Desolation of Warlords | Teen Ink

Desolation of Warlords

By LuketheDuke BRONZE, Nunayur Business, Other
LuketheDuke BRONZE, Nunayur Business, Other

The duke is here

Desolation of Warlords:
Luke Beverley
Chapter 1: Villains of the Arch
Inside the grand city of kings, inside the state of rulers and the Realm of conquerors, inside the world where wars were more havoc-wreaking than a devastating plague, there was a high walled castle with fortified stone and iron, bound with the cement and magic of tyrants from the old times. The Arch City, capital of the Archland city-state. Residence of lofty kings and their subjects before and after the Mage Dynasties of the Elder Age. Many confident men attempted to be the ones to tear down the mighty walls of the City of Kings. A trifling handful were even able to arrive at its drawbridge. Never did they succeed, and never were they able to penetrate the legendary Elder Gates of the glorious Arch City.
Constructed by Archis the Magnificent of the Polarin Mage Dynasty, the Elder Gates were one of five Elder Constructs that existed in the world of Chrononys. Warlords from the city-states south of the Archland (the Shining Gates and Splinter) have vainly entertained the idea of inheriting a seat on one of the Five Thrones. Only a handful dared to reach for them. The Castle of Kings (with its curtains of velvet and gold), was too enticing for many warriors of ambition.
Protected by a separate Elder Construct dubbed the Elder Walls, the Castle of Kings (with its curtains of velvet and gold) looked like a separate city altogether (it was at the time of the reign of the Mage Dynasties). The castle interior housed a population of nobility, warriors, slaves, and servants. The Elder Walls and Elder Gates sheltered that population from ravaging warlords.
It was said all it took to be a warlord was a band of drunks and a rich uncle. The Castle of Kings (with its curtains of velvet and gold) was currently occupied by not a despot, not a greedy banker or a powerful lord, but a Once-Knight and his unbreakable honour owning the name of King Harroll Jedrick II. He once belonged to the Order of Servants.
The Order of Servants (better known as the Holy Knights), were a combination of warrior and wizard. They did not cast the traditional spells a mage would, and neither did they use the exact same weapons as knights of nobility did. Gifted and granted, were they, with righteous power by the Creator of All, the Omnipresent One. Their heads were adorned with hair of gold after every initiation, signifying complete faith and devotion to the Omnipresent One’s strength. The Holy Knights received powers of summoning weapons made of pure golden light and conjuring that same light to smite evil wherever it may delve. Each and every morning of each and every day they had to pray and recite their Holy Vows that gave them the Might of a Servant.
A Holy Knight’s code was unbreakable and unbendable. Lest they lose their powers, a Servant was sworn never to fatally injure innocents and the good of heart, never to act in cowardice or shame, never to bear children or marry, never to adopt a position of political power (save the ranks of a Holy Knight), never to lie and deceive, and never disobey the Omnipresent One’s commands. The leader of all the Knights (the Receiver of Words) held the most honourable duty as a conduit for the Omnipresent One. He was His earthly avatar, and spoke His Words of Truth. The Receiver’s word was law, and was followed as one would obey the Omnipresent One’s own decrees.
Everything described thus far lived inside the Centre Realm, where always there was and always there shall be a king. The Archland (which resided inside the massive Centre Realm) was a place of trade and prosperity. Where the grain was golder than the coins which bought its freedom and the berries redder than the blood shed over it. The Realm where the flowers reflected the sun, moon, and ocean all at once, where the rivers were sleeker and faster than a cougar’s leap and the corn was sweeter than a mother cow’s milk.
Never did any city in the Archland receive a larger traffic of artisans and merchants than the king’s own Arch City. Just the sight of the district-spanning marketplace made all the wealthiest merchants soil their trousers in joy. It was the envy of all the Hospitable Realms of Chrononys, and solidified the Arch City as the forever-capital of kings. It was declared holy by the Knights and ritual priests which took residence inside the city. It hardly stopped the anarchic warlords of the southern city-states from trying to invade its high walls.
All of the wealth the Arch City accrued meant that the residents could live in luxury for the rest of their lives in households of sturdy limestone, granite and cement. Their homesteads could serve as a fortress for the poorest warlord (if he were to come) so large and spacious were they. The nobles and knights would usually live in their own towers and keeps outside from the city, riding to council meetings or beckonings from other nobles when needed. The staff and guards of the Castle of Kings (with its curtains of velvet and gold) already had guaranteed bed and shelter in separate housing quarters. Naturally, there was always the lucky few whose duties were so urgent to the kingdom that they would be granted the high honour of being able to live inside the castle for the king’s convenience. And one of such nobles was outside the king’s current council meeting, looking and calling for another person of greatest import to the king.
* * *
“Salnia!” the robed noble called. He stopped his walking, looked around him, and stroked his small black beard. “Salnia!” His labours bore no fruit. Chief Housemaster Parcol Kellston crossed his arms and fumed. He briefly glanced around the hallway, not expecting any sign of Princess Salnia whatsoever. Never expected that I would serve as a glorified messenger for the king’s children when I became a nobleman, thought the Chief Housemaster. Perhaps trouble from the children while I’m warming to them, but nothing that discipline and a sturdy stick can’t fix. Why must the young princess Salnia constantly provide trouble for me, her poor tutor? During a royal council meeting, no less.
“Salnia, dear, your father wants you!” Getting no response from the dimly lit corridor, Chief Housemaster Parcol Kellston humphed and tapped his feet in frustration. He didn’t expect an answer, of course, but the Omnipresent One would rip his tongue from his cheeks and force him to slavery before a servant caught him supposedly trying to ‘miss’ a council meeting.
Salnia, King Jedrick II’s daughter and Second Princess to his Name, was off running away from the council meetings once more. For reasons Kellston could not fathom, King Jedrick absolutely refused to start his council meetings without his children in his presence. He hoped they would provide a youth’s perspective on certain situations, but mostly so they learn first hand how to rule a kingdom. Of course, Chief Housemaster Kellston was already teaching the children about Arch politics and current events. It rendered his job as Housemaster useless, as it was his responsibility to care for all of King Jedrick’s children. Naturally, the free-spirited Salnia was bored stiff during the meetings and would run off to climb trees. It is beyond me why she hasn’t yet fled the kingdom, mentally grumbled Kellston. Oh that’s right, I’m the dog which has to stop her.
Maia, the king’s first daughter, was a right angel and a pleasure to be around. She already knew half the castle’s staff, and always had a kind word for each and everyone one of them. Prince Gann, the king’s first son, was only a baby so he was easy enough to deal with (aside from his frequent spit-ups). Salnia, however, was only eleven-years young and a troublemaking she-pest. All she wished to do was run and climb the many tall trees around the Arch City and play run-and-find with the servants, all of them exasperated afterwards of her antics. Each of them were thoroughly irked at the thought of being the one that had to climb the tree she would be hiding in next, but none more than the Housemaster. Kellston had already broken his foot trying to reach Salnia before, and wouldn’t consider doing it again in his advancing age. It didn’t help he had to use a cane to move around because of his broken foot, thanks to little Salnia and her tree-climbing mischief. It was not a serious injury, and Kellston’s bones had long since mended, nevertheless he kept the cane around to compel guilt from Salnia.
Chief Housemaster Kellston had checked the castle courtyard for a sign of the little girl. She was always lounging around somewhere in the courtyard, gorging on stolen sweetcakes or fruits from the orchard. Yet she was nowhere in sight. Kellston cursed under his breath, as he assumed Salnia had made it in the city at last. Never had Salnia ran past the Elder Walls, but never had she managed to maintain such a head start.
Any way he sweetened it, Kellston loathed going to the city. He was a nobleman, and that meant all the peasants would do was bow and scrape insincerely. Kellston could never get past the small pockets of beggars around the city, always groping his robes for gold. Unless he was in the city specifically purchasing something for the children or himself, he would never leave his purse on his person when he ventured past Beggar’s Row. But he knew it was his duty to find the pest-girl, no matter how secretly relieved he was of the potential that Salia had left his life forever.
He walked the stone path to the doors to the castle moat, waited an eternity for the oaken gates to open. He stepped onto the lowered drawbridge once it was wide enough for him. The guards on duty bowed to their superior and the slaves manning the drawbridge mechanism muttered their greetings grumpily. Kellston stared out of the threshold to the Arch City. He breathed in and out, mustering the courage to leave the castle boundaries. Damn that Salnia, thought Kellston. It’s not right for a noble of my rank to dedicate all this effort for a solitary person. With hesitancy, the Housemaster walked past the wooden drawbridge and headed towards Merchant’s Square, where he would begin looking for Salnia.
* * *
The search was useless. Kellston did not want to stray past Merchant’s Square, but it did not seem likely Salnia would be inside the throngs of crowds. It was slightly suffocating, how many people were about, but the smell of soft perfumes and sweet wines more than made up for it. It was intoxicating for Kellston, the scent of cooking foods and strong wines in the air around him. Sadly for Kellston, the market was never a quiet place. In senses, it only pleased two (smell and taste). It was not the prettiest of areas, being amongst the least open sections of the city (despite it being an outdoor region). The sound of haggling merchants and the false deals of con-men scamming the poor was deafening and ugly. Even in the brisk month of Winter’s Edge, Merchant’s Square found the time to be stuffy and hot. With all of the people’s hustle and bustle, a person couldn’t remain still in the crowds.
Kellston had no better luck searching the separate gardens and orchards of the city. He figured Salnia was going to be attracted to outdoor spaces instead of markets, but she wasn’t in any of those either. He knew the city was too big for Salnia to be in the location most convenient to Kellston, but at least it was always apparent where she went. Salnia always makes a sloppy trail of footprints every time she runs away, why is now different? the Housemaster pondered. Almost a necessity to that girl to run through at least one mud patch. Yet she has not figured the means by which I catch her. Kellston knew his search would be over once night fell. He could request a search party by then. Even so, Kellston searched on.
* * *
The poor Housemaster searched for two hours inside the city and was in the marketplace for the third time in his useless search. He was asking the merchants if they had seen a scrawny little girl of about eleven years when a courier brought a beckoning from the king, saying,

Chief Housemaster Parcol Kellston,
Your valiant search for my daughter, Salnia, has come to an end. Shortly after you left, Salnia realised her err in fleeing from her father’s side. She returned to the council room and we began the meet without further ado. She has agreed to apologise to you when you arrive back to the castle, and I hope she hasn’t caused too many inconveniences for you.
King Harroll Jedrick II

The Chief Housemaster was exceedingly irritated. All that trouble, damn near two hours of searching each and every tree and street corner in just about the whole kingdom, and she was in the meeting room the entire time. Fantastic. No more a fitting fate for I, the Housemaster. Kellston was furious. He pocketed the beckon, and turned back to the Castle of Kings (with its curtains of velvet and gold) in a huff. The courier never said a word, only handing him the letter and running off in a hurry. Kellston was curious about the man, as he had personally seen all of the couriers of the castle. As was his duty as Chief Housemaster, he had previously questioned all of the castle messengers well so there would be no letters gone ‘missing’ in the kingdom. He would inquire the courier later, but getting to the council meeting was his top priority at the time.
Kellston grumbled under his breath on his way to the king’s castle. He would be the laughingstock of the meeting, all caused by the pest-girl Salnia. Smarter than she looks, that girl is. Surely, yet she always uses her intelligence for mischievous purposes. If she applied more to her studies and less to enraging her Housemaster, she would be the apple of her father’s eye in no time at all. And she devotes her time to climbing silly trees and chucking pinecones at guards as an alternative. What a waste.
All this Kellston was thinking before he took a shortcut through a back alley a block from the marketplace he was in. He trusted himself in the deadly back alleys, since the knives thieves carried were smaller than the Housemaster’s. But this time, Kellston didn’t need to turn to intimidation and his trusty noble’s knife, since all the rogues and pickpockets seemed to be huddled in one very large group when he strolled by.
