Alpha Base | Teen Ink

Alpha Base

By TheMarvelCommander, BAY VILLAGE, Ohio
TheMarvelCommander, BAY VILLAGE, Ohio

Author's note:

This was a story I dreamed up one day and decided I'd try to make a story out of it.

Hello, this is Jason Dike, yep that’s me. This is a survivor story. What I mean by that is that I survived something big. I mean BIG. So I’m here to tell you about it. By the time any humans read this they might have forgotten of the attack of 2017, but trust me, I won’t.
It all started back on June 15, 2017. Remember that date (it’s important. Duh otherwise I wouldn’t have told you it). The point is it was a normal day, my family and I was going to our annual party at the Blake’s with all our friends. The party consisted of: us the Dikes, the Danvers, and the Blake’s. I tried so hard to convince my mom to let me stay home, but man am I glad I went. We’ll get to that later. 50% of the reason I went to the party was for Tyler, one of my best friends. The other 50% though was for Felicia. I’m sure you're wondering who Felicia is. Well, she and I were great friends. We went to lunch with each other at least three times a month, we had been friends since we were both 18 months old, and yeah as you can see we were great pals. No, it never really went past friends. We had stayed “just friends” for quite a while, and I doubted it would expand past that anytime soon. Overall though we were very close and I’m sure we would both die for each other. So yeah that’s the setting… great day…normal day…and that’s when it happened. THEY ATTACKED!!

Who attacked? That would be the aliens. At first, we thought they were just an invading country or who knows what. Our hypothesis changed when we saw their transport. They were flying in on High-Tec space fighters (not circular UFO’s, weirdo). They glided down the streets letting loose a powerful payload of bullets. The aliens weren’t shooting at houses, though, just people and cars. We watched in horror as Tyler’s mom Alice was riddled with bullets. Her lifeless body was torn apart and then it slumped, bleeding, to the ground. Daisy and Benjamin were also shot but they weren’t mortally wounded.
We all scrambled quickly inside the house. Putting Benjamin and Daisy on the couch, Mrs. Danvers called 911.  That’s when it happened. A blinding flash and everything turned white. It was over in seconds, but we weren’t quite sure what had happened. That’s when we realized, everything was dark. All lights, computers, everything wasn’t working. The Aliens had launched a high-powered Emp. Not only did it kill the electricity, it changed electricity at the molecular level. You couldn’t even get a flashlight run with a battery.
We quickly rushed for clothes and towels. We used them to stop the two injured friends from bleeding out. Mr. Danvers had just one bullet hole through his arm, but Daisy had been peppered with bullets all through her knees.
We could still hear the spacecraft’s flying off in the distance, but I guess they were moving on. After everything quieted we had to soak in what had happened. Tyler was crying in the corner because he had lost his mother. I told him we could collect the body later when we knew it was safe, but he continued to sob.
This was when I had to take charge. Like I said, I used to be a spy. I was recruited when I was 8 years old. Nobody but my family, Tyler, and Felicia knew this. At my “spy school,” we were given blaster rifles. (Like in star wars). They had two functions, 1: they could use regular bullets from a gun like an AR-15 2: they could shoot laser blasts. These blasts were infinite but they had to charge up so you had to reserve them.
Point is, I had secretly stashed two of these guns in all my friends’ houses to be used in emergency’s (case in point. Ding ding). I ran to fetch them. When I brought them out, everyone was surprised. I mean they’d never seen a blaster rifle before, so I don’t blame them. I did my best to explain to them that I had been a spy. With aliens attacking they accepted it pretty quickly. We were also able to collect two pistols that the Blake’s kept for safety. On top of that, I had brought 2 Sais that I had bought, to show Tyler. So overall here is what we had: 2 blasters, 2 pistols, and 2 Sais. I hoped we could survive on that. I doubted it, though, we needed to get more weapons and fast.

We all agreed pretty quickly, that we needed to start building a base, so we could be safe. We took chairs, tables, wire fencing, and lots of other junk to make a makeshift fence in the front yard. Once this enclosure was established we could start working on the inside of the house. We needed to make certain rooms in the house designated to certain tasks. The living room was converted into a sleeping area (come on we still have to sleep). The two back room in the house would be transformed into training rooms for me to train the group how to fight. (Trust me they needed it) the garage would be used for making weapons of any kind or as a safe area. We immediately started attaching Tyler’s endless supply of knives to poles. Although these wouldn’t be the best weapons, anything was better than nothing. I assigned Mr. Blake and my dad to the task of making anything useful in the garage. Now at this point, you may be a bit confused so I made a blueprint to clear things up. So here it is: (actually it’s on the next page so turn it!!!!)

