Silver Wings | Teen Ink

Silver Wings

May 19, 2016
By MoonBaby SILVER, Idaho Falls, Idaho
More by this author
MoonBaby SILVER, Idaho Falls, Idaho
9 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.


Author's note:

The two main characters are Ti and Kadin, and Mercy is in there a bit too but it's usually from Ti and Kadin's point of view. Hope you like it!

The author's comments:

So I had the second chapter ready but then I accidentally hit delete instead of copy. I'm pretty irritated about it because I felt like it was really good.

Kadin
My sister and I are starting at a new school, again. Our father is a warrior in our community and just like the humans soldiers we move around a lot. We had only been at our last school for five months. We would have stayed longer but we heard rumors that the object we’re looking for is in Idaho. So here we are, surrounded by a thick blanket of snow. Alli, my twin sister, doesn’t mind moving around because she fits in everywhere and makes friends quickly. I grab my backpack and trudge into the kitchen.
Alli is sitting at the table already. Her chin length platinum blonde hair brushes against her cheeks as she eats. I pour myself a bowl of cereal and fill Dad’s mug with coffee. Sitting at the table next to Alli I set my father's mug in his usual spot. He shuffles in at that moment. He is only wearing a pair of basketball shorts clearly showing where I got my build from. He has blonde hair like Alli but emerald green eyes like me. He yawns and settles into his seat. He leans forward on the table causing his biceps to bulge as he wraps his hands around the coffee mug.
“Morning Daddy.” Alli chirps perkily. He grunts in response, neither of us are morning people.
“Mornin’ kids. Thanks for the coffee son.” His voice is deep and gravelly yet comforting at the same time. He takes a sip of his coffee and examines the both of us. I nod at him and take a big bite of cereal to avoid talking. Alli fills in the silence by chattering nonstop about how long it took her to pick an outfit for today. I glance over at her. She looks the same as always. Pink blouse, plaid pink skirt, white boots with pink fur along the top, and pink makeup. I then examine my own outfit. Dark jeans, black T shirt, and sturdy black boots. I suppose I could have dressed up a little more but we’ve moved so many times I don’t see the point anymore.
A headache sets in and I begin to wonder whether I should have grabbed some coffee for myself. Alli gets up and grabs my bowl, putting it in the dishwasher with hers. I mumble a thank you but don’t move as she flits out of the room. “You got your phone?” My father asks me. I pat my pocket in response. He yawns and nods at the same time and Alli trots back into the kitchen. She kisses dads forehead.
“Bye Daddy. See you after school.” Dad kisses her cheek and I rise to my feet. I grab my keys off the counter and follow Alli. I pat my dad on the shoulder
“Bye pops.” He laughs and waves as we walk out the door. The cold air makes my breath visible as I climb into my black 1977 ford pickup. I reach over and unlock the passenger door so Alli can climb in. Once she closes the door I pull out of the driveway and head toward school. We arrive at the same time as the buses and follow the crowd of kids into the building. Alli is practically skipping as we weave through the mass of people to the office. My hand finally closes around the doorknob and I walk into the quiet office. When the door closes behind my sister's tiny body I let out a sigh of relief.
I’ve never liked crowds. The secretary looks up as Alli leans against the counter. “We’re new here. We were told to come here to pick up our schedules.”
“Names.” The secretary asks.
“Alison and Kadin Quinton.” Alli replies happily. From the look the secretary gives her I know she agrees with my opinion that Alli is way too perky. She hands us our schedules and we leave to find our classes. On my way to my class my eyes are attracted to a flash of silver. It’s a short girl. Her hair is so blonde it looks silver. She’s wearing a baggy blue sweatshirt and holey blue jeans. She is clutching her backpack to her chest like a shield. She looks over her shoulder anxiously and I see that her eyes are a dark storm cloud gray. Her beauty makes me gasp. Despite the plain clothing there is no denying how extraordinary she is. I reach the door first and hold it open for her.
This seems to dramatically increase her anxiety. She looks desperately down the hallway as if she’s looking for someone. Not finding anything she hurries past me keeping her eyes on the floor. The girl takes a seat next to the one in the corner and places her backpack on the corner seat. Whoever she’s waiting for must usually sit there. I claim a seat a couple chairs over from her. A bell rings out and more kids pour in taking their seats. Looking down at my schedule I see that we go to two classes then lunch. Throughout class the girl with the silver hair looks between the empty seat next to her and the door.
