The cripple of the Crypt | Teen Ink

The cripple of the Crypt

By KeaganKoalaKid, Wentzville, Missouri
KeaganKoalaKid, Wentzville, Missouri

You can catch a lot of flies with honey, but you can catch more honeys by being fly.

Author's note:

I wrote this because my friend broke her leg and It gave me inspiration for a short story.

This was the whole story sorry thats all I wrote.

The City of Perseverance, that was where Dudley had been born and had grown his whole life. Though he does not know what part of the city he came from. Dudley is a thin and sickly pale young man he has bright red hair and can always be seen running from one of his inventions to the next. Run is the wrong word though for Dudley had been born without any feeling in his legs, he has made it very far in life still by using a device of his own invention. IT was a sort of wheel chair with a round orb on the bottom that went whichever way he directed it to go with his mind. His mind often wandered from thought to thought as he let his hands work their magic. Again that was probably a poor choice of words for though this city was indeed magical and many people had the ability to perform or work with magic Dudley did not. Dudley was only good at making things with his hands. As he made things he often thought.
His project on this day had taken him higher up in the industrial district than he was used to. He had been ordered by the headmaster of the orphanage to help the men repair the boiler that had cracked and subsequently halted all power in the lower parts of the city. The Boiler was of Dudley's design so he knew exactly how to fix it and did so in about a minute flat however since the headmaster had forbidden him from telling people the extent of his knowledge he just humbled himself into saying that the Headmaster told him what to do and he did it.
That evening he returned to the farthest outreaches of the Slums, the lowest part of the city, were all the poor, and working class live in the city. It is known to be the worst place possible and dangerous Dudley and his friends jokingly call it the Crypt. The reason for that would be they all believe they will die there because those who are born in a lower place almost never make it anywhere higher in the city. The other boys in the orphanage again joked about how they could all die that night than with a sudden wave the power went out for all in the city and they went to sleep.
Not Dudley though, He stayed up late into the night looking out from his place in the wall of the orphanage thinking about his life. He knew he had not been born in the Crypt yet he couldn't remember where he came from, and when he checked all the hospital records none showed that he existed. What he could remember was growing up in the orphanage and as he never had a father to teach him a trade he became a servant to the headmaster. Dudley always thought he would die a slave until the day that Desmond entered his life.
Desmond had been a master smith and had lived in the Noble district, or where everyone else who wasn't from the Crypt lived, Desmond had been visiting the slums and one of the boys from the orphanage had begged him to come fix the heater so that they might not freeze at night. Desmond Agreed to help the orphanage for free. When he was fixing the heater the Headmaster had designated Dudley to help the man in any way possible. Desmond took a liking to Dudley and decided to make him his apprentice to train him to one day be a master smith.
That was when Dudley had been about the age of six and by the time Dudley was eight he had already surpassed Desmond in all aspects except magic. For some reason that Desmond didn't know he couldn't make Dudley immune to fire, as they were working with molten metals this was at first an issue. Until Dudley found that he was able to sustain the heat with special gloves he made. He eventually graduated his trip as an apprentice and was to be sent before the council of the king to become a Master smith. But alas the night before he was to be sent there was a terrible fire in the city.
The fire started in Desmond's smithy, the old man didn't mean to let it get out of control, he was just trying to coax the dragons into trying some new flare rocks that he had received from the king, the king often gave new discoveries of interest to Desmond to tinker with, the dragons had eaten the rocks convulsed once than with a loud roar exploded. Dragon fire is special in two ways. Firstly it will burn through anything once it is lit, and secondly no magic can stop the flames. The flames spread quickly throughout the city and caused mass panic. Desmond had told Dudley “Get out of the shop with your things and run down to the slums! Don’t come looking for me, and most importantly remember to practice your skills they will serve you well!” Dudley would not be aware until the next morning that his adoptive father had single handedly put out the fire by absorbing it into his own body, however the toll from doing so was tremendous.
The fire not only took away Desmond's life,  but it also stole Dudley's entire future. In one night he was left an orphan again with no hope of ever becoming a master smith because orphans were not allowed to become master smiths. His life was once again terrible and the Headmaster once again took over his life. Instead of treating him like a normal servant the master opened up a store in the slums for people to come get their trinkets and gadgets fixed.
