Icy Peril | Teen Ink

Icy Peril

By JCPB1999, Melbourne, Florida
JCPB1999, Melbourne, Florida

As wind and snow buffeted the side of the Antarctic base, Bobert, a spelunker looked out into the distance of the one-foot circular window. He could barely see out past the lights, which were only three feet away, all around the perimeter, to help people to locate the base during a storm. He walked over to his partner, Gogger, who was also a professional spelunker, and asked if he was ready. Gogger said nothing and just nodded his head. They walked to the center of the base, which had a large metal cylinder and a door leading into the inside of the structure.
Bobert tapped the glowing button next to the door, and the door opened up. They walked inside and there was a small metal-like basket that acted like an elevator with a few metal bars that connected to the top of the basket. These bars were connected to a one-inch thick metal cable leading to a winch connected to the roof. Bobert waited for Gogger to get into the basket, and slowly pulled a lever on the side of the basket towards him to close the doors and slowly start their decent. As they traveled down the temperature of the air around them dropped. When the elevator stopped they both noticed that the walls of the elevator shaft had frost coating them, even though the walls had a foot of insulation around it. Bobert pushed the lever away from him, and the door opened.
They walked into the small underground base and started to suit up for their trip near Lake Vostok, an underground lake where life is suspected to be, without sunlight, and the conditions of an icy planet. If life was to be found there, there is a possibility that there could be life on other planets. The lake sits around 1700 feet below the surface that is the depth of the base that Bobert and Gogger are in.
The explorers grabbed helmets with a headlamp that emanated a cool blue color, extremely insulated jackets and pants that didn’t affect their flexibility when they moved around. They also brought masks to keep their faces from freezing and goggles that circulated the wearer’s body heat to keep the eyes warm. Finally they grabbed the travel bags all explorers use when they go into caves and checked their contents. Gogger grabbed a 3-foot dull gray tube and a small duffle bag attached to it. They walked towards the air lock to exit the underground base and pressed the button on the wall, which opened a thick sliding door. They had to enter the airlock before leaving the underground base so to not disturb the pristine environment.
They walked into the airlock with all of their gear, set it down and the door hissed shut behind them. They pulled oxygen masks from their bags as the air was sucked out of the small room. After a few seconds, the air was the same as the cave that lain beyond the door. The door opened as they removed their oxygen masks and stored them back into their bags, and took out their headlamps. The two walked out onto the icy floor. Wearing their spiked shoes they walked forward, away from the air lock. The doors shut behind them and the lights on the outside of the air lock dimmed as they flipped the switch to turn on the blue lamp on their helmets.

They each pulled out a foldable rack out of their bags, which folded out into a sled. That’s where they placed their supplies. Bobert opened his bag and pulled out some Para cord to tie to the sled so they could pull it behind them. They started walking through the tunnel, which split into three different paths. Earlier they were told by the expedition leader to go through the middle path because that area had never been explored. There they had to take ice samples every 100 yards to search for life.
They walked for a while and felt the ground soften beneath them as they headed forward. Gogger bent over and pulled a spoon and a jar out of his bag. He scooped some ice into the jar, sealed it and put it away. He hadn’t told Bobert yet but he felt something wasn’t right. He called Bobert over to tell him his concern and at that moment the ground gave in beneath them and they fell almost 50 feet before they reached stable ground. Bobert pulled out his radio and called back to the station. They told him to put a locating beacon and they would come in a few days also to keep looking around the crevasse.
Gogger didn’t see any way they could escape from the cave so kept pacing around. Frustrated he leaned up against a wall and a small section of the wall gave in to reveal a passage. Bobert took the opportunity to take note of all of the strange tunneling found this deep in the ground and how the tunnels were nearly symmetrical. After putting the location beacon, they went through the tunnel. Soon after they found the next area split into five different paths. Again they took the middle path and walked for a while. They noticed the tunnel was getting wider and wider. It finally opened up to an enormous room with ice crystals the size of busses lining the room in an intricate path. On the roof they saw dimly lit bioluminescence in the ice on the roof.

