The Dragon Cave | Teen Ink

The Dragon Cave

February 11, 2017
By AbbyStepaniants SILVER, Greenfield Township , Pennsylvania
More by this author
AbbyStepaniants SILVER, Greenfield Township , Pennsylvania
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Watch your thoughts, for they become your words..."
-Anonymous


Author's note:

I would like to give a special thanks to Hector Acosta, for helping me with this novel and my mother for encouraging me and assistting me with edits.

Standing at a bus stop, a girl was leaning against the sign. The autumn breeze flowed softly through her wavy black hair as it changed the shape of the clouds that the girl’s mood-changing eyes watched intently. Their grey (concentration)  color turned pink (wonder) as the sound of steady footsteps pounding against the pavement neared towards her. It turned out to be a boy. His black hair was dripping water into his crystal blue eyes. The boy stood up straight, towering over the near petite female.
“Sup Zecorah?” The boy greeted before shaking his head like a dog, spraying water over Zecorah. She shielded her head with her lanky arms.
“Watch it!” She snapped, her eyes red (anger/annoyance) as she wiped the droplets off her grey crop top jacket. “Why are you so wet? And late, not to mention.”
“I had to take a shower and washed my hair.” Ricco replied, shouldering his black and white book bag so his turquoise sweater wouldn’t get wet. “And I’m not late. The bus isn’t even here yet.”
“Shut up Ricco.” Zecorah growled, crossing her arms, triggering Ricco to laugh. The large yellow bus pulled up and opened its doors, allowing the duo to climb aboard. Zecorah stepped onto their ride, before walking to the back of the bus and sitting in the left aisle, Ricco right behind her. Before the bus even began to move, Ricco had fallen asleep on his friend’s shoulder, his hair leaving a wet stain in her jacket. Zecorah looked out the window, watching the trees speeding by, thinning off into flat land and cars that signaled they were on the freeway to pick up the rest of the students.

When the bus arrived at Cloud High School, Zecorah had forgotten that Ricco’s head was still on her shoulder. It startled her when he tumbled onto her lap. She tried to shake his shoulder. He mumbled a bit, but didn’t stir. Annoyed, Zecorah brought out her clear blue water bottle and poured some of the cool liquid onto her hands before splashing it on Ricco’s face. He yelped and tumbled onto the floor. When he got up, Ricco saw Zecorah halfway down the aisle and ran to catch up to her.
“Did you have to do that?” He demanded.
“Yeah.” Zecorah replied, her eyes white (mischievous) as she smiled. Ricco shook the rest of the water out of his hair, some of it landing on Zecorah.
“Watch it!” She lashed, flicking them off her jacket again and adjusting it so it covered her black sports tank top. The bell rang loudly, telling the students to get to their classes.
“Talk to you at lunch.”Zecorah said before she and Ricco departed to their separate homerooms. Ricco stopped and turned to watch Zecorah as she stepped into her classroom. He smiled. How lucky he was to have her as a friend.
Zecorah and Ricco have been friends since before they remember. Zecorah had roots from Prussia and Switzerland while Ricco’s mom had come from Spain and his dad from Austria. Their parents had met at a hospital when Ricco’s father was rushed in for a shoulder replacement and Zecorah’s mother was in labor. Mrs. Black and Mr. Vine began talking and when Zecorah was born and Mr. Black was out of surgery, the families became close friends. Ricco was already a year old when Zecorah was born, but that didn’t stop them from becoming close friends. They found a special love for dragons when reading a book on mythical beasts.

The bell rang, signaling that it was lunch time. Zecorah was in her technology class and began packing up her notebooks.
“Hey there beautiful.” A male voice cooed. Zecorah cringed a little inside before plastering a fake smile on her face and turning around to see a boy with dirty blonde hair. It was Conrad,
“Hello Conrad.” Zecorah greeted with counterfeit cheerfulness. “How are you today?”
Fine now that I’ve seen your smile.” Conrad flirted, causing Zecorah to drop her smile and roll her eyes.
“Cut the crap, Conrad.” She snapped. “You know I hate it when you hit on me.”  “But-“ Zecorah was out the door before Conrad could continue. The halls were free of students and teachers, giving Zecorah the freedom to run down them and meet Ricco on the back steps outside, his drawing pad square on his lap.
“Hey.” He greeted. “You got your laptop?” Zecorah slung her book bag off her shoulder and brought out her black laptop.
“It’s right here.” She said, opening it and swiftly typing in her passcode before handing it to Ricco. “We’re doing Sky Dragons today.”
“You’re favorite one.” Ricco remarked. Zecorah smiled.
“Yeah.” She replied. “The digital is in the same file as last time. I’d keep it there but I-”
“-Don’t trust laptops and important data.” Ricco finished his friend’s sentence with a chuckle. “You’ve told me a hundred times already.”
“Just draw the digital on paper.” Zecorah teased, taking out a notebook and flipping to a clean page. It was their dragon fact book.

SECTION 26: SKY DRAGON

Name: Caelum Draco

Lifespan: Birth to 1000+ years

Wingspan: 200+ meters

Height: 20+ ft

Weight- 2000+ pounds

Powers: flying, sonic speed, blinding others with light or dark, *Dawn’s Roar (rare)

Colors: Purple, orange, yellow, black, blue, violet (rare), red (rare)

*Dawn’s Roar- A Sky Dragon will let out an ear-piercing roar which can change the time of day and/or blind its enemies

> Sky Dragon can turn their body into air
> They originated from Europe
> A Dawn’s Roar can only change the time of day once every seven days

Zecorah finished the the last footnote before closing her notebook and trading it for a salad from her book bag. 
“How’s it going with the drawing?” She asked, chewing on some lettuce. Ricco took a tomato from her container. 
“It’s going.” He said before popping the tomato in his mouth.
“Why do you insist on taking my food?” Zecorah asked.
“Because I don’t have anything to pack up food at my house and the cafeteria food sucks.” Ricco answered, stealing a cucumber.
A storm arrived when the students of Cloud High School were being dismissed. Zecorah stood in the back of the line with Ricco, waiting to get onto the bus. Ricco watched as she flinched with each clap of thunder and flash of lightning.
Three years ago, Zecorah’s mother was caught under a crashing tree branch after it had been struck by lightning. The paramedics had rushed her to the hospital, but it was too late; Mrs. Vine was DOA. Ever since, Zecorah has suffered from astraphobia, the fear of thunder and lightning.
When the bus had opened its doors, Zecorah hurriedly followed her fellow bus mates an sat in her usual seat with Ricco right next to her. As the bus began moving, Ricco played on his phone, but kept a close eye on Zecorah. She stared a hole through her jeans and her hands were curled up into tight fists on her lap. With each clap of thunder and bright flash of plasma, Zecorah’s figure would tense up a bit more. She looked like a statue. Soon, the rain stopped almost all at once, leaving only a little drizzle. Ricco tucked his phone in his pocket and placed a hand on Zecorah’s knee. It twitched as she looked at Ricco, her eyes orange (fear).
“The thunder is gone.” Ricco said softly, his voice reassuring. “So is the thunder.”
Zecorah looked past Ricco’s built figure and relaxed. Suddenly, an odd-sounding thunder came forth. Zecorah squeaked and her knees shot up to her chest. Another clap, followed by hysterical laughing. Ricco craned his neck to see two sophomores, one holding a phone, laughing.
“Hey.” Ricco said flatly. “I believe this is your stop.” The bus had halted on the sophomores’ houses. They left, taking their fake thunder with them.
 