Since that night 6 years had passed and Dudley had grown into a mature and brilliant 14 year old. He had learned his place in life but was not contempt as he stared out over the slums from his hole in the wall of the orphanage. He looks up into the sky of the dome far overhead and notices all the districts.
At the tallest part of the city the Kings plaza rests shining brightly as a star, he had only heard stories of it from way down where he was, promises of warmth and something called sunlight. Below that tallest point of the cities peak was the Noble district where Desmond had lived Dudley shook thoughts away from the bad memories and looked farther down to the next level Slain Lane, the place with the arena the only way for people to gain a better status in life, by either battling robots built by yourself or by showing extreme prowess with magic. Slowly from that point of the city the lights grew darker until none remained showing the difference between the industrial district and the slums. the only real difference between those points was that the industrial district was where people worked were as the slums is what people lived in. With one last glance he looked up above the sky then cleared his head. He rested that night eager and excited for what he was going to do to the Headmaster tomorrow at the arena.
The next day came with the sudden brightness of all the lights in the city turning in at once with an audible click. All the orphans continue their normal daily chores not Dudley though, he and the Headmaster make there way to the inner part of the city and begin climbing up to the arena. The Headmaster wants Dudley to use his newest machine to fight and then he plans to take all the credit for himself and leave the slums behind. The headmaster pulled Dudley to the side of the busy Arena and told him that if he didn't do everything correctly there would be hell to pay. Dudley acknowledged him but when the Headmaster turned away he flipped him off then promptly got the robot ready smiling at the surprise he had planned.
The stadium stand were full and on either side the large metal gates creaked open, the crowd cheered excitedly as the two newest arena combatants entered the arena. Well actually the robots did but the humans stayed in there own separate control room where they would control every movement of the robot. The robot on one side rolled in at 80 meters tall with a large cylinder bottom much like a tank, with the size to match it and with powerful thick arms with what appeared to be missiles on top of them, Dudley studied his opponent thinking that it must move slowly he decided to strike quickly to avoid damage to his machine.i t seemed it would move slow. Even as he thought this he moved his machine into view of the spectators, and was awarded with a deafening roar of disapproval.
Dudley had put his heart and soul into this creation of his and knew exactly what the audience would be seeing. He imagined how they all must have reacted to the small and even wimpish looking Robot that barely cleared 70 Meters. Dudley robot was a dark grey color with bright yellow lights peeking through cracks in the torso, on the arms and torso was written R.H.I.M. His robot was powered on electricity which was in of itself strange when others used magic to fuel their engines. It was humanoid in shape. Besides the chest were powerful legs with obvious suspension in them to allow it to hop from one point to the next. Thick arms wielded a large two handed sword. Again a weird site for the spectators who were used to watching machines shoot each other rather than beat each other.
However what Dudley cared about most of all was the shiny helmet that acted as the head of the robot on top. The head was a dark gold Dudley had worked on it in secret to get the maximum shine out of the precious metals he had found over the years. The head was not mis shappen oh no it had a distinctive jawline and brow that made it look as though it were constantly frowning at its opponents as though disappointed at what was being offered to it.
The two combatants stood facing each other than with the signal of the flare gun they began. The tank moved first it shot three times at RHIM, everyone thought it was over for where RHIM had stood was only a crater in the ground, however as the smoke cleared they saw the true outcome of the event. RHIM had leaped clear of the missiles and landed on top of the tank, the tank swiveled from side to side looking for debris or clarification it had won. Sadly this opponent did not have proper cameras on its machine to know that RHIM was above it. With two slices from his sword Dudley disposed of the tanks arms, than he leapt down and with a third slice he caused the center of his opponents robot to waver, than topple as RHIM kicked the tank. The crashing sound of the tank was nothing in comparison to the cries of joy from the audience. “Yes”, thought Dudley, “Now they know what I’m capable of.” and from that moment on the crowd cheered for him when he entered the arena.
