Fawno: The Great Fall | Teen Ink

Fawno: The Great Fall

By RhyanJenkins22 GOLD, Mexia, Texas
RhyanJenkins22 GOLD, Mexia, Texas

" I came, I saw, I conquered"

Author's note:

This isn't quit finished yet, but I'm most definitly working on the rest of it. ENJOY! And feedback is Welcome!

In the eastern sky, the sun slowly rose; its warming rays illuminated a valley far below. The early morning dew melted off the short blades of grass as the sun rose further and further in the sky. The subtle scent of honeysuckle wafted through the morning air, as a thunder of hooves vibrated the very earth from the south of the valley.

"Hang on a sec Sion! Let's give our yonsi a break." Prince Halluck shouted over the pounding of their mounts hooves.

Sion reigned in his yonsi next to Halluck's, its sides heaving, sweat dripping off its flanks from their morning run.

Yonsi, nicknamed pocket horses, had the unique ability to shrink. They averaged about sixteen hands high, with short manes and tails. They generally were more popular to the region of Resulu. Pocket horses come in a variety of colors, even unlikely ones such as; reds, blues, and purples. Due to their astounding ability to talk to humans and animals alike, along with them being very resilient to most diseases just added to their overall value. They were usually given to children at birth by parents who could afford them. The children and Yonsi grew together cementing their bond. Also known for their loyalty and hard working personalities, they tended to stay with their owners til death.

"Hey, Speck are you ok?" Sion asked with concern in his voice, leaning over his neck to rub his shoulder lovingly.

"Yes sire, just a little drained is all." Speck said tiredly shaking his mane. Sion reached into his saddle bag and gave him a sweet carrot. Halluck followed suit with his yonsi, Tornew, before they both settled down in their saddles and gazed at the rising sun.

After a brief break, Halluck leaned toward to his mounts ear and whispered, " Hey, Tornew you wanna race back to the kingdom?" Tornew neighed in response, prancing in excitement.

"What's gotten into..." Sion started to ask Halluck suspiciously, until he was cut off by him slapping his yonsi's hindquarters. Neighing in surprise, Speck bolted off suddenly, making Sion hang on for dear life. Laughing boisterously, Halluck spurred Tornew into a gallop and raced after Sion and Speck.

As they neared Resulu, the capital of Fawno, they slowed back down to a trot taking in the magnificent view before them. Resulu stood upon a hilltop looking down upon the luscious farmland that surrounded it. It's food grew in abundance on the fertile land, keeping the city well stocked and feed. The city, a bustling hive of activity, was protected by walls of thick diamonds with guards posted at various points along its top. The homes themselves were glided in a faint shade of gold that sparkled in the midday sun. But the most notable thing about Resulu was its castle, Angra, that dominated the city. It sat against the back wall of the city. Its towers were adorned in the bluest gems set into a backdrop of white gold.When the sun hits the castle walls at midday, just right, the gems shone for miles. A cobblestone road was the only way into the city, where guards stood at attention with swords made of the finest steel in all of Resulu, at the ready.

These guards weren't just any normal human guards, they were the feared Yagar. Standing at a staggering seven feet tall they packed a mean punch. Part of the Nygar race, they have white wings that stretch twelve feet across, fur that glistened black as midnight from head to tail, and deep penetrating eyes that intimidate even the most hardened criminals. Their customs groomed them from cubs to powerful combative adults proficient in weaponry and fighting. Equipped with dark purple armor, a long sword, and a diamond shaped shield, no one ever bothered them.

For generations they protected the royalty and their kingdoms, from Resulu and its bustling cities, to the floating kingdom of Nelter, to the mountain ranges of Vical, thee distant and strange land of Karworth, to the swamplands of Terwa, and the deserts of Lispace.

As Sion and Halluck approached, the Yagar quickly bowed away from the gates, while a group of them surround the Princes. The group moved forward, the guards shouting as they moved down the lane.

"Make way! Make way for the Prince's!" The citizens quickly dropped into bows up and down the main street.

Completely oblivious to his surroundings, Halluck abruptly said, "I want to travel...' Sion glanced over in surprise at Hallucks outburst.

"Travel? For what?" Sion asked curiously .

"Well as you know, I've been working on my book of creatures. I want the chance to be able to travel to the six kingdoms of Fawno and document every creature that exist." Halluck said with passion in his voice.

"What about our kingdoms, our people, and the duty to the crowns?" Sion asked angrily. The mere thought of Halluck shrinking his duty to travel for such frivolous things upset Sion. They had a duty to their kingdom and their parents.

A prince of Resulu, Sion stood at six foot even with burnt caramel colored skin, midnight black hair cut into a military style showing his unmarried statues and his mother's emerald green eyes. A slender, willowy body combined with a scholarly and loyal personality marked him as an intellectual future king rather than a fighter like his father. His stuffy, know-it-all attitude tended to put people off, but his best friend since birth, Halluck, who seemed to think it was funny. Many wondered how Halluck and him got along so well.

Halluck, the more playful of the two, was practically Sion's opposite. Standing at five foot eleven inches with a lanky muscular body, he was marked a product of Karworth with his honey colored skin, bright hazel eyes, and his brunette hair braided to show his unmarried status as a prince. Even though they were both the same age, that was all they shared in common. With his intelligent, charismatic, honest, and humble personality, he made friends easily. He was a natural adventurer and loved to explore.

