A Light in the Dark | Teen Ink

A Light in the Dark

By Cheshirekat SILVER, Boise, Idaho
Cheshirekat SILVER, Boise, Idaho

“A friend might well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Oh you can't avoid that; we're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat

“We are running out of men, m'lord,” General Lorcan stood in front of a blonde young man, “The beasts seem to be getting stronger now that the stars are gone.” The young man nodded, his eyebrows pulled together. It was dark in the encampment, and a swirling black fog lined the edge, kept barely at bay by torches lit with blue flames. The young man ran his fingers through his long blonde hair and looked up at the starless sky. How long had it been since he'd seen the sun? Four years? Five? The young man turned to General Lorcan.
"I don’t know what to tell you, " the boy said, "except to keep fighting. If we give up now we won't have any hope." Not that we have much anyway, the blonde thought. He turned at the sound of his guards trying keep someone back. Expecting a demon unicorn the blonde drew his sword.
"Oh for lights sake! You know who I am! Torin's my brother, now let me see him," a feminine voice said loudly. The young man, Torin, grinned as he sheathed his blade.
"Let her through," Torin said. A very irritated Sanja pushed her way through the guard.
"It's nice to know that your guards are effective but seriously!" she said as she straightened her dress. Torin chuckled and gave his older sister a quick hug.
"Anything?" He asked her hopefully. Sanja shook her head.
"Not since the last sunset," Sanja sighed. General Lorcan cleared his throat quietly.
"M'lord?" Lorcan asked, "The men are giving up." Torin cursed and looked up to where the darkness swirled above them.
"What do you want me to do about that Lorcan?" Torin said hopelessly, "I'm not even of age." General Lorcan put his hand on the young prince's shoulder.
"Prince Torin," General Lorcan began, "you may not be old enough to be king but you are these people's leader and they need you more than ever. If the people see a strong front they will rally. Don't give up m'lord." Sanja gave her brother a hug.
"The light will provide a way, baby brother," she reassured, "Don't worry." Torin nodded and straightened his shoulders.
"Let's kill some demon unicorns and shadow devils," Torin grinned. Sanja laughed before suddenly freezing her eyes going blank.
"We cannot win this alone," Sanja said,  but it wasn't her voice alone. The seeress's voice was laced with a thousand other voices. "A hero will come, and through the hero a path to victory shall open. The hero will be of light, for light, but be pulled from their own darkness. The hero will come within the year or all will perish." Sanja collapsed in a bundle of fabric on the dirt and the black mist swirled faster. As one of Sanja's handmaidens rushed to the princess's side Torin blinked slowly.
"The light provides," everyone who heard the prophecy whispered. General Lorcan cleared his throat and Torin nodded  briefly before going to stand before the troops who weren't fighting.
"Warriors of Breeglin!" Torin called loudly. The men turned towards their prince. "We mustn't give in. We fight not just for our lives but for the lives of other. We fight for the lives of our children, our wives and the light. Because we are nothing without it." The men cheered and pumped their fists. "We have received new prophecy and soon we will be delivered." The men cheered louder.

"Natela!" Her father's voice echoed through the small cottage. "We do this every day; you can't hide forever! You have to go to school. You have already missed too many days." Natela curled up in a tighter ball. She sat in what she assumed would have been space for a dumbwaiter except then the house was left as a one story cottage instead of becoming a mansion. Her dad knocked on the sliding door causing Natela to jump. He slid open the door.
"I hate school and you can't make me go," Natela jumped out of the dumbwaiter and walked to her bedroom. She sat down on her bed and hugged her pillow. Her mom’s picture smiled at her from her nightstand. Natela pushed it face down. She didn’t want to be reminded of her mom at the moment. It only reminded her of how awful her life had become.
“Natela,” Her dad walked into her room and sat down next to her. “I know you are struggling but wallowing in this depression is not going to help.” Natela jumped away from her dad.
“I’m not depressed!” Natela squealed. Her dad raised an eyebrow. “There is nothing wrong with me, Dad. I am sane and... and happy!” She insisted. Her father sighed and crossed his arms.
“How many times do I have to tell you,” he said gently. “There is nothing wrong with being depressed. As long as you deal with the issue instead of pretending it’s not there.”
