The Night That Started it All | Teen Ink

The Night That Started it All

December 16, 2014
By ella_perkins24 BRONZE, Unknown, Colorado
More by this author
ella_perkins24 BRONZE, Unknown, Colorado
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Sarina’s P.O.V

     I just wanted to sit down after work. I am so exhausted right now. Being a waitress is harder than it sounds. I am on my feet all day dealing with lousy scum bags. I just wanted to sit down; so I did. It seemed like I only took one breath before I was up and busy again. I ran to my closet and pulled out my blue sequined party dress. It was a flapper, those are in nowadays. I curled my hair; it didn't take long because it is short, and put a feather in it. I felt so pretty and confident in my outfit and felt like I was on cloud nine as I walked from my apartment to the party.
   
I could hear the music from a few blocks away and the closer I got, the more excited I was. I had a little handbag that could hold only a pack of cigarettes, lipstick, and some money; that was all I needed. I was meeting some girlfriends there; we were all single and for good reason. I was the weirdest person ever with all the sass on the world around them but if a guy walked up it was as if my tongue fell out. Let’s just hope I don't talk to any guys tonight. I rounded the corner and approached the building. The music was blasting and it was jazz; I love jazz. I entered a large ballroom; there was a crystal chandelier that put off the most wonderful light. Only a few people were dancing but that was just because they were drunk. I walked over to the bar and sat on a stool. I saw some of my friends but I needed some booze before I went over to socialize. I got my drink, walked over to a less crowded spot, and drank.

The music was loud and the drinks were cold. The brisk bourbon kissed my lips and my eyes met his. They were blue, my favorite. A swirling sea of blue-green mist circled towards an engulfing black dot. I didn’t realize I was staring at him so long but he started to walk towards me. “May I buy you a drink?” he said with a charming smirk. I looked down at mine and saw it was completely full so I slowly dumped it out and replied “yes.”

We walked over to the bar and sat on the stools. The bartender approached us and refilled my glass with bourbon. I wanted to look at this mystery man but I had already stared at him long enough and he was so good looking I couldn’t afford to lose this one; so looked around the party. There were girls in beautifully colored dresses and men in suits, all dancing and drinking, the perfect place to be. We were drunk idiots but we were classy drunk idiots. After looking at the whole room I let my eyes wander back to his. The blue oceans took me by surprise but I controlled it, the last thing I needed was to scare him. I was replaying our conversation in my head and I realized I had only said one word to the poor guy.
“I’m Sarina” I barely whispered out.
He laughed and walked away. I didn’t think I was supposed to follow him because the way he laughed at me was very rude. I felt my face get hot and I felt anger building up. I slapped my hands on the counter and marched in his direction.
“What the hell is wrong with you?” I yelled. It might have been the anger talking or the bourbon but either way I was pissed. “You don’t just buy me a drink; then laugh and walk away, I mean the drink was great, but what you just did was beyond rude.”
“Well look who’s talking now” he said with a smirk that was so sexy.
I felt my insides melt but I stayed strong.
“Yeah I can hear myself, what do you mean?” I was so confused.
“Well I could tell you were nervous to talk to me so I wanted to do something that would make you want to talk. I couldn’t think of anything to start the conversation with so I just winged it. You have a name that is more beautiful than the sunset,” he replied. I could barely breathe and I stood there, my mouth agape, if I didn’t look stupid before I sure as hell did now. God I hate boys, why can’t I talk around them?
“Oh...well um...I guess...um...uh,” I mumbled out.
“It’s okay; I wouldn’t know what to say either. I’m Michael,” he said.
My mind was racing. I stood there looking like an idiot because my mouth was wide open. I could only think of one thing to say.
"Can I buy you a drink?" I asked Michael. "I think this either needs to start over or it needs to involve alcohol."
He laughed, this time it was because he thought what I said was funny and I could tell he meant to laugh. I was starting to like this guy; he was charming and he didn't seem to have any boundaries. That wasn't a bad thing; it was just different than other guys.

