The Genius Boy | Teen Ink

The Genius Boy

By KaylaCowell, Rocklegde, Florida
KaylaCowell, Rocklegde, Florida

Author's note:

The idea for this book came to me randomly, although I put a lot of thought into the characters and the plot. When people read this book I hope they will laugh and enjoy it as much as I did writing it. 

This is the first chapter and it basically happens before the story starts and introduces Todd and his family.

PROLOGUE

My name is Todd Williams. Pretty normal name if you ask me, so normal that if you probably walked up to anyone and asked their name they would respond with, ‘My name is Todd Williams, just like that other guy.’ Or it would be a name close to that effect. I’m 15 years old, and graduated high school when I was 13. My mom was always so protective over my ‘prodigy powers’ that they would not allow me into the public school system, no matter how much I begged. I can still remember everyone’s confused face as I called the teacher ‘ill-advised.’ She had simply frowned and kept on with the lesson, not knowing most likely what the definition of that word was but after recess, I got called up to the office, so I assume it was because she looked it up on her phone, which I also knew she had because it was loosely hanging out of her back pocket. My mom was in a deep conversation with my principal when I arrived at the office, head low, shoes scraping the ground. When my mom looked up and had seen me, she had smiled a smile that can lighten up a room for days, and brought me into a hug. “Sweetie,” she said, “we’re going to talk about what happened today, okay?” I nodded quickly and exited the office heading to the car.
   After my mom joined me in the car, we drove 45 minutes to my favorite ice cream parlor. Little did I know that was going to be my last day at the School for Little Learners. My mom had first signed me up for lessons at the local middle school, who had a small separate room for ‘advanced’ children, but after one day of me coming home crying saying the older kids picked on me and called me a ‘nerd’, my mom decided enough was enough and pulled me out of the school system as quick as I was in. My dad was a little reluctant at first, saying, ‘He needs to toughen up, because I will not have a son as a coward.’ But sadly, after at least two months of home-schooling me, my mom grew busier with work and whatever moms do and she was unable to home-school me so she decided that I was smart enough to skip a few grades and she had me take one of those tests that ‘gifted’ children take. I passed it with flying colors. So that was how I was six in 3rd grade, seven in 4th grade, and eight in 5th grade.
   Then my mom got fired from her job, and with a little spare time on her hands, she decided she would home-school me until she can get another job. But secretly, I think she just hates the school system because she was home-schooled herself. After two years of successful home-schooling, my mom had found a better job and that ended my home-schooling once again. Luckily, it was better than the one she had during the two year gap and that job didn’t even pay well. With my dad’s job as a high school math teacher, we managed though. Her job though was to watch the annoying kids from next door while their parents went to work or went out. During that time, I would usually stuff myself in my room. But my mom had to babysit and she was my teacher, so I had to be around the kids also. My mom’s new job was at a pizza restaurant down the road from our house though, and every day she would bring home a whole pie of pizza. So, I guess that job worked out for the both of us.

This is the first chapter.

Chapter One

I can recall vaguely, of a time when science was not really an interest to me. I did not despise it or really try to avoid it, really with all my interests, I let them come to me like a magnet, and science was never one. But I had loved music. I played violin ever since I was 5 years old, and it was amazing.
   My mom had even assigned me private lessons and, well, they were okay, except my teacher was always busy and her phone rang every five minutes. My uncle, Bill, was in a band when he was sixteen years old, but they all split up and went separate ways after high school. My dad was even in a band, and he played electric guitar, though it was only for his sophomore year of high school. When I ask him if he still remembers how to play he responded with, ‘Boy, I don’t even remember where I put my car keys.’ But anyway, back to me, music was a huge part of my life, and for many of my family members it had been too. But then one day on my thirteenth birthday I was walking home from school, and saw a sign that said, ‘COME TO NEW SCIENCE MUSEUM, 576-8769, 8TH STREET.’ I had never seen that sign, I was absolutely sure of it, for I had walked this route many times before. I got out my phone and typed in the phone number. And eventually, a voice picked up. It was shrill and very unpleasant to the ear.
   “Is this Marge? Oh my god! I told you I would pay the darn light bill, stop pestering me!” I cleared my throat and spoke in a mature grown-up voice. “No? I’m not Marge. I was walking down the street and I noticed your sign on the side of the road.” There was a pause, a very awkward one, and suddenly he or she, was yelling in my ear. “DARN! I TOLD MARGE NOT TO PUT UP THE SIGNS YET-WE’RE NOT READY, AND I WILL TELL YOU WHEN, BYE!” I pulled the phone away from my ear, cringing. “Wait!” I yelled. “YES?” The voice said, slightly aggravated. “Look I won’t judge your place okay?” I said. No noise. “My dad’s a little mad at me for being a prodigy and all, I’m a senior in high school, and he wants me to get out of the house, so I was-,” I got cut off by a beep. He or she had hung up on me.
   I used an app that I had downloaded, or made possibly, to track down where the science emporium was exactly, and I double-checked that my violin was strapped securely on my back and was on my way to the science emporium whistling Mozart.

This is the third chapter, there was a little confusion, so this is also technically the second chapter.

