Disclosure | Teen Ink

Disclosure

By Admir555, bridgeport, Connecticut
Admir555, Bridgeport, Connecticut

"The sun persist in rising, so I make myself stand."

Author's note: In the series, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Zuko is told what happened to his mother. My story is inspired by what happened to her (Not revealing so that there is no spoiler).

Ariella Parsi knew very well what she was when she awoke to a silent house. Late. She was late for school. She rushed to get ready, throwing on a tee-shirt and sliding into a pair of fit-it jeans. She grabbed her bag and rushed out of the house, saying goodbye to no one; her parents are always at work early, coming home late after she gets to bed and her brother in boarding school, never visiting because there was no one to visit. She doesn’t live too far from her high school, so it only took her ten minutes to get there. As she arrived, she stood in front of the secretary-monitor, which took her attendance and marked her an hour late.
She knew she was alright from this point on, the “teacher” wouldn’t even notice her getting to class late. However, she felt strange. Everything seemed a bit… different, to Ariella. Everything around was the same, but she felt like she forgot something. She checked her bag. Everything seemed to be in order. She shrugged it off and continued to class.
She got to her homeroom, which was full of silence as everyone concentrated on their assignments. The machine, titled “teacher,” at the front of the room was off, which meant that it already announced the agenda for the day. She saw her best friend, Lizzie, sitting at their usual table, looking lost in thought. Her straight lime green hair tied up in a short ponytail, indicating that she was thinking of one of her optimistic poems, which was problem being copied down on the notepad placed in front of her. Ariella sat down next to her best friend, waiting for her attention. When Lizzie finally finished, and she looked up at her friend.
“Yo,” Ariella said nonchalantly.
“Hey,” Lizzie responded happily, “What’s going on?”
“Not much. Although, I do feel a bit strange, as if something is wrong…”
“Did something happen at home?” Lizzie asked, keeping a gentle smile on her face.
“No, nothing different happened recently, but I just feel like something is wrong. I can’t quite figure out what it could be,” Ariella explained.
“Well, there’s no point in putting too much thought into it. If nothing is different, then everything’s fine. Just keep smiling and you’ll feel better,” Ursey said.
Maybe that was it, Ariella thought. Everyone is always happy. At this point in time, there’s nothing wrong in the world. Everything is completely perfect, and no one has anything to worry about. Was that what was wrong? It can’t be. Ariella has already pondered the idea of this perfect world being a façade many times before, and can find no reason to believe this to be true.
The day went on and then it was over. Ariella was in her room, practicing her lines for the upcoming school play, Hamlet. She has the role of Gertrude, mother of the main character. Although the play was a long time from now, Ariella wanted to have her role on point so that she can impress her parents.
“They never cared for my achievements,” she thought sadly.
As she went over her positions on stage, she heard the front door to her house open and close. How strange. She quietly exited her room and walked towards the stairway, and she heard the conversation.
“Are you sure?” her mother asked.
“We need to tell her. I can’t keep avoiding coming home. She needs to know the truth about who she is,” her father exclaimed.
Who she is? Ariella felt strange again. What does she need to know? She felt her stomach twist. She felt like her parents didn’t even want her. Why would they avoid coming home? Did they not love her? She began to tear up until she heard her parents walking towards the stairway. She ran to her room and got into bed, pretending to rest. Her parents opened the door, turned the light on, and gently nudged her.
“Ariella, honey, wake up,” Her mother said.
Ariella turned over and looked at her mother. Her expression was sad and the vibe was serious. That was new. Her father stood firmly behind her, avoiding eye contact. They both looked youthful, but flushed. What are they going to say?
“We have to talk; your father and I have something very important to tell you.”
“Well, what is it?” Ariella asked curiously.
Her mother took a pause, “We’re not your real parents,” she stated regrettably.
Her father finally took a look at her, his face was flushed and his eyes were red from trying to hold back tears.
“What do you mean?” She asked nervously, afraid to hear the answer. “I don’t remember living with anyone else.”
“That’s the thing. You don’t remember anything from before,” Her father stated as he sat down at the foot of her bed. “The government altered both your memories and appearance, making you a different person. They came over one day and handed you over to us, making us responsible for a child that we didn’t know, but who knew us. Leo couldn’t understand, so we sent him to a boarding school to keep him from confessing the truth, and we couldn’t bear lying to someone about their identity, so we pretended to be at work all day.” He stared at her, waiting for some form of response. Her mother was the one avoiding eye contact now.
She stared at the two people, whom she tried to make proud all her life. The two people whom she tried to make proud all her life. The two who avoided being home because they couldn’t tell her who she really is. Maybe that was what was strange; this is what was wrong all day. She didn’t feel strange anymore, she felt hurt. She wanted to cry, but no one cries in this time. But her “parents” seemed close to tears, this is totally different from the society she lived in.
“Who am I then?” she asked.
“We weren’t told,” her mother said.
Ariella said no more; they didn’t have the answers to her questions. She got up. The two other people in the room stared at her as she began to pack her things into her mobile bag. Once she was done, she put the bag in her pocket and grabbed her favorite sweater, hoping that it would comfort her through the cold outside, and walked towards the door. She needed to get away from here; she couldn’t be in the same room as the people who she thought loved her. She needed to find out who she really was, and she needed the answers as soon as possible.

