Test Results | Teen Ink

Test Results

November 3, 2013
By Brelaw67 PLATINUM, Evansville, Wisconsin
More by this author
Brelaw67 PLATINUM, Evansville, Wisconsin
48 articles 8 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
My own experience is that once a story has been written, one has to cross out the beginning and the end. It is there that we authors do most of our lying.
- Anton Chekhov


Author's note: This was yet again another idea that came to me in a dream. It was a unique idea so I figured, why not write about it? If there's one thing I can count on it's getting ideas from my dreams. :D

Lab tests, Lab results, Lab experiments. Whatever you want to call them they’re all the same thing. They all have to do with ruining people’s lives or saving their lives. I’m not sure what you’d call my results, but I know it changed me.

People can be pretty bad at ruining other people’s lives too. If you will believe it that’s what I’m going to tell you. This story, my story will prove my point.
When I was at a young age people did things to me that wasn’t approved and they shouldn’t have done, but they felt the need to do it. That’s why I’m here telling you this story so the next time you trust strangers with your life you’ll be a little more careful around them so you don’t make the same mistake I did. I’ll get started before you start to walk away and pick something else up, but trust me you’ll need this crucial information.
I was fourteen years old when so many things had gone wrong with me. Or so I thought. I was one of those people that everything went wrong during puberty but it actually didn’t. I was told that everything was wrong. I had gone in for a checkup because my mother was one of those people that worried about everything. If it wasn’t one thing it was the other. From cleaning the house to sports. There was always something that she didn’t like or just plain worried about. I remember a time when she wasn’t like that but that was before her father died from some epidemic. That was fifteen years ago and here she is today still as crazy as ever.
I was walking to practice from school when my mother pulled up in her car with her eyes as terrified as ever.
“Get in now!” She yelled at me. Since I was used to her being worked up about nothing I slowly walked to the trunk and set my stuff in.
“Right now, Jayden!” She snapped. I sighed and got into the car.
“What now?” I asked as she sped out of the street. She glanced at me.
“You’ll see when we get there, just listen to me when I tell you to keep your mouth shut and let them do what they need to.” She said.
“Who’s they?” I asked. She ignored my question.
“Mom, who’s they?” I asked. She ignored me again.
“Mom!” I snapped. She turned a corner.
“It’s the doctors again isn’t it?” I guessed. She nodded. I sighed. I was tired of her anxiety attacks and frankly it was getting annoying. I grabbed the handle.
“Jayden Eli Josephs, if you open that door you’ll be grounded for a month!” She yelled. I sighed again and let the door handle go.
“What is it now?” I asked. She turned another corner and then pulled into a parking lot. She looked over at me and then parked. I looked out the window and gaped at the tallest building I had ever seen. It was a skyscraper that literally looked like it was scraping the sky. The skyscraper was silver and gleamed in the sunlight. My mom got out of the car and waited for me to do the same. After I was done gaping at the skyscraper I finally opened my door and found my mother walking towards the building. I followed after her still wondering why we were here. This wasn’t the building that we usually went to for appointments and it was kind of scary to walk into a new building like this for an appointment. As we walked into the building I saw that in the inside it looked even bigger. There were hundreds of stairs and balconies with millions of people in the building. There were even signs pointing to each station. I couldn’t believe this was where doctors worked. It didn’t make sense to me but I walked along with my mother as she read the signs and turned each corner. When we finally got to our destination my mother stopped at a desk and waited for one of the receptionists to get to us. I don’t know how long it was before one of them finally acknowledged us but it seemed like hours. Both receptionists had been on the phone and then when one of them got off that receptionist started working on paperwork. It was then I finally lost my temper and snapped at one of them to get to us.
“Are anyone of you going to get to us or should we leave?!” I snapped. The receptionist on the phone looked up startled. She had been talking to someone in her life she was close to and was at work but wasn’t doing any work. The other doing paperwork just glanced at me and then started writing again.
“I’ve got to let you go.” The receptionist on the phone said to the person on the other line. When she hung up the phone my mother stepped forward and told her what she needed to know.
“Name?” The receptionist asked.
“Jayden Eli Josephs.” My mother replied. The receptionist nodded and pulled out a sheet.
“The doctors will be with you in a few minutes.” The receptionist replied. Doctors? My mother turned and walked off to a chair in the waiting room.
“What’s going on?” I asked her. She shook her head.
“Please tell me.” I said. She looked into my eyes and shook her head again. I took out my phone and started typing furiously. I was supposed to be at Soccer practice right now and my mom had another one of her spells that was ruining my life and she wouldn’t even tell me! I was texting my friend Josh. He was also in Soccer and was probably wondering where I was right now. I was late for practice and the coaches would be livid. Tomorrow we had our biggest game of the year and Josh and I were the best players on the team. If I wasn’t there they wouldn’t be able to let me play, unless of course I had a good excuse. This wasn’t a good excuse.
“Where are you?” The text from Josh said.
“My mother had another one of her spells and we’re at a doctor’s appointment with apparently a bunch of doctors.” I texted back.
“You’d better have a good excuse because the coaches are livid and want you here right now.” Josh texted back. I nodded but then realized Josh wouldn’t be able to see.
“I know.” I texted back.
“Jayden Eli Josephs.”
I looked up and found a tall young looking man standing in the door way. I stood up. He looked over at me.
“You must be Jayden.” He said. I nodded and he started walking. I looked back and found my mother right behind me. He led us to a room with what looked like four doctors sitting in chairs next to a machine. The machine was nothing like I had seen before. The machine looked like something right out of a comic book. It had two circular metal poles tilted at forty five degrees crossing each other. The poles had light bulbs going all the way down with a chair in the middle of the poles. It looked like the poles turned with etchings on them. There was a keyboard on the outside of the machine with a TV hooked up to it.
“This is Jayden Josephs.” The man told the other doctors. All of the doctors turned stood up and smiled. The tallest man walked over to me and shook my hand.
“I’m Dr. Atums.” He said. I nodded and sat down.
“This is Dr. Stein and Dr. Newt.” Dr. Atums said pointing to the two other men standing around me. I nodded again and Dr. Newt stepped forward and kneeled down to my height.
“I’m sorry to have to tell you this but you have a serious problem that we need to take care of.” Dr. Newt said. I shook my head.
“I don’t have any problems, I’m as healthy as can be, I’m in a sport every season, I take vitamins, and I’m not overweight!” I snapped. He shook his head and then the doctor that hadn’t been introduced yet stepped forward.
“If that were true then why would we be telling you this?” The doctor said. I looked down.
“This is Dr. Esla, the specialist.” Dr. Stein explained.
“You’ve just made a mistake.” I mumbled. Dr. Atums sighed.
“We don’t like telling anyone this, but there is no way we’ve made a mistake.” Dr. Atums said. I looked up at him.
“We can’t let you go on living your life as if there’s nothing wrong, if we let you do that there’s a chance you won’t survive.” Dr. Newt said. I held back tears from frustration. I couldn’t be so weak.
“Jayden we need you to take a few tests for us.” Dr. Stein said. I looked over at the youngest doctor of them.
“Fine but only to prove that there is nothing wrong with me.” I said. Dr. Atums smiled.
“You won’t regret this.” Dr. Atums said.
“You still need my consent.” My mother said. I turned and had finally realized that she was in the room. She had been so quiet that I hadn’t even noticed.
“What do you say?” Dr. Stein asked.
“What kind of tests?” She asked.
“Just simple tests that help us better understand what’s wrong.” Dr. Esla explained. I looked into her eyes. Her eyes were still filled with worry but it was getting better. She nodded.
“Excellent!” Dr. Stein exclaimed. I found his peppiness disturbing.
“What do you need me to do?” I asked. Dr. Stein looked over at Dr. Atums and Dr. Atums nodded. Dr. Newt stood up and walked over to a desk and came back with a plastic bag.
“We need you to take these pills for the next couple days and then come back to see us in a week.” He said handing me the bag. I looked into the bag and saw a dozen blue pills. I nodded and everyone backed up. I stood up and Dr. Atums shook my hand along with the others.
“We’ll see you on Tuesday next week.” Dr. Newt said. I nodded and my mother stood up.
“What is exactly wrong?” I asked. Dr. Atums looked over at me.
“It’s hard to explain, I’ll explain it to you when you come back in a week for the tests, just use these pills, trust me they’ll make you feel so much better.” Dr. Atums said. I nodded.
“Let’s go.” My mother said. I turned and almost walked out of the room when Dr. Newt stopped me.
“Don’t forget to take the pills, it’s vital to your health, take them every twelve hours.” Dr. Newt said. I nodded and walked out of the room.