I make it through my two classes and head towards the cafeteria. Alli spots me and waves me over. She has, of course, already made a friend. I sit next to her and glance over at our companion. He’s an average built kid with disheveled brown hair and honey colored eyes. He sticks his hand out, “I’m Callahan.” I look down at his hand.
“Kadin.” I reply ignoring his hand and turning to my lunch. He puts his hand down and I notice the silver haired girl sitting at a table in the corner. The table is next to the window and she stares outside her fingers drumming against the table.
“Don’t waste your time.” I turn to Callahan as he speaks. “That girl you’re looking at. Her name is Mercy Silverado. Most of us call her Silver though. Anyways she’s a lesbian so don’t waste your time chasing her.”
“I don’t like her.” I explain to him. “I had first hour with her and she seemed on edge. I’m just curious about why.” Callahan laughs.
“That’s easy to explain.” He takes a bite of sandwich and swallows before continuing. “Ti isn’t here. She’s always anxious when Ti’s not here. When she isn’t here to protect her Silver becomes a prime bullying target. Although almost no one would risk touching her.” The doors to the cafeteria open and a girl dressed in solid black walks in. She looks almost panicked until her eyes find Mercy. This girl is taller with pitch black hair pulled into a tight ponytail and an angry scar across her cheek. When Mercy sees her she runs over and wraps her arms around the other girl's waist. The taller girl hugs her back kissing the top of her head.
“That.” Callahan says. “Is Ti.” Ti has a definite air about her that screams stay away. I can see why nobody would want to get on her bad side. The two girls sit down but I notice Ti’s eyes never settle in one spot. They roam back and forth around the room, as if she was watching for danger. She looks over at our table and our eyes lock. Electricity shoots through me. Her eyes, a molten gold color, widen so I know she felt the same thing. “Don’t stare!” Callahan hisses urgently. I turn my attention back to him. He looks anxiously over at Ti and Mercy.
“Three things you need to know about Ti.” He says. “First Ti isn’t her real name. It’s short for something but even the teachers are too afraid of her to call her anything else. Second, She has a very very very bad temper and you don’t want to see it. Third and most important you don’t mess with Silver. Like not even just look at her the wrong way. If you do well, you wouldn’t be the first person going to the hospital because of Ti.” While he was talking my gaze traveled back to the two girls.
Ti notices me staring again and flips me off. I clamp my jaw shut and turn away. There’s something different about those two. Callahan seems genuinely afraid of Ti. Alli laughs and shakes her head at Callahan. “Why are you so afraid of her?” She turns and openly stares at Ti. “I mean sure she looks mean but I think you’re overreacting.” I hear loud footsteps coming towards us. Callahan cringes and scoots away. I look back up to see Ti with her arms crossed glaring at my sister and I.
“Did your parents forgot to tell you it’s not polite to stare?” She growls, her voice deadly quiet. Mercy is hiding behind her, clinging to the back of her shirt. In the back of my mind I notice that Mercy’s eyes have become a lighter shade of gray while Ti’s have turned into an angry wolf amber. My mind doesn’t seem to be working and Alli is too stunned to reply. Ti looks between us then to Callahan who shrinks away from her withering glare. “Right.” Ti snaps. “No manners at all.” She glares at Callahan one last time. “Teach your friends here the meaning of respect before they insult someone.” Her voice is full of undisguised venom. Callahan is ghost white and all he can do is gulp and nod.
Ti gives us one last disgusted look then wraps her arm around Mercy’s shoulders and leads her away. As they walk away I hear Mercy’s soft voice as she whispers to Ti, “Where were you this morning?” Ti stops and strokes Mercy’s cheek. Mercy leans into the touch. Stooping slightly Ti kisses the smaller girl sweetly. She breaks off the kiss but rests her forehead against the silver haired girls. A small smile pulls at the corner of her lips.
“Taking care of you as usual.” Ti replies and tucks a thick envelope into the other girls back pocket. Ti grabs both of their bags and once again tucks Mercy possessively under her arm as they walk away. I let out the breath I didn’t realize I was holding and look at Alli.
“I see why Ti’s so protective of her now.” I state. Callahan wrings his hands together and looks down at his lap.
“I told you not to stare.” He looks at the spot where the two girls disappeared as if he’s afraid they’re coming back. Alli changes the subject and chatters on with Callahan. I sit quietly and finish my lunch. Dad told us to look for someone with strange eye color. But Ti and Mercy both fit that description and there’s something off about both of them.