They walked into the cave and jumped back in shock immediately when they saw a pale, four foot tall, six legged creature with an under bite which displayed a row of needle thin teeth. It was walking towards a lake in the corner of the cave.
The creature walked so that its six legs were touching the water about a couple of inches deep and its head was moving around. It seemed to have spotted something and it lunged forward and wrestled with a giant 3-foot wide fish like creature with spines on its back. The fish tried to escape but the creature sunk its needle thin teeth into the side of the fish. Bobert observed that the fish like creature had a patch of scales that changed color and spread. A few seconds later the “fish” had stopped wriggling completely and the creature dragged it out of the water.
Bobert pulled a large knife from its sheath and started to crawl towards the creature, as it was devouring the “fish”. He went behind it and the creature suddenly stopped eating as it turned to attack Bobert before he could do anything to the creature. The creature and Bobert were fighting as it tried to infect him with its poisonous fangs. He took his knife and jabbed it into the creature’s neck. It jumped back, pulled the knife out with its hands, threw it on the ground and ran on all sixes. Bobert thought that the creature was able to flee the scene quickly as it ran quickly. The two followed the path of the creature cautiously, not knowing what to expect.
They saw a few more small bodies of water, and at the first one Bobert peered into it and saw it was full of life with bioluminescence and a few plants at the bottom. There were many different fish like creatures swimming around.
They saw a few smaller creatures out of the water smaller than the one they ran into earlier that have smaller teeth and ate the small moss and slightly larger plants that scattered the icy floor the further they went into the cave. In comparison the other 6-legged creature they ran into which was carnivorous. The creatures they saw around the cave looked mostly pale and different from animals outside of the cave. One of the creatures had nine claws per foot to crawl onto the side of the ice and eat larger producers on the walls of the cave and small creatures that burrowed on the walls as well.
As the two explorers walked deeper into the cave they saw metal lantern like objects installed in the wall. They gave off a bright purple light without heat. Gogger used his foldable pocketknife to pry open one the lanterns to inspect its contents.
Inside of the lantern he saw many small, round, barbed creatures that gave off the purple light and they were not moving much to give off the steady glow in the lamps. Gogger decided to close the lamp, and realized that he was being watched. He turned around to see a 6-foot tall creature with a spear in its hand ready to be thrown at him.
Bobert and Gogger grabbed the rope on their sleds with their supplies and bolted for safety from the creature. Luckily for them the creature had lost most of his claws in a fight making him unable to grip to the floor. Because of the inability of the creature to make sharp turns Bobert had an idea. He told Gogger to head in opposite directions and take as many sharp turns as possible. The creature suddenly became confused by the two going in opposite directions, ending up pursuing Gogger. Fortunately, Gogger was the faster one so he picked up the pace and swerved often to lose the creature. He was far enough ahead after a while that he hid his sled enabling him to pick up speed.
He called for Bobert on his mini radio, asking him for help. Bobert rushed for Gogger and then pulled out his fixed blade from the sheath and prepared to attack the creature. He decided the element of surprise would be the best, so he told Gogger to lure the creature near him so he could leap out from his hiding place near an ice column and stop the creature.

The plan went well except the creature was harder to take down than expected because it was stronger and taller than Bobert. It took Bobert almost ten minutes to kill the creature. This creature had three teeth, two on top and one on the bottom, three arms and two legs. Each arm had no claws to be able to defend itself if another creature attacked; all it had was a spear. Gogger decided they might need the spear in the future so he took it.

It occurred to Gogger that the creatures could have molded metal into lamps and spears and harness the power of fire in an underground cave. They decided to investigate the cave to see if they could find an answer to their assumption. They walked forward and saw a metal door with strange markings on it. They pushed open the heavy metal door and saw a room lined with stone and a pit dug in the ice in the center.
Gogger thought, ”This must be where they melt the metal. The ice can’t melt here because the walls are covered in stones”.

They saw a strange thick liquid in the center of the pit and wondered how they started and maintained the fire without any fuel to keep it lit. On the side of the room was a small closet with some more thick liquid in containers carved in rock and what seemed to be a lighter. Bobert poured some of the liquid into the pit and lit it. The flames shot up as soon as he lit it almost burning Bobert.

They left the room and explored the cave more. Every once in a while, Gogger would collect ice samples, to be later examined at the station, above ground. They then walked deeper into the cave and saw some of the mosses and larger plants being harvested in a circle around a small mound giving off heat and ash. Above the mound were stones that prevented the ice from melting.

The two decided to leave before the cave’s strange creatures could attack them. Gogger took pictures of the animals and also wrote his observations of the strange habits they had. Finally he put his camera in his jacket pocket.
Near the entrance of the cave they saw some animals blocking the entrance and they started to slow down before stopping a couple of yards away from the blockade. Bobert pulled out his knife and Gogger pulled the spear that he put on his sled earlier, and got into a fighting stance. They were able to scare the creatures away but they didn’t know what was coming next. The creatures fled to the back of the cave quickly some slipping on the ice.

After the creatures left, a ground-moving rumble shook the large room next to the entrance, making ice crystals about three-feet long fall from the ceiling. Unfortunately, one of the crystals fell and punctured Bobert on his foot, breaking some bones and tearing through some of his foot muscles, pinning him down. Gogger got out the dull gray tube with the duffle bag strapped on. He attached a handle onto the cylinder and put the first of the thermite bombs from the duffel bag inside the cylinder. (They were made to dig new passages in ice caves because of the high heat thermite gives off). Then through the corner from where the creatures had left earlier came out a 30-foot pale white creature with seven two-foot long claws on each hand. The creature had a row of crooked sharp teeth. The creature headed toward Gogger and Bobert slowly.
Gogger raised the thermite launcher, aimed for the creature, and fired. The shot skimmed the creature’s arm, burning some of its skin. The intense pain surprised the creature. Angrily it started to charge the two as Gogger tried to reload. The creature had already grabbed Gogger by the time he had finished loading. The launcher slipped from his hands falling right next to Bobert’s foot, as the creature swallowed Gogger. Bobert picked up the launcher and aimed right at the creature’s chest which was 6 feet away from him. He pulled the trigger and the thermite canister hit the creature with immense force. The heat that was given off by the bomb burned the large creature and melted the ice crystal in his foot.
He started to stumble away from the creature with his sled and the launcher in case if it got up and attacked him again. He put himself on his sled and used his healthy foot to move quickly. He finally made it to the crevasse they had fallen through and he pushed his sled away. With all of his force he grabbed the ice pick, stood up and smashed the top of the tunnel, making it collapse
Bobert waited three days before the rescue team arrived and by that time his foot had turned black because of the exposed bones and muscles that the ice crystal tore through. They amputated the foot back at the base and they had to give him a prosthetic foot. They put a sign blocking the middle cave’s entrance to remember Gogger for giving his life to research and to prevent anyone from entering. Bobert was the only survivor who knew what was under in the cave.