Normal Right? | Teen Ink

Normal Right?

By Sunshinesings, Watford City, North Dakota
Sunshinesings, Watford City, North Dakota

"People Who Hate Need Love The Most"

Author's note:

I was inspired to write this piece because I love to write in an unrealistic sense, all the authors who like to write an out-of-this-world book, have to have powers twisted into it.

Today is my first day of school and I am so excited because this year is my freshman year. I honestly don't care if I'm popular or not, I just want people to like me for me. I want one friend to be with me the whole way.

I woke up to my annoying alarm clock and slammed my palm onto it, it stopped immediately and I went to the bathroom to freshen up. After about ten minutes of brushing my hair and putting on day clothes, I walked out of my room and went down to the kitchen. My mom was possibly in her bedroom she isn't the best mom, but at least she stayed with me... right? I made myself some French toast and ate in in a peaceful silence while I watched 'Netflix' on my iPad. I may only be 16, but that doesn't mean I can't have a job. My passion is honestly writing and singing, I try to write things for people and they actually pay me to write songs for their "situation" I love how my little business is going.

I finish my French toast and check the time, it is 7:50.

"I better get going," I mumbled to myself, I grab a sticky note and write

Went 2 School, see u l8r mother

-Cat

I stick it onto the fridge and grabbed my black backpack and grabbed the key to my small car. I went to my car and opened the driver’s seat, I looked in it, nothing changed, dad didn't come back, Llana didn't come back, and Mom... isn't the same. I wiped the tears away from my cheek and started the car.

Darling Don't Be Afraid

I have loved you for a thousand years...

I opened the car and saw everyone there, nobody waved at me, nobody remembered me, nothing. I buttoned up my blue denim jacket and closed the door, put the strap of my book bag on my neck to carry, and locked the car. Goodbye Alex, goodbye Llana, goodbye Daddy... hello high school.
I walked in and people just ignored me, I'm used to it... I walked to the office and asked for my schedule and locker combination.

Locker 189

Combination: 12, 54, 36

I nodded and thanked them; I went to the locker hallway and went to the locker, 186, 187, 188, 189. I found my locker and opened it, it popped open and I put my book bag onto the hook and kept my jacket on, I usually never take it off, I just feel naked. People were giggling and talking behind me, but as normal I just ignored them and put my things in the locker and then the bell rang so I looked at my first period, English, I grabbed my binder full of paper and a few pencils. I closed my locker and tried to find my way to room 417.

I finally found my way to the room after about ten minutes of looking for it and I walked in and they were just talking about themselves, introducing themselves, I walked in and sat next to a girl with brown hair and glasses.

"Hi, I'm Daphne," she said turned to me, I smiled and put my things onto the desk.

"I'm Catherine, Cat for short," I replied and she nodded, we both listened to the students introducing themselves and when it came to Daphne's turn she stood up.

"Well, my names Daphne and I love to read." She simply said and sat down, my turn was next so I stood up, they all looked at me and I just took a breath and smiled.

"I’m Catherine,  Cat for short, and I love to write and sing, and I write my own songs and play the guitar for background music." I said, a lot of people stared at me with no emotion and some smiled, is that good? I sat down and the next person went.

"I'm Daniela, call me Dani, and I like to listen to music and draw, sketch, and paint." She said, she had long dark hair with red highlights. This continued for about ten minutes and then people sat down and we just talked. I started to write some lyrics.

I need someone to save me
Save Me
Save Me
Save me from the pain
Someone to keep me
Keep Me
Keep me from going insane

I put the notebook away and grabbed my phone.

"Hey," someone said to my left, it was Daniel- Dani.

"Hi," I replied sheepishly, she smiled a bit and looked down at my notebook.

"You write music right?" She asked cocking an eyebrow looking at me.

"Umm, yeah I do, and I write stories a lot too." I replied tossing her the notebook, she opened it and read through all the songs I've wrote over the years. she looked through them and I looked down at my phone.

"Dang, these are deep Cat." She said flipping through the pages of lyrics and music notes. I blushed a bit and kept playing on my phone.

"So, what kind of things do you like to draw?" I asked and she looked up from the notebook and took out a binder. She gave it to me and I opened it. I saw a lot of drawings of people, anime, and animals. She is amazing at drawing. I gasped and my mouth was widened.

