Death's Youngest Son | Teen Ink

Death's Youngest Son

By thewitch, King George, Virginia
thewitch, King George, Virginia

"All generalities are false, including this one." - Mark Twain

“Mama, Mama!”
Galianna peeled open her eyes to find her son staring into hers, “Oh Vonerai, go back to sleep!”
“But I want to go back outside!”
“You know it’s too dangerous to go outside right now! The war shouldn’t last too much longer, just play with one of your toys.”
“But I played with all my toys!” the boy complained, “can you tell me a story Mama?”
“Will you let me go to sleep?”
The little boy nodded.
“Very well then,” the mother rubbed her eyes and sat up in bed, “come on, crawl up.”
When the boy was comfortable, Galianna cleared her voice, “Once upon of time, in a world not so far away, Death found himself in need of help. As the world grew, the amount of children born boomed, and so did the amount of deaths that needed attention. Death’s sole fear was not being able to reach a sole in time, trapping the sole in a wandering state. It was because of this fear, that went Death to his good friend, Life.”
“Life and Death are people?”
“No, just listen and you’ll understand.”
“Okay.”
“Life not only brought forth the heartbeat of every living thing, but created two twin daughters, Fauna and Flora, to help her create new species. And so, Death begged Life to create sons to help him gather the souls of the dead.
Life agreed and promised his sons by morning, if he gave in return a goblet filled to the rim with his blood. Death did as she asked and left her to her work.
As Life considered how many sons to create, she looked to her own daughters for inspiration. They were both created from her own blood and gold and since their creation, they have created numerous species on their own. Life could see that she had created an unfair advantage, and so created for Death seven sons to restore balance.”
“So that’s where babies come from?”
The mother smiled, “yes. Now let me tell my story!”
“Sorry.”
“Though for Death’s sons, Life choose silver instead of gold, which would allow the sons to hide in plain sight when needed.
When morning came, Death met his seven sons with pure joy and decided to allow them to roam the earth for a day before they began their work. The oldest lead the first six, but left the youngest behind. For you see, there wasn’t enough blood in the goblet to complete the seventh son. He was missing a leg.
Death saw this and pitied his son. He fashioned for him a leg from the oldest living tree and promised Flora she could plant two in it’s place.
And then the youngest son set off alone and looked out and about in the world in complete curiosity. The oldest brother, the wisest of the sons, already knew to shield himself from humans, but the youngest didn’t know, nor did he care. He thought of humans as strange creatures any way. So instead, he stayed deep in the woods and watched the creatures play.
At one point, the youngest son saw a rabbit especially soft and wished for nothing more than to touch it. What Death forgot to tell his youngest son from believing the others would tell him, was how his powers worked. The youngest son dropped down to the earth, for he was using flight to travel, and he noticed that with each step he took, the vibrantly green grass turned brown.”
“He was killing the grass?!”
“Vonerai.”
“Oops, sorry.”
“He continued his trail towards the rabbit and reached down to pet it. The moment he did, the youngest son felt as the soul escaped and left the body where it lay. The youngest son didn’t understand what he had done and began to cry. It was then he heard a twig snap behind him.
When he turned around, he found a little girl watching him. He tried to disappear, but the girl continued to gaze up at him through the disguise. He didn’t understand, nor did he wish to stay. He flew away and only paused long enough to watch the little girl gingerly pick up the rabbit and look up at him.
All seven sons returned to their father and told him about the wonders they had seen. When questioned, the youngest son knew he couldn’t hide his secret for long, and so told Death about what he had done with the rabbit. Though disappointed, Death forgave his son and told him to be careful to only touch those whose times had come. Death had all of his sons promise this.
Years swept by and Death’s youngest son, along with his brothers, aided their father greatly and even allowed each other time to do they pleased. The sons were not human, and so did not need to eat or sleep. The older sons spent their time playing games, but because of the youngest son’s leg, he was often pushed away.
So instead, the youngest son roamed the earth and watched how the humans lived. He was always careful to stay invisible and to stay away from the little girl. She was now older, for the humans aged differently than himself and his brothers. Her parents were now much older and one was ill.