When the bus had arrived at Ricco and Zecorah’s stop, Ricco got off and turned to his friend. He couldn’t help but notice how beautiful she looked with the stray raindrops in her hair as the wildly swaying trees looked gentle behind her.
“Will you be ok walking home alone?” Ricco asked, worried about Zecorah’s phobia. Despite it, Zecorah nodded.
“I’ll be fine.” She said. Before Ricco could protest, Zecorah took off. Ricco watched her as she kicked up water droplets, then turned away, a sudden empty feeling digging at his heart. He trudged up his own dirt driveway to see his semi-rundown house. He walked up the steps and took out a silver key. Ricco unlocked the door and as soon as he walked into the house, the sickening smell of alcohol, beer and second-hand smoke hit Ricco so hard, his head began to swim. His vision fogged up as he dizzily stumbled through the trashed halls of his house, trying to navigate his way to his room. Finally he burst into his chamber and ran to his window, throwing it open and sticking his head out to breathe in the damp air. Soon, his head and sight cleared up. The urge to retch faded. Ricco let his head hang out of the window for a bit longer. His parents weren’t home. They rarely were.
Ever since Ricco had been ten, Ricco’s parents had gone out to bars, clubs and parties to get drunk and have a ‘good time’. Ricco used to stay at home when this happened, but every night, his parents would come home smelling of alcohol. They would smoke about a pack of cigarettes between the two of them before heading to another party. Finally, Ricco couldn’t take the loneliness nor the reek of his house. He packed his overnight bag at age twelve and walked to Zecorah’s house, asking if he could stay the night. Ever since, sleeping over Zecorah’s was a normal routine for Ricco. He practically lived with the Vines.
Ricco withdrew his head from the window and snapped it shut.
“I am not sleeping here tonight.” Ricco growled to no one in particular. He stalked to his closet and flung it open, pulling out his old football bag and putting in a pair of sweatpants, a T-shirt, deodorant, cologne, a comb, his phone charger, his toothbrush, and an extra change of clothes.
Ricco participated in freshman football in eighth grade. But due to a lack of players and financial issues, the school had to close the football program, along with the basketball, baseball and volleyball programs. Zecorah participated in girl’s volleyball, but when the program had left the school, she joined the school newspaper. She was aiming for yearbook in her senior year.
Ricco slung his bag over his shoulder, strapped his book bag on and put his phone in his pocket. Ricco walked to his front door and opened it to see it was raining. He turned his head to see a patched up jacket and a hooded vest. With a scoff of disbelief, Ricco pulled his own hood over his black hair and walked out the door, not bothering to lock it. If someone tried breaking in, they would most likely be repelled by the reek of drunks. Ricco walked down his driveway and to the direction of Zecorah’s house. Halfway, Ricco decided to call his friend and tell her of his arrival.
About a block away, there was a well kept house with an overrun garden that hadn’t been cared for in a few years. Other than this, the house gave off a warm and welcoming aura. It was two-stories high. Most of the lights were off, except for one. The window from where the light emitted from was Zecorah’s room. She sat at her desk, her black laptop open as Zecorah’s fingers swiftly brushed over the keys, forming words along the electric screen. She was typing up a history essay due at the end of the week. Zecorah’s grey eyes scanned each word carefully, looking for mistakes when suddenly, her phone burst to life. Zecorah nearly fell out of her chair when it rang. Angrily, with red eyes, Zecorah growled to herself.
“Who is that?” She muttered as she picked up her phone. But her frown turned upside down and her eyes turned green (happiness/excitement) when she saw Ricco’s goofy smile from their class trip last year to the ECHO Aquarium. Ricco was calling her. Zecorah answered and held the phone to her ear.
“Hey Ricco.” She greeted. “What’s up?”
“My parents aren’t home again.” Ricco answered, raising his voice so he could be heard over the once again pounding rain. “Can I crash at your place?”
“Sure.” Zecorah said. “My dad will be home later than usual, but he is always happy to have you here.”
“Thanks Z.” Ricco said. “I’ll see you soon.”
“Bye.” Zecorah said before the line cut. The call had ended. Zecorah abandoned her essay to search her closet for a sleeping bag. Even in her big house, there was not a single guest room. And Ricco had always slept in Zecorah’s room whenever he came over, so there was really no point in changing that habit. Zecorah found the item she was looking for and brought it out, setting it next to her own fairly large bed.
Meanwhile, Ricco was trudging up Zecorah’s driveway. When he reached the top of the pavement, he saw no parked cars. Zecorah’s father wasn’t yet home. Ricco walked up the porch and sent Zecorah a text.

Ricco Black- I’m at your porch. Can you let me in plz?

Zecorah Vine- I don’t know. What’s the magic word?

Ricco Black- Lemme in? Oh, wait PLEASE!

Zecorah Vine- I’m coming down now

Ricco smirked at the texts as he listened to Zecorah’s steady footsteps. She unlocked the door and allowed Ricco inside. The hem of his jeans were soaked through.
“Um, sorry for the puddles.” He said with mock shyness. Zecorah laughed.
“You can squeeze the water into that bucket over there.” She pointed to a blue bucket. “Go take a warm shower and change into your pajamas. Dinner should be ready by then.”
“What about my clothes?” Ricco asked, grabbing the bucket.
“Just leave them in the bathroom sink. I’ll throw them in the wash before we hit the hay.” Zecorah answered as she left the room. Ricco rung the ends of his pants, the water running along his hands and down his arms as it fell into the bucket. When they were only slightly damp, Ricco walked into he kitchen to see Zecorah debating over pastas.
“Do I just leave my stuff in your room?” He asked. Zecorah’s concentration was broken as she looked over.
“Yeah, just drop them in the corner opposite of mine.” She answered, switching back to the boxes. Ricco trudged up the steps to Zecorah’s room and walked in. It was warm. He spotted her open laptop and his sleeping bag. Ricco let his luggage fall in the corner opposite of his friend’s and went to her laptop. He typed in her password and looked through the dragon files. 
“What’s tomorrow’s dragon?” He questioned the computer, looking for his answer. Then, he found it: Snake Dragon. Ricco smiled. His favorite dragon. Ricco closed the file searcher and kept the screen on Zecorah’s essay before taking his sweatpants and T-shirt out of his duffel bag and walking to the bathroom.