“They gave you pills.”
I turned and looked at Josh. Josh was an inch shorter than me with wavy light brown hair and green eyes. He came over to my house right after practice and had asked what was going on. I finally just told him.
“Do you even know what’s wrong?” Josh asked. I shook my head and wiped my hair away from my face. My hair was long enough at the top to hang next to my eyes. I had my bangs pushed to the side which made it look like a spiral. My hair was a dirty blonde color and my eyes were dark blue with grey outlining it.
“I don’t trust them; I don’t think you should take those pills.” Josh said.
“I don’t know either, but they seemed really serious, maybe even worried.” I said. Josh shook his head.
“What you said just seemed too strange; it was like they were trying to convince you that you needed to take it, like your life depended on those pills.” Josh said. I nodded.
“I don’t know what to do.” I said.
“What if what they said was true?” I asked. He sighed.
“I don’t know, I guess just see how the pills make you feel.” Josh said. I sighed this time.
“You better hope that the coaches take this as a good excuse or you’ll have to sit out.” Josh said.
“I know.” I said.
“So how’s it going at practice?” I asked.
“The coaches have bumped me up to playing the first half.” Josh said. I smiled.
“That’s great!” I exclaimed. He laughed.
“What?” I asked.
“It’s just like you to push all of the bad news out of the way and praise others.” He replied.
“Well…..” I said. He laughed again.
“Josh your mother wants you home!” My mother yelled. I turned and frowned.
“I guess I’ve got to go.” Josh said standing up. I stood up with him.
“See you tomorrow.” I said.
“Yeah and don’t forget to get your math homework done; the coaches will flip if you have another late assignment.” He said. I nodded and he walked out. I looked around my room. My room was usually clean but because of rushing to school this morning it was filthy with clothes and papers scattered all over the room. The blue walls seemed darker than usual and the wooden floor seemed creakier. I walked over to my mirror. I didn’t look unhealthy. In fact I looked like I couldn’t be any healthier. I walked back over to my bed and sat down. I bent down and picked up our family picture from two years ago. It was when we still had Dad here. We all looked so happy like nothing could stop us from being happy in life. Now he was gone and that feeling left with him. I frowned. I so badly wanted his advice right now. He always knew what to say and do in these situations.
“You were so happy in that picture.”
I turned and found my mother standing in the door way.
“What do you want?” I asked. She walked over to me and sat down next to me.
“I want that little boy back.” She said pointing to the picture.
“That little boy vanished along with Dad.” I said. She looked at me with gloomy eyes.
“I wish he was still here but you know what they said…”
“I know, they did all they could but couldn’t find anything, we’ve gone over this thousands of times.” I snapped.
“Look, I know that I’ve messed up as a parent and I wish he was still here but he isn’t you’re just going to have to deal with me right now.” She said. I sighed. There was nothing to say about this.
“Your father always knew what to say but I don’t and you’re going to just have to trust me.” She said. I turned. I was not going to get into this.
“I need a note for the coaches saying that what I say is true so I can play tomorrow.” I said. She sighed.
“Fine just write it and I’ll sign it, get your homework done and take your pill then go to bed and I’ll have it done.” She said. I nodded and she walked out of the room.
After for about an hour I had all of my homework done and was about to take my pill but was debating on it. What if Josh was right and they were messing with me? What if I felt terrible? What if it helped me? I just didn’t know what to do. This was all so confusing. I stared at the bag of blue pills.
“Jayden!” My mother yelled. I was so startled that I dropped the bag of pills and they scattered to the floor. I cursed aloud and then scrambled to find all of the pills and put them back in the bag. I finally found the last pill and was about to put it back in the bag but then couldn’t help but stare at it. If what they told me was true this could save my life.
“Hey, I have the note finished; have you…”
I looked up.
“Oh, you’re done and have your pill.” She said. I looked back down at the pill.
“Well take it.” She said. I glanced back up at her and then to the pill. Here goes nothing. I put the pill in my mouth and swallowed. She smiled.
“You’ll get results, you’ll see, soon you’ll be better.” She said. She hugged me and I backed away after a minute.
“I’m tired; I think I’m going to go to bed.” I said. She nodded and walked out. I then flung myself on the bed and stared at the ceiling. I somehow already felt better. Like something had made me feel good. Really good. It was like I had been awakened. Something had.
I ran and jumped into bed and landed on it perfectly with my head on my pillow. Tomorrow was going to be a good day. I closed my eyes and hoped for a good dream.

“I can’t believe how much more he has than the rest!”
I sat up and looked around. Dr. Atums and Dr. Newt were sitting in their office looking at a file. My vision was a little blurry and in a light blue light. I was lying on a bed until I sat up a little bit ago. It was a hospital bed and I was in a gown. The bed was in the room next to their office and I got out of the bed and walked through the wall and I walked in and stood next to them. The file was blurry but I could barely make out the first letter on the top. The first letter was a j. I tried and kept trying to read the rest of it but couldn’t. Dr. Atums pulled the file away from Dr. Newt and closed it and put it away in a locked cabinet drawer.
“Do we know how he is where he is?” Dr. Atums asked.
“No we have no idea.” Dr. Newt said. Dr. Atums looked to the ground.
“It just doesn’t make sense, why would a kid his age be that far ahead and out of thousands of people.” Dr. Atums said.
“Thousands of people weren’t even close to him, not even close to him and he’s a kid!” Dr. Newt exclaimed.
“Just imagine what he’ll be able to do after we’ve done it.” Dr. Atums said.
“Just imagine what he’ll be able to do when he’s an adult.” Dr. Newt said. Both smiled.
“Those pills will do the job we’ve just got to keep him on them until we can convince her to go through with it.” Dr. Atums said. Dr. Newt stood up and turned towards me and squinted.
“What’s wrong?” Dr. Atums asked.
“I think…. I think that he’s here right now.” Dr. Newt said. My heart sped up. I don’t know why I was scared. It was a dream. Nothing could happen to me in a dream. Dr. Atums eyes widened.
“How is he here?” Dr. Newt asked.
“He must’ve made his way here subconsciously; I don’t think he knows what he’s doing.” Dr. Atums said. Dr. Atums ran over to me and grabbed me. I tried to pull away but something was keeping me here.
“He’s definitely here; I’ve got ahold of him.” Dr. Atums said.
“Quickly give it here.” Dr. Atums said. Dr. Newt ran over to the desk and then back over here. Dr. Atums grabbed whatever it was and was about to stab me with it when I closed my eyes.

My eyes snapped open and I jumped out of bed. I was breathing hard and sweating. When I finally calmed down I stood up and looked over at the alarm clock. It was seven thirty and I needed to get ready for school. The bus didn’t get here until seven forty so I had time but I should’ve been up a long time ago. It was like something had kept me in my dream. I really hoped I didn’t have that dream again.
I walked over to my dresser and grabbed my socks, shirt and jeans. As I was pulling them on I remembered the pills. I was supposed to take the pills every day for every twelve hours and I wasn’t so sure I wanted to. The pills really did make me feel so much better so maybe the doctors were telling me the truth. Maybe I was in a very fatal condition.
After I was done pulling on my shoes I grabbed my pill, my backpack and ran for the bus. My mother was already at work so there was nothing to do with her.
The bus was early today so I almost missed it but luckily Josh stopped the bus for me. When I got on the bus Josh was already walking over to me and asking what happened last night. I then showed him my pill.
“This is the pill that you’re supposed to take?” Josh asked. I nodded.
“I can’t believe this is supposed to be the pill that is going to save your life.” Josh said. I smiled.
“I really think this works, I feel so… so great like I could run around the world three times!” I exclaimed. He frowned.
“I think they were telling the truth.” I said.
“What if it doesn’t work?” Josh asked. My smile faded.
“It does work.” I said grabbing the pill back from him and shoving it in my mouth then swallowing. He sighed.
“I’m going to sit back down in my seat.” He said. It was then that I knew that Josh didn’t like me taking that pill. He didn’t like any part of this situation. I just didn’t have a way out of it. Especially if my life was on the line and my mother was alive to do something about it.
As soon as I walked into the gym I was bombarded with questions from the coaches. I knew that they were going to have some questions but I wasn’t expecting it right away. I was their best player and apparently they needed me.
“Where were you yesterday, Jayden?” The head coach asked. I pulled out my excuse and handed it to the head coach. He read it then looked up at me.
“Can I play, Coach Morrs?” I asked.
“Are you allowed to play?” he asked. The other coach grabbed the excuse and read it.
“I’m just on pills; I’ll be fine I just need to take it before the game.” I said. The coaches looked at each other.
“You can play.” Coach Morrs replied. I jumped up with excitement.
“Finally I get something going right!” I exclaimed. Coach Morrs smiled. The other coach looked over at me.
“Just remember to take the pills.” Coach Weiss said. I nodded and started to turn.
“I mean it, Jayden, if you don’t take the pills I will keep you out.” Coach Weiss said. I nodded again.
“I promise I will do better than I have been before and I will take the pill.” I said. Coach Weiss nodded.
“You may go now.” Coach Morrs said. I walked out of the gym to find my math teacher standing behind me.
“You’re late again; do you have your homework?” He asked. I nodded.
“Since you were talking with the coaches and you’re only a minute late I will give you another chance but next time detention.” He said.
“Thanks I promise it won’t happen again.” I said. He smiled.
“Now Mr. Josephs let’s get to class and study for the test.” He said. I sighed but nodded.
“I’m sorry for the inconvenience Mr. Sears.” I said.
“Let’s just go.” He said grabbing ahold of my shoulder and guiding me to the math room. When we walked into the room all of the kids were throwing paper balls at each other and the desks were covered with paper balls. Mr. Sears head just about exploded when he walked in and found his students destroying the room.
“Every single one of you will have detention tonight; now clean up this room now!” He shouted. Everyone dropped the paper balls and stared at the ground.
“You should be ashamed; you’re freshmen you shouldn’t be acting like this.” He fumed.
“Let’s get going.” He said. At the end of all the yelling Mr. Sears’s face looked like a tomato and the students looked pale.
“Do I have a detention too?” I asked Mr. Sears. He smiled at me.
“Of course not, you had no part in this; why would I give you a detention.” He asked. I shrugged. After the classroom was clean Mr. Sears handed out the test and everyone passed up their homework.
“Can we study?” One of the other students asked.
“When I was gone you were supposed to be studying so, no, you won’t be studying.” Mr. Sears said. The student looked around and found other’s faces red with anger. The test was past to me and I started. It was a good thing that I did my homework this time or I would’ve never figured out how to do this.
The test was about algebra that we had been talking about for a while now. It was a relief to find that everything on the test I knew right away. The test took almost the whole time we had in our class but we finished it and by the time the bell rang everyone was either bummed about the detention or tired. Every one of us walked out into the hall quietly and split up to go into our lockers.

