In The Wrong Hands | Teen Ink

In The Wrong Hands

By Selenaaa, Stockton, California
Selenaaa, Stockton, California

Author's note:

I wrote this piece to show what will happen if we allow ourselves to endure all of this technology. If technology keeps advancing so quickly then there won't be much left for us to do. Technology will lead to a lack of jobs and some of us won't be as lucky as Toni. I hope people will realize that if we don't stop abusing technology then this is what we will lead to.

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

I imagine how she was shot. As the bullet slides through her chest, everyone runs in terror leaving her behind, and the fear in her eyes as I find her the next day in the middle of the street. I imagine the fear she had; just as, she got shot. Knowing she left a sixteen year old alone; without any guardian without a single parent. You were the only family she had, and now she was left alone with no one to guide her. Now leaving your only grandchild alone in this shattered world.
〰〰〰
“Ms. Jakes! How do you do problem number 20?” shouts one of my students.
“Ask your partner or someone around you Spencer,” I say back.
“But I don’t understand how to do it!” Yells Spencer annoyingly.
I am teaching him how to do a simple a²+b²=c² problem, while I am thinking about my bills, my savings, and everything else that could stress a person out.
〰〰〰
Just as the school bell ring to end the school day, the school’s intercom comes on with the voice of the principal comes through asking me to go to her office immediately. I slowly walk to her office because all of the students rush in my way. As I fight back the urge to trip every one of these spoiled eighth grade brats, I somehow make my way to her office.
“Toni. Can you close the door?” she says.
I close the door as I make my way to her desk, and sit on a chair that is close to her desk.
“Toni I hate to give you this news, but you had to expect it coming with all of the layoffs. Also with the new version of TechTeach500s on the market.” Ms. Hexler the principal says.
“Does this mean? Am I? I’m fired aren’t I?” I ask her.
“I’m sorry.”
“It’s fine. I’ll just pack my things. I still get my last two paychecks though, right?”
“I will make sure you get your last two paychecks, yes.”
I pack every one of my belongings. As soon as I finish packing I get a ride home, I immediately start looking for jobs, and I apply for most of the ones I see on a job search site. I sleep peacefully; just as, I am woken up to the sound of a woman saying breaking news on my television,
“Lionel Symóne the robot C.E.O. billionaire has built an Iron Man to be used in the military sometime soon!” she said with excitement, “Maybe one day the whole military will be robots! We will always have faith in you Lionel!”
I finally shut off my T.V. because I am getting tired of all of this technology talk; I am especially getting tired of Lionel Symóne. As soon as I put my head back on my pillow, my phone begins ringing as if I was getting a call. I jump off of my bed to answer it. It wasn’t a call just an email and it says I got a job I applied for. The job starts at three in the afternoon today, considering that I just woke up, and it takes two hours to get to the Capitol Building I am in a hurry to get ready. As soon as I am done, I catch a ride from my neighbor to Capitol Building. I take an elevator to the top floor and sit at the desk across from the C.E.O. of this building. As he turns around in his chair he says,
“Congrats you are my assistant I assume. Welcome to the job.”
He fully faces me and it is Lionel Symóne. I am in full shock because I utterly hate the man. He is such a billionaire because he builds robots, robots that have more knowledge than the average person. One of his robots killed my grandmother the only family I had but I do need a job and cash.
“I will pay you fifteen thousand dollars a month for your first year here; second year, eighteen thousand. Third year will be twenty five thousand. After your third year it will be around thirty thousand five hundred dollars per month unless I want to change that. For your work you will relaying my messages to me, booking my reservations, scheduling and rescheduling my meetings. You will pretty much just do as I say.”
“And I will get fifteen thousand dollars for that?”
“Of course but only for your first year. I would like you to get comfortable in your desk over there in the right of my office. I like my assistant to be close by me just in case I need something to be done immediately. Today I would just like you to confirm my meeting for tomorrow at five in the afternoon. I would also like you to tell Neil, who is working on building the second Iron Man that he needs to make this one look more human like and to call this one G.I. Joe. I loved that toy as a kid. Is that clear?”
“Yes it is clear, but how do I get a hold of these people?”
“Just use my phone,” he says while tossing his phone at me, “call Jackson Jackson to confirm the meeting that’s double Jackson, Jackson twice and call Robo Neil for the G.I. Joe. Is that better?”
“Yes much clearer.”
I make the two calls. Jackson said “Ok tell him I said sure thing.”
Neil says “G.I. Joe? More human like? I guess I got it.”
Neil and I just hung up and Lionel walks in.
“What did they say?” asks Lionel
“Neil said he got it and Jackson said sure thing.”
“Good good very well. Nice to have you as an assistant and your name is Toni Jakes, correct?”
“Yes that is right.”
“Well I have something for you.” Lionel says as he hands me three keys.
“These are for?”
“Well I did my research on you and I found out you live in an apartment and you hitch rides with your neighbor. So the black key is for your new car and the white key is for the new condo I bought you, it is in the same building as mine so I know its a good condo. The silver key, that is for this building so you can work whenever you want.”
“Mr. Symóne I can’t accept these.”
“Ms. Jakes please my assistant needs to represent my company it is my pleasure. Now we should both get going if we want you to move into that condo immediately.”