He was staying at the castle Angra because his parents, King Lonwa and Queen Genevieve of Karworth were busy conducting business elsewhere in the land. Not wanting to be stranded in the castle by himself, he begged and pleaded with his parents to stay with his best friend Sion till they returned. And so far he hadn't regretted his choice yet.

Halluck, taken aback by the anger in Sion's voice said, "Yes those are important as well, but I want my freedom while I still have it.

Shaking his head in disgust, Sion retorted, " You can't just up and leave your studies just because you want."

Halluck gaped at Sion in utter surprise and hurt. He knew Sion was determined to be a good king, but the figured he would understand how Halluck felt about traveling. They fell into an uneasy silence. The yonsi, sensing the tension, neighed nervously. As they neared the gates of the castle. Sion glanced over at Hallucks hunched figure.

Maybe I was a bit harsh. I mean traveling could be really fun. To be able to see the kingdoms and all their beauty. Maybe I was a little jealous, Hallucks always been more adventurous and outgoing than me. And to be a good king, I at least have to know what the rest of Fawno looks like. I need to apologize...

"....Sion.....Sion. Hello, you in there?" Halluck asked worriedly. Shaking his head, Sion looked around to find out they had made it through the castle gates into the courtyard.

"I'm fine." Sion snapped, jumping off his yonsi and handing the reigns to the waiting stable boy. Halluck glared at Sion's retreating back before patting Tornew and Specks sides.

"I'll see you guys later. Sorry about the way today ended." Halluck said, digging in his pocket for the last of the sugar cubes. Giving each yonsi one, he then turned and raced after Sion, catching him just as the reached the castle steps.

When the reached him, Sion abruptly turned and quickly said, "I'm sorry for earlier. I just...I can't imagine having the guts to travel and explore...." Trailing off Sion looked at the ground.

Grinning broadly, Halluck asked, "Well then why don't you come with me? We can see Fawno together!" Sion hesitated for a moment then smile as well.

"I'd like that a lot." The said with a hint of excitement in his voice. Smiling happily they pushed open the castle doors and went inside.

Tucked away at the back of Resulu, the magnificent castle Angra stood three stories high, cast in gems of the deepest blue. Surrounded by three solid walls that connected to the main wall as well as four guard towers at each corner, the castle offered a formidable view.

In the courtyard,a few feet from the castle front doors sat an intricately designed fountain. Water flowed from a flower rising from the fountains center. To the right of the courtyard were the stables and holding pens for the royal families yonsi, as well as providing enough room for any visiting royalties steeds. To the left of the yard were the princes' and honor guards training grounds; where they were taught hand to hand combat as well as sword fighting.

Further ahead up the stairs through the castle doors, a long thick red rug led straight up to the thrones. The thrones themselves were cast in gold and silver for the king and queen. Along each wall of the room were various pedestals bearing old and unique weapons collected by the king during the old wars. Court was held here twice a week, allowing the common folk and the creatures a place to air any wrongs done against them.

To the right of the castle doors was the dining hall, separated from the throne room by a thick wall. A long, thick oak table sat in the middle of the room, able to seat well over a hundred guest. Hanging on the left wall were beautiful woven tapestries of all the previous kings and queens. To the right, set into the wall, was a fireplace tall enough to fit a grown man comfortably and wide enough to fit four robust women side by side. On either side of the immense fireplace were the doors to the kitchens. At the very back of the dining hall hidden behind a tapestry of the kings crest was a door that led to a small meeting room for the kings and his royal advisors.

Back out in the entryway, to the left of the castle doors was another room housing two sets of spiral stairs going up and down. One set had a beautifully garnished hand rail made just for royalty and other upper class. The plain set of stairs near the back of the room were for the servants and guards.

The boys walked into the castle, heading upstairs to their respective rooms to get ready for their classes.

"Hurry up Halluck! We can't be late again." Sion yelled as the reached his bedroom door.

Further down the hall, Halluck muttered darkly, "One time! One time I wake up a little late," as he entered his room. He hastily tore off his riding clothes throwing them on his bed and yanking on his school uniform, a short sleeve white tunic and a simple pair of black trousers. Halluck stuffed some parchment and quills into his bag and flew to his bedroom door. Meeting Sion out in the corridor, they rushed down the hall to their classroom. Opening the door, they grabbed a seat at their desk and waited. Professor Bachson came in shortly afterward.

A tall slender man, Professor Bachson was a severely strict teacher. Quiet and studious, his main subject and passion was law writing.Hand picked by Prince Sion's father, the choose to treat the prince like any other student of his, assigning homework almost daily. He spent his time, when not teaching, in the king's massive library furthering his knowledge of the laws.

"Today we will be discussing the fundamentals of law writing as well as why it's an important skill to have." He stated in a flat monotone voice while organizing some paperwork on his desk. Halluck groaned quietly and Sion shot him a bored look before pulling out some parchment. Following his example, Halluck began to take notes while his mind wandered. Professor Bachson's monotone voice washed over him.

"Prince Halluck!" Professor said sharply. Shaking his head to clear the fog, Halluck looked guiltily at him.

"Yes Professor?" He mumbled.

"Can you enlighten me as to what are the top three fundamental needs of law writing?" Bachson asked squinting down his nose at Halluck.

Gulping and looking around helplessly, Halluck shook his head no.

"Well then you can explain it to me Monday in an essay. I want at least three parchments covered front and back." Professor Bachson said icely as the went back to his desk.