“Oh quit blowing smoke, Dad,” Natela stood up. “I’ll go to the bloody school today. Even though I will hate every bloody moment of it and it will be your bloody fault.” Natela's father flicked her chin. She flinched guiltily.
"Watch your mouth!" He scolded. Natela turned, threw on her dark green hoodie, and grabbed her backpack before stalking out of the house.

She kept her hood up as she walked to her locker, hoping no one would notice her. The hallway tiles were slick with water from the thick, heavy mist that lay over the small coastal town. Her right shoe squelched when she walked since she had stepped into the swamp on accident. It wouldn't dry fully until she put it into the dryer. Natela wondered if, before dryers, everyone in this ridiculous town walked around in wet clothes.
"'ello Natela, " a smooth voice spoke, the sneer audible. Natela whipped around and saw Sean standing behind her, his model skinny girlfriend hanging from his neck. Sean scanned Natela up and down. "Looks like ya 'ad a bit of a run in with the swamp. Least ya bloo'y smell like it. Then again, ya always smell this bad." The boy mocked, his accent so thick that Natela struggled to understand. His girlfriend, Brigit, laughed her squeaky, mouse-like laugh. Natela scowled and turned to walk to her first period, her shoe squelching with each step.
"Oy, slut! We was talkin’ to ya!" Brigit snapped as she grabbed Natela's hood and pulled the girl back. Brigit may look look like a model, but she sure didn't speak pretty. Natela coughed as her windpipe was constricted temporarily and she was pulled back in front of, and facing the malicious couple. Sean took a step closer causing Natela to back into the lockers.
"Is the poor Natela scared o' me and me girlfriend?" Sean was so close to Natela, that she could feel his breath on her face. It smelled like tomatoes. She flinched away.
"L...leave me alone," Natela stuttered. Sean smirked but pulled away. Natela relaxed only to get punched in the stomach by Brigit. Natela doubled over with a gasping cough. Brigit and Sean walked away laughing. By the time Natela caught her breath, the bell had rung and she was late for class. Again. She wiped her hands under her eyes to wipe away any tears that had fallen and made her way to her first period.
Each class was the same. Go in, sit down, be told to take her hood down, doze off until she was called on, shake her head, try to ignore the teachers' frustration at her refusing to speak, leave when the bell rings, repeat. Natela hid in the library during lunch, but that didn't stop Sean from finding her and whispering insults in her ear with his stupid accent that everyone but Natela had and could understand. When she got home and her dad asked her how her day was she told him fine before going into her room and not speaking for the rest of the night.

Natela didn't go to school the next day. She instead walked towards the grove of trees that were barely a mile from her house, which sat on the edge of the small town in which she lived. Natela sat on the pile of rocks which had once been an ancient shrine to one of the pagan gods over two millennia ago. Natela dropped her backpack on the grass.
"My life sucks," she said aloud. Natela didn't mind talking to herself out here. No one had visited this shrine besides her in hundreds of years. “I didn’t even want to move here! I want to go back to my bloody home where there aren’t swamps and I can understand what people are bloody saying.”
Why don’t you? A deep voice said in Natela’s head. She screamed as she jumped from the rock and glanced around desperately. She saw no one around except for an eagle circling far above her head.
“Now I am hearing things,” she flopped back onto the shrine with a huff.
No you aren’t little chick. the voice said. Natela stood up slowly.
“This isn’t funny!” she yelled. “I am not going crazy!” Natela smacked her forehead with her palm. “I’m not, I’m not, I’m…” she trailed off as she realized that the eagle above her had circled down and was the size of a small dragon. “I’m bloody insane,” she croaked. The dragon-bird’s plumage was a beautiful blend of reds, oranges, yellows and blues. The dragon-bird gave a throaty chuckle as it landed.
Little chick, you are just as sane and I am. It said. Natela gaped at the creature in shock.
“What,” Natela cleared her throat nervously, “What are you?” The dragon-bird bowed.
I am Time, it said, First and Last phoenix of Breeglin.
“There are no such thing as phoenixes,” she stuttered.
You wound me, Little Chick, Time chuckled as he scored his talons in the earth. But as much as I wish to get to know you, time is precious and you are needed elsewhere.
“What?” Natela said dumbly. Time took off from the ground and hooked a large talon gently around the ebony haired girl. She let out a scream as she was lifted into the air.
