you need one of these” he hands me a gray suit with patches attached. The suit goes from shoulders to my knees. He hands be a helmet, not the ones you would wear as you ride a bike but one with a microphone and something that goes in front of your eyes. As we climb up a small ladder  to get in the small plane I notice worn down writing that reads “blue angels”. A man puts straps around my shoulders and waist. I'm behind my dad as he is in the front. “Ready for the cool part” my dad says
“Sure?” A large top closes on opening of the plane. We slowly begin to move as we approach a large road. When we pull up to the large road my dad begins talking to his microphone and pressing buttons. Suddenly we are moving. Our speed increases rapidly and before we are halfway down the road the nose of the plane shoots up into the air. The plane steady outs. Planes pull up to the side of our plane. My dad turns the steering wheel and the plane rotates 360 degrees. Little gray dots start to appear in my vision but within seconds they’re gone. The water of the lake vanishes and our city is under us The plane slows down but then it begins to vibrate along with gunfire. I look out the small window by my feet and see planes of the city exploding one by one. When we make it to the edge of the city we turn around and come in for another attack. Bullets are streaming the air hitting buildings. “Ok we gotta get out of here” my dad says through the radio in the helmet. We fly straight up right as the large planes fly in. Suddenly bullets fill the arm, my mouth open wide as the bullets bounce of the belly of the large planes. “Don’t worry Jack, there bulletproof” before I can say “why are they over there” a large cylinder falls out of the plane. The bomb hits the bottom of the largest building in the city. The building slowly collapses and crush many cars in the parking lot. The rest of the planes fly around the city dropping bombs, each plane carries two. We leave the smoke filled city and head back.