The author's comments:
I liked my original one better but oh well.

Ti
I stalk back to our table my wolf howling and fighting to be released but I reign her in. Right now the fact that The Hunters don’t know that my kind exists is the only thing keeping Mercy safe. I pull a chair out and sit down, pulling her into my lap. She doesn’t resist and leans back against me. I smack her thigh, “Eat baby.” She opens her mouth to protest and I narrow my eyes at her. “Babe eat, now.” I order. She snaps her mouth shut and digs through her backpack. She pulls out her lunch and shifts in my lap to get the envelope I gave her out of her back pocket. Mercy puts the lunch down and opens the envelope. A gasp escapes her beautiful pale pink lips when she sees the contents.
“Ti…” Her protest is interrupted when I lean forward and fit my lips against hers. She makes a small huff when I part her lips and slowly, torturously, steal her breath away. When I pull away she’s panting slightly. “Oh babe,” She sighs and curls into me. She looks in the envelope again, there’s about two thousand dollars in there. “This is too much.” She whispers and I stiffen. We are constantly having this argument and today is a bad day for it.
“Not this again,” I moan and let my head fall back. “We are not having this argument again. Take it.”
“Ti I can’t. And the self defense classes are too much, I’m safe babe.” My temper breaks.
I gently remove her from my lap and set her on her own chair. I turn the chair so she’s facing me and the legs screech against the ground as I pull her closer until our knees are touching. She sees now that I am angry and reaches out to touch me but I push her hands away. “Listen to me and listen to me very carefully Mercy,” Her eyes widen when I use her name. I only do that when I’m extremely serious about something. “We are not having this argument again. You take the money I give you and use it on what I tell you too. We are never safe. And you need to get your guard back up now.” She swallows hard.
“They found us.” She says quietly. I bite the inside of my cheek and nod. Her jaw tightens and she puts the money in her bag, no longer willing to fight with me. She’s in danger and she knows that I do what I do to protect her. “Okay, what do I need to do.” She whispers and grips my hands. I rub my hand down my face and glance around the cafeteria again. My eyes settle on the table Callahan and his new friends are sitting. I glare at the two new kids, they are the danger. In that moment I am very glad Mercy and I have all the same classes. A chill runs down my spine when I realize she has been alone with them all morning.
“Just promise me you won’t question me when I ask you to do something.” I whisper and kiss her forehead. “I’ll keep you safe, you know I will. I just need you to cooperate. Please.” She curls into my chest.
“Okay Ti,” She consents and I relax slightly. The bell rings. We stand up and I grab both of our backpacks and claim her hand. She holds tight as I push my way through the crowds to our class. When we get there I lead her inside. I would hold the door open for her but I know how anxious she gets when she walks into a classroom first or in front of someone else. It makes her feel like everyone is staring at her and being the center of attention terrifies her. I smirk, well accept with me. She sees me smirking and grins, “What?” We sit down and I give her a quick kiss.
“You’re cute is all.” She blushes red as a rose and smacks my arm.
“And you’re a flirt,” She chuckles. I give her a big, goofy grin and wrap my arm around her shoulders.
“Only for you Silverado.” I say in a dreamy voice. She rolls those beautiful gray eyes and cuddles into me. I hum happily at having her so close. My wolf is also content in her presence. That is until they walk in. All my muscles immediately stiffen. There are four Fae races living on earth. Hunters, Trackers, Fallen, and Guardians. Hunters are mainly human but also have demon blood in their system that gives them heightened senses and strength. Trackers control the Hunters. They are a combination of demon and wraith. They are the only ones who can’t blend in with the humans which is why they hired the Hunters to help. Their mission is to find and kill Fallen. Fallen are angels that are stuck on earth because heaven was destroyed. Their is one that can fix heaven so all the angels can return. This angel is none as The Fallen, it is at the top of the hit list. If The Fallen is killed the war is over.
Guardians were created by Fallen to protect them. Every Fallen has one Guardian. Mercy is Fallen, I am her Guardian, and these two new kids are Hunters. If they are in town then Mercy is endanger. We only have two advantages, One they haven’t identified her yet. Two, no one knows about Guardians. Most of the Fallen don’t even know that we exist even though they are constantly in the presence of one. A very small percentage become mates. We are part of that small percentage. I’m pulled back to the present by the teacher introducing the new kids.
“Alright class we have two new students, Allison and Kadin Quinton.” The girl, Allison, flashes a grin and waves. Kadin just nods his head. Oh no, the only empty seats are at our table. I fight to hold my wolf back, danger she’s screaming at me. “Looks like you two will be joining Ti and Mercy.” Mercy’s nails dig into my arm in an attempt to distract me. The whole class gives the twins sympathetic looks as they take their seats across from us. Before I can react Allison reaches across the table and pats Mercy’s arm. Mercy yelps and pulls back, in the same movement my hand whips out. I grab Allison’s wrist, pull her hand off Mercy, and shove.
Her hand smacks into her chest and I spit at her, “Don’t f*ing touch her!”
“Yatimah!” The teacher scolds me then instantly pales along with the rest of the class. My whole body freezes up. Yatimah, the name swirls around and echoes in my head. No, no, no. I faintly hear Mercy calling my name.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 5 comments.