Control yourself, Little Chick, Time soared far up where the air was thin. Natela found herself feeling lightheaded and winded as if she had run a mile during an asthma attack.
“I can’t breathe!” she gasped out. Time flew lower in the sky, and while they were still at least two miles above the ground, he leveled out.
I forget that you humans have not developed the lung capacity that I have, he said as Natela’s small town passed beneath them.
“Where are you taking me?” She yelled above the rushing wind.
Do not yell, Little Chick, you will damage your voice, Time spoke as if Natela’s voice was the most important thing at the moment. With a huff and a muttered curse, she repeated her question in a normal voice.
I am taking you to Breeglin. He told her before suddenly swooping toward the land beneath them. Natela screamed at the fast approaching ground and tried to loosen the talons on her midsection. She knew that even if the giant dragon bird let her go at this point she would still splatter on the ground but in a life or death situation, physics was the last thing on Natela’s mind. She closed her eyes waiting for her inevitable death to come but there was no feeling of impact. She opened her eyes slowly and found nothing but white around her. Suddenly a sharp pain pierced her heart and she felt as if her very soul was being torn. She screamed and curled into a ball trying to hold herself together.
Do not panic, Little Chick, Time whispered gently to her, The pain is nothing more than an illusion. It will pass with time. Natela bit her cheek and slowly the feeling ebbed. She opened her eyes again and was surprised to find herself sitting in a dark foggy desert. You see, time heals all wounds. Natela rolled her eyes at the enormous bird.
“You are really full of yourself, aren’t you?” Natela snorted. Time chuckled.
Come we must leave quickly, before Darkness recognizes your arrival, Time stuck out a wing so that Natela could climb up onto his back.
“I think I would rather walk honestly,” Natela said shuffling her feet.
We don’t have time to argue that fact, Time told her, irritation noticeable in his voice for the first time.
“Well maybe I feel like killing time,” Natela snorted back. Time blinked for a moment.
Well said, Little Chick, Time laughed. But we are still flying. All humor left his face as he glared at her. Natela considered her options. She could stay here in this dark foggy desert and alienate this dragon sized bird from her or she could climb on the birds back and fly who knows where.
“Fine,” she muttered grumpily as she climbed onto Time’s back. “Let’s go!” She yelled in mock excitement.
Your enthusiasm is admirable, Time snorted before taking off in a rush. Natela stared around as they flew but the fog hid everything from her view. ‘Well this is boring,’ she thought as she leaned over and burrowed into Time’s plumage. Natela had never been particularly fond of heights, which had made the flight over the ocean when she and her father moved almost traumatizing. Natela sat up suddenly.
“What about my father?” she asked desperately. She couldn’t leave her father; he had already lost so much that it would kill him to lose her as well.
I could not bring your entire being over, Time explained as he dipped under an updraft. Your being was split into two parts. Natela opened her mouth, feeling slightly panicked at the thought of her soul being split but Time continued. You will have to piece your soul back together but for now I performed a spell that will allow you to function without the pain you just experienced. Natela considered this for a moment before nodding and laying her head back down.
“What about my father, though,” she insisted.
I made an exact copy of you and that shall stay with your father. There is no need to worry, Time reassured. Natela nodded; she would miss her father but at least he wasn’t alone for now. She would go back home, eventually. For now she was just curious. Suddenly Time reared back with a hiss and Natela was almost thrown from his back.
“What’s going on?!” she shouted holding tightly to the fiery feathers. Time spiraled to the ground and landed with his wings outstretched in a defensive position.
Darkness has become aware of your presence, Time told her. Natela stared around trying to pierce the dark fog. A silhouette of a man appeared in the fog followed by a voice chuckling darkly.
"And who is that on your back, Time?"

A young man stepped from the fog followed by a pure black coyote.
"I've never seen her at the fortress," he drawled as he stepped forward. His shaggy black hair hung over his forehead and his piercing yellow eyes made him seem almost inhuman.
This doesn’t concern you, Jae, Time hissed in the minds of Natela and Jae. The man laughed darkly and Natela shuddered at the chilling sound.
“Darkness told me the girl is from somewhere else,” Jae's face became serious. “It told me that she has,” Jae seemed to chew over the words, “a light heart.” Natela felt overly confused at what Jae had said.