By the end of the day I was pumped up and ready for the game. In my last class I had gone and taken my pill and I believe it just kicked in. I was hyper and felt like I could do anything. I certainly didn’t need to have any caffeine or candy. Some would say that I was drunk on life. I mean, who wouldn’t be? If what they said was true I was going to be better than I ever was. I took a deep breath and then walked out the door and onto the field. I was about as excited that you could ever imagine. I closed my eyes and then set my stuff down and turned to find Coach Weiss standing in front of me. He forced a smile.
“Glad to see you could make it today.” He said. I as well forced a smile.
“I’m happy to make it here myself.” I said. He nodded.
“Did you take your pill?” He asked. I nodded.
“I took it right before I got here.” I said.
“Warm up and we’ll see how you do.” He replied. I nodded again and turned but before I could turn away he grabbed my shoulder.
“If you have a hard time I want you to tell me immediately, if you don’t tell me I won’t let you play again.” He said. I nodded. He let go of me and I ran off.
I felt like my heart was going to explode with excitement but knew that I had to calm down or I wouldn’t be in the game today. I couldn’t wait to show them that I could do this. That I could be the best player on the team with these pills. No one then could tell me that I couldn’t play because I was taking pills.
I got done with my jog, but felt like I could do so much more running. This was kind of unnerving to know that I was feeling better with the pills. The doctors were right about whatever condition I was in. I may have looked and felt healthy but I wasn’t.
“Jayden stop standing around and stretch!”
I looked up startled. Coach Morrs was standing in front of me.
“Uh, sorry coach I was just thinking.” I apologized. His face turned from frustration to worry.
“Is everything alright; can you play?” He asked. It kind of made me mad to have him think that after running I was going to collapse or something. I was still the same person.
“I’m fine; I’ve got to get to my stretching.” I said. He nodded. Coach Weiss was staring at me. I hoped he didn’t think I couldn’t play. I ran off in the other direction and sat down.
It was in the last quarter and I kicked the ball into the goal. The clock had five seconds left and everyone began cheering. We had been tied until I kicked the ball into the goal and now we won. No one could get through to the other side and shoot a goal in five seconds. The game was officially over and my team was running out onto the field to congratulate me, but for some reason I felt weak, very weak.
The coaches picked me up and everyone cheered once again. I kind of wished that my mother had been here for the game, but she never came to sports games. It was always just me at the game for me. My grandparents disowned my father after he married my mother and since I was her kid they didn’t care about us. My other grandmother was in a nursing home and neither of my parents had siblings. It was only my mom and I alone in the world.
My grandparents were very rich and lived twenty miles away from us, but didn’t care if we lived or died. They hadn’t even been to my father’s funeral. I didn’t like them anyway. They sounded like a bunch of snobs.
The coaches put me down and coach Weiss smiled at me.

“I’m sorry I underestimated you; you proved yourself tonight and I will never question you again.” Coach Weiss apologized. I shook his hand.

“I’ve got to get home now.” I said feeling out of it. Coach Weiss looked at me with confusion.

“You’re not going to stay here and celebrate being the best team in the league?” He questioned me. I shook my head and tried to make it through the crowd but everyone wanted to celebrate.

“Please let me through!” I snapped not wanting to stay here any longer. Coach Weiss walked over to me worried.

“Are you feeling alright?” He asked me. My head began to vibrate like a phone and my vision blurred.

“I…” I started. I collapsed unable to breathe. Everyone gasped as I fell over. Coach Weiss and Coach Morrs picked me up.

“Call an ambulance!” Coach Weiss yelled over the crowd. I felt like I was going to pass out into a dark abyss and tried to fight it.

“You’ll be fine; don’t worry we’ve got an ambulance coming!” Coach Weiss yelled trying to make sure I heard him. I nodded slightly with my head feeling like it weighed a ton. I lost control and the black abyss came closer until it overwhelmed me.

“Do we know what happened?” Dr. Atums asked. Dr. Newt nodded.

“The dose is too high for him yet.” Dr. Newt replied.

“We have no choice; we’re going to have to do it Tuesday or it will never work; he’s getting too old to do that.” Dr. Atums replied. Dr. Esla walked in.

“He’s here again.” Dr. Esla said looking straight at me. Dr. Atums ran to his desk and pulled out what looked like a Spork. He ran at me with it and I tried to get out of there, to open my eyes, but I was stuck there again. They were doing something to me. Dr. Atums pushed the Spork looking thing through me and I felt pain in my arm then to my chest as it was spreading.

“He’s waking!”
I opened my eyes to see Coach Morrs standing over me. I looked around and found that I was in a hospital. I looked down at my chest and saw three punctures on my chest. Coach Morrs wasn’t the only one in the room. Coach Weiss and Josh was also there, but not my mother. I wondered where she was. She would always be there for something small, but now it was something big and she wasn’t here.
“What happened?” I asked pulling off the wires on my chest. The machine immediately began beeping, but I didn’t care. I didn’t need to be there. Coach Weiss walked over to me.
“You passed out at the end of the game; now put those back on.” He commanded. I stood up with a sense of anticipation.
“I don’t need to be in here hooked up to this stupid thing in a stupid gown.” I said walking away from the bed. The door opened and doctors rushed in only to find me out of bed.
“Get back in bed or I’ll have you taken out of all your sports!” Coach Weiss snapped. I glared at him.
“Get back in bed now; young man!” One of the doctors demanded. I shook my head.
“A little help here!” The doctor yelled. Just like that all of the doctors snapped into action and pushed me onto the bed while sticking the wires back on me.
“I don’t need to be here!” I snapped. The same doctor stepped in front of the others and straightened his tie.
“You will need to be in here until you mother comes and checks you out.” He said. I scowled.
“We’ll make sure he stays in here.” Coach Morrs told them. Josh walked over to me.
“Jayden just stay here so we know that you’re alright.” Josh begged. It didn’t make me happy but I guess I’d stay here, but only until my mom got here. I nodded and all three of them smiled with relief.
“I’m only going to stay here until my mom gets here.” I said. Everyone looked at me with sighs.

My mom didn’t show up until the next day. I had spent the night all alone because of my mother decided to get drunk! Apparently she ended up passing out at the bar and didn’t find out I was in the hospital until this morning at ten. I had a bad feeling about them finding out though. The school could file a case against my mother and have me taken away from her. I loved my mother and didn’t want to be taken away from her and put in a foster home or worse, put with my grandparents that had never actually met me and disowned my father!
The doctors had finally released me to my mother at eleven and I was now getting ready to leave. This was all so stressful. Either way there was going to be some trouble with my mother. The doctor was yelling at my mother in the hall when I was getting dressed. I so desperately wanted to eavesdrop on them, but knew if I did the consequences would be dire. I would have the bad news on my mind all the time. I just wished I got to stay with my mother.
I looked in the mirror they had brought in here for me and saw that I was sickly looking. I wondered what from. My hair was still messed up from the game and my soccer equipment was dirty. The door opened and my mom walked in crying. The doctor was behind her with a grim face.

