Elementals | Teen Ink

Elementals

By Bubbles1265, Layton, Utah
Bubbles1265, Layton, Utah

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity. –Amelia Earhart

Author's note:

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

The world for Laura Montgomery was one full of excitement. In her young years, she had the perfect protection of her parents, and all of her family. They were all such happy, pleasant people, the type that would have tea parties together for their daughter, and were always hosting a party. Laura was always so happy. Until it happened.

Santa Fe, New Mexico: 7 years ago

Little 9-year-old, Laura Montgomery was in the car with her parents, listening blissfully to the music on the radio, while they drove home from her Aunt Tracie's 36th birthday. Laura was all dressed up in her purple party dress which had sparkles all down the torso, and poofed out into a tutu style skirt. She looked out the window into the cold night air and started to sing what she thought were the lyrics to the song currently playing. Her mom turned around from the passenger side to look at her daughter.

"So, what did you think of Auntie Tracie's birthday party sweetheart?" Her mom said

"I thought that it was very fun. I think that Aunt Tracie had one too many drinks though." Laura replied

"Sweetie!"

"Hey, you've got to admit that she did seem a bit -- out of it."

Her mother simply smiled and thought about how grown up her little girl had become. Her once short, bright red/orange hair, had grown long and she had giant side-bangs that covered up most of her forehead that made her seem even older. It didn't help that she had put on makeup, which was permitted for parties. She had put on mascara and some eye-liner, which made her blue eyes the color of the ocean seem huge. Sometimes, it seemed, that the iris' of her eyes, were moving like waves, but it must've been an illusion. Plus, her party dress made her look like a teenager.

"What?" Laura asked.

"Nothing" her mom replied.

"Mom, tell me. What is it?"

Her mother simply smiled and turned around. Laura was confused, but let it slide. They got to their house about two minutes later, surprised to see that a car was parked out on the curb in front of their house in Santa Fe.

"Were we expecting visitors?" Laura asked

"No, they might be here visiting one of our neighbors." Her dad replied.

"Okay."

They pulled into their driveway and noticed that the door to their house was slightly ajar.

"Dad?" Laura asked.

"It's nothing sweetie, you just wait out here with your mother for a moment." Her dad said trying to mask his concern.

He walked into the house and grabbed the broom from where it stood in the mud room. He walked around trying to see if anyone was there. He saw a light on in the room up ahead. Laura's room. He opened the door slowly to see if anyone was inside, which there were. Before he knew it, two men wearing ski masks had grabbed him and put a gun to his head.

"You try anything funny and we shoot you." said the man to his right in a raspy voice.

"Trust me, I'm a very serious person." her dad replied.

"Whatever, just come over here." said the raspy voiced man.

Her dad was brought over to a chair in the kitchen, where the two men proceeded to tying him up with some duct tape they found in the second drawer down next to the oven.

***

"Richard?" Her mother called out from the front porch.

"Is he okay?" Laura asked.

"Of course he is sweetie." She said worried pulling Laura in for a hug and squeezing her tight.

"I'm scared."

"Don't be sweetheart, everything is going to be if-"

That's when they heard a gunshot.

They both screamed and her mother ran up into the house telling Laura to stay there, crying all the time.

"Richard!" She squealed upon seeing her husband's dead body tied up in a chair.

She looked up into the eyes of the man who killed her husband.

"You monster!" She cried "You evil son of a-"

There was another gunshot and Laura's mother lay dead.

"We've got to get out of here!" Yelled the man with the raspy voice who stood back as his accomplice had murdered two innocent people.

The two broke the window leading out to the back yard and ran away.

Laura burst into the kitchen just as the two men got away, to see her parents lying dead.

"God! Run man!" She heard a man with a raspy voice say.

"NO!" She cried, seeing her mother's corpse flung across her father's. "NO! You can't be dead, you can't be! Why would this happen? Why?"

Laura dropped to her knees, just as her neighbor burst into the house worried.

"Richard!? Julia!?"

He ran around looking for them.

"Here!" Laura managed to call "Please, come here, I need your help!"

Her neighbor John rushed into the kitchen.

"Oh, God." he said once he saw Laura's parents

"Quick! I need you to take them to the hospital! Right now! We can save them. I know we can. We have to." Laura's desperate voice said.

"What happened?"

"They've been shot! Two men were in our house and they shot them!"

"Oh, God. We have to call 911! Where's the phone?"

"It's right over there!" Laura pointed to a phone sitting on the kitchen counter on the other end of the room.

John raced over to grab it and dialed 911. The phone rang for a bit and then finally:

"911 what's your emergency?" The woman's voice rang through the other end

"Oh, God, I need the police, and maybe the FBI over here immediately! I'm at 217 West Hill drive, in Santa Fe, New Mexico. My two neighbors have just been murdered! I need the authorities here NOW!"

