Where is my mind? | Teen Ink

Where is my mind?

December 15, 2014
By Mononoke, Highlands ranch, Colorado
More by this author
Mononoke, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Ellie: The main character who is trapped in her mind in  a strange world she has never known was there. In the real world, she is in a coma and her body is deteriorating.

Dawn: The boyfriend of Ellie who is also her mentor to get out of her coma.

Doctor

Mother

Meister: A strange creature that looks like a turtle but has the head of a moose.

Roser: A man who is rather insane and never wears anything that even remotely matches. He’s the servant of Elsen.

Elsen: Queen of Tameriel who was overthrown by her evil sister.

The Lady Red: The sister of Elsen. Is currently ruling Tameriel.

A small hospital room in Pasadena, California. It is Winter, right around christmas in 2011.

The room is painted a light blue with multiple machine cluttered against the back wall. In the middle of the machines is a white hospital bed. To the right of the bed there is a chair and to the left a small table with a vase of white carnations. Along the left wall is a row of windows with the blinds lowered but partly opened so the light is very dim but is there.

As the curtains are raised we see Ellie laying in the hospital bed attached to the machines against the wall. Standing at the end of her bed is her mother and her doctor. Sitting to her right is her boyfriend Dawn, hold her hand while looking at the doctor.

DOCTOR: She’s comatose. Her brain has absolutely no activity and it appears her health is slowly dropping. We don’t know where this came from, as you said she was perfectly healthy and happy just a week ago. Do you know of her activities before she fell, Ma’am?

MOTHER stutters slightly as she speaks: N-no sir. She stayed at home for the most part. She doesn’t have a job or car so she can’t really do much unless someone ca-

DAWN interrupts the mother: She was with me. We were out almost every day. She seemed very antsy and wanted to do all the things we always spoke of.  That was around here, I mean.

DOCTOR looking at dawn quizzically: Antsy, you say?

DAWN: Yes, sir. She was saying she felt like she didn’t have much left. I didn’t know what it meant at the time but I guess she knew something was happening to her and just didn’t speak up about it.

DOCTOR: Hm, strange, if I don’t say so myself. We need to run some more tests and see if we can’t find any issues.

Exit Doctor

MOTHER: Why would you lie to him like that? Do you know how that could impact her treatment?

DAWN looking irritated: You honestly think she was at home this whole week? Do you know your daughter at all?

He holds her hand with both of his and looks at her almost lifeless face. He reaches to her and strokes her cheek then looks back to her mother.

MOTHER Watching him intesely: Yes I think after 19 years of caring for her I would know my daughter pretty damn well.

DAWN chuckling softly to himself: Care? What care have you done for her besides make her into an emotional wreck? You’ve done nothing but bully and abuse her since she could speak.

She gasps and flashes him a look of hatred.

MOTHER: How dare you speak to me like that. What proof do you have of this so-called abuse.

DAWN chuckling slightly louder and begins to progressively get louder as he speaks: Try her words, her actions, just look at her. She is visually a wreck. If you were a good mother you would see it. I didn’t even know her and I knew she was damaged. Everyone knows. It’s not hard to see. You’re just too far blinded by your actions to see what you have done to your own blood.

By now he has begun yelling at the mother, who is just staring at him with a blank stare.

MOTHER yelling: I’m leaving. By the time I get back I expect you out.

DAWN calmly: Can’t wait to see you again.

He shoots a hateful smile at her then looks back at Ellie and kisses her forehead. He then  looks back behind him to see the mother has already exited.

DAWN: I’ll see you in a bit, my love. I have to do a few things.

He exits.

A strange forest in Tameriel. The land of Ellie’s mind.

Ellie wakes up on the ground of a strange forest. There are tall trees with light green and blue leaves. There are flowers of all colors that are two times her size and creatures she has never seen before. One is a giant bird with feathers that look like scales. Another creature she sees is a turtle with a moose head. He is toying with an axe and looks very uneasy about it. She begins to walk towards it.

ELLIE Stuttering with her words: H-hello?

MEISTER: Oh, whose there?

He squints his eyes and waves the ae around and she ducks just in time for it to fly over her head
ELLIE: My name is Ellie. Can you. She pauses to think. Can you tell me what this place is?

He bears a look of shock on his face for a moment then begins to speak again

MEISTER: Ellie you say?

ELLIE: Yes, that’s me, why?

MEISTER: Ellie Bradshaw?

ELLIE: How do you know that?

MEISTER: Do you not remember, my dear Ellie?

ELLIE A touch of fear in her voice: Remember what? Who are you?

MEISTER: Must we talk in questions? This is the broken path. This is where we once met. it is a path of many things and nothing at all. Why have you returned here?

ELLIE looking at him questioningly: I do not know of what you talk about. I am here by mistake and would like to get out. But this is no human realm.

