The Hope That Ran

Author's note:

i have a dream. so does hannah

Author's note:

i have a dream. so does hannah

« Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 Next »

chapter 1

Chapter 1
         I did not care that the sharp pieces of pavement cut into my bare feet. I didn’t care that my nicely done hair was ruined.  My breath was sharp and bitter, raspy. The rain mixed with my tears burnt my eyes, blinding me. The rain hit me like a train, it was so cold. The coldness bit into my skin, sending chills to my heart. Our rain was never so cold, but what I saw made it so much colder. My older brother's body

i know my first chapter by heart. i hope you fall in love with it.

laid ten yards from our front door, near the road that followed into our town. Our large oak's leaves blew in the wind, mocking my screams. I ran as fast as I could to him, running, my lungs screamed for life, begged for me to stop. I stopped in front of him and cried, I cried hard. My tears rained on his body. The guards of our city were picking up his limp body. His body was white, and lifeless. I fell onto him, his skin was frozen, he hated being cold. He always would dress way to warm. The guards told me to get off him, I didn’t listen they became more harsh. The pushed and pushed on me, I wouldn't let them take me off him, my grip was firm. There was no way that I would leave him behind. The last thing I remembered was them shoving me off him; I hit my head, on a low, sharp-edged rock when they pushed me back. The rock was black, yet that didn't matter. My vision was black, yet that didn't matter. And for my heart was black, that didn't matter either. I laid in the cold, for what seemed like forever, forever is a long time. Nothing good can last forever neither can anything evil. Some things in life we need to give up, I wasn't ready to give my brother up.

My name is Hannah Speck I’m fifteen-years-old, I have long black hair and green eyes.  I'm stubborn and mean. I hardly ever listen to authority. Its on the inside of me, pulsating ready to explode, I’m on my own train.  You don't want to mess with me or my family; family should be everything, to everyone. My dad disappeared five years ago; nobody found his body or his belongings. It was like he fell out of mid air. My dad looked nothing like me or my brother; he had red hair, a squared face, and brown eyes. He was a wise man, with many jokes to tell. My mom’s name is Sarah she married my dad, Stanley, when she was twenty years old. My mom and I could be twins; she has short black hair and her bright green eyes that are just like mine. Although after my dad disappeared, her eyes seemed to turn gray. My mom has a heart of an angle, she is willing. She would do anything for her kids. Me and my mom love spending time with each other. She is my rock, she is my hope.   Two years after she got married she had my brother William. William is brave, he is funny, and he is my hope. He was a healthy baby, and a happy baby.

Three years after they had William my mom and dad had me. I have a lot of childhood memories. They were happy ones. The type you don't forget. Times when your dad pushes you on a swing, or when you bake with your mom, and so much more. Ten years after I was born my dad left. Not like my parents wanted a divorce, my parents loved each other. He went missing, the guards of the city looked for years, and my heart will look for decades. Life without a dad is dreadful. My father missed so much in life.  My father was humorous, he was sweet, and he was my hope. William and I grew closer through our dad going missing and the ache it brought.  We walked to school alone. We ate dinner alone. We laugh and cried alone. As for my mom she zoned out. Like she wasn't real she was like a ghost. A ghost that wasn't capable of taking care of her kids, let alone herself. She spent her days in her room, moaning. She took many pills, but I knew she still cared about me. She still loved me.  William took on the “Mom” role for me. He walked me to school, made me meals, and taught me beautiful life skills. Our city was built for those who survived the war that broke out around one hundred years ago.  The war separated the world, into four sections; I live in one of the four.  Most people state, were we are in the world is somewhere called Chicago. I believe it, but some think it is a rumor. Gates block the city limits, nobody has ever bothered to try to leave, and we felt save where we are. We aren't in contact with any of the three other sections; there is no documented truth of life outside of were we live. Our city is beautiful. It has many large houses, and buildings. All the houses are nearly the same, inside out. The walls are all base on the inside of the house, and on the outside they are all gray. Brick detailing covers the outside creating a beautiful floral pattern.

Even the rooms are the same; each room has the same furniture and the same style. All my friend’s rooms are the same as mine. We aren't aloud to add extra things to our rooms. No personality. The roads we walk on dirt, and dust. Large oaks grow in the pastures of our yards. The giant green leaves give our yards amazing shade. It is usually always hot, and sticky. Almost everyday I feel super hot. It's like a wave of heat that covers you all day. Every so often it rains. But that one day I hated the rain. My name is Hannah Speck, I am a person. People make mistakes, but don't hate. Love. Cherish people in life, your not promised tomorrow. Here is my story of pain, loss, and laughter. You can always start a fire, from one spark the world gives. The fire of kindness to burn the hate. So here it goes the beginning of the end.
Now I am here, lying in a bed with an aching, pounding, head. My head was beating, like a song; I felt the blood flow through my veins. I slowly looked across the room, spotting my mother instantly by the window looking down below. The window was large, from the bed I could spot figures of the people below. It took me moments to realize that I was in a hospital.  When I finally had the voice, and strength to say “Mom,” It came out like a cry for help. I couldn't recognize my own voice. My mom instantly snapped her head towards me, she smiled. I could tell she had been crying. Walking quickly, towards my bed she spoke, “You finally woke; I thought I lost you too.” Too? Wait what? At first I thought she meant losing my dad. I was wrong. And then, I knew. Before I could even form the thoughts in my head I felt steaming hot tears slide down my face. Choking I spoke, “William”. My mom slowly nodded her head as tears slowly trickled down her cheeks. The tears fell in pots and the pots shattered into a billion pieces.

