Little House in the Woods | Teen Ink

Little House in the Woods

By Brelaw67 PLATINUM, Evansville, Wisconsin
Brelaw67 PLATINUM, Evansville, Wisconsin

My own experience is that once a story has been written, one has to cross out the beginning and the end. It is there that we authors do most of our lying.
- Anton Chekhov

Author's note: I'm not really sure where this idea came from, but I wondered what would happen if I decided to mix two types of novels. Second person and First person points of views. This is kind of where I left off with it.

As soon as I stepped in I knew that I should’ve immediately turned around. I just couldn’t bring myself to leave. What if I had though? Would the outcomes have changed? It felt like there was something I should see before I left, but I didn’t know what that was. If I had turned and left right then I wouldn’t have found out about the murder and the victim wouldn’t have lived, but if I had left it would’ve made my life a whole lot easier. I just didn’t know it yet. I’ll tell you my story and you can tell me if I should’ve left or not.
I had promised my friend, Adam that I would meet him at the old house in the woods, but it seemed that he was late. I was so bored! I had looked at my watch to see what time it was. Who knows, maybe I was early? I wasn’t though. We had decided to meet at six and it was already seven. It was cold and getting dark and I was bored to tears.
I had been staring at the house for a while now and thought I heard a sound. The sound was so revolting that I decided to go into the house to check it out. I was terrified to find out what made that terrible sound, but I just had to. When I climbed up the tiny stairs I could feel my heart beating into my throat. I didn’t know why I was so afraid, but I just had a strong feeling that something bad was going to happen.
I opened the old, chipped door and looked inside. It was then that I heard the noise again and almost fell off the stairs from being so startled. I forced myself to go through the door. As I walked through the little house I saw the scorched furniture. The furniture made the house look lively and evil. I started walking farther into the house.
That’s when I heard the blood chilling scream. It was a woman’s voice and it was full of terror and pain. Should I go any farther? Ignoring common sense, I walked into the house farther and climbed up the stairs. Then I ran into a fork shaped hall, all leading to different rooms. I walked in front of one of the rooms and looked inside. There were two people in the room. One was a tall, slim male and the other was a small, old, fragile looking woman. The woman was lying on the floor pleading to be let go while the man was standing over her with a gun.
“Tell me what I want to know!” The man shouted at the woman.
“I don’t know what you are talking about!” She yelled. He glared at her and raised his gun. My eyes went wide; he was going to kill her! I didn’t know what I was doing, but I felt the need to stop the guy. Then the guy started saying something, and his words stopped me dead in my tracks.
“Where have you hidden the girl?” He asked her. What girl? Was this all it was about? Could someone really be that mad over a girl? He moved his finger and started to pull the trigger. It was then that I snapped out of my trance and ran forward.
“Don’t shoot her!” I yelled. The woman looked over at me with wide eyes and pointed out the door, but it was already too late. The man looked over and got wide eyed too.
“Where have you been?” He asked. I looked at him bewildered. What was he talking about? What did he mean; here I was trying to stop a murder and he just asked me where I had been? Why did he even care? He took a step forward and I backed away.
“Don’t you remember me?” He asked. I shook my head.
“This witch must have messed with your head.” He said aloud. As I stared at him, he got even angrier at the woman and was about to pull the trigger again.
“Don’t hurt her!” I shrieked at him again. He looked over at me and then looked back at her. I then tackled the man to the ground and the woman leapt up and ran out the door.
“What are you doing, Denise?” he asked me.
“I’m not Denise, I’m Danielle.” I said. He stared at me, and finding it creepy I ran off. Hopefully he wouldn’t come for me.
Later that night I called the police, but they said they had never found the man. What would happen to me? Would the man come after me? I didn’t know.
Now it is time for you to decide. Did I do the right thing? Should I tell Adam or my parents? Should I look for that old woman? Like I said it’s up to you to decide, and hopefully it’s something good. When you figure it out, tell me.