MEISTER: No, no it is not. That you have right. Aha! But I can tell you now you’re reason for being here must be something? Know you not what it is?

ELLIE: Know I not? The last thing I remember was Dawn. We were on the beach and I was feeling rather scared. I do not know why. But he was worried about me. He said he wasn’t. But you could see it when he looked at me. He knew something I did not.

There is a rustling behind her and she quickly turns around to see him emerge from behind a large red flower.

DAWN: Ellie.

ELLIE: Dawn! Where are we, my dear? I’m scared. I want to go home.

He looks at her with sad eyes.

DAWN: I don’t think we can go home just yet, Love.

ELLIE: Why’s that?

DAWN: You will see soon enough.
He exits as she tries to call out to him.

ELLIE: Dawn, wait! 

She turns around to see meister but he too is already gone. She then begins following the path.

Ellie exits.
 

Ellie wanders on stage, looking around at all the scenery. She is so sucked into her observations of her surrounding areas that she doesn’t see person in front of her and bumps into them. The person is a man, and is quite obviously not very sane. His clothing is Is very mismatched and he appears to be talking to himself.

ELLIE: Oh I’m sorry. I didn’t see you.

ROSER muttering to self: Oh so much to to do. What to do. What to do.

ELLIE: Um, Sir? Are you okay?

He looked at her intensely. his eyes looking every which way before finally resting on her for a few moments. He quickly looked away and continued muttering non-understandable things to himself

ELLIE: My, oh my. You’re mad as a hatter!

ROSER: Mad? Why I am not mad! I am actually quite happy.

He chuckles to himself

ROSER: Do you hear it?

ELLIE: Hear what?

ROSER: The boom.

He turns around and pokes at a flower that then begins to dance around his finger

ELLIE: I’m sorry, I don’t understand. You hear a “boom”?


ROSER: Yes, m’lady. It’s the sound of war. The land is corrupt and sad. What did you say your name was?

ELLIE: I never said my name. You never asked. It’s Ellie. Ellie Bra-

Before she could finish her sentence the strange man’s eyes grew wide and he quickly backed away.

ROSER: Ellie, you say? You don’t mean (emphasis) the Ellie, do you?

ELLIE: What do you mean? How does everyone seem to know me but I know no one here.

ROSER: My dear, you have a terrible path ahead of you. But we have faith you will defeat her. She has grown much more powerful since you last visited but we all have faith in you. I must be going now. Roser is off to tea.

Exit Roser, Enter Dawn

ELLIE: Dawn what is he talking about? What does he mean “I will defeat her”?

DAWN sighs and looks at her, softly stroking her cheek: The evil queen has taken over these lands. And you are the only one who is capable of stopping her. You are no longer in the human world. And the only way you can return is to defeat her. 

ELLIE: I can’t fight. I won’t! fight. Let alone (emphasis) kill anyone.

Dawn he sighs and turns around: You know, you don’t really have a choice, my love. your either trapped here, in your mind, while your body withers away. Or you can defeat her, save yourself, and all the people here, and come back to me. You know I can’t go on without you.

ELLIE mumbling: I know.

DAWN: I know it’s hard for you. But I also know you can do it. Now, I’m going to take you to Elsen. She’s going to help you prepare for Abjuition (Ab-jew-ish-on) day.

ELLIE: That wouldn’t be the day I..

DAWN: Kill her? Yes. It’s in three days.

He exits and Ellie slowly begins to follow and finally runs off the stage after him.

A white castle with elegant people in white dresses and suits and a queen in her white throne. The people are crowded in several small groups talking amongst each other and the queen has a woman whispering in her ear then running off. Along the walls are white suits of armor and a several large white columns. The queen’s throne sit in the middle of the room (Up-stage center) Dawn and Ellie are walking down the middle towards the queen and everyone stops talking and stares when they stand in front of her.

ELSEN: And who might we have here, but not the lovely return of Ellie?

ELLIE stuttering slightly while admiring the beauty of the castle: Y-yes ma’am. You must be queen Elsen.

ELSEN: Former queen Elsen. Had my sister not rebelled against me I would still hold my name as queen of this land. But sadly I have lost that. But now that you are here, just as it was told, I will soon have my throne back and my sister will be punished with her own punishment.

ELLIE: I do not know if I will be able to battle her, my queen.

ELSEN: Oh such doubt is to be expected. (to the people) You may all take your leave.

They exit.

ELSEN: I would like you to come with me, Ellie. (To Dawn) You have done well thus far. I will not be needing you at this moment, however.

DAWN: My Lady, she will need me. You don't know her like I.

ELSEN: Very well. Follow me.