"Now as I was saying. Law writing is an essential skill to have as a king. But you must first develop the skill of understanding the intricate and complex past laws as well as the new laws. You can't just pass a law without understanding what consequences could arise. Law writing in itself is all about cause and effect." He said while settling into his chair.

The rest of the hour dragged past, Halluck trying desperately to pay attention, and Sion quickly taking notes. Finally class was over and gathering their things, they headed toward the door.

"Can you believe this? Homework? On a Friday? How can he expect us to pay attention if the just drones on like that? And why didn't you warn me!" Halluck said heatedly.

"With you spacing out all the time during his class, what do you expect? And you try doing anything funny with those hawk eye's of his watching." Sion said matter of factly.

"Oh, shut it." Halluck growled, "You're just happy you don't have to do homework."

Sion very quickly became interested in putting his class book away. Pushing open the door they walked a few feet to their next class, History.

Their history teacher, Professor Tricdo, was already waiting for them. As they sat down, Tricdo began speaking.

"History...is more than our past actions written down. It can guide us into the future as well. Now can either of you tell me how that's possible?"

Sion raised his hand eagerly. He loved history and spent a lot of his day in his room reading assorted books regarding Fawno's past. Professor Tricdo pointed at him and waited patiently for him to answer.

"History guides our path into the future by showing us who our allies are, how our enemies have fought before, as well as our past fighting techniques and the flaws within them. Looking at where we've come from can stop us from making the same mistakes." Sion said proudly. The professor beamed at him, while Halluck rolled his eyes skyward.

"That is quite correct my dear boy. Correct indeed. Now if you'll turn to page twenty eight in your books, we can finish up with the last War of the Lands." Professor Tricdo stated happily.

Professor Tricdo was the complete opposite of Professor Bachson. Whereas Bachson was tall, slender, and well kept, Tricdo was short, round, and quite a bit messy. Sporting a trimmed goatee and mustache with a full head of strikingly messy grey hair, the seemed older than his years. History was his passion and he could often be found buried in history books at the back of the king's library.

Finally after what felt like ages to Halluck, but was in reality a little over an hour and a half, they were done with their morning classes. Stretching and yawning, Halluck grinned happily as they strolled down the hall to their rooms, dropping off their bags and papers to prepare for lunch.

Heading downstairs, Sion thought out loud, "Mmmmm, I wonder what's for lunch?"

"You're always hungry! Where does all that food go?" Halluck asks looking at Sion's scrawny body. Laughing sarcastically, Sion pushes Halluck playfully as they make their way downstairs.

As they approach the dinning hall doors, a guard comes to attention, bringing his fist to his forehead and quickly bowing.at the waist wings spread.

"Your Highness', the King and Queen would like for me to inform you that they will be dining with you this afternoon. They will be down shortly." The guard growls in a deep resonating voice, while lifting from his bow.

"Very well message received." Sion said in his best commanding voice. The yagar bowed again and opened the hall doors.

Sniffing the air hungrily, SIon and Halluck quickly walk to their seats to the right and left of the two head chairs.

"I wonder why my mom and dad want to have lunch. Their usually too busy to make it here in the afternoon." Sion asked curiously, unfolding his kerchief for his lasp. Halluck shrugged distractedly as the servants brought in their lunch time meal.

"Mmmmm! Squrgile meat stew......with garlic bread!" Sion sniffed happily. Halluck shook his head in wonder at Sion's nose.

"Yes sire. I pray it's to your liking." The chef said, dropping to a knee, palms flat on the ground and bowing at the waist as was customary in the kingdom.

Nodding his head, Sion mumbled, "Oh yes it most certainly is. You're dismissed now." Getting up the kitchen's main chef walked back through the staff doors just as the king and queen were being announced at the dining hall doors.. Jumping up, Sion and Halluck quickly checked that their clothes were presentable, while the servants around them dropped hastily into their customary bows. As the King and Queen walked in the prince's dropped their heads down put their right palms flat to their hearts, as was the way for children of royalty in Resulu.

The King nodded his head in acknowledgement of their show of respect. Servants pulled the king and queen's seats back at the head of the table. Clapping his hands, the room cleared except for the occupants at the table.

"Now we have some privacy. Let us eat before the Queen and I discuss why we've come to lunch so unexpectedly." The King said regally, picking up a golden spoon.

As if on cue a short wiry boy came out with a small blue spoon. The gracefully dropped to his knees, with head bowed, palms touching the ground. The king cleared his throat indicating that the boy could stand and come forward. He came and stood next to King Nithar and dipped his spoon into the king's stew. The swished the stew around his mouth, slowly chewing and finally swallowing it. Everyone waited patiently for the boy to move. Nodding his head the boy gave his consent that the stew was safe to eat. Lunch had officially started. The only sounds that could be heard was the soft clink of glass and small contented sighs.

King Nithar was a tall imposing man. The strutted around his castle and kingdom with an air of pride and confidence. At six foot five inches he struck an intimidating figure, with his broad shoulders, muscular arms, and tree trunk like thighs. He was blessed with a combination of wild black hair that tumbles down to his shoulders, light brown eyes, and dark velvety chocolate skin. There was no question of his lineage from the long line of warrior kings that had ruled Resulu over the ages. Despite his fearsome build, King Nithar of Resulu was a patient, gentle, and firm ruler.

