Rosefield High | Teen Ink

Rosefield High

By JosieLie BRONZE, Moreno Valley , California
JosieLie BRONZE, Moreno Valley , California

Chapter 1
Elizabeth Monroe

Rosefield High is a school and also it has a residence for the high school students and college students. Rosefield High has a very weird policy. Rosefield High just opened in August and all students living in Rosefield must attend the big high school and college. Everyone who has been accepted into the school has to stay in the residence forever. No one is allowed to transfer out and no one is allowed to transfer in. The high school won’t allow incoming students to enter the school. The school is one giant building. My classes are mostly on the second floor. The first floor is the lounge and the front office is on the first floor. I put my notebooks on my desk in my room.

Dorms usually require you to share with another person, but this school lets you have your own private rooms and you have a lot of cafes and shops. There are about thirty security guards around the campus. I decided that I want to go to the lounge. I wonder if my crush Jacob is going to be there. I went down the elevator. A security guard and two girls from my class went inside the elevator. No one talked to me. It was dead silence, which I hate the most. The elevator door opened and I quickly went out of the elevator. Trina came up to me. “Elizabeth, do you have your notes?” “Yes, I do.” I said. “Can I see them please?” Trina asked me.

“I don’t feel like going up the elevator again.” I said. “Ok. Did you hear the teachers talking about a weird phenomenon?” Trina asked me. “No. What kind of weird phenomenon?” I said. “Dragons and monsters are scaring students here.” Trina said. “But dragons aren’t real.” I said. I’m scared of monsters and dragons. But I don’t think they’re real, unless adults have been lying to us. Trina sat down on a leather chair. I sat down next to her chair. “Dragons are real. And a lot of students are very scared. They put the school on lockdown. Didn’t you hear the announcement?” Trina said. “No. I took a two hour nap.” I said. “Oh. The school is on lockdown.” Trina said.

Casey Lizzy

Stella and Mina are going to the library. I don’t where Trina is. Trina is probably in the gym or the lounge. I sat down on my comfortable bed. I held my pink comforter, very tightly. I heard something about dragons and monsters. I grabbed my textbooks and workbooks. I head over to the library. The library is on the first floor near the huge lounge. I saw Trina sitting down next to Elizabeth. I don’t like Elizabeth. She’s very smart and education is her world. She only cares about studying and learning new things. I opened the library door and I went inside. There were about fifty people sitting down on chairs and on the floor. The library is packed and I cannot find Stella and Mina anywhere.

Jacob, the school’s hottie, entered the library. “Hi, Casey. Have you seen Elizabeth or Trina?” Jacob said. “They’re in the lounge. Do you know where Stella and Mina are?” I said. “They decided to go the Italian Cafe on the third floor.” Jacob said. “Ok. Thank you.” I said. I went out of the library. There are a lot of people hanging around the lounge. There are seventy thousand students in this school. Jacob went over to Elizabeth and Trina. I felt kind of jealous, because Jacob has been eyeing Elizabeth.

Elizabeth

“Hi, Elizabeth. Do you have my notebook?” Jacob asked me. “No. I gave it to you.” I said. “Ok. There is some weird phenomenon here.” Jacob said. “Yeah. I heard the dance is on Friday. Are you going?” I said. “I’m going with Missy.” Jacob said. Missy is very popular on the high school side of the campus. Missy is very nice and I like her. “Ninth grade dance is on Friday.” Missy said, handing me a pink piece of paper. On the edge of the paper, were some flowers. They’re Roses. “Did you print these?” I said. “Yeah.” Missy said. “They look nice.” I said. “Thank you.” Missy said. I smiled at her.

A group of people from the college came down and told everyone to go the emergency room on the eighth floor of the building. Everyone rushed towards the elevator. The elevator can only hold fifty people which is a lot of people and bigger than standard elevators. I was the last person on the elevator and inside the emergency room. “Ok. We have something to tell you and it is something that the teachers don’t even know. And also the other staff members. Our island is connected to some sort of alien field. The alien field can open portals to a weird galaxy. No one here knows about it.” A girl with brunette colored hair said. Her eyes are green. “My name is Sarah.” The girl said.

