Mystical Merfolk: I | Teen Ink

Mystical Merfolk: I

December 17, 2015
By ArtLover2322 BRONZE, London, Other
More by this author
ArtLover2322 BRONZE, London, Other
3 articles 12 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
'No one can hurt you; you only let them'.


Author's note:

I hope people will enjoy this story which has a lot of secrets to be discovered and a lot of mysteries to be solved. I just hope that whoever reads this shares this story with other people and I hope you all love it :).

It was a beautiful and sunny day. Here on Ventho island lived a young 14 year old girl called Mariana.

Every week, Mariana's mother Linda gave her a job to do. Her job was to walk to the other side of Ventho Island to collect flowers for her mother to sell at her flower shop.

Mariana sang to herself as she collect the flowers. After collecting a few flowers, Mariana came across a red berry bush. She smiled and said "Wow, the berries have grown!".

Mariana though she had collected enough flowers, until she turned around. She saw the most beautiful sunflower. She smiled and said "It smells lovely!"

Mariana continued to walk through Ventho Island, and she spotted a waterfall. She was amazed at how big it was. She decided to go for a swim in the lake by the waterfall. She said to herself; I'll change my clothes; these are too pretty to be ruined.

Later, she comes out of her house with other clothes. She decides to explore The parts of Ventho Island she hasn't been to before. She spots a gigantic brown cave in the centre of the Island. She said "Wow, a cave, how amazing!". She wondered how she was going to get up the cave in one piece. She said "I can't climb that, I'll get my clothes dirty!","There has to be another way in!".

Mariana was unaware that three boys were spying on her. "Who is that?","Keep it down girl!". "Quiet Liam!" Nick said. "Do you want to get us exposed?", "Snap out of it!".

Cyrene said "Guys! You shouldn't be arguing. But instead enjoying the serenity of nature".

Liam replied sarcastically saying "Yeah, yeah yeah! We get it". He then said "We need to stop that girl from coming across the moon pool! Who knows what could happen!".

Mariana swims and is struggling to find the underwater entrance for Ventho Island. She says, "Ugh! Where's the way in!?", "Well, I guess I have to swim". Mariana is in the middle of the ocean, and feels hopeless.

Out of luck, Mariana finally finds the underwater entrance then swims up, then says "Oh no, my clothes!","Mother's going to kill me!". She decided to wait for her clothes to dry, then after that, she'd find another way to get out of the cave.

Mariana laid in the sand of the brown cavern for half an hour, and she woke up happy that her clothes had dried. She says ¨Yay, now I'll look for another way out!¨. She did, and then she stopped for a moment as the moon shun in the water. She was amazed, and at that exact moment, she fell into the bubbling water.

She gasped for breath and swam to the surface then said ¨Oh no, I have to go!¨.

She got home safe and sound, and managed to change her clothes before her mother Linda noticed anything. As she was about to go to bed, over her shoulder, her mother stood furiously saying ¨Mariana, where have you been?!

Mariana replied saying ¨Out on the island, mom¨. Linda replied saying ¨It doesn't take that long to find berries!¨, Mariana said ¨I know mom, and I'm sorry, it's just that, we never go on the other side of the island, and I needed to know what was there¨. Linda replied saying ¨Oh, I see. Well, just don't do anything like this again. Go to bed, you have an early start tommorow¨.

Mariana wished her mother a goodnight, and went to sleep.

The author's comments:

This chapter is quite short by the way.

Meanwhile, in the moon pool, three mermen rise up to the surface; Nick, Cyrene, and Liam.

Liam scans the cave then says ¨Nick...¨. Nick said, ¨Yes?¨. Liam said, ¨Someone's been here!¨. Nick said, ¨How do you know?¨. Liam noticed that the water in the pool wasn't bubbling, this was unusual as every night the moon pool bubbles.

Cyrene noticed that the moonlight was still shining on the water, which means the water should've been bubbling. This could only mean one thing... Someone has absorbed the powers of the moon pool.

The mermen swam away in shock of what could've happened.
 

On a very sunny morning, the merman swam speedily into the moon pool, and rose up to the surface. Cyrene looked at Liam and Nick worriedly saying, ¨You do know what this means right?¨. Liam said, ¨Someone has been in the moon pool, and they've been affected by the magic!¨.