His lovely wife, Queen Moratu was a dainty five foot five inches next to her husband's imposing figure. Where she came from no one really knows. As the rumor goes, one dark evening, King Nithar took his fastest yonsi and set off into the night along. When the returned two days later dirty and worn down, the came with a new found wife. Many suspected, with her long black hair, emerald eyes, and pale snow white skin, that her homeland was the bitter cold mountain ranges of Vical. Of course, no one dared asked if this was true. A fiery and passionate women, she tended to do things herself, rather than wait for them to be done for her. She stood as an equal to her husband and they ruled Resulu, firm and fair.

As lunch drew to an end Nithar cleared his throat, causing a flurry of activity as the servants swept away the dishes.

"Now that our bellies are full, we may now have clear minds." He murmured contently.

Glancing at his wife, he began informing the boys of his future plans."Boys, the Queen and I are being called away on official business. We will be gone for only a short duration, during which we will stay in contact through air message. We would like for you both to continue your studies in our absence."

Sion looked at Halluck, surprise evident in his eyes. "Father, I was under the impression you had canceled most of your minor out of city meetings for a few weeks." He asked curiously.

Halluck quickly threw in, "And what's so important, your majesty, that you have to leave so suddenly?"

The King narrowed his eyes at Halluck's outburst, again glancing at his wife. This time Moratu spoke up firmly, "Some of our affairs do not concern you. This is one of them. It would be most wise for children to hold their tongues in adult situations. We shall depart tonight. Is that understood.?"

Realizing their mistake, SIon and Halluck quickly stood up stiffly, bowing their heads. " Forgive us, for we have spoken out of turn." Sion said formally. With a stiff nod the King and Queen stood and swept out of the dining hall, doors closing with a loud thud behind them.

Shocked silence echoed through the hall as the boys stared after the king and queen.

"What.....What just happened." Sion asked blankly.

Halluck shook his head, "I believe we were just put in our places. Man, your mom and dad have never acted like that before."

"They did.....seem a bit odd." Sion said thoughtfully.

"Well whatever reason their leaving may be really serious and could just be stressing them out....." Halluck said hesitantly.

The boys shook their heads in concern at the king and queens unexpected behavior. Sion glanced at the sun's position through the window and with a start realized how far the sun had sunk in the afternoon sky.

"Halluck we're running late!" Sion exclaimed.

"Oh, man....." Halluck groaned.

They quickly ran out the dining room into the entrance hall. Bursting through the front door, they shielded their eyes from the glaringly bright afternoon sun. Slowing to a jog, they finally made their way to the sparring ground gates.

Their instructors, twin yagar's, were also the King's army Generals as well as his war strategizers. Standing at the average height of a yagar, General Andemar and General Alliman, were renowned for their fighting skills. Twins were a unique rarity in the Nygar race and was seen as a blessing from the gods, known only to come every 100 years. Their strength and skills in weaponry and sparring, were unparalleled in all of Resulu.

General Andemar and Alliman were completely identical to each other. The only telling difference between the two was that Andemar has a thick scar running over his left eye, leaving him partially blind. Despite that setback, they were both still fierce in the battlefield. Their strength, fluid like movements and ambiguity allowed them the skill to use a wide range of weapons, from a simple sword and shield to a double handed warhammer.

Upon entering the sparring grounds, Sion and Halluck saw their instructors meditating next to each other on the training field. Trying to make as little noise as possible, they eased onto the field from the specter area, heading to a corner.

"You are late...." Andemar growled, tail twitching angrily.

Alliman shifted and smoothly stood up, stretching his wings. Sion and Halluck gulped, somewhat scared of the power and strength their instructors possed.

Licking his suddenly dry lips, Sion apologized, "We are sorry Sir. We....were held up at lunch."

All of a sudden, a blur of dark blue fur flew through the air and tackled the boys. Knocking Halluck to the ground facedown, Alliman held his arms behind him as struggled to get up. Andemar held Sion by his shirt collar, lifting his feet off the ground easily.

Finally when they stopped struggling, Alliman rumbled, "Their are no excuses to being late. It is a disgrace when royality shows up after everyone else. Am I understood? And never let your guard down. If you had been paying attention to us, instead of cowering in the corner. you would've seen our attack. "

Not waiting for an answer, Alliman tossed Sion onto the ground, while Andemar climbed off of Halluck.

They struggled to stand up, anger and embarrassment, burning in their eyes. Andemar said calmly, "Now that we have your undivided attention, let us begin. ATTACK!"

As the sun set for the day, Sion and Halluck groaned audibly at the beating they had received from their instructors. Time and time again they had received vicious attacks with weapons and fist that they were expected to defend against. Then the boys had to try and break past their defense and land a blow to the yagars. Nothing seemed to work. Finally after three hours of relentless training, it was over.

"Your skills are developing nicely boys. Halluck, you need to work on your sword stance. Sion you need to put more power behind your punches. Once you learn to follow through with an attack and stop hesitating, you'll be more likely to land one." Andemar said, curling his tail around his thigh.

"We will continue tomorrow at noon. ON TIME. We will be teaching you both how to defend against a group of armed enemies." Alliman growled softly.

The boys noded tiredly and headed to their rooms for a much needed hot soak.