He had tried to watch over the mother to see for when he would need to return, but everytime he tried, she was there, staring at him. He couldn’t understand it, somehow she could see him even when he was invisible. He was too afraid to tell Death, and so kept it a secret.
The day he saw the mother was to die, the youngest son flew late that night to take her. He arrived a bit too early and decided to wait by her bedside. When he entered the room, the youngest son saw the girl laying in the bed beside her mother. He silently crept to the side of the bed, for he didn’t need worry about leaving prints on the flooring. The mother still had some time left.
“No!”
The youngest son froze and looked up at the girl who was now wide awake.
She looked at him with eyes filled with tears, “please no.”
At first he didn’t know what she meant, but even when he figured it out, he still didn’t understand why, “it’s almost her time.”
“No…” it was then that the girl started to cry.
He had learned many feelings and how to identify them on humans, but he had never felt them himself. He knew what he was feeling, but he still couldn’t understand. Perhaps the guilt would fade, if only she would understand.
“I must take her, but you’ll see her again.”
The girl shook her head.
“Yes, yes you will. You just can’t yet. You must wait for your turn.”
The girl looked down at her mother and then closed her eyes and asked, “I see you take the dead away and I never see them again, only you. Can you take me instead?”
The youngest son looked at the girl and felt his heart break. He still didn’t understand why the humans feared him so much, but he couldn’t stand and watch her suffer. He took the sheets on top of her and used them to wipe away her tears. She looked looked up at him and smiled.
“How about we make a deal? I can’t take you because it’s not your turn, but because you can see me, why don’t I come back and tell you about how happy she is where she belongs?”
“Do you promise?”
It was then he felt a new emotion that made him want to look into the happiness in her eyes forever, “I promise.”
He dropped the sheets and was nearly about to take the mother when the girl stopped him again and asked, “What is your name?”
“I don’t understand.”
“What are you called by?”
The youngest son wasn’t sure what to say. Death called him son and his brothers called him brother. He had no other name.
The girl seemed to understand, “What if I called you Amicus?”
The youngest son nodded and touched the mother’s hand. He felt as her soul slipped free and watched as a small spark escaped her lips. The girl’s eyes bulged from curiosity when Amicus captured this spark and held it in a pouch by his side.
“You will be back soon, right?”
“Yes.”
“Thank you Amicus.”
He smiled at her again and flew away.
Amicus kept his promise and returned to her one year later. He found that he enjoyed talking to her and began to visit regularly. He noticed that she was changing and how many of the men in her village were also noticing. This was when Amicus first felt fear. He knew the habits of man and though he didn’t know why, he didn’t want the same fate for the girl. What he didn’t know, was how he was beginning to feel envy.
One day, the girl, now a woman, was picking berries in the woods when she heard someone behind her. When she called out for a name, one of the men from her village stepped out to her view and answered back.
“What are you doing here? It’s not safe to be alone.”
She knew why he was there and told him to leave her alone. The man persisted to stay with her and then tried to reach out for her when she refused him again. Amicus had been watching.
Before she could scream for help, Amicus stood between them and grabbed the man by his throat. This time as the life left the body, Amicus could feel the soul beginning to burn and this time when the spark escaped the corpse’s lips, Amicus crushed it with his hand.
Amicus let go of the body and let it hit the ground.
Amicus turned back around to find her terrified with tear stained cheeks. Amicus nearly wiped away her tears, but stopped himself just before touching her.
“I’m sorry you saw that…” he began to say, but she stopped him.
“No, I was scared about what he was going to do. Thank you Amicus, but…” Her tears interrupted her.
“What’s wrong?” He touched her where her sleeve covered her.
“They’ll think I’m a witch now,” she said, “The towns people...they’ll think I’m a witch and will try to kill me. Please, just take me with you now.”
Amicus shook his head, “No. I already know I’ll need to answer for what I’ve done, if  I were to steal two lives then it would only make matters worse. Hide in the woods tonight, I’ll be back tomorrow.”
The girl agreed and Amicus flew away. He flew directly to the one person he thought could help him, Death. When Amicus confessed the secrets he had been hiding, Death was furious at first, but then felt sorrowful for the torment his son unwittingly went through.
