Lonolith | Teen Ink

Lonolith

May 29, 2015
By Zander Woosley, Portland, Oregon
More by this author
Zander Woosley, Portland, Oregon
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

I am a huge fan of anime and animals with human spirits are not uncommon in anime. One night I had a dream where I was being chased by an owl person and I was a wolf, protecting a giant. When I woke up I felt inspired and started writing. 

As the tales of old tell us; in the beginning, the world was rich and beautiful but contained no sentient life. The gods believed that Lonolith, our home planet, no longer made them happy. That’s when they threw intelligent life upon Lonolith. The species were diverse, from flying monkeys, to water bears. But the gods most favored creations, were the four sentient tribes.

First there was the Human tribe. They were curious, but an unusually kind species. You could never truly predict what one would do next. Second there was the Lupus Tribe. This tribe was made of sentient wolves. They loved to hunt, and made for great warriors, but they most valued their art and culture. Third there were the Strigiformes. These were a species of sentient owls. Unlike owls on other planets, these owls range up to five feet tall. The Strigiformes were a very strict tribe, but their knowledge was great. Finally there was the Gigatribe. This was tribe of giants. The giants were a very neutral tribe. They built great monuments and coliseums.

The gods saw that their creations were good, so they gave the three non-human tribes the ability to morph into humans so the four tribes could communicate. For three hundred long years  the peace went undisturbed. But one day A giant named Koliki, grew angry at one of the humans, and killed him. The humans grew fearful of the giants and spread tales to their young about how the giants were evil, and would eat children for sport. The humans eventually developed powerful weapons, and hunted  the giants, forcing them into hiding.

Tomoke (tow - mo’ - kay) smelled the flowers. He was a strong wolf. When he was in human form he had short scraggly brown hair and piercing blue eyes. He often came to this little paradise in the middle of hell. Tomoke lived in the grand City of Terrace 9. It was not at all what it sounded like by the name. It was a very large city, the largest to be exact, but it was a sad city. The streets were cracked and old; you could almost see time tearing them apart. The whole city was yellow  from pollution and drugs. The city and the rest of the sectors were under the command of Emperor Yutaka. He controlled the city with an iron fist. The Emperor's advisor, Takeru took care of his dirty work, like hunting the giants. If any wolf, owl, or human was found harboring a giant, they were to be executed along with the giant.

The flowers were on a small hill outside of the city. No citizens were allowed outside of the city unless they went by train to another city. Tomoke Came here to get away from all the chaos when he had time. Getting past the human guards were easy. They usually just talked and let him walk right past them. For the gods first creation the humans were unusually dull witted. Sometimes the richer ones would throw away food just because they wanted to eat something else. The wolf tribe found wasting food a disrespect to the animals.

As Tomoke sniffed through the flowers, he found what he was looking for.  The Crystal Hibiscus was a delicate flower that only bloomed during hot sunny days. When they bloomed they grew a crystal gleam on their petals, but when the sun went away they closed their petals into a simple green ball. Today he would pick one and bring it to Maemi. In the wolf tribe a male wolf of the age 18 would pick one of these flowers for his betrothed. Once the flower was picked, it stayed in the position it was picked  forever. The bride would wear the flower around her neck as a symbol that she was married. Maemi was a beautiful young woman only one year younger than Tomoke. She had dark, black, silky hair, with eyes so green you could see them in pitch darkness. She was perfect in every way… but he did not love her. She was everything a wolf could want in a woman; she was smart, beautiful, and came from a wealthy family. But the marriage was arranged.

