The Flow of Magic | Teen Ink

The Flow of Magic

By AnastasiaVederoff, Lake Forest Park, Washington
AnastasiaVederoff, Lake Forest Park, Washington

I have a bad feeling about this

Diana drops to her knees, her hands thrust out in front of her, pleading.

"Please Charlee! You know Mr. Brandon never does attendance. No one will even know we were gone." Diana begs of her friend.
    "No way, I won't risk it. What if today is the day he decides to take attendance. We would only be going to the mall. It's not worth it," says Charlee as she crosses her arms. "You're new here, you've only been here for a few months, you don't want to get into trouble already."
    "Fine, but you'll be missing out, and let me worry about me," insists Diana, struggling to get back up on her feet.
    The bell starts ringing, signaling that the students need to go to their next class.
    "Bye, Charlee. See you on Monday!" Diana yells back at her already retreating friend. She vaults over the small fence separating school property and the outside world. She casually strolls down the sidewalk away from school.
     "The trick to escaping anywhere is to look like you belong," Diana thinks to herself. "Now that Charlee didn't come with me, I might as well just go home." She turns in the direction of her house, which is on the outskirts of the town, away from the school and the mall.
    She has been walking for a good five minutes when she gets to the edge of the forest bordering the town. It's fenced off, but she could easily get over.
    "Hmmm, I could cut across the woods, cutting ten minutes, or I could take the roundabout way, which is safer, but longer." She says out loud to herself. After thinking for a bit she says, "Well I never was one for safety over saving time." She hops the fence and starts to make her way across the small forest. She sees a small clearing up ahead, she starts walking faster, eager to get to the clearing. Once there she closes her eyes and tilts her head up, grinning as she feels the heat of the sun on her face. She stands like this for a while. "I should cut school more often," she says aloud to herself.
    She is broken out of her thoughts by the sound of someone stumbling through the woods towards her. She runs to the edge of the clearing across from the sounds and ducks behind a tree. She watches the woods where the sound was coming from. She can't help herself from jumping when a boy, who looks to be around her age, stumbles into the clearing. She is shocked to see that he has handcuffs as well as extra bracelet looking restraints on his wrists. She has the overwhelming feeling that she has seen those bracelets before, but she just can't pinpoint where. Her eyes shift from his wrists to his face. He has black hair that sticks out everywhere, as if he just got out of the shower. His eyes are a startling blue, and Diana automatically thinks of a deep pool of water.
     He gazes around, his eyes are wide open, terror and fear evident in them. Diana flinches when he starts moving towards her edge of the clearing, but he stops moving when four policemen burst into the clearing. The boy starts to run but stumbles and falls to the ground. The four men advance on him.
    "You shouldn't 'ave run kid," says one moving towards the boy, swinging a police nightstick threateningly.
    "Please, I didn't do anything wrong! What did I do?" asks the boy, scrambling backwards, but he doesn't get far as his hands are handcuffed together in front of him. He lets out a cry of pain as the four men start beating him with their nightsticks. Diana stares, shocked that people who were supposed to protect the innocent were instead hurting them.
    "Your existence is enough," says one man, striking the boy.
     Diana's blood boils. She's never liked bullies. She can't help it as she steps forward from behind her tree.
    "Stop that." Diana commands. The men look up and glare at her.
    "This doesn't concern you little girl. Leave now while you still can," says one of them walking toward her.
   "Don't come any closer," says Diana holding out her hand as her green eyes start changing. They turn a bright blue. She is hoping that the threat of her magic will scare them enough to leave, and she wouldn't even need to use it.
   "You're one of those freaks too! We should have known you would swarm together." Says one of the men still standing over the boy. He glares at the boy as if it is all his fault.
   That's where she'd seen the bracelets before. They are magic restraints, they stifle a sorcerer's magic. That means the boy must have magic. She frowns at the policemen.
   "You're both unnatural. Louie, get your restraints, we'll take her in as well," says one. Louie walks toward her, pulling bracelets from his belt.
   "Quite the contrary," she says successfully stopping the mans approach. They all look her way confusion showing in their faces. "Magic is more natural than you could ever imagine," she says flinging her right hand towards the four men. She lets her instincts take over. Her eyes flash bright blue and the policemen are flung backwards.
    "Are you okay?" asks Diana, rushing forward to check on the boy.
    He gives himself a quick pat down, wincing as he touches  a particularly painful bruise.
    "Just a sea of bruises, nothing too bad. Thanks to you," he says struggling to get to his feet without too much pain.
    "Hurry up, we need to get out of here before their reinforcement arrives," exclaims Diana, striding over to the men on the ground. She holds out her hand over them, her eyes flash.
    "Wait stop! What are you doing? You can't kill them!" The boy cried out anxiously.
    "Don't worry, I'm just making sure that they'll sleep for a while," says Diana. She walks back over to the boy and holds out her right hand. "My name is Diana. What's yours?"
    "Sawyer," says Sawyer, he reaches his right hand to take hers, but his left hand follows. They're still attached by the handcuffs.
    "Oh, here. Let me." Diana reaches out her hands, palms downward and with a flash of her eyes the handcuffs fall off.
    Sawyer rubs his wrist, grateful that the handcuffs are off. Then he remembers the restraints.
    "What about these?" He asks, thrusting his wrists toward her, displaying the bracelet-like restraints.
    "I can't take off the magic suppressors yet. It will take a lot of magic, and that will alert the Missus. We need to get to somewhere secure first," responds Diana.
    Sawyer tilts his head, confused, "The who?"
    "Sorry, The Magic Search and Suppress team, The M-S-S. I call them the Missus, for their initials," explains Diana.
    "Oh, ok. Does that mean you can't take them off?" asks Sawyer sadly, his head slumps forward and hangs dejectedly.
    "Oh no, I can do it." His head pops up, "But it will take a lot of power and energy, and I will most likely pass out and remain unconscious for at least one day, so we need to first get to a safe place."
    "Ok, but where will we go?" Sawyer asks.
    Diana pauses to think when inspiration strikes.
    "Oh, I know the perfect place!" She exclaims, reaching out to grab his hand. "Come with me."