Death told Amicus that he could have her for a wife if he was able to finish three tasks. Amicus joyously agreed and asked for the first task. He was told to build a castle with a thousand rooms, “for if she does become your wife, she would never again be able to step outside of your home for she will no longer belong in the land of the living.”
Death also told him that he only had one night to complete this task.
Amicus no longer knew what to do. He knew he couldn’t complete the task in time and he began to panic over the possible fate of the woman he loved. It was then he came up with an idea. He flew to the home of Life and found Flora in the garden.
“Flora, I need your help!”
“I don’t see  how I can help a son of death.”
“Please Flora, I know you can manipulate rocks as well as plants. I need you to create a castle with a thousand rooms by sunrise tomorrow. If you do this, I will do anything you ask of me.”
Flora thought of his proposal then said, “One of my favorite flowers, the rose, is meant to go extinct tomorrow. If you overlook the flower and let it live, then I promise your castle by sunrise.”
Amicus agreed and flew to the flower bush to protect it. Each time one of his brothers came to touch the bush, Amicus sent them away claiming that he was waiting for the right time to touch it himself. Eventually, the eldest brother came.
“Brother, what are you doing only sitting there?” he asked, “If you don’t touch the bush soon, then it’s kind will live on longer than it should.”
“I know brother, I’m only waiting for the right time.”
“It’s time is now,” the eldest went to touch the bush, but Amicus stopped him, “If you do not want me to touch the bush, then tell me why and this time the truth.”
Amicus sighed, “I see you really are the wisest of us. I’m protecting the bush as a deal with Flora.”
“I don’t think Father would approve of this…”
“I beg you not to tell him!”
The eldest brother smiled, “I will promise not to tell, as long as you promise me a favor when I ask.”
Amicus promised and his eldest brother flew away.
When sunrise came, Amicus took Death to see the castle Flora had made.
Death was pleased with the work and took the youngest son the second challenge, “On winter nights, your wife will be cold inside these stone walls. Fill one of the rooms with a skin from every animal. Finish this by sunrise tomorrow and I will tell you the third task.”
Amicus agreed and Death flew away.
Amicus then flew back to the home of Life and found Fauna in the front yard feeding the birds.
“Fauna, I need your help! I need a skin from every animal to be kept in one room of my castle by sunrise tomorrow. If you do this, I will whatever you ask of me!”
“I could send the eldest of each animal to your castle where you can skin them, but in return, I want you to keep the eyes of each one and bring them back to me.”
Amicus promised and flew back down to the castle.
He began to skin the animals as they approached the castle and he placed their eyes in an old urn. Just when Amicus finished, and was about to fly the urn to Fauna, his eldest brother flew down in front of him.
“Hello brother, pray tell, what’s in the urn?”
“Oh...nothing, Fauna told me she wanted it.”
“Fauna wanted an old and cracked urn?”
“Well, I wasn’t going to question  her when I get a favor in return.”
“Now that you’ve mentioned it, why don’t I use my favor to look in the urn?”
“Why would you waste your favor by looking into an empty urn?” Amicus asked with a shy smile.
“An empty urn you’re having trouble carrying?”
“It’s only an odd shape. It was nice seeing you brother,” It was then that Amicus flew away and left his eldest brother on the earth, smiling.
When Amicus gave the urn to Fauna, she smiled and matched the pairs of eyes together, then placed a drop of her own blood on each pair. As she did so, each pair of eyes transformed into the animal that once held them, but instead of being near death, they were reverted back to their prime.
Amicus then flew back to the castle to meet with Death. Death was more than pleased with his son’s work and in return, Amicus was anxious to hear of the third trial.
With this, Death’s smile faded as he looked at his son’s excitement.
“The third trial will be the most difficult to complete,” Death said to his son, “In order for you to marry her, she must be willing to sacrifice everything to prove she loves you as much as you love her. She must be willing to die for you.”
“I don’t understand.”
“Son, the only way you may marry her is if she dies for you first.”
Amicus was heartbroken, but nodded in reply. Death vanished, leaving Amicus to look upon his castle unsure of what to do. It was then he decided it wasn’t his choice. It wasn’t his life. He flew to the woods where he left her and found her sitting by a river.
“Where have you been?! You said you would be back tomorrow, I was worried!”