Men with power had the ability to choose who they wanted their children to marry, and her father simply saw how strong and handsome Tomoke was. But Tomoke didn’t even know anything about her. Suddenly something rushed past him. Tomoke quickly transformed into a wolf. His wolf form was all black and had his same eyes.
“Who goes there!” he shouted. No response. He sniffed the air and smiled, turning back into a human.
“Come on out you two.” After a few seconds two wolves seemingly appeared out of nowhere. They each turned into humans. The shorter white wolf’s name was Kekko. He had long blonde hair and dark green eyes. He was like a kid brother to Tomoke, only 12 years old. The Taller grey wolf’s name was Tsuyoshi, or Tosh for short. He was very tall and strong. His short black hair and radiant brown eyes gave him a very distinct personality. Tosh had just recently turned 17. “You two took long enough to get here, I was planning on being gone and halfway to the hunting grounds by now,” Tomoke exclaimed.
“It’s not like you weren't busy yourself, you just can't wait to become like a son to that rich old man,” Tosh said gesturing to the flower.
“Leave him alone!” Kekko started, “you know he doesn't want this! Come on Tomoke, let’s just get to Doragon’s forest before it gets too dark.”
“What you afraid of a little darkness, kid?” Tosh teased.
“I’m not afraid!” Kekko retorted. Tomoke interrupted their feud.
“Knock it off you two let's get moving.” The pack morphed into wolves and began their trek.

The scenery was beautiful as it rushed past. The rolling hills were aligned just at the right angle with the setting sun. Its golden light seemed to pour its rays into the land. In the distance you could see the Red sands desert. Its thick red sands made it look like a giant ocean of blood. Not many things grew or lived in the desert, but some say on the night of a lunar eclipse you can hear the hyena worms screeching their terrible laughs in the distance. The sound is said to  be so haunting, it can change a person forever. 

As the wolves approached the forest it was already starting to get dark. Tosh looked back in the direction of the city. He was worried what might happen if they came home too late. His father was a drunk and a cruel man, but he would never let anyone else know that. As far as his friends knew he didn't have a father. The glowing stars shined down with a particular fondness towards the forest, almost as if they were watching to see what happened next. The three snuck around the forest for about an hour looking for game before they finally found something.

They hid in the bushes as they stalked their prey, the wild skeleton deer. The animal got its name for its unusually skinny body, and exoskeleton head. It was also very tall. This made it easy for quick escapes and reaching high up food. Though little was the meat on the animal, its meat was considered a rare delectable treat to the wolves.
“Alright Tosh, I’ll sneak up on it from the left, and you stay hidden on the right for once it tries to escape. Kekko, you stay here,” said Tomoke.
“But I want to go!” exclaimed Kekko.
“Not today. You’re too young and inexperienced,” Tomoke stated. Kekko mumbled something inaudible in response. Tomoke laughed to himself. He knew Kekko would be a good hunter when he was older, but he was too headstrong.

Tomoke and Tosh got into position. Tomoke started to count down in his head for the attack. Three… Two… One… Now! Right at that second a blood curdling scream, no roar, louder than a screaming banshee ripped through the forest. The skeleton deer immediately ran off out of reach.
“DAMN!” vented Tomoke as he landed where his prey had been moments ago.“What the hell was that?”
“I dont know... but I don’t like it. Let’s go home!” Kekko said with a quiver in his voice. Tomoke just sat and glanced over at Tosh.
“Hey Tosh, you thinking what I’m thinking?” Tomoke smirked as he said this. “You’re darn right I am!” The two sprinted in the direction of the scream. Kekko reluctantly followed. He wanted to impress the other two.
“This is a bad idea you guys…”

The pack ran  for about five miles without any luck.
“Come on guys let’s just go back home!” whined Kekko. Tomoke started considering this when Tosh said,
“what the-?” Tomoke’s eyes looked in the direction he was looking. His eyes caught what Tosh was seeing. Woah what is that! Tomoke thought to himself. There was a great big rusty red circle at the center of an open gorge. The pack made their way down to the spot. Once the pack got closer, they realized what it was, a giant pool of blood, with a girl floating in the middle of it. The air reeked of the smell.
“Ew gross!” said Kekko “Do you think that’s all her blood?” He asked with fear in his voice. Tomoke waded through the blood and over to the body and flipped it over. He felt bad for her, but was more curious as to where all this blood came from. Tomoke jumped when she opened her eyes weakly.
“Hey, this girl’s still alive! What is your name? where are you from?” Tomoke asked, anxious for answers.
“I...a…” Is all the girl could muster. Tomoke leaned in.
“What did you say?” The girl opened her mouth,
“Giga…” is all she said.