“What do you mean darkness spoke,” she said with a huff, “and how would it know anything about me?!” Jae broke off the staring contest with Time to analyze Natela. His eyes scanned her up and down but Natela felt it was less lust and more sizing her up to be served on a platter.
“You are so naive,” he muttered half to himself as the dark fog began to swirl. Time spread his wings farther and let out a loud cry. Jae cursed as a large orb of light built between the dragon bird and the man. Jae covered his eyes stumbling away from the orb with a growl.
Leave Jae, Time warned, and next time I will not be so merciful. The coyote, who up till this point had been sitting quietly behind Jae, leapt to its feet.
I'd like to see you try, a gravelly voice spoke in Natela's head. She let out a yelp at the unfamiliar voice.
"Heel, Drake," Jae snapped. Jae turned to Natela, "I'll be back for you." Jae gave her a dark grin and the dark fog enveloped him. Natela watched the spot where he had been before shoving her head into Time's feathers.
"Who was that?" She murmured to the bird. Time shook his head.
You will understand with time, the phoenix joked weakly. Let's get away from this dark place. Time lifted his wings and took off from the hard ground. Natela closed her eyes and wished to be home.

Little Chick, Time's voice broke through the haze of nightmares that wrapped around Natela's mind. She sat up slowly and glanced around. A line of torches  topped with blue flame surrounded a field of yellowed grass. 'Grass? But there isn’t any sun?' She wondered looking at the swirling black fog that hung far above the torches, held back by more blue flamed torches held up by pillars at least thirty feet high.
“Why are the torches blue?” she asked in awe as Time landed in the grass and she slid from his back.
They are phoenix flames, he told her as he picked at a feather on his enormous wing. In fact they are all made of my flame. Natela nodded distractedly still not understanding. A loud shout made her jump and scoot closer to the enormous bird. Time chuckled and nudged her reassuringly with his wing.
From across the field five boys were running towards her and Time. The oldest looked to be about twelve and he immediately jumped and wrapped his gangly arms around Time’s neck.
“Time!” one of the toddlers hugged Time's eagle like talons, giggling as it made the poor bird stumble slightly.
Hello children, Time said, his gaze gentle as the children all started to climb on him. I wish I could play but I have something I must do. Time nudged Natela from under his wing where she had been hiding from the mob of rambunctious children. As one, the boys all turned to stare at her. Natela scooted away from their curious stares.
"Is she a whisp?" The eldest child asked jumping from Time's back.
"Am I a what?" She asked in confusion.
What colour are her eyes, Will?
"They're green!" A boy who looked a year or two younger said his bright red hair falling in his eyes. Time glanced at the other boy.
Good job, Chuck. All whisps have yellow eyes, the bird said softly to the pre teen. The youngest boy ran over and hugged her legs tightly.
“I like her!” he proclaimed in his young voice.
“Ronnie-”
“What did-”
“We tell you-”
“about hugging strangers.” A pair of twins pulled the littlest off of her, even though they looked barely five themselves.
Boys, why don’t you go find your mother and Jenny? Time hinted. The boys stared at him before running off arguing all the while. Natela collapsed to the ground in a state of shock. It had been almost a year since anyone but her dad had touched her in a way that wasn’t painful.
“That was a lot of red headed boys,” she muttered as she made her way to her feet.
Those are the Wembley boys, Time chuckled. The entire family has that colour of hair. They are a kind family though they struggle to feed that many children on the rations they receive. Time walked over to her and gestured toward the buildings a ways away.
“Where are we going?” Natela asked as she followed the phoenix across the field and toward the city.
I am taking you to the prince, Time told her as he pointed his beak toward a large building in the center of the city.
“The prince?!” Natela squealed in surprise. “I can’t meet a prince! I look like a bloody squirrel!” Time looked at her curiously.
I don’t see how you look like a bloody squirrel when there isn’t a drop of blood on you. Natela nearly didn’t catch the sarcasm in his tone.
“Ha ha,” she said in a flat voice. Time chuckled.
Come on, Little Chick, he said stretching one wind toward her, It will be faster if we fly. Natela climbed onto Time’s back then he stretched his wings and took off into the air.

Time landed on an outcropping on the top of a tower and Natela slid off of his back. The door in front of them flew open and a woman with long white blonde hair stumbled out.