    She leads him out of the forest in the direction she came from. It only takes them about fifteen minutes before they see their destination.
    "Is that a school? Are you taking me to your school?" asks Sawyer frantically.
    "Yeah, it's the last place they would look. And by the time school ends, the police should be cooling down, and I'll take you to my house and we can take the restraints off. My teacher won't even notice and the other kids won't rat us out."  Diana reassures.
   She pulls him into the school and leads him to her classroom. Mr. Brandon doesn't even look up as she drags Sawyer into the room. She sees Charlee looking at her and raising an eyebrow, she frowns back at her and heads over to her desk in the back.
    "Move." She demands of the kid sitting next to her desk. She sits down and after a few seconds of hesitation Sawyer sits in the recently vacated desk.
   "So.... Is this your...?" Sawyer starts to ask, but struggles to think of a good question and stops.
    "Here wait. Don't say anything yet." Diana tells him. Her eyes flash.
    "What did you do?" Asks Sawyer, staring into her eyes.
    "I shielded us. We can speak without anyone hearing us," answers Diana. "Now you can ask questions." Diana leans forward and waits.
    "Um, shouldn't you tell your parents or something?" He asks hesitantly.
    Diana frowns, but quickly schools her features into a more neutral expression.
    "My parents are dead. They died when I was seven. They were killed by a mob of our ignorant anti-magic neighbors. I was put into the foster system, but after scaring away all potential parents for about half a year I left and have been living on my own ever since."
     Sawyer just stares at her. She can see that he has a lot of questions, but isn't sure if he should ask them.
     "It's okay to ask more questions. I don't mind."
     Sawyer clears his throat. "How did you get into a school? Don't you need parents? How do you get money?"
     "Well, I would get money by buying crappy, old, broken stuff for cheep, then fixing them with magic and selling them for more than I paid, I also have a bank account, and I inherited all of my parents savings. As for school and housing and stuff that need parents, I create an illusionary father and use him for buying stuff. I also never stay in one place for too long. People get suspicious. I was planning on leaving soon anyways," explains Diana.
     "Oh, that sounds lonely."
     "Yeah, it is."
     They both jump a little when the bell rings. All the other students start rushing out of the classroom.
     "Goodbye everyone, have a good weekend," calls Mr. Brandon. Diana waits until everyone else is out before she leads Sawyer out.
     "Diana, what are you doing? And who is he?" whispers Charlee, leaning next to the doorframe.
     "It's none of your business Charlee. Besides, you would know if you came with me earlier," hisses Diana. She tries to ignore Charlee's hurt expression as she hurriedly walks away.
     "You can't let yourself get attached Diana. You know better. She was never really a friend anyways," she thinks to herself, trying to justify her actions.
     "You were kind of rude to your friend back there," observes Sawyer.
     "She wasn't a friend. I don't have friends," Says Diana, already heading toward her house. She takes him the roundabout way, around the forest, not through it. As they're walking past they see several police cars and big, black, unmarked SUV.
    They finally reach her house safely, and Diana reaches into her backpack to get her key.
She unlocks the front door and ushers Sawyer in.
    "The bathroom is the first door to the left and the living room is the first to the right. We can take off the restraints in the living room, but since we are going to teleport we should probably go to the bathroom first. Trust me, it's for the best," informs Diana while she is locking the door back up. She turns around and sees that the bathroom door is closed. Taking that as a good sign she heads over to the kitchen and gets a glass of water. She then goes to her bedroom. Glancing around she decides that nothing is important enough to bring with her, until her eyes fall on a small box. Crossing the room she reaches in and grabs three items. A simple golden necklace with a small pink heart that her mom gave her. She clasps it around her neck. A small jade ring from her dad she slips onto her left ring finger. A photograph of both her parents with her in between them she hides in a secret pocket on the inside of her jacket.
    She hears a flush and the bathroom door opens and heads back into the living room. She quickly uses the bathroom and then joins Sawyer in the living room.
     "Once I take the restraint off I'll probably pass out. It takes a lot of power to counteract the restraints so the Missus will be able to find us. Since I'll be unconscious you'll need to teleport us out. Can you teleport?" asks Diana her eyes going wide, shocked that she never thought about what to do if he can't.
     "Don't worry, I can." Sawyer reassures her.
     "Okay, do you have a safe place in mind?"
     "Yeah, I got a good one."
     "Okay, here goes nothing." Diana reaches out and takes one of his wrists in each hand. She closes her eyes and takes three deep breaths. Her eyes burst open, and she stares at him, but she isn't really looking at him, more like looking through him. Her eyes flash a bright blue. Diana can feel the power oozing off of her. She can't help but scream as a bright light flashes, causing Sawyer to close his eyes. As the light starts to fade so does her grip on consciousness. She can tell that the restraints have fallen off, but she isn't quite sure how she did it. She struggles to maintain her grip on reality, but she is slipping slowly. She looks up and sees Sawyers eyes flash, she doesn't know if it's her loss of sense, but to her they look like molten gold. She feels the familiar pull of teleportation. Losing the fruitless battle against the darkness, she finally gives in when she senses that they reached their destination. She embraces the soothing darkness and lets it pull her down.

Diana can feel the darkness fading as she starts making the difficult climb back to consciousness. When she actually wakes up she doesn't open her eyes. She can't remember where she is or why she got there, and experience has taught her to not open her eyes until she's completely aware of the situation.
    Before opening her eyes she casts out all her other senses. She can smell pine, so she must be in or around a forest. She can also smell food, so she isn't alone. She tries to listen for any clues. She can hear different forest animals, confirming her previous observations, but she can also hear the sound of either a river or a lake, probably both. She is about to use her magic to find out more when she hears the sound of someone bustling into the room.
    "Come on Diana, it's been two days already. Why won't you wake up?"
    Sawyer! Everything comes rushing back to her and she pops her eyes open with a grin.
    "You're awake! Thank god!" says Sawyer with a smile, throwing his arms around her in a hug.
    "Good to see you too Sawyer." says Diana smiling.
    Sawyer blushes and quickly withdraws from their embrace.
    "Where are we?" asks Diana glancing around curiously.