“We should tell the teachers.” I said. “Maybe, but until we know for sure the information is correct. We should forget about the phenomenon and continue our lives like nothing is wrong.” Sarah said. “Why?” I said. “I found this information on a website. And I don’t know if the information is right or not.” Sarah said. “Ok.” I said. Everyone started filing out of the room. “Sarah, we should tell the teachers. If we are wrong, we can dig deeper into this island’s secrets.” Trina said. “Ok, I’m going to the principal.” Sarah said. We nodded. The building has nine floors. Trina and I decided to go to the ninth floor where the vending machines are. The ninth floor has a candy shop and a huge bookshop if we don’t want to rent books. The ninth floor has a lot of unused rooms and that is where students use them for project rooms or rooms for making videos.

We went to the candy shop. The candy shop is pink and it has white tables scattered everywhere. I grabbed a watermelon lollipop. The lollipop is shaped like a watermelon and it tastes like a watermelon. I sucked on my lollipop. “Do you think the phenomenon is real?” I said. “Yeah. I’ve seen the dragon and the scary monsters.” Trina said. “This place looks like a normal place.” I said. “It does, but this island has secrets. I mean monsters coming out of nowhere.” Trina said. The woman standing at the cash register was counting the money in the register. After I finished eating my lollipop, I threw away the stick and Trina told me that she needs my notes. I told her that she already told me that. Trina rolled her eyes at me.

May Ling

I bought a new tank top from Nordstrom Rack. I looked in the mirror. The tank top is pink and it is laced. The lace is floral. The tank top is perfect for my slim body. I am a fashionista. I stared at the mirror for awhile. I took off the tank top and I put on my yellow tank top. “May.” Someone said. I looked at the person who opened my door. “Hi, Brett.” I said. Brett is my teacher, he allows me to call him Brett. Brett is always concerned about me, because I’m twelve years old. He thinks I’m very weak and I’m vulnerable and also gullible. “Do you want to go to one of the private rooms on the ninth floor?” Brett asked me. “Sure. What is this about?” I said. Brett looked at the wall for a minute and then he looked at the floor. “There is something wrong with this island. I’ve been thinking that we should look for the answer.” Brett said. “We’re not allowed to. If we learn about this island’s secrets we will endanger ourselves.” I said.

“A group of girls from the college side told me a little bit about why monsters are terrorizing the island. And they said the island’s secrets won’t harm us. They found information from a website about this island.” Brett said. “The website might not be credible until we can proof the information is credible.” I said. “I know that’s why we’re going on an expedition.” Brett said. “Just me and you?” I asked Brett. “Few people are coming with us. There are few places where no one lives, because they believe there are ghosts and spirits.” Brett explained to me. “I think ghosts are real and spirits too, but if we don’t disturb them, they won’t hurt us.” I said. “If you build a building, that will disturb them.” Brett said. I started laughing very hard. “I mean if you intentionally disturb them, like you’re yelling really loud at them or try way too hard to get their attention. They know that you’re trying to make a shelter and they know if you’re trying to disturb them.” I said.

“I’m hungry.” Brett said. “Why did you change the topic?” I said. When someone changes the topic, that means they’re hiding something. I’m going to find out what he’s hiding. “All this ghost talk is making me hungry and plus I did not eat a lot, because I had to grade late work. There was a huge pile of late work. Teenagers are lazy.” Brett said. I started laughing. “We want to have fun and go to the discotheque.” I said. “When I was younger, the discotheque is not as cool like today’s discotheque.” “I know. Let’s go to the Italian Cafe.” I said. “Ok. I heard they have delectable pasta there.” Brett said. The Italian Cafe looks like a buffet and it’s very cozy. “What would you like?” A girl with blonde hair and a tinge of black streaks said. “I would like to order Lasagna.” I said. “Ok. And what would you like to order?” The girl asked Brett. “I would like some Ravioli.” Brett said. “That would be ten dollars in total for both dishes.” The girl said. Her name tag say Alina Amara. “That’s really cheap.” I said. “I know, because this is a school we cannot overcharge you.” Alina said.