"Alright, they're on their way."

"God bless you!"

For the next few minutes, they had to wait for the police to arrive. John paced back and forth, and called his wife Becky to tell her what happened. Laura was left crying over her parents' lifeless bodies until the police arrived. Everything after that was a blur for young Laura.

There was a knock on the door, followed by a man's voice calling "FBI! Open the door!"

John rushed over and immediately opened the door saying "Thank God you're here! Quick! In the kitchen!"

He brought the police over to the kitchen where her parents were lying dead.

"Sir, we need to examine the bodies." One woman said to John.

"Laura, sweetie. We need to go now, we can go over to my house and have hot chocolate. How's that sound?"

"NO! You cant' take me from them! They'll live! I know it!" Laura was bawling. She of course knew that her parents were gone forever, she just couldn't accept it.

***

There were interviews for her, about what the men that killed her parents looked like, and everything that she knew about her parents' untimely deaths. They even put it in the newspaper, on the front page. She told them what she knew, about the gunshots, the men (one very tall and the other about an average height with a raspy voice, both very muscular), and that her parents were dead. There was a funeral for her parents that almost everyone in town went to. Instead of living in an orphanage, she went to live with her Aunt Tracie and Uncle George in Albuquerque. They never caught the two men, but something odd is that they hadn't even stolen anything. In fact, the only room that had been touched was Laura's, from obvious movement in her items. No one knew why they were searching her room, and they wouldn't know for the next 7 years.

Albuquerque New Mexico: Present day

16-year-old Laura Montgomery sat on her bed in her Aunt and Uncle's house. She wore black and looked out the window. Today was the anniversary of her parent's death, and her Aunt's birthday which they never felt like celebrating anymore. Would you want to celebrate on the day your mom and dad died? Laura's parents' deaths had hurt so many, especially Laura. Today was always unbearable.

They would be going to the cemetery that day to visit her parents' graves that sat right next to each other. In fact, that was the only reason that Laura had gotten up that day. They would bring her parents flowers, and would eat a picnic at their graves. It was the closest they ever came to being with them again.

"Laura? Come here, we're going to visit your parents now." Tracie called.

"I'm coming." Laura said leaving her room and walking down the hall to where her Aunt and Uncle stood in the doorway. "Let's go."

They left the apartment and went down the elevator to the main lobby where they bid farewell to the manager. They then got into the car, and drove down to the cemetery near downtown.

Laura had gotten used to the city life, and enjoyed it. She was free to go down to shops with her friends Megan and Tori. Megan was quite short, with long blue hair that she always put into a ponytail; and Tori was average height, still no match for Laura's tallness, but had short brown hair that she always said was "Super cool and modern" Laura thought it was called a pixie cut or whatever.

As they got to the cemetery, they each got out of the car, and her Uncle George grabbed their picnic basket and blanket from the trunk as Laura smoothed the wrapping on the outside of the bouquet of flowers they would give to her parents. They walked up, and around a bend to get to her parents' graves.

The headstone's had become rough, from weather conditions over the years, and looked fairly faded in color. Laura kissed her fingers and placed them on their headstones. Then she sat down.

Laura sat next to where her father lay, six feet underground, and placed the bouquet right between the two graves. "I love you guys. And will always miss you."

George got out the food that they had prepared, and handed Laura her turkey sandwich. They all ate in silence. The only noises to be heard were the chirping of birds and the rustling of leaves in the wind.

Laura thought about that fateful night, when they came home from her Aunt's birthday party. She remembered the gunshots, her mothers' screams. The men running out, around the house and driving off in their car.

Suddenly, a strange man, who was very tall and muscular walked up and asked "Are you Laura Montgomery?"

"Yes, why?" Laura asked.

"I need to have a word with you for a moment. Alone."

"Okay, but it must be within eyesight of my family."

The man laughed and said, "Alright, but just out of earshot."

"Um, okay..."

The man led them over by where their car was and started talking to her.

"Laura, do you know what you are?" He asked.

"What do you mean? Like what species? You're crazy." Laura responded.

"No, not what species, what you are."

"I know what I am, I'm a sixteen-year-old girl who's talking to a crazy man."

He laughed again and said, "I'll take that as a no."

"Take what as a no?"

"You knowing what you are."

"Look, this is stupid, and you are crazy, now leave me alone or I'll call the cops."

Laura pulled out her phone and dialed a 9-1-1, and then showed him that she had it up on her phone, threatening to press the 'call' button.

"Please, just let me explain." He said.

"Alright, I'm listening." Laura responded.

"You are part of a small group of people who have a special element of power within them. It is to my knowledge that your parents died this very day, seven years ago. Correct?"

"Correct on my parents' deaths, but are you really saying that I'm an elemental? You're crazier than I thought, and a stalker; I don't have time for this." Laura reached to press the 'call' button on her phone.