We talked all night and he even asked me to dance with him but I had to turn him down, I tend to look like a chicken with its head cut off when I danced. So I stood there and watched. He looked so free and he was having so much fun, I started to regret not taking him up on his offer. Once the song ended he looked at me and bit his lip, it was very attractive looking, and he pointed his finger at me and motioned for me to come over. My eyes grew and I could feel my face getting hot. I drank the last bit of my bourbon and cringed at the taste but I started to walk over to him. He turned away and looked at the man in charge of the music and requested he play a slow song. I knew where this was headed but I wasn’t scared, I kind of wanted him to put his arms around me. The song started and as I reached him and he literally picked me up and spun me around.
“What was that for?” I asked.
“Figured it would get out the last minute jitters,” he said.
“You’re different than most guys Michael.”
“How so?”
“I don’t know. I mean you are still a gentleman but you are a different kind of gentleman, one I have never seen before. It is a good thing,” I explained.
“Oh well do you want me to be like most guys or do you want me to do this?” he asked quickly and then swept me in his arms and kissed me very gently on the cheek.
“You know what? That was just fine. I wouldn’t mind if you did that again,” I said.
“Unfortunately I cannot, I am afraid I must go. Please meet me tomorrow in the square,” he offered.
“I might just take you up on that Michael,” I responded.
“Until then my love.” he said then took my hand and placed his lips on it.
He then stood up and left. My heart was racing and I just made one thing clear to myself, if I had plans tomorrow, they just got canceled.


Michael’s P.O.V

I couldn’t have been happier! I just spent the most wonderful night with the most wonderful girl. Sarina, what a pretty name, what a pretty person. I can’t believe I had any courage whatsoever, because what I just did was unbelievable. I’m so mad I had to leave, but if I didn’t get home my brother would kill me. I didn’t have a curfew or anything. I mean I was old enough to drink of course; it’s just that my brother was older and slightly protective. He doesn’t like me to go out and talk to humans. Yeah, you heard me right; I’m not human. I am a witch, not like the stereotypical, warty, ugly witches that humans think we look like; I just have powers that I harvest from the earth. Oh and another stereotype, yes I am a boy; not all witches are girls. Anyway, I had to get home before my brother did. If he found out I left he would skin me alive. He is a witch too but he prefers to be one that uses magic that is not harvested from the earth. He uses spirit magic, it has fewer boundaries and it focuses more on shape-shifting; he could literally turn me into a toad or something. I knew he would get home around 12:30 and I left the party at 12. I only lived 15 minutes away but I wanted to be sure because I would have to hide my suit and everything. I would prefer to have too much time than no time at all. I reached the door and grabbed the key from under the mat and unlocked the door. I may sound like a baby when I say this but every time I open the door to a pitch black apartment I get so scared, babyish right? Oh well, I got in the apartment and turned on the light. Someone was sitting on my couch.
“Oh my God, what are you doing?” I asked my brother.
“Oh just sitting. I believe the real question would be, what are you doing?” he said with a bit of edge in his voice.
“Oh you know I just went out for a walk,” I said.
“In a suit?” he asked
“Alright you got me, I went to a bar. I didn’t want to look bad and I was in the mood to dress up,” I said confidently.
“Oh ok. I went to a bar too. Actually there was a party. Lots of people; it was a real turn out and I saw this beautiful girl,” he said.
“Oh good for you,” I said
“Yeah, her name was Sarina. Does that sound familiar to you?” he asked
“Please tell me you didn’t actually talk to her, leave her alone,” I yelled.
“Oh brother, when will you learn? Humans are evil and you must stay away from her,” he ordered me.
“Peter, just because you are scared of humans doesn’t mean I have to be. I think you should back off, I will live my life exactly how I want to,” I said to him.
“Fine, if you won’t do anything to stay away from her, I will,” he said.
“No,” I barely managed to get out but he disappeared in a blue cloud of smoke. I hated when he did that. I heard something behind me and I turned around but it was too late. He had already wrapped ropes around me.
“Untie me. You know I hate when you u--,” I said before I was cut off by a piece of the rope going into my mouth.
“Dear brother, I already told you. You must stay away from that girl, when you refused I decided to take things into my own hands. Don’t worry, I’ll take good care of her,” he said with a chuckle then once again disappeared in a blue cloud of smoke. I was left standing there wondering what he could be doing. I put my head in my hands and closed my eyes and before I knew it, I was fast asleep.
I woke up the next morning confused. Had I really drank that much? I could have sworn something happened last night. All that was in my head was bourbon.  Wait that’s why, I was supposed to meet Sarina in the square. I looked at my clock and saw that it was 11:00. I jumped out of my bed and ran to my closet. There was no time to shower. I put on a nice shirt that smelled moderately clean and doused myself with the best cologne I had.
I saw her sitting on the fountain in the square. She was wearing a white dress speckled with pink flowers. Her blonde hair was up in pin curls and looked delicate. I walked up behind her and poked her on the shoulder. She stood up and looked around; she hadn’t seen me yet so I picked her up and spun her around in my arms. People walking around stopped and stared at us but I didn’t care.
“Hey remember me?” I said.
“Yes of course. It’s Michael right?” She said then she laughed. “How could I forget you?” She said after she got done laughing.
“Well it would be pretty hard considering the fact that I gave you the best night of your life.” I said
She stood there with a smile on her face.
“Wait that came out wrong, you know what I mean,” I said laughing. She started laughing so hard, she almost fell in the fountain. I grabbed her by the waist and she just kept laughing.
“What…are you…doing?” she said while laughing. “Making sure someone a gorgeous as you doesn’t fall in the fountain. You know, what I said wasn’t that funny. I think you like me Sarina.” I said with a devilish smirk on my face.
She looked me in the eyes and immediately stopped laughing.
“Don’t worry. I’ll let you pretend you don’t like me,” I say confidently.
I didn’t realize my hands where still on her waist but she never made me take them off. Maybe she really did like me.
“So what are we going to do today?” She asked me.
“I actually hadn’t thought that far; I wasn’t sure you would come. Let’s have lunch,” I said.
“Why didn’t you think I would come?” she said as we walked to the restaurant.
“I don’t know. I mean I know you wanted to see me again but I wasn’t sure you were up to it.” I said.
“You’re so full of yourself!” She told me.

