Star-Face: The Beginning | Teen Ink

Star-Face: The Beginning

By a-living-mystery BRONZE, Round Rock, Texas
a-living-mystery BRONZE, Round Rock, Texas

Yesterday was history, tomorrow a mystery, but today is a gift that is why it's called the present.

No one can recall how it happened or why, it just did. Five years ago teens began to evolve powers, like stuff out of comic books. Over the years people found that at the age 15, a teen who possesses a unique ability would form a tattoo like mark on their right temple in the shape of a star.

The stars had the different colors that were significant to the strength of the person's ability: bronze for fair, silver for average, and ,then the rarest of the all, gold for ultimate. At first, the stars and powers of the teens were excited and new, but not everyone was chosen.

Those who weren't chosen were outraged that they weren't chosen. Soon those who weren't chosen created vicious lies about the "Star-Faced" or magical people. The star-faced were painted as awful human beings that wished to rule the mortals and destroy all freedoms. Soon World War 3 broke, but this time it was the supernatural verses the mortals.

The mortals outnumbered the star-faced, defeating them in battle. As result of the battle, the star-faced were forced into plains, or large holding areas just for magical people, but those who went were never seen or heard from again.

Though some star-faced were smart and hid from the mortals eyes because those caught were sent to special places called "Labs". The Labs were said to be worse then the plains because of experimentation and torture of escaped star-faced. Though rumors say that they also send the gold star-faced people there because they are more dangerous then any other star-faced.

In the last decade only 3 golden star-faced people have existed in the entire world. Though only one still remains in hiding, it is said in an ancient prophecy that one golden star-face, who possesses multiple gifts, will raise from the ashes and either destroy the world or save all supernatural and mortal beings.

A knock on the door wakens me from my peaceful sleep. My eyes still hazy with sleep, I stumble to the open my bedroom door to find my family standing there, grins ear to ear, with a large cake in their hands. They began singing ' Happy Birthday' out of key which made me laugh. The twins at a mere age of three sang it not only out of tune but with no correct words. "What a beautiful cake! Thank you so much," I gushed as I took a swipe at the frosting. I licked the rich vanilla off my fingers with a big grin. "Happy barfday, Lil,"said little Tommy in his sweet angelic voice. "Yeah, happy barfday!" said his adorable twin sister, Joy. "Do you mean birthday? Because barfday sounds kind of smelly, silly geese," I said with a huge smile across my face as I reached out to tickle, " now give your big sis a hug before she gets ready for school." They wrapped their little arms around me and then they ran off. I watched as the ran down the hall, into their playroom, and then I turned to my father with a sorrowful look because I knew today can change everything. "No star. Let's hope it stays that way," sneered my stepmother in the harsh and high pitched voice," I am going back to bed because if she becomes starred I rather not catch it and end up like the other vermin in the street." " You know if were up to you and the rest of society, you would murder ever 15 year old on their birthday just to keep them from becoming a star-faced. And FYI it's not contagious," I yelled after her and ground my teeth in hatred. Since the day my father said "I do" my step-mother has become the wicked witch of the west. She is the leader of the "World without Star-faced" campaign which I find wrong. Though most of society hates star-faced, I feel sorry for them because the are hated for something they have no control of. My father though just stands by and allows my new "mommy" to ruin my life and take away all of my sunshine and hope in life. " Sorry that your special day started off like this sweetheart," he said sorrowful," but maybe it will get better so keep that chin of yours up. I have to go to work now sweetie and you have school, so have a great day," " Bye," I said as he walked away," love you." He kept walking not looking back as if this day wouldn't change my life for all eternity or not. I pray it doesn't but you never know because you don't select the star it selects you. I close my door with a sigh and turned to my new task at hand: looking fabulous. Twenty minutes later, I am standing in front of my full length mirror making sure every detail is perfect. My hair curled in small ringlets of brown that framed my face, a thin line of black eyeliner to accent my sea blue eyes, and my crimson red dress, that was mid-thigh and had a V-neck dip, which compliments my olive skin tone. I found a pair of midnight black heels and after a few test laps around my room, I finally left for school. The day was refreshing because it wasn't to hot or cold but perfect. The ground was still wet from last night's rainstorm but as I looked up not a cloud in the sky just the teal color which says a good day today. The smell of fresh pine trees from the park by my school welcoming telling me everything will be fine. It's just another day.... A day that could change my life but a day all the same. "OMG!!!" ,squeaked the voice of my best friend, " You look amazing Lil!! Happy Birthday Day!!!" "Thanks", I mummer. "I know your scared about the whole marking thing but you'll be fine your way to cool to be a Star-Face." This immediately perks up my mood and I head off to our first class of the day. Every eye stares at me as I pass and I have to admit I like the attention but not enough to do this everyday. I scoot into my seat my Daren the hottest guy in school. The bell rings as Mr.Jackson walks into the classroom. Suddenly my head begins to hurt slightly but I push it aside to concentrate on today's lesson. By half way through class the pain on my head is so intense I can't stand it no more. I try to get up but I am so dizzy that I fall and the next thing I remember was everything going black.

The fluorescent lights of the nurse's office, shine brightly in my eyes pulling me awake from my sleep. I go to get up but leather straps prevent me from moving. I look down And several straps hold me down on the table, as I begin to panic I trash against the restraints but it is no use . I am trapped. Blood is pounding against my ears and my heart is racing.

I look around and realize I am actually not in the nurse's office or any kind of office like I thought I was but instead a solid white room. I scream for help and my voice rings throughout the room but my cries are in vain. No one hears me.

"Silence witch!! Unless you wish to have your mouth covered I recommend you remain silent," said a menacing voice over an intercom. I immediately silence figuring doing as told was the best way to survive.

"Good. Now gas will be released into the chambers and the more you resist breathing the longer you'll prolong your suffering....," the last word echoed throughout the room sending chills down my spine.

Moments later, which seemed like eternity, the gas was released as the voice said and I tried to resist it but eventually I gave in and breathed in the fumes as I slowly drifted into my mind again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This time when my eyes opened I was able to actually sit up. No more leather straps holding me down and no more white room with gas in it. Instead this room was similar to a mental institution's room, with a door that had a small window to see in it out of but only opened from the other side of the door. I had been laying on a steel spring bed that wasn't comfortable at all and my clothes were changed into plain white scrubs.

Another door was at the end of the bed and my curiosity got the best of me. I slid off the bed, that squeaked with my every movement, and placed my bare feet onto the ice cold floor. I cautiously move toward the door and opened it.

Inside was a small bathroom with a shower, toilet, sink, and a tiny mirror. In the mirror stares back at me another person. She has my eyes, mouth, and even the same scar on my upper forehead from when I fell off the swings at the park when I was 3. The only difference was she had a star on her temple that shone radiantly. It wasn't the star though that scared me it was the color of it. It shone with a radiant gold color.....

The clicking of the door to the bedroom distracts me from my admiration of my star. I leave the bathroom to find the door to the room open and a odd faced lady with a mole on her nose stood at the door's entryway in a solid grey nurse uniform.
"Lunchtime. Get out and get your food no roaming in the hallways or you will be placed in the Correction Wing understood?" she said in a nasally and harsh voice before retreating back into the hall.
Quickly I stumble to the doorway and exit the now crowded hallway. All the people in the hall seem to be teenagers and all of them had a star. A strange sense of security flooded me to know I wasn't the only one in this hell hole. I join the crowd of white scrubbed star-faced and follow their lead to the dining hall, since I didn't know where it was. So many questions ran through my mind and anxiety filled my every cell in my body as I walked.
I had become so self absorbed I tripped over someone and we fell onto the floor. As I got up a girl about my aged stared back at me with sapphire crystal eyes, long and curly platinum blonde hair, with skin that would make Snow White envious. On her right temple was a silver star glistening brilliantly.
"Are you alright?" she said with a voice like a wind chime.
"Um.. Yeah. I am new here so I kinda was self absorbed I didn't see you." I replied hesitantly.
"Oh well then welcome to the last place you ever wish to be! My name is Jeanine but just call me Jean."
"Okay hi Jean! My name is Lilith but you can call me Lil everyone else does. Or at least did..."
"Well since your new come sit with my friends and I at lunch I insist."
"Okay."
"Yay!!" she squeaked.
Jean grabbed my wrist as we rushed off to the dining hall for lunch. It was nice to make a friend before lunch so I wouldn't be alone and Jean seemed pretty awesome.
Jean's friends were sitting around a small circular table. The seven of them, four guys and three girls, were in deep discussion on a topic I couldn't hear because of their hushed voices. As Jean approached with me hiding behind her as much as I could, their voices hushed into silence by the time we reaches the table.
"Hey Jean I think you got a shadow there," teased one of the boys.
"Be nice," warned Jean, " everyone this is our newest member Lilith or as she prefers Lil."
"Hi," I said in a shaking voice and I took my seat beside Jean.
"So what level are you?" asked one of the girls sitting across from me.
"Pardon me?"
"You know what's your star color?"
"Um gold. Can't you see it?"
Everyone ducked their head down and Jean leaned into my ear. "She's blind. The Plain-Faces performed an experiment on her that left blind a few months back," Jean whispered.
"Oh I am sorry I didn't know.." my voiced trailed off because I didn't know what to say.
"Well enough with this gloomy stuff how about I get you acquainted with everyone," said Jean trying to keep the group in a happy mood even in complete hell.
"Okay," I agreed looking forward to understanding my new friends more.

An hour later I know almost everything about the people at the table.

First there was Jean whose full name was Jeanine Redding. She was a Silver-Faced (or what she calls it) and her powers were pretty awesome powers of telepathy and she is telekinetic! Her father is the rich millionaire Tyler Redding head of Redding Industries which produce pretty much anything and everything of the future. Redding Industries created the first flying cars a few years back. From what I could gather though the second Jean was marked he disowned her and sent her here wanting nothing to do with her.

Then there was James Lopez a Bronze-Face who could levitate off the ground! James had dark black hair with eyes to match which blended into his cafe colored skin tone. He came from the getto on the outskirts of town. His father ran out when he was a baby and his mom was left raising 6 kids by herself. He was forced to drop out of school early to work and help support the family. His mom was devastated when he was marked and pulled out of her arms by the SWAT team.