"Wait!" He called.

Laura paused and looked up at him, her finger just above the button.

"Please, let me finish." he said.

"Fine," Laura said putting her phone away.

"Okay. Now where was I? Oh, yes. Now, the night of your parents' deaths, the men that killed them had only touched your room, and hadn't stolen anything, correct?" He asked.

"Yes." Laura said

"Alright, these two men were looking for any elemental tools that you may own, anything relating to your power."

"So, like an ice-ray or something?"

He laughed and said, "Not exactly, but something fairly similar."

"Okay. Um, I'm going to need proof of this stuff."

"Alright, I'll just need to take you to the special camp for elementals like yourself."

"What camp?"

"Camp Morningstar."

"What's that? Like some summer camp for 5-year-olds?"

"No, it is a training camp for elementals like you and me. It also offers a fine education program."

"You're an elemental too? Show me then."

"Alright,"

The man kneeled down and touched the concrete.

"I'm waiting." Laura said.

The man slowly raised his hand and then his body along with it, but instead of his hand leaving the ground, the concrete ground came up with his hand, followed by the rock and soil that had been underneath the layer of concrete that lay on the ground just moments before.

Laura was speechless. Her eyes widened, and her jaw dropped. She had never imagined this possible. This man was really telling the truth. Suddenly, realization hit and she figured out that she must have a power like this also.

The man slowly put the rocks, soil, and concrete that he had taken from the ground, back to its rightful place.

"Wow," Laura finally managed to say as he dusted off his hands, "Can I do that too?"

The man laughed and said, "Maybe you can, if you are an earth elemental. There is also fire, water, and air."

"Okay, I'll go to camp Sunshine, or whatever it is, but not today. It is still the anniversary of my parents' deaths and I would need to pack as well." Laura stated

"Alright," he said "I'll pick you up tomorrow morning at 8:30."

The man turned to leave but Laura stopped him.

"Wait," she said "were my parents elementals too?"

"No," he sighed "they were simple humans, which we call Raidens, much like you have believed to be. They did not have any powers, which is how things work in the elemental community. Powers will skip a generation, so one or two of your grandparents are elemental as well."

"Wow, okay. Thank you."

"Now, don't forget to pack, I'll meet you tomorrow morning like we planned."

He turned and started to walk away.

"Wait!" Laura called.

He stopped and turned around to face her again.

"I never caught your name." she said.

"It's Mr. Larkinson." He said.

He then turned back around and finished his walk away. Laura jogged over to her Aunt and Uncle who she could tell were wondering what he was asking, but not bothering to ask her on a day that she was always so emotionally unstable.

"He came to tell me that I have been accepted at a... um..."

What should I say? she thought

"I've been accepted at a boarding school away from here." she finished

"Oh, how nice! You'll get to be around other kids your age 24/7, and it would be a great learning experience. Which one is it? And where is it?" George asked his niece.

Laura just then realized that she didn't know where it was, she only knew the name. "Um, it's camp Morningstar."

"Hmm... I haven't heard of that one, it must be nice though."

"Oh, yeah. It's really nice. He's coming to pick me up at 8:30 a.m. tomorrow."

"Well then! We better get you home and get packed!"

They all cleaned up the remnants of their picnic, said their final goodbyes to her parents for the day, and filed into the car. They then drove back to the apartment, where Laura and Tracie packed her up for camp Morningstar.

Jeans; T-shirts; shorts; tank tops; sunglasses; hairbrush; her giant, oval glasses she never wore; underwear; toothbrush and toothpaste;

"Well, won't this be fun?" Tracie said, breaking the awkward silence between her and her niece.

"Yeah, more fun than you could imagine." Laura responded.

Tracie was confused by her nieces remark, but continued to help in the packing process, which lasted for almost three hours, before they packed up everything they thought she would need, clothes, books, toiletries, money, and of course, her cell phone. Just as they finished up, George called for them to come watch his favorite musical with him. In Laura's opinion, it was very corny, but Laura never complained because it always made her uncle so very happy. It was about a man who fell in love with a duck, a twist on the frog prince, but there was a song just about every twenty minutes and they were all very, very bad. Sometimes, how bad it was, actually made it comical and alright to watch. During the movie though, Laura fell asleep on the couch.

George looked over at his sleeping niece, her face, all plastered with freckles, her large, orange side-bangs that hung right over her blue eyes which were currently closed. The serene look on her face made him smile as he started watching his movie again, which was almost over. Once the show was finished, George and Tracie adjusted it so that Laura was lying down on the couch instead of sitting there, and put a blanket on her with a pillow under her head. They then went to their room and got into bed, falling asleep almost instantly.