When Ricco was out of the shower and changed into his sweatpants and T, he walked into the kitchen to see Zecorah setting a bowl of cheese covered pasta onto the dining table. Ricco cleared his throat, making Zecorah aware of his presence. She smiled when she saw her friend.
“Just in time.” She remarked, taking her apron and oven mitts off. “I was going to serve the pasta for you but since you’re already down here, I guess you can do it.”
“Aww…” Ricco whined playfully. “Do I have to?”
“Unless you want to be hungry, yes.” Zecorah laughed. 
“Ok, fine.” Ricco scoffed with a grin.

After dinner, Ricco stayed in Zecorah’s room, finishing an art project. He could hear her singing through the walls. When Ricco completed the drawing, Zecorah had entered the room in her orchid patterned T-shirt and black pants reaching her mid-calf. Ricco put his project in his book bag and zipped it closed.
“Ready for bed?” He asked, rolling out his sleeping bag.
“You’re clothes are in the wash, so they’ll be ready by morning.” Zecorah informed, slipping under he covers after shutting the lights off. Ricco checked the weather on his phone before falling asleep. Sunny with some clouds. No rain. 

The next morning, Zecorah woke up to her alarm clock ringing. The sun hadn’t yet risen, so Zecorah had to feel her surroundings to move around. She tripped over Ricco’s sleeping body and hit her head off of the leg of her desk. The low thud woke Ricco up. He propped himself on one elbow to see Zecorah on all fours, holding her head where it had collided with the wooden leg.

“You ok?” He asked, getting up and turning the alarm off. Zecorah sat down and rubbed her skull.


“I will be in an hour or so.” She admitted, getting up and walking to her closet, searching for an outfit. Ricco took his own clothes and walked to the bathroom.


The bus came around the same time as yesterday. Zecorah and Ricco sat in their same exact seats. For a few minutes, they were in awkward silence. Zecorah’s eyes were black (emotionless) as she stared out the window to the freeway. Ricco cleared his throat.

“So, um, how’s your head?” He asked ineptly. Zecorah turned to face her friend.

“Better.” She answered shortly, her voice detecting as much feeling as her eyes. Ricco sighed.

“What’s wrong?” He finally asked.

“Nothing.”


“Zecorah, I’ve known you since before preschool.” Ricco said. “I know when something is bothering you.”

Zecorah was silent. Then she sighed.

“i had a dream last night.” She began. “Well, more of a flashback. It was the time when my mom was caught under that tree branch. I was trying to get her free. I was trying to roll the branch off her chest. She wasn’t breathing. I screamed for help. You and Dad came and called the ambulance… But I already knew it was too late. It reminded me that I couldn’t save her.” Ricco was silent. Then he rested a hand on Zecorah’s knee. She turned to him, her eyes blue (sadness).

“Zecorah, that branch weighed over a hundred pounds.” He said. It took the entire fire squad AND paramedic team to move it. Her lungs were crushed. Had you moved the branch on your own…” He trailed off, not wanting to wound Zecorah any further. She sighed.

“You’re right.” She said softly. “I couldn’t do anything.”


That lunch, Zecorah walked down the back steps of the school building and sat next to Ricco.

“Hello.” She greeted. Ricco looked up with a smile.

“Hello.” He responded. Zecorah brought out her laptop.

“You know, I wasn’t on my laptop at 4:30 yesterday, yet someone seems to have gone through our digital dragon art.” Zecorah eyed Ricco suspiciously. “Care to tell me who it was that looked through our files?”

Ricco’s face flushed in red as he looked at the other freshmen talking and joking around.

“I don’t know who.” Ricco lied. Zecorah crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow.

“Dragon of the Day.” She demanded flatly.



“Snake Drag- Oh…” Ricco smiled sheepishly.

“Uh-huh.” Zecorah shoved the laptop onto Ricco’s lap. “That’s what I thought.”

Ricco blushed an even brighter shade of red than before.

“C-c-can I just draw it?” He stuttered under Zecorah’s white-eyed stare.

“You saw the files.” Zecorah pointed out. “And it’s your favorite dragon. So you should know what it looks like.”

“Aw, c’mon Z!” Ricco whined. “Please?” Zecorah laughed.

“Alright fine.” She giggled, handing over her laptop. “You can use it.” She turned her attention to her own half of their small project; the fact book. Taking up her pencil, Zecorah began to scribble down each needed fact.

SECTION 27: SNAKE DRAGON

Name: Serpens Draco

Lifespan: Birth to 1,000+ years

Wingspan: 200+ meters

Height: 200 ft

Weight: 175 Ibs

Powers: Poisonous saliva, poisonous breath, toxic wounding, thermal vision, Levitation (rare), *Toxic Ring (rare)

Colors: Green, yellow, red, grey, black, neon yellow (rare) bright red (rare)

*Toxic Ring- A Snake Dragon can use its toxic breath to form a ring of poison around its enemy.

> Some Snake Dragons don’t have wings. These kind have the power of Levitation.
> They originated form Asia, mostly from China
> There are Galactic Snake Dragons in our universe
> No one can escape a Toxic Ring spell; some may not even survive


Ricco leaned over his friend’s shoulder to catch a glimpse at the fact book. “Nice work.” He said, his tone showing approval. Zecorah looked up and smiled and looked at Ricco’s detailed drawing.


“You too.” She said. Ricco returned her smile.

When the bus had dropped Ricco and Zecorah at their stop, about five police cars, an ambulance and a firetruck zipped past them. They were heading to Ricco’s house. Exchanging scared glances, Zecorah’s eyes orange (fear), they took off after the cars and trucks. By the time they had arrived, the ambulance had left and yellow tape with black lettering that said ‘CAUTION: DO NOT ENTER’ was wrapped around the Black’s house. Ricco pushed past Zecorah and up to a police officer. Zecorah followed.

“Sir,” Ricco asked frantically. “W-what’s going on?” He tried craning his eco to see past the man, but no such luck was on his side. The officer turned to face the teenagers.