She waves her hand and begins to walk towards an elegant suit of armor that is clearly out of place in her all white castle. The armor is red and appears to be quite the load on the person who would wear it. The arms of the armor are raised and there is a broken blade resting in the hands

ELLIE aside to herself: Wow. It’s so beautiful.

ELSEN: I’m glad you think so. It’s what you will be wearing in your battle. Sadly, the blade has yet to be fixed from the last battle against the queen.

DAWN: Is it not to be fixed?

ELSEN: In time.

Before the curtains rise you hear a woman running and yelling.

MOTHER: Doctor! Doctor! Help! Something is wrong with Ellie!

The curtains rise to Ellie’s Hospital room. The blinds are open and Dawn is staring out them the doctors rush in and see the Ellie’s heart has stopped and begin doing CPR on her. During this we see Dawn rush out of the room, shooting Ellie’s mother a hateful look.

We are back in the white castle with the queen. Ellie is wearing the armor and looking at her arms curiously. Dawn has disappeared and Ellie is just beginning to notice.

ELSEN: It’s getting late, and you have a long day tomorrow. Would you like to be shown to your room?

ELLIE looking around, trying to find Dawn: Have you seen Dawn?

ELSEN: No he hasn’t been here for a while. Did you not see him slip out?

ELLIE: No.

ELSEN: Hmm. Well, let us get you some sleep. He should be here when you wake up.

The queen reaches her hand out to Ellie and smiles warmly.

ELSEN: Come come.

They exit

 

They enter into a simple white room with a rather large bed in the center and a vanity on the left of the room.

ROSER: Oh hello Mi’lady. I will be preparing you for supper and then bed. We have a grand supper prepared for you, if you ought to go.

ELSEN: Ellie, this is Roser. He takes care of the guests. (aside to Ellie) He may be a little mad. don’t mind it.

ELLIE: I have seen you before! In the forest.

ROSER: Ah yes, heh heh heh, silly me.Are you going to supper?

ELLIE: I think I would rather sleep.

Elsen exits silently looking back at ellie with sad eyes.

ROSER: Oh very well. I’ll draw a bath then.

ELLIE: Oh that’s okay. I’ll just change and get some sleep.

ROSER: Are you sure? You look like you need it.

ELLIE: Yes, sir.

ROSER: heh heh heh. Very well. I’m off.

He exits and passes Dawn giving him a funny look as he walks out. Dawn walks up behind Ellie and moves her hair from her neck and kisses it gently. She turns around and wraps her arms around his body, burying her face into his chest. She then looks up at him and kisses him. He takes her hand and walks her to the bed as the curtains fall.

Elsen enters the room and sees Ellie and Dawn asleep. She hesitates before waking Ellie gently.

ELSEN: It’s time to wake, Dear. You have a long day.

Ellie sits up and looks at Dawn then Elsen. She quietly climbs out of bed and looks at Elsen.

ELSEN: There’s a dress for you in the closet. You can come for breakfast. It’s coming up shortly. otherwise we will be teaching you to fight.

ELLIE: Can I eat in here?

ELSEN: I’ll send it up.

Elsen exits. Ellie walks to the Vanity and stares at herself.

ELLIE: How can I be expected such a large task. I am going to die in less than 24 hours from now. I know it. Who knew I could have such a strange ending to my life. Who knew it would be me to have to save an entire civilization.  She will be much too powerful for me. She will kill me.

DAWN groggily: Don’t say such things, my love. We all have faith in you. We know you can do it as you have done it before. But you do not remember.

ELLIE: No I don’t. But how do you know so well I will be able to this time. what if I have become too weak mentally. I have to KILL someone, Dawn.

DAWN: Yes but will you be able to be mentally strong enough if you SAY you’re not?

There is a knock on the door that cuts them short.

ROSER: Um, miss? Here is our food.

He sets it next to her on the vanity and exits once again.

DAWN: You need to eat. I’m going to go speak to the queen.

He kisses her head and exits. and she eats before following after him.

Ellie is back in the throne room with Roser, Dawn, and Elsen. She has a sword and is wacking at a wooden practice dummy.

ELSEN aside to DAWN: She has only been doing this a few hours and she has improved so much.  think she is ready for living things. Wanna take a go?

He looks at her and grabs a sword from beside him. He walks towards Ellie and pushes her dummy aside.

DAWN: Hit me.

ELLIES: No.

She turns away from him.

DAWN: You have to practice, Babe.

ELLIE: Yes, but not on you.

DAWN: You’re blade isn’t sharp enough to hurt me. Now, hit me. or I’ll come at you.

She takes a swing at him and he blocks it. They do this back and forth for a while before he stops and looks at her.

DAWN: You’re ready. Now, go eat and get some rest.

In the hospital room there is the mother, Dawn, and a doctor. There appears to be a heated conversation.