The boy beside him was Eric Lehman who had sandy blonde hair, chocolate eyes, and pale skin that had a slight tan. His silver star stood out compared to his features, which showed that his powers of teleportation and illusions were good. He was raised on a farm in the middle of no where and was home schooled. His parents were okay with him being marked but one day someone passing by saw him and turned him in.

Cain and Kent Longmire we identical twins but you could tell them apart because Cain had a scar across his right cheek from trying to break out of here. They had blonde hair with emerald green eyes and tans that were perfect. Kent and Cain both were Bronze-Faces but had completely different powers. Kent could create force field that could deflect anything for short periods of time. Cain on the other hand could heal anyone and anything as long as they weren't to badly hurt. Cain and Kent were the clowns in the group and were always looking for mischief. Unfortunately they can't remember their past besides coming here. The Plain-Faces must not want them to figure out what their past was.

Jaffra Anderson was the girl sitting in between the twins. She had strawberry red hair and the most unique grey eyes I have ever seen with a silver star beside her right eye. Unfortunately Jaffra was blind because of the experiments performed upon her when the Plain-Faces tried to enhance her powers but like the twins has no memory. She could see the future and manipulate plants (which is kind of strange but cool).

The girl sitting beside Cain was Kathleen O'Conner a Bronze-Face who sees in the dark am imitate voices of others ( though she is partially deaf but she replicates voices pretty good by sensing their vocal waves and pitches). She had flaming orange hair that made her sky blue eyes stick out extremely. She had been raised in the city in a foster home. Her mother gave her up at birth and ever since Kathleen was moved to every part of the country imaginable before coming her because she was marked.

Finally there is Quincey Linberge with his dirt brown hair and piercing purple eyes (yes purple) that stood out against his chalk white skin. His silver star seemed to blend into it and he could freeze anything as well as alter his own and others appearances. I actually knew him slightly. He lived in my neighborhood and went to my school. His folks were always away on business trips leaving him alone most of the time.

I was there the day they dragged him away at school. I remember clearly because it was the first time someone I knew (even slightly) was marked. He tried to run away from the officers who were there to arrest him. One officer grabbed a gun and shot him in the back with a tranquilizer dart and the second it struck him he went down, asleep. They dragged him away like an animal and it revolted me how they treated him. Afterward everyone went on with their day was if nothing happened.

I wonder was that how I removed from school? Displayed and treated like an animal or as if I was a savage?

"So where are we headed now," I asked as we left the cafeteria once lunch was officially pronounced over.
"The recreation hall," said Quincey in a neutral voice. I wonder if he recognizes me?
"What do you guys do there?"
"Oh you know just hang out and try to remember we aren't prisoners of this awful place," said Jaffra rolling her eyes causing everyone to laugh.
Turns out the recreation hall is actually a large white room with a high ceiling that was lined with mirrors at the very top. No doubt that those were two way mirrors and guards with guns on the other side awaited any trouble to begin so they could shoot us freely.
Throughout the room we table and open areas for us to do with what we pleased. Some sat at the tables and chatted, mostly girls, and others, mostly guys, were standing chatting and laughing loudly.
One group of girls caught my eyes right away. They sat around the table in a self righteous manner as if everyone and everything revolved around them. They reminded me of the popular girls back home how the sat and held themselves. I must have stared to long because the platinum blonde in the center of the table, which must be the 'ring leader', looked me over and then made a face of disgust.
"Looks like the Loser Squad got a new recruit," she sneered at Jean, "we'll new girl if you ever want to actually be worth something, especially with you're level of power it's never to late join us before you become loser too." She laughed as her and her group shoved in between me and my new friends.
"Just ignore her. She thinks she is all that just because her power is with one touch she knows everything about you. Be careful she'll use them against you," whispered Jean with a bitter hard tone. Something tells me Jean and her go way back, more than Jean likes to say.
"Come on guys," said Kent.
"Let's get out of here," finished Cain.
We found a table in the back corner of the R.C (what the call the recreation hall) and we all say close together.

"So Lil," started Quincey in a hushed tone, "before you get mixed up with us we want to warn you about what you're getting into."

"Um okay so what am I getting into?"

"Well you see to get into our group not as a friend but as a member you have to prove yourself before we can tell you anything," said Eric.

"What do I have to do?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That night when everyone was sleeping I was wide awake and ready for the task at hand. Tonight I had to sneak out of my room to meet the others in the outdoor wing.

I used a wire that Cain gave me to pick the lock. They definitely make it look easy on the movies because for me to pick this lock it took me about 10 minutes to actually unlock.

Once out of the room I bolted down the hall as silently as possible because if I wake any of the other patients than they'll alert the guards by mistake resulting in my stay in the Correction wing (aka where the use experiments as a punishment to keep you behaved).

My heart is racing from adrenaline Because the door is around the corner and a grin spreads across my face until i look around the corner and see guards in front of it with loaded guns.

I needed in that room if Jean and her friend will ever let me in on the secret. I had to think but nothing came until I sat down in frustration. I made this far and I can't fail when I am so close to achieving it, I tell myself.

There as to be another way in and the sudden rush of cold air frightens me slightly because it was unexpected. That's it the air ducts lead into the room and is the least likely way to get caught!

As quietly as possible I remove the vent and place myself inside it. Butterflies bubbled in my stomach as I slide the rest of the in and found it was a slightly tight fit.

I pulled myself until I saw a left turn and took it. Every exit I looked out until I finally found an exit that had a nature setting outside it.

Carefully I remove the vent from the duct and crawl out.

What I see amazes me and all I can do is stand there with my mouth open like a weirdo.

The room was designed just like the mountain ranges I use to visit when I was a little girl in California. The pine trees that climbed like skyscrapers and touched the stars. The smell of them roaming around the room even the ground looked like it did in the mountains themselves. I was so amazed by the sight I didn't realize I was being watched.

"Beautiful isn't it," said Jean, "to bad it has a sinister purpose."

"What do you mean?"

"They use this place to see if their experiments work."

"Oh..."

Jean and I just stared in silence for a few moments before she broke the ice.

"Come on let's go meet the others they're waiting."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We broke into a clearing where there was a campfire was set up.Sitting around the campfire was James, Eric,and Kathleen while Kent,Cain,and Jaffra were racing around the clearing seeing who was faster. Everyone stared at me but Quincey who stood against a tree on the far corner keeping his face down.

"Alright now that everyone's here let us start talking so everyone join around the campfire," said Jean in a strong leader like voice.

"We should catch Lilith up to speed," said James.

"Good idea. Okay Lil this is the deal we are going to breakout of here next week and we are making plans to make it successful. Are you in?"

"Heck yeah I don't want to stay here."

"Good know than let's get down to work."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Half an hour later everyone knew the plan and their job within it. Butterflies filled my stomach because my role was important but also the most dangerous.

"We should probably get going before someone notices we are gone," said Jaffra which everyone agreed.

We put out the fire and then dispersed into the forest separate ways so if one was caught we all weren't.

Someone grabbed my are which made me jump ten feet into the air before I turned around. It was only Quincey and my heart began to calm after I realized I hadn't been caught.

"What are you doing I thought we were all going separate ways?"

" I have to talk to you privately," he said, "without the others."

"Um okay what's up?"

"I remember you....," he said.

His statement surprised me. Did he really remember me??
"I remember you. You were there weren't you the day I was taken away, weren't you?"
"Yes I was," I said looking down.
"I remember you because I thought to myself right before I was knocked out that you were my guardian angel there to take me away. So when you came to our table today I knew it must be true."
"What?!?"
What was he saying? Did he even know what he was saying?
"Lilith I want to say sorry."
"Sorry? For what?"
"I am so sorry for this," as he said this he wrapped his arms around my waist pulled me into his body before kissing me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The kiss was passionate an it was like fireworks going off around us but only in my mind.
"I just wanted to do that before you know the plan went down."
"Oh."
"Well goodnight Lilith and I hope life is good for you."
My heart ached with joy and pain because it knew what was about to happened meant him and I could never be but was happy because at least now I knew.

The next morning when we went to the Recreation Hall I found Jean and went to talk to her.
"What do you want," she questioned arms crossed.
"What do you mean?"
"Did you really didn't think I would find out about your little secret from yesterday? Remember sweetie I can remember MINDS!!"
"So everyone has secrets!"
"Well at least I tell my friends my secrets what about you?"
"Well I don't know about you but at least I don't have daddy issues!"
"That's it!"
Jean jumped at me with such fiery and with lightening fast sore she punched my face and I staggered back.
"I am not fighting you because you are BELOW me on the social latter."
With that I spat toward her, turned around, and walked off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The girls who tease Jean yesterday stood against the wall smiling.
"Hi I am Lilith and you were right I am better than those losers."
"Good that you came around. My name is Mary," said the girl with the blonde hair.
"So ready to become a popular?"
"It's just like you said someone like me deserves a better ranking than the bottom."
A smirk spread across her face, " Welcome to the group!"

That night a note was place under my door:
GREAT JOB signed The Ring Leader

A week passed in no time and now the day has come. Time to escape.
I picked the lock to my door and met Jean in the hallway.
"Good job last week really made it believable that we weren't associate with one another. Have you found your powers out?"
"No."
"It's okay they will usually in a time of need."
"Okay. Ready?"
"Hell yeah I am!!"
"Well let us give the signal!"
"Let's do it!!"
We took a deep breath in and screamed at the top of our lungs. Guards flooded the hall to see the commotion and we took off.
They shot at us but the shots didn't go far because a force field swallowed us. Suddenly James, Eric, Kent, Cain, Jaffra, Kathleen, Quincey, and Mary appeared out of no where.
Mary's ability was invisibility which was why Jean had us fake fight only to get close to Mary and convince her to join us. Though Jean hated her she knew if this was going to work Mary had to join us and the only thing that she hated more than Mary was being trapped here.
So far everything was going as planned and we took off in the opposite direction. At the end of the hall was a door that lead outside into the big problem. We burst through the door and run for the gate. Guards follow us but we are far ahead of them and almost out to the gate where James will levitate us over the gate.
Suddenly one by one my friends fall to the ground until it'a only Mary and I left.
"What's going on?"
"You shouldn't put your full trust into just anyone Lil you might get bitten," she said with a sinister smile.
"You!!!! I am going to kill you!" I screamed.
Power boiled up inside of me and I was about to erupt. Suddenly all my power burst through and I was no longer in the prison but somewhere completely different.
I was standing in the middle of my room and all my friends laid around my room. My body suddenly gave in against my will and everything went black.....