It was strikingly unusual, seeing the killers of the streets appearing to conspire with each other. Curious, the Housemaster slowed his pace near the large assortment of criminals, and they stopped their hushed whispering to give him a black look in return. In doing so, they shifted their bodies just enough to reveal what they were gathered around. The Housemaster strode with a purpose then, his legs taking long step after long step. He did so as when the thieves turned to him, he glanced out the corner of his eye a sizeable wooden crate filled with sharp steel swords and hardy iron plate mail in their centre.
* * *
Kellston held his cane by the shaft and ran towards the castle, throwing off all thoughts of the ever-present aching in his foot. Never had he seen lowly thieves with an army’s arsenal before. Even the most skilled purse-lifter couldn’t nab a paid shipment to the king of quality arms and armour if they tried! Perhaps a collaboration between the thief-lords was forged? Blasphemously unlikely, but still a possibility. To confirm his hypothesis, the Housemaster dared to try his luck. He walked through another back alley, this time delving into the more sinister parts of the city.
Slimy stones and cobbled roads in ruin as the nobleman walked through the murderous Pickpocket District. His gilded knife wouldn’t save him now, as the thugs of the area brazenly attacked anyone who dared trespass their roads and alleys. Acting in a stubborn confidence, Kellston strode loudly through the roads. As he expected, no criminal went out to meet him. He heard several whispers as he walked past each alleyway, quickly silenced at the sound of the Housemaster’s footsteps. There was no concealing the marks of a conspiracy, as well as the glint of steel greatswords, halberds, battle axes and spears.
Even the vagrants of Beggar’s Row were talking amongst themselves in hushed, excited whispers that traversed to Kellston’s ever-attentive ears. The streets were silent around the noble, trying their best to conceal something. He wished dearly for an armed guard or a proper sword. Some vagrants didn’t even try to hide their weapons, such as an audacious pack of portly butchers wielding pikes and maces. They boasted and joked with one another gaily until they laid eyes upon the richly dressed outsider. One of them had a steel warhammer in his large hands, eager to bash and smash the brittle skulls of soft nobles. Kellston knew he would be all but early to the meeting, yet still wanted to discover more. How deep does this matter go? the Housemaster wondered.
He saw peasants trading weapons with one another, seedy merchants auctioning off their own arms, and sour-looking men carrying large boxes stuffed to the brim with a substantial amount of sharp objects. Flocks of peasants gathered around the boxes and the foul-faced men distributed them. They didn’t even notice the wandering nobleman amidst their excitement. Kellston heard the sound of boxes and nails being ripped apart and the mad clamour to grab the best weapon amongst the crowd. Poor and desperate beggars wielded heavy metal flails in which to render all that scorned them, and the harmless purse-lifters possesed claws of steel and teeth of spikes. What has happened to cause this? Not a shadow of a doubt ran through Kellston’s mind of the idea something deadly was afoot.
He started walking faster and faster, then he made his strides longer, and lastly he started running as best as his cane allowed. Hostile faces glared at him from every direction, their blades hungrier than a lion. Fearing for his life, Kellston hobbled off the streets of death, pursued by a dozen dozen devious looks and malicious smiles. This is a nightmare, it has to be! The Housemaster pinched his arm to wake him up, to no avail. He nearly tripped several times, potentially spelling an early death for himself. No one saw wisdom in chasing Kellston, minding their own business as always. Kellston couldn’t see any of the faces anymore. All that was left was the journey to his escape and the end of the madness.
Finally, after another minute of sprinting for his life, the Housemaster saw a bright light and heard a hubbub of jesting voices and jangling coins. Sounds of laughter and drunkenness met his ears and accepted his presence. Kellston had arrived in the Winemaker District. He let out a sigh of relief as he blended straight in with the well-dressed drink peddlers, not to be troubled by diabolical plots and plans of the wretched villains of the Pickpocket District.
* * *
Once Kellston escaped the foul faces of strangers of the Pickpocket District and the sickly sweet smells of the Winemaker District, Kellston entered Merchant’s Square once more. The sneers and glaring looks were replaced with shoving merchants and hasty greetings. The merchants were no longer poor, and the Chief Housemaster felt welcome again. He didn’t see any hidden weapons or signs of conspiracy, just as he liked it. I do hope the king hasn’t yet ended the council meeting. I’ve a word or two to say about the security of this Realm.
The walk to the Castle of Kings (with its curtains of velvet and gold) was rushed by Kellston’s immense urgency. It was relatively painless to go to the castle after the Housemaster passed the noble’s bath-house (making sure not to take any more shortcuts).
Parcol Kellston was at the castle drawbridge before he knew it. The doors to the courtyard were opened as slow as molasses glue like always. The gargantuan portals did not require much effort for the slaves for just one person to enter, and Kellston slipped through to the courtyard with ease.
In Kellston’s opinion, the courtyard was a marvelous place to be in during the autumn season. The many trees populating the courtyard were set ablaze with vibrant colours of scarlet red, sunset orange, and marmalade yellow. Kellston passed a bed of beauteous daffodils intermixed with golden dandelions, the bright yellow accentuating the crimson red roses that found its way in between. It appeared as if someone had bled over the surface of the sun. The trees stood guard over all of them, occasionally shedding fiery leaves to kiss the flowers. Winter’s Edge was Kellston’s favourite month of the year, as the leaves on the trees had not had the chance to completely mask the beds of gorgeous flowers and leave their own selves naked. The air was not frostbitten and cold like the winter months often were, instead choosing to be cool enough for comfort. Kellston was almost sorry when he approached the double decorated doors leading in the castle, wishing to stay and enjoy the welcoming air. I’m late enough as it is, Kellston reasoned.
The guards casually pushed the doors ajar, not even bothering to bow or even say a word to him. The grand doors swung open slowly, purposely taking its time to show off what the castle had to offer. But it had valid reason. The Castle of Kings (with its curtains of velvet and gold) was truly a grand sight. Its double doors at the entrance (one of mahogany and one of oak), were adorned with purple and gold berries on a faded green vine of thorns. The vines and berries intertwined around a gold crown with rubies and emeralds encrusted in it. It was the insignia of the Archland city-state, standing proudly as the representative for the prosperity of the entire Realm and the first thing a person would see when entering the castle.
Past the doors of oak and mahogany was the Grand Hall, the largest room in the castle. That was a statement, as every chamber could easily fit hundreds of people and their households at the same time. It had but one table, yet that one table more than made up for its lacking. On holidays, the frilled silk on the table would be packed to the edge with elegantly prepared dishes filled with spiced-adorned pheasants, creamy potatoes and butter, salted pork sides on a bed of fresh cut tomatoes, and other delectable feast items. However, aside from the many empty platters on it, the ornate elm table remained bare. By the Five, if only the servants catered an hour or two before sundown, Kellston thought as his stomach rumbled.
Even though Kellston had seen the Grand Hall in person a thousand thousand times, he could not deny it had spectacular beauty. The splendour and grandeur of the candle-lit hall was second to nothing else. Chandeliers made of pure crystal and glass lined the arched ceiling and illuminated the room with its bright candles. The marble floor was warm and smooth, using a complicated system of steam pipes to heat the marble and sooth the soles of the weary feet of the castle. It was so remarkably inviting, one could nearly taste the heat emanating from it.
True to its name, the Castle of Kings (with its curtains of velvet and gold) had wonderfully adorned velvet-red draperies with a manner of golden trimmings around them. The stained glass windows which the curtains decorated had all of the Holy Saints in history on each of their panes. The glass illustrated their actions and mannerisms through non-consecutive panels.
The Five Sons of the Omnipresent One, of course, were featured prominently on the dome of the Grand Hall. It told the tale of how they landed to the mortal world of Chrononys and taught their subjects of all the universal truths their Father created and how to live their lives safely and well. It showed them defending the Small Barrier’s workers from the monstrosities which lay beyond it. Magus the Powerful (patron of all wizards and the original magic-user) was the best depicted of the group and the one outlined most clearly. He had a hooded grey robe with a torn right sleeve. Fire magic billowed from his left hand and chronal magic (managing to be translucent and violet at the same time) coursed through his naked right arm. The dome was painted by the Mage Dynasty wizards at the time of the castle’s construction, and it showed. Magus was always the focus of every piece of art, his brothers limited to the backgrounds.
Kellston recalled the first time he set foot in the castle when he ventured further into the Grand Hall and through its display of tapestries and oil-colour paintings. He was but an apprentice to another Housemaster, working his way up the ranks of nobility when he laid his eyes upon them. He recounted his speechlessness at the sheer number of wondrous tapestries and paintings which hung on the limestone walls. Each piece of art illustrated the great deeds done by heroes of the olden days.
Amongst the paintings and tapestries, there was a fur-cloaked barbarian of Kheiniirs slaying a dragon wreathed in a blazing red inferno, a valiant king in shining armour leading his cavalry in a charge against an evil sorcerer’s tower, and Kellston’s personal favourite, a Holy Knight in his golden-silver plate armour sending down his holy light to smite a horde of undead creatures below him. The tapestries were filled with vibrant and lively colours such as yellow, red, green, and orange. The paintings were startlingly realistic, right down to every vein and muscle. Every facial feature and every mannerism on all of the characters were exquisitely depicted. It wasn’t a surprise young Kellston enjoyed these decorations.
I remember the days of when I would spend my entire free time simply staring at these tapestries. The woven tapestries of former kings of the Centre Realm and their deeds were all well-crafted and properly outlined, each one putting their appropriate king in a good light. The first King of the Centre (the firstborn son of the Omnipresent One, Colossus), was shown fighting the monstrosities Beyond the Barrier with a chain flail wrapped around his left arm and a greatsword of silver in his right. He was protecting the builders of the Small Barrier in the famous Stand of Dragon Seikhiins. The next painting showed Hansis the Planner instructing his team of architects of the proper plans for the cities of the Centre. There were several other paintings of kings, some glorious and exciting while some were dull and lifeless. Other famous figures were also portrayed, but never at the same level of mastery that belonged to the tapestries of kings. The novelty of these artworks had faded once Kellston started his studies in the castle to become a fully fledged Housemaster. He simply lost interest, growing more dedicated to his work. Still, nostalgia would hit the old noble every now and then, remembering all the sights and sounds of the castle he swore he would never forget as long as his heart beat.
Kellston had gone past the Grand Hall and past the tedious climb of the wide marble staircase. Of all the things they had to make bigger, the castle architects naturally did so to the blasted steps! They were impossible to climb, and especially a chore for Kellston’s old legs. Even worse, there was another flight until Kellston reached the council room. He was out of breath when he made it up both staircases, to his shame. The Housemaster grumbled in frustration as he realised he had yet to walk the large corridors to the council room itself.
Kellston was overjoyed when he saw the shut portals to the council room. The guards on duty were completely silent, grimly ignoring the presence of a noble member of the court. That’s odd, thought the Housemaster, usually these chaps would be bickering and arguing with one another. Not even their traditional clumsy greetings or a bow. Kellston found he enjoyed the idle conversation of guards, more amused by it than most other noblemen. Kellston waited for the guards to part the doors for the Housemaster. They did so in silence, grimaces and blankness lining their countenances.
Kellston entered the council room. He looked around the room and at the assembly of men. The council room was unnecessarily large, as all rooms were in the Castle of Kings (with its curtains of velvet and gold). The reddish-black mahogany table which seated the nobles who attended was nearly as big as the feasting table of the Grand Hall. It could contain over one hundred if the need arised, and easily seated all of both nobility and royalty. Each cushioned black-brown pine chair had a two-metre gap between them. There was no seat at the end of the table nearest to the entrance, reserving the head of the rectangular table for the king’s chair. While not as magnificent as any of the Five Thrones (save for the Woodcarver’s Seat), it was markedly further appealing than the rest of the chairs. It was made of the whitest elm wood and towered over the rest of the seats. It had cotton-stuffed purple cushions lining the area where a king would physically sit and its gilded frame was distinctly elaborate in its design. It was inhabited by King Harroll Jedrick II, who was the first one to notice Chief Housemaster Kellston enter.