Tuesday
I woke up feeling miserable. My mother had been punishing herself because she got drunk that one night at the bar. She’d been crying all week. She was so ashamed that she’d passed out and left me in the hospital and to make it worse the doctor yelled at her for being so irresponsible and told her that he was going to file a case against her to make sure that never happened again. She kept apologizing to me and crying which made me cry.
I had cried so much last night when she told me what the doctor was going to do and ended up falling asleep. Now I woke up with a headache and needed to take a shower.
I stunk badly and mom was making me go to school today. I had stayed home all week with her trying to make sure she didn’t shut down and spend as much time as possible with her before her court date.
The doctor had apparently filed a case with the court the night before she came to pick me up. The court hadn’t been busy for the first time in years and so our court day had been picked. Her court date was tomorrow. I was so upset that I hadn’t care at all; all week and now I had to go to school and prepare for the appointment.
I regretted going to the game instead of going home to see my mom. Maybe if I hadn’t gone to the game she would’ve stayed home and then this court session wouldn’t have happened. I felt like it was all my fault.
“Jayden make sure you take your pills.” My mom said walking into my room. Luckily she came in a minute after I got dressed. It would’ve been pretty embarrassing to have her see me naked. A shiver ran down my back just thinking about it.
“I… I will I promise.” I said. She smiled for the first time in a week.
“I’m so sorry; I should’ve just come home right after school.” I said. She hugged me.
“You couldn’t have prevented that; none of this was your fault.” She said.
“I can’t help but think that I caused all of this to happen; I destroyed our family.” I cried. She held me there like she used to when I was a little kid. She comforted me like she did when I got scared and made me feel safe. Now laying there with her reminded me of dad. Our family was gone.
“This was my fault not yours; you have been an amazing kid and I’m lucky to have raised you.” She said stroking my forehead. My alarm went off and it was time to head off to the bus.
“Take your pill and I’ll drive you to school.” She said. I nodded and got off of the floor and went for my last pill on my dresser.
I had a bunch of memories on this dresser. All of my awards from sports were placed on this dresser along with my pictures of me in those sports above the dresser. Also on that dresser was a picture of my dad, my mom and me the last time we had seen him. Now I was going to miss my mother. This town was very harsh on parents with their children. I have no doubt that in any other town that I wouldn’t have been taken away from my mom for what she did, but we have seen cases where kids had been taken away from their parents because their parents forgot them at stores. This was much worse than that so we were saying our goodbyes tonight.
I grabbed my pill and swallowed it. I turned and grabbed my backpack then walked down the stairs. My mom grabbed her keys and we took off. I was sure going to miss her. I just hoped I wouldn’t be sent to my grandparents. They had disowned my father for having me. I doubt they would like to have me around.
“Time to get out.” My mom said. I looked up and did something I hadn’t in a long time. I kissed her on the cheek and walked into the school.

“Jayden you’ve been called to the office; take all of your things with you when you head down there.” Mr. Sears said. I got out of my desk and walked out of the room. My mom was a couple minutes early.
I walked into the office not to see my mother but a man in a suit. He looked like a business man.
“Who are you?” I asked the man. He turned to me with a smile.
“I’m hired to take care of you until your mother’s court session is figured out.” He said. I scowled.
“I don’t need anyone to take care of me; my mom is a good mom and she doesn’t need to go through this!” I snapped.
“I’m sorry but that’s not for you to choose.” He said.
“Well, I’m not going to a foster home!” I said stubbornly.
“Well, that’s good because your grandparents would like to take care of you.” He replied. My heart stopped. I was not going to let them take me to my grandparents.
“I’d rather be with a foster family.” I said. He sighed.
“I need to go to an appointment so move out of the way.” I said. His face turned hard.
“You’re in my custody right now.” He said. I gave him a death glare walking out of the door.
“You can’t leave without my permission!” The man shouted trying to catch up to me.
“You’ll learn that I don’t listen to people that I don’t want to!” I yelled back getting on my bike. My mom was late again and I was going to ride home to make sure that she came with me and they could see how responsible she was.

“Mom!” I yelled throwing my keys on the table. I walked around the house and couldn’t seem to find her so I went up to my bedroom and that’s when I found her. She was sitting on the floor balling her eyes out holding on to one of my shirts. There was a suitcase on my bed and clothes were packed.
I kneelt down next to her and rubbed her back. She flinched a little.
“I didn’t hear you come in.” She said
“We’ve got to get to my appointment and then after I’ll ditch the stupid man outside and we can spend the rest of the day together.” I said. She looked up at me with a miserable expression.
“I can’t let you do that.” She said.
“We can move and I can still be with you!” I protested.
“It’s over Jayden; you’re going to go with that man until everything is figured out.” She said. I felt some tears falling down my cheek.
“We can’t give up that easily!” I argued. She let go of the shirt and started rubbing my cheek.
“There’s nothing you can do, Jayden.” She said softly. I pulled her hand off my cheek.
“I can protest; I can tell them how great a mother you are!” I snapped.
“We’re are already late for your appointment; let’s go.” She pulled me up.
“You’re changing the subject.” I said.
“I can; I’m the mother.” She walked out of the room. I couldn’t believe she was going to let this happen.

“What took you so long?” Dr. Atums asked. My mom shifted from side to side on the balls of her feet like always.
“Nothing, let’s just get on with the procedure.” She replied. Dr. Atums nodded and turned to me in response.
“How did the pills go?” He asked. I shifted nervously.
“Well, at first it worked wonderfully and then last week I was submitted into the hospital and… well I think it was because of the pills.” I said. All of the men were staring at me and it was making me feel very uncomfortable. They were acting like I was an experiment or something. I hated that feeling.
“Then it’s almost too late; we’ve got to start the procedure right now.” Dr. Atums said trying to look worried, but there was something about that expression that made me not to want to trust them.
“We’re going to need to put you in that machine.” Dr. Newt told me. I had a very strong premonition not to go into that machine. I really didn’t trust any of them right now. Dr. Esla started typing something on the screen on the machine and it turned on. The machine was illuminating the whole room with a brilliant ocean deep blue. Dr. Atums turned to my mother again.
“We’re going to need to start right away; do we have your consent?” Dr. Atums asked. I needed to speak up right now.
“I don’t want to go in there; don’t make me go in there!” I begged. The doctors looked frantic. Even Dr. Atums looked worried.
“If we don’t get him in now he might not survive!” He exclaimed. My mom looked stuck.
“Mom trust me; have I ever said no to anything before?” I asked. She looked into my eyes.
“I… I don’t think…” My mom started. Dr. Atums nodded and the other doctors picked me up and started putting me into the machine. I kicked Dr. Newt and he stopped for a second then glared at me that made my heart do cartwheels. They started to move again and strapped me down to the chair in the middle of the 45 degree circles. I looked over and saw my mom trying to get to me but Dr. Atums held her back.
“Don’t; I don’t want to do this!” I snapped. Dr. Esla pushed my head back and a metal band came out and grabbed my head holding it back. A flash of terror flashed over me and I looked over to see Dr. Atums’s face fill with relief and triumph.
“Start it up.” He commanded. I looked straight as the 45 degree circles started spinning rapidly. I looked to the side but couldn’t see anything but what was in here. The chair in the middle moved up. A bright blue flash started going around and I saw a screen pop up in front of me. It was showing me blue body parts. After a while the light turned orange and a needle came out. My head started throbbing and I felt like crying as the needle started going for the top of my head. I looked down and tried to free my arms which were held down with restraints. I didn’t feel like being stabbed in the head with a needle. I turned my head and fought to get out and the needle pushed down into my skull and I screamed out.
“Mom!” I cried out. I didn’t hear anything. All I could hear were the circles propelling. I started crying from the needle digging into my head. I started to begin to get very tired and then a shock went through my body and my back thrust out. I felt a current go through my body and my vision turned black.
I couldn’t remember anything after that until I woke up.
“He’s still breathing; I thin k we’ve succeeded in placing the formula in the correct area.”
I felt incredibly dizzy and had a headache from the depths of… you’ve heard this line before.
“Uh!” I moaned.
“He’s awake; move back!” Dr. Atums exclaimed. I heard them scurrying away. I opened my eyes and saw Dr. Atums standing a few feet away from me.
“What’s going on?” I croaked. Dr. Newt tilted his head. I looked down and realized I was still sitting in the chair with my arms restrained but I could move my head freely.
“Where’s my mother?” I asked them. Dr. Esla pointed to the side. I followed his finger and saw my mom passed out on the floor by the door.
“Let me out of here!” I snapped feeling the adrenaline crawl around my body. I was going livid. They hurt my mom and she was on the floor. They hadn’t even had the decency to put her in a chair! Dr. Atums stepped forward and lifted my eyelid.
“His pupils are dilated.” Dr. Atums said backing away. I glared down at the restraints and suddenly they loosened. I grinned manically and ripped my arms out of the restraints. All four of them jumped back in surprise.
“What did you do to me?” I questioned them. Dr. Esla was the one to answer my question.
“We may have perhaps turned a few things on in your brain and inserted a few things.” He said. I was flabbergasted. They messed with my brain without anyone’s consent and hurt my mother!
“How much things did you to me?” I asked with venom in my voice. All of them looked as if they were going to pee their pants.
“You know that we only use one percent of our brain; well you’re now using eighty percent.” Dr. Newt said. I was appalled. They messed majorly with my brain! I felt my heart start to burst with rage. I had to get out of there before I did something I didn’t want to do. I had all the adrenaline in the world and then it vanished leaving me dizzy and full of rage. I stumbled back and closed my eyes. When I opened my eyes I found Dr. Atums hovering over me with a weird looking gun. I was shell shocked. I hadn’t planned for them to try to hurt me. I hadn’t even planned to have my brain messed with! No wonder I was shell shocked.
“Move and you will found yourself lying on the floor full of horrendous pain.” He told me. Now I felt like I was going to be the one to pee my pants.
“Why won’t you just let me go?” I asked. Dr. Atums smiled full of eagerness.
“We’ve searched up and down to find someone with enough brain power to handle what we’ve just done to you and now that we’ve found you we want to keep working on it.” He said joyfully. I for one was not joyful; I was feeling the exact opposite in fact.
“I’m just a kid; how much better could I be than the others; I’m sure there’s someone out there with more brain power than me!” I exclaimed.
“You use 1.989% brain power where most people use one percent.” Dr. Atums replied.
“I’m fourteen; I haven’t even been out in the world and lived my life yet; I’m sure there are others out there better than me.” I said. Dr. Stein looked into my eyes. He had been in deep thought the whole time and I had almost forgotten he was here.
“It’s a shame that you’re fourteen, but look at it in a positive attitude; you’ll be the next generation of the human race!” He exclaimed. I was beginning to notice how insane all of these people were. If these people thought that other people would line up to be the next science experiment, they were crazy. I didn’t know anyone who would do that willingly. I also noticed that they planned to show me off and all my emotions began to explode inside my chest.
“Listen to the words that come out of my mouth, I don’t want to!” I exclaimed. I clenched my jaw and then the emotions melted away. Dr. Atums took a step to shoot me and a thick boom that sounded like a grenade went off. Fog and the dust stirred around the room and I felt my ears ringing. I started coughing my lungs out.
When the fog disappeared and the dust settled down I looked around still trying to keep from coughing. The room looked like a tornado ran through here with an ambition to destroy everything but me. I looked back and saw that all the doctors were lying on the floor either passed out or impaled through lost metal. The forty five degree circles were hanging by a thin wire but collapsed to the floor. I was ecstatic to see the machine destroyed. These doctors or what was left of them wouldn’t be able to test it on me or anyone else anytime soon.
I walked over to Dr. Stein who was one of them that survived what came out of me. He and Dr. Atums had survived but the poor Dr. Newt and Dr. Esla had been the ones to die. Both doctors that survived just looked to have small traumas to the head but otherwise would be fine. I was relieved to see that they were alive. I couldn’t bear to look at the bloody mess that had been the others.
I felt a hand on my shoulder and immediately jumped and turned to see that it was my mom. She was all dusty herself but I’m pleased to say that she was perfectly fine. I watched from a distance floating away from my body as my mom dragged me out of the room and down the hallways.