She rushed out of the house and walked down the street without looking back. She walked to her favorite place: the theatre. After performing many plays here, and being good friends with the owner, she was allowed a key inside to practice whenever she wanted to. She rushed to the middle of the stage and collapsed on the floor. She finally cried. She finally let go of everything she’s been holding in ever since her parents confessed. She let out trying to impress the liars for years; she let out being alone all her life. She cried for a while until she was emotionally drained.
She got up shakily, still greatly distressed from the recent news. She looked towards the seats in front of the stage and got into position. She was Gertrude, a woman that longs to be delighted. She recited her lines:
“Good Hamlet, cast thy nighted color off,
And let thine eye look like a friend on Denmark.
Do not for ever with thy vailèd lids
Seek for thy noble father in the dust:
Thou know'st 'tis common; all that lives must die,
Passing through nature to eternity.”

Ariella paused. She had to forget about the pain that she felt when her parents revealed the truth, just as Hamlet had to forget the pain he felt towards his father’s death. She had to move on. Most importantly, she had to figure out who she was before, and why the government changed her identity.

She left the studio and walked towards Lizzie’s house, knowing that she was always welcomed there. She knocked on the front door, and her friend’s mother opened the door.

“Hello Ariella!” Lizzie’s mother greeted eagerly, not minding the time of the visit.

“Hey mama,” Ariella said.
She called her “mama” because she and Ariella have been friends for years, their mothers being friends years before that. Lizzie’s mother was beautiful; her jet-blonde hair reaching her hips, piercing blue eyes that one can be mesmerized by. She always wore a smile, and she was always generously kind, which made her easy to be around.
She gestured Ariella inside, and went on with her business in the living room, watching some optimistic show on the projector.
Ariella went up to Lizzie’s room, where she was lost in thought again, notepad copying each word. It was late, but she didn’t need to rest. There was no need to rest in this world. You just had to take the youth shots that were delivered in a black suitcase monthly, and you were good. Eating and sleeping was unnecessary, and you would remain youthful.
Ariella sat next to Lizzie and waited for her to finish her thought. Lizzie turned and looked at her and smiled, until she noticed her best friend tearing up.
“What’s wrong?” she asked with concern.
“I’m not who I think I am!” Ariella blurted out painfully.
“What do you mean? You’re Ariella, you are you,” Lizzie pushed.
“My parents lied to me… they said I was ‘switched,’ my memories and my appearance and the people who I’m surrounded by and everything!” Ariella began to cry. Lizzie hugged and cradled her best friend in her arms.
Ariella finally composed herself and sat up, Lizzie waiting for something to be said.
“They told me that I was not Ariella; the government changed my appearance, along with my memories... I was dropped off at their house and they were forced to care for me… that was why they’re never around; they didn’t really love me…”
For a moment, Lizzie looked confused. She thought for a moment, and then turned to her friend, gentle smile placed on her face once again. Ariella looked at her friend curiously. What is she thinking?
“Why don’t we just ask ‘em?” Lizzie suggested optimistically.
Ariella didn’t really think of that. Would they tell her? Would they reveal who she really if and why they changed her? She wondered… maybe she will just ask. Just walk into the government building and ask them about herself. It doesn’t hurt to try…