All the eyes in the room moved to the motionless figure once they saw Jedrick staring at him. At first, they thought he was the High Mage, coming where he wasn’t welcome. Kellston, indeed, wore robes that were fitted more to a wizard than a Housemaster. Because of the thick, stuffy quality the robes of nobility possessed, Kellston preferred the loose and comfortably designed wizard apparel. Mages needed the unrestrictive clothing to perform the correct somatic movements for spellcasting. However, Kellston was never interested in that sort of business and didn’t bother training at the Elevated Mountains due to his demanding duties as a noble.
The nobles muttered polite greetings to the Chief Housemaster. King Harroll Jedrick II nodded to Kellston from his elm seat at the head of the polished mahogany table. The king had quite a look to his face. He was old and somewhat wrinkled, but it still kept his stern and loving countenance from his past Servant days. From Kellston’s perspective, Jedrick looked more akin to his younger self than his elderly disguise. He did not hide his old set of golden Knight armour, wearing it alongside the regal threads of scarlet and white. It glinted atop of him in light as only a Knight’s armour could. How I long to know the secret of Servant’s Gold, wished the Housemaster.
Contrasting the bulky yellow plate mail was Jedrick’s mane and small beard. They were once woven with gold but had been bleached with silver once Jedrick was crowned king. It was the price of every Knight who renounced or broken their code. If a Servant was too old and weak to Serve, or perhaps had broken a lesser bond (marriage was not considered entirely blasphemous), they would lose their holy strength and their golden hair would turn silver. They could keep their blessed armour if their superiors allowed, but would lose their ability to summon holy light or ethereal weapons. In a way, Jedrick was able to keep his once blond head with a crown made of shining gold.
Kellston took his seat between the king’s daughters Salnia and Maia. Maia looked at her tutor questionably and Salnia snickered at his tardiness. The king held his hand up to silence the nobleman which was speaking.
“Chief Housemaster Kellston,” articulated Jedrick. “Explain to me why you are three hours late.” Kellston gripped his collar. Three hours? That’s absurd, I wasn’t gone that long!
“A hundred hundred apologies, my lord. I’m afraid I was lost inside the city looking for Salnia.” The king frowned.
“Did you not receive my letter from the courier?”
“I was lost in the city, and the courier could not find me,” gulped the Housemaster, wishing as hard as he could the nobles could divert their attention from him. “Because of my cluelessness, the poor man just barely found me. My fault entirely, king.” Jedrick approved of his Housemaster’s modesty. “He was lost just as badly as I was because of my careless nature, and I’m afraid by the time he reached me, it took my old bones another hour to reach the castle.” Don’t make me say any more, Jedrick. It’s bad enough I have to pretend to be ninety-years old to appease the cynicism of my ‘peers’. Kellston’s apology seemed to convince the king, but it didn’t stop him from giving the Housemaster a raised eyebrow concerning his age. Salnia snickered again, thinking her troublemaking would get the Housemaster a punishment from her father.
“Very well then. You shall be forgiven for your absence, this time.” Kellston kept his countenance neutral and bowed. “See to it that my youngest daughter be disciplined for her disobedience.” The smile leapt from Salnia’s face to Kellston’s as they heard the king’s words. “Onto more important matters, then. Now, Master Beille, what was it that you were saying?”
Kellston settled himself in his chair, relieved no major consequences came from his lateness. Master Cartographer Beille continued talking to the king, and the meeting resumed.
* * *
Kellston was only at the meeting for three minutes until he acknowledged he knew nothing of what was going on inside of it. Bollocks, what is happening? Beille was talking formally about an issue, but Kellston would be damned before he knew what it was. Tired of being kept in suspense, he leaned over to Maia’s ear and whispered,
“Maia, dear, tell me everything that I missed.” Maia whispered back,
“Took a little longer than usual catching my sister. I thought you would’ve figured out that she returned to the castle a long time ago. You’re a bit more professional than that, no?”
“Perhaps, perhaps not. Now, tell me about what happened before I came in to the meeting, I’ve no wish to embarrass myself more than I already have.” Maia nodded, and continued,
“General Eoszar reported the success of another warlord’s defeat. However, he also reported that the remnants of the warlord’s army may have escaped past the borders of Splinter into Arch territory. Eoszar asked my father to let him finish off the warlord as well as sending reinforcements to his army. His forces were depleted greatly in battle.”
“Did Jedrick grant permission?”
“Yes, however it was more of a blessing. Eoszar mentioned that the complete extermination of the warlord’s forces would only take a week. Awful quick for a crippled army, wouldn’t you think?” Kellston nodded, and bade Maia to carry on. “The Merchant Master has once again proposed a trade alliance with the barbarians of the Savage Realm, and once again failed to catch my father’s fancy.”
“Maia, can you tell me why the Merchant Master has been proposing this alliance and why the idea has been turned down?” questioned Kellston in an instructional manner. Maia was confused for a millisecond, then caught on. It was an impromptu lesson.
“The barbarians are an untouched source of revenue for the kingdom. There is plenty of game in Kheiniirs and our fur-trapping industry would double in size. The lumber trade would also grow, and the Kheiniirsians can trade the meat that they hunt in exchange for our goods. However, the problem is with the barbarians themselves. They are simply too unpredictable, and may not accept large trading caravans to their homeland. If we wish to make any significant profit from the Savage Realm, the best we can do is conquer them.”
“And why is that out of the question?”
“The barbarians are a fighting people. Any army, no matter its size or experience, will lose or take heavy losses. Besides, we are on friendly terms with the barbarians currently.” The Housemaster nodded, satisfied with Maia’s answers.
“Continue.”
“The most important development thus far came from Chaiss the Receiver, barely twenty minutes ago.” Kellston glanced at Chaiss. He wasn’t in his golden Knight armour, instead in a matching grey shirt and trousers. The Receiver of Words had long pale-gold hair and the hardened face of a soldier. He had a wide blond beard on his jaw which fitted his broad chin. “Chaiss had a request for Father to send half of his men to the Ruined State of Harkenfell.” Kellston looked at Maia dubiously.
“Half of his men to the Land of the Dead? The Knights have never sent that many of their own on a suicide mission. What causes this request to arise?”
“Chaiss reported rumours he had heard about the end of the war between the shape-shifters and the dark mages. There was a rumour circulating that the Seven Shifting Teachers were murdered, and the following rumour claimed that necromancers planned to strike against the Hospitable Realms. A bold movement for them to carry out, and a troublesome one at that. Father knows that the removal of the shape-shifters could be the last opportunity for the Knights to regain their territory, but he was still skeptical.” Kellston shook his head and frowned.
“There is no guarantee the Knights will accomplish anything,” he ranted frustratingly. “Jedrick has every right to be worried. The Knights had their chance to take back Harkenfell long ago, and they lost it. Now it is overrun by undead abominations and dark mages because of their incessant deferring. Who knows what havoc the thrall horde will bring to the Hospitable Realms without the Shifters in the equation. Fine time as well, what with all the warlords already crying out for the head of the king.”
“Harkenfell was holy land and a pilgrimage site for Servants and priests. They have every right to wish for it back, and this is their last chance for it. If we don’t act, the necromancers will seize everything!” Kellston fell silent. He knew the risks of delaying the culling of the dark mages.
“Tell me what Jedrick did after that.”
“Father decided to be cautious. He ruled that he would send but one company of Knights to scout the area of Harkenfell and confirm the rumours. Chaiss wasn’t happy, but he agreed to Father’s order.” Kellston settled into his chair once more, and listened to the meeting.
Once Maia was done telling Kellston about the meeting, the Merchant Master and two other minor lords had finished bringing up their concerns to the king. Another noble was droning on about his plan to decrease the food shortage in the Eastern Villages. Kellston knew his position was not vital in the grand scheme of things, and decided to be patient. He would wait to speak when everyone else had had their turn. The complaints of a Housemaster were always considered tertiary in the king’s court.
The meeting went over another hour. Several more nobles spoke about menial and trivial subjects, and the rest of them resisted dozing off. Everyone knows it is optional to pay attention in this part of a court meeting. This will not do well for getting my point across. Kellston couldn’t wait much longer. He needed to tell the king of the conspiracy in the Pickpocket District. The sun was touching the horizon, and the meeting would end shortly. When another unimportant noble brought up the shortage of pens and ink in the Grand Library, Jedrick’s eyes started to glaze over and Kellston knew it was time to act. Before the noble could finish his sentence, Kellston blurted,
“My lord, while I thank and value the information about the troubles and struggles of the Grand Library, I’m afraid I have something more important to report.”
“Are we out of loincloths for Gann again?” the annoyed noble quipped, not liking to be interrupted. The remark earned chuckles from the rest of the nobles, bringing their attention to the Housemaster. Kellston ignored the noble’s taunt and continued what he had to say,
“This is far more important than simple concerns of the castle, sir.” King Jedrick idly waved two fingers for Kellston to continue. Kellston stood up from his chair, gazing around the wide room which allowed the final glimpses of light to shine from the giant window. The brightness outlined the scrutinising and scrunched faces of the elderly, condescending nobles. “You see, while I was searching for your dearest daughter, Salnia,” Kellston glared at the mischievous little girl next to him while she tried to hide from his view, “I came across something quite unusual on the streets. Something most. . . irregular.” Kellston expected a quiet stirring amongst his peers at the point of his speech. He was treated to no such thing, leaving him dissatisfied. “You see, during the time I was lost in the city, I accidently stumbled into the Pickpocket District.” Murmurs erupted from the collection the nobles of a mixture of incredulity, surprise, and worry. “When I arrived there, I just so happened to lay eyes upon the criminals of the Pickpocket District. Tell me why, then, why were they equipped with arms and armour fit for an army?”
The nobles went silent. A handful started whispered amongst themselves after the brief moment of revelation.
“Aye, coming straight from wooden boxes containing smuggled weapons,” accused Kellston. Jedrick sat up and paid attention to his words. The whispers of the nobles turned to discrete murmurs at the flip of a coin. “It was not in a solitary street corner, no it was not. Entire blocks were filled with peasants greedily taking weapons from crates. Legions. As I was trying to find my way across the district, I-”
“Sir Kellston, I do not believe that weapons and smuggled goods are your area of expertise,” interrupted another noble haughtily. The Housemaster diverted his focus to the speaker, recognising him instantly. Lord Chourvis Bachio. If ever a demon came to Chrononys, it would be him. “It is not wise for you to stick your nose in business where it does not belong. The Pickpocket District is the king’s property, not yours. You haven’t the right to do anything about it.” Kellston raised his voice to explain why Bachio’s allegation was false, only to be interjected a second time. “Chief Guardmaster Oquars!” A pudgy, iron-armoured noble started from his chair at the declaration of his name. “Have you seen any signs of thieves and pickpockets so well equipped in your streets?”  Oquars the Guardmaster realised the position he was in and yawned out,
“I’m quite certain not, sir Bachio. Nuna’ my men have seen-”
“You see?” the nobleman turned to the king. “There is nothing to worry about, Your Majesty.” He then turned back to Kellston, a hidden smirk creeping onto his face. “Are you feeling. . . alright, sir Housemaster? Do you perhaps need assistance to your quarters?” Kellston’s body tremored and his fists clenched out and in, out and in. His voice trembled as he answered Bachio with,
“I am fine, thank you for concern, as are my wits and senses. My eyes saw what my eyes saw, and my eyes saw men with swords and spears and all manners of deadly things in crates. I saw peasants and beggars strut about with them and brandish them about. There is something wrong with the Arch City this day, and no one may deny it. Look for yourself, my king!” Kellston’s voice cracked awfully. “Allow yourself a stroll in the filthy streets of Beggars Row! The evidence is obvious. I believe that all of the Pickpocket District is plotting against you! I give you this fair warning for your kingdom’s good.” The noblemen did not react. They did not move and did not retaliate to Kellston’s words. The silence pierced Kellston’s ears worse than words could. Naturally. Most make it their duty to take a side after the king has decided his own will. They’ll follow him close enough to kiss his behind, and the king remains oblivious. The old Jedrick would be ashamed of his new self.