Chapter Three

I really did not know what I was expecting when I arrived at the emporium, to be completely honest. I know whoever I called on the phone was not going to be happy to see me most likely. And when I said I had absolutely nothing to do, I was being one-hundred percent honest. My dad was mad at me and it all started with a simple question.
                                              FLASHBACK
   We were sitting at the dinner table. It was in the summer, and my next school year would be my senior year.
MOM: So, how was everyone’s day?
DAD: Good, good. Wayne let us off early, so I stopped by the pet shop. I bought some turtle food for Todd’s turtles.
ME:*nods in appreciation*
DAD: Todd, I hate being the annoying dad that is always on their son’s cases, but I’d like to ask you what you’ve been up to these past few weekends.
ME: Um, well the usual, I guess.
MOM: You guess?
DAD: And what is the usual?
ME: Studying.
DAD: Well, you know that camp that you love? What was it called…Camp Strings? Well I stopped by there the other day, to catch up with one of my friends from high school, his son goes to the local college by the way.
   Dad stops talking for a second, letting the word ‘college’ ring in the air, like a bullet shot, and you know it’s going to fall, but you just don’t know when.
ME: Dad, you know I would love to go to college, it’s just…How would you feel going to college with a 15 year-old. It’s weird.I may have the mentality, but I just don’t know if I’m ready yet. And I already applied to Juilliard. I just don’t think they got it yet.
MOM: Patience is key, Todd. Plus, we can’t home-school you forever, calculus and I are not a good match. You’ll probably be the smartest one there.
DAD: Okay, well hear this, Harold remembers you and would like you to volunteer over the summer just a few hours. You know? Teach the newbies how to play violin.
   I grabbed my napkin.
DAD: So what do you say?
ME: I don’t know.
DAD: You know Todd I’m tired of sticking my neck out for you, when all you do is reject good offers. I mean sure it was a non-paying job. This is the third time this week you reject one of my offers!
ME: I’m kind of busy!
DAD: *stands up from chair and wipes mouth with napkin* Well let me know when you’re done being busy.
                                      END OF FLASHBACK
   I really never understood why Dad was so mad at me that day. Mom told me it was because all he ever wanted was a son that was not so smart. I’m more brains than brawn. But she also said I was smarter than her and Dad could ever be in 5 lifetimes.
   I liked my old camp. They called it Camp Strings, but only because when I had first starting going there, they had a vote on what the camp name should be. I came up with Camp Musical. Yes. I was devoid of creativity at the moment (although, I wouldn’t say Michaela had put much thinking into her name either). Of course, Michaela Richards had won, because everyone loved her amazing cello skills and she was also the oldest of all of her fellow campers and heading off to some prestigious college the following year.
   From what I can tell, my GPS app was telling me I was nearing the science emporium. A feeling overcame me at the moment and I did not know how to describe it. It was more of a childish feeling, like how a five year-old feels before arriving at a candy store. And I, being a tad bit smarter than the general population, my mind was always open for knowledge. I ended up standing in front of a building that was beige. It looked sort of run-down, and not very pleasant to the eye. I searched for any cars in the parking lot, to find none. No one was there. I didn’t think my GPS app would have error so the voice I had talked to earlier had probably left.
   I felt all the excitement and happiness escape my body at once through one sigh. I spun around on my heel and started on my journey home. I would come back tomorrow.

This is the fourth chapter.

Chapter Four

I can remember the day like it happened yesterday instead of 10 years ago.
                                                 FLASHBACK
MRS. LINN: Okay kids! Settle down! This is a formal event, no jabbering or moving around! Just sit!
I can recall I was 5 years old and we were on a field trip,  I obviously not in school, my mom’s co-worker, Cindy Linn, was a kindergarten teacher. Mrs. Linn was taking her students on a field trip to an orchestral field trip, which I obviously found odd, because I highly doubted 30 kindergartners could keep quiet during the pieces.
KID: Ouch! Ms. Linn! Harry pulled my hair!
Mrs. Linn sighs.
FANCY PERSON: Oh, you must be the kindergarten group.
MRS. LINN: Let me guess, you recognized us from all the obnoxious noise.
FANCY PERSON: That and the small children. Although it is quite peculiar as to why they would let a bunch of 5 year-olds into an orchestral concert?
Mrs. Linn shrugs half-heartedly.
It was very hot, I recall. I kept on fidgeting around in my tuxedo which I had not wanted to wear in the first place, almost throwing a temper tantrum until I realized there was no point because my mom was dead-set on making me wear it, and when that woman was determined to get something, she was absolutely terrifying.
The lights dimmed and people sat down and eventually the room became deadly silent (with the exception of a few noisy kindergarteners). I received a tap on my shoulder. It was Peter, a bully.
PETER: Hey nerd. What are you doing?
ME: Trying to listen to some orchestral music, so back off.
PETER: *snorts* Music is for losers.
ME: Not tr- 
I never got to finish what I was trying to say because I was cut off by something magical.

It was one note.
1 violin.
1 person.
Yet it filled the whole stage with warmth and love and everything in between. Even Peter shut up and sat back, staring in awe, probably as every single one of the kindergartners were doing.
Once the solo was completed, the audience erupted into cheers, and Mrs. Linn made us give the man a standing ovation because she said it was being courteous. I asked her what that meant and she said it meant being polite and respectful.
The cheering soon died down and I realized I needed to make a move. It was now or never, as my mom says it.
ME: Wait!
The man doesn’t hear me and continues walking off-stage, violin in tow.
I yell louder.
ME: Wait!
The man stops in his tracks and searches in the audience probably wondering if somebody was asking him to wait and not anybody else. Everyone around me searched though it did not take them long to spot me because I was standing on my chair hands cupped around my mouth to make my voice louder and my face all red and blotchy from the horrible tuxedo.
MRS. LINN: T odd! What are you doing? Take your seat now!
ME: No. I want to ask him a question.
Mrs. Linn’s face goes red with embarrassment.
ME: I want to play your violin!
I had to be straight-forward with this guy, in a few seconds my whole kindergarten class and I would probably be thrown out of the place by a bunch of grumpy, old, fancy people.
The man searches the audience until his eyes land on me, and he gives me a worried smile.
ME: Can I play your violin?
I was obviously the opposite of being courteous.