I woke up in a hazy. What happened? I looked around and suddenly everything of what happened rushes back into my mind suddenly.
Jean stirred on the ground and groaned loudly as she came back to reality.
"Am I dead?"she asked groggily.
"No you're in my room," I replied.
The others began to stir and wake up as well and within a few moments everyone was awake.
"Jean, Mary betrayed us,"I stated," she hid a power from all of us I think because all of you guys knocked out and was about to turn us in I think."
"I knew we shouldn't have trusted her! Anyways how did we get here?"said Eric.
"I am not sure. One second Mary and I were yelling at each other and the guards were closing in and the next thing I know we were here."
"Maybe that's one of your powers teleportation!! Not like Eric's though much more powerful!!" Jean said excitedly.
"Well first off we better leave because my folks aren't to keen on the idea of Star-Faced."
"Good idea," said Cain, " we have to leave before light out and find somewhere safe to stay until dark. It's to dangerous during the day to move around."
Quietly has possible we snuck it to the hallway into the kitchen and out the front door. We all just stopped on the porch because this was our first steps into our new life on the run but free.
We looked at each other and in a silent agreement we run into the woods by my house and become one with the night.
After a while of wondering around in the woods we stumble into an abandoned cabin which happened to be unlocked. We filed inside and start a fire in the fire place. Eventually we all drifted into a peaceful slumber on the floor curdled around the fire for warmth.
A squeak of the floorboards woke me up. The others were still asleep but I didn't imagine the floorboards creaking because it happened again from behind the small bathroom door.

I cautiously stepped toward the bathroom and open the door and there stood a little girl about 2 years old.

"Hi sweetie what are you doing here?" I asked as I squatted down to her size.

"My mommy and daddy says stay here after these scary men came and took them," she said sadly.

"When was this?"

"I don't remember I just remember hiding there," she pointed to a trap door under a rug that was now revealed.

"Well what's your name?"

"Annie Elizabeth Longmire."

Suddenly it hit me Cain and Kent's last name was Longmire! Once I looked at her she looked a lot like the twins just in a little girl form version.

"Annie do you have brothers?"

"Yes! The mean who took my mommy and daddy took them!"

"Come with me sweetie I won't hurt you okay?"

"Okay," she raised her arms so I can pick her up.

I grabbed Annie and placed her on my hips as I stood and back into the main room. When I got there everyone was still asleep.

"You guys wake up it's important!" I said loudly. This sure got them to wake up because they all groaned but started to rub their eyes as the tried to wake up.

"What's going on," groaned Jean," and who is this little girl?"

"Yeah where did this kid come from?" joined Kathleen.

"She came from the bathroom her parents were taken."

"Well what now this little girl can't be caught up with us lets just give drop off at the road tonight and her family will find her," said Eric.

"We can't," I said," because she is already with her family."

"What do you mean?" asked Cain finally appearing from behind the others with Kent coming along.

"Cainny!!" exclaimed Annie. "Kentty!!"

"How does she know our name, Lil?"questioned Kent puzzled.

"Everyone this is Annie Elizabeth Longmire the baby sister of Cain and Kent."

Everyone just blinked and the was a long moment of silence than out of no where they twins both sat down.

"This was our cabin..." started Cain.

"And this was where our parents were murdered..." finished Kent.

"What do you mean murdered?" asked Kathleen.
"I mean when we were taken away our parents tried to protect us and they paid with their lives because of it. The men who came to kidnap us didn't realize my parents were up when they broke in. They had already had us bound and mouths covered and outside when our parents rushed out. They screamed and begged for us but our our kidnappers refused. Our father rushed back in and pulled out his gun. That's when Annie woke up and came outside. My mother told her to run back inside and hide," Kent said tears streaming down from his face.
"They pulled teasers out and shot out parents with them. They fell like rocks to the ground. One of the guys took our father's gun out of his hand before shooting him and Mother in head," finished Cain,"They tranquilized us right after. The last thing I saw before I knocked out was them rushing inside the cabin. I thought they had killed Annie."
"Than why couldn't you remember this before?"asked Kathleen.
"Because when we first woke up we were so enraged they decided by giving use medicine to block our memories it would be better. When you said Annie's name Lil it triggered our memory."
Annie had sat down on Cain'a lap and curled up against him. He hugged her close to him and kissed her head.
"Well I guess she is coming along with us. We can't leave her here or trust anyone with her," said Jean.
Everyone agreed and than we decided we should find food in the forest to eat.
"I found nuts," said Eric.
"And I found berries," said Quincey.
After we ate we decided to would just hang around the cabin til nightfall, which came fast than we expected.
We collected berries and nuts already an it should be enough for a few days. We found blankets and rope in the little safe room where Annie had been hiding but no luck with any actual food or water.

"Do you guys know if there is a river or stream near by?"asked Jean.

"No there is no water systems around here. There is a pond with fish but it's not clean water," responded Kent.

We found a trail that must lead back to civilization so we decided to stay near the path but hidden from plain view. Eventually we reached the end edge of the woods and looked into the dead night.Everything was still and silent.

"Where are we going?" asked James.

"We could go to my folks home they will hide us and probably take Annie in so she will be safe," replied Eric.

"Do you think we can reach your house tonight because we can't travel during the day," whispered Jaffra.

"No we will have to travel two day it is outside the outskirts of the city and right know we are in the complete other side," Eric said.

"Let's go to my house than," James joined in," we can reach the getto before dawn and my parents will let us stay possible but temporarily."

"Great then it's settled! Off to James and than Eric's!"said Quincey. I don't know why I shivered at the sound of his voice but I did and it made me melt into a puddle.

"Okay James lead the way," I said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After hours of sneaking around in the shadows and dark alleys we reached James' old street.

"Okay I am going to go across first and make sure it's okay with mi madre," James said.

He cautiously bolted across the street and toward a small run down house that could only belong in the getto.

The walls were crumbling and the windows boarded up and it looked like it should be condemned unlivable and to small to hold 7 people inside plus another 10 people.

He went up to the door and knocked on it. He stood there for a few moments before he turned to leave.

Was he walked off the porch a black four door car with tinted windows suspiciously crept down the road. We sunk closer to the alley wall to hide in the shadows better.

James must have not noticed the car or just didn't care because he was still walking across the lawn. All of a sudden shots rang out and the car speed off as someone within it shouted "M-15!!" (a local gang) out the window.

James crumpled to the ground and even from a distance I could tell he was badly injured because red liquid surrounded him.

"James!!" shouted Jean as we ran across to his side.

He was bleeding badly and I put pressure on the wound trying to slow it. He had been hit on his upper right side and it looked by how much blood was coming out that the bullet had hit a major artery.

"Tell my family I love them please....," he breathed," you guys....have been the best friends.... I have ever had..."

"You're going to be fine," cried Kathleen.

"I am so sleepy," James said weakly.

"Don't go to sleep," I said as tears poured from my eyes.

It was in vain though because he had already closed them. His breath was shallow and almost none existent.

"Do something Cain!! Heal him," yelled Jaffra.

"I can't I have only healed small wounds nothing like this before!"

"Well try don't let him die," Kathleen exclaimed.

"I can't. I can't," Cain kept repeating sobbing uncontrollably.

Eric went limp under us and his pulse was so faint now. We all knew what was happening. James was leaving this world......

"No! No! No," I cried," you can't leave us please we need you James!"

Again energy built inside of me and I focused it all on James and pushed it out of me. I thought of life and how he looked just a few moments ago fully healthy.

I can feel the energy drain from me and a white light begin to resonate from my palms over James' wound. As the power within me left James began to get color in his cheeks again and his breaths deeper. His pulse began to starts up stronger and more powerful than before and my hands slipped to my side.

My head was becoming light and I feel to the ground. As darkness swallowed me up, I saw James eyes open and than I fell into a tunnel of just ebony.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I could tell I was being moved because of the bouncing motion and the crunching of shoes against the ground. Strong arms held me up and cradled me to a body. I could tell it was a guy who had an impressive six pack and a chiseled chest through the shirt.

I opened my eyes and looked through the hazy to find Quincey'a face looking back at me.

"Good to see your beautiful eyes awaken," whispered Quincey into my ear.

"What's going on?"

"Oh thank goodness your awake!" Jean said happily after hearing my voice.

Quincey put me on the ground lightly but I was still off balance from what had happened earlier. So when I tried to get up, I fell back on my bottom again.

"Perhaps I should carry a while longer," asked Quincey.

"Sure," I mumbled barely being able to get the word to come out.

"You know I was right about you being an angel," he said softly.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean you brought James back from the dead."

"WHAT?!?"

"You heard me correctly look head sweetheart. He is fine and alive thanks to you."

"I did that?"

"Yes. Cain was shocked too. He felt so ashamed he didn't try to save him," he said with a slight hardness in his voice.

"It's okay we asked a lot of him all at once. We shouldn't have especially when he isn't ready for it."

"Here we are," Jean informed to group.

"Where are we?"

"I remembered thus abandoned hotel and thought it would make the perfect crash pad for us," she explained.

"Oh okay."

"So everyone pick a room!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quincey took the room next to me an the 5th story of the hotel. We all thought it would be wiser to stay high in the hotel in case someone comes we have enough time to think of a way to escape.

I started to drift asleep in the comfortable queen sized bed, when the door clicked open. I immediately got up to see who it was and yet again I found Quincey standing there.

"What are you doing here?" I whispered.

"I had a bad dream that you had...."