We finally sat down quietly and to my luck the door slammed open and the man that had been chasing me all day stood there with two policemen.
“You will come with me; no more fun and games!” The man exclaimed. I couldn’t help but laugh hysterically. The policemen looked at me in confusion.
“What’s so funny about this?” He asked. I smiled.
“How many movies have you heard that from; this is so not important and if you were smart you wouldn’t take me from my mother right now!” I exclaimed. A look of worry passed over his face and vanished as soon as it registered.
“You’re one kid; we’re three men.” He said. I laughed.
“You don’t know how wrong you are.” I said. My mom grabbed my shoulder with exhaustion. She slowly stood up and looked like she’d pass out if she stood too long.
“My son will go with you; I’m sorry for his behavior; just get out of here before I let him do something that I shouldn’t.” She said angrily. I stood back up and turned to her.
“What are you doing?” I questioned her.
“I don’t want them to harm you or do something else that could ruin your life; lay low and don’t use your new talents.” She commanded.
“But mom!” I protested. She sat down.
“I can’t do this right now Jayden; go with these men.” She replied. The policemen grabbed my arms and waited until my mom stopped talking. We were about to walk out when my mom stood up.
“Uh, I’ve got to go get his clothes.” She said. The man turned.
“His grandparents wish for him to not bring anything.” He said. My mom’s eyes went wide.
“His grandparents… his grandparents want him now?” She snapped. The man nodded.
“Can’t you just place him in a foster home?” My mom asked.
“I’m afraid that I can’t do that; they’re his family.” He said. I straightened up and pulled my arms away from the policemen who immediately flipped out.
“We need to leave!” One of them shouted grabbing my shoulder and squeezing. The man turned away from my mom and lead the way happily. The only problem for them was that I wasn’t ready to leave yet.
“Mom!” I yelled. She didn’t come storming out. I kicked out at the policeman that was holding onto my shoulder. He stumbled back and I ran for the door tried opening it and found out that it was locked. My mom locked me out of my house. When I sank down to my knees and began balling my eyes out the same policeman stared at me with sympathy, but that didn’t stop him from loading me into their police car and hand cuffing me to the door. This was going to be a very long day perhaps even longer.

The ride was forever lasting. It seemed as if I was sitting in that seat with the man staring back at me with upset expressions. I had been hand cuffed the whole way there and even the sight of the humongous mansion of my grandparent’s estate made me depressed. My mom willingly gave me up. My family was broken apart and I was being forced to live with my unforgiving grandparents. I had even had my brain messed with! What else could go wrong?
I watched as we passed through the gates and saw miles of new shaven grass and marvelous statues with a gigantic water fountain. The mansion looked the size of the skyscraper maybe even bigger. It was black with fancy decorations everywhere. As we passed through even farther I saw five very expensive brand new cars in front of the front door. I didn’t see how my grandparents could live here.
The policeman un-cuffed my hands and pulled me out of the car. The man knocked on the door of the six foot door and waited for it to open. I really hoped that my mother won the case or something very bad happened to my grandparents.
The door opened and a tall well-dressed old man stepped out. I presumed this was my grandfather. He had short black hair that was combed over. You could clearly see his hair graying and he looked like he was fifty. He was wearing a black over coat with white designs curling around into small spirals.
“Hello?” The old man asked. The man straightened and tried to look fancy himself.
“I’m Derek, the man that talked to you about your grandson earlier this week.” The man said. His name was so overused. The old man’s eyes opened with interest and he searched outside, I supposed for me. The old man held his hand out to shake Derek’s hand.
“Robert Josephs, father of Eli and grandfather of Jayden.” The old man said. I swallowed uneasily.
“Where is my grandson?” The old man asked. The policeman shoved me forward and the old man studied me. He smiled.
“You look just like Eli himself; your grandmother will be pleased.” He said. I felt anger coming but I suppressed it. I didn’t want to make this man angry yet. He turned to Derek.
“You can leave now; I’m sure Jayden here is tired.” He told him. Derek nodded.
“I’ll tell you the news in a couple days.” Derek replied. The old man nodded and shooed them away.
When they left he grabbed my arm and pulled me in with a glare.
“No funny business or you’ll go to the streets!” He snapped. I didn’t know why, but I was afraid of his threat. Something about him scared me. I nodded and he smiled again.
“Good, now I’ll show you to your room so you can change and you can meet your grandmother.” He said. I sighed. He turned and walked up the steps. I started walking. I didn’t want to make him mad.
My room was as elegant as could be. The bed was king sized. The walls were painted very neatly and cool. There was a gigantic mirror in the corner of the room with plants all over the room. The dresser was as big as can be and the closet was bigger than my old room. Above the bed was a painting. The painting looked like me in a suit like my grandpa’s. Since I had never worn anything like that I assumed this boy that looked like me was my father. I had never seen him as a boy so it surprised me how much I looked like him. My Grandpa had been right on when he said I looked just like him.
I walked over to the closet and found hundreds of suits just like the one in the painting. The only problem was that I had no idea how to tie a tie. I slipped on the white elegant shirt then the over coat and the pants. I looked in the mirror to find a completely different me. I had never worn anything but t- shirts and jeans. Now I was wearing a suit.
“You’re just like Eli in that suit.”
I jumped and turned to see an old woman that didn’t look much different from what my grandpa had been wearing. The old woman had curly shoulder length brown hair. She was about as tall as me and was wearing a black dress with the same design that I saw in my grandfather’s jacket.
“You’re my grandmother I presume.” I said. She nodded with a genuine smile.
“You’re my grandson.” She said walking over to me.
“I can’t say that I would’ve named you Jayden though.” She said. I stood there staring at her.
“I can’t believe you’re here!” She exclaimed wrapping her arms around me. I was so uncomfortable. These two had abandoned my dad and my mom even me and now they were pretending to love me. It just didn’t feel right.
She pulled back wiping away tears and stepping back.
“We’d better get to dinner before your grandfather blows a casket.” She said. I stood there silent once more. She began to walk, but changed her mind turning.
“I know it’ll be hard to be here at first, but once you’re here a couple times it’ll get better; it should be better than that cheap place your mother was having you live in.” She said. I bit my lip. If she was going to act like this then I wouldn’t be able to behave for much longer. My mother did her best with what she had and did wonderful; I was the one that messed up.
She stepped closer to me and brushed my hair back.
“There that looks better.” She said stepping back.
“Come now, Jayden.” She demanded. I scowled. She grabbed my arm and pulled me out.
I could see this was going to be a rough couple days. Hopefully it’d just be a couple days.