Brett and I sat in the middle of the cafe. I ate my Lasagna very slowly. There are a lot of discussions about the weird phenomenon on the island. I looked at the TV in front of me. The news is on. “Breaking news: There are dragons and monsters all over the island. Adults and children are very scared. And most of the streets are abandoned. The police departments and federal marshals are investigating. Rosefield High might join the investigation since the students are mostly fascinated by science and psychology. And they’re also fascinated with technology. And if they find the answer to the phenomenon, they will get a recognition from the government.” A woman said.

“Told you we can look for answers and discover the secrets.” Brett said. “I know, but what if our island ends up like a roasted barbecue?” I said. “Who would burn our island? No one is here to hurt us and destroy our island.” Brett said. “Are you guys talking about the phenomenon?” Melissa said. “Yeah.” I said. “I don’t think the phenomenon is real. I mean this island has been discovered one hundred years ago. Why would there be a phenomenon now?” Melissa said. “Because the people who first discovered the island burned the evidence that there are ghosts and spirits. And about the monsters.” I said. “What does that mean?” Melissa said. “The people who discovered this island probably explored this island first and then they wrote articles about this island.” I said.

“Why would they write about this island and then burn it?” Melissa said. “They could be aliens.” I said. “Aliens aren’t real.” Melissa said. “Monsters and dragons are supposed to be imaginary creatures.” I said. “I know that, but something weird is going on and we need to investigate.” Melissa said. “See? She wants to investigate. You’re the only one who is scared.” Brett said. “Ok. We will investigate. I think we should start at the cemetery. The cemetery that is near the abandoned place.” I said. “Ok, we should investigate tomorrow. Trinity wants to go to the mountain. She thinks the answer is there.” Melissa said. “I think there is a secret portal near the cemetery, but it is invisible.” I said.

“How are we going to figure out the answer if the portal is invisible?” Melissa asked me. “The portal might be invisible, but when a monster or a dragon comes out, the portal will be visible.” I said. “That makes more sense.” Melissa said.

Trinity Nixon

Everyone has been talking about a weird phenomenon. I think the answer for the phenomenon is on the mountain. No one on the island really care about the mountains, because the mountains are near where ghosts and spirits dwell. No one wants to encounter a ghost or a spirit. There are some rumors that a teacher and some students are going to go to the mountain. But another rumor is that a teacher and some students are the reason why monsters are terrorizing the island. I think the second rumor is ridiculous, unless the teacher and the students don’t realize that there is something weird about them.

Tomorrow before dawn, I’m going to the mountain and search for the answer myself. There was a knock on my bedroom door. I opened the door and it was Melissa with May next to her. “Hi, guys.” I said. “We’re going to the cemetery.” May said. “Ok. I’m going to the mountain before dawn.” I said. “Please come with us. I think the portal is near the cemetery.” May said. “How about we go to the cemetery first and then the mountain?” I said. “Ok, we have to leave before the sun rises.” Melissa said. “Ok.” May said. I smiled at May and Melissa. May is so cute. She’s very tiny and she’s short. I keep thinking of her as a little girl, because of how tiny she is. “What should we wear?” May said. “Something casual, so no one knows that we’re investigating too.” Trinity said. “Are you scared we’re going to get caught?” May asked me. “No, but we’re not supposed to investigate.” I said. “Oh. You mean because the island will be destroyed if we investigate?” May said. “No, because the government don’t want us to.” I said. “According to the news they said we might join the investigation. And if we find out the answer to this mysterious phenomenon, we’ll get a recognition. It feels like they’re to get us to investigate, because we obviously love science and it’s obvious that monsters are make believe.” May said.

“I guess, but I have a feeling that something might go wrong.” I said. “Like what?” May asked me. “Like one of us getting lost or one of us getting killed.” I said, staring at May. “Why are you looking at me? Are you trying to insinuate something?” May asked me. “No, but I’m trying to say that something might go wrong.” I said. May nodded her head and she went out of my bedroom. Melissa followed her.