"That I had what?"

"Been killed."

"Oh. Well I can assure you I am fine."

"I know. I just ..... I don't know....... wanted to make sure."

"Goodnight Quincey. I am really tired so I am going to bed."

"Okay but first...."

He pulled me close and kissed me gently on mouth. Just like the first kiss we shared fireworks went off and I seemed to melt into a warm fuzzy puddle against him. When he finally pulled back I was saddened and longed for another.

"Goodnight Lil. I'll see you in the morning."

"Wait," I said, "perhaps you don't have to leave. You can always stay..." I suggested.

"I would love to!"

I went back to the bed ,my heart still racing from the kiss, and pulled the covers over me. Quincey went around the other end and got under the covers too. He pulled me close to his body and I turned around to lay my head against his chest, listening to his wondrous heartbeat.

Slowly my eyes gave into darkness and my breaths deeper, as I drifted into slumber on Quincey. The last thing I heard before drifting off was Quincey saying, "I love you Lil always have and always will......"

The next morning I woke up in Quincey's arms and our legs tangled together. I could feel Quincey's steady breaths running down my neck that sent butterflies bubbling in my stomach. I went to get up but he pulled closer to him and held me tight.

"Please Lil don't leave yet," he whispered.

"Okay I won't," I said as I rotated so I was on my side facing him.

In his slumber he was so peaceful and extremely handsome. I ran my finger across his cheek and planted a soft kiss there. He smiled and opened his eyes revealing those lavender colored eyes that make me melt.

"I love you, Lil and I always will,"he said somewhat sadly, "always remember that okay?"

"Okay but it would be hard to forget when you're always by my side."

He sighed and released me from his warm embrace as got up to leave.

"Quincey is everything alright?"

"No this was a mistake I shouldn't have stayed here last night I was supposed to...."he trailed off as he began to pace across the front of the bed.

"What do you mean?" I said sitting up.

"Look Lil I am no good for you okay!"he practically shouted.

"What are you crazy? You're the only guy who has ever made me feel this way. You are good for me you're just doubting yourself," I said a little hardly back.

"No I am not. I asked Jaffra if she saw us in the future together and she told me.....she told me....," Quincey couldn't finish because he began to cry and rushed out of the room. I ran to the door and watched as he disappeared behind his one room door.

Now it had me wondering what could Jaffra see that was so bad in the future?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That morning everyone met in Jean'a room for breakfast, well everyone but Quincey that is. It made me a little worried so I went to his room but when I knocked no one answered. I figured he fell back asleep or just wanted to be left alone, so I went back to breakfast.

"Okay soon it will be dark and than we will head to Eric's house. He found a working phone last night and called to let them know we are coming. They said they will bring a car the the outskirts of town to pick us up so we don't have to walk to far," Kathleen informed everyone.

Everyone got their share of berries and nuts to eat, which surprisingly wasn't that bad to eat. Kent and Cain tried to keep Annie entertained so she wouldn't cry, which was a simple task.

"Lil will you carry me tonight. Kenny and Cainny did last night but I want you too," she said sweetly," please! Pretty please!" She began to pout.

"Of course sweetie."

"Yay!!!" She began jumping up and down excitedly.

"Well everyone go back to your rooms and start packing up we will leave soon so make sure you got everything you need," Jean said.

We all dispersed into our room and gathered our things. All of mine were in the front of the room and was I was about to leave a glimmer in the fading sunlight caught my eye. On my pillow layer a frozen, ice lily flower.

I picked it up and put my belonging in a small trash bag (because I really didn't have that much) and went toward Quincey's room. The door was open this time and when I walked in no one was inside.

He is probably in Jean's room with the other, I told myself. Though when I went in Jean's room everyone but him was present.

"Where'a Quincey?" I questioned everyone.

"He left a note in my room saying he was leaving...," Jean looked down sadly.

"WHAT?!?!? Why would be leave?" I exclaimed, "You! What was that vision you told Quincey about?" I turned to Jaffra practically begged.

"You don't want to know."

"Yes I do I need to know what it was."

"Look before I tell you know. No matter what I see I can't stop it and it does come true. Okay?" she said tears coming down her face.

"Okay. Just tell me please I beg of you to tell me!"

"In the vision I saw you and Quincey together. Only you were dying as he held you and he was crying over you..."

"Who killed me? Maybe I can stay way from them and it won't have to come true!"

"That's why Quincey left. You see....he was the one who killed you Lil. Quincey is going to be the death of you....."

"What? No there has to be a mistake!" I cried.

"There is no mistakes and it will come true," she and everyone else know was crying. They knew all along but tried protecting me from my inevitable future.

Quincey was right he was no good for me..........

We left the hotel all red eyed and no one talked. Annie rest on my hips as we walked towards the arranged meeting spot. There a black mini van awaited us. Inside was an older couple which had to be Eric's parents and as soon as the woman saw him she bursted into tears.We climbed into the can and cramped into the van and then Mr.Lehman speed off towards their home.

Mr. And Mrs. Lehman was saying something to Eric and the others but I was to distracted to say anything. My mind was wondering about what my future now held and it wasn't a pretty one. Why would Quincey kill me? What do I do that makes him want to destroy me?

Unfortunately those answers won't have an answer until it was to late.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It took about 3 hours to get to the Lehman's large country house. The house had 13 bedrooms and 7 bathrooms. The house had a huge kitchen, 3 living rooms, and back yard.

The girls took the top story of the house while the boys took the one below us. Annie had decided she wanted to sleep with me and I didn't mind at all. Honestly Annie helped me keep my mind off Quincey and made me smile.

"Liiilll," she whined when zoned out.

"Yes darling."

"Can I call you my new mommy?"

"What why?" She completely took me off guard with that one.

"Because you're just like my old mommy. She took care of me and held me and call me 'sweetie' and 'darling' too."

"Oh no sweetie you mommy will always be your mommy."

"Why can't I?" she pouted.

"Don't you think your old mommy would be jealous?"

"No she is okay with it. I asked her last night and she said she is happy I have you to protect me."

"What do you mean you asked her?"

"I see my old mommy and daddy in my dreams. Since they took Kenny and Cainny away mommy and daddy have talked to me in my sleep and protected me." She stated as if it was completely normal.

"Well I guess you can then," knowing no matter how much I argued she would win.

"Yay!!!" she jumped up and down," I have a new mommy! Thank you thank you thank you!!!"

I smiled I guess that makes me a new mother. Though unofficial I think I just adopted Annie and my child, I wonder what Kent and Cain will say when they find out.

"Come on sweetie. Time to go memes," I said using the word my mother used to make sleep sound more fun.

"Awwww," she replied," do I have to?"

"If not the tickle monster will come and tickle you!!"

I got up an began tickling her as she screamed with glee at the new game. She ran around the room as I followed her, as she giggled and smiled. Eventually she got tired and went to bed smiling.

"I love you new mommy," she said and kissed my cheek.

"I love you too sweetie," as I kissed her forehead.

I climbed into the bed and she curled into a ball against me. I didn't need Quincey to make me happy and I would be fine without him. I know my heart cried for him and his presence but I would get over it. I was a mother now of a child who has gone through a lot and I needed to be strong for her.

Annie was all I needed and she was my new family and so were my friends. Quincey was just I faze I guess but now it is time to start finding who I am without him.....

Since we were going to be staying at Eric's house for a while we decided to still stay low just in case someone visits or passes by.

"Here use this to cover you stars," Mrs. Lehman said handing everyone concealer that matches their skin tone.Surprisingly it worked and looked as if it was never there.

"Mommy you look like me now," said Annie.

"Mommy?" questioned Kent looking at me.

"Come here sweetie it's time to tell your brothers," I said as I picked her and placed her on my hip.

"Cain come here please," I shouted to him as pulled himself away from the mirror where he admired his now clear temples.

"What's up," he said his hands in his pockets.

"I have adopted Annie," I began, "as my new daughter. She asked me to last night and I agreed."

Both boys stared at me mouths open, astonished. For several agonizing moments they said nothing before they turned back into their same smart selves.

"Does that mean we have to call you mom too?" asked Cain.

"No you smart butt you. I adopted only Annie so she is still your sister but also my new daughter."

We all started laughing and though I would never admit it to them I appreciated them accepting me as Annie's mother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eric's parents had a huge flower garden out back and a pathway through it. Annie had begged for me to take her and see them.

"Okay okay munchkin lets go see the flowers," I said with a smile.

Annie wanted to see if Cain or Kent wanted to go as well. We found Kent in the living room with Kathleen. They were sitting on the couch talking and his arm was around her shoulder. I knew she liked him you could tell but it surprised me to still see it.

"Come in Kent is busy. Perhaps Cain will come?"

Sure enough Cain was more than willing to spend time with his baby sister. She walked between us holding each of our hands as we made our way through the flowers.

"You know I think it's sweet what you're doing for her," he said with a blush.

"Thanks I felt bad for her and I have a soft spot for children. I figured she has been through a lot."

Annie wanted to be picked up so each of us picked her up my her arms and swung her back and forth, which made her giggle with glee.

"You know, she has a power," I said.

"What?"

"She told me last night she sees ghosts."

"Oh. I see."

"You don't seem surprised."

"Well I'm not. She is still young but she has shown powers and strong ones. It made all of us worried what will happen when she is 15 if they are already so strong."

"I know what you mean...."

Annie let go of our hands and ran ahead. "Stay close sweetie," I shouted after her.

"You make a great mother."

"Thanks," I blushed looking down.

Annie came back with a handful of flowers she picked. They were all sorts of colors.

"Look Mommy!"

"Oh wow are those for me?"

"Yeah. And Daddy."

"What do you mean sweetie?"

"Cainny is my new Daddy!"

"Oh is that so," I eyed Cain who was as red as a tomato.

"Yeah!"

Suddenly there was a snap in the bush that drew our attention. A large dark figure appeared out of no where and grabbed Annie. This infuriated me and I shot after them as they ran off with her.