    "It's an abandoned cabin that I found when I was younger. I fixed it up and made sure to stock it with supplies for the zombie apocalypse that I was convinced would be coming soon," he says, his face turning red again.
    Diana smiles, "Smart, I never would have thought of that. I don't generally think ahead much. I like to live day by day, hour by hour."
    Sawyer gives her a wistful smile, "That sounds nice."
    Diana shrugs, "Eh, it's ok. It would be nice to have some structure in life."
    Sawyer starts to say something when Diana speaks up again.
    "Did you say you have supplies? Does that include food?" she asks looking excitedly up at him.
    Sawyer can't help but grin with her as he nods. She gets up, and he leads her to a room to the side. In it was food stacked from floor to ceiling all around the room. Every one non-perishable. She grins at him and he grins back.
    "You'll definitely be prepared for the apocalypse," she says looking around at all the food.
    "Here." He says grabbing a can of something preserved and handing it to her. "You haven't eaten in a while, you must be hungry."
    "Just a bit." She says with a casual shrug. She can tell he doesn't believe her
    Her stomach grumbles right afterwards and they both dissolve into laughter. Once they finish laughing, they head over to the main room with their food. They sit down and eat. Once they had eaten, they were just sitting across from each other.
     Diana tilts her head as a thought strikes her. "Hey, you never told me about yourself. I told you about myself in the classroom, but the bell rang and you never told your story."
     "It's nothing compared to your story, but..."
     "Everyone has their own story. You shouldn't be ashamed of yours," interrupts Diana.
    Sawyer smiles at her and she can't help but smile back. "Don't get too attached." She automatically thinks to herself. She shakes her head then turns to look at him.
     "Sorry for interrupting, do continue please."
     "Well I never met my dad because he left before I was born and my mom died soon after giving birth to me. I went to live with my super rich godfather who hated magic. He is a high executive in this bank that refuses to work with sorcerers. So I hid my powers from him. He made me call him father. I planned on leaving once I turned eighteen, but I accidentally revealed myself by saving his life. I thought he might be grateful," he says, frowning, "but he disowned me instead and set the police on me. I ran from the police, but they caught me and put the restraints on. They thought I was helpless and took me out to the woods to do who knows what with me. I escaped and ran as fast as I could, and that's where you came in." Sawyer shrugs. "It's not as tragic as yours, but..."
    "So you never knew your real dad?" interrupts Diana again.
     "Yeah, I always hoped to meet him someday, but now I know I never will." He says mournfully.
     "Says who? We don't have anything else to do. Let's find him! We can start tomorrow," says Diana starting to get excited.
     "I don't know," says Sawyer with a frown.
     "Come on. It'll be fun. There's a method of finding people that I learned but never had the chance to use. Now I can. Only if you want to, of course," she says. She turns to him and gives him her best puppy dog eyes, pouting out her bottom lip.
     Sawyer can't help but laugh. "Fine, but tomorrow and not sooner."
    "Yes, I knew the ol' puppy dog eyes would work," says Diana, jumping up and fist pumping. Sawyer burst into laughter and Diana soon joined him. They spend the rest of the day exploring the forest and getting ready for their adventure the next day.

Diana couldn't help but smile as the feeling of deja-vú swept over her. Sawyer had his hands out palms up while she had wrapped her hands around his wrists.
    "Are you ready?" She asked. She can see him hesitate and asks, "Do you want me to explain it again?"
    He lets out a breath of relief and says, "Yes please."
    "Ok. I'm going to use my magic and look inside you. Once there I can sense the your magic's signature. Everyone has a different magical signature. That's why my eyes flash a different color than yours. Also, everyone has a different elemental power. Mine is water, and I think that yours is fire." She pauses and holds out her hand. A small tendril of water swirls around her hand and disappears when she clenches her hand. "Once you know how and what you're looking for it's not hard to identify different magic users. The problem is I don't know your fathers magic signature, but I'm hoping since you're his direct relation, I can trace his magic through yours. Now are you ready?" explains Diana.
    "Yeah, let's go." He responds.
    Diana's eyes flash bright blue. She feels their energy flowing between each other. She targets him and zeros in on his center. She can feel herself plunging toward the bright ball of energy in front of her. She gasps as fire pours out of him and into her. She keeps pushing into his magic until she gets to the very center. Once she feels his distinct signature she pulls out.
    "Woah... That was intense!" she says, shaking her head to clear it.
    "Did you do it?" asks Sawyer nervously. "What's my element? Can you find my father? If you can't that's ok, at least you tried."
     Diana laughs, "One question at a time. Yes I did it. Your element is fire, like I thought. And yes, I think I can find your father."
     Sawyer leans back with a sigh of relief.
     "But..." She starts. Sawyer jerks forward and leans toward her again.
      Diana laughs again, "Don't worry, it's not bad. It's just that we will have to continue this tomorrow. I'm exhausted."
      "Oh, ok. That's fine." He says grinning. "I'll go get some food."
      Diana flops into the couch and watches as Sawyer gets some cans. Sawyer walks over and holds out a plate of unrecognizable goop.
      "Couldn't you have gotten actual food, instead of this glop?" Diana groans.
      Sawyer smiles and pushes her plate into her lap. "Come now, you should be grateful we have any food at all." He says as he flops onto the couch next to her.
      Diana smiles as she reluctantly starts eating the food. She smiles as she watches Sawyer shoving the food into his mouth. She laughs as he enthusiastically ate the disgusting mush.
      "Stop laughing at me!" says Sawyer, "Eat your food, and stop looking at me."
      They joke around together for a while after they finish eating. Finally Diana starts feeling the activities of the day press down on her. Her eyes start drooping and her head starts nodding.
      "I'm so sorry!" Sawyers voice jerks Diana awake. "You must be tired after the long, hard day you've had. You should get to sleep, I'll clean up."
      "Thanks." She mutters as she stumbles into her room. She falls asleep just as she crawls into her bed.

