The Lost Children | Teen Ink

The Lost Children

By PeterPan0429, Tucson, Arizona
PeterPan0429, Tucson, Arizona

Stars can't shine without darkness

Author's note:

I just started writing this book this year. My inspiration is Peter Pan, Neverland, etc. because he is like my favorite. And when people read it I just hope that they enjoy it and that it makes them want to keep on reading/reading more.

The year is 2412. People are becoming desperate. Our planet's natural resources are limited and what is left is being fought over by various countries in World War 17. Information and technology concerning how to vacate our overexerted planet is also causing much conflict. People are becoming desperate. The population has dwindled down to a mere four billion. And as the human race continues to wither, mother nature thrives. Spreading throughout the world, nature is reclaiming the land it had lost eons ago. Forests have tripled in size and cities which once stood tall are crumbling. People are becoming desperate, and desperate times call for desperate measures.
In an effort to ensure victory, countries have started performing human experiments in an effort to construct the “perfect soldier”. The result: elementers and superhumans.
Superhumans, the first batch of “perfect soldiers” have physical enhancements to make them faster, stronger, and sharper (enhances the five senses).
The second batch of morphed humans are called elementers. They are humans that have acquired the ability to control one of the four major elements: Earth, Fire, Wind, and Water.
Both specie of human were extremely complicated to create and only one country, the United States of America, was able to successfully forge such beings. However, that doesn’t mean that there was a high success rate. Many experiments failed and in total only 1,000 of these soldiers came out as a success. 700 superhumans and 300 elementers. 0.0001% of the Earth’s population.
However, there is no such thing as “perfect” and there were three terrible prices to pay for playing with nature.
1)  Many of the experiments resulted in failure and many of the test subjects died. Those who did survive were left with marks on their bodies or faces. This is a result of so much power being forced into their bodies. The power overflows and takes on various shapes and forms which mark the body.
2) The bodies that make it out of the experiments and testing alive will go through puberty but then freeze. The bodies of the modified humans stop growing. Time no longer affects them and they stop aging. This is also a result of a large amount of power being forced into their bodies. The body unable to cope with the foreign substance freezes. However, that does not make them immune to injury.
3) In order for the experiment to even have a chance of success, scientists have to use bodies that are still developing. This is because their bodies are changing and growing and adapting so some are able to adapt to foreign substances forced into their bodies. The experiments are usually performed on youths before they go through puberty so that they can grow accustomed to the power. Once their body is acquainted to the changes (after puberty) their clocks stop and they remain frozen in time.
Due to these side effects the “power” is referred to as the Peter Pan Syndrome and those affected by it are called the Lost Children. Boys and girls that are powerful, never grow up, and detest adults.

In Tongass Forest, Alaska there is a special military lab which specializes in creating “perfect” soldiers and a base which specializes in capturing those who have escaped. Presently, at the military laboratory scientists are working on an experiment code named 0429 B with the objective of creating the ultimate superlative human.
In Tongass Forest, Alaska there is also a force opposing the government's movements. Composed of Lost Children and abandoned children they are an elite association of youths known as the Phantoms. They hinder and set back government plans whether it be rescuing Lost Children from their clutches or ransacking their camps. They have set up societies hidden from governments and work quickly and efficiently. And they do anything to get the adults out of the way.

Admiral Corrigan
TONGASS FOREST, ALASKA
XXXXX UNDISCLOSED U.S. MILITARY BASE
31 April 2412
9:45