Hello again. I know that you’ve come up with ideas. You had to have. My life back then was pretty exciting and sometimes I look back and I can’t believe how much happened to me in that period of my life.
Anyway, after I went back home I had taken some of your advice and told Adam about what happened. I didn’t want to tell my parents quite yet because I didn’t want to worry them. What if they got hurt? Or worse, what if I was adopted and that man was my father? I shuddered at the thought. How did I know him? Maybe he was just messing with me, but he looked dead serious when he had said it. It was then I decided I had to find the old woman. She was the key to unlocking that secret without running into the thick stone wall.
The man in the little, old house was the stone wall. If I went straight for the man chances are that I wouldn’t get the answers I wanted and if I did it’d be too much at once. Either that or he would try to grab me again. I had no intention of going with him.
The door opened and interrupted my thoughts. It was my mom and she looked panicked.
“What’s up?” I asked.
“Nothing.” She replied. I sat up. Something was up and I knew it.
“Mom, I know you better than that, what’s going on?” I questioned. She looked down and then back up at me.
“What happened yesterday, why were the police here?” she asked me. I sighed. If I didn’t tell her right now she would flip.
“I just ran into a man who creeped me out last night at the old house in the woods.” I explained. My mom’s face got red.
“You know you’re not supposed to go into those woods!” she scolded.
“I know mom, but I had to meet up with Adam and I never got to see the old house!” I whined.
“It doesn’t matter, you could’ve been in danger!” she snapped.
“Of what?” I asked. She glared.
“Of a duck or tree?” I mocked.
“Of that man!” she yelled. I quieted down. How did she know the man? How did they make that rule before I even met that man?
“How’d you know about the man before I met him?” I asked her. She looked down.
“This is why we didn’t want you to go into the woods.” She said.
“Mom!” I yelled.
“Not until you tell me what happened and maybe not even then.” She said. I glared at her.
“I just went into the woods to meet Adam and I heard a noise, a terrifying noise.” I said shuddering at the thought of that sickening noise.
“Continue on.” she demanded.
“When I heard the noise I had almost ran away from being so frightened, but there was something holding me back, something that made me walk into the house.” I said feeling the same feeling I had before. Mom’s face went pale. I knew that she was hiding something and this only proved it.
“When I went into the little cabin I had heard the same noise again then a scream, but I still kept walking; when I found the room where the scream came from I had found a woman and a man.” I continued, “The man had been standing over the woman with a gun and I felt the need to help her out, but then he said something about a girl.”
Mom had gotten even paler which I didn’t think was possible.

“Mom, am I the girl he was talking about?” I asked her.

“Tell me the rest of the story.” She said. I sighed.

“After I had snapped out of the trance those words had put me in, I had stopped the man from shooting the woman; he said I knew him.” I said and looked up, “How does he know me, but I have no memory of him?”

“I…. it’s complicated.” She said.

“It’s complicated or you won’t tell me,” I snipped, “if you won’t tell me I will look for the old woman and force her to tell me!”

“I feared that you would’ve found out about this which is why we made that rule.” She replied.

“Continue on.” I said.

“He was your uncle, but he was having you do something that he shouldn’t have.” She said. My jaw dropped. Could it be possible that man was my uncle? I didn’t like the thought either. It didn’t even make sense. She had to be lying otherwise it’d mean I had forgotten about a whole part of my life. Was it possible? I looked over at the window.

“You’re lying!” I accused.

“I’m not.” She said.

“What did you do to me to make me forget about my life!?” I yelled.

“I….. Uh, there’s more to the story if you want to hear it.” She said.

“What then?” I asked.

“That old woman you saw last night, we paid her.” She answered.

“Why, are you even my real parents?” I asked. She looked a little disappointed.

“That’s all I’m going to share.” She said.

“You have to tell me!” I insisted.

“I can’t tell you anymore.” She said.

“Mom!” I snapped. She stood up.

“Goodnight.” She replied. What was up with mom? Was she even really my mom? How was I supposed to know when they had messed with my head? I couldn’t remember anything besides what they told me and I don’t think she was telling me the truth. It didn’t make sense for that man to be my uncle. If he was then why was he trying to take me away from these people? What did they do to me? I now made up my mind most definitely.
I was going to find that old woman. I couldn’t trust whoever these people were and if I found her then I bet I could get some answers.
I stood up and looked out my bedroom door. “Mom” was standing out in the hall talking to “Dad” and he they were panicking. I watched as Mom told him what I told her and as his eyes got wider. He then turned his head towards my room and then jumped up and grabbed his phone. He started talking franticly and then he had apparently seen that the door was open a little ways. I then knew that he had noticed me crouched down listening and so I had scrambled backward. He was going to come back towards me and I didn’t know what he was going to do.
I finally got ahold of myself and stood up then looked out the window. It was a big jump, but if I had to I would jump. I opened the window a little getting ready for something bad to happen.
The door flew open and I took a step backward. It was terrifying to know that I had no memory of what had happened to me and right now I think that I was about to get some of the memory back. “Dad” was in front of the door.

