Fallin | Teen Ink

Fallin

February 3, 2017
By Anonymous

“Come down, you’re going to want to see this”
“Coming”,”What’s up”
“Today, the military announced that Russia had launched a nuclear warhead in America and it will be landing in one hour”
Flay and his wife run to the bomb shelter across town.  Flay is running so fast that when he looks behind him he can’t see his wife.  He keeps running faster and faster till he gets to the shelter.  When the man in charge tells everyone they need to get in the shelter now, Flay can’t find his wife and has to enter the shelter alone. 
He came in the building only to find him and the overseer alone in a small bunker.  When him and the overseer heard the large blast of nuke wrecking the once beautifully small, town the bunker shook with such force it resembled that of an earthquake. 
When the shaking finally stopped, Flay fell to the ground with tears pouring out like a waterfall from every part of his eye till he felt dehydrated.  When he turned around to ask the overseer for some water, the thin man with a 10mm pistol shot the ground and scared Flay then Flay grabbed the gun out of the man’s hands and pistol whipped him so hard his jaw snapped off.  Then he grabbed a hazmat suit and some other supplies and was on his way.
When he finally got out of the metal box, Flay started exploring the destroyed town.  The first destination he thought to check was his old house.  He realised it would be destroyed, but went on his way anyway.  Along the way he found a large metal box in the ground he had never seen before.  There was a small hatch at the top that creaked as he opened it.  When the creaking started to get loud he heard a noise from the inside.  It was a dog.  The dog was a large and brown with a long tail.  When the dog saw him the dog barked so loud that Flay fell in the hatch landing on his chest.
When he brought his head back up to look for the dog, he got dog saliva all over his face.  The thick liquid slowly rolled down his face like a snail with crutches.  When he got back up he pet the furry mutt till it became his friend. 
“You know what dog this is going to be really mean, but I’m going to call you Dogmeat” “That’s it I’m officially crazy”,he proclaimed to himself ,“I’m literally talking to a dog”
“Rough”, barked out Dogmeat.
“No, now I’m crazy ,cause it sounded like you said to go toward that RV” 
“Bark”
“No I will not rub your belly right now!”  After the amazing conversation they went toward the RV till Flay noticed the man in the only see-through window.
“Finally more humans.  I can talk to them.  Will they be nice?” Flay thought a few moments before the distraught man shot at him ,but missed and hit the large tree with a large bang.  This startled Flay. 
“What the hell?  What was that for?  Why dude?  Hey! Stop shooting!  Wow that was close” “Dogmeat get’em” he exclaimed in a fiery rage as he hid behind a more protecting tree.  When the shooting stopped and the disgustingly rugged man said that he thought he was dead Flay snuck up behind him with Dogmeat and let Dogmeat have him. 
He put the key in the ignition and turned the key ,but all he heard was a spitter from the engine.  When he finally gave up trying to start the empty car, he went on his way to his house.  After a long time traveling ,he doesn’t know because he hit his watch a tree a few blocks back, he got to his house.  When he saw the once beautiful and white house with a fountain and a luscious green hedge is now a large emptiness of destruction and sadness.  The house was just not there ,all there was was a hole the size of the moon’s biggest crater and a lake of radioactive waste.  Flay fell to his knee with the deadness of a corpse and salt water rushed down his face like a waterfall till he couldn’t cry any more from dehydration and took a drink of his water which was then beginning to be like he felt, empty. 
As Flay pulled himself off the ground with the little strength to survive he had left, he realised he needed to get more pure water to soothe his thirsty body.  Flay crawled around to the nearest city he knew that may have something for him to drink ,until he came across the fallen sign of a Walmart that now spelled out “wart” with the few letters left.  As he limped into the shattered glass doors, he saw that on the first shelf to the left there was the holy grail, the only thing he wanted right that second, a fish tank full of water, and also fish poop. 
When he got his energy back, he was no longer thirsty for more of the disgusting water; he didn’t need it anymore.  He walked through the store wondering what else he would find in the land commercial items.  While he searched, he found tons and tons of things he needed and desired: a loaf of bread, an old package of meat, a moldy apple that literally had a family of worms in it, and a whole row full of water, bottled water.  He wished he would have come there first ,because he just drank s***ty water ,but he still wanted it nonetheless. 