We arrived at the restaurant and sat in a booth. A nice waiter came over and gave us each a glass of water. He asked us what we would like to eat and I ordered us both hamburgers. I did not plan on this being a fancy date so why not watch this beautiful woman stuff her face with a hamburger? We talked for hours after we ate and eventually they kicked us out because they had to set up for dinner. We walked around the streets for a while and it started to rain.
“Come on how cliché could this get huh?” I said to her. “I guess, you know since it’s raining, we should…kiss?” I proposed.
“Oh my God, you have wanted to kiss me all night, so you are lucky that it started raining. On behalf of all clichés I will kiss you Michael.” She said to me.
I felt my eyes grow as I grabbed her waist and pulled her close to me. We stared in each other’s eyes for a while but then I placed a gentle kiss on her delicate lips. I walked her to her door.
“Let’s have lunch tomorrow. Same time same place. Meet me in the square.” I said
“I might just have to take you up on that Michael.” She said, repeating the words she said to me the night before.
I smiled. “Until then my love” I said and then placed my lips on her hand.


Sarina’s P.O.V

It was around noon and I was where Michael said to meet him but I didn’t see him. I was so excited; I wanted to see his face again, not to mention those eyes. I sat down at a bench by the fountain and waited. I pulled out one of my cigarettes and lit it. My eyes followed the smoke up until it disappeared and I did it again. It was a good pastime but it didn’t last long. It was 12:15 by now. I know I didn’t know Michael all that much but it didn’t seem like him to be late to his own plans.
“Hello there miss. Are you waiting for someone?” a voice said behind me.
A smile grew on my face and I turned hoping to see Michael but instead it was a different man.
“Oh, why yes actually. We are meeting for lunch,” I replied.
“Ok good, that means I have the right person. I am here to deliver a message from Michael. I’m his brother and he said he won’t be able to meet you today. Actually I think it would be best if you stopped seeing my brother,” he said with a straight face.
“What do you mean?” I asked.
“Well I do believe what I just said was fairly clear but my brother always did tend to go for the stupid ones so I will repeat it for you. Stay away from my brother or things will start to happen,” he said with a lot of attitude.
“Hmmmm...you know I could consider your offer but I would rather go on a date with your brother. Guess what? There’s not much you can do so get out of my way,” I said sternly. I pushed him
aside and walked on as though he were never there. I figured out that Michael would not be coming but I wasn’t mad. He knew I would be waiting so he sent someone to tell me, he must have had some sort of accident. I hope he is ok.