Nick stops and thinks of the girl who saw a few days back. This girl had blonde hair, blue eyes, and a slim build. Then it came to him. Nick said to his friends, ¨That girl! It must've been her!¨.

Liam faced Cyrene and said, ¨Thanks a lot!¨. Confused, Cyrene said ¨How is this my fault? You guys were the one bickering¨.

Nick raised his voice and said, ¨It's not about whos to blame! Don't you see? It's about that girl she's been affected by the magic!¨. Cyrene interrupted saying, ¨Which means...¨. Liam then said nervously, ¨Don't say it! There's no need to jump to conclusions...¨.

Nick said, ¨Jumping to conclusions? Liam. I didn't see anybody else wondering around Ventho. Only that girl! Nobody else was mysteriously walking around this island, but her!!!¨. Liam said, ¨Alright, alright, you've had your say, now let me have mine¨.

Cyrene looks at Liam, irritated.

Liam said, ¨This Island has been popular for many many years. So I have no doubt that it could've been somebody else¨. Cyrene said, ¨Are you done now?¨. Liam replied saying, ¨Yeah.¨

Cyrene and Liam both turned away from each other.

Nick said, ¨Guys, what are we going to do...¨. Liam said, ¨If it's a girl, we embrace it, but if it's a boy, then we banish him like there's no tommorow¨. Cyrene said, ¨Liam, this is serious, we don't have time for jokes¨. Liam replied saying ¨Relax blondie...¨.

Nick stared into space interpretting what Liam said, then he asked ¨Hold up, embrace it?¨. Liam said, ¨Yeah, it would be cool having a MERMAID around¨. Nick replied angrily saying ¨No it wouldn't, not everyone in the world would be okay with having a tail, especially if you've been walking for you entire life!¨.

Liam replied wittlingly saying, ¨Monkey's would!¨. Cyrene rubbed his forehead in distress, then said ¨Liam, this is serious, it's really happening¨. Liam said, ¨Repetition!¨. Cyrene said ¨Well it is true!¨.

Nick said, ¨Cyrene has a point you know, you need to take this seriously, it's your fault too!¨ Nick swam off and his tail fin caused water to fly onto Liam's face. Cyrene shook his head, and followed Nick. Liam said, ¨Hey, I thought we weren't blaming anyone!¨.
 

The author's comments:

(Another short chapter)

Mariana sings to herself in the bathtub whilst wearing her pink curlers. She gets up, ties her towel round her torso, and washes her hands. Then her legs start to feel numb, and she falls down saying ¨Ahhhh!¨.

She passes out, then wakes up soon after. Her vision is blurred, then soon goes back to normal.Confused, she says to herself, ¨Why am I on the floor?¨. She scans her surroundings noticing that all of her curlers have fallen out. Annoyed she says sarcastically, ¨Oh great, my hair!¨.

She feels different but is unsure why, then she looks down to her legs to notice that she has an orange tail. She is speechless. After a minute of silence and solitude, she says "So it was true!"

The trio of mermen hang around at Ventho's moon pool. Cyrene strokes his blonde hair, and says, "Guys, how do you think that girl found this island?". Nick is deep is thought, then he says "In all honesty, I have NO idea...". Liam is also deep in thought; he says "Guys, have we ever been to the other side of the island? The right side?".

Cyrene and Nick both say simultaneously, "No, why?". Liam has a plan, he says "Follow me". Liam and the mermen trio swim to the other side of the island speedily.

Once they arrive, Liam dries and asks Nick and Cyrene to wait in the water while he finds some clothes for them. He looks around the island and spots a old brown shed, and he finds some clothes and scans the island to make sure no one saw him, then he laid them both on the sand.

Liam says to his friends "Don't take too long", then he waits for his friends. To Liam's luck, his friends were done, and he asked them to follow him. Liam stopped and he saw a small cottage in the centre of the island. This house had a yellow roof, white walls, and a brown wooden door. It also had white picket fences.

Nick is amazed, and says "Woah, a house?". Curiously, Cyrene said "I wonder who lives here!". Sarcastically, Liam said "I think I have an idea...". Liam went forward and knocked on the door.

A woman called Linda opened the door, and said "Hello, can I help you?". Nick said "Hi, we would like to know if anyone lives with you". Linda responded saying "May I ask why?". Cyrene said, "We're just curious".