It was a new morning. Ariella and Lizzie took the day off from school to travel an hour to the government’s land. Ariella thought about what could happen there.
They’ll tell me who I really am, and I’ll know who my real parents are. I wonder if they’re nice; did they want to give me up? What if they did that and didn’t want me back in their lives? What if they’re happy to start over with their daughter? I can start over; I can reach my goal of being a famous actress! I’m sure everything will be okay.
Ariella smiled at herself, excited at her thoughts. She saw the building in the distance, her old parents seemed like some bad thing that happened a long time ago, and she didn’t feel hurt at the thought of them. Why would she? It’s not like they were ever around for her to love anyways. She was always alone, and she didn’t care anymore.
They finally reached the building and got off of the hover train. Ariella looked up at the place, tall enough to see to see from hours away. There are many government buildings like this in the country, some even bigger. This was the closest one that they could reach, and Ariella was glad to be there. She can find the truth now.
She and Lizzie walked up the stairs and into the lobby. Businesspeople were scattered everywhere; some of them running late to some meeting, some casually talking about their next projects to perfect the world even more, and there were guards at each entrance/exit. Everything felt rushed. Ariella looked at herself, realizing she wasn’t really dressed for such a place; she had on her kitty tank top with a tan cardigan over it, along with dark skinny jeans with knee high brown boots. Definitely not professional enough. They walked up to the front desk and signed their names in.
“So, how ya feelin?” Lizzie asked, both excited and nervous at the same time. Excited to learn more about her best friend, but she was afraid that she would find something out about this person. Something that she wouldn’t like. Why did they do this to her in the first place? There had to be some logical reason.
“I’m a bit nervous… but, I’m looking forward to learning about the old me… but, scared. What if I don’t like the old me? What if what I learn is not what I expected? But what if it’s all great and I love who I was before? I feel so conflicted” Ariella admitted with a slight smile.
Lizzie gave Ariella a slight hug and they waited for their appointment results… They were good to go now! They smiled at their luck, got their ticket, and walked over to the entrance.
The security guard took their ticket and began to examine it. He finished and allowed the girls to pass. They walked for what seemed like forever in the empty white hallway, but it was only five minutes of walking. They finally made it to the room titled “question room.” Very specific, Ariella thought as she reached for the doorknob. She slowly turned the knob and opened the door.
“Welcome, Ariella. How can we assist you today?” the leader said.

The room smelled like a fresh meadow. The room was painted a light blue, almost empty except for the five men sitting at the long table in the far end. Although the color of the walls was supposed to be a calming one, Ariella felt uncomfortable once she entered the room. How did the leader know her name?
As if hearing her thought, the leader got up and went over to her, shaking her hand.
“I’ve known of you for quite some time, Ms. Parsi,” the leader said with a smile.
He turned to his co-governors and waved to them. They nodded and went about their business. He gently placed his hand on Ariella’s back and guided her through a door in the back of the room, leaving Lizzie back to wait.
“So, I bet you’re wandering who you really are, huh?” he asked, obviously knowing that he was correct.
Ariella stared at the leader. “Well, will you tell me, sir?” she asked eagerly.
“I can’t. You must have at least thought that maybe there was a reason we did this?” He stopped and stared at her, smile still plastered on his face.
“I did, and I thought maybe I did something wrong… or I was involved in something that was a secret,” Ariella admitted.
“No no no. Tell me, Ariella, how would you describe the world that we live in?”
“..Everyone around me is happy, so I guess it’s pretty nice-“
“It’s perfect Ms. Parsi. No one is sad, they have nothing to worry about and their good at anything that encourages their goals. Everyone is happy-” He insisted.
“But I’m not happy, sir.” She shot back. “Would you at least tell me what my old name is?” she begged.
“…If I tell you, you must not investigate yourself. Keep yourself from such distress. We’ll know, and you’ll regret making that choice,” the leader said sternly.
Ariella now felt so much discomfort; it was as if the air was choking her. She needed to catch her breath. The leader’s expression became determined, waiting for her decision.
“I wanna know,” she said.
He sighed. After some hesitation, he finally stated, “Your name was Luna Ovalle.”