As he left the magical store with all his new found treasures, he realised that he didn’t know where to go next ,so he found a map of the state ,closed his eyes and poked a spot.  He landed on the caverns.  He’d been to the caverns before ,but he was a little interested to see what it looked like now that the entire country looked as empty and lonely as a cavern ,so he started his way south. 
As he got there he found what looked like a graveyard and thought to himself and thought
“That place would be full if somebody continued burying bodies.”  Afterwards, he walked with Dogmeat to continue to the cavern.  The cavern was a long ways away he thought ,but he wasn’t sure ,because the corner of the map with the legend was ripped off and unreadable.  The longer he walked the more confused he was every hill was destroyed, every road the kind you would see in a western where the cowboy kills bandits ,and when he looks at the trees all he sees are stumps that will never grow back.  When he gets over a what he thinks is a hill he sees it ,the old entrance to the caverns.  It wasn’t the gift shop that was in front of it ,but the hole left to enter through.
When he entered the cavern he found that the steps that used to be there were now steep slopes that at a wrong step would leave you laying on the bottom with a stalagmite through your head.  As he hoped that didn’t happen, he slowly walked down the slope ,but then one small revolting slimy bat knocked him over leaving him sliding quickly down into the cavern.
At the bottom was a cavernous ravine.  The ravine’s water was shiny, sparkling, almost glowing ,in a good way, and when he splashed into it some water got in his mouth.  While he was worried of radiation he figured out that when he tasted it didn’t taste like sewage, it didn’t taste like radiation, no, it tasted like water ,pure water.  The more he drank, the better he felt.  He even felt better than before the nuclear bomb blew up.  He felt great. 
Though he felt amazing, he had an eerie feeling that something was down there ,that he wasn’t alone.  So, he went deeper and deeper into the cave and he started to hear a loud roar sound coming from even farther down in the deep deep cave.  As he got closer the sound got more distinct.
“Roar!!!”, he heard louder than ever.  And he knew it was right around the corner, because around the entrance to the next part of the cave was the largest animal he had ever seen. 
It was a twenty foot tall, five ton, monster of a beast, a squirrel.  It was a twenty foot tall squirrel with razor sharp teeth and millions of little squirrels surrounding it as if it was their leader, which he wouldn’t have a problem with, because it was freaking huge.  As he got closer to the furry yet terrifying animal he was more certain he wanted to leave and walk away, but he was too scared to move in the first place.  So, he didn’t move, but since he had not eaten since he found the store his belly growled so loud that all the little squirrels turned around to bite the living daylights out of him and Dogmeat. 
Then he remembered he still had that crazy man’s gun and started gunning down all the little squirrels like target practice.  One at a time, the squirrels ferociously bit and ripped off one of his ears and he shot them all with an ear piercing blast till all the squirrels died with bullets in their furry faces.  All that was left was the behemoth one.  It was so big when it stepped closer the ground shook and knocked him over onto his butt. 
When it shook he figured,”I’m faster than that thing I can run out the way I entered” ,but as he said that the behemoth squirrel took one huge step and the rocks above the exit fell and he knew he was trapped with the beast.  Then he screamed so loudly someone on the surface ,if they were there, would tell him to shut the heck up.  When he was tired from all the screaming he did he ran around the giant opening of which he would be trapped in forever unless he beat the giant mammal and broke through layers and layers of rocks. 
So once he ran out of energy to do anything he exclaimed to the squirrel,”Just eat me.  I am too weak to fight and too trapped to leave so, eat me.”  He laid down and gave up.  He let the beast have him.  He was done ,but the squirrel never did.  The reason the squirrel didn’t attack him is because the squirrel was already hibernating for the long winter ahead,so Flay tried to dig through the thick unrelenting walls with everything he had from his beaten up hands to the bones of the animals that ripped him up. 
So after living giving the wall all he had and trying everything his fist sized brain could think of, the man who had lost everything from his family, to his house, to his friends.  Flay had to eat his fluffy soft companion Dogmeat ,but Dogmeat was thinking the same thing and started lunging at Flay and Flay with the only energy he had left stepped to the side barreling Dogmeats face straight into the stone wall with all the force Dogmeat had busting his face on impact.  That was the end of Dogmeat and Flay couldn’t take the sorrow anymore ,so he brought his knees to his chest and waited for the cold embrace of death and after waiting for an hour or so ,he couldn’t tell.  He died of starvation never escaping the large stone casket.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.