“So you’re twelve.” My grandfather said. I stared down at the soup. I hated soup.
“I’m fourteen.” I said looking at the soup in disgust.
“You’re lucky that we took you when we did, I couldn’t tell you how messed up you would’ve been.” My grandmother said. My head snapped up and I glared at her. Snobs!
“My mother is a good mother!” I snapped.
“I can’t see how a good mother would be drunk in a bar when her kid is in the hospital.” She replied. I stood up with my anger overwhelming me.
“I can’t see how a good mother would disown their kid!” I yelled. My grandfather stood up.
“That’s enough!” He exclaimed. I glared at him next.
“You aren’t any better!” I snapped. He towered over me making me consider standing down.
“Sit down.” He commanded. I glared into his eyes.
“You aren’t in charge of me.” I said. He slapped me making my head jerk to the right. I let my head rest there for a minute feeling tears shoot down my cheek bones. I turned to face both of my grandparents. My grandmother looked moody and my grandfather looked utterly livid.
I did what anyone would do if they had just lost someone. I ran out of the house and kept running. Sure my grandparents would call the police or the social worker, but I didn’t care right then. All I wanted to do was run away. I needed to get out of there to breathe. They were suffocating me with hate.
I ran past the gate and kept running towards the town. Town was a mile away, but I didn’t care, I wasn’t going to stay here another second. At least for now.

I looked around the streets tired and wanting to rest for a little bit, but I couldn’t. I had to keep running before they caught up to me.
I didn’t see anyone that would recognize me right away right now so I guess I was safe for now.
I turned a corner and ducked behind a trash can. Coach Morrs was walking this way. He knew that I wasn’t with my mom anymore; in fact he was one of the people testifying against my mother. He knew about my mom’s issues and knew I had been the one to keep her sane. Apparently he didn’t think I was supposed to deal with that stuff. I liked Coach Morrs, but I didn’t like what he was doing.
He walked past me without looking back. I really hoped he hadn’t seen me. He turned the corner and I let go of my breath I hadn’t known I was holding.
I stood up and walked towards my house. It would be kind of hard to get there without being seen though. The police station was just a block down from our house and I had to walk past it to get there.

I looked over at my house watching a police car drive away from the driveway leaving my mom on the porch.
My mom sat down on one of the deck chairs and held her head between her arms. She began to cry then the door opened and a police officer walked out sitting next to her.
The police officer was a male with dark brown hair and blue eyes. He looked like a body builder.
I didn’t want to mess with him, but I wanted to see my mother more. I overcame my fear and stood up. The policeman put his arm around her and hugged her.
“Your kid will be fine; just tell me if you see him.” He said. She nodded.
“Do you need anything?” He asked. I hid behind one of the bushes.
“I just need to wake up; that’s all.” She said. He stood up.
“I’ll get it; wait here.” He said walking in. Now was my chance. It was now or never.
I got up from the bushes and walked onto the porch. My mom looked up immediately hearing the steps rumble.
“Jayden.” She said. I ran to her holding my hands out to hug her. She held me for a minute then pulled away.
“You weren’t even there for a day.” She said.
“They’re awful; all they do is insult you and dad.” I said. She nodded.
“You need to get out of here.” She said. I shook my head.
“I won’t do that; I won’t walk away from you.” I said.
“I can’t protect you anymore; you have to get out of here before the officer is called back out.” She said.
“Mom, don’t…” I started.
“Officer Grant!” She yelled. I backed away.
“Mom, please.” I begged. The officer ran out of the house and looked over at my mom. My mom pointed at me directing his attention to me. His face softened.
“Jayden, just come with me.” He said holding his arms out.
“You’re not in trouble; we understand.” He said slowly walking down the steps as I was backing away.
“Don’t make me go back; they’re horrible people.” I said. I looked over at my mom making him leap for me. I slid to the side knowing he was trying to catch me.
He hit the ground falling on his face. I looked at my mom one last time seeing the tears come out of her eyes and ran from the street.
“Jayden is running down the street heading towards the business area.” I heard Officer Grant yell.
I slid behind a building just in time. The police were everywhere searching for me or asking people if they’d seen me. It was a nightmare.
I hid from building to building passing the officers walking the streets. This must’ve been the most excitement the officers have ever had. All of them must’ve been out there.
“You there; halt!”
I turned around almost getting out of the business district. An officer stood in front of me pulling out a baton and a picture.
“Jayden; don’t go anywhere!” He exclaimed. I dashed through an alley hoping that he wouldn’t catch up to me. I kept running until I realized I was running into the parking lot of the hospital.
“Jayden is running through Greenwood alley!” The officer yelled trying to catch up to me.
I didn’t have a choice. I jumped over a car then another leaving the officer running around. I looked back and now found three officers coming. I ran into the hospital and immediately ducked behind a sign.
The officers ran past the sign and straight to the receptionist.
“Have you seen this boy?” The first officer asked. The receptionist looked up at the photo of me.
I was surprised they had that photo. It was a photo of me when I was at soccer camp. I had worn my blue soccer jersey and navy blue soccer shorts. I had my soccer ball between my arm and side. It had been a very sunny day that day which made it a perfect picture for the photographer. I remember the week after they took my picture and put it in the newspaper. That was a wonderful day.
“Uh, yeah he was here earlier today with his mother; Jayden I believe.” She said.
I thought of the appointment earlier today and felt an overwhelming feeling of fear.
“Have you seen him any earlier than that?” The policeman asked. The receptionist shook her head leaving the policemen confused and depressed. They walked out of the building and I stood up.
I was glad I didn’t have to deal with them. At least for a little bit.
I started to walk out of the building when someone pulled me around. I twisted my head and my heart leapt. Dr. Atums and five other people including Dr. Stein were standing in front of me.
“I think we have unfinished business.” Dr. Atums said. This couldn’t have been a worse day.
“Lindsey make sure no one goes upstairs.” He said staring at me. I had to do something. Anything.
“Can’t we finish this up any other time?” I joked. He grabbed ahold of me and held a rag over my mouth. I was going to visit the black abyss again.

“He’s waking; better hurry up.”
I moaned and opened my eyes. I had a major headache.
“Hurry sedate him!” Dr. Atums exclaimed. I pushed out and someone went flying against the wall. My vision cleared and I could see that I was laying on an examination table with Dr. Atums and Dr. Stein in front of me with tools.
Dr. Atums grabbed the Spork looking tool and thrust his hand at me. I put my hands up and kicked at his arm making the tool fly out.
“I’m not staying here!” I exclaimed.
“Jayden just wait a minute!” Dr. Stein yelled. I slid under Dr. Atums and immediately began running. The room was full of different devices that I’d never seen before. Most of them looked like the machine I had been in earlier today, but they were much smaller. I dashed out of the room and into a long hallway.
I had no idea where I was or even what floor. There were four choices I could make to get out of here.
Three hallways and one door. What one should I pick?
“He’s right there!” Dr. Stein exclaimed. I looked back seeing Dr. Stein, Dr. Atums and two other doctors running behind. I quickly picked a route to go and ran through the door.
I jumped down the last step hearing the footsteps of the doctors behind me. Apparently I had chosen right.
Eight flight of stairs led me down to the receptionist’s desk with the doors in view.
“Lindsey stop him!” Dr. Atums commanded. The receptionist looked up.
“Hey, isn’t that the kid the police are looking for?” She asked. Dr. Atums sighed.
“If you don’t you’re fired!” Dr. Atums snapped. I ran through the room and out the doors running for the Greenwood alley.
Finally making it to the market area I looked back to see that Dr. Atums was still behind me. I had managed to lose the rest of them, but Dr. Atums was much harder to lose.
A car stopped in front of me blocking my way across the street. I was tired of running and everyone in town was on the lookout for me.
The car door opened leaving me sighing. Coach Morrs was walking towards me. I didn’t know how I’d get away from him. He was much faster and smarter than me and I had Dr. Atums behind me.
“Jayden you’re only going to make the sentence worse by running from us.” He said. I shook my head.
“I can’t stay with them; they are awful people; they don’t care about me.” I said looking back. Dr. Atums was gone. I couldn’t see him anymore. One minute he was there now he wasn’t. I wondered what happened.
“I know Jayden, but they’re your family.” He said an inch away from me.
“They’re not my family.” I said.
“We can do this the hard way or I can just take you back.” He said.
“I’m sorry coach.” I said. He took out his phone and dialed.
“He’s right here; in front of the store.” He said into the phone. I shook my head.
“I can’t go; I have things to do; I have school.” I said. Coach Morrs put the phone in his pocket and folded his arms.
I had no idea why I was just standing there. Maybe I wanted some reassurance; maybe I thought that all was lost. Whatever the reason I couldn’t stay here.
I looked into Coach Morrs eyes then heard the sirens and saw the cars after it. I darted to the side and hurdled over cars then became trapped as the police cars circled me.
“I will do my best to make sure that you’ll be able to be with your mother, but I can’t promise anything, Jayden.” Coach Morrs said.
“I need my mother.” I said. He sighed.
“I’m sorry.” He said as the officers got out of the cars.
“Freeze, Jayden!” Officer Grant shouted. I put my hands out glaring at Coach Morrs. I was caught and I knew it.