The king shook his head, his silvery brow furrowed. The age lines on his face crinkled as he looked for the best decision that would please the most people. It would be a lie to say that was not the duty of an Arch king.
“Chief Housemaster Kellston, thank you for bringing your concerns to me and letting me know of it. While I’m not the one to doubt your truthfulness as an individual, as one must have a considerable amount of honour, faith, and patience to become a Housemaster. Perhaps your brain has been. . . corroded indeed. Perhaps your words are correct. Either way, it does not seem that this issue is worth concerning about at this time, the time of conflict and hostility.” Kellston let his eyes and mouth go limp. He sat down in embarrassment, suffering the stares from his fellow nobles. “I know that the Pickpocket District is a lethal area, and I am certainly glad you did not perish along the way. Frankly, I’m not surprised about the existence of smuggled weapons. There is already a known black market, but I’m afraid it is not the most important thing to bring up. I’m sure the city guards have done their best to find and root out the illegal activities in the Arch City.”
“My king, that is my other concern. When your messenger arrived and gave me the letter that beckoned me to the meeting, I did not recognise him. Not in the least. I had never seen that man before, and as part of my duty as Chief Housemaster, it wasn’t a very good sign to me.” Kellston immediately heard the wrongdoing in his words once they left his lips. Bachio saw his chance to strike.
“That is your own folly, Master Kellston. If you had never seen the courier before, then that would be on your head for failing to do your duty.” Kellston was appalled at Bachio’s brashness, but he did not show it.
“Begging your pardon, lord, but I’m not done yet. You may certainly believe it was my error in not checking the ranks of my couriers closely enough, but I have another point to prove. Aside from the large amounts of poorly hidden weaponry and the lack of trust of my own couriers, I also noticed how oddly acting our guards in the castle were.” Chief Guardmaster Oquars, about to nod off once more, roused himself and rose out of his chair angrily. He shot,
“Excuse me, sir Housemaster, are you debating the effectiveness of my guards?” Kellston shrunk into his chair. All I wanted to do was listen to the council meeting in peace, quietly stating my gripes when everybody was nice and tired. Not today, I see. “My guards are the best in the Archland, nay, in all of the Hospitable Realms! There is no debate about their skill, and I am personally insulted you dare label that accusation on them!”
“I am not ‘labeling’ your men as amateurs, or even simply average,” lied Kellston. “There is little doubt of their prowess in battle.” The battle of going to the Flying Chair Tavern or the Quiggley Winery. Oquars was certain Kellston wasn’t insulting his men and sat back down in his seat. “What I am worried about are their loyalties. When I entered the council room, I passed several guards in the corridors. Now, this may seem frivolous, but the guards were suspiciously quiet when I passed them.” Oquars relaxed his muscles and allowed himself a cocky grin. He knew Kellston wasn’t posing any serious threat to his men’s reputation. “Usually whenever I see the guards, they are lively and boasting with one another. Today, however, they made not a noise. Quieter than the shadow assassins of the Ghost Realm. If I had seen this before I ventured inside the Pickpocket District, I would’ve paid it no heed. But my eyes have been opened. It is too suspicious to look over, in my humble opinion.” The nobles looked at the Housemaster, and guffawed raucously. The Housemaster slunk into his chair, his face hopeless and exasperated. I’m not above admitting the accusation of conspiracy on charges of ‘quiet guards’ is ludicrous. Never did I expect such a rude response, however. Bachio had no need to do anything else to cause Kellston’s shaming. His peers were doing it for him. Kellston tried to explain himself once more, yelling through the cruel laughter. “I swear, this is not the ramblings of a senile madman!” Only after the Housemaster had spoken did he realise the intonations placed upon his sentence was poor. Bachio caught on as well.
“So you admit you’re mind isn’t as formidable as it should be?”
“What? No! I mean-”
“Perhaps, king, we should replace this lunatic that you let instruct your children with someone more qualified.” Kellston’s cheeks were flushed with red as he slowly began losing all the advantages he had in the court.
“No! Please! I’m not insane, Your Grace!” Harroll Jedrick looked at Bachio, then to Kellston. The last thing the king wanted to do was pick a side in all this, lest one of the nobles plot against him. Instead, he opted to open a third door.
“Meeting adjourned,” he muttered quietly. Nobody heard him through the cacophony of laughter towards Kellston. Jedrick was sick of such unruly behaviour, and roared, “MEETING ADJOURNED!” He banged his fist on the table. Every noble leapt in the air in surprise. Without further delay, they promptly lifted themselves from their chairs and walked towards the exit. Maia put her hand on her tutor’s shoulder, only to be tugged away by Salnia. Not a single word more was spoken as the noblemen promptly and swiftly rushed out of the door. Kellston held his head in his hands and waited for the girls to cross through the open doors.
Immensely stressed that not a single person had listened to him, Kellston was about to lift himself from his chair.
“Chief Housemaster Kellston,” the king commanded. “You stay.” Taken off guard, Kellston sat back down on his seat.
“What is it you require of me, my king?” he asked humbly. Jedrick sat with his head resting upon his fist pensively. He remained still for many a moment’s time before he chose his words.
“You have been a dutiful servant to me and my children, Parcol. I value your skill with my little angels every day.” Jedrick paused once more. He intertwined his fingers together and laid them calmly on the table. “While I do not fully believe in the criminals possessing weapons of the calibre you speak of, I do not fully doubt it either. I wish I could take your side in this matter, as it would do no harm to be safe. If there were an underground conspiracy, I would like to confirm it.”
“If, by any means, you consider doing so, don the disguise of a beggar. Much less conspicuous.” Jedrick smiled lightly, and let it fade just as soon as it appeared.
“To act at all would ruin my position. Everything has ears in the Arch City, and it would show to the nobles that I no longer trusted them. Two decades of them warming to a king not of royal or noble descent, through the dung-hole. You saw firsthand how brutal those animals can be.” Kellston noted the tone in which Jedrick referred to the nobility. “What I mean to say- and I’m taking an awfully long time saying- is that you should be more careful.”
“What do you mean by that, Your Maj-?”
“Oh, call me Harroll, no one ever does that anymore,” complained Jedrick. “We’ve known each other long enough, wouldn’t you say?” Kellston was startled by his king’s sudden reaction. ‘To hear the king’s word is to follow,’ as the old saying goes. So I shall. Reluctantly, Kellston replied,
“As you wish, my lo- Harroll.” He cleared his throat. “What do you mean by being more careful?” Jedrick breathed in frustration.
“What I mean is whenever you have a concern about the true welfare of my kingdom, a concern which you believe is valid, tell it to me in private. I trust you the most amongst the highborn folk, that is why I let you take care of my children, after all.” The Housemaster felt a jolt of pride after hearing his king, knowing that Jedrick trusted in his comrade. “The position of Chief Housemaster is equal parts stubbornness and honesty as it is trust.” Jedrick laid back on his velvet cushioned chair while Kellston listened. “Other nobles may possess these qualities and a willingness to serve, but-” Jedrick breathed deeply. “I am fooling no one. The other nobles hate me, there is no hiding the fact. They are jealous of the stableboy who became a Knight and a king in a singular lifetime. The people who have been training their whole lives for a fleeting moment of ruling were denied it to a farmer’s boy. On the bright side, the nobles are too busy having a go at me to fight amongst themselves anymore.
“When I became a king, I thought I would be the neutral third party to extinguish the conflicts of the Realm,” sighed Jedrick weakly. He tiredly massaged his brow. “As Arch politics dictates, the flame was stoked. Instead of unifying the Centre Realm, I divided it. Did you know half of our opposing warlords were once nobles, loyal to the last king, Zaffals Seneris V?”
“Until he was assassinated by that madman, Narkal. Can you believe he once shared a blood bond with Zaffals’ brother? Oh, what’s his name, I forgot. . .”
“Saspar. I saved his life, once, from preying bandits when I was a Servant. I asked for no blood bond, however, as it was my sacred Knightly duty to save the ones in need of saving.” Jedrick lamented mutely. “If only I had accepted his offer, maybe all the chaos in the south would have been quenched.”
“King Jedrick, you know there was nothing you could do. Narkal was a lunatic, you saw him donning that awful crown of thorns. Only after his blade came back red with his brothers’ blood we did realise he was evil. And the notion he could steal the throne after he killed them. Hmmph. It was a miracle you came along, my king. You knew what you had to do, even if it meant sacrificing your honour as a Knight.” The king, in response to this, continued to massage his brow furiously.
“I miss those days, Kellston. The days where I could do no wrong, where with one wave of my hand, all my problems were solved. There was a clear light illuminating the road for me. Now, I’m on my own, and my choices aren’t set for me to succeed.
“There is no more good and evil, no more black and white. There is good with bad intentions and bad with good intentions and the whole thing seems to be a spider’s web I am trapped in!” Jedrick banged his fist on the table once more. “The more I try to move, the more I trap myself in the web. The spider which spun the web is near, Kellston. I feel it in my bones.” He showed his age lines more clearly, beginning to look truly old. His grey hair ceased to be an illusion cast by his retirement as a Knight. Looks like the years have caught up to you, friend. “The spider will come to me when it is nice and ready, and play with me before its lethal bite comes my way. Your account of weaponry in the hands of rogues only confirms it more.” Kellston said not a word, instead letting Jedrick voice his woes. It is better to let a weary man talk to a pair of ears rather than to a pair of lips. “Do you know the story of my wife, master Kellston?” He nodded.
“Lady Gannia. Of course I remember it, sire.”
“Do you know of-” Jedrick sputtered and stopped. “Of the story-”
“Aye, I do sire. You have told me the tale a dozen dozen times.” Jedrick lowered his face in a melancholy fashion. Kellston saw his king’s downtrodden eyes, sad and tired. He felt immediately sorry for uttering his words. “But I would most gladly like to hear it a dozen dozen and one times, Harroll.” The former Knight’s face shined a tired smile, thin as paper yet more honest than a saint’s.
“Shall I tell it to you, then?” Kellston returned the king’s smile.
“My ears are eager and willing.”

* * *
What art the orders of thee, a deed for my doing?
For I love thee truly, a love unparalleled.
Hast thou a need for a service, a matter to be completed?
Fear not, for your urgent servant tends to thine wishes fervently.
Hast thou a wish for companionship, perchance a moment of solitude?
Concern yourself not, for I am your friend, here for all eternity.

-Composition from Chief Advisor Choss Everset to Queen Salnia Pearlthrone I

Desolation of Warlords:
Luke Beverley
Chapter 2: Remembrance
Jedrick cracked his knuckles, readjusted himself in his chair, and began his tale without further delay.
“When I met my bride-to-be, Gannia, I was still a valiant Servant, fighting under King Seneris’ name. The sergeant of my squadron had let us off to explore the city during the Barrier Day holiday, each of us carrying a decent amount of gold. He was a good man. Verrius, I believe his name was. He recognised the wisdom of balancing extreme discipline with leisure. A good mix of both was the best path for him. Poor chap died in battle against a warlord. Ah, listen to me, rambling on like the old man I am. Back to the story. Yes, I was in the marketplace at the time, buying sweetened apples and cider. I just finished paying the merchant and collecting my cider when I quite literally bumped into Gannia.” Jedrick laughed wheezily, stopping during a coughing fit. “Heh. Your king turned around and slammed into her embroidered dress of silk headfirst!” He chuckled heartily at the memory. “I spilled half my cider mug onto poor Gannia, and I was apologising profusely. Luckily, I wasn’t wearing my armour that day, otherwise our holiday would’ve turned into one massive trip to a doctor. She was furious, of course, as it was her finest dress she was wearing for Barrier Day. Never had I seen a woman so beautiful in my life, even with cider staining her hair and dress. I gave her an apple to make amends, and offered to dry her. She asked ‘how?’ and I sent my healing rays of life to warm her skin and dry her clothes. It was a misuse of power, I know, but she was simply so lovely, I had to. She forgave me in an instant once she felt the soothing rays of the Omnipresent One coming from my palms. She gazed into my eyes, and I gazed into hers.