He leads the way to my new car and drives us to my apartment.He calls a moving truck to take everything to the new condo. We arrive at the condo and it’s on the top floor and you can see everything from here. You can almost see every McDonald’s and Starbucks in the city! The men arrive and put everything inside of my new condo. It is almost ten at night and Lionel looks at me and says,
“It is getting late and we should both got to sleep. Goodnight Jakes.”
“You can call me Toni.”
“I like to keep things on a professional level but I guess I’ll call you Toni.”
“Well goodnight Mr. Symóne.”
“Toni please call me Lionel.”
“Oh okay. Goodnight Lionel.”
Although it is hard to go to sleep tonight with the new job, new car, and new condo, I somehow find a way to fall asleep. I awake at noon and I start to get ready for my new job. I walk into the closet to find a bunch of professional clothes hanging from the racks. There are various sizes and I start to look for my size. I find my size in the clothes and the shoes and I change into them. Lionel and I go to work together and we just talk about life. Like how we have come to these jobs and how society has changed from when we were younger. Then he says
“Toni. I did not make society into what it has become. I just wanted a better life for the people and people have taken advantage of that. They use robots for things that they shouldn’t be using them for. I made them to help every once in a while or for people who have diseases who can’t do much or for the elder who have things like alzheimer’s or need people to watch them. But these people have taken advantage of that.”
“You are just trying to get me to feel sorry for you. You knew what you were doing when you made them; you also knew the consequences of what would happen.”
He looks at me and says
“I am not lying to yo woman; this is complete and honest truth. I am not here to impress anyone or have anybody feel sorry for myself. I use computers, although it is not on a daily basis. I am not going to lie; I do use the computer at least ten times each week. But it is not an everyday thing. I only use it for my work.”
It gets silent very quickly. Neither him nor I say a word. Then he says
“Toni I don’t think we should drive together anymore.”
I walk out of the car and walk back to my condo. I did not go to work at all today; even though I should have. He does not know what his robot did to the only family I had. He ruined my life.