"Wow! You are great a-" I was cut off by the bell.

"Well, what class do you have next?" Dani asked, I grabbed my schedule and looked at what it said next to "2". Science.

"Science, you?" I asked, she looked at her schedule.

"I have History, but maybe I'll see at lunch?" She said as she gave me my notebook. I gave her, hers and nodded.

"Sure, I'll see you later." I said smiling she waved and went away. I grabbed my stuff and looked at my schedule, room 378, here I come...

"Have a good day children," Mrs. Kiansa said waving at us. She is really nice and I get to see her at the end of the day... I picked my stuff off of the desk and went towards the door.

"Catherine, wait a minute please," Mrs. Kiansa said and I stopped and went in front of her desk.

"Is anything wrong Mrs. Kiansa?" I asked as I put my binder onto the desk behind me.

"Well, I read over your essay about how it is transferring to a new school and you have quite the talent. It was an amazing memoir about how you felt today, it really summed up the day for you didn't it?" She asked and I shrugged a bit.

" I, umm, guess... I just wrote how I normally write." I replied and she smiled which comforted me a bit.

"What kind of things do you write?" Mrs. Kiansa asked and I looked down.

"Umm, I love to write in an unrealistic sense that really defines how my state of emotion is in that time. If I feel down or sad I will write something that responds to that feeling, same story if I was happy." I said and she nodded in agreement.

"Very impressive, Ms. Catherine. What do you think about joining the after school program, Writing Club?" She asked and I just shrugged.

"I would definitely be interested, when do you meet?" I asked and she grabbed a paper from her desk.

"All the information is here, I'll see you tomorrow Catherine." Mrs. Kiansa said, I nodded and walked out of the room.

"Cat," Dani said walking towards me.

"Oh, hey Dani," I replied, we both walked to my locker.

"So, how have you been?" I asked as I opened the locker.

"Alright I guess..." she trailed off, but I didn't think much of it. I put some binders into my book bag and closed both the bag and the locker.

"Where do you live?" Daniela asked as she took out her phone.

"I live on Herald St." I replied and she looked up.

"Oh, well I live right around the block, do you walk?" She asked and I shook my head.

"No, I have a car do you want to ride together?" I asked and she nodded.

"Alright, let's go.  Actually do you want to do homework together? For Algebra?" I asked with hope of not seeing...her.

"Sure! I'll text my bro- I mean... mom?" She said with a tone of question at the end, I didn't think much of it so I just smiled and we walked to the parking lot of the school.

"Alright and here it is," I said extending my hand towards my car. She smiles and nods.

"Alright hop in to the passenger seat." I said and she nodded and opened the door and I did the same. I sat in the seat and turned the engine on and she put on her seatbelt and I put on mine.

"...alright I'll see you tomorrow," Dani said, we just finished our homework after almost two hours of working.

"Alright bye," I replied, she closed the door and I breathed and the area around me immediately chilled. I smile and walk through the cold air. I opened the car with a breeze of ice cold air and it turned on.

"Finally," I breathed and closed my eyes I felt the fire of ice burn inside my soul trying to find a way to escape but I denied the escape and soon I felt the ice slowly fade. I pushed my foot onto the gas pedal and I felt my water shaking, I looked at the cup holder and the cold condensation collected in the outside on my water bottle and soon the whole bottle was frozen. I looked back at the road and turned onto Herald Street and went into the driveway of my house.

"Mother, dear I am home," I said walking in, and I saw my mother sprawled on the couch with a... beer. I passed by her and went to the kitchen. I put my book bag on the floor and opened the fridge, ahh water. I grabbed it and clutched it and I felt it getting colder and colder...

I ran up to my room quietly and jumped onto my bed and drank some water before it froze. I quickly got out of my bed and shut and locked the door. The icy flame soon built up inside once more and the power ran up and down my arm and straight into my fingertips. I slowly inhaled and exhaled and let the magic slowly exit through my hands. I looked around and thin clouds of magic formed around me, it was amazing and so beautiful. Light shades of purple soon dabbed around the clouds of blue and white. It looked... perfect. I ran my fingers through my hair and inhaled again.

I pulled my pajama shirt over my torso and pulled my hair into a messy fishtail braid to the side and turned off my light. I felt my way to my plushy but firm mattress and let my head rest on my soft pillow. I closed my eyes and the cold soon surrounded me as I drifted into my own world of magic and beauty.

