Even the Rain is Quiet Now | Teen Ink

Even the Rain is Quiet Now

By HungaryM.Watson, Lafayette, Colorado
HungaryM.Watson, Lafayette, Colorado

Author's note:

So, we sort of went through a genocide unit, in two classes. And well hear ya go, this is the result that i ended up with.

this is from the point of view of Bảo as he meets the frail little radicalist for the first time.

2158, December 4th, Location: Shuttle on course for the planet Askaerus

“How in the hell did I get labeled a Defective! I’m a respectable man born of pure Legitimacy, Species and Perfect health so what gives!” The man shouts at a soldier who stands stiller than those Palace Guard’s you hear about in history and fairytales.

“Come on now, there's no need to start shouting we’re all upset about this but there’s nothing that can be done about it. If there was a mistake it’ll be sorted out when we get there” I voice so calm it’s half way unsettling catches my attention and I look to find it.
It’s a young man about my age maybe younger than me. His pale almost white skin’s only saving grace is the thousands of light grey freckles that keep the lights from turning him fluorescent. His hair on the other hand has no hope, it’s just long enough to fall over the tops of his ears a shining white like the refined Apophyllite Points found in the caves that litter Junus my home planet.  Between his smallish stature and thin frail looking build you’d think even the smallest tap on his shoulder would shatter him.
“What did you just say to me?” The man turns his full beam of rage towards the frail fool and I find myself getting to my feet.
“I said that there's no need to shout, we’re all upset and if there’s a mistake it’ll be sorted out later.” His voice remains calm, with a small twitch of his head he attempts to flick his wispy bangs out of his soft pink eyes. “Expressing your anger will just scare at least some of us even more than we already are.”
“Filth like you has no right to speak to me let alone tell me what to do.” the Man’s fists curl tight ready to strike.
“That’s a little rude don’t you think..and it’s not only race, legitimacy, and health that land people as a defective.” He shifts on his feet and places a hand on his hip. “There are many factors, but that’s not the point. Look around there are more people in here other than you, you need to calm down.” Somehow his tone continues remains calmer than the night.
Idiot you’re just pissing him off more. I want nothing more than to stop this where it is.
“Do you even know where they’re taking us! No way in hell I’m getting put in that place! It’s hell.”
“I ask again. Please lower your voice.” His tone moves a tad stricter.
Like lightning the older man lands a hard punch to the frailer man's face knocking him over into a couple of people who quickly shove him off them. The older one starts to advance towards him and I take a hold of his arm with a vice like grip. “Stop this.” I look him right in the eyes with the stare that is the reason my hometown always tip toed around me.
The man's eyes harden as he looks back into mine. After a couple seconds he rips his arm from my grip and goes Back to the group of people he’d been rounded onto the shuttle with. Once he’s seated I go over to the frail one who's managed to get into a sitting position. He covers his already purpleing face with a thin fingered hand. Bright candy red blood slipping between his fingers as he tries to contain it.

From the point of view of jing as he meets the young miner.