Diana and Sawyer stand in a small, grassy clearing. Diana kneels and presses her hands into the dirt. She closes her eyes and feels the power and energy of the earth soaring around her. She gasps and her eyes flash open, blazing blue. She launches her powers out, spreading out all over the earth, and starts feeling for the magic of her new friend. She can feel his large power source beside her, but continues looking for something else. Finally she feels something. It's not his signature, but it is remarkable similar. She can't find his center of magic, she found a place where most of his magic has been used, but not him. She jerks with the realization that the man must not be alive.
     Diana falls backwards and into Sawyers arms as she abruptly pulls her hands out of the earth.
     "I found him!" She says as she bites her lower lip. She is trying to decide how to tell him when he asks.
     "What's wrong? What happened?" He asks concern etched on his face.
     "I... I think he might be gone." She says quietly, looking down. Sawyer frowns when he realizes what she meant.
     "G-gone, you mean dead?" He asks hesitantly.
     Diana nods. "Sorry."
     "It's not your fault." He responds with a shrug.
     "But I did find a place where his magic signature is strong. We could find where he was last. You never know what we might learn. Do you want to go?" She asks looking up at him.
     Sawyer shrugs again, "Sure, might as well. I didn't really expect much. Can you teleport us there, you look a little tired."
     "I'll be fine. Let's go now!" says Diana thrusting her hands into his. She pictures the place and starts feeling it with her magic. She wraps them up with her magic and thrusts them toward their destination. Her eyes flash and she feels the tug of teleportation. She closes her eyes and when she opens them they are at the base of a mountain.
"Here's the place where your fathers magic was most used," says Diana, still rocking from the teleportation.
    "A little warning would have been nice," says Sawyer as he rubs his head.
    Diana gazes around, looking at the woods around them. "I can feel an ancient sort of magic. I think your fathers magic has been hiding this place." Sawyer turns to respond when a sound stops him. They look upwards when a swooshing sound disrupts them.
     Diana and Sawyer simultaneously gasp as an enormous, golden dragon drops into the clearing they are standing in.
    "Hello young warlocks. My name is Gedaliah." The dragon says twisting his head to look from one to the other. His gaze stops on Sawyer and his mouth drops open. "Young Dragonlord, however did you find us?" He says bending a leg in a bow.
     "Are you talking to me?" asks Sawyer looking around as if there someone else that the dragon could be talking to.
    Gedaliah makes a sound that Diana figures must be chuckling. "Yes, you."
    "I didn't do anything, it was mostly Diana," says Sawyer pointing at her.
    "How did you do it? William told me that he had surrounded our territory with protection and hiding wards," says Gedaliah, tilting it's head sideways to look at her.
     "If William is who I think he is then the reason we found this place was because I wasn't looking for it. We were looking for him. He's his dad," she answers, pointing at Sawyer. "I targeted his magic and found the place where he used the most magic and this was it."
     "Your friend here is the son of William, the last Dragonlord. His gift has been passed down to his son. You can command Dragons." He says the last part turning to look at Sawyer. "I am afraid you came to late to meet him. His last act was to hide this place. This place is the last dragon sanctuary and stronghold." They all turn to look upwards as they heard the swooshing sound of dragons flying towards them. There were two dragons each the size of a minivan, one blue with a red sheen covering it's scales and the other red with a blue sheen. They land on either side of Gedaliah.
     "Ahh, these are the last dragons to be called forth from their egg." The blue dragon steps forward and stares at Diana, while the red one stares at Sawyer. "They were called forth from the same egg. An occurrence that I have never heard of before. The blue one is called Lunaria and the red one is called Solarum.
    "Hello sister of my soul. I have longed for our meeting since my birth." Diana can't help but jump when the voice speaks into her head. Lunaria looks at Diana and gives her a shifty dragon grin.
     "How did you do that?" Diana asks.
     Sawyer turns to her confused. "Do what?"
     Diana points at Lunaria. "She talked in my head."
     "That is impossible. Only a Dragonlord can communicate with a dragon mentally. Unless..." Gedaliah trails off looking from Diana to Lunaria, then looking from Sawyer to Solerum.
     "Unless what?" Diana and Sawyer ask at the same time.
     "Unless you are soulbound." Gedaliah responds.
     "Well she did call me 'sister of my soul.'" says Diana, "Wait, what is a soul bond?"
     "It means that a non Dragonlord has the power of a Dragonlord over a single dragon. They are linked by their souls. Lunaria and Solerum are opposites. She is water and he is fire. She is night and he is day. She is the moon and he is the sun. Much like you two. Since Lunaria is soul bound to you Diana, I figure Solerum is soulbound to Sawyer," says Gedaliah.
     Sawyer closes his eyes and sits down. "This is so much to take in. I'm a Dragonlord and soul bound to Solerum, who is fire, day, and the sun, and Diana is soulbound to Lunaria who is water, night, and the moon."
     Gedaliah just nods. "Well young warlocks that is correct."
    "Why do you call us warlocks instead of sorcerers? Are they the same, I always thought that they were different," asks Diana curiously.
    "Warlocks are much more rare than a sorcerer. They are generally stronger, and their magic is more natural. Neither of you were taught and had to learn on your own, yet you are more powerful than some who have trained their whole lives," answers Gedaliah.
     "Wow, I always knew I was powerful, but I never knew to what extent," says Diana, her eyes wide in surprise.
Gedaliah opens his mouth to say something when he suddenly stiffens. "There is a disturbance in the stronghold. Lunaria, Solerum, take your humans out of here." The two dragons nod in agreement. Their heads snake forward. Lunaria grabs Diana and flings her backwards to land on her back. Solerum does the same with Sawyer. Diana can feel Lunaria's muscles twist under her as she launches them upward.
    Diana reaches out with her magic and feels the bundle of energy that is Lunaria. She gives her the image of their destination, and feels Lunaria as she adjusts to their new route. Flying by dragon back is faster than Diana figured it would be and they are soon back at the cabin.
    "We will stay with you." Solerum growls out loud.
    Diana just shrugs when Sawyer looks at her confused. "Well I guess we better set up a place for them." She says, already using her magic to move around huge trees. Sawyer soon starts helping her, and they quickly set up a house for the two dragons.
    "Hey Diana, do you think we could go into town tonight? I want to see if I can fix the broken TV in the cabin and I need some parts." Sawyer asks.