Even with the circumstances, seeing her smiling face and knowing how much she worried for a being who could not be killed, he laughed. But when she saw how quickly his smile faded, she knew something was wrong.
“What happened Amicus?”
When he didn’t answer her, she gave him a shy smile, “Is it my time?”
He nearly wept as he answered, “No, I’m afraid it’s a little more complicated than that.”
Amicus then told her about every deal he made and every task he completed, and then why he did so. When he was finished, he felt too ashamed to look at her and stared down at his feet.
Instead of leaving like he thought she would, she walked up to him and with gloves on her hands, to hold his.
“If we’re going to marry, then I would ask to see a priest first,” was all she said.
And so they walked with each other to the closest church and met a blind priest who agreed to marry them at sunset. Until then, the priest sent the bride to a nearby seamstress for a wedding dress as a present from the church. When Amicus was left alone in the holy building, he began to wonder how she was going to kill herself.
He didn’t want to see her suffer, even if he was there to stop it. After some thought, he decided to give her poisoned wine. This way, it would feel more like falling asleep.
When the time came for the wedding, Amicus felt a tear in his eye when he saw her in her new white dress. The ceremony did not take long and when it was over, the priest left them alone.
Amicus picked up a goblet and poured in the poisoned wine. He told her what it was and told her it would bring her no pain when she drank.
She looked up at him and smiled, but instead of taking the drink, she set down the goblet and held his hands again with her new crisp, white gloves. Amicus looked at her in disappointment, “I thought you wanted to marry me.”
“I do,” she smiled at him again, and then kissed him.
The moment their lips touched, Amicus felt a scorching fear that he had killed her and would lose her forever, but when she pulled away, still full of life, he stood confused.
“Congratulations.”
The couple turned to find an old man leaning heavily on a cane.
“Oh...thank you,” she said with a shy smile, “I didn’t see you in the pews earlier. Are you here to pray?”
The old man smiled, “No, I’m here to see my new daughter.”
Amicus looked at the old man in surprise, “Father? Why did you come in disguise?”
“Wait, if you are his father, then that would make you…”
Death smiled, “Death, yes. But I’m afraid even though you are no longer living, even in your condition, you still can not see me in my true form.”
“What do you mean by my condition?” She asked worried.
“Nothing of concern. Now you will live as long as you love my son and will not age a single day. The only complication, you will no longer be able to hold on to anything that connects you to the living world. This would include your name.”
It was then Amicus gave his wife a new name, Somniatis.
Amicus flew his wife to their castle and showed her every room. Only minutes before sunrise, there came a knock at the door. Amicus left Somniatis to wander the halls and opened the door to find his eldest waiting for him with a smile.
“Oh, hello brother,” Amicus said with a shy smile, “I guess I should introduce you to…”
“Don’t worry brother, I already know. I’ve known for a couple days. I’m here to tell you something.”
“Is something wrong?”
“Not at all. I just need that favor you promise me.”
Amicus studied his brother and felt a shiver run up his spine, “What do you need brother?”
“Father has decided to rest for a short period of time, leaving myself in charge since I am the oldest. And, as I’m sure you know, every soul we take, we grow stronger. I have a plan that can only be completed while Father is asleep.”
“Which would be?”
“I created a special illness that will take the humans by surprise. I just need you to turn a blind eye for a while.”
“The time of death is not up to us! Do you really think I will stand by while you murder thousands!?”
“You will if you wish to keep your wife.”
Amicus grabbed his brother by the shirt and pushed him against the outside stone wall, “Are you threatening my wife?”
“Of course not,” the brother said raising his hands, “but wouldn’t it be a shame if Death found out about how you used the twins to cheat.”
Amicus stared at his brother in a mix of shock and anger, “why are you doing this?”
His brother pushed him away and answered in anger, “aren’t you tired of running around like a headless chicken? The only way we’re going to get any kind of freedom is if we become stronger than Death himself!”
“He is our father! He was kind enough to allow me a wife and would be kind enough to grant you freedom if asked.”
“But do you really think he would turn a blind eye to your marriage if he were to find out the truth? Ignore the illness and allow me to collect soles. Then you won’t need to worry about losing her.”