“HALLUCK! Wake up!” Sion yelled through Hallucks bedroom door, continuing to pound on the thick wood.
A loud crash could be heard on the other side of the door, followed by some even louder cursing.
Flinging the door open, making Sion jump back startled, Halluck roared, “WHAT! Why are you pounding on my door at this ungodly hour on a Saturday?”
He stood there in a pair of sleeping breeches, chest bare, hair messed up from sleep. His face was a snarl of frustration at being awaken before the sun was properly over the horizon.
“I’m worried about my parents. It’s been a week and a half since they’ve left and we have yet to hear word from them. Whenever I ask one of their advisers, no one can give me a straightforward answer.” Sion said quietly, worry etched all over his face.
Halluck, having calmed down some, finally looked at his best friend. Sion stood hunched over in the same clothes he had worn in yesterday evening's classes. He looked exhausted and was barely standing. 
Sighing, Halluck ushered him into his room closing the door behind him. “There has to be some reason they haven’t made contact. Maybe wherever they went, their messenger birds can’t reach us.” He said in a calming voice while he put on his riding gear.
Sion went over to Hallucks water basin and splashed his face with cold water. “Your right. My parents are probably fine and just couldn’t reach us yet. I’ll go and get dressed. A ride and some fresh air will do me some good.”
Smiling now, Sion rushed out to get ready. After he had hastily thrown on his gear, they meet up at the stairs.
Breathing in the scent of fresh hay and the underlying smell of spring, Sion finally relaxed. He and Halluck silently got their sleepy yonsi ready for an early morning ride. Brushing them down and settling their harnesses, the boys mounted and rode toward the city gates.
“So where shall we go today?” Sion asked happily, feeling the breeze blow through his short hair, finally relaxed.
Halluck didn’t immediately answer, because just then he had heard a voice floating along the breeze…..come to me young one. So bright is your heart...come to me. Glancing around uneasily, he couldn’t seem to place the source of the voice, but could feel a tugging in his heart to go east.
“Let’s go east….into the woods. I have yet to fully explore that part of your lands for my book. I would love to see if I can discover anymore creatures.” Halluck said slowly, still looking around for the voice.
Sion glanced at him curiously, before shrugging, “Sure whatever you want. There shouldn’t be any dangerous animals that way, though very few people go through there.”
Halluck seemed utterly oblivious to his surroundings, lost as he was in his thoughts. They walked along in silence, Sion glancing occasionally at Halluck, wondering why he wasn't reacting to the new animals. As the sun hit its halfway point across the sky, they finally stopped for a snack. Sion looked around worriedly,realizing he didn't recognize this part of the woods.
“Hey Halluck I don't think I've been out this far before. Where are we?” He mumbled around his bread and cheese.
“I'm not sure. I felt in my heart that I was supposed to come here to a cave.....” Halluck trailed off uncertainly at the look on Sion's face.
“You felt in your heart to come here?” Sion asked aghast. Sion was feeling a mixture of anger and confusion at Halluck's very strange behavior. But just as he was getting ready to further question his actions, Halluck jumped up and ran off into the trees. Startled, Sion chased after him calling his name frantically as he lost him in the trees.
Halluck tore through the trees as a faint pounding could be heard getting louder in his head as he drew closer to what looked to be a cave set into low hill. Eventually he stopped at its entrance, panting as a furious Sion came up alongside him.
“What the devil is wrong with you!” Sion shouted angrily as he got his breathe back.
“Something is drawing me to this cave Sion and I need to know what it is. So either you're with me or you can stay out here.” Halluck said defiantly as he walked determinedly into the cave.
Sion hesitated, then quickly followed after his friend. Glancing back at him, Halluck smiled, glad that he wouldn't have to do this alone. The cave was well lit with glowing moss, so the boys progress was relatively easy as they pushed deeper and deeper into the cave. Halluck could feel the pounding almost deafen him as the came into a cavern filled with water. Abruptly the noise stopped. The cavern was only tall enough for them to stand up straight in, but a vast pool spread out before them. A deep sinister red glow could be seen at the bottom of the pool of water. The boys looked around briefly before Halluck started undressing.
“You're not seriously about to go into that water are you?” Sion asked skeptically.
“Whatever has been making that noise and drawing me here is where that creepy light is at. I've got to find out what it is.” Halluck replied as he finished stripping down to his under clothes.
“Fine but if you're longer than five minutes I'm coming in after you!” Sion shouted as Halluck dived into the water.
While Sion sat and waited impatiently for him to return, Halluck swam quickly to the source of the light. As he drew closer to it, he realized It was a giant tome. Curious he reached to grab it, entranced by the fact that a book was glowing underwater. When he touched it a bright light flashed and words raced across his mind while a burning sensation spread across the back of his neck. Crying out Halluck struggled to breath, trying to swim desperately to the surface before he suddenly blacked out.
Sion was getting uneasy as time ticked away. Just as Hallucks five minutes were up, a bright flash seared through the cave blinding him. When his vision cleared Sion squeaked in shock to see Halluck's unconscious body next to him on the shore with a book besides him.
“What the.....” Sion whispered as he checked to make sure Halluck was still breathing. After making sure he was alive, Sion glanced fearfully at the book that had come with Halluck. Sliding over to it something compelled him to he trace his finger over the title, Warrill. Searing pain burns the back of his neck as words slide through his mind. The pain was so bad that Sion passed out, blackness sliding across his vision.
“Sion.....Sion! Wake up!” Halluck urgently whispered as he shook his friend awake.
“Ugh. What happened man?” He mumbled while sitting up shakily.
“Come look what I found. It's amazing!” Halluck said, excitement evident in his voice. As he turned away from Sion to reach for the book, Sion gasped in shock.
“What is that on the back of your neck Halluck?' Sion asked in fear as he gazed at what looked to be a upside down V with a double sided scythe running through it and two black dots inside each curve.
“Hold on, Alliki will explain everything.” He said confidently, grabbing the giant book off the ground. It was a leather bound tome of an unknown age. Set into its leather cover was the title Warrill. Sion looked confused as he glanced around the cavern looking for this other person.
I am Alliki, young human. Don't be frightened, I am here to guide you two down the pathway of enlightenment.
Sion leaped up at the deep voice that seemed to echo in his head. He looked over at Halluck's grinning face and calmed down a little.