Carl Larkinson pulled up in the parking lot of the apartment building that housed Miss Montgomery. The time was 8:29 a.m. Laura should be outside soon with her bags, ready for him to take her to Camp Morningstar. He wondered how she would get along with the other students at the Camp. He figured that she would fit in well with the crowd, she did seem to act like the average American teenager, he'd know, he had been working with teenagers for the last 6 years.

Before he knew it, Laura came out of the door to the main lobby and looked around for his car. Carl got out of the driver's side door and waved to her from across the parking lot. Once she saw him, she waved back smiling and walked over to his car her duffle bag in hand. Her Aunt and Uncle had come with her, her Aunt nothing but smiles, but her Uncle walked rather reluctantly with his arms folded across his chest, sporting a stern facial expression. Carl figured that he wasn't ready to say goodbye to her, and figured that she thought that getting away from her godparents' watchful eyes, that she would be free to do anything, like drugs, partying, and smoking. Carl knew just how to handle her Uncle's uncertain state-of-mind.

"Hello there! My name is Carl Larkinson. You must be Mr. and Mrs. Dunworth." He said with a smile.

"Oh, yes!" Tracie said shaking his hand "We're so very proud of Laura and expect that this will be a great turning point in her life.

George grunted and said "Oh, I know that it will be."

"George, are you questioning Laura's strength?" Tracie questioned "You know that she would never get caught up in the wrong crowd like that."

"Well she might have to, she will be around the same people for a year, maybe more! We don't know anything about this camp/school place! How are we to know who she'll be around?" George testified.

Carl's suspicions had been right, about her Uncle George being worried about what she would do there.

"I can assure you Mr. Dunworth, we only except the best at our camp/school and find a great intelligence and strength within your niece. There is no reason to worry about her 'getting caught up in the wrong crowd', for it absolutely could not happen." Carl assured him.

He could see George relax a little, and knew that Laura would be good to go.

"Well, I guess this is goodbye," Laura said " I'll  miss you guys a lot. I love you."

"We love you two sweetie," Tracie said, getting her husband and niece into a group hug. "We'll miss you so very, very much."

"Um, you're hugging me too tight," Laura said a little breathless.

Tracie and George let go of their niece, still holding each other, and Laura got her breath back.

"Oh, don't be so dramatic." Tracie said smiling at her niece.

They all laughed and said their final goodbyes, as Laura got into the passenger side of Carl Larkinson's car. With her things backed up in the trunk, and them both in the car, he drove them off, going for 3 hours, until coming to a dirt road that most people wouldn't even notice, much less drive off on. They continued on that road for about 45 minutes, until Morningstar finally came into view.

It was a large camp, with little cabins set off, surrounding the main lodge. All cabins were about two stories high, and from the outside, looked like they could all be individual houses. The real glory though, was the main lodge, 5 stories high and taking up the most space by far. Laura could tell that, that would be where they would have their lessons, for it was about the same size as the high-schools that she saw when she was younger, living in Santa Fe-- back to Morningstar. The housing cabins were far from each other, about a football field's distance across, and there was a good reason. For between the cabins, were areas, archery land, and some shops, for personal needs.

Mr. Larkinson drove on a little lane, between one of the cabins and a shop, up to the main lodge. He parked his car in front of the main door, and got out with Laura.

"So, what do you think of our place?" He asked

Laura wondered whether or not he was joking, he could see her gaping at the place, but she said "It's wonderful."

He smiled and got her bags out from the back of his car, and handed them to her. Once she had everything, he took her in to the main office that was much like one at an ordinary school. This place didn't turn out to be as magical as she had expected it to be, but it was still super amazing. After her parents' incident, she had been home schooled by her Aunt, and she hadn't ever been to a high-school, let alone a boarding school.

Laura walked uncertainly into the front office and was introduced by Mr. Larkinson. They were then taken to the Headmaster's office, to see a fairly muscular man who seemed intimidating, wearing pink of all things.

"Hello there, Mr. Larkinson. I see you've brought us a new student!" He said in a slightly raspy voice, all smiles.

"Yes, sir. This is Laura Montgomery" Mr. Larkinson said. The way that he said 'sir' made it seem like it was painful for him to say the word to his boss. Laura wondered why, but didn't have time to question him.

"Well then!" Mr. Tread said "It's very nice to finally meet you!"

"What do you mean 'finally meet me?" Laura asked.

"Oh, I always look forward to meeting students! After all, I sometimes see their Elemental grandparents in the community.

"But my grandparents died years ago." Laura said "How could you know about me?"

Mr. Tread laughed "Oh, sweetie. Your grandparents were alive until just after your parents died. About two days actually. It's so sad."

"What? My grandparents were alive?" Laura asked

"Now, What is your favorite  color?" He asked, changing the subject.

"Um-- purple, why?" Laura responded.

"Just one of my questions" He said with a smile " What hospital were you born in?