The eldest brother flew away before Amicus could reply.
Amicus was lost. He loved his wife and couldn’t stand to lose her. He loved his father and did not wish to deny him. What was he to do now? It was obvious he couldn’t trust the rest of his brother’s for the eldest would not have made the mistake to not make some sort of deal with them as well.
Filled with despair, Amicus went back inside and found Somniatis sitting by a window. When she saw him, she ran to him and hugged him close. As he held her and watched the sunrise, he decided to listen to his brother, to ignore his plans and to protect his wife.
After two years, Amicus began to notice how Somniatis would grow depressed whenever he had to leave. One day when he asked her, she only said how she hated to be alone.
“I wish we could have a child,” Somniatis told him once.
Eventually Amicus decided he wanted one as well and so flew to the home of Life once again. When he found Fauna, he asked, “If you help me one last time, I will do anything you ask.”
“I guess that would depend on what you ask of me.”
“As long as you don’t tell your mother, I now have a wife and we wish to have a child. Will you help me?”
Fauna’s eyes widened in surprise, “But the only way you could have a wife is if Death preserved her...you are right, mother would not be happy with you. But you don’t need to worry, she is sleeping just as Death is.”
“So, will you help me?”
“But I ask in return to beware of how Death and Life will react when they find out.”
Fauna closed her eyes and raised her palms towards the sky. Suddenly her body shook and her eyes flashed open in horror.
“What’s wrong, are you alright?” Amicus asked.
“Your wife,” Fauna said, “She’s already pregnant.”
Amicus stood confused, “But I thought Life could only be created here, by either you, your sister, or Life herself.”
“I don’t understand either, but I’m sorry, we must wake Life.”
“But my wife…”
“May be in danger as far as we know.”
Amicus felt his chest tighten as he nodded his head and followed Fauna into the house of Life. Life lay guarded by eagles and the thorns of Flora’s roses. Fauna walked to her mother’s bedside and gently touched Life’s shoulder. Her eyes sleepily opened and she smiled up at her daughter’s face.
“Fauna, pray tell me, has it been a hundred years already?”
“I’m afraid not Mother, I have much to tell you.”
“Actually, they’re my faults to confess,” Life sat up in her bed and eyed Amicus suspiciously, “And why is one of Death’s sons standing at the foot of my bed?”
With head lowered in shame, Amicus confessed everything he had done to marry his love and protect her after. When he finished, Life nodded and asked sternly, “And you claim to have done this out of the love for a human?”
“Yes Ma’am.”
Life watched him for a moment, then said, “take me to her. I would like to meet her.”
And so Amicus regretfully flew Life to his castle where she turned herself into the form of a young woman and took her to Somniatis.
Somniatis was sitting by the window with a tear in her eye when she heard them come in. She swiped away the tear so that Amicus wouldn’t see and ran to where he was.
When Life saw her, her gaze softened.
“I remember you,” Life said, “You were the only one of your mother’s children who lived.”
“Well, yes.” Somniatis said in confusion, “how do you know this? How do you know me?”
“Somniatis, I would like you to meet Life.” Somniatis looked at Amicus in shock and amazement. To Life she asked with a hand on her stomach, “are you here to help me?”
“Actually dear, I’m here for another reason.”
“Can I not have one?!”
Life rushed forward and took Somniatis’ face in her hands, “No my dear, I’m here because you are already pregnant. My only worriment is of who supplied the life for it was not I nor my daughters.”
Somniatis thought for a moment, “then what of Death? He saved my life so that I could be with my husband. Perhaps he’s responsible?”
“Death has been asleep,” Amicus said.
“Wait, Death has been asleep?!” Life asked, turning to Amicus.
Amicus was taken by surprise, “Y-yes.”
Life grew angry and formed her hands into fist, “No wonder your eldest brother tricked you to turn a blind eye! We need to wake Death, now!”
“I don’t understand, what’s going on?!” Somniatis asked worried.
“I will explain the moment I return,” Amicus told her, “But now I need to fix a problem I created.”
He kissed her, then flew away with Life.
Amicus showed life the way to Death’s room where he was being guarded by a dragon. The dragon quickly fled from Life as she approached Death’s bedside. She touched his shoulder once, and he woke and stood from his bead.