This is the fifth chapter.

Chapter Five

Staying true to my stubborn nature, I was not going to take no for an answer and I returned to the science emporium the next day. When I arrived at the parking lot, it wasn’t empty like it was yesterday, there was a blue pick-up truck and it was parked like the maybe the driver should not have his or her license. I continued walking to the store. The place looked like it desperately needed a paint job, and the huge, green, dumpster reeked of a scent I could not put my finger on.
   The feeling of excitement came back to me as I got closer to the door. The windows were tinted, as if the people inside the building didn’t want to be seen, but I found that odd because it was a science emporium, and many people were going to be visiting so why not get used to it now? I pulled the door open and I was met with a blast of cold air which sent my combed hair awry. So much for trying to actually look nice that day, anyway, so I walked inside further and my eyes adjusted to the dark setting. It was a huge contrast from the sunny day outside. I saw a door and a keyboard attached to it by some wires. Curiosity killed the cat, but I reached forward and was about to press some buttons when a robotic female voice said, “Please enter your name. It will be sent to Mr. Hot, and once he approves you will be allowed forward, if he does not approve, you have five seconds to exit before this room goes into self-destruct.” My common-sense kicked in, so instead of typing my real name I typed in a fake one. I quickly typed in my ‘name’ and pressed the enter key. “Thank you for your patience,” the voice said, “It will be a few seconds before I will get back to you.” I didn’t mind for I was observing the room. On one of the walls was a poster. And it actually smelt like burning acids. “Hello Mr. Pumberbutton, your request to get into the emporium has been denied, you have five seconds before this room will self-destruct,” the female voice said. And if the self-destruct part wasn’t the cherry on top, it also started ticking. ‘Oh God, this is when I die, all those years of home-schooling, and violin for no reason-WAIT, a sudden thought hit me like a train.
   Why would he plant a self-destruct bomb in here when he has danger of ruining surrounding areas, and also a serious sentence in prison for murdering a stubborn, unsuspecting, too-smart-for-his-own-good, teenager. The ticking stopped and I thanked myself for not panicking and leaving. No bomb. No fire. Nothing at all. The metal door opened and when it did, a huge smoke cloud came out and when it did, a man also did. He looked around mid-thirties, and he looked exhausted. “Wow kid, you really don’t take no for an answer, not even a bomb-threat,” he said. I shrugged my shoulders and smiled timidly. “Funny last name, might I say… Pumberbutton?  Right?” He asked, a smile covering his lips. I sigh. “My actual name is Todd.” The man then sports a surprised expression and said, “My name is Todd.”
   “Interesting, I’ve always had this concept that my name was the most common name on the planet, and now I seem to believe that is true,” I said, rocking back on my heels. Todd smiles but his smile soon disappears a few seconds after it arrived, and he then donned a serious expression. “Look, I don’t know what you want. Maybe you’re from my old job, and they’re out looking for me or something, honestly, they’ll make anyone do their dirty work, even an unsuspecting kid like you.” I had no idea what this guy was talking about. “Just get out of here,” he said. “But I wanted to se-,” I got cut off. “Please leave.” And with that he turned around and with that I was forced out of the emporium by a robotic female voice, saying she will go into self-destruct if I don’t leave, and instead of fighting back, I left.

******
That night when I got home, I went straight to my room and got on my laptop. Maybe, just maybe, Todd uploaded a website about his emporium. But when I searched for it on the internet, using mainly words like, science emporium and in the state of Florida, still nothing came out, and I was seriously thinking about re-evaluating my life when my mom came in my room. “Hey, sweetheart, what are you up to?” She asked, wearing a suspicious smile. This meant no good. “Um nothing much, the usual, you know?” I said with a lazy smile. She took a seat on my bed, ruffling my Star Wars sheets. “Well, I’m glad you’re relaxed. Your father has been stressing about his job so much lately. Maybe that’s why he lashed out at you last night, he said sorry about that, by the way,” she said. I looked at my wall. “He loves you so much and he just wants you to hang out with him every once in a while, you know? I mean, when was the last time you actually had a relaxing Father and Son day out?” She asked, crossing her arms.
   I put on a fake thinking face, and stroked my imaginary beard. “I don’t know when I was like 5?” I said. She fake gasped and put her hand over her heart. “You guys are in serious need of more bonding time!” She yelled, laughing. We sat in comfortable silence, me in my rolling chair and her on my bed. Suddenly the loud oven rang. “Well come on kiddo, food is done,” she said standing up. She noticed my sheets and fixed them up. “Do you still like Star Wars?” She asked. I gave her a disappointed look and pointed at my movie rack which was filled with every Star Wars movie ever made. “I’m taking that as a yes.” And I left my room while also leaving any negative emotions. Family comes first, emporium later.

This is the sixth chapter.