Tomoke stood still with a stony expression across his face.
“Wha-what did she say?” Kekko squeaked. Tomoke didn't even turn.
“Giga. She said Giga. She’s a giant.” Tosh grunted.
“Well what are you waiting for? Drop that thing and let’s get back home before the soldiers arrive!” Tomoke didn’t say anything for a long time. He hadn’t been paying attention before, but she was actually quite pretty. Her blonde hair flowed around her ears like streams of water. He couldn’t tell what color her eyes were because of the darkness, but she looked about his age.
“We- we can't,” Tomoke finally said. “what?!” Tosh asked accusingly. “We're not going back home. Not without her.”
“Look I get it loverboy she’s pretty, but you know the consequences of protecting a giant. We could be killed!”

Kekko shivered.
“Come on guys let’s just go!” Tosh put a finger on his chest
“I swear to god if you say “come on guys” one more time I will explode. Seriously it's annoying as hell!” Kekko kicked him in the shin.
“You little-” Tosh started chasing Kekko. Tomoke shouted,
“Will you two knock it off!” Tosh looked up. He had Kekko in a headlock, but he let go. He tussled the kid’s hair.
“Hey sorry man, we were just messing around.”
“If you haven't noticed, we're not exactly in a position to play around right now. We need to get this girl home. We’ll keep her until she’s better. We’ll think of what to do with her later.” Tosh just nodded, but added before moving.
“Fine but I ain't covering your butt when you get caught.” Tomoke smiled. Tosh never would change.
“Alright then. Let’s get going.” The pack started heading back to the city.

Takeru found his perch on a branch near the sight. As an owl, and the emperor’s advisor, it was his job to find and terminate all giants. Takeru was a rather quiet man. He spent his days serving under the king and doing his will. Takeru did not dislike the emperor, but he cared about one thing only. Killing giants. If this wasn't in the job description, he would have been long gone by now, maybe back to one of the smaller owl settlements. The settlements were lands away from terrace 9. They relied on each other for trade, kind of forming a chain linked circle around the city. His family lived in a settlement to the east, but he dared not go back. All they remembered him as was the sweet innocent child who left for the city to work in the palace. He returned his attention to the issue at hand.

      Takeru had been hunting an abnormally fast and skilled giant with a squad of 30 heavily armored and qualified men. To capture the giants they chase them by horseback, and trapped them in a special titanium rope. One man grabs an end of the rope, and the other man the opposite end. When they have a giant in position, and the rope gets taught, they dropped an anchor on each side. The giant trips and falls to the earth. This giant however tore through three ropes and killed six men. It escaped, but he didn't let her get away without leaving her with more scars than you could count. He spotted one of his scouts down by the edge of the blood pool. He was waving him over.

      Takeru swooped down to the spot he was waved over to. He landed swiftly. His wings folded into himself as he morphed into human state.
“What is it scout? Where’s the giga?”
“Sir, the girl is gone, but she had help. There are footprints leading back to the city wolves. They seemed to be dragging her.” Takeru pondered this.
“Scout, make sure this area is quarantined. I’ll head back to the city and tell the emperor.”
“Very good, sir.” Takeru morphed back into an owl and flew off.

The emperor was a gross man. He horked up his food like a wild beast as 20 servants stood around him watching. His regard for the people was almost none. The door on the right of the emperor’s hall creeped open has Takeru walked in.

“Ah Takeru! I hope you have good news for me!” Takeru hesitated before speaking.
“Actually- no sir, I don't.” A grim look spread across Yutaka’s face.
“What is it?”
“We have reason to believe a group of fugitive wolf boys are in the city.”
“And?”
“And...they have a giga girl with them.” The emperor spat out his food in a spit of rage hitting one of the servant girls in the face.
“Then what are you doing here? Go, search everyone in the city!”
“Sir the city’s population is well over-”
“I said go!” Takeru clenched his teeth and marched out of the room. He walked over to a guard outside the door.
“You there, I want every guard on patrol, we are looking for a giga girl and three wolf boys.” The guard just stood there seeming confused. “move!” the officer ran down the hallway after that.