Thud Thud Thud
Inhaling slowly I filled my lungs to the brink with oxygen before releasing it all quickly while simultaneously opening my eyes to the dimmed lighting that filled the room. My surroundings were simple yet expensive. It was a large office room with two of the walls being built of bulletproof glass which usually overlooked the deep, endless, vibrant Tongass Forest. However, more often than not, a pair of dark purple silk curtains were drawn draining the room of light and warmth. The furniture consisted of a single black desk and a black leather recliner which I was currently leaning back in.
Thud Thud Thud Thud
I ran my fingers through my hair pulling it back before reluctantly giving the stranger permission to come in.
“Enter” I commanded.
I listened to the sound of the door creaking open, the sound of boots against the carpet, the sound of the door closing, and then the standard greeting
“Admiral Corrigan Sir”.
I rotated in my chair so that instead of facing the curtains, I was now looking at the lieutenant that stood before me who had his hand at his forehead in a salute.
“At ease lieutenant.”
He brought his hands together behind his back and went from his feet being together to shoulder-width apart.
“What news do you have for me lieutenant?”
“It’s about the laboratory located on Coronation Island, about a days drive away. We have received news that it was bombed. The bomber is currently still unknown.”
I sat up immediately, “How long ago did this happen?”
“Approximately one day ago.”
I raised my eyebrows. “And is there a reason I’m just now hearing about this lieutenant?”
“Because from what we can gather there were no survivors. We do not check up with the lab because we were busy preparing the transportation of 0429 B. When the truck went to pick it up the lab had been destroyed and all personnel dead. They just reported that the the laboratory had been destroyed by explosives.”
“What about 0429 B?” I asked darkly.
He hesitated, “We believe that 0429 B is still alive, but it’s whereabouts are currently unknown.”
Immediately I stood up and made my way to the door. “Prepare half of the squads for departure. They will be camping out in the woods until 0429 B is recovered.” I opened the door before freezing where I stood. “We must find it. Failure is not-an-option.” Without turning back I left.

The Phantoms: Damien Devlin
Tongass Forest, Alaska
Woods by U.S. Military Camp
29 April 2412
21:00

I skimmed my surroundings to ensure that everyone was in place. Hunter was up in the tree tops prepared to give us the signal while Aaron, Parker, and I were evenly circled around the camp on either side of him concealing ourselves behind trees, bushes, and the dark of the night. All of us keeping our eyes focused on the militaries camping grounds about 50 yards away.
The plan was simple. Hunter would keep watch from above and wait for an opening. Once he saw one he was to make a series of bird calls before taking off, invading the camp, and injuring as many soldiers as he could with his enhancements. During this time the rest of us would close in on the camp and fight off any remaining soldiers. Then we would take their supplies and head back off to camp. Simple.

A series of bird calls broke the silence and a few seconds later a large breeze raced through the trees. It was time. After Hunter had taken off the rest of us started to run, closing in on the military camp. I bolted through the forest, but as I approached the camp I heard nothing but silence. Its done.
Entering the camp it looked as if a small tornado had blown through. Surrounding trees were dressed in cups and shirts and boots. Nearly all of the tents had been knocked over and supplies along with personal belongings and soldiers laid askew and splattered in blood. Some of these bloody bodies were screaming and crying out in pain, but most had passed out.