“Are either of you family to those who live here?” He demanded, ignoring Ricco’s question. This caused Ricco to fidget, worry flashing through his eyes.


“I’m their son!” Ricco yelped. “Please tell me what’s-“ The police officer held up a hand.

“Repeat what you just said.” He ordered. Ricco and Zecorah gave each other confused looks.

“Uh…” Ricco looked back at the officer. “I’m their son.”

“That’s impossible.” The officer said with a shake of his head. “The couple who lives here claims to have no son.” The words hit Ricco in the stomach like a punch. Zecorah could see the pain in his eyes and was quick to react.

“I am family-friends with the couple.” She piped up swiftly, causing the officer to turn his attention to her. “Could you tell me what’s going on?”

“A fire was started in this house.” The officer replied. “Luckily, it was contained in the stove, but when we got here, the couple was passed out drunk on the floor. They could’ve died in the fire had we not gotten here when we did.”

“If they were drunk, why believe what they say?” Zecorah demanded, her orange eyes turning red. “Wait until they are sober and then ask.” The officer thought and sighed.

“Of course.” He said. “How may I contact your parents?”

“Look for my dad’s business card under Luca Vine.” Zecorah said. “Have a nice day and thank you.” Zecorah turned her now violet (caring) eyes to Ricco. “Let’s go.” She said softly. Ricco said nothing. Instead, he turned sharply on his heel and stalked to the Vine’s. Zecorah followed. They walked in silence, the five minute walk seeming to last ten times longer.

When they had arrived at Zecorah’s house, a an with jet black hair and green eyes stood at the front porch. Zecorah eyed him, her orbs pink.

“Dad?” She asked. “What’re you doing home so early?” Luca hugged his daughter and Ricco.

“As soon as I heard it on the news.” He said. “I came straight home.” He let go and looked at Ricco. “How are you doing son?”

Ricco quickly wiped away his tears. “I’m fine.” He unconvincingly insisted.

“You can stay here if you want.” Luca said. Ricco just nodded.

“Dad, the police is going to call you in an hour or so.” Zecorah said. Luca raised an eyebrow.

“How come?” He asked suspiciously.

“Apparently, Ricco’s parents claimed they didn’t have a son.” Zecorah said. “But they were drunk, so once they are sober, they’re going to call you because Ricco and I are minors.” Luca ruffled Zecorah’s hair that she had inherited fully from him.

“Alright.” He said. “Go do your homework.” He usher the teens towards the house. “I’ll call you down when they call.”

Zecorah and Ricco were working on the assignments Cloud High School teachers had assigned them. Zecorah was working at her desk, her algebra book propped open on the wall, her blue binder laying open before her with her scientific calculator. She used her mechanical pencil to manually punch in equations and write down their answers into her binder paper and occasionally nibble on the plastic end in thought.

Ricco wasn’t having as much luck as Zecorah. He had Biology homework to do. His binder sat under his biology textbook. His hands ran through his hair, a pencil tucked in one of his hands as he stared a hole through his binder. his mind was racing in five different directions, and none was on his homework. Soon, Zecorah heard the sound of wood hitting plastic, followed by a dog-like growl. She closed her textbook and binder to see Ricco staring angrily at the binder. She got up and sat next to him.

“You ok?” She asked. Ricco didn’t answer. He didn’t stir when Zecorah placed a hand on his knee. “Look, I understand this is hard for you, and if you want to yell at me because your mad, I’ll be fine with that. If you need a shoulder to cry on, I’ll be there. If you need a punching bag, I’ll put up with that too.” Ricco didn’t answer. Zecorah sighed in surrender and got up. But Ricco grabbed her wrist.

“Can you…” He stuttered in a meek voice. “Can you stay here with me?” Zecorah felt astonished at his small tone but sat back down nonetheless.

“Do you wanna talk about it?” She asked. Ricco gripped her hand, his fingers intertwined with hers.

“I- I just can’t process this all so fast.” He whispered. “My parents nearly died in a fire… Sure, they caused it and they were never really there for me, but it still hurts. And my mind is running around trying to find answers to question that I don’t know how to respond to.” Zecorah gave Ricco’s hand a comforting squeeze.

“You’ll get through this Ricco. And I’ll be by your side through it all no matter what happens.” Ricco looked up. “Because I care deeply for you Ricco.” Ricco let Zecorah’s hand go and crushed her in a hug, burying his face into the crook of her neck. Zecorah could feel his tears soaking into her shirt sleeve, but at that moment she didn’t care,. She hugged Ricco back. They broke away when Luca walked in.

“The police just called.” He said. “They said that Ricco’s parents will be in rehabilitation and he can stay with us until they are released.” Ricco and Zecorah exchanged smiles, Ricco’s unforced, yet weak. “And another thing.” They shifted their attention again. “You can gather your belongings tomorrow after school. Congratulations Ricco.” Luca smiled. “Welcome to the Vine family.”

The next day, Ricco and Zecorah were waiting at their bus stop at 7:00 a.m. Now that Ricco lived with the Vines, he longer had an excuse to be late. The two friends were laughing and joking around as if nothing had happened the day before. Soon, the bus pulled up and they boarded, sitting in their normal seats in the back. A question struck Ricco, one so persisting that he just had to ask it.

“Are we siblings now?” He asked Zecorah. “Or still friends?” Zecorah stared at her friend blankly before bursting out in laughter. Ricco threw his hands in the air. “What?” He demanded.

“We’re still friends!” Zecorah laughed. “Just that you’re living with us for the time being.” Ricco looked up in thought, his face expressing pure confusion. Then, a smile dawned on his face as he laughed stupidly.

“Oh!” He said, stressing on the vowel. Zecorah rolled her eyes, their green rimmed with red.

“How did you not figure that out?” She asked as the bus steed onto the highway. Other students were chattering amongst themselves as well as Zecorah and Ricco were. It seemed just like old times.

During lunch, Zecorah sat on the steps where she and Ricco usually were at this time. Ricco wasn’t there. He was probably held back in Algebra I with the amount of notes given by his teacher. It’s happened before so this didn’t surprise Zecorah as she retrieved her notebook and pencil from her book bag as she wrote a new page of facts.

SECTION 28: GHOST DRAGON

Name: Spiritus Draconis

Lifespan: Birth to 1,000

Wingspan: 100+ meters

Height: 200 ft

Weight: 5 Ibs

Power: Traveling through solid objects, levitation, possessing other dragons, *Supernatural Lures (rare)

Colors: White, grey, neon green (rare)

*Supernatural Lures- A Ghost Dragon can use its ectoplasm to hypnotize and lure it’s prey and foe

>Ghost Dragons don’t have blood; they have ectoplasm which they use for their lures
>They originated from England
>There is no way to break free a hypnosis from the lures alone


“Nice work.” Ricco said, suddenly behind Zecorah. She jumped, startled, before placing a hand over her heart to slow it down.