    "Sure, and I can pick up some fresh fruits. Will you guys want anything?" She asks the two dragons.
    "No, we will hunt for our own food. The creatures in these woods will be easy pickings." Responds Solerum with a teethy grin.
    "Aye brother of my soul. We will teach them to fear the skies," says Lunaria and they both chuckle.
    "Okay, that's cheerful. Let's go Sawyer," says Diana as she rushes to leave. Diana looks around and remembers that she has no idea where she is. "Lead the way friendo."
    "Friendo? What kind of word is that?" asks Sawyer as he pulls her in the right direction.
    "It's my word, that's what it is." Says Diana with a laugh.

When they return from town Diana puts away the fruit and starts to make some pasta for dinner, while Sawyer starts trying to fix the TV.
     "Any luck with the TV?" She asks.
     "I fixed it mostly, I just need to fiddle with the channels a bit."
     Sawyer jumps away as the TV starts buzzing and beeping. Diana runs in from the kitchen and throws her hand up. Her eyes flash and the TV screen goes blue. Sawyer reaches over and grabs the remote. He switches channels until he gets to the news.
     "Thanks, I should have just asked you to fix it," says Sawyer.
     Diana shrugs and heads back into the kitchen. She takes the pasta out of the oven and is just taking care of some finishing touches when Sawyer calls her.
     "Diana come here quick! We're on TV!" He yells from the living room. Diana rushes over and sits on the couch beside him.
     "We have no new news on the two sorcerers who escaped and are still encouraging people who spot them to call the emergency phone line on our website." The woman on the screen was saying, as pictures of both Sawyer and Diana are flashed on the screen. "We have recent evidence that connects these sorcerers with a string of thefts. Once again if you see them call our phone line."
     The screen then cuts to a police officer who says. "Both these sorcerers are considered dangerous and if you see them do not engage. Call the police right away and hide. They may look like harmless children, but I can assure you that they are heartless, cold individuals and will not hesitate to hurt you if you get in their way."
     Diana's eyes flash and the screen gives a little pop and the screen turns black as smoke starts oozing out. Sawyer turns to look at her, the shock is evident in his eyes.
     "Sorry, it was just making me angry. Who do they think they are? Why do they make us into these horrible, evil creatures?" She yells as her hand slams into the table. "They don't know us, they just assume and place judgments. And what's this impossible evidence of us robbing people?"
      "I think that they are judging us on what they have heard about sorcerers. Growing up I was taught that sorcerers were bad and probably would have believed it if I wasn't one," is Sawyers logical reply.
      "Yeah, but they fear us because of who they made us to be. I mean, I would never have used my magic to hurt anyone, but then they force my hand by attacking me."
      "I just wish that we could show them how we aren't what they think we are. They just made up their minds and decided to paint us as some sort of villain."
      Diana sits up as an idea hits her. She turns to Sawyer, her grin spreading. "I've just had a brilliant idea. If they're going to paint us as villains, well then we'll show them villains. If they say we robbed a couple of houses, let's rob a couple of banks. We'll be super villains. We won't stand by and let them degrade us like this."
      "But won't doing that just play into their false idea of us? We're practically admitting to be the evil people they say we are."
      "Well for one thing, we won't kill anyone, the worst we'll do is fling them into the walls, and for another thing, we'll give the money we steal to the less fortunate sorcerers. You do realize that we are both exceptionally strong sorcerers?" She asks tilting her head to look at him. "Not every sorcerer can teleport and I've never heard of any other sorcerers who can magically take off the restraints. You are also a Dragonlord and I'm soul bond to a dragon. Most sorcerers can't even turn water to ice. If we don't stand up for them then no one will. We can't expect a change if we don't do anything." She pauses and takes a deep breath, she is about to continue until Sawyer interrupts.
     "Okay, okay, I understand. You don't have to continue. I didn't know you were so passionate about this," says Sawyer holding up his hands in defense.
     "Well what do you say?" asks Diana looking at him pleadingly. "We can ride the dragons and we'll look super majestic and awesome," adds Diana when she sees that he is close to agreeing. She mentally asks Lunaria and they both agree to help out.
     "Well like they always say," Sawyer gives a shrug. "In for the penny in for the pound. Let's do it!"
     "Yes!" Diana throws her arms around him for a hug, then leans back again. "We need code names."
     Sawyer gasps, and his eyes widen. "Do you remember what Gedaliah said about Lunaria and Solarum? He said he is the sun and she is the moon, he is fire and she is water. I'll be sun and you can be moon."
      Diana nods rapidly already thinking. "You can wear red and orange and yellow, and we'll use magic to make you look like you are on fire. It'll be like in The Hunger Games, except better."
      "They could have made that so much better. I was so disappointed. I imagined it so much cooler." Pointed out Sawyer.
      "Yeah, anyways. I'll be in black and white and we can use magic to make the white shine and the black can be real dark and mysterious. I'm so excited, when do you want to rob a bank?" She asks.
    "Well I've already decided which bank to rob," states Sawyer.
    "You did? Which one?"      
    "The Inquisitor. My Godfather works there, I was telling you about it earlier," reminds Sawyer.
    "Is that the one that won't work with sorcerers?" She asks. Sawyer nods. "It's perfect. Also we don't need to worry about security or making sure we arent seen because they are already looking for us. We just walk in, deal with security, take all their money and leave on the dragons."
    "We'll do it on Thursday, not many people would be there so we won't have to worry about collateral damage. It'll give us a day to prepare," insists Sawyer.
    "Great, I'm going to make sure our dinner hasn't burned. You set the table," as she rushes into the kitchen. When she makes her way into the dining room it's already set and Sawyer is pouring drinks. They eat in silence, both thinking about what they had committed to. After they finish Sawyer starts on the dishes since she made the meal and Diana goes to the bathroom.
     She takes a quick shower and puts her pajamas on, then crawls into her bed. She pulls out her photograph from her jacket and looks for a while. She finally slips it under her pillow and falls asleep.