May Ling

Melissa told me that she is going to her room and I decided to go to my room. I lay down in my bed and I thought about the ebony dots on the ceiling. I wonder how many there are. There are probably one million of them. When I’m scared or nervous, I would think about random things like flowers or buttons. I would about the island. The island is called Azure, because it is surrounded by beautiful flowers that are blue. Chapter 1
Elizabeth Monroe

Casey Lizzy

Elizabeth

May Ling

Trinity Nixon

May Ling

Melissa told me that she is going to her room and I decided to go to my room. I lay down in my bed and I thought about the ebony dots on the ceiling. I wonder how many there are. There are probably one million of them. When I’m scared or nervous, I would think about random things like flowers or buttons. I would about the island. The island is called Azure, because it is surrounded by beautiful flowers that are blue. I wonder if Trinity is right. Something can go wrong and usually I don’t like adventures that requires such a great risk.

May Ling

I woke up and I remembered that today is the day where I have to go to the cemetery. I got up from my bed and I grabbed my little light green valise. I packed a few clothes. I grabbed two of my favorite cardigans. One of them is mint green and the other one is yellow. I grabbed my tank tops. I like my pink laced tank top. I put it in my valise. I put in my plain dark blue tank top and my plain pink tank top. I grabbed two pairs of black leggings and white leggings. I put them in my valise. I think that’s enough for a few days. If we’re in danger, the school will be our refuge.

“May. Let’s go.” Melissa said. “I did not have breakfast yet.” I said. “Brett bought us some yogurt parfait. We’re going to ride a jeep. There were be a lot of dirt road.” Melissa said. I grabbed my valise and Melissa looked at it. “That’s very small.” Melissa said, pointing to my valise. “Yeah, we can always use the school as a refuge.” I said. I pulled my valise out of the room. The principal of the high school and the principal of the college were walking around. The principals noticed my valise. “Where are you guys going?” The principal of the high school side said. “We’re going to try to find the answer for this weird phenomenon.” I said.

“Be safe. There are a lot of dangerous things in the places where no one wants to live.” The principal said. “I have an idea.” Melissa said. “What is it?” I said. “We need cameras and laptops.” Melissa said. “You guys can borrow unused Chromebooks and some cameras that are used for videotaping.” The principal said. “We need tripods too.” Melissa said. “We have a lot of tripods. We’ll get them for you.” The principal said. The college principal smiled at us. Melissa held my tiny hand and stroked it. “I’m kind of nervous. What if people are just hallucinating?” Melissa said. “I don’t know. I said. But even if the monsters are not real, we should discover this island’s secrets.” I said.

“Is it worth it? What if our island crumbles? It’s going to be our fault.” Melissa said. “It’s not going to be our fault, because we do not know if the secrets are that dangerous.” I said. “My parents told everything about this island.” Melissa said. “I know, but aren’t you curious? What is this island hiding from us?” I said. “I am curious. We need a lot of people to come with us.” Melissa said.

Trinity Nixon

It’s early in the morning. I packed a few things. The sun hasn’t rise yet. I quickly went over to May’s room. I bumped into a few people. Some of the told me to watch where I’m going. I stepped inside the elevator and I went out of the elevator quickly. I went to May’s room and she’s hanging out in the hallway with Melissa. “Hi, guys. Are you guys ready?” I said. “Yeah.” They both said, in unison. Mr. Evans walked towards us. “Hi, Brett.” May said. He had a frown on his face. “It’s very dangerous outside. There is like a huge storm outside and the jeep can’t move on muddy dirt.” Brett said. “We’ll walk.” I said. “It’s too dangerous. The dirt road is very slippery and there are a lot of snakes there.” Brett said. “I did not notice the rain.” May said. “Yeah, because it’s loud in here.” Brett said.

Most of the students are already awake, because most of them has zero period. School starts are seven, but students who has zero period start at six. “We’ll have to stay here.” May said. “Let’s research about the mysterious phenomenon after school.” I said. “Ok. I’ll tell my students I’m going to be here for the rest of the day.” Brett said. Brett went on the elevator. “That’s really weird. It’s raining and we want to go to the cemetery.” I said. “Life is weird.” May said. “I know.” I said. Melissa is very quiet. “I’m going to go get some chips.” Melissa said. I went to my room and May went inside hers.