“Do not sneak up on me like that!” She huffed. Ricco sat beside her, his sketch book already open.

“Sorry.” He said, though he didn’t really sound sorry. “Got a drawing?” Zecorah switched her notebook with the pencil tucked neatly in the spiral for her salad and laptop.

“Ghost Dragon.” She said absently, paying attention to her salad. Ricco stole a tomato before setting to work.

When Ricco had finished, he switched to Zecorah’s web browser. “You think there are any dragon caves around? He asked. Zecorah raised an eyebrow as she checked her digital clock on the screen. Ten more minutes till lunch ended.

“What do you mean?” She asked. Ricco stared blankly at Zecorah, eyes half-closed. He shifted his attention to the computer and typed ingot he search bar Dragon Caves in Vermont. Multiple results showed up the next second. Ricco clicked on the images.

“Here.” He said. “Scroll through and find out.” Zecorah took the laptop in her hands and they looked together. But Ricco stopped Zecorah with a hand on hers. She looked up.

“What is it?” She asked. Ricco pushed Zecorah’s hand from the mousepad and opened the current image’s website. A description filled article was present, the pictures all of the cave from different angles. “Ricco.” Zecorah tried again.

“I-I know this cave.” Ricco whispered.

“What?” Zecorah asked, lowering her voice.

“My parents and I would go camping by it before they got drunk all the time.” Ricco said. “I walk past it a lot. And I’ve got thousands of sketches of it. I’ve never gone inside because I never had the time.”

“So you think we can go this time?” Zecorah asked.

“This weekend should be good.” Ricco answered.

“I’ll make a camping list tonight and we’ll begin packing tomorrow.” Zecorah said as the bell rang. The friends stood up and walked to chemistry together.

Soon, Ricco and Zecorah were on the bus back home. Ricco looked at Zecorah.

“You have the list?” He asked. Zecorah brought out a small notepad.

“Yep.” She replied, opening it to reveal the needed materials. “Food, water, flashlights, fire-starting kit, lighters, extra clothes, our dragon fact book, our dragon sketch book, laptop, and two switch blades.”

“Why the knives?” Ricco asked.

“Incase we run into anything unfriendly.”

“What if it’s a dragon?” Ricco asked. Zecorah stayed silent.

“I guess we’ll find out.” Ricco hugged Zecorah.

“I’ll protect you from whatever comes.” He whispered. Zecorah leaned into his embrace, feeling safe in his arms. Ricco never wanted to let go and Zecorah didn’t want him to. But eventually, they had to pry away when they were allowed off the bus.

“Dad!” Zecorah exclaimed when she burst into the house. Luca walked into the mud room. He smiled questioningly when he saw his daughter’s eager expression.

“What is it Zecorah?” He asked.

“Ricco and I were looking for dragon caves in Vermont online.” She began breathlessly, slipping her loosened sneakers off. “And found one really close by.”

“Ok.” Luca said slowly, not liking where this was going.

“So we were wondering if we could go camping there this weekend.” Zecorah said, a grin adorning her own face, her eyes a vibrant green. By now Luca had already lost his smile to a serious expression.

“Absolutely not.” He said flatly. Zecorah’s eye color melted into red and pink. Ricco stayed silent, not knowing what to say.

“Why not?” Zecorah demanded.

“Because this Sunday is your mother’s day of passing.” Luca snapped back. “Did you forget already?” Zecorah’s eyes became dark blue, but they didn’t loose their reddening rim. She looked down at her white socks, guilt washing over her. Ricco glanced between the father and daughter before finally receiving a lightbulb in his mind.

“What do you two normally do on this day?” He asked. Luca eyed him warily and Zecorah looked up, the red now pink.

“Why?” Luca asked.

“Well,” Ricco started. “If Z and I promise to be home by Sunday afternoon, will you let us go on this trip?” Luca looked at his daughter. She looked straight back at him, her eyes now brown (begging) as she pleaded with her gaze. Luca sighed.

“Alright.” He gave in. “You can go on this adventure.” He glared pointedly at the two teenagers. “But you better be back home at 12:00 that afternoon. Understood?” Zecorah and Ricco saluted in a mocking manner.

“Yessir!”

The three broke down into fits of laughter after that.


Saturday didn’t come quick enough for the eager-spirited teens as Zecorah leaned against the wall of her house, her bag on her shoulder. Ricco was still inside, packing his own bag. Finally, Zecorah, red-eyed, yelled out “Hurry up Ricco!”

“I’m coming!” Ricco hollered back. Two minutes later, Ricco walked out, seemingly ready. “Happy?” He demanded the female. “I nearly forgot to pack my knife.” He began leading the way to the cave. Zecorah followed. Ricco’s blue eyes darted from Zecorah, who stood by his side, to the grass and weeds around them to Zecorah again, then to the unseen trail ahead of them.


The next few hours passed and the two teenagers finally reached the cave. They had left the house at 9 in the morning. When they had arrived at the stony mouth, it was past 12. They had been walking nonstop and once they halted in front of the cave entrance, Zecorah was ready to fall over. Her body, although lean and light, wasn’t used to extensive physical activity. When her legs had stopped moving, she fell over. Zecorah would’ve received a concussion had Ricco not caught her, one arm under her knees and another wrapped around her shoulders. The act caught both Ricco and Zecorah by surprise, causing both of their cheeks to turn red.

“I-I’m fine, you know.” Zecorah stuttered. Ricco set her down gently, keeping himself on his toes about her every move, to make sure she wasn’t about to hit her head off the ground.

“Let’s go.” He said once he was sure Zecorah wouldn’t fall over. With a nod of her head, Zecorah followed Ricco into the cave, their flashlights casting shadows of light along the cold floor and walls.

“You good?” Ricco asked Zecorah, seeing the shivers fly down her spine. Zecorah smiled at Ricco assuringly, her eyes green.

“I’m good.” She said. Ricco turned his head, yet his gaze still lingered a moment longer on his friend as they continued to walk. Her steps were wobbly, like a vulture’s wings while in flight. Ricco swapped hands to hold his light, thinking that in the event of Zecorah’s legs buckling, he’d need his stronger arm to catch her. Finally, Ricco decided to call it a day.

“Let’s rest here.” He said, tapping the ground with his foot. “It’s almost 7 and we should at least start a fire.”