MOTHER Aggravated tone: Doctor, it’s been THREE months. How much longer do you need to bring her health back up?

DOCTOR: It’s not as simple as you may think, Ma’am. She has to fight for her health. There isn’t much more we can do.

DAWN mumbling: It’s all up to her.

They look at him quizzically and then continue their conversation.

MOTHER: Give her what she needs to come back. I don’t care what it takes. Give her a new brain for all I-

Dawn cuts her off.

DAWN: And risk her forgetting everything she knows now? If you gave her a new f*ing brain she wouldn’t remember us. She would be someone new. Someone we don’t know. YOU do not get to make that call. The doctor just said there is nothing he can do so shut up and listen to him. And while you are at it get out of her life. She doesn’t need you anymore. You’ve done enough.

MOTHER: Oh? Like what?

The doctor looks at them both before exiting.

DAWN: hmm I don’t know. How about abusing her to the point she can’t even wake up on her own anymore? She. Doesn’t. Need you. So just leave.

She opens her mouth before quickly closing it and walking out.

Ellie is standing facing the Lady Red, (The actress of her mother) The queen has Long, big, red hair. Her dress appears to be skin and is stained blood red. She looks angry and mean and is staring at Ellie. The crown on her head is a gold circlet with a Large diamond in the center, surrounded with small rubies. Behind Ellie stands Dawn, Elsen, Roser, Meister. and a rather large group of the Queens white soldiers.

LADY: Have you come here to kill me?

She scoffs

ELLIE: Is that not what is supposed to happen? You are to be slain and The land of Tameriel will be free of your terror once more.

Ellie reaches for her sword.

LADY: Ah ah. I wouldn’t do that.

ELLIE: Why’s that?

Dawn walks up behind The Lady and draws his sword. Ellie turns around to see him missing from behind her. He walks passed the Lady and draws his sword on Ellie.

ELLIE: What are you doing, Dawn?

She has a look of fear on her face. She looks him in the eyes and sees him grin evilly before rushing towards her with his sword.  Ellie reaches for her sword and pulls it out. Dawn stops dead in his tracks and has a look of Awe. Then looks quickly to Elsen.

DAWN: How? How did you fix it?

ELSEN: I told you “In time.”

Ellie begins to cry silently and falls to the ground before Dawn turns around and places his blade on her neck.

LADY: Oh my, how will you ever get out of this one.

She speaks with an evil sarcastic tone. But stands so  calm while watching as Dawn pricks Ellie’s neck and watches it dribble with Blood.

ELLIE whispering while looking up at him and crying: Why are you doing this?

She begins to cry more as he drags his blade more along her neck. She wraps her hand around the handle of her blade and pulls it quickly. Pushing into his stomach. She hears his breath choke and she begins to sob. Whispering to him.

ELLIE: I’m sorry. I’m sorry.

Suddenly she hears from behind her

DAWN’s voice: Ellie don’t believe it. It’s not me. KILL HER.

She stands up slowly and sniffles while looking at the Lady.

ELLIE: All my life you tormented me. And all my life I let it happen. You’re the reason I can’t survive my life anymore.

The lady begins to back up as Ellie runs towards her and roughly shoves the blade deep into her stomach. Her body falls to the ground as Ellie backs away and drops the sword. She turns to Elsen and looks at her expectantly.

ELSEN: Ellie. You saved us. We would Like to ask that you stay here. We would like you to join me in ruling the kingdom.

Dawn walks walks towards the Lady and swiftly removes the crown. He places it on Ellie’s head and takes his place beside her.

ELLIE: I-I can’t. I must go back.

ELSEN: To what? Your sad life up there? You can be happy here. You have everything you need.

Ellie looks around and see everyone looking at her and smiling. She looks at the queen, then at Roser who grins happily, then to Meister, and finally to Dawn. Who opens his arms and opens his mouth, preparing for words.

DAWN: What do you say? Will you stay here and be happy with us?

Ellie smiles and nods lightly, walking into Dawns arms.

Dawn enters and sits next to Ellie. He grabs her hand and is looking at her when the doctor enters. He turns around to look at the doctor and mouths words to him. The doctor exits and Dawn begins to cry. He lays his head on her chest and begins to speak.

DAWN: I know you won’t come back from there. I know you’ll decide to stay with me in your mind. But out here I will be so lost. I wish you could hear me. I wish you would come back. I know what you mean when you said you could feel it coming. Because I felt it too. But you know what else I felt? Love. I love you Ellie. I really do. I don’t think I could ever bear life without you if you leave me. So I say this. Please come back. Please. I love you.

At this moment he begins to cry. He hovers his face over hers and thumbs her cheek.

DAWN: I love you.

He clasps her hand and watches as her heart monitor begins to beep less and less before it finally stops.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.