"Time!" The woman stepped forward only to freeze at the sight of Natela. "Who's this?" She suddenly sounded so formal, her back going straight and her hands clasped in front of her.
"Hi?" Natela raised her hand to wave but the look the woman sent her was fierce and she opted to stay silent instead.
You don’t need to know who she is, Sanja. Time said. Sanja c***ed an eyebrow at the phoenix before curtsying to Natela.
“I am Princess Sanja,” she said in a proper voice. “I assume you are here to meet the Prince and be given a place to stay?” Natela glanced at Time but the bird stayed silent.
“I-I um…” Natela wasn’t quite sure how to answer. She didn’t really want to be here but she didn’t want to go home either.
“You’re a refugee, right?” the princess asked tilting her head to the side. Natela threw a desperate look at Time but he continued to watch the princess.
“I guess I am,” Natela said softly. “I mean, Time picked me up and brought me here so I assume I am. I mean, I’m-I’m not really sure.” Sanja stared at her for a moment, assessing if the girl was sincere.
“Well,” Sanja stepped forward and held out her hand as if to shake hands. As Natela held out her hand Time spoke up.
I can vouch for her, Sanja, he said calmly, There is no need to test her. Sanja put her hand down reluctantly.
“Fine,” she said sharply, “What’s your name then?”
“Natela; my name is Natela.”
“Follow me then,” Sanja said turning sharply. “Prince Torin just finished with a council meeting, so he should be in his study.” Natela followed the blonde as she walked.
“You’re a princess?” she asked. Sanja nodded.
“I am the princess and a seeress,” Sanja pulled open a large ebony door. Inside the room a young man stood pouring over pieces of parchment on a table.
“I’m busy,” he snapped writing something down.
“Really,” Sanja said walking into the room. “You’re too busy for your big sister?” The man, whom Natela assumed was Prince Torin sighed.
“Sanja, I’m serious,” he said. “I don’t have time for your antics. Go bother Owin.” Torin looked up at his sister and saw Natela standing awkwardly in the doorway. He stood up straight and stared her up and down. Torin smirked and rounded the table.
“I’m Prince Torin,” he held out his hand to shake hers, “What’s your name, Darling?”
“Natela,” she said, blushing and taking his hand.
“Time wouldn’t let me test her,” Sanja told her brother. “He said we could trust her but…”
“Sanja,” Torin said rolling his eyes at his sister, “If Time says she’s good then she’s good.” Torin turned back to Natela, "and you do look good to me." He winked playfully. Natela was red to her ears at this point, having not had much experience with men and even less with princes.
The Darkness is searching for her, Time told the royal adults. I brought her here where she would be safe. Torin clenched his jaw, examining the bird and occasionally glancing at Natela before he spoke.
“Safe?” Torin said after a pause. “She's endangering my people then.” Time calmly stared into Torin’s eyes. Natela couldn’t help but flinch at the thought of her presence causing anyone harm.
You made an oath Torin, Time reminded the man. You swore to protect every living human. She is human and she is living. Torin sighed and ran his hand through his long hair. Sanja walked over to her brother and whispered a few words into Torin’s ear before he stood up straight and looked at the guard that had been standing in the corner of the room, unnoticed until this point.
“Fine," he said walking back to the table and his maps. "Have Annalise find her a room." The guard left the room followed by Sanja who sent a suspicious glare at Natela. Time gave a respectful nod to the prince before following after the princess leaving Natela and Torin alone in the room. Natela shuffled her feet before taking a deep breath and stepping towards the prince.
“What is that that you’re looking at?” she asked trying not to sound as nervous as she felt. Torin glanced up at her before making a note on the paper beneath him.
“It’s a ledger for the kingdom’s funds,” he said. “Nothing terribly interesting.” Natela nodded and sat down on one of the chairs.
“What’s it like being a prince?” she blurted out curious. Torin scrunched his eyebrows as he examined her closely.
“What’s it like being human?” he challenged. Natela paused before laughing.
“Well I’ve never been anything else,” she said smiling. Torin chuckled and glanced up as the door to the room opened. A short round woman walked into the room and smiled at the prince.
“Prince Torin,” she said fondly, “You messed up your hair.” Torin snorted and ran his hand through his hair again.