In the center of this mayhem stood Hunter. He was wiping his hands on his pants in an attempt to get the blood off them, but the effort was futile since he was caked in it. He might as well have been trying to dry his hands with a soaked towel.
“That’s not going to work you idiot.” Snickered Aaron as he stepped into the clearing.
Hunter paused what he was doing at the sound of his brothers voice before looking down at his clothes. He raised his eyebrows with realization. “Oh.” Then he looked up at him and grinned mischievously, “Well I suppose not.”
Aaron’s smile quickly faded, “Hunter don’t you…”
Before he could finish there was a slight breeze and before we knew it Hunter was standing next to Aaron, and with clean hands. Aaron on the other hand had two red streaks going down the front of his shirt. He scowled, “dare.” They both just stood their for a minute. Hunter smiling, clearly feeling quite pleased with himself while Hunter just continued to scowl at his brother. 15 seconds later and Hunter was laying on his back ten meters away while Aaron was laughing hysterically. The laughing only grew louder as Parker joined us.
Pretending he was holding a microphone, he brought his fist up to his mouth, “Good evening ladies and gentlemen…” he looked. “Scratch that, good evening children. Parker here and today we are about to watch the spectacular rematch between the Reid brothers for like the millionth time! Who will the champion be this time?! Superhuman Hunter or Airbender Aaron!?”
“Oh its on.”Hunter said standing up. He charged his brother zig zagging his way through all of the gusts of wind and balls of air that Aaron was throwing at him. Fifteen seconds later Hunter had Aaron in a headlock and was giving him a noogie. “You're too cruel Aaron.” He teased. “Aren’t I allowed to have clean hands? I do all of the dirty work after all.”
“Then why don’t you let us have a little piece of the action if you hate getting dirty. You're always keeping all the fun to yourself!” Yelled Aaron breaking free of Hunter’s grasp.
“Aww are you upset because even though I’m just a mere superhuman you still can’t beat me.” Hunter mocked with a frown.
“Don’t you dare start mocking me!” Aaron threatened.
“Round one goes to Hunter, will there be around two? Boys and girls things are getting very heated up between these two brothers! What will happen next!?” Continued Parker.
I sighed, “Phantoms knock it off already! Hurry up and start gathering suppli-”
BOOM!!!!!!!
The sky glowed orange and yellow transforming night into day. Soon after the ground began shaking followed by a wave of hot air from the explosion. Quickly I formed a bubble of water around myself for protection. The shaking and waves of heat went on for about thirteen seconds before it finally died down.
“Count off!” I yelled.
Parker appeared from behind a wall of rock “Three.”
“Two.” Hunter said.
“Four.” Mumbled Aaron.
“One.” I sighed in relief. I turned my head as to survey my surroundings. With an exception to the spots where I had formed my bubble, Aaron had blasted his own gust of wind (to cancel out the blast of heat) to protect himself and his brother, and where Parker had bended a wall of rock to hide behind, the rest of the camp had been blown away and what remained was burning. There was also a large mushroom cloud of smoke in the not so far off distance.
“What the heck?” Questioned Hunter.
“Well a bomb just went off-” Started Parker.
“Well thank you captain obvious” Hunter interrupted. “So what now? Damien?”
“We’re moving out-”
“What?!” Aaron shouted. “A huge bomb goes off and you want to go home? Are you serious?”
I turned to look at Aaron, “We’re moving out to go investigate the bomb sight. Do you have a problem with that Aaron?”
“Ugh. Sorry.”
Parker snickered only to get punched in the arm by Aaron.
“Ow” he whined.
“Wimp.” Replied Aaron.
I gave them the ‘are you frickin kidding me’ stare so that they would both shut up.
“Sorry” They apologized once they met my eyes.
Hunter smirked and shrugged, “Well then if the babies are done fighting shall we move out?”
Aaron open his mouth.
“Do you have something to say Aaron?” I questioned.
Aaron shut his mouth.
“I thought so. Now then, Phantoms move out!”

Once upon a time there was a girl that would go to school, eat, sleep, live. But that was once upon a time. What grade was I in? What were the names of my sisters? WHAT WAS MY LIFE LIKE? In reality this girl doesn’t have many memories and what memories she does have my just be fabrications created by her imagination in an effort to escape the life they’ve forced upon her. Did I go to school? Did I have sisters? DID I HAVE A LIFE BEFOR THIS ONE? Once upon a time she used to fight back. Once upon a time she used to hope. Once upon a time she used to dream. But it’s common sense that reality never ends with happily ever after. School, I don’t care. Sisters, I don’t care. Life, I wish I was dead. Reality has taught her to do as she’s told because if she fights she’ll be punished. Reality has taught her to stop hoping, because it just leads to disappointment. Reality has taught her to stop dreaming because it’ll only make the nightmare she wakes up to that much worse.

Reality had taken away my light. Now all I see is darkness.

Tongass Forest, Alaska
xxxxx Undisclosed Military Laboratory #7
29 April 2412
8:00