I woke up to something breaking down in the kitchen, I immediately thought, 'Mother...' So I quietly got out of bed and the floor made a small creak, I winced but the crashing downstairs continued. I quietly went to the door and slowly opened it to look at the kitchen. My mother was taking vases and photos I've saved for years and breaking them. I felt the tears build up but I swallowed them and went to another corner. She was drunk... again. I went to the bathroom and locked the door. This was my normal routine whenever...she got drunk. I looked up at the clock and it was 5:09, I looked down and went into the bathtub. I heard more crashes so I checked the door, locked, and found a comfort spot in the bathtub and closed the curtain and drifted off into a world of horror and...her.

I woke up, but I was in a cell.

"Where am I?" I mumbled picking myself off of the ugly cot and I looked around.

"It's awake," I heard someone murmur, are they talking about me?

"I can see that Miller," the other replied, I am so confused.

"Well, should we go get her?" 'Miller' asked then I heard a slap, but I didn't jump, I have heard just about everything related to this.

"We need together before boss comes, come on help me." Miller said, I heard footsteps so I quickly went into a corner and slowly moved my hands together and a small ball of power soon charged and then I heard the key pushed into the door. Closing my eyes, I threw the ball of icy flames and I heard thumps on the floor .I opened my eye and two men were on the floor. I quietly walked over there and saw one of the men had a gruff beard and dark brown hair; the other had dirty blonde hair and pinker lips. I saw that they had badges, Jason Miller, and David Greene. I saw that 'David' had a set of keys so I grabbed them quickly and jumped over them. The hallways were empty so I looked for an exit and a man popped out and then I showed my palm and then he froze. My eyes widened, I didn't know I could do that, I slipped past him and I saw a door. I pushed it open and then I saw grey... for miles. I was hypnotized by the moment and then my eyes widened as someone's hand clamped over my mouth. I tried to breathe through their hand and soon I bit their finger and they shrieked and took their hand off of my mouth so I took off running... I didn't know where I was going... Or how long it would take... Or if I would ever see my mom or... Dani. I heard someone yelling in frustration behind me and I just tried to ignore it and continue to run as fast as I can.

It has been about ten minutes and I looked back and nobody, nothing. I completely stopped and put my hand on my knees and inhale and exhale. I look around and the skies are very dark, is there a storm coming? I smile as I feel the first snowflake fall onto my arm. I extend my arms and the snow, ice, and cloud of power escape my hands. The blue and white surrounds me and I feel everything change, my eyes turn white, my jeans and shirt turn into a long beautiful white dress, thin blue cloth comes in and I have flat blue shoes. My hair is snow blonde and blue instead of blonde and pink. The world around me colors and everything is magical. The magic and power escapes my body and surround me and sinks in through the earth and everything is colored. The snow softly continued to fall and everything was peaceful...until I fell onto the sheets on white powder that collected on the ground.

Beep, Beep, Beep

I groaned and covered my head with my covers. I slam my hand over the alarm clock and the endless beeping stops. I rub my eyes and stand up, wobbly at first, I walk to the bathroom to- wait...? That was all a dream?

"Think again Sweetheart." A low male voice growled behind me, I close my eyes and turn to hit him with an ice beam.

"Stay away from me! Just stay away!" He was on the ground and I put him under an unconscious spell and his eyes slowly closed. I looking down at him and he had a strong jaw, a gruff cut, and cheekbones. I turn my head and some of my blonde hair fell on his chest.

"Who are you?" I asked to his unconscious body, I got away from his and put him in a power bubble of blue, and white. I secure it with see-through ice around the sphere and walk out of the door. I walked down the hallway and nobody was there. I heard a loud creak, so I quickly turned, but it was too late. I fell to the ground, my head was now throbbing, and it hurt, it's like when you fall and then break your leg in the worst way? Yeah, that's better than this, I'd trade any day.  I heard someone's low chuckle, which made me squirm. I felt my body being dragged; my body was numb with only one feeling, pain. My mind went wandering and questions swarmed my mind.

"Is this the end for me?”

“Will I die now?”

"Am I ever going to see Daniela? Or mom?”

"Will they take away from my power?”

The question swirled in my mind until darkness completely consumed my mind, thoughts, and my body.