Chapter Six

I can basically remember almost every single day of my Kindergarten life. My nickname I had acquired was ‘That Weird Kid’ and I kind of lived up to it, I guess. My days were filled with Legos, and when I say Legos, I mean tons of Legos, like hundreds of them. I even made houses and stuff.

FLASHBACK
MRS. LINN: You know, Jean, he’s just a smart kid.
MOM: I know, I just worry for him sometimes, like am I parenting right?
MRS. LINN: Oh, I am sure you are. It’ s just… maybe he prefers to be alone.
ME: *playing with Legos, completely aware that my mom was standing there watching me (it made me feel like an animal in a zoo.)*
   Wait, sorry to ruin this flashback, but I actually had one friend, his name was Ned and he was fascinated with picking his nose and constantly wore shirts (in most occasions they said something like ‘I love Mommy’s kisses!’) that rode up to his bellybutton.

NED: Hey, you’re Todd!
ME: *stares up at him, then my eyes fall down to his bellybutton, and then I silently gag.*
NED: I’m talking to you! Hello?
MOM: Hey sweetie, I think that boy is trying to talk to you
ME: What?
NED: I’m Ned.
ME: Todd.
NED: Ha! I had a goldfish named Todd! *suddenly a sad atmosphere takes over* But I flushed him in the toilet.
ME: *looks at mom for help* Okay. Bye now.
NED: What does your shirt say?
ME: *looks down at shirt* I guess it says, “Star Wars.”
NED: Wow! I love that movie it’s so… cool.
  Time to interrupt this flashback, (although I’m not sure it counts since I’m the one doing the flashbacking.) Ned and I currently talk every once in a while, although not as much. Ned was pretty devastated in Kindergarten when I told him I was being home-schooled, and yes, I did have to explain the definition of ‘home-schooling’ to him. I mean, he was so mad he wouldn’t even give me one of his cookies at Snack Time, and that boy loves his cookies. Of course me being a 5 year-old, that was a pretty low-blow for me. But actually, I think he was kind of jealous of me being able to graduate before him or not at the same time. I mean if I can go back and pick exactly how I would want to be in the future I would eliminate the ‘prodigy’ part.

The following night at the dinner table, things even got worse:
MOM: So, Dominic, how was your day?
DAD: Good, good. So funniest story ever at work, Paul, my boss, goes to some sub place down the road and he brings back leftovers. And in sharpie, he puts ‘PAUL’S FOOD DO NOT TOUCH, IF YOU DO, YOU WILL FACE MY MIGHTY WRATH!’ Of course anyone with a normal brain would cower, but the intern, Sasha I think, goes right on ahead and eats the sub! In five minutes, the whole sub is gone! And then Paul gets back and he’s searching for it, until he realizes, in his tiny mind that Oliver, the poor man, ate it. I mean I wanted to step in, but there was too much of a risk.
MOM: Wow, so you must’ve had… an interesting day. So Todd, how was your day?
ME: *looks up from plate and has to get on knees in chair* Well mom, it was rather average.
MOM: Aw, well why was that?
ME: An annoying kid wouldn’t stop talking to me.
I began to start tapping my fingers on the table.
MOM: Maybe you can start making new friends. I know you would love to have someone to sit next to you on the bus to that orchestra field trip. Remind me again, Dominic, why their bringing a bunch of kindergartners to an orchestra concert?
DAD: I would answer that question if I had an answer.
ME: You know guys maybe some kids are actually different. Maybe some actually want to listen to the music.
DAD: A bunch of over-active 5 year-olds? Yeah right.
MOM: Hey, stop it. Maybe Todd’s right.
ME: No, mom. I don’t want to be friends with Ned or anyone.
MOM: *ignores me* I know this high-school student, really smart girl. She plays violin and viola. Maybe Todd can play.
DAD: Nah, my little man here is going to play a sport, right Todd?
MOM: Come on! Don’t you think a musical instrument would be much better for our little Einstein?
DAD: No, I don’t want him to be like his older brother. All that singing stuff, it’s ridiculous
MOM: Why can’t you be happy for him? He’s doing something he loves?
ME: Guys stop! *I stand up on my chair* I don’t want you to make my life for me! I want to make my own decisions!
The room goes silent.
ME: I’m going to bed now.
And they don’t stop me.

*****
   I was lying on my bed that was Star Wars clad and glaring up at the ceiling fan as if it was my parents whom I was very angry with. I didn’t want to go that stupid school, and I thought I’ve been making that very clear, but I guess not clear enough. Suddenly my door opens, and my mom steps in.
MOM: Hey sweetheart, what are you up to?
ME: I was just going to sleep.
MOM: Don’t be like that. Look, I’m sorry for what your dad and I said at the table earlier. Even though you’re five… I guess we should let you make your own decisions.
Suddenly I am interested and I sit up in bed.
ME: So… can I start now?
MOM: *chuckles* I guess.
ME: I don’t like my school and I want to move.
MOM: Wow, okay… Um, maybe a less demanding decision?
ME: Well that’s what I want.
MOM: Well, sweetie sometimes you can’t get what you want. I’m really sorry about this, sweetheart.
   I guess the both of us didn’t get what we wanted that day.

This is the seventh chapter.