Annie was screaming and I finally caught up to the and tackled them. Annie got up and I yelled for Cain to take her to the house. I turned my attention to the person on the ground but they were gone. And in their place was a note:

HAD TO GET YOUR ATTENTION. MEET US A THE EDGE OF THE CORN FEILD AT NOON TOMORROW. BRING THE OTHERS ~Ring Leader

I had no idea who this Ring Leader was but they messed with the wrong girl to try and take my baby. I guess tomorrow we will find out who Ring Leader is and what they want from us...

When I got back to the house everyone looked at my with relief. Annie was in Cain's arms crying and he rocked her gently.

"Annie sweetie I am back and I am okay," I said sweetly.

"MOMMY!!!"

"Are you okay sweetie?"

"Yes. I was scared that guy took you like they took my old mommy," she said years streaming down her face.

"Oh no honey," I said as I took her from Cain and cradled her in my arms," I would never let that happen."

"Okay," she nuzzled her little head into my collarbone soaking my shirt with now stopped tears.

"Perhaps we should put her to bed so we can talk to everyone," Cain said.

"You are probably right considering she is dozing off as we speak," I looked down at Annie who was battling with her eyes to stay open,"she has had a long day."

Cain took Annie from me because I couldn't carry her up 4 flights of stairs without my arms possibly breaking off. We walked slowly up the stairs and for half the way up we said nothing until I broke the ice.

"So your Annie's adoptive father?" I questioned.

"Yeah.... Though if it means anything I didn't know you were her adoptive mother," he said quickly.

I laughed at that. "Well I guess we are stuck with each other than. At least I don't have to be a single parent I always got you to fall back on huh?" I slightly nudged him.

"Yeah you always have me," he said give a strange look that reminded me of....no I am not going to get sad over him. Not yet at least.

"So what does it feel like being a father now?" I asked him.

"Great. I have always thought of Annie like my own, even when she was still my sister and not my daughter, so nothing new for me. And yourself?"

"I use to have to twin siblings her age I use to care for all the time so to me it is nothing new. I am happy though I can make Annie happy."

We reached mine and Annie's room so I opened the door for Cain. He took her to the queen size bed we shared and I pulled back the covers for him. Once he place her on the pillows she tucked her in and we both have her a kiss.

"Mommy are you going memes too?" she asked using our special word for sleep.

"No. Not yet honey, daddy and I (that is going to take some getting use to) are going to talk to the others and then I'll come back okay?"

"Okay," she said slightly sad.

"Don't worry I'll be right downstairs. Goodnight munchkin." I payed another kiss on her forehead.

Cain leaned over her and said goodnight as well before giving her a kiss and joining me outside the room. Quietly we closed the door and retreated back down the stairs.

We walked in silent and the others were waiting for us at the bottom of the steps. We told them what happened in the garden and I told them what the note said.

"We can't go see this Ring Leader person! What if it is a trap?" Jean said.

"Either way we are in trouble because they know where we are,"Kent responded.

"I am going," I stated.

"Me too," stated Cain looking at me than looking down.

Slowly one by one everyone agreed but we determined we will be cautious about this and be ready for an ambush. We dispersed into our rooms but Cain walked me up to my room.

"Goodnight my fellow co-parent.....," he said blushing.

"Um goodnight to you too," I said giggling.

"I better get going. Bye," swiftly he bent down and kissed my cheek before dashing down the staircase. I stood outside the door for several long moments astonished by just what happened. I finally turned around and closed the door behind me am I could feel a blush rise to my cheeks.

Annie sat up when I came to the bed and I pulled myself into bed where she curled up to once more.

"Goodnight darling." I whispered.

"Goodnight Mommy," she said and drifted off.

One thing that I couldn't seem to get off my mind was Cain. Did I have feelings for him? Could this be??

The next morning was agonizingly long. It started early in the day with Annie having a horrendous nightmare that left her screaming and crying. It was so bad Cain heard it downstairs and come running up the staircase. We tried to calm her down but whatever she saw it dreamt about had to be pretty bad to shake her up that much.She was in Cain'a arms as he rocked her gently as he sat at the edge of the bed beside me.

"Angel it was just a dream," he said softly to her.

"It was so real though," she whimpered.

"We'll tell us about it, sweetie and maybe that will help," I said tenderly.

"No," she said sternly.

"Why not sweetie?" I asked.

"Because the lady won't let me," she stated.

When she said this Cain and I shared a horrified look with one another. What did she mean 'won't let' and what lady?

"Do you know this lady?" asked Cain.

"No but you guys will."

I think this statement scared us even more so we stopped asking her questions afraid of what she will say next.

It would be breakfast time soon anyways and we needed to get Annie ready and fed. Today Mrs. Lehman is going to watch her while the rest of us got to meet this mysterious Ring Leader'.

"Annie Mrs.Lehman is going to watch you while Daddy and I go meet some people okay?"

"Can I came," she asked sweetly.

"No honey. I am sorry but this is Mommy and Daddy business that you wouldn't like at all," I said rolling my eyes, which made her giggle.

Cain served her her cereal and than ran upstairs to get dressed for the big day ahead. He can back down when he was dressed in fresh cloths and told me to get dressed and he would watch Annie. Before I ran upstairs and pecked his cheek and whispered,"Thank You", into his ear.

Once in my room I searched through the cloths Mrs.Lehman gave us (so we weren't in scrubs) and found a a simple outfit that would still allow me to run (if needed).

An hour later we were leaving to met this 'Ring Leader' and was time to leave my precious Annie. We said our goodbyes to the Lehmans and Annie before heading off. I stole on more glance back before the large house disappeared into the horizon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We found the meeting area with ease but no one appeared to be there besides us.

"Perhaps they forgot," suggested Kent.

"Why would they forget they arranged it you goof," replied Jean.

"Good point."

A rustle in the field behind us made us all tense up and turn and there before us stood the 'Ring Leader' but he wasn't alone. The Ring Leader brought his crew too......

There was 7 of the most male and all of them Star-Faces.

"Hello," spoke one of the people brought by the Ring Leader.

"Who are you guys?"asked Kathleen.

"We like to call ourselves 'The Tribe' but really we are just rebels against the oppression of the Star-Faced," one of the girls said simple.

"Let us introduce ourselves," said the guy who stood at the front of the group," we all have changed our names to Cherokee ones that represent us. Mine is Chaitanya or Knowledge and this is my group."

He started on the left side of him and introduced them according to where they stood. "This is Bhavana or Sentiment. Next Balaaditya or Young Sun. Finally Avanish or King of Earth."

Than he turned his attention to the right side of his 'tribe'. "Here we have Chapal or Quick. Then Ekachatra or River. Finally Nirupama or Unique."

Jean stepped up and introduced us one by one until we were all introduced. I looked around the group and I noticed there wasn't just one but two Gold-Faces! The kid called Avanish and Nirupama both were had golden stars. I wonder if they have met other Gold-Faces to?

"To answer your question Lilith yes we have met other Gold-Faces but only Avanish and Nirupama have joined the rebellion," said Chaitanya simply and I just blinked in astonishment at him.

"Did you just...you know read my thoughts," I questioned. I don't know why it shocked me because I knew he had powers we all do but I guess it's one of those things you never get use to.

"Yes I did. I can read thoughts, see through illusions, and detect lies," he responded.

"Wow," my friends and I said amazed.

"So what do you guys want from us," asked James.

"We want you to join the rebellion," Chapal responded.

"But why us there are probably better candidates for leading a rebellion than us," Kent said with a chuckle.

"I doubt anyone could be better than 'Foretold One' from the ancient prophecies," Balaaditya said.

"The who," asked Jean for all of us.

"Her," Nirupama said and pointed to me. Every eye was on me now and I didn't know what to say but just stand there.

"So will you join us?"

"We will have to think about it I think. This is a big request," I responded.

"I will," Cain said, "they killed my family because of this. I say it's time for a change. You guys think about it! All the lives we would save and all the families that won't be destroyed if we succeed!"

"He has a point you guys. What do you say?" said James and Eric in unison (which was weird).

Everyone but me agreed so now all eyes were on me to hear my answer. I hesitated because I knew both of my options and neither of them where delightful ones. One way was joining the rebellion and possibly die, while the other flee the rest of my life and possibly die doing that too.

"I'm in," and everyone cheered at my answer. I figured one day I will die but might as well die fighting and worth something.

'The Resistance Tribe' (their name for themselves) want to move out tomorrow night so for today we will stay our last day at the Lehmans. Along the way we discover that they had amazing powers.

Avanish (one of the Gold-Faces) controlled earth, flies, and is a human chameleon. Balaaditya, who was a Silver-Face, controlled fire and electricity. Bhavana was a Bronze-face and reads emotions. Chapal was a Bronze-Face with super speed and could pass through solid objects and people when he wanted (he was the one who tried to kidnap Annie yesterday). Ekachatra anothe Bronze-Face controlled water and had an elastic body. Finally there was the quiet one, Nitupama ,the other Gold-Face, and her powers were draining energy, manipulates time, flies, and sees people's soul and spirit.

We got to the house and Annie came running up the door to Cain and I screaming "Mommy!Daddy!" Which made us laugh.

"Hey munchkin! I missed you," Cain said picking her up and twirling her around in a hug.

"Mommy! Mommy! I missed you," she said.

"I missed you to," I replied kissing her on the forehead.

Suddenly Annie stopped giggling and smiling as she looked at the Resistance Tribe.

"You brought the lady home," she whispered into my ear in a frightened tone.

"What lady?" I asked.

She didn't answer but just clung to Cain's neck tighter and started to whimper into his chest. We walked inside and I whispered to Cain to take her upstairs into my room and he obliged.

"Pardon my daughter she has had a bad morning today," I said to everyone.

"It's okay she is sweet," answered Ekachatra.

"So if you don't mind I think I will tend to her with my....um.....with Cain," I said quickly.

"Goodbye. Pleasure meeting you Lilith," Chaitanya called after me.

Something about that guy gave me the chills perhaps the fact the he is in my head all the time. I got up the stairs and could he Cain singing Annie a lullaby.

I walked in silently and found her cuddled up to him as he laid on one side of the bed. I climbed into the bed of the opposite side of her and saw she was drifting into the land of dreams.