“What are you doing?” he asked. I looked back.

“I was just opening my window, it’s a little hot in here.” I said. I knew I shouldn’t turn my back on these people so quick, but it was weird. Why would someone do that to me? What if they really were my parents? I had laughed and played with these people. Most of all I loved them, but hearing something like that was hard not to question everything you had believed. I was being kind of mean and I knew it, but before I did anything with them willingly and before I trusted them again I was going to have to figure out what was going on.

“Cut the act, Danielle; I know what you were doing!” he snapped.

“What are you guys afraid of, why can’t I remember anything?” I questioned. He calmed down a little bit.
“Danielle, just listen to me; I’m your father and you’re my daughter, but I need you to sit down and let me explain.” Dad said.
“I can’t, you can just explain.” I said. Anger flashed across his face but he hid it right away.
“Danielle don’t do anything you’ll regret.” He said.
“I’m not going to do anything unless you guys try to.” I said looking behind him at mom. I could tell he was trying to talk me down and when he did he was more than likely going to pounce.

“I know you’re scared because of what you’ve heard, but nothing is different and if you calm down we can go eat.” He said softly. I looked back. The window looked less and less likely to get through before he got to me. I then realized I could get answers right here, right now.

“What did you guys do to me?” I asked.

“We helped you, so you didn’t have to live with what happened.” He replied. It seemed like something they would do, but it still didn’t make sense to me. They acted really panicked and weird out in the hall and now they were trying to convince me that I didn’t hear or see anything.

“You’re trying to mess with my head again!” I yelled.

“No, I’m just trying to calm you down.” He said quickly. I leaned against the window.

“Tell me the truth about what happened.” I demanded.

“We already did.” He said.

“Then tell me more.” I said. He looked back at mom and she nodded. I had sensed some movement behind me, so I looked back and as soon as I did I was thrown to the floor.
When I looked up I saw a man. Not my dad but someone I didn’t know. He must’ve come from the window. I knew I couldn’t trust these people and apparently they couldn’t trust me either. I looked around and found dad, mom and the man all in a circle with me in the middle.

“So she has figured it out.” The man said.

“Not quite.” Dad said. I was so confused. This man knew about what was going on? I wonder how many people knew about this secret. It could be everyone I know or just these people here. I just couldn’t believe that I didn’t remember anything besides what they told me. It must’ve been years since whatever happened but I believed them. I hadn’t even questioned it. I knew that life gets a little weird as you go on, but I don’t think this is what was supposed to happen.

“So I take it that she went into the woods.” The man replied. Dad nodded. I started to scoot back, but the man saw me and pulled me forward.

“What are you guys doing?” I asked them. Dad and mom looked at me.

“You know what you’re supposed to do.” Dad said. The man nodded and then came at me.

“No, I’m not going to let you mess with my head again!” I yelled. I scooted back again and the man came at me running and I was hit from behind. Getting weaker and weaker I watched as the man came closer and picked me up. A wave of exhaustion passed over me and I was dead to the world.

I know, I can’t believe what happened either! What happened next was just as weird as what just happened, but for right now I have to go. I need you to tell me what you think happens next or what I could do to get out of this mess. It’ll be tricky to escape, but with help from you I’m sure we’ll make it! Just don’t forget to tell me what to do! Good bye for now.

I’m back! You just can’t get rid of me and apparently I can’t get rid of that man! I did go back and try your ideas but some of them didn’t work. I know you’ll probably want me to get to the rest of the story, if you’re still tuned in that is. I’ll continue the story anyway and hopefully you’re still listening to find out what happens. Here it goes.