“Such deep pools of brown, you would think her eyes were permanently reflecting a drink of warm chocolate you would give to an obedient child. Gannia was no less impressed by me, either. ‘Your eyes, good sir, they are more azure than the sky and the ocean intertwined, bound with strands of bellflowers and lavender,’ she said while in a trance-like state. She invited me to spend the holiday with her, and I accepted.
“We had such a wondrous time together, and during it, I felt two things not in my entire Knighthood had I felt: compassion and love.” Jedrick’s face lit up when he began to talk about the activities and times he had with Gannia, ranging from juggling several bottles of honeyed sweet milk to win a prize, to horse racing for a bag of gold (neither of them won, but the memories were more precious than the money), to leisure walks on the scented rose and chrysanthemum path.
Jedrick’s talk was filled with energy and vigour when he described the berry picking contest where Gannia picked twice the blackberries and raspberries than anyone else, and swept away the competitors on how often she found the esteemed silverberry bush. She won a giant basket of assorted fruits and berries for her and Jedrick to feast on after a marvelous picnic-supper of herb-basted coneys and salted venison chops, with enough spice-and-pork stew for starters to fill a lord’s table. They ended the day by drifting asleep on the whistling grass fields outside of the city. The winds carried the smell of the ongoing festivities and the dew-scented grass (which was gentler than a feather pillow), the roasting pheasants, the honey apples, and corn wine. The noses of Gannia and Jedrick were sung to sleep, enchanting their evening together. The breeze was soft and cool enough for the pair’s rest, yet quiet enough to sing them a lullaby to sleep. Harroll the Knight’s face matched Jedrick the King’s face at the moment which they spent the night in silence, dreaming about the next day of festivities and excitement.
“I woke up the following morning, finding Barrier Day had transitioned to the next holiday, Ward Day. I was refreshed and thrilled to start a brand new adventure with Gannia, only to find that she gone from my arms.” I remember this part of the story, thought Kellston. I like it even less than Jedrick does. “I thought, in my naïve youth, she had run away and didn’t want to be with me anymore. I wept and wept and wept, planning to spend the entire holiday weeping. It was only when I noticed the small traces of blood on the grass did I realise something else had happened. I grew furious, wanting to chop off the head of anyone who wished to harm my beloved Gannia.
“I set after her blood trail, like a hound I tracked and like a horse I ran. I did not fetch my armour in my rush to save Gannia. Even if it was the last thing I did, I would find Gannia. The morning was not yet over when I approached a cave dark and dank, where the blood trail entered. I delved into the cave of blackness, and ventured a thousand thousand metres before the deepness ended and the dark was cast out by several lit torches. So enraged was I, it slipped my mind completely to use my holy light to show the way. When I saw the torch-lit cavern passage and the silhouette of a woman, I rejoiced. I entered the moss-coated doorway to find Gannia bound and gagged with white cloth, a squabbling band of fur-cloaked bandits surrounding her. They were armed with ill-gained weapons, arguing whom should take her honour first. Before another thought entered my mind, I summoned my radiant blade and smote them in their terrified tracks. Never had those pigs faced a foe mightier than a Servant of the Omnipresent One. Their daggers and axes fell down and their faces quivered in the light of a Knight’s zeal. Their bodies, minds, and spirits were wholly evil, and my sword of light ate at their existence. Each body was scorched and slashed at the same time with every swing of my ethereal blade.
“When the bandits were all dead and sent to the Domain of Demons, I untied Gannia and took off her gag. She began to cry, and I held her. I carried Gannia the rest of the way to her family’s keep, mute all along the way. I arrived at midday, and her family thanked me a dozen dozen times. They showered me in gifts for saving their beloved Gannia once they heard of her potential fate. In response, I said nothing. We both knew our love was true, but forbidden. I was a Servant, unable to marry or show affection for anyone other than the Omnipresent One. She was of marrying age by then, and her parents would undoubtedly be choosing a suitable groom for her. It seemed hopeless, and for the rest of my service as a Knight, I pined.
“When I was smiting evil the years afterwards, all I thought of was her good and benevolent face, brighter than the light I used against the foul evildoers of the Hospitable Realms. When I was receiving orders from the Receiver, all I heard was her voice, sweeter than corn wine. And the moment I became king and lost my golden hair, I eagerly threw down my vows and rode a horse to Gannia. She had been a widow for five and twenty years when I arrived at her family’s keep, her knighted husband of nobility killed in battle against a rival house. When I was shown to her quarters, my hair had been dyed grey by the Omnipresent One’s almighty power, and I was worried she would not recognise me. Her golden-haired Servant prince had changed over the years. It was as I feared when I entered her chambers. She looked to me, confused. ‘Why has a stranger ventured inside my bedroom?’ she had said.”
The king looked wistfully to the ceiling. “Her voice was as lovely and beautiful as the day we first met.” Jedrick sat quiet for another minute, envisioning her face and voice, a sight and sound so often he recalled on a lonely summer’s eve. “And then I said to her, ‘A stranger, you say? Would you like to think back to the moment we first met?’ She looked at my face, trying to think back upon when she met a silver-haired nobleman. I stepped closer to her. ‘Look into my eyes, Gannia.’ She did at once, and saw me at last. ‘Your eyes, sir. . . they are more azure than the sky and the ocean intertwined, bound with strands of bellflowers and lavender.’ She wasted no more time and leapt off her silken bed to kiss me with every grain of passion inside her body. I kissed her back, exchanging near telepathic signals of undying love and faith to each other. It was something I had waited to do for an eternity’s eternity.” Jedrick smiled blissfully as he remembered his most treasured moment in his life with Gannia. “Our first kiss. Not confined by a strict code of Knights and not hindered by a noble’s demanding lifestyle. They had shared a single, wonderful, marvelous kiss that neither of them would’ve given up for the world. They were happy together, and were declared to be married on the eve of the second week of Grains End, on Barrier Day.
Their wedding ceremony was said to be one of the finest in all of the Hospitable Realms. “Everything was perfect,” gaily laughed Jedrick. “Gannia and her house were happy, I was happy, and all of the guests which had the privilege of attending the wedding were happy. I had found a bride quicker than expected, and the nobles were even angrier than when I robbed them of their throne. Ha! They can have their soulless and bitter politics, I was the merriest man on Chrononys when I wed Gannia! Sadly, the throne of a king they had sought themselves, and assassination plans were formed shortly afterwards. But for the time, even the most elderly and stuck-up noble couldn’t find a singular fault in my wedding.
“There was singing, dancing, laughing, jesting, and the wine flowed freely to large and begging goblets. Your poor king was drunk after his first goblet of spiced raspberry-apple wine, never having alcohol meet my lips once in my life. Holy Knights were discouraged from drinking anything other than water, and my senses weren’t used to the taster of Arch wine. Despite this (or because of this), I had more fun and enjoyment from the ceremony than anyone. Gannia nearly split her gut laughing at her betrothed love’s drunken antics!” Jedrick took a break from his tale to guffaw roaringly. He continued his laughing fit for a full ten seconds. “Apologies, Kellston. I haven’t laughed like this for so long. Back to the story, no more time wasted.
“For the music and entertainment, I hired the Mad Menagerie of Minstrels (the most famous and skilled collection of bards) to perform. They provided the most marvelous and impressive tunes for dancing and drinking, didn’t they?”
“Even when they took breaks, they told their wild and fantastical tales to all who would listen before strumming their lutes and blowing their flutes again,” chuckled Kellston. “The melodies they played were so fast-paced and rhythmic you would swear the frenzied tempo would send you into a trance.”
“They most definitely depended on that rather than the lyrics.”
“Would you call nonsensical babble they used to fill the slow parts lyrics?”
“Well, when they did formulate complete words and thoughts, we were always treated to a humorous satire or an overblown adventure tale of the bumbling ‘Sir Greegis the Knight’.”
“Sir Greegis the Knight!” laughed Kellston. “You were too drunk to be offended by this, thank the Five. I don’t believe your younger self would’ve known that they didn’t take themselves too seriously.”
“No, no I wouldn’t have. Ah, I loved those minstrels. Such delights.”
“What was your favorite part of the wedding besides Gannia and the bards, my king?”
“As much a pleasure as the Mad Menagerie of Minstrels and my wife were, the food is what made the wedding what it was. You were hired as the caterer for the wedding, I remember. I made sure you spared no expense.”
“Of course not, Your Grace, I knew how much Gannia meant to you. Only the finest wine and most delectable platters I bought for the wedding. A trio of renown chefs prepared and perfected the dishes for the wedding, if you remember. Oregano pumpernickel-stuffed moist turkey, extra-salted chopped rabbit garlic broth, roasted pork adorned with potatoes mashed to a creamy paste, and other delicacies which the chefs refused to name in pride.”
“There was one curious platter of small rolled balls of food, which was gone faster than one could speak. No one knew what was used for the meat, or what was inside its soft centre. A mystery spice was used inside it, and despite several offers for the recipe, the chefs refused to give out the secret to their dish. What was it, do you know, Kellston?”
“No, no, of course not. I think I knew the least about the trio’s dishes, in fact.”
“A pity. Those little morsels went perfectly with the corn wine.”
“Oh, yes, the corn wine. Surely the crowning jewel of the wedding, not to mention the priciest.”
“Four crates of corn wine were brought in, correct?”
“No, five crates. And ten crates of blackberry-strawberry wine, fifteen crates of raspberry-grape wine, ten crates of juniper berry wine, eleven crates of apple-grape wine, sixteen crates of raspberry-apple wine, and many other types of wine that I lost count of.” Jedrick stroked his beard.
“Oh my. I-I had no idea how many wines we had bought. I’m sorry if this bothered you.
“Don’t you fret, it was for your wedding. Besides, I think the kingdom could afford to spend a little bit.”
“Aye, we weren’t stretching our army thin as parchment combating the warlords of the south back then. Our gold was right where it belonged: in our purses.” The silence which followed Jedrick’s word was deafening. Kellston scratched the back of his neck, breaking the quiet awkwardness with,
“What was your favourite wine at the wedding, Your Majesty?”
“Oh, I simply adored the pomegranate-peach wine, the most fermented of the wines. It kept just enough sweetness to rank it up with the other fruit and berry wines, even the corn wine. Of course, the corn wine was my favourite of all, no question. Never had there been a larger collection of corn wine in all of the Archland, can you believe it? Only a couple bottles have existed in a single place at a single time, but five at one wedding? Oh, those nobles were jealous, all right. If the luckiest man in the world was lucky, his guests would be treated to two or three crates, but five is an entirely different number altogether!”
“I need not note how I cringed when I saw the price of the wedding once I ordered the corn wines.”
“But it was worth every copper piece once the guests unanimously praised the gathering all the more once the rare corn wine met their lips. Many assassination plans were created that day, and many assassination plans were cancelled that day. Never underestimate the power of good drink, friend.” Jedrick roared in laughter at his own joke, longer and louder than he had done before. “All joking aside, the wedding benefitted the kingdom in more ways than one. Trade alliances were made that day by drunken merchant-lords and our crafty nobles. If I correctly recall, the trades made from that day forward more than made up the lofty cost of the wedding. Most of these alliances were made by you, Parcol Kellston. You did not touch a drop of wine that day, and you formed three powerful friendships for the kingdom.” Kellston blushed in embarrassment.
“Oh, they weren’t that important, my king,” he chuckled modestly.
“Your dedication and soberness was rewarded with a prime position as Chief Housemaster, rightfully so.”
“The previous one had quite mysteriously drowned in his own goblet of wine during the wedding.”
“Most unusual,” commented Jedrick.
“Aye. Many nobles cursed my name once I took the title Chief Housemaster the following week.”
“It seems that even in the grandest wedding of our time the nobles still have their greedy mindset. How could they though, when Gannia and I hogged all of the fun to be had?” Kellston was slightly miffed at the king’s sudden transition. A tad rude, but I’ll be damned if I mention it to the king. “No one had more of a merry time than the bride and the groom. We danced to the Minstrels’ tunes and drank our weight in sweet wine. We could show their love openly, and no regrets came from me in my abandoning of Servanthood. We would have a life of living well in the Castle of Kings, with its curtains of velvet and gold, and nothing could make us depressed that day. Responsibility would strike me like a bolt from the skies the years following, but for that singular day, that joyous and happy day, I would be carefree and jolly and filled to my brow with love.