Ariella woke up. She was back in Lizzie’s room. She wondered: was this all some dream? It can’t be. It all felt so real. She went down the stairs and was greeted by Lizzie’s mother.
“Good morning, Ariella! Lizzie said to let you sleep in and went to school, do what you please!” she said before returning to her projector.
Ariella wondered why she was left to sleep. Then she remembered.
She couldn’t tell Lizzie much, for she had nothing to tell. She contemplated looking up Luna Ovalle, sneaking a quick glance at who she was. Lizzie protested this idea, saying that they would know anyways. Ariella knew she was right, but the idea remained on her mind.
Ariella packed her things and left. She walked over to the theatre, knowing that there was a virtual library to anything and everything one wanted to read. She knew that no one would be there, so no one would be able to oversee her reason for being there. She walked inside and sat in front of the machine, nervous at what she was about to do.
She needed to do this; figuring out who she was before was worth whatever the leader had in mind. She put on the search goggles and thought of what she wanted: Luna Ovalle.
Results of news articles showed up, along with opinions on the event. Ariella immediately printed everything, knowing that if the government saw what she had done, they would send for her immediately. She ran out of the theatre and promised to never come back.
She stayed at a motel two cities away from her home. She drew the curtains and turned off all of the lights, keeping only one lamp to view the truth.
Murderers finally gone. Child’s fate
undecided
Brian and Lindsay Ovalle, murderers of more than 15 people, have finally met their death. The decapitated bodies identified in their homes Sunday night. Their 12 year old daughter, Luna, was the only one home at the estimated time of the crime. Close family friends believe the young girl went mad, due to the abuse endured by her parents for most of her life. The next step for the child is unknown.

Ariella was shocked, she read the comments:

The grl needs help.

Poor thing, she deserved a better life 

Any1 kno wat happened to her?

I hrd she was sent to an asylum

Nw! She probably just got therapy. She’s only 12.

They need to put an animal like that down
And there was more. She couldn’t take it anymore. How could she not remember such events? She cried. It seemed like no one loved her at this point.

It had been years since Ariella found out the truth. She made contact with no one. After some thought, she wrote a letter:
Dear mom and dad,

I don’t really know what to call you guys; it’s all I can come to think of. I know this must be surprising; you guys haven’t heard from me in years. You probably don’t care, but I need to contact someone from home. I figured out who I was, and I learned to accept my past. I hope you guys are well, and I hope Leo is doing alright. I’m constantly on the move, and I discovered a lot. Turns out the world isn’t as perfect as we’re mad to believe. You guys should travel more, too. Tell Lizzie that I miss her, and that I’m doing great.
Sincerely,
Ariella
P.S. I understand why you couldn’t be around me, and I forgive you.

She sealed the envelope and slipped it in the mail deliverer. She went back to her motel and stayed for a few days, awaiting the response. What if they don’t write back? She thought that maybe they would apologize; tell her that they really did love her. That would be a lie. She checked the deliverer and found that someone wrote back. She was nervous about what it might say and refused to read it for a few days, going on with her travels.

Ariella was two states away when she finally decided to read the letter. She was at a bar, sitting comfortably in front of a warm fireplace and reminiscing. She unfolded the paper and stared at the words for some time. After a while, she smiled to herself.

She tossed the envelope into the flames.