“Is that.....the book talking to me?” He asked stepping toward Halluck and the book slowly.
No, it's your mother. Of course it's me! The only magical object around here.
Sion gaped at it, it's snarky response catching him off guard. Halluck burst out laughing at the books remark.
“You can hear him to?” Sion asked looking lost as these events continued to unfold.
“Yes and we can respond in the same way. Isn't this cool! This is magic Sion! Alliki says that he has something important to tell us.” Halluck said breathlessly, childish like glee plain in his voice.
  Yes, now If you two gentleman are done talking? Finally. As I have said before my name is Alliki. And I am from the race of Nithians. Unfortunately I am the last of my kind. In the year 10 HEK magic was banned so that a cult of evil creatures could take full control of the royal houses. But I must tell you this on the road because now we must leave.
“Leave? Leave and go where?” Halluck said his smile finally dying
I am sorry, but when I put my mark onto your necks, it activated your abilities. Sending a signal to our enemies who have been searching for me for years.
“Wait abilities? What abilities are you talking about? Because magic doesn't exist.” Sion said on the verge of hysteria.
Yes. Your right magic doesn't exist and I'm not real. Your both hallucinating and will wake up soon. OF COURSE MAGIC IS REAL!
“His sarcasm is getting old fast.” Sion mumbled dryly finally thinking logically, “ So what you're saying is that these marks are going to allow us to use magic, but at the same time it alerted you enemies to your location.....which happens to be us?”
Yes, basically. If you want to live we must leave now. The Lezga will be after us soon and if they find us now, without you two being properly trained then we are all doomed.
“We will go back to the castle, but when we get there you have a lot of explaining to do. We won't do or go anywhere till we have the full story.” Sion stated decisively.
Halluck nodded in consent, “Yeah I wanna know more before we make any rash decisions. Problem though. How are we gonna get you back? You're to heavy.”
As I continue to state you both have abilities now. All you have to do is will me smaller and it will be done.
Sion and Halluck glanced at each other in doubt. They closed their eyes and willed with their minds for a smaller book. When they opened their eyes, the book, or Alliki was smaller. The marks on the back of their necks burned a little at the magic use.
“Wow........what else can we do?” Sion asked excitedly.
Anything you put your minds to, but we must be off.
Nodding in agreement, the boys grabbed the book off the floor and ran through the tunnel that led to the cave. Bursting out in the open, they saw how late it was. The sun had began to set casting the woods into shadows. Quickly grabbing their mounts, they got up into the saddles and set off back home. As they neared the village surrounding the castle, they saw fire and smoke billowing out from some of the houses.
Something is wrong......NO! The Lezga have sent one of their agents.....He is number Seven, but could still do you both harm. We must flee!
Fear and shock spurred them on as they galloped past the gates of Resulu. The commoners and knights were running back and forth trying to desperately to put out the raging flames. Screams could be heard from people who had already lost their belongings and their families.
“Stop! What has happened?” Sion commanded a running commoner.
“Your Majesty! A figure dressed in a blood red robe came through here asking about you and your friend. He did something with his hands.....and that's how the fires started.” the commoner gasped frantically. Sion waved him on, fear written all over his face.
You must flee! That figure the man talked about is the Lezga. He is after you both and will kill without mercy or a second thought. If you want your villagers safe we must leave.
They continued past all the mayhem, trying desperately to make it to the castle to pack. When they made it into the courtyard, they jumped down from their yonsi and looked around. Nothing moved or stirred.
“Halluck gather food and medical supplies for our trip. I will get some money and clothes for us and our swords.” Sion said quickly as they ran into the castle.
“OK. We'll meet back in the courtyard and leave after.” Halluck shouted while he ran into the dining hall.
Sion ran upstairs to his room and gathered clothes and money stuffing both into a bag. After he had ransacked Hallucks room as well he ran back downstairs. Meeting Halluck just as he had finished gathering his items.
“Sion.....where is everybody?” Halluck whispered fearfully, looking around. Sion stopped what he was doing and realized that he had a point. It was empty in the entire castle. Not a sound could be heard.
“Let's get out of here. Got the book?” Sion asked worriedly. Halluck nodded grabbing his bag from Sion and stuffing the food and medical items into each bag. They raced out the doors when Halluck stopped abruptly on the stairs causing Sion to crash into him.
“What's wrong with....” Sion stopped as he realized they were no longer alone.
Fear shot through him like ice as he gazed upon the one that Alliki called the Lezga. It stood about 5'8” with a blood red robe that covered its entire body hiding its face. It stood by the stables uncomfortably close to their yonsi.
“Give....Me....The....Book...” It rasped in a voice that indicated it didn't talk much.
When he raises his hand hold me in front of you. I will try to protect you has much as I can, but you must reach your mounts and run.
They boys both nodded their understanding, but the Lezga caught them off guard. Instead of raising his arm and aiming at them he turned toward their mounts. Their eyes widened in horror as he said something in a strange language and their mounts collapsed where they stood.
“NO! SPECK! TORNEW! NO!” Sion and Halluck howled tears running down their faces.
“Give....Me....The....Book....And you will be spared.” It rasped at them stepping closer.
He lies. You have seen what he is capable of. He has no heart, no remorse. RUN!
With that shouted command, the boys took off running headlong toward the Lezga, bags bouncing on their backs. It raised its arm and shouted something in that same language. A bolt of light shot toward them and Halluck held the book in front of them while they still ran. Alliki sucked the magic into himself, protecting the boys as they made it through the castle gates. The things howls of fury could be heard as they ran through the town.
They stopped, gasping as tears flowed over the loss of their friends. They looked around to see where they were at. They had conveniently stopped at a stable in town where normal horses were held. Going inside quickly Sion paid the shocked man and grabbed two of the horses. Fires still raged around town as they mounted up, settling their things into the saddle bags.
“Let's get away from here.....” Sion mumbled still in shock at today's events. Halluck just nodded as they galloped out of Resulu. Sion glanced back at his home. Smoke billowing in the wind as the sun finally set. It was a new moon tonight so it was pitch dark as he rode away from the only home he had known.

