Wasteland | Teen Ink

Wasteland

By Ronikat, Town city, California
Ronikat, Town City, California

Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -Dr. Seuss

I wake up.

This is a surprise in itself. Fire, explosions, and the end of the world are nothing any boy should be able to live through. Pain hits me as I recall everything.

The destruction.

People running through the streets. Cars full of people in their desperation to get out, driving over the people on foot. Birds screeching. Smoke. Flame. I turned, tried to run, and tripped. People stepped over me and kept running. A ripping sound swept through the earth, tearing apart the streets and swallowing people whole. Suddenly, a shake. The earth rattles, as if trying to shake mankind off its surface.

Silence. White noise. Blackout.

I woke up here.

I survived the apocalypse.

I sit up and groan. Immediately, I notice my surroundings are nothing that I have ever seen before, not even in movies. The grass is impossibly lush, inches of green stretching up. Big, tall trees with dark, wet bark surround me, going up for miles with incredibly thick boughs, as if they had been growing for centuries. Cool air fills my lungs, and I marvel at the clearness of the sky, azure and clean.

I rub my head, attempting to rejuvenate myself, and stop. I touch my head again, and look at my hands.

No longer a soft cream color as my skin was in the last world, but now rough and textured. I turn my hand over, and look the the patterned hues of green and brown, an awesome camouflage color.

I stand up, and my head rights itself. I see the trees, and remember how much safer I felt in trees than the ground, where things can attack you from any direction. In a tree, high above anything, you would have the advantage.

I walk to the nearest trunk, and experimentally grab the bark. My new skin grips the tree, and I climb with inhuman ease. The grooves in my skin are like shoe treads. It's easier to climb when my skin is made for this. I reach the top, my breath catches. I look down, and notice how far I am from the ground. I climbed this in half a minute?

Bark stretches to the floor, miles below me, the ground a dark spot far away, like a forgotten nightmare. Speed must be a new asset to my skill set. Hooray for Charles Darwin and his theory of evolution, I think. As I look out over the leafy emerald treetops, I see birds with neon-colored plumage swooping around the branches. Animals that look like monkeys with tails the length of cars leap, chittering excitedly.

It's the new world, I realize. I flex my strong, stringy muscles, and wonder how far I could jump if I tried.

All of a sudden, a chunk of wood flies past my ear. With my lightning reflexes, I am suddenly sitting on the end of the bough I was on. I look back, and notice a gaping hole in the limb near the trunk of the tree. As I see it, a pitch-black panther with teeth like serrated steak knives emerges from the greenery. I panic, and my mind begins focusing on random details that no ordinary panther should have. The black irises, enlarged and focused. Its long tail lashing back and force, whipping the leaves around it. As it stalks forward, its impossibly sharpened claws grip the tree almost like a human hand, but twice as deft.

I try to take a cautious step backwards, but my foot finds only air. The panther advances, and I have nowhere left to run.

So I jump.

I fly 50, 70, 100 feet from where I used to be, scattering bright birds and sending feathers twirling to the ground.

The breath whooshes out of me as I slam into a tree with a thud, but I manage to regain my balance. I turn and look back, only to see the panther swiping confusedly at the place I jumped from. It looks at me, and its irises turn from deep black to shimmering green, then back again. It growls, showing sharpened canines, but the sound of frustration is lost from such a distance. It turns back and slinks away, its tail stirring up the leaves.

I breathe a sigh of relief, and move to sit more comfortably on the limb. I lean my back against the rough bark, and relax for the time being. I must not have been awake for very long, but my eyes drift shut and I find my way to sleep.

"Lucas! Run!" my mother's last words ring out in my ears, her frantic shrieking forcing my dream self to stumble awkwardly and trip out of our old house. The minute I am out the door, flames erupt in the doorway, barely missing Drake as he stumbles out of the smoke. His foot catches on the step, and he falls into me, tumbling us both safely away from the house. I pull Drake to his feet, and we keep running.

We are still running when the screaming starts. Other people fill the streets in the mad dash to run away from the earth itself. Somewhere in the mob, I lose sight of my brother, but I keep running. Then I trip, and it is over. My eyes shut, and I drift away.

To wake up here. My eyes fly open, and I catch myself just in time to avoid falling right out of the tree. I hang on, and then climb carefully back up. Then I recall my nightmare - the last night.

I remember my mother. I remember that I failed to save Drake. And since there is no one there, I am still human enough to cry.

When my hiccuping sobs finally die down to dry coughs, I wipe my eyes. I begin to notice a sharp pang in my stomach, and I decide to finally go in search of food.