May Ling

I sat on the edge of my bed. I thought about my favorite flowers. My favorite flowers are Sunflowers and Roses. My favorite species of Sunflowers is Strawberry Blonde Sunflower. I also like Purpledisk Sunflower. Melissa opened the door and she held three bags of chips. “YOu gonna share?” I said. “No.” Melissa said. “Ok.” I said. “I’m going to the library.” I said. Melissa went out of my room. I decided to go to the bookstore instead of the library. I went to the ninth floor. I opened the double doors. The double doors are made out of glass and the handles has silver flowers. I looked around the bookstore. I searched for my favorite book. My favorite book is The Art of Arranging Flowers. I read it when I was younger. I was in third grade when I read that book. It was hard for me to understand at first, but I kept reading it until I understood everything about the book. I went to the teen section and the section where they keep books about flowers. I grabbed The Art of Arranging Flowers by Lynne Branard, Fabric Flowers by Kate Haxell, Paper Towns by John Green, and a lot more books. The cashier looked at me with dilated eyes. I thought the book A Student’s Guide to Waves is perfect for me. I also bought Ana’s Story: A Journey of Hope.

The cashier showed me the price of the books in total. It was quite expensive, but I was not surprise. I bought a lot of books. I paid the price and then I went out of the bookstore. I went to my room and I stared at my valise. I called Melissa on my iPhone. “May. What’s up?” “We should go without Brett. We’re losing time. We need to discover the island’s secrets now. I don’t think I can live with dragons everywhere.” I said. “Ok.” Melissa said. I pulled my valise into the elevator. I went to the lounge and Trinity was waiting there for me with Melissa. “I got the keys.” Melissa said, with a huge grin. “Let’s go.” I said. We ran to the Jeep and we climbed in. No one noticed that we snuck out. Melissa locked the doors. She turned on the engine and she drives very smoothly. “We might get detention.” I said. “I know.” Melissa said. “They’re going to spank us, if we get caught.” I said.

“We should just walk.” Trinity said. “We won’t get caught.” Melissa said. “That’s impossible.” I said. “It’s a bad idea.” I added. “We have to find out this island’s secrets.” Melissa said. “Ok. Are we prepared to face the consequences?” I said. “Yeah.” Melissa said. “Me too.” I said. “Me three.” Trinity said. I smiled at Trinity. We’re going to make history. I stared out of the window. Trinity looked around the car. I saw Brett trying run after. “Melissa, Brett is right behind us and he looks very angry.” I said. “Who cares?” Melissa said. Suddenly, I don’t feel brave anymore. Tears started falling down my cheeks. Trinity slapped me.

“Stop acting like a baby. You’re always scared and you’re a goody goody.” Trinity said. I stared at her. I was angry at her for slapping me. I stared out the window again. “Melissa, please stop. I’m going to walk from here.” I said. “Ok.” Melissa said. I grabbed my suitcase and then I walked out. I looked up at the sky and a little bit of raindrops fell onto my face. A car that looks like a Ferrari stopped right next to me. Brett was about five feet away from me. “Hey, pretty thing. You need a ride?” A boy said. He smelled like alcohol. Brett was right behind. “Don’t get in that car.” Brett said.

“No, thanks.” I simply said. I walked away from Brett. I am scared. I think he is going to hurt me. I twirled around and around in the rain. I looked like a crazy person. But I am happy. Suddenly, I stopped twirling. Is this worth it? I don’t want to get in trouble. It will ruin my records. I sat down on the wet rock. I don’t care if I’m wet. No one really cares about me except for my friends. I sighed and Brett watched me. He smiled at me. That scared me a lot. I got up and walked away.
Brett followed me and I turned around to look at him.

My chest is in knots right now. I thought about the things that were said last night. I mean, is it wrong for us to borrow the car without permission? If I put it that way, it sounds very long. I looked at Brett who is still following. I looked at the sky and tried to figure out where the dragons came from. I saw a few birds flying. I took out my waterproof camera that is in one of the pouches. I put my camera back inside the suitcase and I turned around. Brett gave me a hug. I shuddered a bit. “Ew!” I said, jumping up and down. I don’t like it when a guy hugs me. I still believe in cooties. It’s supposed to be a little kid’s thing, but it works for me too.