I look up to the young man now standing before me. He’s dressed as we all are, stripped down to just our undergarments. His caramel tan skin covered in scars but nothing too apparently serious. I look into eyes they’re a cold mysterious black.
“Stupid question but are you okay stranger?” The words that slip from his lips are deep and warming with a bit of a rasp.
I nod my a bit and he runs his hand through his hair. It’s just long enough to pull into a small ponytail his bangs arched and stopping just above his eyebrows. I find the color to be fascinating, it’s reminds me of the red Fire Agate stones that the people in my village wore to give them the courage and protection they needed to get through the day.
“Well, come on you gonna let me help you up or not?”
I snap out of my daze and find his large yet slender hand held out in front of me. Quickly I take it and with a swift but gentle movement he raises me to my feet. My feet stumble a bit as my head rushes with blood. Grabbing my shoulder with a firm grip to steady me he then leads me over to where I assume he had been before the ordeal and sits me down.
With short gazes I glance at the people in this area of this ship as the man sits next to me, still no one I know. Shifting my vision I look to the young man, he’s most likely a couple years older than me. He may be good at hiding it, but in those soft black eyes I see that he’s more confused than most of us as to why he’s here. And even hidden further under his confusion, he’s terrified.
His eyes slowly drift to meet mine now really confused, his eyebrows pulling together. “Yes? May I ask why you look like you’re analyzing me?”
“S-sorry I didn’t mean to stare.” I look down and start rubbing the pads of my feet with my free hand.
“Your nose still bleeding or has it come to a stop?” His voice has calmed considerably from earlier.
Carefully I pull my hand away from my face and look at it a little horrified, you’d think I’d be used to the sight of blood, but in actuality it still freaks me out. I feel a steady stream drip down on to my lip and return my hand to where it was. “Pretty sure it’s still going.”
“Do you think he broke it?”
The concern takes me off guard and I look to him again. His eyes reflect his voice almost to a tee. Calm yet concerned, and for a stranger no less. I softly shake my head. “No, trust me the bleeding would be worse if he had, my blood just takes longer than most people to clot up.”
“Ah..well hopefully it’ll stop soon.” He gestures towards the guard who stands like stone at the door. “I don’t want to know what they’ll do if you pass out.”
“Probably assume I’m dead and throw me into space.” I laugh a bit to myself the thought of suffocating like that sending terror through me.
His eyes fix on me and I glance at him. The horror from my terrible joke filling his irises. “Eheh, sorry. As my family says, my humor is s*** and terribly timed.” I smile a bit trying to shake off my own fear.
“Better than no humor all I guess.” He coughs a bit as his voice cracks mid sentence.
“True, I suppose..” I look to the floor again.
A few seconds pass the only thing keeping the room from silence is the coughing and crying of surrounding passengers. I Finally look up when his large gentle hand held out in front of me. “My name is Bảo Agate, what about you?”
I look to him and gently take his hand with my unoccupied one. “Jing Point, I wish we could have met under better circumstances.”
“As do I, either way we’re stuck in the same mess. Let’s try and stick together, I have a feeling you’re one of those whom people love to punch.”
“Eheh, the accuracy of your hypothesis is spot on. I’m not very liked.” I give him a joking smile even though it saddens me to speak such a truth.
Quietly the sound of tapping begins to fill the shuttle and I look to one of the reinforced windows leading to the unending darkness outside
“What’s going on?” Bảo looks around trying to figure out what’s happening.
I look to the ground a small smile slipping onto my lips. “Don’t worry, it's just a small meteor shower. They're common in this part of the solar system we should be fine."
He gives a small nod in understanding.
I find it funny how the rain always calms me down even when it's like this.

For the next couple of hours the two chatted a bit trying to ease the crushing wave of suffering that they would be walking into and ultimately perishing in.

The entries from when they get the journals through January.

Bảo Agate,
December 25th, Defective Camp 223, Askaerus, Log 1
It’s Cristmas time on some planets expecially on this hell hole. Turns out the planet Askaerus is a snowy blizard wasteland 24/7 365 days of the year. We’ve been here for 2 maybe 3 weeks hell  don’t know the days are starting to blurr togeather allready. I hav no idea how the little idiot did it but somehow he got his hands on a cuple of blank boks, I can’t remember what he called them.
He has odd idea that writing in these things will help something or other. He uses so many words its crazy.