As you can see we also made a gunner’s post near the front of the building, but this couldn’t be used till we got more, you called it, “guns”. I guess I probably shouldn’t skip over anything, so yes, we made a fence in the back as well.
Once of these rooms were assigned, I decided to give everyone a tour. First, I just took them around the house showing them all the different rooms and their purposes. After this I made the most idiotic decision of my life: I said I would show them the outside. It was near dusk, so I thought there was no danger. I escorted everyone out into the front showing them the fence. I told them that we would need two guards at all times at the front and back fenc----. That’s when it happened. One of the starships flew by faster than I had ever seen before. It dropped to aliens just inside the fenced off area. I quickly picked up a Sai that I had on me and stabbed one of the extraterrestrials through the eye. The second alien, though, let loose a powerful spray of bullets in every which way. Tyler, who at the time had one of the pistols on him, took three quick shots and the alien dropped dead. That’s when we realized, Mrs. Danvers was shredded and lying dead on the ground. I quickly sent everyone but Tyler and my dad inside. we rapidly dug a 2nd hole next to Mrs. Blake’s (for anyone wondering we buried Mrs. Blake while making the fences) to bury Catherine in.
Once all the crying and grieving had slowed, we realized this would be just one of many deaths to

I’m sure you’re wondering how the guard shifts work (Just nod your head yes). Wow!!! thank you for being so interested!! The four main guards were me, Tyler, Mr. Blake, and my dad. Obviously, this meant two guards in front and two in back. Clearly though the guards would need rest sometimes.
One morning I woke up and there was a visible commotion among the group, so I asked what the problem was. Felecia told me that Tyler had seen someone come out of the house across the street and then hurriedly go back inside. So unless the aliens could shapeshift now, I guessed that meant there was a SURVIVOR. The palpable course of action was of course to investigate. Me, my dad, and Mr. Blake would go to examine the house. At dusk, we quickly strode across the street to the house where Tyler had spotted the individual. I busted down the door with the butt of my rifle. I immediately shouted, “we’re humans we come in peace” (yeah not the best first line). A young girl, around 11 years old, poked out behind the nearest corner. She was holding a pistol and you could tell she didn’t know how to use it. I kneeled down to her size and told her we wouldn’t hurt her. I still to this day don’t know how she survived on her own in her house. Mr. Blake told her that we could protect her and keep her safe at our base. She agreed quite quickly to come with us.
I opened the door to check for enemies. There were none. We ran across the street back to ALPHA BASE. My dad was just about to shut the gate behind him when an alien burst out of a manhole across the street. Surprised, he fired a couple of shots from his pistol. They all missed. The alien threw some sort of disc at my dad. It stuck to his clothing, then exploded. Dad’s face was torn apart. I swiftly ran out and fired a powerful payload of rounds at the alien. He fell instantaneously, but my dad was long dead. Tyler busted out and helped me pull my dad within the fenced area. We shut the door and started digging the 3rd hole.
That night I called everyone to the meeting room to talk. This wasn’t a battle plan or call to action. I wanted to talk about everyone we had lost. Felecia and daisy had lost their mom. As had Tyler. Now I had lost my father. These were hard times but we knew we had to get through.
The 11-year-old told us her name was Tori Moriah, and that she had watched her parents die from her living room window. After so much death it was good to hear about at least one survivor.