Over the past few weeks Lionel has been nice. Although he is still pretty rude, he is still somewhat being nice. It started on Thanksgiving and he bought me a diamond necklace. He said,
“Just represent my company well. Okay Toni?”
A couple days ago he took me out to dinner after he got back from a meeting; he also took me to an extravagant party with the president and famous actors and singers. Later on during the party he apologized to me for being so rude to me. I'm beginning to think he is being too nice towards me.
〰〰〰
Lionel and I are going to another dinner today at Francisco’s, an italian restaurant. As I am being driven over to the restaurant, by Lionel’s chauffeur I begin to think of the robots he created. They are ruining humankind alone. This is a terrible world that we have come to. Even though Lionel made them, the people have abused them. He cannot be blamed for ruining society.
As I arrive Lionel greets me and takes me to our table. We finish dinner and we ride home in his car with his chauffeur, and we arrive at the condos and head up to my condo. We both go inside of my condo and he holds keeps looking at me. I turn toward him and say,
“Lionel. I’m sorry but I can’t forgive you.”
“Forgive me for what?”
“For creating those robots.”
“Why not?”
“One of them killed my grandma when I was sixteen. She was shot in the chest at a strike. She was the only one to die there which makes absolutely no sense. Those things you created are killers. People are the innocent ones being provoked by these things.”
“I created those ‘things’ to listen to what ‘people’ tell them to do. The robots are the slaves being demanded what to do. If anything the robots are being provoked to do these things by the humans.”
“Well what about this great ‘Iron Man’ you made.”
“The General of the army commands what ‘this Iron Man’ does.”
“What about the people who are killed by these robots. They will not have justice. They will just be dead.”
“God Toni! It is the same in any war! People die in wars on both sides! Even if it is humans versus humans! At least we will have less casualties by using robots!”
“But the people are the innocent ones being killed by these robots! I was sixteen! My parents already died and now she died too! I had no family and lived in an orphanage until I turned eighteen! I was alone. I will never get my family back.”
I sit down on my bed. Lionel sits down next to me and he hugs me.
“I’m sorry Toni. I wish I never made the robots but my only intention was to make it for people who actually needed the assistance. I had no idea that I would make them for people to abuse them. This is all my fault.”
“Lionel it isn’t your fault okay. It is the fault of people who are abusing the power of having a robot. We need to stop it.”
“How will we fix this problem though?”
“We can destroy them ourselves. We can start a revolt or something.”
“But how many people would really do that. I mean maybe a couple of people and the majority of people would be elderly. The elderly are the only people who care about the whole technology thing. That wouldn’t help us.”
“Well what ideas do you have.”
“We can put viruses into the robots and they would all shut down and it would act as if they have just done so much that they run down.”
“But how would we do that?”
“I know viruses pretty well but Neil knows viruses a lot more than I do and he knows my robots more than I know them. I can ask him for help. He has been by my side since I first started building these bots, and he and I both think that people are abusing them but he is blaming me too for not stopping the construction of them. I will ask him for help though.”
“I hope this really happens Lionel. I believe in you.”
He looks in my eyes and touches my face with his hand.
“I believe in me too,” he says, then walks away.
Today I to work alone as Lionel goes to talk to Neil. I don’t schedule any meetings but I do confirm one of the reservations in a hotel for the RoboCon that Lionel goes to every year. I just wait for a call from Lionel. His phone rings and I pick it up.
“Toni?” asks a voice that sounds like Lionel.
“Lionel?” I ask back.
“Have you confirmed the reservation for RoboCon yet?”
“Yes that is already done. What happened with Neil?”
“Don’t worry about it Toni. Just confirm another reservation in the same hotel okay.”
“Lionel.”
“Yes Toni?”
“What ever you are doing just be careful and think about it.”
“Don’t worry about me. Just confirm the other reservation.”
I confirm the second reservation as I think of the possible things Lionel could have planned. Maybe he will be killed but he will have destroyed all the robots. Also he might just stop making the robots. He could kill the robots one-by-one, by cutting them open with a knife and ruining the circuits somehow. There are so many possibilities for this plan. I wonder what he will do.
Thirty minutes have passed and Lionel still hasn’t gotten back. As I am now worried, I begin to think that maybe the CIA caught onto his plan or something. He should have been back by now. This is too long for him to be gone. As I am about to call him, he walks into our office, and I ask what happened.
“Neil and I are going to RoboCon. A bunch of people will be bringing their robots to thank Neil and I for our ‘wonderful inventions’. I need you to come also, so that you and I can be distributing the viruses.”
“What about Neil?”
“Neil will be the distraction. Everyone will be thanking him for constructing the robots. He will distract the people so we can give the virus to a selected amount of robots.”
“What do you mean by a ‘selected amount’?”
“Neil will ask each person that comes up to him the same question. He will be asking them how long they have had their robot. If he touches his nose or ear then that means that the person has had their bot for three years or more.”
“What does it matter how long they’ve had it?”
“If everyone who is it at RoboCon gets their robot shut down then people will know that there was someone or some people at the convention that wanted them shut down. We will then be looked at as top suspects because you and I wouldn’t have been with Neil. So we need it to look like the robots have like an expiration date of some sort. I will announce at the end of the convention that from that day on their will no longer be robots available to the public. They will only be available to selected people, but we will continue to make the ArmyBots.”
“Okay so do you want me to get a room also?”
“No. I want you to fly into Los Angeles that day and you, Neil and I will leave together that day. You will take my jet over there okay.”
“Sure thing.”
“You better get ready. We have a big day coming up.”