Jing Point
  December 29th, Defective Camp 223, Askaerus, Log 4
Well today was fun, managed to get stuck in the middle of another fight. My ribcage is killing me. On a happier note it appears that Bảo has finally gotten into the habit of writing. I’m glad I was able to get a hold of these it’s helpful for keeping track of events, I’m hoping one day well get out of here. Someone’s bound to realize how messed up this is. And when that happens I’m going to make sure that these events are never forgotten so that hopefully it’ll never happen again. 
Luckily, we’ve been able to stay out of the line of fire and haven’t been put through the worst. But it’s only a matter of time. I’ve seen what the other prisoners have been put through. This planet is one of the few carriers of the strongest safest building mineral alive, and because of that there’s plenty of work to keep us useful.
From what I’ve learned so far, Trudgers are the people up in charge of dragging the massive chunks through the snow to the furnaces.
The chunks are then passed off too the Soots who carry and throw it into the fires which are kept at such high temperatures most start to go blind.
Finally, the Molders they work and fold the scalding metal into the required shapes.
And that's only the jobs you can be assigned. They do horrific things to those who step out of line. It makes me shudder just to think about it. 

Bảo Agate,
January 6th, Defective Camp 223, Askaerus, Log 11
I swer to god this kid is pain magnit I dont no how or why I meen its not like hes doing anything to ern it they just keep draging him into fights. I had to get him out of a dog pile and back to the sleeping corters befor they killd him. It tok a bit to get him to stop saying sory so that i cold just bandag him up. Hes ben hiding behind me all day after that.

Updat, turns out he wasnt asleep and now he nos I cant write for s***

Jing Point
  January 28th, Defective Camp 223, Askaerus, Log 33
Well..today we found out what happens when you step out of bounds. Couple of guys started a fight with Bảo, the guards finally showed up while I was trying to pull him out. When I tried to explain what happened they knocked me out. I awoke with my hands and feet bound, staring at Bảo as we lay freezing in the snow. They beat him worse than they beat me. We were out there for hours, the only reason we’re not dead is because of the snow bank they threw us in. We were able to move our bodies and dig further into the bank to keep out of the freezing air, and by keeping close we were able to feed off of each other's body heat. When they finally came and got us, it was clear they figured we’d be dead. From what I can tell by the little I was able to figure out before being locked in the sleeping quarters, the two that started it all had no punishment.

Bảo Agate,
January 29th, Defective Camp 223, Askaerus, Log 34
As a clear result of yesterday we’ve been moved from cleaning the camp. To working the furnaces. I’ve been assigned to the role of trudging, Jing’s been assigned as a Soot. I’m worried, being thrown in the snow did a number on him, and after spending the day working as a Soot he looks half dead. I tried to get him to rest but he insisted on doing our nightly rituals. Ever since he found out I couldn’t write or read very well and had little to no education whatsever whatsover whatsoever, he’s been teaching me. Every night when we get locked into the sleeping quarters, he’ll spend about two hours helping me learn before we write our entries. It’s amazing how much he truly knows about what’s going on. I’m just hoping he can hold through this, his body isn’t able to handle this much.

Jing Point
  February 13th, Defective Camp 223, Askaerus, Log 49
Been working as a Soot for 15 days now and I officially can’t feel half my body. Okay that's a lie the problem is that I can feel it, I almost got shoved into the furnace and now the left side of my body is a tad singed with some rather painful blisters. Bảo flipped when he found out, I’m pretty sure he would have killed the first guard that barked an order hand I not calmed him down. He’s been a lot more protective lately...and a lot more curious as well. It’s clear he knows I know more than I’m letting on. I don’t want to know what he’ll do if he finds out. Thankfully I’ve finally been able to find a couple other people who also know more about what's going on. We’ve got the start of a plan, and I think it just might work.
Hopefully he can keep a cool head tomorrow, they’ve started whipping him when he shows the slightest signs of resistance.

Bảo Agate,
February 25th, Defective Camp 223, Askaerus, Log 61
He’s planning something I can almost hear the wheels turning in his head, he’s been conversing with a couple other Shooters and even a couple of Melders. I keep trying to ask him what’s up but he’s so vague about it that I don’t know weather to worry or press harder..wait is that the same thing? Oh hell nevermind.