Chapter Seven

It was one of those days that made you want to stay in bed all day. For me, being almost graduated and still waiting for a letter from Juilliard, it made that thought theoretically possible. But back on track, nothing could prepare me for what was going to happen that day. I was lying on my bed and suddenly my door burst open and my dad stood there dressed in khakis, a Yankees jersey, and a baseball cap. “Hey Todd, so I thought ‘When was the last time Todd and I hung out?’ And I honestly couldn’t recall any time in the past year! So I bought some tickets online and they finally came in,” he said, in basically one breath. It was dead silence and suddenly a thought occurred to me. He probably felt bad about our argument at the dinner table, and I have to admit, I was wrong too so maybe this could be a chance to get on his good side.
   “Sure, I mean that sounds good.” My dad’s eyes widened. “That’s all you have to say? I spent lots of money on this because we needed more father-son bonding time,” he said. I was almost going to say that no one asked him to buy the tickets but I was almost one hundred percent sure my mom put him up to this scheme, and my nicer self was convincing me not to. “Sorry dad. I am just surprised, honestly,” I said. “Well get changing! We’ll hit the road in 30!” He yelled and tromped out of my room, smiling. As much of a bad idea I thought this was, I was smiling also.

******
   The weather on the trip was moderately nice, with a few rain showers every now and then. The music situation on the trip was slightly hectic in the beginning when dad decided songs from the 80’s would be the correct route to pick. “Dad,” I said, “I don’t even know half of these songs.” He smiled at me. “Aw, come on Todd, at least the rest of the song.” I groaned because the song had just started. “Dad, please switch the station,” I said, and mustered up the most sincere puppy dog face. He sighed and put his hands up, as if to let me touch the radio. “Thanks,” I said. I connected the radio to my phone using the AUX cord. As soon as the first cello note came, I was under a deep trance. I couldn’t say the same for my dad. “Come on Todd, classical music? Is this girly time or what?” He said, with a serious expression. I snapped out of my ‘trance’. “Classical music is not for girls.” He laughed.
   Dad reached for the cord and I snatched it away. I can’t believe he’s acting like this. This baseball game was supposed to make our relationship not colder but now it just made it ten degrees below zero. “I bet you wouldn’t judge any music Leland makes,” I said, referring to my 20 year-old brother. “Leland is an adult now. He chose the music path, and it was a long and hard one. I mean remember that one time he was waiting for a gig for months? He had no money and no jobs wanted to hire him because he just didn’t have the… talent. He wasted all his alone time on music.” “But he made it big-time,” I said. I knew partially I was lying. Leland didn’t make it ‘big-time’ per se. He was known enough though that in public some people would do double-takes and on more rare occasions actually ask him for an autograph or picture. “I know but look at what he had to go through to get there. Open your eyes Todd. You’re only 13, and in a few months you’re going to be in the real world so you really think that that ‘violin’ is all you want to do and it’s going to carry you far places?” ‘Maybe,’ I thought, ‘at least out of this car.’

******
   The baseball seats were good, but I was secretly wishing we weren’t so close to the bathrooms and that the person in front of me would shrink a few inches. I didn’t voice my opinions though because dad actually seemed pretty happy and he was the one who bought the tickets anyway.
   “Dad, can we buy some food at the concession stands?” I asked him, holding my stomach because it was growling so loudly. “You know what, sure,” he said, and reached into his pocket and pulled out a 20. “Can you buy me a hotdog and a Coke? Thanks.” He jumped out of his seat and headed toward the restrooms. I got up slowly and stretched my legs. I wasn’t known for exactly staying in one spot for a prolonged amount of time. Dad should’ve known this but I guess we need to re-meet each other again. I bought what dad wanted and I bought myself some popcorn and a Cherry Coke. But when I got back to our seats, two new people sat there where my dad and I were supposed to be sat. They looked like a father and son duo.
   “Um, excuse me, those seats are taken,” I said. I know, I must’ve looked like a wimpy 13 year-old. They both ignored me. I knew I was going to have to up my game if I wanted to get their attention. I stood right in front of them, blocking their view of the field. “Get out of the way,” the boy said, moving his hand in a get-out-of-the-way gesture. “Those seats are taken,” I repeated, in my little voice. “Well, nobody was sitting here so we just assumed they were free,” the older man, or the dad, said. I sighed. I was going to need back-up. But I also didn’t want to look like a wimp if dad comes back and sees me getting bossed around by some kid. He already expected so much of me. “I’m going to have to ask you to get out of our seats… please,” I said, throwing in ‘please.’ The other kid sighed and got up. He was at least a good five inches taller than me and when he spoke his breath smelt like the casserole mom made for dinner last week, which was far from good.
   “Listen, we saw these two chairs empty. Like your brain. Nobody was sitting in them and we decided they were some pretty good seats to watch a pretty good game, so if you don’t mind, we would like to watch a baseball game we bought very expensive tickets for,” he said, getting up into my face and my personal bubble. And as if I didn’t understand his point, he also snatched my Cherry Coke and poured it over my head. “Todd! What’s going on here?” My dad yelled. The kid chuckled and threw the plastic cup on the ground. I was practically fuming. “Excuse me! Why did you throw that cup full of soda at my son?” My dad asked, about to yell at that guy, that was probably five years older than me. “Wow, you made this loser of a kid?” He asked, laughing as if he made the most hilarious joke. Then I snapped. I swung at him and punched his cheek hard. ‘OW! Did I break my hand?’ I thought. My hand hurt really badly but I wasn’t about to look like a wimp in front of this guy. He pounced on me and knocked the breath out of me. Now it was my job to avoid getting punched in the face. Little to my knowing the baseball game had already started. “You little kid! This is what you get!” The guy yelled, and punched me in the eye. I groaned and attempted to move him off me, but to no luck. ‘That’s going to leave a mark,’ I thought, about the black eye I would surely have tomorrow.
   Through my one eye I could use, I saw dad arguing with the other dad. Our fight was quickly gathering attention and it was probably only a matter of time before a security guard came and took us away. “Look!” I said, “I’m sorry!” I really didn’t need an arrest record right before I go to Juilliard. The guy was still determined. Then people started shouting. Any person that was looking at our fight was now fixated on something that was happening and it seemed really important. Suddenly, a baseball landed a few inches from my face. ‘Oh gosh,’ I thought. People leapt for the ball like their life depended on it and they even made the guy that was beating me up get off me. My dad grabbed my hand as soon as he could, and pulled me away from all the chaos. “We must have been on television, dad! What if that ruined my Juilliard chances?” I asked. Dad didn’t reply. We walked to the car in complete silence, me still in my sticky Coke shirt. When we got in the car, dad sighed. “All I was asking for was one day… One day to just spend time with my son,” he said. The atmosphere in the car was thick. “You’re going to be gone in less than 3 months, Todd.” It was true when the school-year was over I was moving to New York and living with Leland because he has an apartment there. Through all the Face-Timing though, his apartment seemed pretty nice. “It seemed like yesterday you were asking for me to tie your shoe. And now,” he paused, “You’re practically a grown-up.”
   “Dad, I’m sorry I couldn’t be the son you wanted. I’m sorry that I’m going to college next year and I’m going to leave you and mom,” I said, with a stoic expression. My dad was pretty emotional and when he started crying, you could hear it from practically a mile away. I hugged him and he laughed. “That’s my boy! You know, you were doing a good job with that kid. Before you got tackled,” he said. We separated from hugging, and I laughed. “It’s because I have the best parents in the whole world.” Dad sighed. “Those tickets were expensive, but I think we bonded more than we ever could have now,” he said. I silently agreed. “Do you like baseball?” Dad asked. I shook my head. I could handle the sport but it wasn’t anything I could watch for a prolonged amount of time. “You know what? Let’s do something you like. Anything you want.” The first thing that came to my mind was the science emporium, but I decided against it. “How about lunch at that restaurant that sells burgers,” I said. “I like your taste,” Dad said.