After the one alien had come out of the manhole, we were a bit worried. I told everyone to stay away from any sewer entrances or manholes, just to be safe.
At this point in time, we decided we needed more recourses. We determined to investigate the house to our right. Our hope was that this would become Beta Base me, my brother martin, and Mr. Danvers would be the ones to scour the house for recourses. Instead of going through the front door we agreed to bust the side window of this house in order to gain access. We crawled out our side window. Once we were all out in the open I smashed the window to the house with the butt of my blaster. We all climbed through, one by one. As soon as martin jumped through, I followed. After we were all inside, I led the group to the main living area of the house. All of a sudden an alien ran around the corner and started firing. I ducked, but this was a fatal decision because the spray of bullets perforated Martin and Mr. Danvers. Straightaway I drew a Sai from my belt and tossed it with a great amount of force at the alien. It missed and clanged into the nearest hallway. The alien took the gun and swung straight at my head. At this, I threw up my hands, and the swinging gun tossed me against the wall. I quickly grabbed a snow globe that was on the counter behind me and chucked it powerfully at the aliens head. It smashed on his cranium, and glass flew in all directions. Then before he recovered, I picked up the nearest piece of glass and stabbed it into the alien’s neck. A dark blue liquid oozed out of the cut. After all this action I fell back and cried out in pain. My arms felt like they might have been broken, and the house was trashed. From hearing all the commotion, Tyler had jumped through the shattered window into the chaotic house. He gasped at seeing my brother and Mr. Danvers dead on the floor.
He helped me take the bodies back to alpha base. While the rest of the crew dug more holes, I sadly suggested we go back to the other house for the needed supplies. When we had both gone back to the living room of “Beta Base”, we noticed I faint beeping noise coming from the alien. On his neck was what looked like some sort of miniature bomb. I yelled and we both ran to the window, but a little too late. The bomb exploded, launching us violently out of the window.
“Beta Base” was no more. As much as we needed supplies we had to be done for the day. At this point, you may be wondering why I wasn’t crushed at my brother’s death. The answer to that is simple, I’d seen so much death lately I had no more tears left to shed.
Daisy and Felicia had lost both their parents now, and we felt like this would never end.

Now right now you might be wondering who the heck is dead and who is alive. Well this list is for you:
Alive                         Dead
Me                          Mr. Danvers
Tyler                        Mrs. Danvers 
Felicia                        My Dad
Daisy (paralyzed)                Mrs. Blake
Olivia                         Martin
My mom                     
Mr. Blake
Tori
(By the way, my arms were hurt quite a bit, but they weren’t broken)

Chapter 6: Not so convenient
One of the main reasons we wanted to access “Beta Base”, was to get more food. So it’s no surprise that after it was demolished we needed more of it. The plan was that in the middle of the night Tyler, Mr. Blake, and I would go to the nearest convenient store. There was one “conveniently” just up the road. Hahaha…see what I did there…hahah……ok sorry……anyway moving on. As I was saying because of this apocalypse, there would be no problem with stealing from the store. I doubted……no I know there was no one running it anymore. This was very risky leaving the rest of the crew on their own. I had trained many of them, but nobody was skilled enough to fend off a full-on alien attack. So accordingly we hoped we could finish the mission quickly. Carrying nothing but some garbage bags for the food and our weapons, we took off. Creeping in the shadows, we made our way towards the store. Once we arrived we realized this would be much harder than we thought. Not surprisingly all lights were off, and remember, no flashlights. Plus, the whole building looked like it had been stepped on by King Kong. Other than all that destruction, it was fine. Walking in, the inside was no better than the outside. Shelves were strewn everywhere and the food was all over the ground. We quickly stuffed our bags with as much intact food as we could and then scurried out. But of course, we weren’t safe yet. As soon as we left the building five aliens jumped down from on top of the store. I reacted quickly and shredded two of them with a volley of bullets. Tyler took the third one’s head off with a well-placed blaster shot, and now there were only two left. Then Mr. Blake shot the fourth quite efficiently. I guess I was getting too c***y because I started firing pot shots. Missing every time, I really wasn’t worried. This was an entirely stupid decision because the last alien rolled forwards toward Mr. Blake and stabbed him in the neck with a knife. It almost looked like the knife was part of his arm, but I will never know because Tyler let loose so many bullets at the alien that it ended up in too many pieces to count. Tyler hastily sprinted towards his dad and held him in his arms. Before Mr. Blake passed away he quietly told Tyler this: “This war has taken a toll on all of us, but keep fighting. Fight for not just yourselves, but the whole world. Give these aliens a bit of their own medicine and do it quickly.” Then he was gone. We knew we couldn’t stay out in the open, and in addition, we couldn’t drag Mr. Blake’s body back to the base. So we left him lying on the concrete parking lot staring up eternally towards the sky.
Back at “Alpha Base” everyone was talking to and comforting Tyler, but I was contemplating Tyler’s Dad’s last words. “…… a taste of their own medicine……” maybe this was just how we would win.