“It’s going to be harder than just finding him.”
I looked around seeing Dr. Atums sitting in a metal chair with light shining on him. He was in a dark room leaning on the backs of the chair’s legs.
“You lost the boy; you’re responsible for what happens.”
The voice was a deep tone that sends chills down your back. The voice sounded like someone you didn’t want to mess with.
Dr. Atums flinched and sat on the chair with all four legs.
“I’m sorry; I’ll do my best to get the boy back.” Dr. Atums said looking like he’d just seen a ghost.
“No, no; you’ve had your chance.” The voice said.
“Please, please I won’t fail you again!” Dr. Atums begged.
“Goodbye Atums.” The voice said.
Dr. Atums started screaming with pain immediately grabbing his head and pushing. He stood up and ran for the door and ended up running into the wall then collapsing with a sickening thud.
“You’re here; aren’t you boy?” The voice questioned. I felt my heart speed up. I backed away feeling my breath wash away.
“This is only the beginning.” The voice said. I felt sudden pain growing in my head and whimpered. I screamed out.

“Get up.”
I opened my eyes still feeling the pain in my head. Officer Grant was standing over me with the car door opened.
“What’s wrong?” He asked. The sun in my eyes made the pain worse.
“My brain feels like someone stuck it in a microwave.” I said. Officer Grant nodded.
“It’s probably a migraine.” He said.
“How?” I asked blocking my eyes from the sun.
“More than likely the stress that you’ve had the last week or so.” He replied. Good thing the sun was going down.
“I don’t think this is a migraine; I’ve had migraines; it’s worse.” I said. He rolled his eyes.
“It’s a migraine; quit stalling and let’s go.” He said pulling me out.

Sadly we were back at the house again. The door opened and my grandfather stepped out.
“I take it you finally found him.” He said to Officer Grant.
“We did our best.” Officer Grant replied.
“It’s been a day.” My grandfather said. Wait, a day? I was so confused. What had they done to me?
“I’m sorry.” Officer Grant said. My grandfather looked over at me.
“Let’s go.” He commanded. I walked to him still shocked.
He grabbed my shoulder and led me inside slamming the door on Officer Grant.
“You’ve caused us so much trouble; your grandmother has been very upset from all the trouble you’ve caused her.” He said. I looked into his eyes exhausted.
“I don’t care.” I said walking up the stairs.
“I’m not done talking to you!” He exclaimed. I yawned.
“But I’m done with you.” I said.

I looked down to see what I was wearing. Apparently they had ripped my clothes and did surgery on me. I had no idea why, but there were stitches to prove it. My hair had been shaved to a military kind of hair style and stitches went down the back of my head.
“What happened to you?”
I turned to see my grandmother. It was so hard feeling bad for her. Even when she’d been crying.
“You wouldn’t believe me.” I said. She frowned and sat down next to me.
“Of course I would.” She said putting her hand on my shoulder. I stood up and began pacing.
“I was taken by these doctors,” I started. She sat up intent.
“Continue.” She said.
“They…they operated on me and….. kind of did something to my brain.” I said. She looked furious.
“Fine, don’t tell me!” She snapped. I shook my head and blew up.
“See, no one will believe me; if you don’t want to trust me then fine!” I snapped. She looked sad.
“You’re telling the truth?” She questioned me. I nodded vigorously.
“Why would I lie about this?” I replied.
“And they did this with permission?” She asked. I reared back like something had hit me.
“Why would I be telling you this if they did it with my permission?” I questioned her again. She sighed angrily.
I didn’t get why she cared about me so much. I didn’t even know her.
“What did they do to you?” She asked me. I took a deep breath and waited for the fear to pass away. Should I tell her?
“They turned on more of my brain power.” I said. She coughed.
“They what?!” She exclaimed. I rubbed the back of my neck.
“I can show you.” I said. She looked confused.
“Do it then.” She said. I stood still then crouched to the balls of my feet taking a deep breath.
“What are you doing?” She asked. I ignored her completely and pushed my hands out twisting my hips as a big wave of stuff flew to the wall smashing.
My grandmother leapt down covering her head.
I stood up straight as I heard hurried footsteps.
“What happened in here!?” My grandfather snapped. He glared at me manically. A shiver flew down my back.
“Robert, oh Robert; he’s… just watch!” My grandmother exclaimed hanging on my grandfather’s arm.
I really didn’t feel like being a circus freak.
“Do it, Jayden!” She exclaimed. I sighed crouching down to the balls of my feet again. I thrust my body to the left watching everything fall off of the walls. My grandfather jumped back and glared at me.
“What sort of magic is this?” He questioned me angrily and pulled me up by my shirt.
“I… it’s not magic.” I stammered.
“Robert let the boy down!” My grandmother snapped. He glared at me as he sat me down.
“Tell him what happened.” She said. I shook my head fearing that they’d turn me into a profit to be made.
“Jayden now!” She snapped. I shook my head again.
“I won’t become a side show.” I said. My grandmother stomped out.
“You’ll fear disobeying us.” My grandfather said walking out. I looked at the time. My mother’s trial would start in twenty minutes. It was enough time to get there before they came to the decision.
I looked around trying to find a window. Finally moving curtains I opened the window and climbed out seeing a ledge I could climb along to get to a height that wouldn’t kill me if I jumped.