This is the eighth chapter.

Chapter Eight

I wasn’t going to back down from a challenge like the science emporium. It was like the science emporium was a light, a bright one at that and I was a moth. I was entranced and I needed to figure out more. After-school, I walked there with my violin strapped to one shoulder and my backpack on the other. I made sure that the blue pick-up truck was there and when I noticed it was, I walked quickly to the entrance. I pulled the door open and a breeze of cold air hit my face. Like the last few times I had been there, it took me a few seconds to get my eyes adjusted to the darkness. After a few moments, I saw the keyboard and I knew already what to do. I typed in Todd. “Please enter your name. It will be sent to Mr. Hot, and once he approves, you will be allowed forward, if he does not approve, you have five seconds to exit before this room goes into self-destruct,” the robotic female voice said.
   “There will be no need for that,” a male voice said. I spun around and walking out of the darkness, was Todd. “I see you’re back,” he said, with a disapproving look. I nod. “I wanted to just see and look around here,” I said. Todd sighed. “What don’t you understand kid? I’m not ready to open up my shop yet.” I was going to get kicked out I was sure of it. I had to come up with something. “I’ll give you 50 bucks if you let me in,” I said. I put my backpack on the ground and unzipped the zipper. I pulled out two 20’s and one 10. I held the money out to Todd. “I just want to look around. It looked like Todd was having a debate with himself. After a few seconds, he finally reached a conclusion in his debate. “You know what? You can come in. You seem like a pretty trust-worthy kid. Plus, I’ve never met anyone with such stubbornness, but don’t get mad if you see nothing you like,” he said. I had a party in my mind. “But remember, this is a one-time thing, so don’t go inviting any friends or relatives, okay?” He asked. After I said I agree, he pointed towards the door. “That’s where it starts, Todd,” he said.
                                                ******
   All sorts of colors and diagrams and stuff to buy were all over that place. It looked pretty put together, but you can still sense the need of more. Like if you knew the store just wasn’t at its true potential. That was how I felt. I had already walked around the place a bunch of times but I had to do a lot of begging to get in here, so I wasn’t going to leave just yet. I checked my phone for the time because even though my parents and I had a pretty decent relationship and they thought I was a responsible thirteen year-old, I knew there was an unspoken agreement about a time I should be home after-school. My dad, being the cooler parent didn’t really care that much about the unspoken curfew, but my mom sure did. One time before I went to a sleepover that I was invited to in third grade, I made the huge mistake of telling her my friend’s plans for the night. Once I had told her we would be staying up all night, she had almost had a heart-attack on the spot and then had made the humiliating decision to join me on my sleepover.
   The kids that had invited me were at least four years older than me, and once they saw my mom they said I ‘killed’ the mood, and needless to say, I wasn’t invited to any of their sleepovers again. But anyways, back to the present. I had suddenly come face-to-face with a steel door. It creepily had smoke coming out the bottom. I looked around the emporium (which wasn’t that big) and searched for Todd. I was going into this secret room and I didn’t want to get caught. Yes, there were risks. I could potentially run into the boogeyman and maybe a murderer, but I could also find some really cool stuff, like maybe a time machine or shrink ray. I opened the door and an alarm sounded. It was really loud and made me cover my ears with my hands. Todd rushed past me and shut the door. “What are you thinking?” Todd asked, giving me an evil stare. I stared back at him. “I wanted to see what was behind the door.” He angrily sighed. “I knew I shouldn’t have let some kid in here,” he said. Now it was my turn to angrily sigh. “What’s so horrible that’s behind there anyways?” I ask. My mind was curious. “None of your business,” he said plainly. “Look you let me into here! I mean this place isn’t so bad, and when you finally open up the place, everyone is going to love it,” I said. It was silent for a few seconds.
   “I get it. But what’s behind that door is something else. I can’t just let you see it like it’s an animal at a zoo,” Todd said, crossing his arms over his chest. Suddenly a woman came running through the doors. In one hand there was a Starbucks drink and in the other keys and an IPhone. “Todd! I’m so sorry I’m late! There was horrible traffic!” The mysterious woman yelled. Todd visibly cringed and sighed. “It’s all fine, Marge, just make sure that you aren’t late anymore.” Marge walked towards us but not before placing her items on a nearby table and tying her hair up. When her hair was out of her face though I could see she was probably a high-school student. “Who’s the little kid?” She asked, putting her hands on her hips, “another employee? I mean how could you find another person to put with your horrible paychecks?” Todd rolled his eyes and so did I. “His name is Todd, and he’s leaving now, right?” Todd asked me. “Oh and Todd, I’m sorry for putting up those signs. I thought you wanted to open this place up by now,” Marge said. “It’s fine. Though I’m pretty sure that’s how this guy found his way here.” No, I wasn’t going to leave without an answer. “What’s behind the door?” I asked, Marge. I could see her making a confused face at Todd.
   “What? You have not shown him behind the door?” Marge asked. She spoke as if I was supposed to be already been familiar with the mysterious destination. “Marge, this place isn’t even open yet! I can’t just show people stuff. Not yet,” Todd said. Marge laughed and gave Todd a look that represented knowledge. “He’s a customer. Look, I get that we’re not open yet. But Todd over here, he’s the exact definition of a customer. He took time out of his day to visit this emporium,” Marge said. I put on my best puppy dog face. “Todd, is this your first time visiting here?” Marge asked. I shook my head. Then I realized I should speak because after all this whole conversation was about me. “No, I’ve been here twice before,” I said, my voice sounding like a little kids. “See? The least we can do is give a little VIP tour! I mean what are you going to do when other people come and want a tour of behind that door? And that’s if others even show up,” Marge said. I could tell her words had a struck a chord deep inside Todd because he had a thoughtful look on his face. If I knew Marge, I would surely give her a hug. “Fine, I’ll show you,” Todd said. My face light up with excitement.