I swing down the tree, dropping to the floor. I pick a direction and walk, not caring where I end up. As I get hungrier, I move faster, until I am sprinting past leaves and bushes, turning plants and birds into blurs.

After a while, I smell the stench of rotting food. I slow down and peer down at once might have been a fish-type creature, but with fins in the oddest places and a skeleton as big as my torso. I then know that the only creature I've seen capable of catching, killing, and eating this is that panther. With this realization, I start up a sprint again, running as far away as I can. When I judge I am a safe distance away, I stop and climb a tree in search of food.

On the way up, I see thick, dark green moss growing abundantly, and small buds on each one. As I near the top, the buds seem to be bigger, until I reach the highest branches and see bright yellow fruit hanging from a patch of it. I climb over to it and pull it off its stem, realizing how oddly heavy it is.

I weigh it in my palm, feeling the perfect roundness and considerable size of the fruit, along with the soft, smooth outside. I bite into it without thinking, and suddenly my eyes start watering. I cough, and then I manage to swallow the extremely sour fruit. I eye the neon yellow sphere again, this time taking a tentative bite. I swallow and take another taste, and another, until it feels familiar to me and I am munching down the fruit happily.

When I finish the large fruit, I sit back and wonder where I could find meat. My mind goes back to the monkeys, but I am repulsed at eating such delicate creatures. I briefly consider the idea of eating a panther, but as I remember the claws and teeth I dismiss it.

I am still sitting here an hour later when I hear a voice.

"Hey."

I fall out of the tree with shock and wind up laying on the ground. I squint my eyes up at a figure standing above me. Its skin is different from mine; this creature doesn't have skin, but more like many gray plates over its body, like a rhinoceros.

I stand up, and realize the figure is shorter than me when it speaks again.

"Lucas?"

I freeze when it says my name. Then I recognize the voice of my little brother.

"Drake?"

I crush him in a hug, and he hugs me back tightly.

"I can't believe you're alive," he says.

"Me neither. How did you make it through the fire!?"

"I didn't burn. Ash and smoke and fire touched me, but I didn't burn. Mom did. I couldn't save her. I let her die!" He began crying, and I needed to remind myself that he was only nine.

I pat his back awkwardly, holding back my own tears. I sit him on the ground and promise to be right back. I climb quickly to the patch of fruit I was at before, and pick up one. I swing back down and hand it to him.

He makes a face at the offering. "I don't like fruit," he reminds me.

I feel us falling back into the familiarity of being brothers. "What have you been eating?" I question him.

He smiles wryly. "Really wanna know?" he asks.

"Yes."

"Those big cats."

"The huge black panthers?" I gape at him

"Yep, they live in packs," he says nonchalantly, trying not to grin.

"But how? They're enormous!"

"Well, um... I kind of found out they like to fight, so I hit one with a stone and it got mad and tried to hurt another one. The other panthers turned on it and killed it. Then I ate it."

"Gross," I say.

"Well, it's better than eating fruit."

"Nope," I say, taking a big bite of fruit.

"Well, I'm hungry. I know where a pack of them are... Come on!"

We climb another tree, and stand looking down on the five gigantic panthers, asleep.

"They look so passive," I say.

"Not for long," my brother responds with a grin. "Watch this." He holds up a rock he found, and prepares to throw it. It leaves his hand, and flies accurately through the air. I hear the sickening thud as it lands squarely on the back of the panther in the middle.

Snarling, the panther wakes up and lashes out at his companion sitting next to him. The other wakes up with a start, and immediately throws herself at the first panther. I see their claws come out, and the other three panthers wake to the sound of flesh ripping. The two panthers roll over each other, teeth bared and claws slashing violently.

I stare at the scene, aghast. "How can you make them do this?" I ask my brother incredulously.

He watches the action unfolding below us unemotionally. "We need food."

I look at my brother more closely. This is not the little nine-year-old I once knew.

Below us, I hear a pitiful whine. The female manages to pin the panther my brother had hit with the rock, and she rips into his shoulder with her enlarged canines. He bares his teeth weakly, but the other panthers decide to help the female once they know she will win.

"Food soon," my brother promises.

I try to turn away as the female strikes the last blow, but something compels me to watch. As the dying panther's eyes close, I see the black pupils shine amber, then fade to black.

Its body twitches, then lies still, covered in ripped grass from the battle. The other panthers slink away, running as a pack away from the scene of crime.

My brother practically pushes me out of the tree trying to swing to the floor. "Come on!"

I follow much more slowly, not wanting to advance at the repulsive sight. "Drake, it may not be safe yet. Wait a minute so we know the other ones are gone!"

"Come on! Why're you so worried? I've done this before; you haven't. Trust me, it's fine now."