I had five minutes before the trial would come to an end. I ran up the steps and stormed into the courthouse.
I looked around seeing the police standing outside of the doors into the courtroom. Officer Grant stood outside the door along with Josh’s dad, Rich.
Officer Grant glanced over as I walked in then tapped Rich. Both of them looked frustrated. Officer Grant pulled out handcuffs facing me.
“Jayden just go home.” Rich told me. I shook my head.
“I can’t leave my only family; this wasn’t my mom’s fault; I did this.” I said. Officer Grant shook his head.
“Your mother is facing these charges because she left you alone while she went to a bar.” He said. I was now about a foot away from both of them.
“I did this and I need to tell them that.” I lied. Rich looked at me with confusion. I ran through the doors catching Rich and Officer Grant off guard.
“Wait!” I yelled running through the aisle.
To my surprise Judge Rayce was the judge in my mother’s trial. Judge Rayce was a very forgiving judge as well as sympathetic man. Judge Rayce was a pretty big man as far as his build goes, but being sixty it looked odd. I guess with old age you understand more.
He stood up as I ran to the end with Officer Grant and Rich behind me. I also knew Judge Rayce real well because of my father. My father and Judge Rayce had been pretty close before my father went missing.
“What’s the meaning of this, Jayden?” He asked me. My mother who had been sitting at a table in the front of the room stood up. The Jury all looked at me with shock and I smiled.
I had grown up in this courtroom playing with the Judge’s daughter, Kathleen while the Judge and my father talked.
We often used to pretend to be the Jury or the Judge, but that soon dissipated after my father went missing.
Officer Grant grabbed my arms and cuffed them.
“Judge you know me; I wouldn’t interrupt anything unless it was very important.” I began.
“Enough of this Jayden.” Officer Grant said pulling me away.
“Wait, Officer Grant.” Judge Rayce replied. Officer Grant let go of me and I stuck my tongue out at him. I turned to Judge Rayce so relieved that he let me speak.
“Tell me this important information; no lies or your mother will suffer the consequences.” He replied. I nodded very grateful. I sighed.
“You all know me,” I started looking around the room and ending at the Jury.
“I’m not the most organized and I tend to forget to do stuff, even important stuff; like homework; you know Mrs. Baring.” I said looking at my old fifth grade teacher. She nodded.
“Speed it up.” Judge Rayce said. Now for the big lie.
“I had been given pills to take from these doctors that had said I needed those pills to survive.” I said looking around at the Jury’s confused faces.
“To the point, Jayden.” Judge Rayce said sitting down and looking annoyed.
“The point is that I forgot to take those pills; I left those pills at the house and went to the game anyway knowing that I could’ve at least called my mother; my mom has always been very good about that stuff and always sat back and worried about me, but for once she went out to have a good time; this isn’t her fault.” I finished. Judge Rayce sat up as did the Jury.
“Well this changes everything.” Judge Rayce said looking into my eyes.
“She’s the only family I have left.” I said spotting Coach Morrs. Coach Morrs looked angry and I wondered if he knew I lied.
One of the Jury members stood up and walked to the Judge handing him a piece of paper. That was quick. Judge opened the paper and leaned forward into the microphone.
“The verdict is… not guilty.” He said. I let go of a deep breath.
“Jayden, you can stay with your mother.” He told me. I looked back at Officer Grant seeing anger flow through his eyes.
“I think you’d better let me go now.” I said mockingly. Officer Grant unlocked the cuffs and my arms flung to my sides.
I looked up at Judge Rayce to see him smiling. He still cared about us. I imagined he would since Kathleen moved far away from here.
“Court adjourned.” He said slamming the mallet down. My mom ran to me and immediately hugged me.
“I missed you so much; I know it was just one day, but…” She trailed off.
“We should celebrate.” I said thinking of my stomach. She smiled like herself again.
“How’s Donnie’s sound?” She asked. I was surprised. She hated fast foods because she’d heard from a doctor that it would cause cancer. Stupid doctor.
They’d already said that peanut butter caused cancer and no one caught cancer and everybody eats peanut butter. They’d also said that the world was flat, but look how wrong they were.
Donnie’s was a burger fast food place like so many others, but Donnie’s had the best ice cream.
“I’m going to get the car; wait in here.” She said walking away. I nodded already feeling vulnerable. I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around.
“We need to talk, Jayden.” Coach Morrs said. I nodded. He must’ve known.
“Where?” I asked.
“Follow me.” He said walking into an empty office. I looked around the room seeing that there were no pictures or personal belongings. It was depressing.
“I watched you before the game, Jayden; I know you lied.” He said. My heart sunk. I figured he knew, but him confirming it sent me off for a loop.
“I need my mother; she’s the only family I have left; this wasn’t her fault.” I replied quickly. He sighed setting his hands on his hips.
“You just lied to the Judge and Jury.” He said.
“I know, but I had to.” I said. He shook his head.
“If anyone finds out your mother would definitely be taken away from you; you’d never be able to see her again.” He said. I now felt like I was going to puke because of the sickening feeling that erupted in my heart.
“Please don’t tell.” I said. He put his hands up.
“Don’t worry; I won’t tell, but you lose your privileges for soccer.” He said. The sickening feeling disappeared a little.
“If you ever step out of line like that again this might make its way to the Judge’s ears.” He threatened. I stood there staring at the floor.
“See you tomorrow.” He said walking out of the room.
I grabbed the trash can and threw up. I was beginning to think there was so much more to Coach Morrs than I had thought.

I traced a circle around the ice cream.
“What’s going on, Jayden; you normally would have inhaled that within a minute?” My mom questioned me. I looked up.
“I’m just not hungry.” I mumbled. She placed her hand on mine.
“I’m sorry about what I did yesterday.” She said. I shook my head.
“It’s not that.” I said faking a smile.
“Then what is it?” She asked me. I thought of what Coach Morrs said.
“It’s just that… you saw what happened in the room with the doctors.” I lied. She looked confused.
“What about the doctors?” She asked. Now was my turn to be confused.
“The procedure; you know.” I said pushing out. She looked even more confused.
“The procedure went well; there’s nothing to talk about; you’re fixed for right now, but we need to go back next week.” She said.
I dropped my bowl of ice cream letting it crash to the floor. They’d done something to my mother!
“Mom please tell me you remember what happened!” I exclaimed.
“Yeah, you went in, Dr. Atums performed surgery on you and we walked out happily.” She replied. I was really concerned now.
There was no way she could’ve forgotten that without someone forcing her to. They’d definitely done something to her.

An employee walked in and stared at the broken bowl in horror. He looked up at me and then back to the bowl.

“I’m so sorry it just slipped out of my hand.” I said letting him pick up the pieces.

“Jayden; what’s going on; you look ghastly pale.” My mom asked worriedly.

“Nothing mom.” I said, “let’s just get home; I’m tired.”

She nodded and paid the bill.

I flung myself on my bed terrified of what else could happen. I heard a knock on my door and turned expecting to see my mom, but didn’t.

I jumped up off the bed fearfully. Dr. Atums and Officer Grant stood side by side in my bedroom.

“What are you doing here?” I questioned. Officer Grant smiled cheerfully.

“See, Jayden we weren’t done with you just yet.” Dr. Atums said. I stepped back with the panic taking over.

“Oh and I wouldn’t try escaping we have this place full of other doctors willing to work with you.” Dr. Atums said. I swallowed not knowing what to say. These people just wouldn’t give up. I seriously couldn’t think of anything else that could go wrong.

Dr. Atums pulled out the spork looking tool freezing me with fear. That was what kept me from going in my dream.

“What did you do to my mom?” I asked. Dr. Atums shrugged.

“We don’t need anyone else knowing about our situation here.” He said. I frowned.

“Just leave me alone.” I said. Dr. Atums stood straight.

“I’m afraid we can’t do that; we’ve invested too much in you already.” He said. He turned to look over at Officer Grant then swung around and whipped the spork tool hitting my chest.

I looked down at my chest and found the spork tool lighting up a clear blue then sinking farther into my chest. I looked up at Dr. Atums just in time to see him knock me over. This was terrifying. I couldn’t move with that spork tool in me and people were invading my house which I just got back to.

“Let’s go back.” Dr. Atums said to Officer Grant. Officer Grant nodded and started walking over here to pick me up.

“See you when you wake up.” Dr. Atums said just before the lights went out.



“He’s waking up.”

I opened my eyes seeing Dr. Stein standing over me. I moaned and looked around feeling as if my head had just exploded.

Dr. Atums stood over me on my left with a surgical tool. I swallowed clearly feeling that they’d done something to me.

I tried moving my arms, but found they weren’t responding. I looked down at them finding they were restrained. Why were they always restrained?

“What did you do to me?” I squeaked out. I needed water. Dr. Stein grabbed my head and flashed a light into my eyes.

“His pupils are still dilated.” Dr. Stein said. I turned my head looking away from the light.

“I don’t want to be here!” I snapped. Dr. Stein pushed my head back then turned to Dr. Atums.

“What do you want to do with him?” Dr. Stein asked. Dr. Atums came at me with the spork tool and stuck it down into my chest. I screamed out feeling it wear on me. It was getting very tender there.

“Goodnight Jayden; you’ll feel very sore.” He said. I tried to yell out, but nothing came out. There was no sound coming from my mouth. Dr. Atums smiled.

“Just how I like it.” He said. I didn’t know what to do. Suddenly I wasn’t so awake, my head started feeling very heavy like I was about to tip over at any minute.

“Wake up.”

“Jayden, you’re going to be late for school!”

I opened my eyes and was suddenly embraced with sharp pain wrapping around my head. I looked up seeing that my mom was standing over me opening the curtains.

“Uh!” I moaned. She turned to look at me.

“It’s good to know that someone’s alive in there.” She said. I rolled over immediately covering my eyes.

“Shut the curtains!” I yelled. She sighed.

“You need to get up before you miss the bus.” She said.

“Migraine mom.” I said.

“Oh, sorry; it’s closed now.” She said. I threw the blanket off of me and stared at her.

“You’re dressed for work.” I said. She nodded.

“You need to get up and take your pill before I leave; now.” She said.

My eyes turned wide as I remembered as to what happened.

“What?” She asked concerned. I shook my head.

“A little privacy please!” I exclaimed. She laughed uneasily.

“I get it; I’ll be down stairs; take your pills!” She commanded.

“Pills?” I asked. She nodded.

“You ran off yesterday upset about what your grandparents had said to you, but passed out and Dr. Atums found you, brought you down here and dropped off some pills.” She explained. My heart sped up.

Dr. Atums had been in my house! Dr. Atums kidnapped me. My heart felt as if it were beating a thousand times per second.

“Are you alright?” She asked me. I nodded.

“I think I’m going to call Dr. Atums.” She said.

“No!” I yelled. She looked at me confused.

“Just let me get dressed; I’ll be fine.” I mumbled. She nodded and walked out.

I immediately looked down at the clothes I was wearing to see I was still in the clothes I’d been given at my Grandparent’s house. The buttoned shirt had been ripped open and was full of blood.

I ripped the rest of the clothes off of me and stood flabbergasted as I found stitches going all the way down my chest and wrapping around to my back.

The stitches were ugly and resembled them; what they’d done to me. There were also stitches on the back of my head and made it look like I’d gone through major surgery.

I couldn’t believe how different I looked with my head shaved made to look like a buzz cut. It looked like I’d gone through the military and came back with battle scars.

I looked over at my dresser and found that my pictures and awards had been messed with. It made me furious. No one messed with my stuff!



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.