I was startled awake by a sudden burning sensation. It was coming from everywhere and was steadily increasing. As it intensified breathing became difficult and my ears started ringing. I tried to speak, but the words wouldn’t come out and I started to get light headed from the lack of oxygen and the pain. The heat was still increasing. Finally the pain became intolerable and even though I fought it, water started to paint my cheeks as I cried. As soon as I started crying the feeling of being fried started to subside. I gasped for air and my eyes fluttered open only to be blinded by the lights that stared down on me. This only caused my eyes to water more.
As my eyes started to adjust and the ringing in my ears died down I used what little strength I had left to lift my head slightly off the metal table they had strapped me to. The movement from lifting my head caused sparks to fly and I whimpered from the pain. Finally my head was high enough up so that I could view the dozens of burns colored black and red with pus seeping out. I grimaced at the sight before lowering my head back down. I casted my gaze to the upper right to view a room jutted out from the side of the wall. Inside was a group of white lab coats surrounding a large metal box, about the size of a typical dresser, and looking down on me.
The box had millions of different knobs, buttons, colored lights, and cords coming out of it. Its a wonder how something so cool and pretty could conduct enough electricity to kill 175 people.

The microphone buzzed on.
“Good Morning 0429 B. We would like to congratulate you on officially becoming an immortal being after three long years of testing!” He paused so that he could laugh along with the other scientists. “that last shock we gave you was strong enough to kill at least 125 people so you’re more than qualified.” They all laughed again. “Anyways you will be transported to a new facility next week to be undergo training. Oh, and happy birthday by the way!” Once again they all cracked up. “Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha” the voices of the men slowly started getting quieter and quieter until they faded into a static buzz as my hold on reality slipped and my world fell into darkness

When I came around again I was back in my pod. A large cylinder filled with a strange liquid that was a transparent pastel green which allowed me to breath even though I was in a liquid. I floated in the middle connected to about a million different wires and tubes. Some were used to monitor me while others were always pumping who knows what in or out of my body.
Outside of my pod were tons of various machines all blinking and reading numbers with the purpose of monitoring me or “testing” me. There were also dozens of white lab coats with tablets scurrying around or observing/monitoring something.
I stared out at nothing for a while before shifting my focus downwards at my body. Nothing. The burns from earlier must have healed while I was unconscious. I steadily pulled my knees up to my chest and kept my gaze downwards focusing on nothing. Thinking nothing. Feeling nothing. This is my life. I am 0429 B.

0429 B
Tongass Forest, Alaska
xxxxx Undiscloded Military Laboratory #7
29 April 2412
21:45

“KWNOE TOW LAED!” I was startled awake by the incomprehensible shouting that was occurring outside. I couldn’t make out what was going on, but I’ve never seen them this frantic before. I tried to hear what they were yelling, but my pod was made out of thick glass with the purpose of keeping me ignorant to what occurred outside.
Suddenly all of the lab coats started running towards the exits, some covering their ears. My eyes followed them until suddenly everything was blown away and replaced with red, yellow, and orange. Simultaneously, the ground started to vibrate, shaking up and down, causing whatever hadn’t been blown away started to crumble, caving in on itself and going up in flames.
I just watched the chaos play out in front of me. It’s not like I could have done anything even if I had wanted to. I was trapped in my pod which was surprisingly durable and had survived the explosion with only a few cracks. Also, even though the structure of the lab was destroyed and the people obliterated. Most of the machines, which were also surprisingly durable, still remained intact and fully functional. And I was still hooked up to them. If I dared use my abilities then they would shock me with the full 100 amps.
Fweeeeeeeee, I winced and covered my ears as a loud ringing drowned out the crackling of the fire greedily devouring whatever remained of the lab. I followed the sound upward only to be greeted by a grey metal sun. BOOOOM! My pod tipped over with this explosion and shattered on the floor.
In a matter of seconds glass and translucent green liquid exploded everywhere, shards cut me everywhere, at least two ribs cracked from hitting the ground. I squeezed my eyes shuts and tried to focus on my breathing versus the pain. Once I was breathing relatively steadily I slowly sat up and then climbed to standing position. Beads of sweat from exhaustion and heat trickled down my forehead and I was breathing hard by the time I finally stood up. I viewed my surroundings searching for something that I could use to support myself. Thats when I noticed that the engine room was still intact… and that the fire had gotten dangerously close. I held my breath as it started to engulf the small room. BOOM! Once again everything turned into red, yellow, and orange. Including me.