Lionel and Neil have already left to Los Angeles. He should be calling me any second now. I sit here waiting for him to call, while I watch a movie. It is called ‘Love of Steel’. The movie is about a robot and a young woman falling in love with her family’s robot. It is like a robotic version of the much beloved story of ‘Romeo and Juliet’. The ButlerBot named Fredrick ends up being shut down by her parents; as soon as, her parents find out about their daughter’s love with Fredrick. In the end Fredrick shuts down and the woman dies, because there is no life without love. Lionel Finally calls now that the movie has ended; I answer my phone,
“Hello. Toni,” says Lionel.
“Yes it’s me Lionel,” I say back.
“Neil and I have just checked into our hotel and we are about to see where the convention will be held at this year. The manager said that there will be people from all around the world coming, and there will be at least two billion people will be coming in and out of the place it is being held at.”
“That’s a lot of people. what kind of place can hold that many people.”
“It sure is a lot of people and they have been thinking of using one of the colleges for the convention.”
“Are you sure he said two billion.”
“Considering there was two billion last year, I am one hundred percent positive.”
“A lot of people waste their time with this whole robot thing. I can’t wait until it all ends.”
“I have to go now. You should go to bed. It is noon over here, and it is like midnight over there. Right?”
“Yeah.”
“You need to leave in a couple of hours, so goodnight Toni.”
“Lionel.”
“Yes Toni.”
“Are you scared?”
“Absolutely! I am terrified.”
“Me too.”
“Don’t worry. It is just something we have to do. If we do not do this, then who will?”
“I know.”
“Don’t think about it Toni.”
“I’ll try not to.”
“Goodnight and see you tomorrow.”
“Goodnight.”
We finally hang up and I begin to slowly pass out, rewatching ‘Love of Steel.
〰〰〰
My alarm on my phone wakes me up at four in the morning. I shut it off and I quickly get ready to leave. I leave and get to the airport within fifteen minutes. I am now on Lionel’s jet, and I am still being scared of doing this. I do want to end this robot trend, but I do not want to die. There will be a lot of people there; that also means there will be a lot of security guards. What if one of the security guards catches us? What if the guard then shoots us both because they love robots also? There are so many things that can go wrong by us doing this, but I must forget them and think of the good things that could happen. If Lionel and I succeed to destroy the robots; we will make people’s lives better. People will not be so anti-social and stay in their homes all day’ because they will not have someone to converse with inside their homes. They will even have jobs available to them if we do this. No more TeachTech500s. People will actually be teaching students again. Everyone will know more than what they know now.
〰〰〰
I am finally at the Los Angeles airport and Lionel’s chauffeur takes me to Lionel’s hotel; he also walks me to his hotel room. His chauffeur walks into the elevator and leaves; as soon as, I knock on the hotel room’s door. Lionel opens the door and says
“We have to go to the college right now. Neil has already arrived there and he said people are flooding in.”
He then shuts the door drives us to the college. We are both quiet until he says,
“You haven’t said a word yet. Are you okay?”
“Yes I’m fine,” I say back to him.
“Are you still scared?”
“I wasn’t scared, but then I saw the crowds of people when we were getting closer to the college.”
“Would it help if I told you that the director of the CIA called me.”
“What did he say?”
“He said he was listening to our calls and he has been keeping a close eye on me and you. He found out what we were doing and he wanted to join us.”
“Really?”
“Yes!”
“So what is going to happen?”
“He said that there will be about twenty men to help us. He also said that they’re targets are everyone, because just by them being there means that they are obsessed with them. I also means that they will believe anything they are told. He compared them to teenage girls and a boyband. If they hear one thing about them the girls will believe it.”
“So we are really doing this?”
“Yes we are.”
Lionel grabs my hand and we then exit the car. We walk into the college and head the opposite way of where everyone else is. We walk into some room, as soon as we enter the room we are handed guns. Lionel keeps asking why we need guns until someone answers him; finally, after Lionel asked ten times a man answers him. He says it is a guns that shoots bullets that are unnoticeable to the human eye; he also says the bullets are so small that you cannot see a bullet hole. Inside the bullets, there are viruses that will mess with the robot’s hard drive and they will be useless. We then follow the men into a room that surrounds the auditorium, where the convention is being held. There are multiple rooms surrounding the auditorium; there are also multiple people in each room. There are small holes under the window, so the bullets can go through. Everyone is still setting up , as Lionel puts the tip of the gun on one of the holes. A man asks Lionel
“Are you ready to begin?”
Lionel looks through the gun’s telescope, and he shoots a robot. He looks and the man and says
“Yes I’m ready.”
The man talks into his phone and says
“Go.”
Everyone in the room gets ready and they all begin to shoot.
“Why aren’t you shooting yet,” asks Lionel.
“I am just shocked,” I answer back.
“Why are you shocked? Isn’t this what you wanted?”
“I am just shocked because this is really happening.”
“All of the people here want to destroy robots for the good of the people. We all made   this happen for you.”
I smile and we both walk to the window. I put the tip of my gun and the window and I look through the gun telescope. I shoot and it feels like a dream because I have waited years for this moment to come; in fact, this isn’t just a dream. It is a dream come true.