The day went by fast and before I knew it, it was dark. I was already in my apartment and I had just eaten so I went to bed. I got into the comfiest clothes I had and crawled in bed. I closed my eyes and suddenly I couldn’t breathe. I opened my eyes to see Michael’s brother standing in my room, his arm outstretched.
“Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Peter. Remember that time when you said I couldn’t do anything to you? Well that’s funny because I think I’m choking you right now.” he said with an evil smile. “I think we should go on a little trip,” he said and his smile grew bigger.
We were engulfed in a cloud of blue smoke, I closed my eyes. When I reopened them, we were standing in front of a lake. It looked to be in the middle of nowhere and it was surrounded by dark trees. Peter released his grip on the air which somehow connected to my throat.
“What are you?” I coughed out.
“I’m a witch honey and you are about to become my slave,” he said.
Peter waved his hand and the blue smoke came again but this time the person that came with is was Michael. He was tied up in thick rope; I started to run forward to help him but Peter
extended his hand again and I fell to the ground. It felt like my bones were breaking; I screamed out in agony and I barely heard Michael try to scream as well.
“Oh shhh be quiet. If you both yell then I won’t be able to hear myself think. Now what was my plan? Oh yeah, so I never truly liked how my brother always disobeyed me. He would always go out and talk with humans even though that is strictly forbidden. I think he should be punished, don’t you? Never mind I don’t care what you have to say. So anyway I want to punish him as well as you for being so stupid. I have been working on this spell for quite some time and I think you are the perfect test subject,” he said.
“What are you going to do to me?” I cried.
“Ego transporto vos ut unda vivo vestri dies ut satraps illae mortuus lacus,” he said.
I instantly felt like I was drowning and then I started to float. I was moving towards the water and suddenly, I wasn’t floating anymore. I dropped into the lake but I didn’t feel a thing. I couldn’t feel the coldness of the water I just felt peace. I could open my eyes under the water and I saw a strange shimmering, it looked like something was on my leg. I started to swim towards the surface and I realized I didn’t have any clothes on.
“What did you do to me? Where are my clothes?” I asked frantically.
“And the singing should start...now,” he said.
He was right I felt this weird sensation I couldn’t control. I opened my mouth and bellowed out a marvelous song. Peter walked over to Michael, who stopped squirming, and untied him. He never even blinked, he just walked forward. Was Peter seriously letting him walk over to me? I didn’t know what do but I could not stop singing. While I kept singing Michael kept walking; he went straight into the water. He had no emotions on his face and he just kept going. I began to panic and I tried to stop the song but I couldn’t.
“You see the song draws him in. He won’t stop walking until he can’t walk anymore. His head will be sucked into the water and he will drown and it will be your fault,” Peter said.
Sure enough, he was right. Michael kept on walking until the water sucked him in. Only then did my song stop. I swam over to him and held him in my arms but it was too late, he was gone.
“What did you do?” I screamed through my tears.
“Oh no. This will not be blamed on me. You are the one who sang, you are the one who killed my brother,” he yelled back. “Now there are a few things you need to know about the gift I gave you. One, you will not age. Two, you will sing every night and you will eventually control it. Three, you are

confined to this lake. And last but not least, you are no longer a human. You are a siren,” he said while he laughed and then, he disappeared.

A loud scream emerged from the forest that night. There is a voice that is born from the forest every day. A beautiful song echoes through the trees and it is said that men go missing each night. Everyone that goes to that lake says it’s normal, but normal lakes don’t scream. There is something there and sooner or later, it will be found



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.