A thing for school | Teen Ink

A thing for school

December 16, 2015
By MimeticPuppet, Hutchinson, Kansas
More by this author
MimeticPuppet, Hutchinson, Kansas
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Hundreds of years ago a zombie apocalypse broke out. Many had died, but the few survivors had banded together. One woman had sacrificed herself to save them all. From her sacrifice, the others were able to flee underground. Without her, they would’ve all perished.
However, as time went on, humans were forced to evolve, to adapt or face extinction. So they did. The humans have been living in peace since.

No matter how many times I hear it, I can’t believe it. It’s too heroic to be true. They say it because they don’t want to think, to believe that humans are selfish. Many times I’ve had dreams of her. The one who saved us all. In the dream, she was sad. Her last words were her suicide note, I could never remember what they were, but I knew that’s WHAT they were. She knew they were doomed. So she ended it before she could see for herself.
She lost hope.


The young female let out a sigh as she set her pencil down. She was nervous. The others had found a way to the surface. However she was excited. She had offered to go to the surface for the others. Samantha stood up. Determination surging through her body. A new hope began to build up inside of her. Soon she would go to the surface. Things might be different. They might have a chance of survival after all. To go back to the way things once were.
Samantha smiled, the thought of seeing the sky brought joy to her very being. Her father, however, was not pleased with the thought of her going up there by herself. He was terrified of losing the last thing he had. Samantha was the only thing he had left to live for. With her being the last descendant of The Savior, the others thought she should go up first.

Her father watched as she got up. His mind raced with fear of what might come. Would the zombies kill her? Were there even still zombies? Did they all die out over time? Could they die? He shut his eyes and took a deep breath. No, he shouldn’t let those kinds of thoughts cloud his mind. He should be proud of his child. She was chosen for a very important deal. He should be proud… very proud…
Samantha looked at her father.
“It’ll be ok dad”
“I know dear… I know... “
She walked over to him and wiped a tear that threatened to fall from his eye.
  “Dad... “
  “I just can’t stand the thought of losing you Samantha…”
  “Dad, I’ll be close by. I was told to stay near the opening and not stray too far. As much as I want to explore the overworld, I’m not going to let you worry. I’ll be close by and come when it gets dark or if it gets too dangerous,” she gave him a reassuring smile.
He smiled back “Alright, I’ll trust you.”
She quickly gave him a tight hug, in which he returned. After what seemed like hours, she let go.
  “I should get going. The others are probably getting restless with wondering what news I’ll bring back.” ‘If I come back…’ she thought to herself.
Not wanting her dad to sense her worry, she quickly left the room. Leaving her father watching after her with worry.

Once she got there she saw the leaders, her grandparents, waiting. Her grandmother came striding towards her, her husband waddling after her.
  “My dear dearest granddaughter! You arrived! About time. We were wondering when you’d come!” she gleefully exclaimed, husband nodding in agreement.
  “Sorry grandmother, grandfather, I had to reassure my dad that it’ll be ok.”
  Her grandmother let out a tsk tsk tsk “That father of yours worries too much, what after your mother’s death and all. He should learn to relax for once, isn’t that right dear,” her husband nodded in agreement.
  “Now! you are well aware why you were chosen, correct?”
  Samantha opened her mouth to reply, but her grandmother interrupted her.
“Yes! Yes! That’s right! You will be famous down here! Perfect leader material! Everyone down here will know your name!” her grandmother laughed out.
Samantha held back a massive smile. Her Grandmother didn’t seem to realise everyone knew everyone's name down here, but she kept her mouth shut, not wanting to ruin her Grandmother’s fun.
  “You will be as famous as The Savior! Ha hahaha! Yes! Yes! Now, dear,” her husband looked at her, “Please show our little Sammy the entrance, I have work I must attend to sadly,” she let out a disappointed sigh, kissing her husband's cheek once he nodded.

Samantha’s grandfather walked her down a strange path. The silence made her a bit nervous. Just a little small talk would even help to ease her nerves! Her grandfather waddled on. Eyes fixed on the path ahead. The silence was really bothering her.
Soon her grandfather looks at her.
  “You do know the reason I chose you, right?”
  “No… not really... “
  “You are the newest female descendant of The Savior. As you are well aware of, each female descendant of hers becomes the next leader. Thus, you being next in line to become our leader. Yet, I sense something different about you than anyone else. You have this aura about you that I don’t quite understand.”

Her grandfather was confusing her. It wasn’t very often he talked this much. Let alone talk at all. Yet he had this strange way of talking.  It sounded so strange. So mystified. Almost as if he could see the future. His voice snapped her out of her thoughts.
“To be honest with you, the opening was calling for you.”
“What.”
“It was calling for you.”
“Yeah… I don’t understand what you mean.”
“Your destiny lies beyond the underground.”
“What do you mean “my destiny”?”
He sighed.
“Come on, I have every right to know!”
“You’ll find out later. Youngins, always wanting to know everything,” he shook his head and waddled on.
“H-hey! What’s th-that suppose to mean!”

The two continued to walk in silence. This time it didn’t bother her. His words echoed in her mind. Your destiny lies beyond the underground. What destiny? She didn’t bother pressing the question further in fear of annoying him more. It still annoyed her though. For all she knew her “destiny” lies in the underground. She was just suppose to check out the surface. No more, no less.
‘Alright, it might end up being more than just that. If it seems safe then we might end up moving back up.”
All of a sudden her grandfather stopped, causing her to bump into him with an oof.
“We’re here young one.”
“W-we are?”
He let out a chuckle “Do not fret young one, I can sense you will be fine.”
“... Are you sure?”
“Of course my dear, just have hope. Don’t lose it like you did last time.”
She turned to face him “What do you mean last ti-” he was gone.
‘What does he mean by “last time”?’
She looked up at the opening. Nervousness gripped her sides, making her feel sick. With one long breath, she exited the underground.