They had stopped in a clearing a good two hours from the city of Resulu. The sun had set long ago and with a new moon it was pitch black. Sion gathered firewood while Halluck got some food out for them. With a fire lite and food cooking they settled down and got the book out.

I am sorry for the way events have unfolded. I had not meant for them to discover you so soon. They must have been closer to finding me than I suspected.

"We want to know everything you can tell us about this group that you keep talking about. Please...." Sion begged sorrow still laced in his voice.

Halluck opened Alliki up to a page halfway through the book. At first the page was blank, but then vivid streaks of color shot across the page. They began to leap off the page building a world the boys had never seen.

Long ago in 9 HEK a spell was started by the royal class of the kingdoms of Lispace, Karworth, Resulu, Terwa, Nelter, and Vicals. A spell that would take a year to fully complete, but would have dire consequences. The spell once completed would grant eternal life to the casters and bathed the kingdoms in gold and gems. But the price was thousands of souls from the cities surrounding the kingdoms that cast the spell. In 10 HEK when the spell was finished, the royalty ruled that all magical items be burned and magic casters have their abilities sealed. At the last second, the witches and wizards who were the strongest were forced to lift the land of the kingdoms who cast the spell into the air away from the cities where the people souls had been stolen. The land was cast into a protective bubble, the people involuntary had their memories wiped and were left alone for years.

"Wait...I don't understand. Are you saying out parents cast this horrible spell?" Sion asked in disgust.

"No, my parents would never do something like this. They care too much about our people." Halluck said angrily.

Calm yourselves! They did not do this themselves. As a matter of fact they were controlled. There are a race of powerful creatures that worship a dark god. They are the called the Dark Cathifars and just a single bite from them allows them to control your mind. Their bite takes a year to fully develop into a mark that allows them access to their victims minds. My theory is they caught the royalties off guard and bite them. These creatures are not humans, they stand at an average of six foot even. They worship a dark three headed dragon god called Skivern. He demands sacrifices of his followers such as body parts which is why you'll never see the Cathifars without their robes. And no one knows what they look like. Now the Lezga are humans who have had their memories completely wiped and one purpose put into their minds, to find and destroy me. They are ranked in order of power and skill. There are seven of them and they are adept in destruction magic and tracking magic. Seven is the weakest while One is the most powerful. They do not have names and are incredibly dangerous to you both right now. But what I don't understand is why after all the souls were collected the Cathifars vanished.....till now.

Silence seemed to echo throughout the clearing as the boys digested this shocking news. They sat and gazed off into the darkness, feeling hopeless.

"What do we do? Where do we go? We aren't safe anywhere." Halluck whispered

There is a group of skilled wizards and witches who were somehow able to avoid the memory wipe. They call themselves the Harmor. And they are against everything the Cathifars have done. We must go to them. Last I had heard they were located in the swamplands of Terwa. On the way I will proceed to teach you the wonders of magic.

"Do you think my parents are gone because of the Cathifars?" Sion asked, holding his breath hoping the answer was no.

The Cathifars have collected all the royalty in the land of Fawno.

Halluck gasped, "No..."

I am not sure why they have done this after all this time, but if we want to find out we must locate the Harmor as quickly as possible. Again I am sorry.

Sion slowly went through his packs looking for the maps he had grabbed. He was determined not to think about his missing parents or worry about how they were doing.

Finally finding one, he spread it out in front of the fire. Grabbing rocks to hold it down, he stated,"So in order for us to get to Terwa, we have two options. One is that we can cut through the deserts of Lispace and cross the Lake Skai, which will put us in the middle of Terwa. But if we're being hunted it'll also allow our enemies to find us due to the passenger records on the ships. The second option is the best, but most dangerous. It involves going through the Irkran mountains in Vicals and hitting Terwa that way."

Halluck gazed in doubt at the distance they would have to cover to find the Harmor. Sighing he shook his head tiredly and began getting ready for bed.

Gentleman. It is important that we set up a barrier for the night. It is late and I know you are tired, so for now I will do it. But in the morning your training begins properly.