******
   No words could ever describe what was behind that door. Robots were. Okay, maybe a word could describe it. Todd had created magnificent machines that resembled humans and even spoke. What made the situation even more eerie was their faces looked almost exactly like a person’s. “They need a little more improvement,” Todd said, “Their faces are not at their full potential just yet. I was still flabbergasted at the complexity of the machines. What if a person died? Could a robot replace them and will anyone ever notice? “Okay kid. Tour’s up!” Todd said, standing up from his desk. Startled from my trance, I looked at Marge, who I was sending subliminal messages to. I wanted to stay a little bit longer. “Hey, Todd, maybe Little Todd can stay a little longer? Is that okay?” Marge asked. Todd shook his head. “We had a deal. Plus it’s already 6, and this kid probably needs to get home, right?” I nod my head. “Ay, you’re no fun, Todd,” Marge said, referring to the older one. “Watch it, or I’ll be taking twenty dollars out of your next paycheck!” Todd warned with a smile.
   “You can’t do that!” Marge retaliated. “I better get going. I think my parents are probably worried,” I said, grabbing my backpack and violin. “Well goodnight Todd,” Marge said. I said goodnight back and waved at Todd, who was too busy with something to notice my departure. I checked my watch and it said 6:15. I speed up a little bit.

This is the ninth chapter.

Chapter Nine
                                                         My parents were nowhere to be found when I got home from the emporium. I walked to my room and took off my shoes. I had no homework that night, so I was about to pop a in a Star Wars movie when mom yelled, “Todd, are you home? Well, if you are, dinner’s done! It’s your favorite, Mac and Cheese!” Okay, I admit, I can never turn down a mac and cheese offer. I ran to the kitchen and almost ran into dad. Half of dad’s body was sticking out of the fridge the other half disappeared behind the door. “Watch it, Bud,” he said, with a warning tone. I chuckled and saw mom sitting at the island, looking really intently at the screen. Whatever was on there, was really important to her I assume because when I said hi to her, she simply waved. “Honey, Todd’s home,” dad said. Mom’s head shot up and she smiled. “Plates are over there. And you know where the mac and cheese is.”

******
   I didn’t even notice the silence until after my third bowl of mac and cheese. Mom and dad were literally on the opposite side of the table from me and mom was typing rapidly on the computer. “Mom, the mac and cheese is really good,” I said, trying to break the ice. “Thank you, honey,” she said. “We have an announcement,” dad said. Mom stopped typing abruptly and soon enough both of them were smiling those creepy smiles. “Your dad and I are going on a vacation. It’s in… Australia!” Mom yelled, in an Australian accent that would probably offend every Australian everywhere. “That’s amazing. But what would I do?” I asked feeling sincerely confused. I thought they would include me in every family vacation since I am their only child, but I guess not.
   “Oh, sweetie that’s the thing. Your dad and I haven’t gotten any alone time lately. And with this little week vacation, it’ll rekindle our marriage,” mom said, holding dad’s hand. “What do you mean? I’m your only child here,” I said. I felt like I was explaining calculus to a bunch of 5 year-olds. “We know. But this is going to be good. I don’t feel like we have to explain ourselves for you, Todd,” dad said. Suddenly I didn’t feel hungry anymore. “I think I’m done eating,” I said. I wiped my mouth with my sleeve, which I can remember getting chastised about doing as a younger child.