Linda lifted an eyebrow and said "I live here with my daughter Mariana". Liam says, "Oh could we speak with her?". Linda responded saying, "Sure!". Linda called her daughter Mariana. She looked at the boys and said, "One second", then went back inside.

A girl with blonde hair came out saying, "Hi... who are you guys". Nick said, "Could we speak with you?". Mariana replied saying "Sure...". Insensitively, Liam said, "We know your secret". Cyrene looked at Liam in an irritable manner, then said "Liam!".

Mariana said hesistantly, "Wha... What secret?". Nick said, "We know you're a mermaid". Mariana was shocked as she was unsure of how they knew her secret. Nick said, "And before you say anything, we'd like you to know something". Nick paused, then said "We're mermen".

Mariana looked at the trio, and said, "Really?". Nick replied saying, "Yeah". Mariana was puzzled, and said, "How?". Nick sighed, and said, "Well, there's a lot you need to know. This is no ordinary island, it's magical". Mariana was amazed, and said "Wow! Well that explains things, because I was starting to think I was going mad when I realised I had a tail".

Nick said "I see. Well, if anyone goes into the moon pool on a full moon, they get powers". Mariana said, "Wow, so that's what happened to me!". Nick replied saying, "Yes".

Nick continued, and said to Mariana, "You have to be aware". Confusedly, Mariana said, "Aware of what?". Nick replied saying, "Don't touch water when around other people". Cyrene interrupted saying, "Because when you do...". Liam also interrupted saying, "You grow your tail".

Mariana said, "Oh, right". Nick warned Mariana in saying, "Be very careful, you don't want to risk being exposed". Nick smiled, looked to his friends, and said, "There is more to being part of the merfolk". Liam said, "It's not a bad thing, it will change your life, but for the better".

Mariana was very thankful for what the mermen did for her. They helped her, and that meant a lot to her. Mariana said "Thanks guys, will we meet again?". Nick said, "Yes, we will be here". Mariana went on her way, and wished the mermen goodbye.

Mariana was in a new world, but she had no fear. She dived into the water, and swam home with her new tail for the very first time.

It's a sunny morning, and the three mermen are hanging out in the moon pool of Ventho Island. Liam and Nick are quiet today, so Cyrene decides to say happily, "Isn't this fun?". Liam responds moodily saying, "Not really...". Cyrene says humorously saying, "Cheer up grumpy". Liam pulls an irritable face at Cyrene, and they hear a splash. Cyrene says, "Where's Nick?". Liam shrugs, then says, "I don't know...".

Meanwhile, on Ventho Island, Nick is walking around the beautiful garden of Ventho where there are many berry bushes, flowers, and lakes, and lovely palm trees. Nick stops, and spots an unusual tree by a lake.

To Nick's surprise, Cyrene and Liam are standing beside him with their arms crossed. Liam raises an eyebrow, then walks to Nick and says, "Hey Nick, what's up?". Nick doesn't seem like his usual self. He says, "Look at this!". Liam and Cyrene are confused to what Nick is looking at.

Nick says, "The tree, it's a different colour to the others...". Cyrene says, "That's odd, I thought all the trees would be the same". Nick says, "We need to find out more about this island". Liam confused, says, "Why?". Nick replies saying, "We're from here, so we need to know more". Liam nods, agreeing to what Nick said.

Cyrene suggests, "Why not ask Mariana to ask her mom?". Nick in doubt, and still gazing at the tree says, "And why would she do that?". Cyrene says "Because her mum is a historian and she could tell her about the History of Ventho?".

Liam says, "Oh wait, Mariana is that girls name...". Nick says "Cyrene you ask Mariana later". Cyrene agrees. Nick says, "Liam and I will continue to explore". Cyrene replies saying, "Okay, got it". Liam and Nick walk off in a different direction as Cyrene.

On the other side of the island, Cyrene approaches Mariana's house, and knocks on the door. Mariana opens the door, smiles, and says "Hi". Cyrene replies saying "Hey, err, could we talk?". Mariana says, "Sure". They go to the back of the house into the garden.