"St. Vincent Hospital, sir."

"Ah, yes. Very nice. What is your favorite cold dessert?"

"Ice cream of course,"

"Yes, but what type of ice cream? What flavor?"

"Oh, um... Strawberry. I don't see what these questions have to do with anything--"

"Oh, my dear. These questions have everything to do with everything." He cut her off, "Now, how many close friends do you have? What are they like? What are their names?"

"I have two close friends, Megan and Tori. Megan is short, has a blue ponytail and is rather bossy, and Tori is average height, has very short brown hair, and always stays with the most modern trends."

"How nice," he replied to her answer "Those are all my questions."

"What? Can you please explain to me what they are for now?"

"Not now, but tonight I will. You should head off to class." Mr. Tread said, giving her a class schedule and a set of books "Carl, if you would be so kind as to give Miss Montgomery a tour of our grounds, and then escort her to her first class?"

"Of course, sir." Carl said to his employer "Come on Laura."

They walked out of Mr. Tread's office, and Mr. Larkinson then proceeded to show Laura the school.

"This is the mess hall," He said opening the door to their right, revealing a very large room, with long rows of benches around it.

"It's big." Laura stated.

"That it is," He said closing the door, "Now this room here to our left is the standard mathematics class. And this one here is the 'History of Elemental Life' class, then of course is the Music class..."

They continued going from room to room, until they finally came to Laura's first class: Advanced Mathematics. This was a huge disappointment for her. She wanted to work on as much element related things as possible. At least, this was a warm up for her feelings of being a fish out of water.

"Excuse me, Ms. Fringe," Mr. Larkinson said " This is Laura, a new student here."

Laura blushed as all eyes were on her, even those of the boys, some of which were really cute.

"Well, it's good to meet you Laura." Ms. Fringe said smiling "Please, take a seat."

Laura smiled back at her, and took a seat in the back of the class, next to a heavy girl with frizzy, light-brown hair, and another girl with jet-black hair. The second girl was very small, and very pretty. Laura noticed that the small girl was quite odd. She had her eyes focused on an empty spot in the wall, and was always fumbling things in her hands, dropping them and not picking them up. She was also wearing a shirt that was quite loose on her, and with her petite stature, Laura would have thought she'd show it off, it was from that, that she noticed that all of the students were wearing boy-cut T-shirts of a certain color: there were green, red, blue, and yellow.

It wasn't until the end of the class, that Laura realized that the girl with black hair, was blind, her books were in braille (which Laura didn't notice during class), and her eyes were gray and lacking pupils.

"Hi," Laura said, trying not to startle her "My name's Laura, what's yours?"

"Kristin." She said to Laura's shoulder "You're the new girl, right? I remember Ms. Fringe saying that you were our new student."

"Yeah," Laura said "I'm the new girl."

"Well, I'm excited to find out what your element outcome will be tonight." Kristin said smiling.

Suddenly, the girl with frizzy hair came over and introduced herself, hugging Kristin and saying "Hi, Laura, I'm McKay, Kristin's best friend."

Laura smiled extended her hand to shake, which McKay took.

"I'm excited to be here, and learn all about Elemental stuff." Laura said smiling.

"Well, you're not going to do any of that today, you find out what your element is tonight. Tomorrow you start learning how to use your power." McKay explained.

That cleared up a lot of confusion for Laura, especially Kristin's comment on what her element outcome would be.

"So, what elements are you guys?" Laura asked.

"Oh, I'm an earth Elemental and Kristin here is an air Elemental." McKay explained.

"Oh, that's so cool!" Laura said enthusiastically.

"What element are you hoping to get?" Kristin asked as they walked out the door.

"Oh, I don't know... that's a tough question." Laura said

Kristin laughed and said "Well, you have some time to think about it. What time is it McKay?"

"It's 12:30, time to go to lunch." McKay said.

"Yay!" Kristin exclaimed "I'm so hungry!"

They went down to the mess hall and all ate their lunches happily. Suddenly, a boy came over and sat across from the three, smiling at them.

He had light brown hair, and amber eyes that Laura couldn't look away from. Kristin seemed confused.

"What is it? Why are you guys suddenly so quiet? Laura, can you please finish now? I want to know all about your family." Kristin said.

"Well, we used to have a cat named Davis," She said with her head down, but looking at the boy through her bangs and eyelashes "But he died when I was 12."

"I'm sorry to hear that." The boy said.

Laura blushed a bright red and looked up.

"Wow, I can't even see your freckles anymore. I wish I still could." He said.

Laura was sure that if she could blush any brighter, that she would have at his comment.

"Whaaaat? Who said that?" Kristin said.

"My name's Drew." The boy said.

"I'm Laura." Laura said, "And this is McKay and Kristin."

"Oh, we've known Drew forever." Kristin said, "Well, I have."