It started as a slight tingling, but quickly escalated to a searing burn. I tried to move, but couldn’t. I tried to take in oxygen, but couldn’t. I layed there for what seemed like eternity trying to bare the pain. I at least need to be able to see… okay, one two, I forced my eyes opened then cried out from the pain. They were burned, probably like the rest of my body, but I couldn’t really feel it anymore. I sat up which was surprisingly easy when you can’t feel your body. Blinking a few times the pain in my eyes began to fade into a kind of buzzy staticy feeling as well and even though everything was blurred I could make out my surroundings.
Black. Black smoke had replaced the originally blue sky. The only lighting was from the fire that was still finishing off the building. Well I can’t just lay here all day or I’ll get captured. I stood up and then looked down at my body. I couldn’t make out any details, but it was colored black and red and pink. When my nerves system heals the pain will probably be intolerable. I better move while I still can. Trudging forward I had no idea where I was going, but the smoke was thinning which was all I cared about. That was until I noticed five dark spots that weren’t fading. I halted. The dark spots began to take on shape and soon became figures. Then the figures began to take on faces and four boys dressed in the colors of the forest appeared in the clearing.
At first all was still and quiet. Just the boys, me, and the laboratory burning around us. But then one boy on each end started to move. Crunch… crunch… crunch… Slowly walking, creeping around me while making a curved path. Then the next two split off and started walking in the same curved path.
I panicked. If I choose to run they would surely catch me. If I choose to fight they would surely beat me. I could feel my heartbeat quicken and my breathing turned to panting. My eyes continued to dart around following the movement of the the five boys until they stopped moving. Now they were standing evenly spaced in a perfect circle. They had me surrounded.
I continued to watch them. Waiting for one to make the first move. I could feel their eyes burrowing into me. It was extremely unsettling and I began shake under their stares. Time ticked by, but no one had yet moved. What are they waiting for? The anxiety continued to build and my shaking got worse. More time passed and I started shaking violently and my balance was off. I took a step back to regain my balance, but I should have never moved because the moment my foot left the ground was the moment I became weightless and went flying into a broken block of metal I was all, but too familiar with. And although it was broken, it was still sparking with electricity and now it had nothing to control it.

The Phantoms: Damien Devlin
Tongass Forest, Alaska
29 April 2412
22:15

By the time we arrived another bomb had already been dropped destroying most of the building which must have been the enemies target. Just about everything had gone up in flames with the exception of a few broken machines. The air was filled with smoke and debris making it hard to see. And it reeked of burning flesh.
“Now what?” Asked Aaron bringing a cloth up to his nose and mouth to make it easier to breath and block out the smell.
“Split up and investigate. Try to figure out why this building was-”
Puzzled Hunter scrunched his eyebrows together, “Damien, what’s wrong?”
“Stand by.” I ordered.
Everyone tensed and turned their gaze to where I was looking to see a dark spot in the smoke that looked a lot like a body.
“... What is that?” Parker hesitantly asked.
“There’s no way any human could have survived those explosions.” Stated Aaron.
“Quiet!” I whispered. “It’s headed our way.” That’s when the body’s movement stopped and the smoke thinned.