“Finally, late in the evening when the festivities were exhausted, the drunk and woozy guests attended the anointment of our holy bond. A priest saw us kneeling with our heads exposed, and poured cool holy water from a wooden chalice atop our heads while his attendants placed golden laurels upon our ears. We drank the water that remained from the same wooden chalice while he said the proper rights which blessed our marriage The moment we drank the last drops from the chalice, he said, ‘Let your marriage last this life and the next,’ and kissed our foreheads. We were married, and I was happier than any moment again in my life.” Jedrick sat back, tired from retelling such a tale. Not over yet, now is it? There are still parts of the tale where Jedrick shall wince. “After the wedding was over and the guests went to their homes, Gannia and I went to our quarters. I was exhausted from the day’s events, and I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillows. Gannia decided to retire at the same time as I, kissing my head and saying, ‘good night, love.’
“The following morning, my head was pounding and ringing, no doubt from all of the wines at the wedding. I groggily descended to the Grand Hall, where the servants were setting the tables for the royalty and nobility that took residence inside the castle. All I wished for was some bacon and eggs to dine on for breakfast, but to my sleep-filled eyes, the table was filled with cinnamon-sugar roll, butter on toasted bread, omelettes with three different cheeses, a plate of circular pastries I recognised later as ‘waffles’, and the largest collection of jams than I had ever seen in my life. Alongside these dishes were jugs and jugs of coffee with the richest cream and the sweetest sugar.”
I asked the Housemaster overseeing the servants, ‘What is all this food for? I did not invite anyone to breakfast this morning.’ The Housemaster answered, ‘This is your breakfast, milord. Tuck in before it gets cold.’ I noticed several other nobles, included Gannia, had already sat down and began piling their plates with more food than I would know what to do with. I inquired, ‘Where are the bacon and eggs, good sir?’ He answered, ‘The bacon is coming from the stove, milord, along with the sausages. The eggs are at the ends and middle of the table.’ Large plates of eggs in every style were, indeed, sitting in their places. I didn’t even see the yolk-up eggs. I then said, ‘Why do the bacon and sausages need to be in a stove? Wouldn’t they taste equally as good if on an open flame?’ The Housemaster replied, ‘Perhaps, sir, but that is not how we do things in this castle. Surely, Holy Knights have had stove-cooked bacon before.’ I said in an annoyed manner, ‘No, good Housemaster, Knights live a simple lifestyle, don’t you know that? We eat bacon and sausages from an open fire! The highest luxury we were allowed were double rations on holidays! We crack our own eggs yolk-up, whether we like it or not.’ The Housemaster said, ‘Perhaps it was different when you were a Servant. But you are a king, and our chefs would be insulted if you merely ate bacon and eggs. Do you not see our selection, sire? Most people would die for this sort of meal.’”
A thought struck right me then and there. I said back to the noble, ‘Yes, most people would. Good sir, what do you do with all the food the nobles and staff don’t eat?’ He answered, ‘Why, we feed them to the swine, of course.’ I decided to wield my kingly power for the first time, and I spoke loudly and clearly for all the hall to hear, ‘This is a command from your king. You will only cook what is necessary for nourishment for the nobles and staff from this day forth. Any additional cooking materials will be made into food and distributed to the poor. There will be no wastefulness in my castle.’ The nobles looked at me incredulously. The plumper ones cried out in anger, displeased with this new rule. The Housemaster gawked at me, but I stood by my order. ‘You all heard me,’ I said. ‘After you are done eating, take all the food left and give it to the needy. And tell the chefs we will be having a simple lunch this noon, sandwiches and turkey. Save holidays, every day we shall have smaller meals. By the king’s command.’ The nobles knew not what to say. I turned to the Housemaster and ordered, ‘Go and fetch a scribe. I want to make my order apparent to all of the nobles.’ He said back to me, ‘Your Majesty, the chefs have already began preparing lunch. I have no idea where a scribe may be, and there isn’t a specialised food distributor team.’ I growled in frustration, and yelled for someone to fetch a scribe. I recall that you were the one to find the scribe which wrote down my command that day, Kellston.”
“Yes, sire, I indeed found a scribe for you that day.”
“Ah, yes,” chuckled Jedrick. “You were there, I completely forgot!”
“I was only a simple Housemaster back then. It was the day after that day you appointed me the most honourable role of Chief Housemaster. Only after the previous Chief Housemaster was confirmed dead, may his spirit rest in the Domain of Angels.”
“Ah, that stuck-up buffoon wouldn’t have been fit to handle my children anyways. I made the right choice when I made you Chief Housemaster.”
“Thank you, my lord,” chuckled Kellston, once again flattered. “It was the same day the first assassins started to arrive, I believe.” Jedrick’s face drooped when he remembered that, and Kellston immediately regretted opening his mouth.
“Aye, the assassins. I thought I had at least another month of peace before the nobles would grow vengeful. I suppose I stretched my kingly power too often, if that is possible. I wouldn’t have expect the nobles to commit murder after a decree of shorter meals, but perhaps I was too harsh when I outlawed levies for farmers and raised the taxes for nobility.”
“I do not lie when I say that maneuver was much too forward and risky for your very first week of ruling. One shudders to think if you hadn’t increased the taxes for the farmers to appease the nobles. You could’ve set the entire city to war if you weren’t careful!”
“The nobles were drowning in their own wealth!” growled the king as he slammed his fist onto the table. “It’s unfair that farmers have to pay annual levies and taxes, whilst the nobles dally about with purses heavier than lead! I don’t even think they bother paying the taxes, since they are the ones to count them! Can they not see that trade has doubled ever since the farmers were able to keep their crop haul without interference from the government? And with more coin at hand, they can buy better equipment and therefore, more farmhands and more land! No one would have to go hungry or jobless if the nobles would just listen and accept change. There would be no need for those levies if there were no more wars, if half of the noble families hadn’t seceded from the kingdom! We wouldn’t be having a serious warlord crisis if the nobles had accepted their rightful king! I think it’s a much more balanced system for the kingdom to buy their army’s food instead of stealing it from the people! Even when I added a single levy per year, smaller than the original two levies per year issued to the farmers, the nobles still weren’t happy! And the farmers complained, ‘Can’t the king make up his mind? Can’t he give us our grains anymore?’ All thanks to the damned nobles! It’s their fault they want to squander money on irrelevant issues, thus having to be disciplined like spoiled children. They whine and bicker like juveniles as well, the similarities are striking. Come to think of it, I wonder if their positions would be better off when given to the children they so act like! See how they like it then!” Jedrick didn’t even realise he had stood up in anger, sitting back down while trying to control his breath. Kellston looked involuntarily shocked. Undoubtedly, Jedrick has lost his mind. Shall I mention it to him? Of course not.
“Harroll, my king, You needn’t worry about the topic of fewer levies on this day. The mistake has been rectified.”
“Only after the nobles sent the killers of the slums after me. I would have died had their knives touched my throat. Once again, I owe you my life for informing me the exact date on which the assassins would strike.”
“They were second-stringers, unprofessional. Hardly worth the effort on both of our parts, I’m afraid. The rest of the nobles wouldn’t speak to me for another two years! The Omnipresent One must have been on your side at the time of the later assassins’ attempts.”
“Only He could’ve given me the superior senses to detect that shadow assassin.”
“The last attack.” Kellston remembered the day as if it was yesterday. “Not even the Omnipresent One could’ve protected you from a fully-fledged X’Shiexxe killer. Those murderers are below his light in their dark Realm of eternal shadows. He had granted your final boon by sending an apprentice to do a master’s job. Even then, the chances were slim.”
“The nobles seemed to stop the flow of would-be king killers after that,” laughed Jedrick. “Sobered up, they were, when they saw that shadow assassin’s head on a silver plate at the council meeting.” Both the men shared a laugh, recalling the looks upon the face of the nobles whom had conspired against the king.
“Did you see how Armad Hannis ran until his own guards caught him?”
“Oh, yes, the look on his face when they told me that he was the one who sent the killer after me!” The king and his Housemaster laughed and laughed and laughed. Perhaps in hindsight, memories are entertaining and fun. But it had been no laughing matter at the scene itself, a small thing for Jedrick to forget. The measures he went to to tighten the powers the nobility had. He forgot how he assigned each of us a ‘guard’ for our protection from ‘assassins’. Those unpleasant times.
“Anyhow, I digress. I sent for the castle inquisitors to interrogated all of the nobles present at the council meeting. Gannia was not happy when she saw her fellow nobles being questioned. Of course, she was spared, but her family members weren’t. She demanded to know why I was interrogating the nobles without a writ from the magistrate. I told her, ‘A writ is not needed when a shadow assassin is involved.’ Gannia did not accept my reply. She demanded the name of the noble who would dare do such a thing and called for a courier to send for the magistrate. ‘There will be no more investigation if the noble who conspired against you has been found,’ she said. ‘He must be tried in court.’ I replied to her, ‘He will be put to death without a trial tomorrow morning. I am aware of a special skill nobles possess to wriggle themselves out of an uncomfortable situation.’ Gannia was furious. She wanted to know why the noble would be executed with no way to prove his guilt. I remained mute as a eunuch. She said not a word to me as she stormed out of the council room.
“The next morning, I awoke without Gannia at my side. She was still angry at me, and I wouldn’t have expected her to accompany me in the night anyways. I sent for the royal executioner, and we went down to kill the treacherous nobleman. We went down to the dungeons of the castle, only to find that Armad Hannis had been freed in the dark of the night. We questioned the guards patrolling, and they revealed that a slim stranger disguised as the executioner had came to retrieve Hannis. They would’ve been discharged from their positions right then and there had they not told us where they suspected the false executioner went. They kept their jobs because of keen ears for gossip.
“Very soon, we had fetched a horse and rode to the Hannis Keep where the guards told us to go. Their words were truthful, and we were caught up with the traitor Hannis before morning’s end. He and the false executioner had foolishly walked to the stone stronghold instead of taking a steed. We took off the false executioner’s hood, revealing the sour face of my sweet Gannia underneath. She resisted all she could, but I took her aside. Hannis was begging and pleading not to kill him, to give him a fair trial, slobbering like a dog all the way to the end. He told us he was the one which conspired against me, and said he would flee the Realm so long as we let him go. I struck him with my naked hand to quiet him down. We didn’t pray for the Omnipresent One to save his soul. The executioner knocked him down to his knees and chopped off his head without delay.” Jedrick looked sadder than he was before. “I made her watch,” he said wearily. “I stood there, face blanker than a gambler’s, holding her jaw to make her gaze upon the justice dealt to Hannis. His head rolled and bled all across the grassy field. Tears went down Gannia’s eyes, unbelieving to what she saw. She looked to me with wide and wet eyes, pleading silently for. . . something. I know not what it was, even today. We rode back to the Arch City, and it was plain in Gannia’s eyes that her energy and vigour was deflated.
“Her state was not changed when we arrived back at the castle. For years, she remained in the same mood, and kept the same sullen face every time I saw her. She was already pregnant when she started avoiding me altogether. She slept in separate quarters simply to spite me, but I kept checking on her, if she was well. She wouldn’t even show her face to me. Gannia always pretended she was asleep. I would talk to her, pleading on my knees for her to join my side. It was as if we weren’t even married,the solemn vow we made meaningless. Eventually, I stopped.