"Great more school. At least I'll like these lessons." Halluck grumbled as the lay in his sleeping bag. Sion rolled his out as well watching the book as it began to glow. Strange words could be heard in their minds and then a burst of light engulfed the clearing. When they blinked the dots from their vision they could see a barrier encircling their camp.

"Oh yeah we'll love these classes a lot." Sion said sleepily.

************************************************************************************************

The sun hit the horizon, violently lighting up the clearing in a burst of light. Groaning, Halluck rolled over and sat up. The events of the day before washed over him like ice water. Despair almost overwhelmed him, before he shook himself refusing to give in.

Good job boy. A strong mind is a must in the magic world.

He grunted and got up to relieve himself, ignoring the book for now. As he shuffled back, Sion sat up bleary eyed and looking exhausted.

"Didn't sleep well?" Halluck said as he started packing up his things.

"No. Let's go. We've slept to late and there's no telling how close behind us number Seven is." Sion grumbled testily as the grabbed his bag.

Halluck bristled at his rude tone, but opted to say nothing seeing as how they had been through so much already. They couldn't afford to be fighting among themselves. Instead he grabbed the book and mounted his black mare. Sion finished gathering his things and with map in hand mounted his brown stallion and spurring him onward.

While they rode, they studied the map till they finally decided to head roughly north, avoiding the major towns. Once they hit Lispace border they would get more supplies from a small town in order to survive the mountain crossing.

They started off, going further and further into the woods of Resulu. The trees stood many feet high. They harbored all kinds of critters in their branches.Fragrant flowers wafted their scents on the breeze. Leaves crunched under foot as the boys rode on. After they had put some distance between themselves and the camp site Alliki began to speak.

Our first lesson today will be on offensive magic. That way you knuckle heads can fight against the Lezga properly. Now any action, whether it is something small such as speaking or something big as in bodily movement, requires energy. Magic is the same, except you need special words to "spark" that energy and strength of will to control the energy output. But another important factor is also envisioning the action you are trying to get.

Sion I want you to see a ball of fire hovering in the palm of your hand. Then say the words, "Shalovi Nalvispa".

Sion looked unsure about the whole thing, believing and hoping for a second this was all fake. Then the remembered grimly how the Lezga had killed Speck and Tornew with just a word. Resigned to trying the move, Sion lifted his hand and concentrated. Halluck watched curiously, keeping watch around their vicinity was they rode.

"Shalovi Nalvispa." Sion said quietly feeling silly. Suddenly a bright ball of fire burst into existence in the palm of his hand. It started getting bigger and bigger expanding rapidly.

No! You must control the energy flow that each spell requires. Now concentrate and cut off the flow of energy.

Sion gasped, his energy draining fast. With an effort of will the snapped his mind away from the task.

As I've said, every task requires energy. You must learn how to balance the output of energy for each task . Halluck, now you try. Remember each action requires only a certain amount of energy. The key is finding out which action requires the most energy.

As the sun reached its highest point the sky, the boys finally stopped for lunch exhausted from training. They tiredly dismounted from their rides, throwing the reins down to prevent the horses from wandering. Picking a tree that offered the most protection from the sun's rays and shade, they sat on the dry crisp grass.

"We still have quite a ways to go, huh?" Halluck mumbled around a piece of bread and cheese.

Sion nodded his head tiredly, "Yeah a lot of miles between us and Terwa. To make it faster I was thinking we could buy a boat from one of the villages along the river and fast track it to Lispace. Do it discreetly so no one recognizes us. May have to alter our appearances a little. IS that possible Alliki?"

With magic anything you can think of is possible. It's all about the limitations of your energy levels and your will power.

Halluck snorted," You sound like a traveling salesmen."

Suddenly they could hear hooves galloping toward them in the thicket of trees. Staring at each other in shock they quickly tried mounting up before the mysterious horsemen caught up to them. It was too late. A group of four armored men bearing chains engraved on their chest plates circled them, their horses whinnying loudly.

"Slavers..." whispered Halluck in horror.

Slavery was frowned upon in the cities, but like any illegal activity, it flourished in the black markets. Often times the slavers captured lost children or wandering men and women. They were then taken into the big cities to secret locations to be sold to the fields, mountains, or as free labor at the Lord's and Ladies houses.

Without thinking Sion shouted, "Shalovi!" while pointing his palm at the rider closest to him. Before he could react Sion's magic fire struck him and engulfed him in flames, killing him instantly. The band of slavers attacked, angry about their fallen comrade. The boys, caught off guard, went on the defensive desperately trying to protect themselves and get in a hit. One of the slavers darted past Sions defense, swatting his horse harshly on the rump. Rearing up, the brown stallion neighed in fury, dumping the surprised boy on the ground before crashing away. He laid there dazed, pain radiating from his shoulder where he had landed. Halluck cried out as a slash from the enemy's sword cut him deeply on his arm. A blow to the head knocked him senseless.

Seeing Halluck looking around dazedly, Sion dragged himself up and ran past the horsemen getting ready to do the killing blow. Raising his sword in his good hand he parried the blow as he slapped the mare on her rump making her gallop away. Halluck hung on for dear life crying out Sions name.

One of the three slavers kicked Sion back down, making him cry out again as his bruised shoulder hit the hard ground. As the slavers got ready to pursue Halluck one spoke up, "Leave him. We have our dead comrade to bury and the man behind his death."

Sion shivered in fear. The was captured with nowhere to run.