"From here, or somewhere else?" Laura asked.

"Here, of course." Kristin said "We both came at an early age, I came when I was 9 and Drew came when he was 7."

"Yup," Drew said "I was pretty scared. So, Laura, you're the new girl. My friend told me that he was in your last class, we don't get new students often." Drew said.

Laura's face, which had paled, suddenly went bright red again. She hadn't ever been noticed by a boy before, let alone had a boyfriend.  She hardly even had friends, she was so shy, Megan was rejected by most people and was only friends with Laura and Tori, Tori though was friends with everybody. Most of the time it was only Laura and Megan, due to Tori's tight schedule. Laura could tell though that Megan and Tori met up behind her back. Not that she cared though. Megan and Tori had always been best friends and Laura was just happy that they accepted her in the first place.

Drew started eating and the girls did also. Just then, Laura noticed that he was wearing a blue T-shirt. She had assumed that the different colored shirts were probably for the different types of elementals: yellow for air; red for fire; green for earth; blue for water.

That would imply that Drew was most likely a water elemental.

"So," Drew said "What element are you expecting, or wanting to control?"

"Well, I honestly don't know. I mean, they're all so cool; I don't have any control over what I get though, so what's the point in forming a preference anyway, if you're most likely not going to receive power over that one?" Laura asked.

"Good point ginger." Drew replied

This time, instead of blushing, Laura was annoyed. She hated the redhead stuff  people said, even if it wasn't an insult. She hated it.

"Sorry," Drew said "

The lunch bell sounded and they all  headed off to their next classes; for Laura that would be: History of Elemental Life with Mr. Rowan.

As she got to the class, she was very excited and noticed immediately that Drew was sitting in the third row, next to an empty seat. Laura rushed over and took the seat next to him.

"Hi, Drew." Laura said.

"Hello there, Laura." Drew said. He smiled, and she did too. There was only one reason the rest of the girls weren't swooning before him in Laura's mind, and that was because he was a total geek mathlete, but Laura preferred that way better than a mindless character. He wasn't necessarily tough either, he had weak, noodle-arms, but that didn't matter to Laura, she only cared about personality, not physical characteristics, but with Drew, none of that mattered.

They both turned their attention over to Mr. Rowan who was beginning his lesson.

"Now," Mr. Rowan began "today, I will tell you about the ancient Water Elemental clan. They were all banished to live away from the Fire Elementals. You see, the Water clan and the Fire clan were polar opposites, and they would often harm each other accidentally.

One girl's hand shot up.

"Yes, Miss Harmond?" he asked

"Um, I was wondering, are there are any other feuds between elements?" She asked

"Excellent question my dear, but that lesson is for another day."

"Now, class, I would like you to open your textbooks to page 86 and start working on questions 8-26. Go on! Get to it!"

Everyone started working on the questions, often having to refer to notes and their textbooks. 2 minutes later, The same girl from earlier, Miss Harmond raised her hand high in the air.

"Finished already Miss Harmond?" Mr. Rowan asked.

"Yes Mr. Rowan." She replied.

"Come up here, then, dear." he said gesturing toward the front of the classroom, "Please write your solutions up on the board, dear."

She stood up and walked proudly up to the chalkboard at the front of the room. She grabbed a piece of white chalk and started writing down her outcomes.

' 8) Earth 9) Fire 10) Water 11) 69 Fire soldiers-' The list went on and on

"That's Sara Harmond," Drew whispered, "She's a total teacher's pet. Always has a question to ask, and always has an answer to Rowan's questions for us."

Suddenly, Sara turned around and walked purposefully back to her chair, smiling ear to ear.

"These answers are perfect, Miss Harmond." Mr. Rowan said "Well done."

Sara nodded proudly and said "Thank you Mr. Rowan"

Laura looked around at all the people that had just about every question answered, and realized just how clueless she was. It must've been obvious she was worried because Drew butted in "Don't worry, I was just as clueless as you were when I first got here; so was everyone else."

"Thanks, Drew." She said relieved, "I needed that."

"No problem," He said smiling.

After that, Laura went into a daze, wondering what element she would be. They would all be good, which one would she like to control though? She wasn't much of a nature girl, so Earth wouldn't be the best option possible; she was terrified of heights and flying; that left fire and water. She always loved being around campfires, it reminded her of when she was a little girl, going on camping trips with her parents, but she always loved being in the water. She then thought of childhood memories, she hadn't thought much of before: once, on vacation at Venice beach, she walked into the water, when a huge wave came up to her and she was so afraid. She put her hands up to protect her face but the wave parted around her and went on without a drop on her. Another time, on a camping trip in the forest with her parents, she and her dad were sitting by the fire, as her mom was sleeping in their tent. Their fire was about to die, and her dad suggested they put it out and call it a night, but Laura wanted to stay out there with him and have daddy daughter time, which rarely ever happened. Suddenly, and without reason, the fire burst out tall, and bright, as if by magic.