When I woke up my eyes were a little foggy. I had looked around and saw that I was lying on a table. It was like a bed that they have at hospitals but it was a table. It’s hard to explain, the point is that I was on a table.
I tried to get up off of that table, but my body wouldn’t cooperate. It was like I was paralyzed. Nothing would work besides my head. Not even my fingers. I looked around and when my eyes were clear I could tell that the man was about three feet away and had his back turned to me.
I guess I should explain what he looked like to you, so you’ll understand who he is when I say it again or at least so you can picture him and how I was scared because of it. The man was a very strong looking male with scars on the left side of his face. The scars started just above his left eye and went to his cheek bone. It made him look intimidating.
His eyes were the weirdest color, they almost looked like cat eyes and it was pretty creepy. His eyes were a light greenish yellow and he had no hair or at least a lot of it. His hair style was like a military cut and it made him look even more intimidating. The man was also as tall as he was strong looking.
I did not want to mess with this guy and almost considered giving up, but had to snap out of it. What was the harm of letting them wipe my memory again? I mean, life would go back to the way it was and I wouldn’t have to worry about that man from the little house in the woods. What was the problem to letting this man do it? Then I thought. All of it would cause harm! Adam would probably be in trouble because I told him and he would have to deal with it alone. I would also never be able to find out what happened to me before this or how that man knew me and I would still live with these people who don’t want me to remember. How long would it be before they decided that it was too much to take care of me and throw me out? Or would I just live with these people who wanted to help me and so they messed with my head?
This was stupid. I was debating whether or not to let my freedom go! I couldn’t think about it like I was. If I did all chances of finding out about this big mystery would disappear right before my eyes.

“I see that you’re up.” The man said. I looked over at him. He was now standing over me with a knife.

“What are you going to do?” I asked. He smiled.

“You’re just like you were before all of this happened.” He told me. He knew me before this? I certainly didn’t remember him. Could I really know this man? Was he my friend or enemy? Now wasn’t the time to ask.

“Well, what are you going to do?” I asked him again.

“I’m going to make you, you again.” He said. How he stated it confused me.

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“I’m going to make you who you are, the person before all of this happened, you were so much more than who you are now.” He said.

“I don’t want to become that person, I don’t want to become anyone else but who I am now!” I snapped.

“I know and soon all of those thoughts will be gone, you will be the person I knew whether you like it or not.” He said.

“Can’t you just pretend?” I asked. He shook his head. He took out a vial and opened it.

“Danielle, prepare to become yourself again.” He said. I tried to wiggle around, but couldn’t. My body wouldn’t cooperate like I said before. I then felt my finger move. I looked to the side and found that I could move my legs too.
Whatever was keeping me from moving was wearing off. The man now had the vial tilted and was about to pour it into my mouth when I moved my arm. He then panicked and forced my mouth open. I was shaking my head and then got complete control of my arm and I punched out. The consequences came right after that, because I had punched out when he was about to pour it into my mouth a felt a couple drops of whatever it was drop into my mouth. I didn’t quit fighting him though. If I had he would’ve been able to keep pouring it into my mouth.
It was disgusting. It tasted like curdled milk and rotted cheese. The smell was much worse. I didn’t know how to describe it because it was so gross. I kicked the man and he fell backwards.
My body was acting weird but I still managed to get up and to get away. I had looked back at the man and saw that he was smiling. Creepy!
When I walked out of the room I almost fell over. There had been a flash. A very bright flash and after that flash I had almost forgot what I was doing.
I looked back and found that the man was standing at the door watching me. Not following me, just watching. Another flash passed over me and I heard voices and saw faces. I dropped to the ground onto my knees. All of these things were messing with my head and it was giving me a head ach. The flashes were getting faster and more vivid.
I had to get away from these people and to get to a high ground or just somewhere I could hide.
I heard a car door slam and I looked up to see Mom. She was so happy, it was like none of this happened. Or at least that’s what they wanted me to believe. They thought that the man had given me whatever it was and that my memory was wiped. What if I just pretended to not know what happened? I was willing to bet that if I did they would leave me alone and let me explore. I had to snap out of all of these thoughts! I couldn’t just stand there and let them take me away.
I took a deep breath. If I let them take me away then I might not ever figure out what happened to me. I might not ever remember what happened to that woman and why she was there. I had to keep moving. I looked up at Dad and found him standing over me.