     They spend the whole next day making the proper outfits. Diana is dressed in a loose, white dress that reaches her lower thigh, with tight white leggings under it. Both the dress and leggings were enchanted to glimmer and shine, like the moon reflected on a calm lake. She also has a huge black cloak that when she wraps herself in it and pulls up her hood Sawyer insists that she looks like a Nazgul from Lord of the Rings.
      Sawyer has white pants and a shirt that Diana enchanted so that they lights up like the sun. He also has a cloak, and it was also enchanted, but while it is only white, it was enchanted to shimmer and change, never only one color, alternating between red, yellow, orange, sometimes even blue or green. When he wraps himself up he looks like fire itself and when he throws his hands up the light of the sun shots out.
     By the time Lunaria and Solarum decided that the two warlocks are dressed up enough to their liking it is lunchtime. Diana and Sawyer take a break and eat sandwiches while Lunaria and Solarum head into the woods to hunt.
     "So what next?" asks Sawyer, his mouth full from his previous bite.
     Diana grimaces and swallows before she answers. "I think we should practice riding Lunaria and Solarum. In a book I read the main guy gets his legs shredded when he first rides a dragon. After that he gets a saddle. And swallow before you speak. I already know what you're eating, you don't have to show me."
     "Sorry," he says with a sheepish grin. "I don't think they would like saddles. Besides, we've ridden them already and our legs aren't shredded. I think we'll be fine," responds Sawyer.
   "Yeah, but that's why we need to try it out after lunch and see how it goes."
   "Makes sense," says Sawyer before taking another bite out of his sandwich. They are both done by the time the dragons return.
   Lunaria stomps over and turns to Diana. "It is time for you to ride. You must get used to the sensation of flight."
   "Well that's perfect because we were just talking about learning," says Diana her mouth breaking into a smile. Lunaria smiles back in a dragony way that looks more like a grimace.
   Diana climbs onto Lunaria's back and Sawyer climbs onto Solarum. Diana grips on with her knees and tenses up as Lunaria launches them upward. Diana closes her eyes automatically.
   "Open your eyes soul sister. You are missing the beauty." Diana hears Lunaria say in her head. She slowly opens her eyes and immediately gasps. They have breached the cloud cover and were now hovering above the clouds. Diana gazes around.
    "What do you think my sister?" asks Lunaria twisting her neck to look at Diana.
    "It's better than I ever imagined."
    "Just you wait." Lunaria says as her wings start beating. She turns around and then curls her wings upward so that they shoot downwards. Diana laughs as her eyes fill with tears from the speed. They free fall for a while until Lunaria's wings fling outward and they come to an abrupt stop, then they spring forward and soar through the mountains. Diana finds that the time has flown by and the sun has already set. The sky turns to pink and the mountains surrounding them have the same pink glow. They make their way back to the cabin and find that Sawyer and Solarum have just landed.
    Diana jumps off of Lunaria and runs over to Sawyer. "That was the most amazing, the most exhilarating experience I have ever had in my life!" She declared. Solarum and Lunaria both chuckle when Sawyer just nods in agreement.
    "Good thing dinner is already made. I'm so pumped up on adrenaline that i couldn't stand still long enough to make anything," says Diana heading in to get some food.
     Once they're done eating they do their own dishes. Diana does hers first and takes her nightly shower while Sawyer does his dishes. She then goes into her room and gazes at her picture until she feels sleepy enough. As she drifts off to sleep, her thoughts drift toward family. She thinks about how Sawyer has wormed himself into her heart, even against her better judgment. She thinks about Lunaria and Solarum and how they are basically her family now.
     "Well, I just hope my new family ends better than my first one. It's too late to shut them out now, guess I better just accept it," She thinks with a sigh. Her mind shifts onto what might happen tomorrow, and she closes her eyes.

Diana hops from one foot to the other as they stand outside the bank, a big imposing building with the word The Inquisitor in large golden letters. She turns to Sawyer.
    "Are you ready for this?"
    "Let's do this."
    They stride side by side into the building. Once inside they cast aside the magic that is making their outfits look like normal. Diana's eyes flash as her hands shoot up. The doors of the safes are thrown open. Sawyer turns to face the entrance and his hand darts forward. A wall of flames burst forward and surround the building. No one can get in, no one can get out. Diana twists her hand and clenches it into a fist. Water bursts through the floor and winds around the security guards freezing and turning them into human icicles.
    Diana twirls her palms upward in a pacifying manner. "Well hello folks! I believe you recognize my partner and I. We don't want to hurt you, we just want your money," she says with a happy little smile. She watches Sawyer as he strides over to an older looking man in a smart looking suit, hiding behind a desk.
    "Hello, father darling." He says leaning down to rest an elbow on the desk. "Long time no see."
     "S-Sawyer, what do you think you're doing?" asks Sawyer's godfather hesitantly.
     "Well, when my only family turned on me and tried to have me arrested, I did the only thing I could do." Sawyer pauses dramatically, "I turned to a life of crime." Sawyer holds out his hand and a small flame appears. His godfather flinches and his face goes ghostly white.
     Sawyer grins. "Still afraid of a little magic?"
     "You're a monster!" Gasps out the godfather.
     Sawyer frowns and slams his hands palm first into the desk. His godfather jumps, and leans away from him.
     "You're the one who raised me," Sawyer hisses. "If I'm a monster you're the reason."
     "You're magic corrupted you, there was nothing I could have done." Reasoned the old man.
     "I grew up fearing who I was. You and your hatred corrupted me and forced me to leave everything I knew and loved. I might be a monster, but it's only because I have to be to survive." Sawyer says with a sneer.
    Diana saunters over to the teller, ignoring Sawyers confrontation. "All the money you have please. We would appreciate it if you would hurry. Sawyer, let's go, we need to get this money."
    "Coming." Sawyer leaves his trembling, terrified godfather and practically struts over to Diana. They fill the bags that they brought with them with hundred dollar bills.
    "Think we've got enough?" Sawyer asks.
    "For now," responds Diana with a smirk. They stride out of the building and find that the police have surrounded the building.
    "Drop the money, put your hands on your heads and drop to the ground!" yells a police officer who was hiding behind his car and had his gun pointed at the two warlocks.