Many hours passed as Dudley took on opponent after opponent. The results were always the same, Dudley's foes would strike first than be struck down in a matter of seconds once dudley found their weakness. At one interval between a match, used to repair the victors machines, the Headmaster approached Dudley. He was ecstatic that Dudley was winning, Dudley then told him his plans to expose himself and how the Headmaster wouldn't be able to stop him. Dudley re entered the gate prepared for the final match.
The gates opened up and Dudley made his way to the center where he was greeted by cheering. The other gate opened and not one but three machines came out. They were the arena grand champions normally to move up in life one had to beat only one of them. Individually all three were formidable foes, One was shaped like a dragon and could spew fire hot enough to melt most metals. The second one was shaped like a large orb and was almost impossible to injure. The last and the leader and most difficult to beat of the three was a humanoid like the RHIM, unlike the RHIM however it was large, the largest machine anyone had built it towered over them all at an impressive 96 Meters this machine was known as the MOA.
Dudley wasted no time and had the RHIM leap up and climb on top of the orb from there it reached up and tore the wing of the Dragon. The dragon was now grounded and Dudley was about to finish it off when he was hit in the side by the Orb. It sent RHIM cartwheeling to the other side of the arena. The Orb whirled around and picked up speed as it approached RHIM bent down low looking as though about to leap over it. At the last possible instant he jumped not over but to the side of the Orb and stabbed his sword into it. The Orbs’ balance was off and it could no longer spin.
Turning back to the remaining two he watched as the dragon ran back to the side of the Master of the Arena. The MOA quickly grabbed the Dragon and to everyone's surprise he twisted it and snapped the spine of the creature damaging it beyond repair. The MOA than slowly approached RHIM. they stood opposite each other tension was in the air than RHIM struck first he shoved the MOA backwards to jostle him of balance then he ran around it and picked up the carcass of the Dragon. He swung the Dragon around like a club and began to beat the MOA, the MOa quickly recovered and grabbed a hold of the Dragon mid strike. He tore it out of the hand of RHIM prepared to swing it around and injure RHIM when suddenly the Dragon exploded.
Dudley had known that the Dragon machine had a fusion reactor inside of it and if was jostled enough it would explode. Needless to say the MOA was no more and dudley had won the arena. A giant hologram appeared overhead showing from the perspective of camera crews all hurrying towards the Pilot room Dudley was in, they opened the door preparing to ask him a million questions but were startled to see Dudley not in the room.
Suddenly RHIM began to move and everyone milled about in confusion as RHIM lifted its hands to the giant's mask then slowly lowered it to the floor. The mouth of the mask opened and out of the mouth came the creaking sound of a very peculiar device. It was Dudley he had been inside the machine the whole time! Everybody cheered their new champion. But the cheers were short lived for suddenly guards were escorting Dudley away from everybody and taking him to the giant Shaft, the only way to get to the Kings Plaza.
They went up the tube in silence. Dudley thought he was in trouble when they brought him before the king. HE began to open his mouth to argue and testify to the king that he had done nothing wrong. The Old man with a white beard and eyes like a stone just stared at him while he complained. Once Dudley had finished, the man sat forward in his chair and clapped his hands twice and the ceiling overhead opened.
It was bright, that was Dudley's first thought. Sunlight filled the king's chambers and as he looked Dudley saw debris and dried ground everywhere he looked.  The king and Dudley talk about how the wants of one are always less than the needs of the many, the king then asks the boy what he will do. Because it turns out no one but the king lives above the arena and he is the sole person steering the giant city. It is his duty to make sure no one ever leaves and only settle the city once they find signs of life. He explains that he took over from the last captain when he had won the arena. “Once again I ask you Dudley what will you do? Will you take control of the ship and relieve me of my duties? Or will you return to your life below the city which actually isn't that bad now that you are looking at the outside world.”
With that said the King handed Dudley a knife. Dudley looked between the knife to the king than out below the city and the surrounding wasteland. The king sat with his eyes closed sure he was about to die. Dudley did not stab the king he instead jumped.
He jumped off the Kings plaza waiting to hit the ground below. Instead of hitting the ground though he was pleased to hear the sound of his RHIM break through the side of the giant wall that separated the city from the outside. He felt himself ease into his seat inside the machine than with a resounding smack he hit the ground.
The king stared in disbelieve as the Robot far below got up seem to shake itself off than begin to run and leap away from the city. The king thought to himself that the boy should find a better place out there.