“I do my best,” he chuckled. The woman rolled her eyes before turning to where Natela sat awkwardly examining her thumb nail.
“You must be the refugee,” she stated. Her voice was sharp but not unkind; she sounded like Natela’s mother and Natela felt her heart stutter at the thought. “I’m Annalise, Torin and Sanja’s nurse.
“Ya,” Natela said, trying to keep her voice even. “I um, I’m Natela.”
“Good,” Annalise said with a smile, “I’ll show you where you will be living then.” Natela jumped from her seat and followed the woman out the door. Annalise didn’t stop speaking as they walked between the large buildings. She seemed to be giving Natela the ‘grand tour’.
“That over there is the school,” Annalise said with a gesture to a stone building in the middle of the town. “It’s much too empty these days. A large pack of demon unicorns broke through our defenses and ravaged anyone they met. Too many of us died that day,” Annalise trailed off sadly. Natela tried to looked mournful but her mind was still caught on the idea of demon unicorns. Annalise led Natela into a tall building.
“These are some of the dorms,” Annalise explained. The two women passed door after door as they walked down the hall.
“I’ll be staying here?” Natela asked curiously. Annalise nodded. “Will I be by myself?”
“No, you will be rooming with Erin,” Annalise said going up the stairs. “She is a little enthusiastic but you’ll get used to it. She’s a sweetheart.” The two stopped on the fifth floor and continued walking down yet another hall. They stopped at a brown door, just like all the others. Annalise knocked calmly.
“I’m coming,” a chipper voice called from the other side of the door before it swung open. A brunette opened the door and grinned at the two women. “Are you my roommate?” she asked Natela in excitement. Natela nodded and was surprised when the young woman practically tackled her into a hug. “I’m Erin! We are going to have so much fun!” she squealed and ran back into the small apartment. Natela stared after her for a moment before nervously following her into the apartment with a backwards wave to Annalise.
“I’m Natela,” she started but Erin interrupted.
“You can have the bed next to the window,” she said as she began pulling stuff off the bed. The corners of the room were stuffed with junk and clothing and the floor looked like it hadn’t been vacuumed in weeks. “Sorry about the mess,” she apologized, “I am busy with training right now and well, I don’t like cleaning.”
“My room was this messy,” Natela lied, her room had always been spotless, “it doesn’t bother me.” Another lie; the mess made her twitchy. Natela spotted the bookshelf on the other end of the room. It was filled to the brim with books, but most of them were unfamiliar.
“You read at all?” Erin asked, noticing Natela examining the books. Natela nodded. “I’ll show you the library,” she grabbed Natela’s hand and began dragging her out of the room. “Come on!”

Jae scratched Crom behind the ear.
You saw her Jae, the coyote’s harsh growl filled his mind. She hardly looked like she could fight off a doe, let alone you.
“That’s not what I’m worried about,” Jae snapped. He ran his hands through his hair, “She will develop her powers if she stays at that rebel encampment. I can’t exactly just waltz in there either.” He reminded his friend. Crom snorted and rolled onto his side, his tail wagging slightly.
You should rub my belly, he said with a toothy grin. Jae glared at the canine for a moment before sighing and scratching Crom’s belly, chuckling as his foot started to kick in excitement.
“Enjoying yourself, boy,” a loud voice rumbled. Jae jumped to his feet and bowed deeply.
“M’lord,” he said, “I did not know you were present.”
“You should be more aware,” Darkness rumbled. “Your lacking vigilance will get you killed.”
Jae straightened from the bow slowly. “M’lord,” he took a deep breath, “W-we saw the girl, but she was with the phoenix. I did my best, but they got away.” Jae went flying into one of the pillars in the grand hall.
“Got away!” Darkness yelled. “You fool of a man!” Jae pulled himself to his feet, checking himself for broken bones. He yelped as he ran his hand over his right arm. The shoulder was dislocated. Jae closed his eyes and focused on the power that formed in his stomach, releasing it through his body. He gritted his teeth feeling his arm pop back into it’s rightful spot and a torn ligament fix itself.
“I did my best,” Jae said calmly, hoping for the writhing mass of black smoke that had formed would disperse. “The bird attacked me and I would have been vaporised if I had tried to take her, m’lord.” The writhing mass stopped and began to take a humanoid form.