It was time for a change. A drastic one. We needed to stop solely surviving and start attacking……winning. We had lost far too many friends and so it was time to take the fight to the aliens.
I brought everyone to the meeting room, and I discussed my strategy. As far as we could tell the army, navy, all of the most powerful organizations had failed. Failed to bring down the aliens. “Giving them a taste of their own medicine” was a sole part of my scheme. So if the army had failed, maybe the only way to defeat them was with their own weapons. More specifically, their own power. I had a Theory that they must have had a core station to recharge their vehicles. They must have had some sort of main station. Or even many “Main Stations”. Once we found one of these “Stations”, we could determine a plan of attack. (Sorry lots of “stations”……crap there I go again)
Even though not everyone was trained as much as I would have liked, everyone had to come (other than daisy). Though, yes, spreading out would help finding this “Station” easier, it was too dangerous. Thus, at midnight, we took off in search of destiny. (Well……something like that.)
After ten minutes we passed the destroyed convenient store, but we kept walking. Another ten of strolling down desolate streets revealed nothing of use. It all changed, though, after another 20 minutes, I spotted it. A bulky interwork of metal poles and wires. It stood a good three stories high and was as big as a football field. We sidestepped behind a clump of trees, to investigate more.
The facility was crawling with hundreds of aliens of all sizes. They were charging their vehicles and guns and then taking off into the sky again. It also seemed that they were receiving radio signals from this station, as well as sending them out. Seconds later Tyler said, “Come on we can take them.” I was shocked. I mean there were hundreds of them, was he insane. He surprisingly jumped out from behind the trees and charged towards the “Station” screaming. I knew I couldn’t have just let him go on his own, so I dashed out with him. Sadly, though, so did the rest of the crew. I fired a dozen or so blaster shots, taking out a few aliens at a time. We had the element of surprise, so at first, we were winning quite easily. Then they must have sent out a distress call because several Space fighters appeared out of the sky. I directed my attention to those ships while everyone else attacked the aliens. A brutal battle ensued, that lasted more than 30 minutes. No matter how many aliens we killed, more just kept coming. The rest of the group could hold their own pretty well, though. Felicia and Olivia were assaulting the facility with a surprising amount of vigor, and my mom was helping me barrage the enemy space fighters. I guess one of the main alien leaders must have been getting annoyed because it picked up two giant blasters and marched towards my mom. He fired dozens of blaster shots. I was able to rush over and shove my mom out of the way, but his second volley I couldn’t protect her from. I watched in shock as a blaster put a soccer ball sized hole through her stomach. I jumped up and fired two shots at the alien. They both missed, but I ran and slid towards it chucking a Sai at its face. The Sai hit its mark but didn’t eradicate the alien. So in succession I fired a salvo of shots at its face, killing it instantaneously. While I was dueling with this large alien, Felicia and Olivia were finding trouble taking down another group of the extra-terrestrials. I ran over and helped them to eradicate the aliens. Then all of a sudden an alien 2 times the size of the one that had killed my mom, landed on the ground after jumping out of a ship. I fired a good assault of shots at it, but that’s when I was taken aback. The large alien threw up some sort of force field, and all my shots were deflected. It then marched forward, a metal plate in its arm folded out and a knife protruded forward. At first, I thought it was just going to charge forward and try to face us in hand to hand combat. Then to my surprise, the knife sprung out of the socket in its arm and raced towards me. I was so shocked that I paused and stumbled backward. As it was feet away from piercing through my stomach, I was saved. Felicia jumped forwards to deflect the knife, but as she jumped it hit her chest instead. The blade stabbed right through her ending her life immediately. I was in so much shock I just stared and fell to the ground. At this, the alien laughed and shot aimlessly at the ground, shredding Felicia’s body to pieces. I then jumped up screaming and ran at full speed ahead.