Cyrene starts the conversation saying, "So, Mariana". She says, "Yes?". Cyrene says, "You're mom is a historian right?". Mariana replies saying, "Yeah, she is, why?". Cyrene says, "I was wondering if you mom has an books on Ventho?". Mariana says, "I'll ask her". Cyrene thanks Mariana, then leaves her house through the back door.

Meanwhile in her living room, Mariana says "Mum, do you have any books on this island?". Linda smiles saying, "Yes I do Mariana, I'm glad you've finally taken an interest on Ventho".

The author's comments:

This isn't the end of the story. I will continue this story in new books. Stay tuned people! :P

Mariana and Cyrene at her back garden reading a book on Ventho. Mariana asks Cyrene, "When was this published?". Cyrene says, "December 12th, 2017". Mariana replies saying "Oh, okay". Mariana smiles and says, "This book is so interesting". Cyrene agrees, and says "This book answers all my question about Ventho". Mariana gives Cyrene a smile.

Cyrene looks at his watch then says, "Well, I better get going". Mariana says, "Okay". Cyrene says, "I want to show this book to the guys". Mariana says, "Okay, bye Cyrene". Cyrene waves Mariana goodbye.

In Nick's house, the trio are reading the book on Ventho; titled The History of Ventho. Nick says, "Wow, top notch book, I mean, it's just so interesting!". Liam says, "Hmm, not bad I guess". Nick says, "You haven't even read a word from this book Liam". Liam says, "That's cause I was kidding...". Liam says, "Well it's getting late guys, I better be off". Cyrene says, "Me too, see you tommorow Nick".

Nick says to Cyrene and Liam, "Ok bye guys, I'll just read more of this, it's gold!". Nick walks off into his bedroom with half a bitten apple and the book in this hands. Nick blinks rapidly whilst looking at the book then says, "What? This can't be... Explosion? Magical Changes? What is this... Hmm. Something's not right here...".

Meanwhile in Mariana's house, her mom gives her a book called; Ventho, The Weary Island. Mariana's mom Linda says, "I've never read it myself, but I've heard it's good. I hope you enjoy it!".

Mariana said, "Thanks mum!". Linda leaves the room, and Mariana says to herself "Now I have another book for Cyrene". Mariana texts Cyrene saying "I found another book, come and get it".

Mariana watches TV then heard a splash coming from outside. She went outside and saw Cyrene approaching her. She had the book in her hand and said, "Here's a book on Ventho". Cyrene thanked her.

Nick and Liam arrived. Cyrene said, "Hi Liam, this is Mariana, Mariana, this is Liam, he is also a merman. We're a threesome". Mariana said, "Cool". Mariana said, "Well see you guys later, then?" Cyrene said, "Yeah, bye".

Cyrene said, "Well we can look more into this book later". Nick said, "Okay". Liam said, "Guys, do you know there's another way into the volcano?". Nick said, "Really? I didn't know that".

The mermen arrived at the other entrance for Ventho's cavern. It appears to be rocks which needs to be climbed in order to get into the cavern. Nick takes one look at the cavern and says, "No way am I climbing that, I'm not used to being on land!". Cyrene says, "Yeah, me too!". Liam raises an eyebrow and says bravely, "Fine, then I will".

Liam climbs the cavern and reaches the top, then makes his way into the cavern whilst sliding on some sand on his way in. He giggles to himself.

Later that day, Nick swam rapidly to the moon pool as if he´d something shocking. Nick rose to the surface with great force, and said to Liam and Cyrene, ¨Guys, come on, you´ve got to see this!¨. Cyrene and Liam look at each other confusedly.

At Nick´s house, Liam is amazed, and he says, ¨Wow...¨. Cyrene says, ¨I wasn´t expecting that!¨. Unsure, Liam said, ¨So five years ago this island exploded?¨. Cyrene said ¨How come Ventho doesn´t look harmed then?¨. Deep in thought, Nick says, ¨Look here¨.

Nick directs Liam and  Cyrene to another page of the book, and he says, ¨It says that magic changed the island forever...¨. Liam and Cyrene were amazed. Liam said, ¨I think I like this book now¨. He smiled. Then he said, ¨Although, there is A LOT of pages.

Nick said, ¨It will take some time to find out everything we need to know about Ventho. We can´t miss one bit of it, or we won´t understand it¨. Liam looked at the book cover, then said, ¨The History of Mako. How interesting!¨. He smiled to himself.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.