“Five hours,” Darkness said in a deadly voice.
“Five…” Jae cut himself off; protesting would only add to the time. “Yes, m’lord.” Jae bowed before walking out of the Grand Hall. He walked quickly and Crom occasionally would have to trot to keep pace.
You should have made something up, Crom said.
“Lying only makes it worse,” Jae said, his voice flat with defeat. “It can always tell when I’m lying.” Crom snorted softly but didn’t speak as the two entered the kitchens. Inside a small girl sat at a table drawing. She looked up as Jae entered the room and squealed.
“Brother, Brother!” She tugged Jae over to the table, “Look what I drew.” The picture was a flawless sketch of Crom chasing a rabbit.
“That’s fantastic, Rylie,” Jae said half-heartedly. “Listen,” he said softly, crouching in front of his sister, “I have to leave, but I will be back in five hours. Don’t use your powers anymore to draw. I want you to practise storing the energy, okay.” Rylie’s eyes grew round as her brother spoke and filled with tears.
“I don’t want you to go!” she threw her arms around her brother’s neck and began to sob into his shoulder.
Jae sighed. “Rylie, I got in trouble. I must leave,” he explained calmly, prying her off of him. “I’m a big boy; I’m 21 now. I can take care of myself. I want Crom to stay with you though." Rylie hugged her brother tighter.
"Be safe!" She said softly. Jae stepped away and grabbed his cloak off of a hook by the door.
"Five hours." He pulled open the door and immediately the thick black smoke-like fog began to tumble into the room. He threw his sister one last grin before stepping outside.

Jae sheathed his sword as the shadow devil collapsed to the ground.
"Idiotic monster," he grumbled grimacing at the gash on his forearm. It burned and was deep enough to have severed at least one vein. He probably would bleed out if he didn't heal it and a part of him didn't mind the idea of dying, no matter how painful. With a sigh Jae healed the wound and continued walking. He could see the lights of the rebel fortress and when he crested the next hill he sat down. A line of phoenix fire torches burned down below him, and his left hand tingled at the sight. Another reason he couldn’t run from Darkness. When his mother had been cast out, they had both been cursed. Jae held up his hand watching the light reflect off of the blackened scar. If he tried to go past the line of torches he would be put through immense pain. Only Time had the power to cast a curse like that, not to mention the authority. The curse his mother cast had been minor - the man had grown boils in a terrible spot - and because of the ‘dark magic’ she used she was thrown from the fortress one month pregnant, along with a fourteen year old Jae.
“Hey!”
Jae turned to see a group of soldiers approaching him. He stood slowly and his hand went straight to his knife; if he was threatened he would use it in defense, but he didn’t want to start a fight. The rebels would lose and it would be Jae’s fault.
“I’m not a threat,” Jae said carefully, his stance relaxed but firm.
“Like hell you’re not a threat,” the leader said loudly. Jae scanned the group and noticed a small boy standing in the back, his eyes bouncing around nervously eyeing the dark smoke that cloaked the land. “Standing here on a hill outside our base. Moping around like no one can see your filth.”
Jae grimaced and the dark smoke began to swirl around the men, excluding the young boy. One of the men tried to escape but the moment he touched the smoke he reared back in pain.
“I am not filth,” Jae snarled. “If I am, it’s by your doing, you miserable piece of dirt.” The smoke tightened and a tendril snaked out wrapping around the throat of the man who had spoken. Jae could feel his stomach twisting with anger and a part of him shrieked to let the men go but he shoved it down and the tendril tightened around the man’s throat cutting off his air supply.
“Stop!” a hand grabbed his cloak. “Please! Don’t kill my father!” Jae turned and saw the boy’s eyes desperately pleading. The tendril released the man and Jae began to back away from the group’s accusing eyes. When the smoke obscured the men from his sight, he turned and ran. Tears tried to work their way from his eyes but Jae shoved them away, fighting away the sight of the boy, pleading for his father’s life; he fought away the image of himself pleading for his mother to live. Jae slowed to a walk and drew his sword. It often helped to run through his sword stances when he needed to calm down. A sharp howl drew his attention and Jae looked up to see Crom running at him full speed.
It took her, Crom yelled. She was using her powers and Darkness took her. I tried to stop it but it overpowered me. Jae took off running for the old castle. He had to get his sister.