      *******


“look she's waking up!” Kekko said excitingly. Tomoke and Tosh sat up looking towards the bench where the giga girl was lying.
“where... where am I” Even her voice is beautiful Tomoke thought to himself.
“you’re at an Inn in Terrace nine. We found you in the forest. what’s your name?”
“H-hiriko. My name is Hiriko.”
Tomoke smiled.
“Nice to meet you Hiriko. Listen I know you've been through a lot but we can't stay here long or we’ll be found out.” Tomoke handed Hiriko a brown cloak. “Here this will conceal you from the guards. Were going to go into the market and grab some supplies before we leave the city to find refuge.”
“Thank you. You’re so kind to me.” Tomoke blushed.
“Hey don’t worry about it. It’s nothing.”
“Nothing my ass...” Tosh grunted. Tomoke jabbed him in the stomach.
“Ow!” Hiriko giggled at this.

As Tomoke and the others wandered into the market they stopped by a fountain.
“Look guys I’m just going to go down a little ways and get some food. Tosh, Kekko, keep Hiriko safe.” They nodded in confirmation. Tomoke walked up to a kart. “A pound of red Red Soni Nuts please.” The man at the kart seemed annoyed.
“Yah, yah coming right up.” Someone grabbed Tomoke by the shoulder. He swung around to find himself staring into the eyes of an imperial soldier.
“Excuse me boy but I do believe I saw you with a Giga girl.”
Tomoke chuckled, “Me? Oh you must be joking officer. Isnt that illegal?”
“I think you know very well it’s illegal.”
“My bad. Must have slipped my mind.” Tomoke smiled as realistically as possible.
“You see we've been looking for a female Giga and her three male companions for a few days now.”
“Don't worry officer, we’ll find her!” as Tomoke said this he hopped on a curb and put his hand on his forehead comically, as if looking for the Hiriko. The officer looked past Tomoke’s shoulder to see Kekko and Tosh with the girl by the fountain.
“I’m going to have to ask you to come with me, son.”
“Nani? Sorry I don't speak English.” The officer got red and reached for Tomoke’s arm, but he ducked and bit him on the side. The officer screeched,
“You dog!”
“Sorry chap, I’m a wolf, not a dog. There's a huge difference.”
“Don’t you have anything better to do than harboring fugitives, boy?”
“Such accusations, I'm hurt!” Tomoke teased the officer as he riled on the ground.
“We should go. More officers will be coming soon.” Tosh whispered into his ear, suddenly right beside him. Tosh was right as the officer had begun blowing his emergency whistle.
“Help! The Giga is here!” More officers started flooding the streets.
“Sorry chap, looks like I gotsta book.”
“Let’s go!” Tosh said, growing impatient as more officers closed in. The officer now up on his feet swung at him but missed and fell back on the ground. Tomoke and the others were already making fast tracks by the time more officers arrived.
“Where are we going!?” Hiriko asked worriedly.
“We’re headed to the city gate.” Tomoke responded while running. As they neared the gate they suddenly found themselves in an open circle.
“Stop!” Tomoke whispered.
“What is it?”
“I have a bad feeling about this...” Just then they were swarmed with guards closing in from every side of the circle. Takeru swooped down and landed in the chain of soldiers, completely closing off any hopes of escape. Takeru chuckled.
“Well then, time to die.” Kekkos eyes grew large. All the soldiers raised their guns into the air and pointed them at the pack. As Takeru was about to give the order Hiriko suddenly went berserk and turned into her giant form. In her rage she knocked out Tomoke. Before he blacked out he could see... rain.

Tomoke woke up  by a fire Kekko and the others seemed to be pleased he was alright.
“Where are we? What happened?”
“It was amazing Hiroko got all giant  and took out all the soldiers then carried us to this mountain!” Kekko said a little too eagerly.
“Saved us, she knocked out Tomoke, she could've killed him!” Tosh said angrily.
“I was just trying to help!” She retorted.
“It’s okay. We are grateful, aren't we Tosh?” Tosh just grunted. “What we need to know is where to go next. Any Ideas?” Hiriko jumped up,
“we could always go back to my home!”
“great! Where is that exactly?”
“thats just it its... in the sky.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.