I follow him cautiously. Once I am on the ground, I walk slowly to the carcass. "Ew."

Drake rolls his eyes. "How else are we going to get meat?"

"I still don't feel safe."

"It's FINE. Stop being so uptight!"

I breathe, and force myself to relax. We'll be fine. He's done this before. He knows what he's doing. Besides, why would the other panthers come back?

Drake circles the dead panther cautiously, not wanting to touch the still sharp claws. He slowly reaches out a foot and kicks it. "Yep, it's dead for good." He steps closer, and touches the long tail of the giant cat.

I swallow a lump in my throat. "It's so pretty. How can you kill it like that?"

"I don't want to kill it. But we have to kill them, or lack of food will kill us. Or they will kill us. I'm sure they wouldn't be reluctant to eat you!"

I'm suddenly aware of a prickling sensation at the back of my neck. "Do you hear anything?"

"No. Stop being so paranoid."

I wet my dry lips and step closer. "How do you eat this?"

"Well, the first time I had a fire... Can you make one?"

"Yes. Let me go find some wood; I'll be right back."

"Great."

I walk through the incredibly tall trees, careful to look out for any panthers. I stoop to pick up a branch, and that's when I see it.

It's huge. The only thought running through my head is thought of fleeing. But something keeps me rooted there.

The biggest panther. I hadn't noticed its size before when she was killing the other, but now I am so close, I see the muscles rippling beneath her glossy black coat. Her tail lashes back and forth, as if she were considering how to eat me.

One look, and I know she is invincible. There is no way I can kill it; the only option is to run.

So I do.

The branch I am holding drops to the floor as I run with superhuman speed, back to my brother. "RUN!" I yell frantically at my brother.

He looks up from the dead panther, startled. "Wh-"

"RUN!" I shove him forwards, away from the direction of the panther. "It'll be here in a second!"

"What ar-" his sentence is cut off as the panther barrels out from the underbrush and slams into him, claws extended.

He yells from shock, but I am thankful of his rhino-like armor. I run towards him and the panther, desperate to intercept.

Before I can do anything, razor-sharp claws rip through the plates, shredding his side. He coughs, and blood spatters the grass from his gaping wound.

"Drake!"

He falls to the floor, eyes closing. He looks to the sky as he shudders with his last breath. I throw myself at his body, shielding him from the panther.

"No," I let tears fall, landing gently on his chest and ascending to the grass. I want to stay and cry, but first the panther must be killed.

I throw myself at it, pummeling with closed fists at her horrible black eyes. "You killed my brother!"

She snarls as I leap onto her back. I dig my fingers into her fur, hanging on and ripping out fur. She circles, lashing her tail at me as I try to gouge out its flesh with my mottled hands. Her canines snap dangerously close to my face as I try to figure out how to kill it.

Death is a suitable punishment for what she did to my brother. I owe this to him, the boy who survived the apocalypse with me, the boy who only had nine years of life.

It needs to die.

Spontaneously, I launch from her back into the nearest tree, traveling upwards as easily as running. I see it come after me, claws shredding the bark as she climbs.

As she easily gains on me, I realize my mistake. I am not faster.

I cannot win.

But I can try. It jumps onto my back, knocking me out of the tree, and I fall. She lithely pounces on my, pinning my chest to the grass with claws the size of steak knives.

As the claws bite into my skin, I feel my blood run in rivulets off my chest. I stretch my hand out, touching my brother's small fingers. Sorry. I didn't do enough. I lost. I failed. This is my fault. I look into the panther's eyes, gleaming green as the sun begins to set. The needle-sharp claws sink deeper, knifing through layers of my skin, exposing gleaming red rivers that overflow around the pitch-black paw, staining it with my blood. I realize something as I die.

We were never meant to survive the apocalypse.

The apocalypse wasn't the end of the world, it was the start of a new one. To cleanse the earth of humans. And I am not meant to be part of this.

It was always supposed to end this way.

The claws rip through what remains of my body, ending the life that was not supposed to exist.

The sharp red pain fades to black, and black waves sweep my consciousness from the shore in a painful jerk, ripping my soul from my body. I go in an instant, leaving the body behind, nothing but an empty shell to show for the life that survived.

The forest is a lush green, large leaves deceptively calm, masking the violence that occurred under them. Nothing seems to be changed, because from this far away the bleeding bodies of two young boys are invisible. It is as it should be; the start of a new world, without humans, clean and unbroken.

This book has 1 comment.

Bob69555 said...
on Jun. 23 2014 at 3:26 am
Did anyone read this story? I'm interested in reading it if anyone found it interesting.