    Diana just smiles, and with a flick of her wrist all the guns are yanked from their grasp. She clenches her fist and the guns shrink and shrivel until they're nothing but scrap metal. She can see the fear in their eyes, they have never encountered anything remotely close to her in power. They were not trained for this.
    "You won't be able to escape. We've put up roadblocks, and airlines are on the lookout for you as well as any trains or boats. There is no escape," says one bold policeman, ducking behind his car.
    Diana laughs and looks upward. Lunaria and Solarum were gliding around high enough to be mistaken for birds. Diana and Sawyer both call for their soul dragon in their minds. Lunaria and Solarum drop to the ground behind Diana and Sawyer respectively.
    "We have no need for such menial transportation," taunts Diana climbing onto Lunaria.
    They launch upward laughing. Lunaria twirls as they head in the opposite direction of their cabin. They go that way for a while. Finally Diana holds her hands over Lunaria and Sawyer does the same with Solarum, their eyes flash simultaneously. They were now indiscernible. The dragons turned around and they start going away from the bank. Diana sends out her magic to find a good place to donate their new money. She finds a small school for sorcerers and they head over toward it. They decide not to land and instead float the bag of money down and into the building. Once there were done with that they head home. The next day Diana is watching the news while Sawyer reads when a story comes on that catches her attention. She nudges Sawyer with her foot, her eyes never leaving the screen.
     "What?" Growls Sawyer. He looks at her and seeing where her gaze is fixed, he turns to the TV.
     "After that terrifying event yesterday where the two sorcerers the media is calling The Sun and Moon robbed the bank The Inquisitor, there have been several copycats." The news anchor is replace by a picture of a young woman a little older than Diana. "This is Kaylee Rivers. She tried to follow in the Sun and Moon's footsteps, but was caught. She is currently being questioned by the MSS to see if she has any affiliations with the two sorcerers."
     Diana turns to Sawyer, "We have to help her! You know what the MSS is like."
     "Questioning, more like torturing," mutters Sawyer. "Yeah, let's do it."
     They head outside and Diana closes her eyes. She lifted her head and grabs Sawyers hand, pulling strength from him. She reaches out with her magic until she can find Kaylee.
     "Found her." She says opening her eyes. She summons Lunaria, as Sawyer calls for Soralum.
     They jump on their backs and head towards Kaylee's source of magic. They keep flying until they see a concrete facility looming in the distance. Diana looks at Sawyer and holds her hand over Lunaria. Sawyer nods and does the same to Solarium. Soon they are both invisible. They continue on their way. Diana points out the building that the girl is being held in. They take off their cloaking spells and jump from their dragons backs. Alarms sound as they drop to the ground. Sawyer hand lifts and his eyes flash. They concrete doors explode and they walk forward. Diana freezes any guards who step forward to stop them. Soon they get to a room that's locked and Sawyer easily opens it. Inside the girl Kaylee is strapped to a table. She has magic restraints on as well as normal manacles to keep her from moving, but that doesn't stop her from struggling once the door opens. She has bruises and cuts all over.
     "Shhh, don't worry, we're here to help." Soothes Diana as she hurries to her side. Her hands ghost over the normal manacles, unlocking them. Kaylee sits up as soon as the manacles are off. Diana wraps her arms around Kaylee. She feels her magic buzzing angrily at the sad state of the girl. Her magic wraps around Kaylee and starts healing her. Kaylee starts in surprise, but doesn't move. Sawyer clears his throat and Diana lets go.
     "Come on, we need to go," he says. They leave, Diana's magic still around the girl, healing and supporting her.
     Once they exit the building they are surrounded. Sawyer flings up a wall of fire, while Diana freezes as many as she can. Lunaria and Solarum drop in front of them and they climb on. Diana sits Kaylee in front of her, and they take off. By the time they reach their sanctuary Kaylee is already physically healed.
     "Thank you so much!" Whispers Kaylee. "I can't believe I was stupid enough to get captured."
     "It's not your fault, the MSS is everywhere." Reassures Sawyer. "You realize that you have to go into hiding now, right? You can stay with us for as long as you want."
     "I'm too tired today, but first thing tomorrow morning I can get those restraints off you." Says Diana.
     "Thanks," Kaylee says her eyes looking downward. Diana puts her arms around her shoulders and leads her into the house. Sawyer follows them in, closing the door behind him.

Five months after their first robbery Diana and Sawyer sit in their cabin watching the news.
     "The last of many attacks by the sorcerers being called The Sun and Moon has caused wide-spread panic among anti-magic corporations, and has caused many other sorcerers to act out and rebel. We now go to Susan who is with Professor Marvin Calliope. Susan." The screen switches over to a woman standing with man in what looked to be a classroom.
      "Hey guys this is Susan and I'm with Professor Calliope who is an expert in sorcerers and magic. Don't worry he isn't a sorcerer himself." She says with a little laugh.
      "Well, I've been researching these two and I believe that they are not sorcerers. They are instead what we call warlocks. Warlocks are much more powerful than a normal sorcerer. The skill with which they can manipulate fire, water, air, metal, and time shows how abnormally strong they are."
      "Thank you professor. Could you answer this question for me? Can we stop them? Or are they too powerful?"
      "Honestly Susan, I have no idea. They are incredibly strong and if I remember correctly they have already escaped the restraints created to suppress magic."
      "What about the MSS, why do you think they haven't caught them yet?"
      "Well I believe that the MSS has not been trained to track warlocks nor to work against dragons and don't know how to deal with them. Also the two warlocks are particularly good at hiding themselves."
      "What do you think about Kaylee Rivers, the sorceress who tried to copy them and got caught, just to be released a day later by the Sun and Moon?"
      "Well I think that anytime someone does something radical there will be copycats. I don't think it helps when a copycat gets caught and the original breaks them out. This just causes the people who are already looking up to them to idolize them even more."
      "Thanks professor, back to you Carla." The screen goes back to the first woman.
      "Well that was enlightening. On an unrelated topic, a fishing vessel on the Gulf of Mexico..."
       Diana switches off the TV and turns to Sawyer. "Have you gotten any word from Kaylee? How's she adjusting to the outlaw life?"