I doubted the alien’s force field could hold up to my blaster rifle. One extremely powerful shot later the alien was nothing but a pile of ash. Unfortunately, this brash move had completely drained my blaster down. Sooo yeah……no more shots for a while. I cringed as I looked down at Felicia’s body, but I couldn’t waste time I had to keep moving. I realized all of this was pointless. We weren’t getting anywhere just taking down a couple aliens here and there. I knew if we were going to win we had to take them all out at once. None of our weapons could have done this, but like Mr. Blake said we could give them a taste of their own medicine. If I could redirect the energy they were using to charge their ships and weapons, we could win. How I would do this I didn’t know. That’s when I spotted it, a control room tucked back behind the station. I shouted to Tyler to cover me, as I sprinted over to the little room. I kicked open the door, and without looking shot in all directions. I looked down to see that I had killed two very small aliens that were sitting in little cubicles. There was one giant control board in the corner. I assumed this was the control board I could use to carry out my plan. At the back of the panel was a green looking box with hundreds of wires protruding out the back of it. Of course, nothing is that simple. It was covered in a small force field. (Of course) I took two shots from my blaster but it still hadn’t recharged enough. I needed to destroy this force field and fast. I looked around the small rectangular room, but I couldn’t find any blaster rifles. I quickly search the first alien and to my surprise he was carrying a circular detonator. Identical to the one used on my father. It had countless nobs and divots but no clear sign on how to use it. I started twisting the nobs trying to get it to work but to no avail. Finally, I frustratingly threw it roughly on the floor. That’s when it started to light up and squeal with a high pitched screech. I jumped towards the door as it detonated violently and rocked the entire room. Once the dust cleared I looked up to see that the force field had ceased to exist. Triumphantly I rushed over to the instrument panel to probe it thoroughly. Finally, after ten minutes my blaster rifle had recharged. I backed up and fired a powerful shot at the green box. As it was demolished it sent a vicious wave of energy feedback at the aliens. As I walked outside victoriously I realized something was wrong. The aliens weren’t being hurt by the feedback, in fact, they looked perfectly fine. I hastily dashed back into the undersized control room to reconnoiter. At the top left of the panel, I saw a scanner. It kind of looked like a fingerprint scanner, but next to it was an illustration of what looked like a nose. I couldn’t read the text next to it, but I assumed it gave access to something important. I grabbed one of the dead aliens and slammed his snout down onto the scanner. I light flicked green, and that’s when the utter carnage commenced. Apparently the scanner disabled the force fields surrounding each individual alien. So once those were gone, there was nothing to protect them from the feedback coming from the green box. I stepped outside and watched in utter amazement as planes crashed to the ground and aliens fell to the earth for the last time. Walking over to my friends we watched as the sun slowly rose peeking in on victory. 

It was over……it was really over. After all, that had happened, the peace I experienced was foreign to me. Once the explosions ceased and the chaos died away, I had to face the facts. Felicia and my mom were dead. I walked over to Felecia’s body and stared down. There she was laying peacefully on the ground. It didn’t matter that she was unrecognizable; it didn’t matter that she was torn to pieces. She was still beautiful. I tenderly picked her up and carried her over to where my mom was lying. I gently placed her on the ground and said my last goodbyes. There might have been something between us somewhere in the future, but now that dream had been crushed. Tyler sauntered over to me and placed his hand on my shoulder. Then tori walked out and handed me a shovel she had found at the Alien’s now destroyed station. I had dug so many holes over the last few weeks, but these last two were much harder than before. After I hollowed out a large hole for both of them, I laid Felicia and my mom down in the holes. I started covering them with dirt, but then I stopped. This would be the last time I would ever see them. I faced this circumstance and kept dropping dirt. Finally, Felicia’s body was completely covered, and I dropped to the ground in exhaustion. 

So yeah there it is. That’s my story. Me, Jason dike, survived the Attack of 2017. It was brutal, violent, and something I will never forget, but it helped me to mature fast. Not only did I mature but I learned how to be a leader.
So why am I telling you this? Why did I write this all down? That’s actually a good question. Maybe I’m writing this all down to get it off my chest. I really felt like I wanted to pull a “Luke Skywalker at the end of The Force Awakens” after all that I had gone through. After all, that I had experienced it was hard to get back into normal life. In fact, at the time, we didn’t know this but there were only 10,000 survivors in America alone. So I guess “Normal life” is a stretch.
But I think the real reason I’m writing this may be to give you hope. Like I said, I have no idea if whoever is reading this will even remember the attack of 2017, but the point of this is to help you. Maybe there will never be another alien attack, but perhaps this story will help you to get through a divorce in your family. Possibly even a death of someone close to you. After you have seen everything that I have gone through, maybe it will make your circumstances easier.
All right I know I know…you want to know what happened to everyone. Well, slowly but surely the electricity started returning. So we had to restart America. Yah with only 10,000 individuals that might sound hard but we made it work.
Tyler was affected so greatly by all his loss that he had a breakdown and sadly died only two months after the attack was over.
Olivia, my sister, was a huge part of the recreation of our new America. She started new programs, schools, and lots of other great things.
Daisy, though paralyzed, became a teacher for the first school we created in “New America”. Consequently, she was never the same after her entire family was killed like Tyler’s was.
Tori was a trooper. She was the one person that helped all of us to get out of our depressing slump after the attack. She even asked me out on a date once but I turned her down. I just couldn’t handle getting attached to someone again after everything that happened with Felicia.
So yeah that’s all. Here I am, I still can’t believe I endured the entire attack. In fact, I can’t believe any of us did. So here I am, living in the America that I helped make. So here are the facts: My name is Jason Dike, and I’m a SURVIVOR.

END