“For another month, I left her alone to herself, and I never knew she had her baby until she sent her handmaiden to tell me straight after she gave birth. I rushed to her quarters in a hurry, and saw her cradling the baby to sleep. Gannia seemed. . . gentler when I saw her nursing the baby. She was contained and no longer spiteful. It was a welcome change, but I didn’t know what to expect of it. Was she playing a game with me, or was her heart truly content? Childbirth is an exhausting process, but I never would have expected Gannia to change her adamant mind after it. I had entered her quarters, and I saw the most lovely face I hadn’t seen for eight months. In her arms she carried a beautiful baby girl, whom wailed and screamed healthily when she heard me. I rushed to her side, and she smiled when I kissed the little girl in her lap. We named her Maia.” Kellston hid a smile. I can’t believe Jedrick has forgotten it. I was the one who had birthed and cleaned the baby girl. I was the first person to see Maia. Oh well, then. “It seemed that Gannia had forgiven me. The miserable period of my life was over, and the love between us was struck anew.
“We spent another two years with each other, happier than a pair of seamen arriving home. Six years later, we had another daughter, Salnia. She was even louder than Maia when she arrived. Ah, yes, you know how it went after that. A normal, happy life for us. Normal and happy as a life of a king and queen could become, at any rate. Nothing to worry about, nothing to complain about, so long as we had each other. All the dratted nobles in the world couldn’t have stopped our love. They could whine and bicker all they want, they couldn’t deter our love. If they were moaning about my latest order, I would just think of her face, and all my problems would be dissolved in a candle-flicker. I only wish I saw her more instead of ruling this blasted kingdom. Poor Maia and Salnia, they had to grow up without their father half of the time. Oh, how the nobles would complain of the noise from the babes. If only I could complain of the noise from them!” The king stopped to have a hearty laugh from his own joke, continuing on until he had a coughing fit. He cleared his throat, and went on with his story, “Well, that was fine and good, yes it was, and we had a marvelous time together.” Jedrick lifted himself from his chair. “Yes, yes, that’s the end of the story. I’ll be retiring to my quarters now-”
“Sir, there’s more.” Jedrick paused halfway from getting out of his chair. “You and I both know how it goes.” The king breathed deeply and closed his eyes. He exhaled, and sat back down.
“Apologies, sir Kellston. The memories are fading away, every memory except the ones I want to leave. Perhaps that is a good thing. Tragedy must be stored inside the mind somewhere for future referral and knowledge. That is how wisdom is formed: you must have memories of the bad times. My mind is willing to let go of my depressing memories, but my heart says otherwise. The more memories you have, the more things you’ll have to compare to the current situation, and the wiser you’ll be to handle the situation. What was that old poem that said this? I forget its name. Ah, I’ll think about it later. What I always say is the senile professor with a thousand thousand experiences will be chosen over the brilliant professor with none, that’s what I say.” Jedrick held his chin pensively. “Perhaps that saying needs some work, now that I say it aloud. That is why I am a king instead of a philosopher, I suppose. But I’m getting off-the-topic once more. Remind me, Kellston, when I wander off into my own realm of mind.” The Housemaster nodded curtly. “Gannia and I were happy to no end when she discovered she was pregnant once more. A soothsayer told us our next child would be a boy. A boy! You remember how mad little Salnia was when she found out she would have another sibling. She didn’t even turn up for supper after we told her.”
“I was the one who finally found her, eating all of your raspberries and peaches after seizing an entire meat pie,” mentioned Kellston. “You didn’t believe me when I told you she tore apart half the pie before I even reached her.”
“Mmm, she made quite the apology to the cooks of the castle.”
“Yes, by far the blandest and most unconvincing of them all.” Jedrick couldn’t help but laugh at Kellston’s remark. Jedrick loves his children more than anything else, but even he can’t lie when he says Salnia is the most troublesome. But so long as Jedrick is her father, he will always love and forgive her.
“Anyways, the rest of us were joyous. The nobles started sending twice as many assassins as before, alas, once they heard of our next child to be a boy. Never do those fools learn! I had defended myself from ten more assassination attempts ever since Gannia stopped talking to me. Three months, they had, to murder my beloved and her young until their crimes would be punished by the Omnipresent One. Hmmph, as if murder isn’t crooked enough. They still failed. I consider myself blessed every day Gannia never saw those killers in person, and that Chaiss was gracious enough to send her his finest men for protection.
“The same men that were plotting against me attended Gannia’s baby shower the seventh month of her pregnancy. The nerve of those noblemen! They were courteous, kind even. What falseness. One could not confuse them with the scheming, evil shrewds that they were. I swear, they must have a closet of invisible masks to hide their true colours: their cunning, conniving, and cowardly colours. One old man in particular, I remember him, he had an uncanny similarity to a vulture. I knew he was one of the nobles that had tried to kill me. Came close, too, and had Chaiss the Receiver not been on patrol, I would have awoken in the afterlife. The vulture sat there and chatted up my wife, jesting and entertaining her. I can’t remember his name for my life, but I was confident he was the one to send the assassins closest to murdering us! It made my blood boil, I tell you, the urge to strangle the life from his throat.
“The shower was pleasant in nature, but all false, I knew. The compassion the nobles displayed for our child was artificial. After the shower was no better from before. All everyone did was grovel, and that is all they still do. For months, I had to endure fake congratulations and good tidings. Ha! What actors the nobility has! Sick to my stomach, is what it makes me! Ah, but once more, I stray from my original story. I feel as if I only chew off your ears with my tiresome words to complain about the nobility and their treasonous acts. That was not my intention, friend.” Jedrick struggled to find where he was in his story, concentrating and frowning. He regained his stream of thought after much delay, only to put on a face of dejection and sadness when he realised where he was in his tale. More so than in any other part of his story, until he could take it no longer and weeped his eyes out.
All Kellston could do was sit still and say nothing, for nothing was there to say. What could cure the king of his sadness at this point? he thought. “My wife, Gannia, was a month early in the birth of our child. She had sent a servant to fetch me, and I went with her when I heard the news. I was elated at first, but I understood that a baby born early was nothing but trouble. I fully comprehended that fact halfway en route to my wife, and I became terrified at that point. A dozen dozen things could go wrong, and I was sprinting like a madman to see Gannia.
“We arrived at the kitchen, where Gannia was at when she felt the baby coming. She was struggling heavily with the birth, the servant told me. She was originally sent to gather medicinal herbs from the botanist’s garden, but instead brought me to the kitchen. The midwife, the midwife’s servant which had brought me, and the foul vulture-noble who talked to Gannia at her baby shower were huddled around Gannia. The midwife told me he was the one which sent for her, but I didn’t trust him fully. In fact, I didn’t at all.
“When I looked upon my wife, I saw that she was truly struggling. Her pain was etched across her face, eased slightly when she saw me. I was both worried and relieved. The midwife wasn’t specific in determining what was wrong, all she knew was that she had to split my precious wife’s belly. I knew that without the herbs the servant was sent to gather, it was practically a death sentence. All we could hope for was that the baby would survive. Giving one life to save another. I would not see my wife so quickly gone. While the midwife screamed at her handmaiden, I offered to venture up the High Mage’s tower and fetch one of his mystic healing potions. It was closer than the botanist’s garden or any Holy Servant inside the castle, seeming to be the most likely plan. The midwife advised me not to go, worried that I would be scorched by that cranky old wizard. He wouldn’t dare do that to a king, and I went on with haste.
“Desperate to save Gannia, I ran further and faster than I had ever ran in my old age. Twenty years younger, and I could’ve done circuits around the tower, went up it two times and still arrive in time to save my love. But what I could’ve done is different than what I did do. My tired old bones faltered halfway up the spiral stairway of that dratted bat’s tower, but that did not stop me from continuing my frantic pace. I only managed to obtain a single potion from that cross old codger, and he fought tooth and nail for it as well. I had half a mind to take his swollen head off of his body, but I abstained. One potion was enough, I reasoned. My blood flowed strong as I moved my limbs to get to my beloved wife.” Jedrick started weeping again. The memory he kept was more painful than the rest, more painful than all the rest. It had hit close to his heart and soul, leaving nothing fully intact. “I had arrived at the staff quarters to intense cries and wails. It was not the sound of a baby, but instead the ugly noise coming from women. The midwife was comforting her servant, both hunched over Gannia. I was slow to understand, but I saw my awful fate at last: My wife’s eyes were glazed over and motionless. Gannia was dead.
“My love of my life, my soul, bleeding from her belly with her pale mouth lolled open. I saw our baby lying alone nearby, bloody and shriveled. The umbilical cord trailed from the baby’s belly, untouched. A boy, just like the soothsayer said. The sickly little thing was crying softly, being drowned out by the banshee screams of the two sobbing women. I picked him up, cradling his bloody body in my arms. His head, no bigger than an apple, was almost as big as his body. A person could’ve lifted him with one hand and put little effort in it. I vainly placed the mouth of the potion inside of Gannia’s open lips, pointlessly letting the golden liquid dribble into her throat. I knew only a miracle could’ve saved her then. I- I wasn’t even able to hear her last word,” Jedrick croaked. Another crying fit came to the king’s eyes. Kellston waited for Jedrick to let out the tears. King Jedrick sniffled, gulped, and continued his story. “The midwife regained her composure at once when she heard the boy’s soft cry. She immediately stopped her weeping and cleaned the boy right up. and cut the umbilical cord from his belly. I said nothing, standing still and staring at Gannia’s body. My eyes were wet and my mouth was opened like a fool. I was paralyzed in place, and no matter how hard the servants urged me, I would not move. Only staring and moping.
“The midwife tended a fire for the baby as there wasn’t enough fat on his body to keep him warm. Maia and Salnia entered the kitchen with a wet nurse shortly after the baby was born, both trying to look at their new brother. They were shooed away by the still weeping servant. The midwife was like a general, ordering a bottle of fresh cow’s milk and blankets from the shaken cooks. The baby was not to be moved, she commanded, not even letting the wet nurse come close. I was still staring at my wife’s corpse when the midwife swaddled and fed the baby with the bottle of milk. No ordinary person would dare give orders to a king, but the midwife did not seem to know that. She right pushed me out of my trance. I sat there, unmoving, and began to sob. It must’ve disheartened the servants, seeing their mighty king cry like a child. The one to protect and defend their Realm, on his knees, weeping.
“Nothing pains me more than the memory of acknowledging Gannia’s death. I tried to think on what had caused this atrocity. Our marriage was blessed by the Omnipresent One, how could something as simple as a birth destroy my love of my heart, mind, body, and soul? Our previous children had been birthed flawlessly, what had gone wrong with our last one? My mind immediately raced to that elderly buzzard at Gannia’s baby shower. In my deliriousness and sorrow, I thought that he had poisoned Gannia to weaken her strength to get to me, for only that could’ve done my wife in. Maybe our heir would’ve died to spite me. What a loathsome creature. I leapt to the conclusion that he was the one to kill Gannia. Do you know what I had did, perchance?” Oh, I know. I was all too aware of it the second you mentioned it.
“No,” stated the Housemaster.
“You must keep this a secret. It is not my proudest moment, and I believe now would be the time to tell you of it. You have been my friend for many years now, and I think you should know.” Jedrick looked Kellston straight in his eyes. “Not a soul will know, Kellston. Do you understand me?” The Housemaster nodded, knowing what would happen otherwise. The king cracked his knuckles and continued, “I fulfilled my wish, Housemaster of mine. I did so indeed. I wished for my fingers and palms wrapped and pressed against the buzzard’s throat once in my life, and it was granted. A rush of fury came over me. I had little control over my body as my hands grabbed the vulture’s throat. They grasped a proper grip, eight fingers on the back of his neck, my palms holding down the sides, and both thumbs pressing down on the throat. I squeezed and squeezed and squeezed until I could squeeze no longer. The feel of his rapidly beating veins underneath my hands soothed my raging spirit. His eyes bulging out of his head and his dilating pupils comforted my rage. His tormented breathing and the sound of his fruitless struggle rang in my ears as my thumbs compressed his throat, and then, silence.