"You know, I was surprised," he said after the lullaby finished.

"About?"

"My feelings for you...."

"I was to."

"You have feelings for me too?"

"Yes after you kissed my cheek the other night I have been able to get you out of my mind."

"Well I figured never know if you don't try," he chuckled.

"I am scared for Annie."

"Why?"

"You and I both know I might die soon. What will happen to this poor sweet girl's spirit if she looses another mom?"

"Don't worry I will never let anyone hurt you. Ever. Besides that is more reason to make everyday count" he said as he leaned over and kissed me softly.

I woke up with a strange feeling in the middle of the night, like someone was watching me. I cold breeze made me shiver and I turn and look to find my window was wide open. Did I leave it open last night? I don't think I did let alone ever touched the window.

I walk over to the window and closed it and put the lock in place, when the floorboards behind me squeaked informing me of another person present. I turn slowly but find no one there.

Cain mumbles something in his sleep on the bed with Annie silently sucking her thumb as she lays in dream land. Everything looked like it should except a frozen lily laying on my side of the bed. When did that get there?

"Quincey," I whispered tears starting to come down my face, "is that you?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*QUINCEY POV*

I heard her call my name in that sweet voice that made me come out of my hiding spot and run up to her and just hold her. But I was here on a mission not to visit. The others would be disappointed if I came back without the girl. She was the secret to it all.

I need to just hide out here until Lilith goes back to sleep. I knew I shouldn't have left that lily for her but I couldn't just appear here and not leave her something before she hates me for all eternity. I just wanted to give her something sweet before all hell breaks lose.

Eventually she cries herself to sleep and it breaks my heart to know I will cause even more tears to come by morning time comes and Lil sees what I have done. I carefully creep up to the bed and for some reason I am jealous of Cain in her bedroom even though I chose to leave, it still hurts.

The little girl is between them and makes it difficult to get to her without waking them up and alerting them of what was going on. Carefully I pick her up and I was surprised how deep in sleep she was.

As silently as I could I went to the window and unlocked it. On the other side stood Alex flying four stories up waiting for me. I hand him the child and climb down the vine on the side of the house but before I close the window once more and than join the others on the ground.

"Mission was a success," said the commander, "time to head back to base."

We disappeared into the night like shadows and headed back to where we had come from.

*LILITH POV*

I woke up and saw Annie gone but Cain still dead asleep. Annie must have gone down stairs to see why Mrs.Lehman was cooking for breakfast.

"Cain," I said shaking him lightly to wake him up. He groans but opens his eyes reluctantly and as soon as he saw me he was wide awake.

"Well good morning beautiful," he said with a smile making me turn red, "and where is our daughter?"

"I think she went downstairs with Mrs.Lehman."

"Is that so?"

"Yes."

He chuckled and got out of the bed and I went to do the same but a small puddle of water caught my attention. Was that all a dream or was that real last night, I question myself.

"You coming," Cain called to me bringing me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah. I am coming!"

We walked down the stairs hand in hand. Everyone was gathered around to large dining table that was lined with all different types of breakfast foods. An empty seat though caught my attention.

"Where is Annie?" I asked Mrs. Lehman.

"Why I thought she was with you," Mrs. Lehman responded.

"No," panic started to fill my very being, "has anyone seen my Annie today?"

Everyone shook there heads and I shot up the stairs frantically searching but she was no where! I screamed her name but it was only met with silence. I could hear the others looking for her too. I crumpled on the ground sobbing. Where could my baby be?

Cain came up to the top of stairs and found me crying. He ran over and pulled me into his lap and cradled me there.

"We'll find her don't worry," he said trying to reassure me though years streams down his face as well.

"What if we don't Cain?"

"We will. We have to," he insisted.

"I am scared and want her back."

"So do I. I just hope she is safe."

"Where could she be?" I practically screamed.

"I don't know."

We cried until no more tears came and silence resonated throughout the house. We knew no one found her and a hole seemed to fill my heart.

"Cain," I said softly.

"Yes," he said in a sad tone.

"I think Quincey took her. Last night a frozen lily was in the room and he is the only one who has ever done that. He took her," I said shaking with sadness and anger.

"Are you sure?" he asked.

"Yes but I don't know why he would take her," I said.

Jean came up to us, "you guys outside are several footprint on the side of the house but the disappear a ways out. We think she was kidnapped by another pack of Star-Faces."

"Can't we track them somehow?"

"Jaffra is working on trying to find their location based on the future and the Resistance Tribe is trying to help as well," she said.

"Thank you," Cain said.

"Come on you two. If we are going to find Annie we need to leave now. The footprints look like the head back into town. The Lehmans are giving us a van so we don't have to walk. Don't forget to cover your stars before we leave," she said as she got up and left.

"Ready to get packing so we can leave," Cain asked.

"Let's go get out daughter back, Cain. One way or another she is coming home," I said determined now. Annie needed me and I wasn't about to abandon her.

The van was packed with all of us in it. Nirupama and Jaffra worked together and found the location where Quincey took Annie but the only problem was we were out numbered.

"We need more people," Chipal said.

"How? Everyone who would join us already has," Avanish threw back.

"If only we had more power than we could go in but we don't. Their powers would destroy us in an instant," Bhavana said.

"I haven't discovered all of mine," I said looking at the ground, "I only discovered two of them. If I am who you guys think I am than I have more."

"You do have more," said Nirupama," many more I can sense it in you energy. I can help train you and help you develop your abilities."

"Okay thanks," was all I said.

"If she can find her other abilities than will we have more power," Cain asked. Just like me he was anxious to get Annie back.

"Yes," said Jaffra, "and I can see that she will. In two days time we will be headed for their base to rescue Annie."

This have me a flush of relief. Annie will only have to wait a little while longer before she is home again.

We pulled into a large driveway that led to an abandoned hotel. Everyone took a room once we were inside but Cain and I decided to take one together. Neither one of us felt it was safe to leave the others side until we got Annie back.

Once in the room I collapsed on the bed in tears. Cain pulled me towards him and just gently rubbed my arms in a soothing manner to relax me.

"Cain?"

"Yes my dear?"

"When we see Quincey again..."

"Yeah," he said growing concerned now.

"Please don't let him kill me. I don't want to die," I cried, "I don't want to leave Annie by herself without a mother."

"I would never let him hurt you. I promise," he said kissing away my tears.

I turned my head and kissed him on the lips. It was passionate and long but then someone knocked on the door.

"Lilith. Ready?" Nirupama's voice said on the other side of the door.

"Yeah," I turned and looked at Cain as I walked out the door wiping away the tears that stayed behind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nirupama was pushing me and hard because powers only are developed when they are needed.

"So we know you can teleport and heal but how about fly?" she asked as she lead me up some stairs.

Once we reached to top a door that lead to the roof was already open.

"So do you want me to jump off the roof to see if I can fly?" I asked panicked.

"Heavens no!" she laughed, "I brought you up here so you can experience what it feels up high."

"Oh," I said feeling silly.

"Now close your eyes," I obeyed her command and closed them.

"Feel the wind around you and imagine nothing under you. Picture someone floating above you holding Annie and threatening to drop her," every word she said I could picture in my head.

I imagined Quincey holding Annie but barely. She was slipping from his grasps before she fell. I open my eyes and Nirupama was still I front if me but something was different.

I looked down and saw the ground but it was no longer directly under my feet but instead several feet below me. I was in the air. I was flying!!

We didn't find many of my new powers after I learned how to fly. Apparently all Gold-Faces have been known to fly so it wasn't that special. Besides flying I learned nothing of my new powers. Perhaps Jaffra's vision was wrong. I prayed the only about my death was.

"It's okay," Nirupama said," they will come in time."

"Okay,"I said though it wasn't. Tomorrow we leave for the rescue and yet I still haven't figured out what my powers were. Not fully at least. I sighed I was exhausted so I returned to my room to sleep. Tomorrow Annie will be home, I kept telling myself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Quincey POV*

"Are you just going to sit there all day rookie?" Margret nagged at me.

"Nope," I said and stood up to face her," what do you need done?"

"Feed the children."

"Why can't you?"

"Because I told you to smart ass. Now go before I get Isaac."

I swear Margret gets on my last nerve sometime but I did as told because I didn't want to face Isaac. If anyone doesn't follow Isaac's orders they were punished.

I walked into the furthest room in the hall and opened it. Inside about 20 kids, ranging from 2 to 14 were chained to the wall. I hated coming into here because it was depressing. All these kids though were being groomed for the revolution coming.

Isaac takes these kids from their homes to train them to become soldiers for him. We didn't harm them instead we take good care of them. We feed them but we just can't have any of the escaping so we just lock them to the wall. They can move around but only 5 feet away from the wall.

I placed a pot of food every few feet for the kids to eat. They jump at it and stuff their faces full of food, all except one.

The girl I took last night from Lil refused to move from the ball she had curled into. She still whimpered and cried for her mom, which they all do when we take them. She'll grow out of it eventually.

"Eat," I said to her.

"No!"

"You are going to die if you don't."

"Then let me," she said and spat in my face.

I just got up and walked out the door. If she didn't eat than I would just let her die. I mean she was just was stupid child how important could she be to the prophecy?

*Lilith POV*

I hardly slept because of the anxiety building inside of me. Morning crept slowly up on me and I got up and got dressed. I completely forgot Cain was in the room until I heard him stir behind me.

"Lil what are you doing?" he asked groggily.

"Cain close your eyes for a minute please so I can finish getting dressed," I asked embarrassed.

"Oh my bad," he closed his eyes again and fell back against the pillows.

"All done."

"Good. So I can look again right?"

"Yep. I am going downstairs to see if everyone is ready okay?"

"Okay," I heard him call after me as I left the room.

In the lobby everyone was making plans for the mission ahead.Butterflies creeped in my stomach informing of my already know nervousness of this mission.

Once Cain came down we loaded up the cars and headed to the outskirts of town in the opposite side of town. The streets were silent and we searched for an old factory mill. That'a where Jaffra saw us headed and finding Annie.Eventually we found it hidden behind trees and bushes from the plain eye.