imagonner said...
on May. 23 2016 at 4:50 pm
imagonner, Loveland, Colorado
0 articles 0 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
' its not about winning fist place in the race, its about finishing the race.' don't forget who you are to me.

I cant imagine I've delated like a paragraph and been furious. cant imagine dude, seriously cant imagine... sososososo sorry, when and if you redo chapter two and post it let me know!!! also I have added some chapters to The Hope That Ran if you want to check it out.....

on May. 23 2016 at 2:39 pm
MoonBaby SILVER, Idaho Falls, Idaho
9 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Thank you.

on May. 23 2016 at 2:39 pm
MoonBaby SILVER, Idaho Falls, Idaho
9 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I was sooo mad you have no idea. I was starting on the third chapter and I was completely in love with the way I had chapter 2. So irritated.

imagonner said...
on May. 22 2016 at 9:30 pm
imagonner, Loveland, Colorado
0 articles 0 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
' its not about winning fist place in the race, its about finishing the race.' don't forget who you are to me.

and so sorry about the second chapter..... that got delated... I know that stinks... : [

imagonner said...
on May. 22 2016 at 9:29 pm
imagonner, Loveland, Colorado
0 articles 0 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
' its not about winning fist place in the race, its about finishing the race.' don't forget who you are to me.

@MoonBaby the summary was really well descriptive and is something I would pick up in a store and buy. congrads on the talent the lord has given you, God bless.