Based on these experiences, Laura was more confused than ever, she was expecting either water or fire, but  either of those experiences could have happened from other, natural causes. She could, very well, be any of the elements,but it was probably fire or water. She contemplated the possibilities of which element she would be, and tried to remember any other weird experiences she had with the elements. The next thing she knew, the bell rang and they had to leave for their next class.

Laura continued going around, from class to class, trying to work out some simple questions, taking notes, and thinking about what element she was. One thing was for sure, she couldn't wait until tonight.

The final bell rang just a little too late for Laura's liking. From what she understood, once classes were over, they would have dinner in the mess hall and then go right to her element ceremony. She hurried into the mess hall, sitting with Kristin, McKay, and Drew, eating as fast as possible.

"Well," McKay said "I can tell you're anxious about your ceremony tonight."

"It's that obvious, huh?" Laura asked.

"Um, yeah." Drew replied, "Crazy obvious."

"Why thank you, you are very kind." Laura said sarcastically.

"Sorry, ok?" Drew apologized.

"Meh, I'm too nervous to care right now."

"Nervous? What happened to 'all of them are good, what's the point in forming a preference?'"

"Shut up, Drew."

He smiled and continued eating.

"You have an expectation for an element now?" McKay asked Laura.

"Well, I'm expecting water or fire." Laura replied "What was it like for all you guys, your ceremonies?"

"Well," Drew said "first you stand in this weird circle thing, and then they place things of elemental properties around you. Then-" he smiled "You'll just have to find out."

"Oh, come on Drew!" Laura said frustrated.

"Hey, it's all part of the experience." He said still smiling.

"Fine." Laura groaned.

She was more anxious than ever to get to her ceremony.

Luckily, that's when the bell rang, and it was time for everyone to go to the ceremony.

"Attention all students" Said a voice over the loud speaker "Today, we have a new student, Laura Montgomery. We need all students to report to the amphitheater as soon as possible. Thank you."

"Come on guys! Let's go!" Laura called to her friends.

She dragged them out of the mess hall and followed all of the other students, going outside, over into the field and between two of the cabins.

It was just then, that she realized that she didn't know what to do.

"Um, so what do I do now, exactly?" She asked embarrassed.

"You go over to Mr. Tread. He'll get everyone settled and will get you into the starting placement for the ceremony." Drew explained.

"Thanks" Laura said, and did as he told.

"Mr. Tread?" She called

"Ah! Laura! Good to see you! I can't wait to see what element you'll be able to master! Follow me, child." He said smiling.

Laura smiled back and he took her over into a circle, in the center of the amphitheater.

"Everyone take a seat and silence yourselves!" Mr. Tread said to the students.

Everybody sat down and all was silent.

"Thank you." He said "Now, let the ceremony begin!"

Everyone cheered and Laura smiled.

"Now, relax Laura, and just go around to the elemental representations. You'll know which one yours is." He said.

People then placed down each element, a small ball of fire, an orb of water, a few leaves, and a small cloud.

Suddenly, they all started floating and circling her. she looked all around her, confused. They kept spinning and spinning and Laura didn't know what she was supposed to do; but then they stopped as quickly as they had started floating. Laura assumed that she was supposed to be facing her element. She saw two though. Confused murmurs swept the audience. The fire and water started increasing in size and circling around her. The other elements shook and dropped. There were concerned looks all around in the audience. Suddenly, Laura started rising up, and the fire and water were swirling up around her, like binding her in rope. Then, they fused into her. That's when everything went black.

***

Gasps came from everyone, they had just witnessed a girl with two elements. Everyone gathered around Laura to see if she was alright. She had risen, surrounded by water and fire. Her eyes had glowed too. That had never happened before. Once the elements entered her body, she dropped to the ground unconscious.

"Out of my way! Coming through!" bellowed the school's main doctor, Mrs. Raqulin.

Everyone parted and let Mrs. Raqulin and the nurses through to see Laura. Just then, Drew, McKay, and Kristin barged through the crowd.

"Oh my God, is she okay?!" McKay asked.

"What just happened?!" Drew asked.

"What the heck's going on? What happened to Laura?" Kristin asked.

"Everyone needs to give her space!" Dr. Raqulin said "Back up children!"

"But we're her best friends Ma'am!" McKay argued.

"Friends or not, I don't care, she needs medical attention immediately!" Dr. Raqulin said "Get me a stretcher!"

"How could this have even happened?" McKay asked.

"I don't know. We've never seen anything like it. There are no records, or anythi-
finally!" Dr. Raqulin exclaimed

Just then, a stretcher pulled up and Dr. Raqulin and the nurses rushed Laura to the hospital wing on the fifth floor of the main building; her friends close behind.