      "She's fine, she actually started gathering sorcerers who also want to act against the unjust government. She's like a female, modern Robin Hood," says Sawyer, looking up from his book. He turns to look at Diana. She tries ignoring him, but eventually relents and turns to look at him. She raises an eyebrow in a question. "What?"
     "Umm, well she has been planning a gathering of sorcerers who wish to protest the government, and well..." He hesitates.
     "What do they want?" asks Diana exasperated with his reluctance.
     "They want you to speak in front of everyone. Well they asked if we could speak, but I'm deathly afraid of public speaking, so I nominated you." He says in a rush of words. He then slouches, as if trying to make himself smaller.
      Diana frowns, but he looks so ridiculous that she starts laughing. "Don't worry, I can do it, but you have to go with me and stand in front of everyone. When does she want us to do it?"
      "In two days."
      "Two days! How am I supposed to come up with an awesome speech in two days?"
      "You'll manage. You always do," says Sawyer smiling and looking at her as if she was the best thing that ever happened to him.
      Diana squirms and jumps up. "I'm going to take a ride on Lunaria, maybe I can find some inspiration up in the clouds." She mentally calls to Lunaria, and heads outside. Lunaria drops to the ground in front of Diana. "You called, sister. Do you wish to soar with me?" She asks her mouth opening into a smile. Diana nods, and Lunaria lowers her middle in order for Diana to crawl up.
       Diana laughs as Lunaria launches herself upwards. Diana wraps her arms around Lunaria's neck.
     "Where do you wish to fly?" Lunaria asks.
     "Anywhere," is Diana's response.
     Lunaria hums and heads towards the tops of the mountains. Diana leans over and watches as the tall trees pass beneath them. Lunaria climbs higher and higher until Diana is forced to use magic so that they don't freeze or suffocate. Finally they reach the top of the mountain and Lunaria descends. Lunaria curls up and lays on the edge. Diana drops to the snow-covered rock and sits with her back resting on Lunaria.
     "Look!" says Diana pointing at the horizon. "The sun is setting, just look at it." They both stare as the sun sinks deeper and deeper. Soon the sky is awash with different colors. Diana closes her eyes and leans with her head on Lunaria's back leg.
     "Do you hear that, sister?" asks Lunaria.
     Diana shakes her head. "No, what am I listening for?"
     "Silence," hums Lunaria.
      Diana strains to hear and is surprised. She hears no sounds other then the sound of Lunaria's heartbeat. Looking down Diana feels a surge of power, coming from what she can only guess as the mountain itself. She places her palms on the cold, snowy rock and feels power humming, begging to be used. She throws her own power forth feeling all over the mountain. She feels the mountain's energy coursing through her veins. She extends her reach using the mountain. She can feel every movement. Every squirrel looking for nuts. Every dear pausing to drink from a stream. Every bear searching for berries. She can even feel Sawyer in the cabin. His power emanating from him, curling upward and outward like tendrils of smoke, searching until it finds Solarum and wrapping around him.
     Diana yanks her hands back with a gasp. It's already dark and Lunaria is gazing at her.
     "Are you ready to return home?"  She asks, concerned.
     "Yeah, sure. Let's go home."

Diana and Sawyer stand on a small stage both in their complete outfits. Lunaria and Solarum are standing behind them. Before them stands hundreds of sorcerers. Kaylee leans over and whispers into Diana's ear.
     "I never knew there would be so many. I just told some of my contacts and they told theirs and next thing I know all these sorcerers are showing up waiting for you. Are you sure you want to do this?" She asks, concern etched on her face.
       Diana nods. "I can do this." Lunaria bumps her head against her back in a comforting way. She steps forward so that all eyes turn toward her. She feels a wave of terror surge through her and her magic automatically reacts, slowing time. She looks around and takes a deep breath. Once she calms down enough she speeds time back up to normal. Her eyes flash and her voice is magnified so that everyone can hear her.
           She clears her voice. "So, you probably recognize me and my friends here. Everyone knows us as the Sun and Moon, but my actual name is Diana. My parents died when I was only seven. They were killed because they had magic and our neighbors feared them. The only reason I lived was because I accidentally blew up our house and everyone around us." She takes a deep breath to calm her racing heart, before she continues. "I grew up in the system. But no one wanted me because they were afraid that I would hurt their children. I left and decided to live on my own. I still went to school, but I never stayed in one place for long. I was scared that I would be found out and taken to jail. I never wanted to make friends because I believed that if I ever got close to someone they would just end up hurt or dead. I grew up hearing that my magic was evil and that because I had magic I was evil. But let me tell you that is a lie. An evil lie created by those who hate us. They want us to fear our power, and it worked. They have made us less then dogs. We're attacked by the people who are supposed to protect us. They even get away with murder, and nothing changes. I can hear people complaining, but they never do anything. How can we expect change if we don't do it ourselves? We need to step forward and make a change. We need to overcome the lie that has been engrained in our minds since childhood. This is our world and if we want a change, we have make it happen. With your help, we can change the world."
     Diana takes a breath and steps back to join Sawyer. The crowd is silent for a while before bursting into applause.
     "Wow Diana, you really shocked them," says Sawyer, gazing at her with pride.
     She hears Lunaria humming behind her and Solarum joins her. They throw back their heads and roar. Jets of fire bursting forth. Sawyer reaches out and takes her hand. Diana feels her magic reaching out to his and wrapping itself around his. Fire surges out from him and joins with the water flowing from her. The water and fire twirl around each other and reach for the sky, forming a pillar of fire and water.
     Diana looks over the crowd and can't help but feel proud. She watches as little fires pop up in the crowd, soon joined by streams of water, whirlwinds, and pillars of rocks as everyone let their magic loose. She casually kicks off her shoes and digs her toes into the earth. She can feel the hum of the earth as it filled her with its power. She turns her head and looks Sawyer in the eye. His eyes are a molten gold and he smiles at her. Her magic reaches out and wraps itself around Lunaria, Solarum, Sawyer and herself. Practically buzzing with happiness.
      "We could do this." She thinks to herself. "We could change the world as we know it."