Jing Point
  April 23rd, Defective Camp 223, Askaerus, Log 119
Good news! The plans are finally starting to make head way, We’ve got more people on board with it. Semi good news Bảo hear rumor from another Trudger so I ended up filling him in, and he’s on board even though he thinks I’m nutz for coming up with this. Not so good news, someone figured out who I am. So consequently I just almost got the life beaten out of me, which made Bảo freak out. So in a pain delirious state, I ended up telling him pretty much everything. I don’t if he hates me or is just trying to comprehend everything..

Bảo Agate,
Everything finally makes sense.

the tail of how it started, and how it ended

It all began about eleven years ago. When the planet Smohanerth was brought into the light about the civilizations surrounding it. Slowly the Crystlans, indigenous people of Smohanerth began exploring their sister planets. As the time passed, the Leader of the main city Heinrich Van Der Woodsen Point
began observing the other humanoid species around him. They were similar, yet different and some of the civilizations around them were so out of left field that he found it repulsive. It was fairly clear to him, that the Crystlans were far superior than the others.
More time passed and he began to spread ideas, that the other races where defective. Their diseased took up space and wasted money, their delinquents caused unrest and chaos, and any outside the norm where rebels trying to spread toxic thought.
Only within the last five years had things really taken a turn for the worst. Heinrich began ordering his military to carry out night raids in small towns and ghettos purging the galaxy of it’s filth. Camps were established on barren planets where few lived, and naturally they made sure there was plenty of work to do.
The whole Crystlan race was in the palm of Heinrich’s hand brainwashed to believe the poison being poured into their ears. Now and then people would try and protest, but it was to late, and more often than not those protesters were silenced in excruciating ways.
Only one continued to try and stop the nonsense, to keep protesters from giving up. And beyond everyone's belief it was the man's own son Jing Marquis Point.

Jing Point
  July 15th , Defective Camp 223, Askaerus, Log 202
This is it, everything is finally in place. It took forever but all our ducks are in a row and set to take revenge on these sadistic hunters. At dawn when they unlock the sleeping quarters, the riot begins. And we will not stop till someone here our S.O.S.

On the dawn of July 16th, the mass planned prison riot began. For three days at the loss of many lives this slaughter played out. Broadcasts and S.O.S.’s were sent out on every channel they could reach or hack into once the communication room was conquered. Finally as the prisoner forces were being backed into a corner, military aid from the nearby planet Rascilia came to the rescue.
On July 20th, year 2159 Camp 223 of the planet Askaerus was shut down. Over the proceeding 5 months, The military of the planet Rascilia and its allies from the planets Doynides and Suywei worked together to shut down the remaining 222 defective camps. Returning the surviving prisoners and the remains of those lost, home to their families.

the end

Bảo Agate,
February 2nd 2161,City of Cathitol on the planet Noveria, Log 1

Well..here I am, after what happened. I didn't think I'd ever write like this again. But..on the other hand it just wouldn't be right if I didnt. I don't remember much of that day. The final day of the riot, the day the military stepped in. Thinking about it only gives me a headache and sleepless nights filled with flashing images of blood. The people that got us out of there said I must've been knocked out while protecting Jing...either way it was futile...he's still gone.
A bullet through his ribs, from what little I pieced together of the flashbacks, he died in my arms.
And now here I am don't know how I managed it but I was finally able to pull together enough money to get me to the city of Cathitol. Jing spoke Highly of this place, said he'd like to live here because of the rain. That rain is calming to him because of how rhythmic it can be. I wish I could understand what he meant. Cause nowadays without listening to the fellow inmates arguing or Jing excitedly rambling about something, I find that even the rain is quiet..