Zecorah turned to face Ricco and nodded her head. “Sure.” She sat down, letting her bag slip off her shoulders. It slumped down to a flattened position. Ricco sat across from his friend, tossing some sticks between them. As he searched his book bag for a match or a lighter, Ricco heard the chilling noise of metal dashing against metal. Following it, came the sound of fire roaring to life. Ricco turned his head to see Zecorah holding her fire-starting kit.

“I got it covered.” She assured, putting the kit safely inside her shoe. Ricco groped for his blanket and spread it at a safe distance from the flames and lay down on it. He watched Zecorah do the same. Once he was sure that his friend was soundly asleep, notified by her steady breathing, Ricco allowed himself to drift off into a slumber as well.


The next morning, Zecorah woke up to a dwindling fire and Ricco’s sleeping form across from the pit. A dim light shone from the end of the cave. Thinking she was delirious, Zecorah rubbed her eyes and shook her head. The light didn’t leave. It only strengthened. Scared, Zecorah pulled her switchblade out from her waist where it had been concealed.

“Ricco!” Zecorah hissed, trying to discreetly arouse her friend. “Ricco, wake up!” Ricco opened one eye, annoyed until he saw the blade in Zecorah’s tight grip.

“What’s wrong?” Ricco asked, taking his own knife from inside his sweater. Zecorah gestured to the light. Ricco took note of it and stood up, crouching. Zecorah made a signal with her hands. It was sign language for ‘go left’. Ricco nodded and skirted to the walls of the cave, keeping to them. Zecorah stayed opposite of him. When Zecorah told Ricco to move in sign, Ricco obliged. Together, they edged to the glimmer. Once they had reached it’s brink, Zecorah nodded and she and Ricco leapt from the shadows, knives at the ready. But what they saw caused the teens to lower their weapons and gawk at the sight their eyes beheld.

A dragon stood before them, resting it’s muscular body upon a bed of golden coins and treasures. Torches of blue flames were held against the wall behind. Between them, were letters, from a language that has been forgotten by all humans. Along his scaled neck was a fin-like skin that was frilled like that of a fish. Intricate markings covered his body in mesmerizing, almost illusive manner. His eyes were large and illuminated with white, as if it were purely stars. Between his enormous front paws was a smaller dragon, who’s body only had markings on his neck and on the flaps of his wings. Zecorah and Ricco stood frozen stiff, gaping at the dragons who sat before them. This was it. What they had been looking for since they had entered grade school. It startled them when they heard a voice in their heads, but it sounded as though it was bouncing off the walls of the cave, ringing into the teenagers’ ears.

Hello. The voice said. It was deep and mellow, somehow both powerful, yet soothing. I am King Kaito, king of all dragons.

Zecorah continued to stare the magnificent beast up and down while Ricco turned around in all directions, as if searching for the source of the voice.

“Who said that?” Ricco demanded to the unseen mouth of the cave. A throaty, smooth laugh came from the same unseen source.

It is I. The dragon raised its majestic head, the wisps of hair falling from its horns. Ricco sensed movement from behind and whipped around. Zecorah’s eyes followed the dragon as he sat up. The beast was so beautiful that it seemed to be moving in slow motion to the two teenagers.

“Y-you’re a…” Zecorah couldn’t find the correct words in her state of shock. To assure himself that he wasn’t still dreaming, Ricco groped mindlessly for Zecorah’s hand, to assure himself that he wasn’t dreaming. Zecorah gripped Ricco’s hand. The smaller dragon, who’s movements were less refined than the larger dragon’s, flapped his small wings rapidly and lifted himself off the ground. He flew towards the two baffled humans, circling them in midair. As he flew, he spoke into their minds just as King Kaito had.

Hey there! He yipped in a voice high tone, yet also had a hint of masculinity. My name is Collin!

“Dragons…” Ricco breathed out. “Standing right in front of us…”

All seemed silent between the two humans and the two dragons. Each side stared straight at the other. Zecorah and Ricco were gaping in shock, astonishment, amazement and a thousand other emotions. The dragons, on the other hand, just watched the humans in amusement. Finally, the smaller dragon, flew above a nearby pool of lava and curled into a ball, diving into it. As the small body collided with the pool, lava burst forth, splattering Zecorah and Ricco. They both shielded their heads with their arms. After what seemed like a very long minute, Zecorah slowly let her arms drop.

“It’s.. cold.” She noted, scooping some of the lava from her arm and rolling it around the palm of her hand. She looked towards Ricco, who was also mesmerized by the magma. He looked up to Kaito.

“How is this possible?” He asked. “Lava is supposed to burn.”

It’s possible because this lava was specially made to only burn the inanimate objects that it touches. Kaito responded, his voice echoing into Zecorah’s and Ricco’s heads.

“How can you talk to us telepathically?” Zecorah questioned.

Being the king of dragons, I have many talents and abilities. This is just one of them.

“What other abilities do you have?” Ricco asked. Both him and Zecorah were eager to know more about the king. Instead, they received a chuckle of amusement from him.

You will know soon enough. He said. For now, I would like to know how you can see us. Most humans such as yourselves cannot.

Maybe they’re the ones! Collin piped up, now even more excited.

Impossible. King Kaito said, shaking his head. My brother left evidence that he had hidden away the ones of this generation.

“The ones?” Ricco queried. “What do you mean by that?” A loud sigh, one that sounded tired and almost hurt, came from Kaito, smoke emitting from his nostrils.

Once every generation, two humans are born with a rare and special gift. He explained. That gift is to see, hear, understand and communicate with dragons. But my brother, the Ancients dragon, has supposedly hidden away the two that have been chosen to rule for their generation. He gave evidential proof. They could see myself and Collin clearly. They could see our exact movements. After proving to us that he had found the two, he took them away and hid them away, disappearing himself as well.

“But if they saw you, and we can see you too, then what does that mean?” Zecorah asked.

I fear nothing good. Kaito replied, his powerful voice now hinting angst. And I also fear that you are the only two that can stop this.

Zecorah took in a sharp breath. “Ricco, this is it.” She said, turning to her friend, he looked right back at her. “This is what we have been striving for since grade school, since we read that book in first grade.”

“I know.” Ricco smiled. His crystalline blue eyes hone eagerly. “After all of our hoping and research, we did it. We found dragons.”

“And if we search for the Ancients Dragon, who knows what other dragons we’ll meet!” Zecorah jumped up in the air only to come back to the ground in faux pas. “But my mom…” Those words drenched both of the teenagers’ hopes. Sunday… Lidia Vine’s day of passing. They had made a promise to Zecorah’s father that they’d be home before 12. With great dismay, Ricco turned to King Kaito and Collin.