“The cooks and servants stood in shock, unbelieving in what they had seen. I ordered them to clear the body out at once, and never speak a word of what had occurred. The midwife only shook her head looked at me tiredly. I didn’t stop to look at my son or the kitchen for another minute, and left for my quarters. Do you wish to know what the odd thing was?” Kellston opened his mouth to speak but the king was already talking. “I had no regrets of this. Not even today. I never thought again of it, the issue never kept me awake at night, it was simply. . . right. One less noble. That is always how I have justified it. Neither have I ever fussed over Armad Hannis when I executed him. Funny thing, that.” The murder of Cyrus Waterlax, thought the Housemaster. Word spread quickly after he died. The king counts on his staff to keep it as a secret, but what’s the use of a secret if not for telling? Servants are terrible gossips. Jedrick should be ashamed of himself for what he did. “For three months, I wouldn’t leave my quarters. I did no ruling and no speaking, only eating, sleeping, and mourning. It was only until I learned from you the little baby boy had survived and grown healthy that I emerged from my hibernation and sat on my kingly throne of gilded marble.
“The midwife, who had inexhaustibly tended to my baby boy, was paid twice what she earned a year for her services. She had not named the little boy yet, waiting for me to do so myself. I took the tiny, plump cherub and named him Gann.” Jedrick stretched his limbs and grunted. “That, my friend, is the end of my tale. I apologise for keeping you.” Jedrick closed his eyes, exhausted from such a lengthy tale. He slouched back on his seat, remaining that way for several seconds.
After waiting an appropriate amount of time, Kellson lifted himself up and was about to say goodbye to his king (for the Housemaster was worried that pesky Salnia might’ve run away again), until Jedrick spoke up once more, “Oh, before I forget idly, I’ve been meaning to do this for a year now. I apologise once more, but I must thank you for informing me of the kingdom’s status while I was sealed in my quarters for those months. It only just occurred to me I had never shown my gratitude before, and now seemed to be an optimal time. Thank you, Parcol Kellston.” Jedrick stood up and bowed to his Housemaster. “You continued to be a good courtier, even in my prolonged absence. You are truly the best of my friends and my most trusted noble.”
“Yes, sire, I had no desire for you to be slow in the state affairs, now did I? You are still the king, after all.”
“It was an irresponsible and foolish thing to do, what I did. I should’ve grew a spine and went to my court despite my personal loss. Someone had to keep the nobility in check. Without my presence, they would’ve started a civil war!” Kellston was reminded of the days when Jedrick was always in his quarters. Oh, my. Shall I tell him? He decided it was for the best, and remarked,
“I wasn’t able to tell you this on threat of death at the time, but a civil war nearly did break out merely a day before you came back.” Jedrick’s face swiftly turned Kellston. “The nobles were splitting into groups, each preparing their men-at-arms for battle. Now seemed to be the best time to tell you.” Jedrick grimaced and looked down on the table, unsure of what to do. “You came back at exactly the right time, Harroll. The two sides had already drawn battle plans for an engagement.”
“Tell me about the civil war, Housemaster, and why you never mentioned it to me before,” muttered Jedrick.
“Everybody thought you had killed yourself. We discussed it two weeks after your ‘disappearance’ and it was decided someone would have to rule for you. Count Atollo Redigge claimed the throne in the stead of the steward, as Hollius was in the Eastern Villages. This was before his body was discovered in a bandit’s den, of course. Redigge owned the most land and supporters at the time, so it seemed to be the obvious choice. It was clear there would be conflict eventually, and assassins were almost certain. But Redigge kept a tight rule, and no one dared to strike against him in the beginning.
“The second month after you disappeared was when tensions grew. The other nobles grew wary of Redigge as the true steward had not yet returned from the Villages. He had been making nobles who questioned him vanish and imposed martial law on their estates. One day in court, the War Prince Jyriss Aierre declared Redigge a traitor to the throne.”
“Airre, the boy of sixteen years?” laughed the king.
“He said that a new ruler was to be elected, offering himself,” continued Kellston. “Before Jyriss could disappear, he laid siege to the Redigge Keep. He was driven away, but swore revenge on Atollo. The nobles flocked to both sides, preparing for a war. I am not a landowner and was not at that point in time, so they did not pressure me or any other Housemaster to do anything. Even as my loyal Housemasters gathered to either side, I did not partake in the conflict. Along with a handful of other nobles, I was completely neutral.” Jedrick paid great attention to his Housemaster’s words when he uttered his last sentence.
“A neutral party?”
“Consisting of six nobles, myself included. We refused to choose a side in the pointless feud, knowing that as far as the kingdom was concerned, there would be no winners. Redigge was a greedy and insecure ruler, and Airre was an impatient and short-tempered youth. Only those two really cared about the outcome of their war, the rest of the nobles wished to exploit them.”
“You were the only one to know I hadn’t killed myself up until that point, correct?”
“Yes. Rumours spread like a wizard’s fire that you couldn’t take the sadness of your wife’s passing, and lies circulating that a metallic smell was wafting from your quarter, and that the carpet had been stained red. Rotting flesh was even reported to have been in the air around your quarters. It was even worse that several of the nobles had confirmed this, perhaps for their own agendas.”
“These other five men, though, did they believe the rumours?”
“To my knowledge, yes. We had all conferenced in private, but I never told them of your status. In our meetings, we talked of ways to defer the civil war until Hollius was found. They had sent a company of their finest knights to find and escort him back to the Archland.”
“What were the names of the five men that remained neutral?”
“Sire?”
“The names, Kellston. They’re important.”
“I will not be the one to go against a king, but may I only ask what these five nobles may do for you, so eager are you to obtain their names?”
“If they remained neutral in a potential deadly civil war, it means they remained loyal to my steward, who acts as the king would. That means they are loyal to the king!”
“Perhaps that is not the wisest assumption, my liege,” cautioned the Housemaster. “It was over a year ago, and their loyalties may have changed. Maybe some of them knew you were alive and I did not detect it. They could have dozens of selfish reasons-”
“I know nobles better than the nobles do themselves, and I know they are always looking for influence. They will stop at nothing for power, and will do anything to get it. When two parties emerge, two very large parties, the nobles will side on the one they believe they will achieve the most influence under. What do they stand to gain by not joining these opposing parties? Nothing. In this case, the nobles which never chose a side have no way of gaining leverage over their rivals. All the nobles whom joined sides had their own agendas for taking over, planning to topple whichever fool stood when the dust clears. Then they obtain the upper hand. But remaining neutral? It is the most passive thing one can do, and the most honest. I must assume all of the men whom were neutral have a reasonable and intelligent reputation. They were the ones to go against the general mindset, and the least likely to stab me in the back.”
“Your Majesty, again, these men could have done nothing for another reason unknown to us. I shan’t lie, sire, but I feel this idea ill-guided and based not in logic.”
“The names, Kellston.” The king was done delaying. He glared at Kellston until the Housemaster sighed and reluctantly listed,
“Chaiss the Receiver was amongst the people who didn’t wish to partake in the conflict. He was not so much neutral as he was entirely against the idea. Chaiss hated the nobles’ ignorance and selfishness in starting a war when there were annihilistic warlords in the south. He loathed the opposing sides and their utter blindness. He said, and I quote, ‘the swelled heads of those incompetent squawkers would look much better without their bodies underneath them.’ ”
“Typical of Chaiss. Ah, well, you can’t choose them all. It is beneficial that he saw fault in this feud. We may have our disagreements often, but he is still a trusted supporter, even before my awareness of a secret war. Carry on.”
“The next person, I believe, would be Vaterrios Venikkis. He seemed sorry that the nobles were fighting, and opposed Chaiss many times in his belief the conflict could be resolved with words. Very humble, indeed.”
“Venikkis, eh? Hmm, I can see how he could be an ally. I do not know much of him, only that he has partaken in shouting matches the least in our council meets. Next person, then.”
“I remember Corcedim Leous attending our meetings. He wished to see the steward found and rule until Gann came of age, and sent the most knights to search for him. He was almost as outspoken as Chaiss, in fact.”
“I would’ve never guessed Leous to remain neutral. That man is quite rude in speaking his words, truthful as they may be, during our councils. Why, you’d think he was a warlord in disguise!”
“Quite. The next person which didn’t pick a side was the Holy Archbishop Akariel. He believed that the feud between the nobles was barbaric and unholy. He much preferred to see no one on a throne than to let one of the nobles steal it.”
“That was the only reason he joined you? The Omnipresent One saw it as degeneracy? By Colossus’ beard, for no other reason?”
“He is a priest, Your Grace. He said your return was a miracle from the Omnipresent One and a blessing of your rule. Besides, my king, he did truly believe in your ideas and methods.”
“Aye, only because our Creator said it for him! I wonder how many other kings he would cry out in the name of, good or bad. If for no better reason to trust me than that, I consider his opinion invalid.”
“The last noble which stood by the kingdom’s well-being was Argous’la Nag’van, speaker for the Mudmarshes Realm. He had similar motives to Leous and didn’t want to see the Realm divided during a crisis of warlords. He was often confused as to why allies fight as frequently as they did if they were on the same side.”
“Bah, Nag’van sees every northerner as weak-boned. But it certainly helps us to have a war minded person other than Chaiss on our side. So, that is it then? Not counting you, we have two zealots, one foreigner, and but two honest men on our side? I’m considering my steward as an ally, Neille Rainblessed has truly earned his status. Seven men which are still loyal to me.” Jedrick looked up to the heavens and prayed, “May the Five Sons and their Father be merciful.” His gaze shifted back to Kellston, saying sternly to him, “Send a letter to each of the men you mentioned. We are to hold a private council meeting as of Creator-Day next week.”
“Again, sire, while I am not protesting your actions-”
“I believe you are, friend. Send the letters before I grow old.” Jedrick squinted cynically at his Housemaster. “They are to notify no one of this meeting. I wish to see them before next week, however, so inform the rest of the nobles of an impromptu council meet on Magus-Day this week. I wish to evaluate the nobles you have mentioned myself. In these times of unrest, I need some real allies instead of a gaggle of sycophants. So my aging mind does not forget, write down the names for me, including Neille’s and your own.” Kellston did so, and fetched a piece of parchment, a feather pen, and ink. He quickly scribbled down:

Chaiss the Receiver
Veteran Record-Keeper Vaterrios Venikkis
Veteran Advisor Corcedim Leous
Holy Archbishop Akariel
Speaker of Mudmarshes Argous’la Nag’van
King’s Steward Neille Rainblessed
Chief Housemaster Parcol Kellston

Satisfied, the king nodded for Kellston’s departure.
“I’m glad we had this talk, Master Kellston.” The Housemaster stood up and bowed deeply. Before he could leave, the king ordered, “Promise me, Kellston. Promise me you will send letters to these men.” Kellston looked at Jedrick for a brief amount of time.
“I promise, my king, do not worry.” Jedrick nodded, signalling that Kellston could venture off at last.
*
*
*
Kellston was just leaving the room when he heard the guards start arguing with each other. Convenient, he thought. I now regret not discussing further the weapons in the streets. What if it proves to be deadly? What if I take the information to the grave? What if it means nothing, and I am deluding myself? Who knows? Plenty of illegal things happen in the Pickpocket District, perhaps all of the arms present were simply a normal day for them. He kept on fretting over it, until he glanced at a little black silhouette dashing across the courtyard below him. Kellston stopped his worrying, and wondered what the shadow was. A rogue from the Pickpocket District? So soon? No, wait, it is much too small to be that. Kellston peered closer. He saw the silhouette climb a tree effortlessly and scurry across the branches. Salnia! It’s Salnia! All thoughts of the potential conspiracy were gone, replaced by frustration and anger. She has done it again, the little pest-girl!
“I’m going to kill that miscreant!” yelled Kellston to no one in particular. As the silhouette leapt from one tree to another, the Chief Housemaster girded his loins, took off his fine shoes, and ran to the staircase that led to the courtyard. The Five Sons of the Omnipresent One and their holy angels combined couldn’t have stopped Kellston’s fury upon the mischievous little girl. Jedrick will just have to wait, thought the Housemaster.
*
*
*
Remembre the love, remembre the lyght,
Remembre the hate, remembre the nyght,
Remembre the warmth, remembre the syght,
Remembre the cold, remembre the fryght.
Keep a sharp mynd wherever ye look,
Remembre the tymes, lest ye forsook.
-Old Goldhaven Poem