******
   I really don’t know why I did storm out of the dining room. Maybe it was because I myself wanted to go to Australia, or maybe I just felt left out. Mom and dad had never done anything like that before. Darth Vader was just about to reveal Luke’s parentage when dad walked in. “Hey sport. How are things?” He asked with a smile. I could tell it was a fake smile. He probably rehearsed it downstairs with mom or something and maybe they had rock, paper, and scissors to see who would be the unlucky parent to confront the unhappy teen. I reached over to my night-stand and grabbed my remote. I turned the T.V. off and directed my attention at dad.
   “Listen, I’m sorry we didn’t include you in this trip, but you wouldn’t want to go anyway, trust me. I mean it’s just plain old Australia anyways,” he said. I threw him an aggravated stare that let him know that what he was saying wasn’t making things better. I guess he got the evil stare because he said, “Okay, maybe Australia is a pretty cool place. But you know, Todd. Sometimes parents just need a little ‘alone time.’” He had a point. Maybe my parents just needed a vacation. But what would I do? “How long will you guys be gone?” I asked.
   “A week,” he answered, “But you know the neighbors. I mean, we’ve lived in this neighborhood for years. They said they’ll check up on you periodically through the week. Like, of you need dinner or anything.” “Okay, you know what I think I’m fine,” I said. Dad smiled and ruffled my hair. “That’s great, Todd. And if you can prove to me and your mom that you can survive a week without parental supervision, and have the house in top shape, the privileges we will grant you will be endless.” He kissed my forehead and left my room.

FLASHBACK
   Five year-old me and mom are walking to a building.
MOM: Okay, you have your phone in case of emergencies?
ME: Yes, mom. *holds up ugly phone*
MOM: Good! And you know my phone number right?! 501-85-
GIRL: Hey, you must be coming here for the violin lessons, right?
MOM: Yes, we are. Oh dear, are they closed or something?
GIRL: No, we are open. Come this way.
   The girl leads us into the building and inside there is a few chairs with some music stands.
MOM: Okay, Todd. This is where I leave so keep your phone on vibration. If I call please pick up, I already don’t want to leave you here already.
   Mom hugs me and I suddenly feel like a little kid (even though I was five.)
   I made my way over to a violin rack and there was a lady standing there. She smelt like cheap perfume and caffeine.
LADY: Hey there little guy. Hello? Did anyone let a little kid loose in here?
ME: Excuse me, I’m here to play.
   The woman seemed genuinely surprised that I was here to be a part of the lessons.
LADY: Well, you are a cute little thing! Here. I think this is a good size.
   She handed me a ¼ size violin. I thanked her quietly and made my way over to a seat. I sat down and started unpacking when I almost fell of my chair. Someone had shoved me. I looked up and saw my worst nightmare. It was Peter from Kindergarten!
   He had signed up for violin lessons too apparently, and now I was stuck with him for the next few days until the camp ended. Everyone in the room, I could tell, was varying of size and age. I was most likely the smallest and youngest there.
PETER: What’s up blabber mouth? Never thought I would see you again. I heard you went to jail!
ME: Well, I didn’t.
PETER: You’re lucky you didn’t! That guy on stage was so embarrassed he was going to call the cops on you!
   I knew he was lying so I ignored him. The same lady that gave me my violin walked to the middle of the orchestra where conductors go.
KATE: Hey kids! My name is Kate and this is my assistant…
   I assume Kate was waiting for the other lady to introduce herself but the lady that was being waited on was too busy on her phone to notice the eyes.
KATE: *snatches phone away from girl* Now we are ready! Now Michelle, continue.
MICHELLE: Um, hey guys. My name is Michelle and I play the viola, I am here to help you when you need help but usually Ms. Kate handles everything. Now, Ms. Kate, can I have my phone back?
   Kate sends Michelle an aggravated stare. That evokes some laughter from us.
KATE: Okay, everyone! Unpack your instruments! If you haven’t received your instrument yet, go see Clara! She’s the one with the green jacket.
   Clara raised her hand in order for us to see where she is. It took all of us about fifteen minutes to get unpacked.
CLARA: Okay kids! Let’s get started! I’m so proud that you guys want to learn these instruments because this is a life-long skill that you will have with you forever, now shall we begin?

This is a short chapter but it fills you in on what Todd's next move is. This is technically chapter ten.

It happened a few days after they left.
I can’t believe this.
    No. This can’t be happening! Tell me this is a dream and I’ll feel better! Please… I can’t breathe. I refuse to accept this.
NO
NO
NO
   This is impossible. Not my parents. Not my dad, who loved calling me sport, or my mom who took me to that ice cream parlor when I was having a bad day.
No
No
No
   I got a call. First I saw it on the television then I got a call. They were devastated, my grandparents, but I couldn’t breathe.

My parents were dead.
I have to go to Todd.
I have to use robots.
They can replace my parents.