I gently shut the tattered journal placing my pen on top of it. Thinking over what just flowed out of me like a hamster on a wheel. It's been two years, so why did I suddenly decide to pick up a pen now?
With a deep sigh I lift myself up off the chair and head for the door slipping my jacket on as I step out. A quick click of the automated lock sounds behind me as I head down the steps of the massive complex.
What do you mean you’re leaving you need to continue to work in the mines!
Come on it's been a year get back to work, you’re alive aren’t you?
The words from my family start milling around in my head as I shuffle through the pooling streets. It didn’t matter how much I had tried to explain to them, they’ll never understand what happened or the pain that their whispered words ended up causing. I finally found out that the reason I’d been labeled a “Defective”, was because of my violent appearance, shut in attitude and personal preference in who I chose to love.
I shake my head a little trying to push away the thoughts running through me, water flying from my head in so many small drops that for a split second it looks like a blizzard. Rather quickly the small reminder is washed away by the large drops falling past me. Looking to the sky I stop, gazing at the tall organic like shapes of the buildings that make up the city. Even during the day it’s quiet, but no matter what it’s never not beautiful. The colorful lights almost dance in the tear like shower.
A bump on my shoulder that almost knocks me over rips me out of my trance. I look to see what just happened as a firm hand grips my arm and sets me back on my feet. “Sorry man didn’t see ya there.”
The man smiling apologetically at me as I register what he just said let’s go of my arm. He’s decked out in all orange and panting, I assume that he’s out for a nightly run or something.
“It’s fine” I manage to pull a small smile onto my face but it's not a very good one.
“Ya know, if you’re gonna walk around at night like this you should get some brighter colors. If ya don’t some drunkard might hit ya with a car.” He downs his smile into a grin.
“Thanks..I’ll keep that in mind.”
“No problem, well have a good rest of your evening.” he waves and begins to jog off again.
That was...weird. I watch him quickly disappear in the dark then look back ahead of me. Anyways..
Continuing on my walk, I making sure that I don’t zone out or get run over. Slowly the silence begins to turn suffocating causing me to turn on my heels and head home.
As I approach the apartment complex something catches my ear, a bright giggling coming from behind me. I turn to look just as something bumps into my legs. My head drops down leading my eyes to find a small boy, his head about at my waist. Even as dark as it is I can see him quite clearly. Dressed in soaked oversized jeans and a t-shirt his pale almost white overly freckled skin covered in goose bumps. He looks up at me with a wide toothy grin, “Sorry mister.” he moves his drenched shinny white hair out of his soft pink eyes.
I go to speak and find myself unable to. I must be losing my mind it can’t be him this is a child! “W..what’re you d-doing out here so late?” is all I manage trying to comprehend what’s happening.
The kids smile grows wider, “Same reason as you of course, clear my head. The rains always good at that."
A small breath escapes me as I try to find more words to say.
With another giggle the kid darts around me and starts heading down the street. "Come on, let's go play!"
"Ah, hey wait up!" I whip around on my heels and chase after him. "Be careful!"
Admittedly a grown man chasing after a child in the dark probably doesn't look good, but it's better than letting the kid run around alone. Who knows what could happen if I were to do that.
Finally I start catching up to the giggling boy as he heads towards a crosswalk that leads to the park forest.
"Slow down!" My attempts are futile he can't hear me over his own giggles that continue to ring in my ears.
Thankfully he stops and looks up and down the street quickly before starting to dart across. Something catches my eye.
Impossible! How did he not see it! A large truck is barreling down the hill toward the unsuspecting child. "LOOK OUT!"
The kid stops dead in his tracks and looks at me as I bolt over and grab him turning as the grill makes contact with my back. Nothing is felt as I'm sent flying across the intersection.
Muffled words fill my ears as I find myself unable to move.
"What happened?"
"Is that guy okay!"
"I don't know he just jumped in front of my truck! He looked like he was shielding something!"
"Someone call an ambulance!"
A can feel something moving me but all words become drowned out by the large splats on the pavement. Over and over like the rhythmic strikes your can hear echo throughout the mines back home, as axe meets crystal. The strikes fall in sync with the pounding on my body. With great force the sound of the rain fills my head and starts washing everything else away.
I finally see what he means, when he said that the rain is calming.
"You'll be okay. There's no need to worry." I can feel a soft hand running over my head, and familiar voice that the rain seems to void for.
Slowly I let my eyes fall close as my body relaxes. Everything fading off into a crystal white.