“Hey Danielle!” He exclaimed. I decided to play along for just a little bit. If I was smart I would be quiet and play along so I could confront the woman without being hunted down by everyone here and whoever else knew about my past life. I sighed and put on my best act.

“Dad!” I exclaimed and ran over to him. He opened his arms up and I jumped into his arms.

“What am I doing here?” I asked looking around. He stood up.

“Um, you were missing for a few days so this man and a few others went out to look for you, he found you.” He said motioning for the man to come over here. I looked over at mom and she nodded with a smile. The man was now in front of me and I could see that he was happy to see that I didn’t run off.

“This is Scott Zayne one of our old friends.” Dad explained. I wanted to stand up to him right now and slap him for just lying to me. It was so hard not to do anything or to even frown but I had to. I looked over at Scott. Scott looked so triumphant but that wouldn’t last long. As soon as I got back and earned their trust again I would be searching. I would be in control and no one would stop me. I looked up at Dad.

“What day is it?” I asked innocently. Dad looked at mom and Zayne.

“It’s Tuesday.” Zayne said. I looked at him with a glare.

“Can we go home now?” I asked. Mom nodded.

“We can go any time you want.” Mom said. I nodded.

“Let’s go, I want to see Adam.” I said. Dad nodded and put his hand on my shoulder smiling that creepy grin I’d seen before.

“I’m so glad you’re back again!” He exclaimed.

“Let’s go.” I said. He nodded opening the door for me.

Whatever these people were hiding I didn’t like it. I stared out the window as another flash went off, but stayed longer than the others had.

I looked around seeing thousands and thousands of children in a gigantic room. Everything was in third person looking around. I could see myself, but much younger than I was now. My hair was a golden brown and I was wearing a light blue jumpsuit that said D8667.

I stood up and climbed up steps to a stage. All of the kids quieted down sitting down in their spots at tables that were scattered around the room.

“Hello everyone.” I said. All of the kids waved back.

“It’s nice to see you guys.” I said. Everyone nodded wanting for me to get on with whatever I was going to say.

“I know that everyone of us has been through a bunch of crap all these years, we’ve all been through this project, the ALPHA MALE project; we’ve been treated as though we have no importance to our lives and because of all of our amazing abilities we possess, but this is all going to be put behind us; we’re going to be saved from these people; I’ve met people; good people that will help us.” I started. All of the other children looked as if they were going to cry.

“We’ve all come from the streets; streets that lead to the dead ends in our lives, but we’ve overcome these dead ends and now it’s time for our lives to change for the better, now is the time to forget about all of the torturous events we’ve gone through and carry on with our lives; we are going to take back our lives; we’re going to end this project!” I exclaimed.

Everyone cheered standing up from their seats and clapped. Suddenly the door burst in and people dressed in white jumpsuits stormed into the room grabbing all of us kids. I stared in horror as everyone was being forced out of the room. Then as I wasn’t paying attention to myself I was tackled to the ground and shackled right away. I looked up to see a man standing over me shaking his head.

I felt my heart speeding a hundred miles an hour. Good thing there wasn’t a heart police otherwise I’d be arrested.

My “mom” tapped my shoulder making me flinch. I looked up seeing her worried face.

“Are you alright?” she asked, “You’re sweating immensely.”

My brain was a little fuzzy.

“Um, yeah.” I said. She looked as if she didn’t believe me. I turned away from her looking to see where we were.

My “dad” just pulled into the driveway and glanced back at me. My “mom” put her hand on my forehead feeling how hot my head was.

“Wow; you’re really hot!” She exclaimed pulling her hand back. My “dad” replaced my “mom’s” hand with his.

“You need to rest; no going to Adam’s tonight.” He said.

“But…” I started.

“Danielle,” he said, “go up to your room.”

“Fine.” I said slamming the car door.

I’m absolutely clueless at this point. I’d found out part of what was going on. Kind of. I found out pieces of my memory from before and I tricked my “parents” that I was the same loving kid they’d had before.

Luckily for me I wasn’t. At this point it’s time for you to please help me come up with a solution to this big mess I’ve gotten myself into. Please, I’m desperate and need your help. Let me know how it turns out!