"This is it? This is where they have my daughter?" Cain said almost jumping off his seat.

"Calm down brother," Kent said grabbing ahold of his shoulder," we must stick to the plan."

We exited the car silently and snuck to the back door. Just like in Jaffra's vision it was unlocked but Jaffra couldn't see what happened after that so we were all on edge. I grabbed Cain's hand behind me because I was scared and nervous. I may have powers but I am still human and get scared just like everyone else.

Chaitanya turn to us face full of fear and terror. "What is it," Bhavana asked in a whisper in concern.

"They are prepared for us," he said softly.

"I'll just drain their powers," Nirupama said confidently," then we can have the upper hand."

Chaitanya just shook his head looking even more full of fear. "You can't it won't work," he said visibly shaking.

"What do you mean it won't work! Do you doubt my strength or power?" she said quietly yelling at him so people on the other side won't hear.

"No I don't doubt you it's just...."

"Just what," it was me this time growing concerned.

"They have Plain-Faces fighting with them," he said.

Every jaw dropped to the ground. Plain-Faces!!

"And not just any kind of Plain-Faces young ones too. What I can tell from their minds is that they have been kidnapped and trained for this. They have guns and they won't hesitate to shoot us," he said obvious with his distaste for it.

"What do we do know?" Kent asked.

"We fight with all our power and don't give up," James said.

"Nirupama can you drain the energy from the ones you can," Eric advised her and she nodded her head, "everyone do your best to be safe but remember these aren't children but killing machines."

We all took a deep breath in and energy built inside of all of us, ready to fight to the death. Chaitanya opened the door and we enter into the building.

We are met though by a wall of young children and the second they saw us all hell broke loose.

We rushed in to find guns pointed at us. I can't remember who made the first move but everything got crazy. Balaaditya threw flames and electricity at the gun holders, bullets flew by our heads and bodies barely missing us, and everyone was using their powers to get the upper hand.

Jean stopped bullets and sent them back flying the direction they came. Kids fell to the ground as red pools surrounded and seeped from them. Eric fell and so did Ekatchata but they still moved on the ground letting us know they were still alive.

Chapal came up to me and picked me up. "Ready to find Annie?" he asked but he didn't wait for my response before shooting off at lightening speed.

The breath was taken out of me and I felt as if I was flying through the air. That is until we stopped suddenly. We reached the end of a long hallway and on the left side was a door.

"Annie is in there," he said not even breathing hard.

"How do you know?"

"Jaffra told me once the fight starts to run you back here because you would find Annie inside that door. I have to go though Chaitanya just sent me a message mentally. By the sounds of it you won't have long before we fall back so hurry," he said and than vanished from his spot.

I open the door and find not only Annie but dozens of other children chained to the wall. My heart sank as I rushed to her side. She was so thin and looked so fragile while she slept in the most uncomfortable looking position.

"Annie? Mommy is here sweetly wake up," I said softly pushing hair our of her face.

"Mommy?" she said in a tiny voice.

"Yes it's me sweetly," I said and began looking around. On the far wall was a release lever to the chains I think. I ran to it and pulled it and ever chain I every child released. Many children ran up to me to thank me and others were crying in happiness.

I ran to Annie a picked her up an cradled her in my arms. "Come on kids," I said to all of them some almost my age," let'a get out of this hell hole."

We walked into the hall and we began to run. "Hurry we don't have much time!" I shouted to them.

Once we returned to the scene of the battle I stop dead in my tracks and tears stream down my face as anger begins to boil.

I am met by Quincey and at his feet laid Jean's body, which seemed to be lifeless. I handed Annie to one of the older children and told the to get outside and hide someplace until I come get them. The children ran outside and disappeared into the daylight, so I faced Quincey full of rage.

I am now determined to kill him for Jean. Thing just got personal!

I could feel heat resonating from my body but I didn't care, all I cared about was getting revenge.

"How could you!! She was your friends, Quincey," I screamed at him but he just smirked.

"You really think I cared about her or any of them! No you see I joined their little 'group' to meet you," he said pointing at me laughing.

"Why? Why me!"

"You seriously are that dumb?!"

"I am not dumb," I spat.

"Oh yes you are my love," he said chuckling coldly.

"I am not your 'love' you monster!"

"I could give you everything, Lil. Just join me. Join us! We can make you a ruler of the world. Think about it. You the all powerful queen and me, your king," he said with a wicked cold grin.

"Never! I hate you Quincey. I am going to kill you!"

"Oh that's where you're wrong. Wasn't it Jaffra who saw me killing you?"

I could no longer stand it I lunged at him. My fist flew against his face and a sickening crunch of my own had erupted. Agony beyond belief filled my mind and hand.

"Oh did I forget to mention," he said innocently, "one power none of you knew was I am indestructible. My bones are made of steel. So I am impossible to kill."

He walked to me and bent next to me where I sat in a agonizing heap. I moved to stand up when he kicked my right leg and another sickening crunching noise came from it. I cried out in agony and crumpled back into a heap in the ground but he just laughed as if this was the funniest thing he ever witnessed. He grabbed me hair roughly, pulled a knife out of his back pocket, and put it against my throat.

"I really was hoping you would reconsider. Last chance before it's all over."

"I hope you die a horrible death," I said through my clenched teeth.

"Then I must have one last kiss," he grabbed my face and placed his lips to mine. Unlike the last kisses we shared this one was bitter and made me want to vomit. I try to fight it but he just grips my face harder.

Once he stopped I spit right in his face.

"What a shame," he said bitterly," Lil we could have had it all. Why are you giving it up?"

"Because I hate you!"

"Do you even know what you could have done? Or the prophecy that won't come true now all because of your stupid choice," he said hard.

"I don't care what some prophecy says about me. I am my own person!"

He quickly moved his arm across my throat with the ice cold blade pressing against my skin.A sharp pain followed the quick motion of the blade and I felt as if I was drowning. I saw Quincey standing above me smiling and a pool of my own blood pour from my wound.

"Tell everyone I say hi," he laughed, "oh and the vision Jaffra saw was wrong. I am not crying because I am sad but because I am laughing so hard. I guess the people with the greatest power are also the weakest," he said before kicking me in the gut.

I felt no more pain though and slowly my vision goes black but before I fell into blackness I saw bolts of lightning hit Quincey and him scream out in plain.

Not so indestructible now are you Quincey, my mind said. The blast must of come from Balaaditya and then I heard someone calling my name. Arms grab me and turn me toward their owner, who was Cain. Tears streamed down his face, "No no no no! Please Lil don't die please," he said as he tried to heal me but it was to late I could feel myself slipping away. Slipping into a tunnel of darkness.

I fell into a black tunnel and at the end a bright white light resonated from it. Every step I took towards the light echoed off the tunnel wall until I finally reached the end.

Jean, Eric, Kent, Ekachatra, Bhavanna and Kathleen all stood at the edge of the light with a man I have never seen before.

"Hello Lilith, my dear child, you have a big task at hand," he said kindly with a face was kind and gentle as his words and his completion fair, "return now my children."

"But how we are all dead," Kathleen said sadly.

"That is where you are wrong. This is where you choose to stay or go. If you stay you will never return to the living world so this is your only chance. Your choice now decides yours and others destiny," he said.

"Why us though," I asked, "why do we get to choose?"

"That is a simple one. I have big plans for each of you but you have to accept them and want them. I just merely set them up."

"Why have you given us powers," asked Avanish.

"Because I saw my children destroying another and falling into temptations and evil. I chose you to lead them into peace and harmony. But I must warn you now, your hardships are only just beginning. Worst is to come if you chose to return and you will all be put to the test. The challenges will grow harder but don't fall for evil because you are my chosen ones. You are my hope," he said firmly.

"Who are you," Jean asked finally speaking up.

"I am known by many names but commonly known as The Father," he said mysteriously.

"You must chose now and chose wisely my children," he said as he began to walk into the light,"remember I am watching over you and we will meet again soon."

He faded into the light and left us to decide. "We have to go back," I said breaking the ice. Everyone agreed but the problem was we didn't know how to return.

"Well if this way leads to heaven than the other way must lead back home," Kent said trying to use logic. We all intertwined our hands so we wouldn't separate. The further we walked down the tunnel though the force against us grew. Eventually it forced us apart and I was left alone. I continued to walk and than I began to feel sleepy.

At first it was light but it grew and grew until it nearly consumed me. Finally giving into the temptation I laid on the ground and closed me eyes.

My eyes fluttered open and Cain stood above me again balling on Chaitanya's shoulder. My hand and leg still hurt with extreme pain but my throat no longer bled or felt pain. Using my good hand I felt it and nothing but a scar was left there.

"Cain?" I said hoarsely an at the sound of his name he turned astonished.

"Oh my goodness!" he exclaimed as he ran to my side. " I can't believe it! Your alive! I am so sorry I wasn't there to protect you," he said crying even harder.

"It's okay. I am okay, we'll besides the broken hand and leg."

"Here I can fix those," he wiped the tears and placed his hands first over my injured hand. I could feel the flow of power leave his body and into my hand and with a bright flash of light it was healed. Good as new. He repeated this with my leg that was at an awkward angle.

"Is Annie okay?" I asked.

"Yes she is fine. It's all over Lil," he said," the kids surrendered and the ones you rescued are helping clean up the mess."

"I am so happy to see you," I said and wrapped my arms around his neck. This time it was me crying over him.

"Me too," he said.

After we parted from our hug we looked each other in the eyes. He leaned in and kissed me at first softly but it grew more passionate and deep the longer we kissed. I never wanted it to end until a small voice broke us apart.

"Mommy! Daddy! I knew you would save me," little Annie came running up to us.

"We always will," Cain said and smiled.

This moment I took a mental note not to forget. Though blood and dead bodies surrounded us this moment was so full of happiness and bliss I didn't want to forget it.

I looked around and saw the other who were in the tunnel, Jean, Eric, Kent, Ekachatra, Bhavanna and Kathleen, come back to life one by one and I knew this was the start of something new. This was not just the start of a revolution but also our new lives.