“Life? Why have you waken me?”
“Look to your son,” was all she said.
Once again Amicus lowered his head in shame and confessed. Death was furious.
“Do you realize what your eldest brother has been trying to do?!”
“He claimed he wanted to grow stronger, for freedom.”
“Yes he wants to grow stronger, but he wishes to do so to become strong enough to destroy me!”
Amicus looked at up at his father in shock and confusion, “I don’t understand, how can my brothers and I hurt you?”
“You and your brothers were born from my blood and so have the possibility of becoming as strong as I am. If one of your brothers were to do so, they could have the power to kill me.” 
“How will we stop him?!” Amicus asked.
Death waved his hand, “His illness will die off by the end of the year. Human’s will strive once again and he will no longer be able to take them.”
Amicus relief lasted for only a short time when he remembered, “the deal I made with him...he could be after Somniatis as we speak!”
Life and Death looked at each other and nodded in agreement.
Death then turned to his son and said, “We will worry about him.”
With this, Life and Death flew away with Amicus not far behind.
Amicus was right. His eldest brother had snuck into the castle and was creeping to the bedside where Somniatis lay asleep when Death and Life flew in. Before Somniatis could wake, Death had his eldest son by the throat while Life ordered the earth outside the castle to open itself to it’s core. Death then threw his son into the crack and Life cealed the crack behind him.
Amicus then landed between the two, but before he could speak, Death held up his hand and said, “Your wife is safe and sleeping inside. You are no longer in trouble.”
“But I cheated on my trials…”

“And I forgive you,” Death said with a smile, “Now go to your wife and tell her everything. I promise she will forgive you, but you must not keep secrets from her ever again.”
Amicus agreed and thanked his father then went to see his wife.
When he left, Life turned to Death and crossed her arms, “Why do I feel as if you already know about her pregnancy?”
Death smiled, “Well I guess now is better than never to tell you. I took pity on my son for missing a leg, and so I replaced it with the oldest tree.”
Life stared at him in anger and shock, “How dare you?! You used the tree of life to replace his leg?”
“While considering what to use to replace his leg, I wondered what it would be like to have a son who valued life. A son who could learn why living things cherish their lives. It was only by chance he met his wife.”
“But you did nothing to stop it?”
Death raised his hands in defense, “I made sure she would not have contact with earth’s soil ever again. Also, when I first saw her, I saw how she was meant to die.”
“And how’s that?”
“While giving birth. Then, her child was not to live. My son saved her from what would’ve been her fate and in turn, you now have two more lives.”
Life scowled at him, but then only sighed, “very well Death. But is this right? Giving one being the ability to both and give life?”
Death gave her a shy smile, “At this point, we can only sit and wait.” “
“Is that it?!” Vonerai asked.
“Yes, and now I hope you plan to go back to bed.”
Vonerai knew too well not to question his mother’s angry gaze, so instead he asked, “Mama, are you sure the war will end soon? We have been on this planet for a while and the natives are still fighting us.”
“I’m sure we’ll be fine dear.”
The boy thought some more, “Do you think the natives killed Daddy?”
With this the mother was silent, but eventually managed a shy smile, “Do you know why I told you this story?”
“Because you made it so that I would go to bed?”
The mother smiled, “No. Your father is a great soldier who is not only defending our colony, but blessed me with you before he left.”
“So the castle is the spaceship? We can never leave?”
Galianna hugged her son close, “hush, we will be able to leave soon. One day we will win this war and we will be able to inhabit the rest of the planet. Then we will all live happily ever after.”
“But what happened to our own planet?”
The mother wasn’t too sure of what to say, “I guess...it happened while Life was sleeping. Flora died off after a great explosion and Fauna died of the heartbreak of losing her sister. The earth couldn’t survive without them, so humans were forced to leave.”
Vonerai yawned, “I guess that makes since. Okay, I’ll go back to bed.”
After he left, Galianna sat up in her bed a bit longer. She could still remember the sight of the earth when the mushroom clouds took over. Hundreds of ships fled and all to different possible homes. The truth was, she hadn’t heard from her husband in a long time. Her lip quivered slightly as she began to wonder why.