"We need to work in peace." Dr. Raqulin said to the students "You may not enter until given permission."

She slammed the door and everyone tried to get a glimpse of what was happening through a little window in the door, which was soon covered up by one of the nurses.

Everyone had no choice but to leave

***

Laura woke up in a hospital room filled to the brim with flowers and get well cards she assumed were from her family, Megan, and Tori. Man, had she had a strange dream. She inspected herself, bandaging on her head, hands, and chest. She swung her legs over the side of her bed and stood up. She walked over to the nearest basket and group of cards. The basket had perfume bottles, and stuff like that, there was also a lot of red and blue items. One card, with a horrifically drawn picture of her surrounded by fire and water, just like in her dream, really sparked her interest; and concern.

She immediately opened the card and skimmed through the message 'you are amazing--never seen it before--first in FOREVER!--best wishes--love you--' finally

"'From your fellow students at Camp Morningstar: Jake, Mary, Olivia, Benjamin, and Jennifer?!" She read aloud.

She then ransacked the place reading who all of the cards were from. There were lots there, considering all of the students at Camp Morningstar. Lots of the gifts were from McKay, Kristin, and Drew. She wanted to hug them all, and was determined to.

She left her room, completely forgetting that she was wearing only a hospital gown, and got halfway down the hall, before she ran into a nurse.

"Miss Montgomery!" she said surprised "You're awake!"

"Of course I'm awake." Laura said.

"But you've been unconscious for a week!" The nurse said.

Laura stopped dead in her tracks "What!?"

The water in the glass, that the nurse held on a tray, started shaking.

"Ever since your ceremony, you've been unconscious. That was about 8 days ago."

Laura only then realized that all of those gifts couldn't have come in only a few hours. She looked down at herself and then realized that she was wearing her hospital gown.

She blushed bright red and asked "Um, is there any chance, I can get my clothes back?"

The nurse blushed too and said "Of course, they should be in your room, in the dresser right next to your bed."

"Thank you" Laura said and marched back to her room.

When there, she found a note on top of her dresser.

Laura,

Because of your amazing ceremony, and making of history, we didn't have any Morningstar T-shirts for you. So we made you some of a different color.

- Ronald Tread

Laura opened the top drawer, to find some purple T-shirts sitting there for her. Mr. Tread had given her T-shirts of her favorite color. She smiled and put them on with a fresh pair of jeans.

Once she was dressed, she put on some perfume found in one of the gift baskets and walked downstairs from the top floor Hospital of the main building, to the classrooms below. The funny thing was, though, that the classes were empty.

She walked around, every room, on every floor; empty. Laura decided to ask Mr. Tread what was going on.

She walked into his office and, luckily, he was there.

"Mr. Tread!" She called.

He turned around and smiled "Hello there Laura! Good to see you up! I see you like my personalized shirt for you."

"Yeah, um, I was wondering, where are all the students? All of the classrooms are empty."

"Well, that's simple! We switch off from lessons to training every other day. Today is a day that you train. Learn to use your power, and other abilities."

"Okay, cool. Where exactly do we train?" Laura asked

"That would be outside, but I don't think that in your condition-" He started

"Okay, thanks Mr. Tread! Bye!" She fled the room.

Now all she had to do was find her friends.

She burst through the front entrance, outside, where she found that the spaces between cabins were being put to good use for training. There were students with bows, swords, and students using their magical given talent. Everyone looked at her, but for once, she wasn't feeling shy.

She looked around, at everyone, everywhere; trying to find her friends. Finally, in an Elemental power arena, she found them. She tried running over, but that caused pain, so she jogged to them. Luckily, they met her half-way, where she hugged them tight.

"Hi, guys." Laura said.

"We've been worried sick about you! Thank God you're okay!" Drew said.

"You've been out for 8 days! We were starting to wonder if you would ever wake up. Luckily, you did!" McKay said.

"I missed you so much!" Kristin said.

Laura giggled and they all walked over to the Elemental arena.

"Hmm," McKay said "I wonder if you're capable of using your powers."

"I don't know. Let's see." Laura responded.

"First, let's see you try and move this water." McKay said.

"Um, can I see how to do it first?" Laura asked.

"Of course, Laura." Drew said.

He turned and faced the water, and brought his hand down, close to it. It seemed that wherever his hand went, the water followed.

"Just concentrate on the water, and move it around. That simple." Drew said "Now, you try, take it from my hand."

This book has 1 comment.

Bubbles1265 said...
on Oct. 22 2014 at 4:37 pm
Bubbles1265, Layton, Utah

Hello to all my readers. Please note that this is my first book and it is obviously not going to be my best. Please give me feedback so that I can better my work as I continue on in my writings. Thank you! -Bubbles1265