You seem troubled. King Kaito remarked. What is on your minds?

“We.. can’t accept the opportunity.” Ricco explained. “As much as we’d love to, we can’t. You see, Zecorah’s mother died three year ago on the day after today.” Kaito nodded his head slowly.

In that case, come back when you can. The dragon said. We will be waiting for you here. In return for your generosity, we give you these amulets. The king of dragons motioned his horned head and from his bed of precious items came fourth two silver amulets. Each one had a small dragon curled around a deep red gem hanging from a silver linked chain. When you return, connect the amulets and you will see us once more. The amulets levitated to the teenagers, wrapping themselves around their necks Zecorah rested the amulet on the palm of her hand. The dragon opened its beautiful blue eye and looked up at Zecorah. She smiled and pet its small head. Ricco looked up to Kaito.

“Thank you.” He said.

No. Kaito replied. Thank you.

And with that, Zecorah and Ricco grabbed their belongings and went to leave the cave. Once they exited the mouth of it, Three men all dressed in black, two of them holding sickles stood before them. One man, the largest of the three, stepped forward, raising his own sickle.

“Who are you guys?” Ricco asked, slightly terrified. Zecorah reached for her knife.

“What did you see in the cave?” The largest man asked in a gruff voice.

“Nothing.” Zecorah lied. “We thought there was some old relics from past eras in there, but the website we used was just a hoax.”

The other two men gave each other unimpressed glances.

“Do not lie to us.” The second man, the smallest, said. “We know you didn’t see nothing.”

“Then why ask?” Ricco demanded.

“So we have a reason to do this.” The first man and there third man, who also held a sickle, grabbed a teenager each and held the sickle to their throats, pinning them against the wall of the cave. the second man bound their hands and gagged their mouths with cloth. Roughly, the men forced Ricco and Zecorah back into the cave. The second man picked up their bags and tossed them into a small crevice inside. Both minors were scared stiff, unsure of what to do. When they had reached the end cave, neither dragons were their. The bed that Kaito had laid upon was gone. All that remained was the pool of lava, the blue flame torches and the unknown lettering.

“Alright, where are they?” The first man demanded. shoving Ricco forward. The third pushed Zecorah. “We know this is their resting place.” Ricco and Zecorah’s mouth restraints were removed.

“Who?” Zecorah asked, playing dumb. Even tough she was good at playing the part of a clueless person, the strange men weren’t buying it.

“The dragons!” The second men huffed angrily. “Tell us.”

Ricco was done playing games. He turned, defiance flaring like burning coals in his eyes. “No.” He snarled. “We aren’t telling you.”

“Watch your mouth.” The third man snapped back, raising his sickle. “You’ll regret it if you don’t.”

Ricco shook his head. “We’re being smart by not telling you. You shouldn’t know.”

“The master wants his brother, we will deliver him.” the first said.

“Brother?” Zecorah asked. Realization struck both Ricco and Zecorah. Their was no point in hiding their secret. They obviously knew. “You mean the Ancients Dragon?”

“He wants his brother delivered to him and we are here to make it so.”

“You aren’t laying a finger on Kaito.” Ricco said. “We won’t let you.”

“Try us.”

“Gladly.” Ricco said. he maneuvered his body so that his amulet swung towards Zecorah’s. Both touched ever so slightly, which was enough. Both dragons intertwined their necks and tails, bringing the deep red gems together. A bright flash of light emitted from the amulets, as most blinding the five humans. When it died down and the amulets swung away from each other, Collin appeared, flapping his wings vigorously as he lifted two of the men in the air. He threw them up and shot two fireballs at them. Ashes fell to the ground from where the men were just a few minutes ago. The last of them men was taken by Kaito’s tail coiling around him and getting tosses out of the cave. The king turned his head to the two teenagers, who were busy using a rock to tear the rope apart so their hands would be free.

Are you two ok? He asked, worry obvious in his telepathic tone. Ricco’s rope broke first, then Zecorah’s. They both discarded them and the gags into the lava pool.

“We’re ok.” Zecorah said. “Just shaken and confused.”

We are sorry that you had to lay your eyes upon those three. Kaito said. Although I will admit, I’m not at all surprised that they came after you. I just wish that I could’ve warned you sooner.

“What do you mean?” Ricco asked.

Those men were a part of a larger army formed by my brother. They are posing to capture me.

“Why?” Ricco asked.

My brother wants me killed.

This left the two teenagers slack-jawed. Why would Kaito’s brother, his own flesh and blood, want to kill him?

Incase you’re wondering why, which you probably are, Collin piped up. It’s because Ara, Kaito’s brother, thinks he will become king if Kaito dies.

“Will he?” Zecorah asked.

Nope! Collin replied. I will!

This was even more surprising to Zecorah and Ricco.

Well don’t look so surprised. Kaito chuckled. He is the only eligible dragon of his generation to become king. You see, only a certain species of dragons can rule all others because of our power and historical dominance.

“We’e probably already reported missing.” Ricco told Zecorah. “Maybe we can go on the journey.”

Zecorah nodded. “I was just thinking that.”

Then you shall go. Kaito said. He spread his wings, lifted his head and opened his jaws. From his throat, came a roar that only a true king could produce. It was powerful, commanding, and ear-piercing. The force almost sent the two teenagers flying backwards. From the mouth of the cave came a wisp of smoke, which produced a dragon who body with white, emitting a white, airy substance that didn’t look like smoke.

This is Cosmos, a Cloud Dragon. Kaito introduced. Like most Cloud dragons, he is a mute, but he does understand human language. He will be your guide through your journey.

Cosmos lowered his neck, allowing Zecorah and Ricco to climb on. Collin had went to fetch there bags. When they were on, Ricco asked Kaito where they were headed.

Asia. More specifically, China.

They soared beneath the clouds, Ricco holding onto Cosmos’ wispy mane. Although it looked like something one would be unable to grasp, Ricco held on firmly. Zecorah, on the other hand, had her hands placed on Cosmos’ back, behind Rico. She looked at their surroundings below them, almost invisible from afar. She smiled. The world seemed so small below them. Ricco turned his head.

“This is pretty nice huh?” He said. “Almost out of a fairytale.” Zecorah looked at her friend.

“Yeah.” She agreed. “Almost just like that.”

Cosmos stopped moving forward. He levitated by flapping his wisp-like wings. Ricco turned to place a hand on the dragon’s neck.

“He’s tense.” Ricco noted. “Something’s not right.”