Samantha held back a cry as her hands shot over her eyes. The pain from the light being far too unbarable. How could anyone live like this!? Surely the humans couldn’t! Why was it so bright!? Why did the light hurt so much!?

Hours pass and she finally adjusted to the light. She looked up and noticed a bright orb in the sky.
  ‘That must be the sky.’ she thought to herself.
The thought brought her pride. Now she didn’t regret reading those old book about the surface.
  ‘Those white things up there must be clouds. The brown and green things must be trees…’
She rambled on and on about stuff in her mind as she continued to walk. It wasn’t until she heard voices was she released from her daze.

  ‘Who could  that be? Surely there aren’t humans up here…’
Curiosity soon got the better of her as she headed towards the voices. She froze in shock when she saw a group of human lizard looking people talking. They had skin like humans, but there was either green and/or gray scale markings on them. Their teeth were razor sharp as well. Suddenly she got chills up her spine. To scared to move, she kneeled there, frozen.

  “BOO!” a voice boomed from behind her.
Startled, she jumped up and let out a startled noise. Quickly, she turned around to see who the attacker was. Only to find one of the, what she assumed to be, “zombies” holding his side laughing like he just heard the funniest joke in the world.

  “Oh boy! You jumped like 20 feet in the air!” He could barely breath.
  She stared in both shock and fear.
  “Ha Ha! Name’s Damien, what’s yours?”
“S-Samantha…”
“Heh, sorry about earlier S-Samantha. You were just the perfect target and I couldn’t let an opportunity like that slip out of my grasp, ya know?” he gave her a playful wink.
His teasing made her pout “It’s just Samantha. No stuttering involved,” she blushed with embarrassment and looked away.
He blushed in return “Aw, come on girly, I was just pullin’ your leg,” he chuckled
She looked nervous again “D-do you know what I am?...”
“No, I just figured you were some new sub-species of us that the scientists created,” he replied, confused. “Should I?”
“U-uh, no! No! You uh, don’t…”
“Ooookay then… say, to make it up to ya, how about I show ya around,” he winked once again.

She stayed silent for a moment. It would be a good opportunity to see the area. Plus, he didn’t seem dangerous. Maybe he wasn’t a zombie? Hell, she didn’t even know what they looked like.
  “So just Samantha, is it a deal?” she shot him a glare. “Oh, come on, I’m just teasin’ ya.”
  “I suppose I’ll take you up on your offer… “
  “Sweet! It’s a date then!” he grinned with a slight blush.
  “I just need to be back by nightfall… W-wait, what!?” she felt like her face turned 50 shades of red, “S-since when did you say this was a da-” before she could finish, he grabbed her arm and began to “drag” her around everywhere. It really wasn’t dragging, more so him leading her, but she could be dramatic sometimes.

It was a bit awkward being around all these “zombies”. What would happen if they realize she was human? Would they kill her? Do they even remember what humans are?
  Damien waved his clawed hand in front of her “Hellooooo, anyone there?”
  Samantha flinched back “S-sorry... “
  “You sure do space out a lot, huh,” he grinned, playfully shoving her.
  “And you’re awfully friendly to someone you just met,” she playfully shoved him back.
  He shrugged in reply “Momma always tells me it’s better to have friends than enemies.”
  “She sounds like a smart one.”
  “Oh, she’s pretty smart. In fact, she’s even a scientist! Kinda strange she didn’t tell me they were making a new species though. Guess she wasn’t a part of it?...”
Samantha could feel sweat running down her face. How would he react if he finds out? The thought frightened her. Would he go berserk? Would humans have no future on the surface? Would he kill her and the humans would just live forever underground? Damien gave her a worried look.
  “Are you alright? You look a little nervous.”
  “Y-yeah, i-it’s just my first time being out here,” at least she wasn’t lying, just simply not telling the whole truth.
  “Ah, that always seems to be the case with new species. Sometimes they adapt and other times they don’t,” he nods, understanding. “Come on, I know a good place to eat!” he grinned.
She opened her mouth to say something, but her stomach beat her to the punch line. Samantha closed her mouth and looked away, embarrassed. Damien simply laughed it off with a shrug and took her hand, a light blush dusting his cheeks. Though, lucky for him, she didn’t notice

Damien led her to a little fast food like place. Samantha raised an eyebrow. She wasn’t sure if this really was a good place to eat. Ah well, it was better than nothing. As they entered she noticed all the weird looking foods. She wondered what they came from. The female looked out the window and saw some feathery creature.
   ‘Birds!’
She noticed another creature creeping up on them. It almost looked like what her books. Only, it was green with purples stripes down its side with long pointed ears and a long tail. What was that thing?

  “What do ya want?”
  “Huh?”
  “Any particular thing you want?”
  “Oh, uh, I’m fine with anything.”
he nodded and went to order. After awhile he came back with some strange looking burger thing. It didn’t taste that bad, to Samantha’s surprise.

Hours had passed, filled with conversation. Damien had walked her back to the forest where they first met.

  “I can get back from here, thanks.”
  “Alright… Do you uh… think we can hang out again soon?”
  “Yeah… yeah, I’d like that.”
  “Tomorrow maybe?”
  “Sure.”
 
He grinned and happily ran off, excited for the coming day. Samantha smiled and head towards the tunnel.

‘Maybe it won’t be so bad up here.’
 



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.