Repulsive, disgusting, a monster. I wasn’t even sure if it was human or not. No, it had to be a monster. No human being would be able to survive such an explosion. Or such injuries. The figure that stood before us was dressed in burns, dirt, and various tubes and wires that sprouted out of it. Any normal human would have fainted, piss their pants, or barfed from such a revolting sight. However, even though its appearance was one of a demon it’s aura seemed, well I can’t believe I’m thinking this but it seemed to resonate fear.
“You are to slowly surround it, but do not take any further actions. You will hold your ground.” I whispered. In response everyone subtly nodded.
Aaron and Parker, who were the two on the edges, where the first to move. Once they had gotten halfway to their spots, Hunter and I followed. We all moved silently and we all kept our eyes on the thing that stood in the middle. Within three minutes we had it surrounded in a circle.
The body that stood in the middle had yet to move. I would have expected it to attack or at least runaway, but it just stood there motionless. Wait not motionless, its shaking. No way. THAT is afraid of US!?
I continued to stare and observe in an effort to unravel the appalling figure that stood before us. Nobody was moving and as time dragged on it’s trembling kept on getting worse. As time dragged on its trembling only got worse. After about 6 minutes it was shaking so violently that it actually lost balance. It began to take a small step back in an effort to regain its balance, but its foot never touched the ground. It was blown away by the wind.
I was furious. “You dipstick I told you to hold your ground and what do you do you frickin blow it away! Literally!”
Aaron cringed, “But-”
“AHHHHHHHHHH” A gut wrenching scream along with the crackling of electricity destroyed the silence. We all followed the noise only to see it being electrocuted by some broken machine. After about 23 seconds the electricity stopped and “it” collapsed to the floor. Both the machine and the body were steaming. It’s dead. However, none of us moved. We were too shocked. That scream sounded human.
I took a deep breath before starting to make my way over to the smoking corpse.
“Be careful.” warned Hunter.
I nodded in response before continuing my advance until I was only a few feet away. Thats when the body that should have been dead opened its eyes and immediately started to run away. However, with its injuries it was impossible.
It only managed to to make it a few yards before I caught up with it. I reached out to grab its arm only to be shocked with electricity the moment our skin touched. I gasped in surprise and let go, but the moment I did, it started running again.
“Parker!” I ordered.
“On it!” Parker stomped his left heel into the ground then turned his foot in clockwise. In response the ground shot up and wrapped itself around it’s left calf. Parker then took another step forward digging his right heel into the ground forcing the ground to wrap around the body’s right calf.
The body lurched forward from the sudden stop of its momentum, but remained standing. “Ngh”.
Caught it.
I breathed out in relief that everything went smoothly.
“How’s your hand?” Hunter asked appearing next to me.
“Oh” I looked down at my hand which was now blistered and burned from trying to catch it.
Parker appeared on my other side, “That’s disgusting.”
“.....You know your skin matches that things.” Said Aaron pointing at the captured body.
We all looked up at each other in realization and the skeptically turned to look at the body which was currently desperately clawing at the rock that anchored it to the ground. I shifted my gaze back towards the burning building behind us. Based on all of the equipment I think it used to be a lab. Now the question is what was the purpose of the laboratory? My eyes widened and I turned my head back to look at it.
“I see.” I started making my way over to the captured body.
“What? Hey, wait!” Hunter said jogging to catch up to me. The others followed behind skeptically.
With a slight movement of my arm I pulled water out of my waterskin. “With all of that equipment, that building behind us must be a military laboratory. So the question is, what were they working on?” I had reached the body and was now looking down at it. It had given up on trying to escape and instead had crouched down into a ball on the ground hugging its knees. “Sorry this might sting a bit.” It looked up at me with a worried expression just as I bended water around it’s body that was crouched on the ground. I moved closer to the body and held my hands out just over the bubble with it inside. Moving my hands around in circular movements I began healing it.
“Damien!” Yelled Hunter.
I was shocked out of my zone, “What?” That’s when I heard the sound of helicopter blades in the distance. Still a ways away, but helicopters meant the military. “Crap. How long was I gone?”
“About half an hour”
I nodded before shifting my gaze down to body that was crouched before me. It was still conscious, but just barley. I bended the water back into my waterskin.
“Parker free it.”
“Yes.” He made fists with his hand and then lowered them while simultaneously flattening his hands out horizontally. The earth spiraled down back into the ground and the body collapsed.
It still wasn’t completely healed and most of it’s body was still covered in burns, but it was no where near as bad as it used to be and the body took on more shape. What lay before us was no monster. It was human. No, she was human. Or at least some type of human.
“Damien we have to go.” Hunter warned.
“Right sorry.” I took off my jacket and began wrapping it around her. She winced from the feeling of something touching her skin.
“N-no” she stuttered. She tried to push me away, but she was to weak in her current state. I continued wrapping her up in my jacket before lifting her up.
“Sorry” I whispered. She tensed a bit in response, but gave up struggling. “Alright let’s go.”
Everyone was watching me and the girl that lay in my arms skeptically, but didn’t say anything. They just nodded in response. And then we were gone.