Zecorah immediately began scanning their surroundings. Everything seemed calm. No other dragons, no men dressed in black (at this altitude, their was no way they would be able to even see the teenagers riding a dragons made of clouds), nothing. “I wonder what’s wrong then.” Zecorah said as she rested her gaze on the dragon she and Ricco rode.

“Maybe it’s something only Cosmos can feel.” Ricco suggested.

“Perhaps.” Zecorah shrugged. She leaned back and rested on the dragon’s back. Cosmos slowly began flying in the same direction. The air grew tense. Not because of an awkward silence between the teenagers and mute dragon, but physically tense. It made Zecorah sit up. The air grew moist. A drizzle had began to fall. Zecorah and Ricco covered their heads.

“Is this what Cosmos was worried about?” Zecorah asked.

“I don’t know.” Ricco said. “But let’s find a place to land.”

Cosmos took the hint and began to descend. But to the three’s dismay, there was water beneath them. They were above a large body of water.

“How did we get this far?” Ricco questioned.

“Beats me.” Zecorah sighed. “Let’s try to find land soon.” Cosmos flew at a faster speed, searching for land. Thunder soon came. Although there was no lightning visible just yet, the thunder was enough to frighten Zecorah. About half a minute passed before lighting struck dangerously close to the teenagers and the dragon.

“Cosmos!” Ricco called over the now pouring rain and claps of thunder. “I know this is a lot to ask of you, but could you possibly find land and fast?” Cosmos only sped up his pace and lowered his altitude. Soon, Zecorah pointed.

“There!”

Sure enough, there was a small strip of island sat not too far from them. It had been hard to see because they had been so high up.

“Let’s land there then!” Ricco said to Cosmos. Just as the Cloud Dragon came towards the shore, lighting struck his left wing and he and the teenagers collapsed into the water. The waves stung against their backs as their bodies, both human and reptilian, collided with the water; it felt as it thought someone had poured water over their backs and slapped it right afterwards. Ricco opened his crystalline blue eyes under the water to see Zecorah making frantic hand motions. She was next to Cosmos’s limp body. Though her movements made no sense in sign language, Ricco knew what they meant and he swam to help Zecorah push Cosmos to shore. As their heads broke through the surface, they gasped for their much needed air as they kicked their legs to shore. Once Cosmos was safely to the sand, Ricco began checking over the cloud dragon’s body while Zecorah swam back into the shallow, yet chopping waves to gather their belongings. She had hauled back the last of their fallen items when she heard Ricco’s sharp inhale of breath.

“What’s wrong?’ Zecorah asked as she began to dry her hair out.

“Cosmos’s wing…” Ricco couldn’t find the correct words.

“Is it broken?” Zecorah asked. Ricco looked up to Zecorah, the fear in his eyes striking into hers.

“It’s gone.”

Zecorah dropped the soaked items that she had held. Her eyes, now orange, grew wide.

“What do you mean it’s gone?” She demanded. “How can it be gone? His wing is a physical object, it can’t just disappear.” Zecorah’s fists clenched. Ricco shrugged in surrender and confusion. `

“Come and see for yourself.” He said. Zecorah walked over, slowly, as if scared to see the truth of Cosmos’s wing. Sure enough, to Zecorah’s fear the wing was no longer there, as if it had been nonexistent to begin with. Zecorah fell to her knees. Cosmos moved his head in a drowsy manner, probably from the pain and touched his snout to Zecorah’s hand. Zecorah looked to the fallen dragon, her blue eyes watering with stinging tears. Ricco stood up and began to gather his and Zecorah’s belongings to a dry area.

“Let’s see if we can wait out the storm until morning.” Ricco said in a suggesting tone, but he was trying to gently order Zecorah to a safer place. Zecorah turned her head slightly so that Ricco could see only a small portion of her face.

“I’m staying here with Cosmos.” She insisted. “To make sure he’s ok.”

Ricco looked at Zecorah as she lay in the wet sand beside Cosmos. He lay under a tree a little ways away from them and watched them before drifting off into a slumber of his own.

In the morning, Ricco woke up to shuffling. He had only half-opened his eyes when he saw small dragons fluttering around Cosmos and Zecorah. They represented that of a Komodo dragon lizard, but they’re scales seemed out of place, almost like a person’s hair when they woke up. They’re eyes glowed a vicious black, like charcoal in a bonfire after the flames died down. They’re teeth were sharp. The small dragons began to nip at Cosmos’s body, clawing at his wispy scales. Ricco darted up and grabbed a nearby stick. He ran to Cosmos and began swinging the branch, yelling like madman. Zecorah woke up to the screams and opened her own eyes. She saw the attacking dragons and Ricco, eyes wide and wild, swinging the branch in multiple directions. Zecorah thrust her foot out, kicking one of the dragons away from Cosmos. Eventually, they dispersed and flew rapidly into the distant, screeching in dismay. Ricco turned his body and slammed the branch into the tree he had been sleeping under. He let out a cry of an emotion that wasn’t anger, but full of adrenaline and power. The branch splintered and fell to the ground. Zecorah sprang upwards and hooked her hands from behind him around his shoulders to pull him from the tree. Ricco fought and resisted vigorously. Zecorah looked behind them to see she was only a few feet from the water. With a powerful kick off of her legs, Zecorah sent herself and Ricco flying into the water. The cold water splashed against Ricco’s face and he was shocked him back to reality. Zecorah was next to him, coughing water up and Ricco faced her.


“I’m sorry…” Ricco whispered. “I lost control again didn’t I?” Zecorah shook her head.

“You did.” She said. “But it’s fine.”

Ricco’s has had anger issues since he was a kid. He found it hard to cope with new situations and heavy pressure. He snapped easily and eventually, everyone was avoiding him by the time third grade came around. Zecorah was Ricco’s only friend throughout that period of time and for that Ricco was grateful.

Cosmos shifted his head and Ricco and Zecorah immediately got out of the water and fell beside the dragon. His sky blue eyes were full of agony. Parts of his body where the scavenger dragons had disappeared just like his wing. Ricco looked at Zecorah, who was trembling.

“He’s dying Z.” Ricco whispered. Zecorah shook her head.

“No!” She cried as tears flew. “He can’t die!”

“Zecorah, look at him!” Ricco exclaimed. “He’s fading. He’s dying.” Cosmos rested his head on Zecorah’s lap. As the wind blew, Cosmos’s skin went with it. Zecorah hugged Cosmos around the neck.

“No!” She cried out. “Don’t go!”

But it was no use. Eventually, Zecorah was gripping her ams over her chest, tears streaming wildly down her face. Cosmos was gone. He had been taken away by the wind, up into the clouds, where he would join the Cloud dragons who had gone before him.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.