The walls were too white and blank for me to look at. No matter how many blankets my mom gave me, I was still cold. Nothing got William off my mind. The pain in my heart was worse than the pain in my head. Or in the pain of my ribs, due to the small rocks that split my skin in the fall. I played the memory of him in my head. The two gunshots, I heard them, from my bedroom window. They rang through my ears. I tasted metal. When I looked out my window, I nearly fainted. The tears came fast, knowing he was hurt. An ambulance was coming down the street fast. I tried to race it, like the sadness chased me. As I ran my mom followed. I already had the thoughts of how we were going to have a funeral for him. We had a funeral for my dad, after five years of looking, my mom gave up hope. I never would. I could not do it again, dress in black, cry, or watch the coffin in the dirt. I hadn’t been thinking in the moment that it happened. William must have been murdered, who would murder him? 

The thought of death trampled me. Almost everyone in my city loved William. William used to tell me, “it’s not about winning first place in the race, but it’s about finishing the race.” spoke that to me when I was down, hurt. My mom continued to look around the room pacing the floor, she was axis. I knew. Her hair seemed to have a silver lining, she was getting old. I wouldn’t notice things like that in a regular day. I regret that, no matter the weird details I should always have looked at things different. William, such a compassionate person. He forgave people for the impossible. I was jealous of the way people loved him, yet I loved him more than they did. William was my mom’s favorite he always was. 

The nurse suddenly walked in, stopping my train of thought. Maybe it was good she was walking in, I felt one of the many stones weighing me down was lifted. I wondered if she had good news to tell me and my mom. My mom also noticed she walked in and sat up, from slouching in the chair against the window. The chair looked and was comfortable; in fact, we had the same exact one at home. No personality. I began starring at the nurse, she had blonde hair, and she looked around fifty or maybe a bit younger. She was also very large. She had wide hips that slimmed down into short legs, not to mention she was over weight. Her face was plump; she carried her nose high in the air, almost with pride. Right away I didn’t like her, I didn’t know why. The nurse walked straight up to my mom, she seemed upset. I heard the echoes of her shoes on the hospital floor, like a beat of a drum. “Mrs. Speck there is a brain bleed in Hannah’s head, if not fixed she would die after a few months.”                      

Chapters:   1 2 3 Next »

This book has 15 comments. Post your own now!

Chrissiana1320 said...
This is good!

imagonner said...
May 20, 2016 at 10:20 am
@sabbylynn thank you so much, for your kindness. I am continuing to write this, on my flash drive. I am reposting another The Hope That Ran, where I added somethings in it and a couple more chapters.

sabbylynnThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
i also love the title " the hope that ran" sounds like something that can really change something in someone's life and make a difference. i like things that actually mean something good job.

wow this book is amazing you were absolutely right it is draw dropping i love this so much thank you for mentioning this i am grateful and like you said you will comment on our articles i am holding you up to this @imagonner. i admire your courage to write a book even if it isnt finished and i loved the plot. you should keep writing you are very good.

Brelaw67 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Imagoner, I like the plot, and I think that you could have lots of potential with this story, but that being said, and I had thus problem too, your sentences are too choppy to get some good description and character into the story. Just work on having a variety of sentences, and the description will come with it. And I know it's going to be hard to arrange your sentences accordingly, but with some good effort, this could turn out very nicely. Overall, good job, just keep up with your perfecting.

imagonner replied...
I do appreciate your honesty. thank you for checking this story out. I have another, better version were I made some changes. I posted this a while back.... while I have been writing more chapters and went through to make it better. it is currently still pending, so yes I definitely see what you are saying. know it is being fixed. thank you for your tips on how to make myself a better writer. @Brelaw67

imagonner replied...
could you give me examples of "choppy sentences?" that don't give description

imagonner replied...
I also made a point to have short sentences to leave my reader guessing. that's just how I write, I guess

imagonner said...
@MoonBaby thx so much, this means a ton!!!! I really truly appreciate this. and yes I am adding more and more.... I will come check out your work, thanks again.

MoonBaby said...
I hope you continue this. The very first paragraph literally gave me chills. I am intrigued.

imagonner replied...
also I have a more updated, meaning I added some things in, pending. hopefully it will be ready soon.

imagonner said...
May 19, 2016 at 11:07 am
come on guys!! 30 people have seen this.... not one comment. if you are reading this, pls pls just read and comment...

imagonner said...
I know that this seems long and boring...... but pls just read.

imagonner said...
hey I have a more up to date version on this book, with more detailed parts, let me know if you want to read it, I will post it!!!

imagonner said...
pls read my book!! if you comment I will go ahead and check out your stories!!