Cain and I went around healing the people who were injured, Cain caring for those with minor injuries and me caring for those with severe injuries. Nirupama was hurt pretty bad when I saw her. She was shot about 5 times in various places on her body,from chest to foot, and looked like she had been crushed with the way her arms and legs laid. She was barely awake and was fading fast. Luckily Cain and finished healing everyone else and came to help me by healing her broken bones.

We worked on her has fast as we could because she still bled from her wounds. If she didn't die from he injuries she could die from blood loss, I told myself. I healed the last bullet wound and Cain finished with her bones but she still looked pale and barely conscious.

She muttered something but we couldn't make out what. Slowly color returned to her cheeks and she became more awake and attentive. "What are all y'all staring at," she said making us all laugh.

At the end of the day though everyone mourned the lives that were taken from us. The children I saved had returned to help us and about 5 lost their lives trying to. The other side lost about 15 people and unfortunately all of them were Plain-Face children doing as they were told and it made this whole situation even more tragic. Something though sent chills down my spine when I looked around on the ground and at the kids who surrendered. Not one of the was a Star-Face. Not even Quincey was to be found.

We searched the perimeter of the building and every room and corner, no Star-Face or Quincey anywhere.

"Where did they got?" Jean asked.

"Perhaps Isaac and Alex took them away," said a small boy who I healed from bullet wounds.

"Who are they sweetie," I asked softly at them.

"They are the leaders. They have stars like you but they aren't nice at all like you guys," he said pointing to my star.

We all shared a nervous glance at one another and knew this fight wasn't over yet. We lead the kids to the van and realized we had no where near enough room for everyone. We had an additional 28 bodies besides our to care for now.

"How about the old abandoned hotel," asked Eric, "we would all fit there. Just take a few trips back and forth to get everyone there."

"That's a great idea," Chaitanya said.

We made a plan to split up but leave at least one Star-Face with each group of children to ensure no one hurt them. The first group would have Nirupama, second group Jaffra and Eric, and so on.

Eventually it was Cain and I left with the last 10 kids and we awaited for James to drive back and get us.

"So what happened to you back there," he asked. "I was sure you had moved on because your heart stopped beating and then when I thought I had truly thought you were gone, I look back and your alive as ever and no longer bleeding or had a slit throat."

"I realized I wasn't ready to go and I couldn't leave you or Annie quite yet," I replied simply.

"And the others? They all died to but they came back."

"I guess they decided to do the same as me. They just weren't ready to move on from this life quite yet."

A honking of a car horn informed us James was awaiting us at the road. "Kids come in time to go," Cain shouted to the children playing in the field.

It surprises me how these kids could be bragged through hell and back and still play, laugh, and smile. We climbed into the van and everyone was practically sitting on one another.Annie sat on my lap and curled against my shoulder to sleep.

The drive wasn't that long and it seemed like the shortest amount of time before we arrived. The kids all jumped out and ran inside to claim their rooms and than go and play some more.

"Do you think they will be okay?" I whispered to Cain. "They have been through a lot."

"They'll be fine. They are young and have a lot to look forward to in life," he said back.

We entered the hotel and it was full of life and laughs from the children running up and down the stairs. The children that surrendered were among them and actually smiled. We struck a deal with them that if they fully surrendered and didn't kill us we would let them go home or join us and we would care for them and treat them like people, not animals, which many stayed.

Cain, Annie, and I all decided to stay in the same room. "I'm going to shower," I told them as I grabbed some cloths that I packed and had left in the car.

After the shower I returned to the room but Cain and Annie weren't there. I figured they we in the back of the hotel walking down paths and chasing butterflies (which Annie loved to do). A white paper caught my eye though so I walked over and picked it up. In nice writing, similar to calligraphy style, was a message:

This has just began. I will have you! -Q

This sent chills down my spine but I just crumpled the note and tossed it across the room. Today I am alive and well, so I am happy and won't let him ruin my day.

I searched for Cain and Annie right after I threw the note into the corner. Someone said the had seen them in the garden and I raced to find them. I heard Annie giggling as I approached so I slowed down my paced and found Cain and her playing in a bunch of flowers. Annie spotted me first and came running down with an armful of flowers.

"Look Mommy! I found all of these," she said with a smile ear to ear.

"Good job," I kissed the top of her head and she kissed my cheek gently.

Cain came behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist from behind and I leaned into his gentle touch. I didn't care about anything else at that moment except Cain.

"Perhaps Jean can take care of Annie for a little bit so we can talk," he whispered into my ear, " I want show you something special."

"Okay," I replied turning red.

We walked hand in hand back to the hotel and as we walked the younger kids oohed and made kissing noises as we passed. We just kept walking turning red with Annie trailing behind us. We found Jean with the others discussing what we needed to do to stay alive.

"Where have you two been?" questioned James.

"They've been sucking face," Kent said making kissing noises like the little kids.

"We need you to help us figure out how we are going to stay alive," Kathleen said.

"How about we just take a break today? We barely survived today. We can worry about this tomorrow but let's just be happy that we have this moment and not waste it," I said.

The others nodded their head because they knew I was right. Why concern ourselves right now about things that would make us unhappy rather than celebrate this new opportunity to live once more?

I turned to Jean, " Mind watching Annie for a little while?"

"Oh course not! Come to Auntie Jean!!" she said holding her arms open while Annie jumped into the them.

"Bye Mommy and Daddy," she said as she shook her little fist.

I grabbed Cain's hand and he pulled me toward the back door. Once we left out the back he pulled me into him so he could wrap his around my waist. We walked towards the forest and disappeared behind the trees.

"Where are we going?" I asked him.

Just then we broke into a meadow that was hidden from the world. It was so beautiful in the setting sun lining the trees with colorful flames or sunlight that had the clouds turning pink. Patches of flowers grew throughout the meadow and fireflies light the dimming sky.

"Like it?" he said.

"It's beautiful! How did you find this place?" I asked.

"Chapal took a run and told me about it so I decided to find it and thought I should bring you here," he said his voice slightly shaking, "because I want everything to be perfect."

"Perfect for what?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Close your eyes," I reluctantly obeyed his request and heard rustling, "open them."

At first I didn't see him until I looked down where he was kneeling on one knee. I gasped covering my mouth and tears flooded my eyes.

"I know we are young but times aren't like they use to. I know we just met to and I realized I can't be without you. Lilith," he said pulling a box he opened revealing a small ring with diamonds placed inside the band," will you marry me?"

I hesitated and I was practically balling with happiness, "Yes!! I will!" I screamed and threw my arms around him. He picked me up and twirled me around in his arms. He set me down and grabbed my hand. Gently he placed the ring on my ring finger and than kissed my hand.

We laid down on a patch of grass and I curled up against him, placing my head on his chest, and listened to his heart beat. I was now engaged to the most amazing guy ever and though are future was rocky and uncertain this moment gave me hope. Hope that we would live happily after we make it through this hard time.

Too bad this was our last true happy moment together before all hell breaks loose around us.

Dear Lilith,

I use to dream of the days in life that use to be perfect. My dad dressing up as Santa Clause for Christmas or my siblings pestering me in the morning. I use to think life was easy and have every minute if my life planned out, everything was perfect. So what went wrong? Fate...

Some call in fate and others reality but whatever it was that changed my life from perfect to hell I don't regret. You probably think I am crazy but that's what lead me to you and your father. If it wasn't for the mess we are about to go through I probably wouldn't have fallen in love and had a beautiful daughter.

Right now you are 2 but when you read this you'll be all grown up and about to take a big step in life. I decided to write these in case I don't make it though this alive you will still have me. You have that spark of life in you don't loose that because you'll need it in this world. Remember just because someone tells you your fate doesn't mean you can do anything about it. I was destined to die young of cancer but you can choose your future. I'll be by your side no matter what.

You are my perfect ray of sunshine in this horrible Earth and I am proud of you no matter what your choices are.

Love, Mom

I clutched the letter to my heart and tears streamed down my face. My real mother passed away when I was 6 but before she left she gave a pile of letters she had been writing since I was little for every special day if my life. When I broke out of the prison they kept us locked up in for something we can't change and I teleported us to my house I grabbed them because it was the only thing I had left if her.

Today was a big day and I found that one letter marker for this occasion: On Your Wedding Day, the envelope said. I felt I could barely breath I was so nervous. Cain and I can't have a normal wedding with family and friends (since we have powers and a star on our face) so it is a very informal wedding. I wore my best dress (which luckily was white) and he was to wear his best outfit. Nirupama was marrying us in a few minutes. Jean ,my maid of honor and best friend, rushed to my side to walk me down the aisle and wiped tears away from my eyes.

"This is a happy day silly not a sad one! So put on a smile your about to get married!!" she said all joyful making me laugh and smile," see there we go."

The music from the other side of the door started to play and butterflies filled my stomach. So many worries went through my mind that instant. Why if this was a mistake? What if he doesn't really want this? We are young so how do we know it's love?

The doors open in front of me and I pulled a veil, that we found in one of the rooms, over my face, took a deep breath, and took that first step to my new future. I looked up and Cain looked at me like he was a blind man seeing the sun for the first time, which made all my worries vanish. I may only be 15 but this must be love and if it wasn't I don't know what is.

I reach where he is standing and Jean places my hand in his. "You look beautiful," he whispered into my ear as Nirupama said the traditional speech heard at weddings. I was so captivated by Cain though with his shaggy blonde hair that fell just right on his perfectly sculpted face. His eyes were as green as the meadow he proposed to me in and even that scar on his face adds to his perfection. I was so enchanted by him I almost forgot how to speak when Nirmapama asked me if I took Cain as my husband. We said our 'I do' to each other and than we repeated after her.

"I, Lilith, take you Cain to have and to hold in sickness and in health or for richer and poor," I stumbled to say as I place his wedding band on his finger.

"And I, Cain, also take you Lilith to have and to hold in sickness and in health or for richer and poor," he said smiling from ear to ear slipping on my new wedding band in my ring finger.

"I pronounce you husband and wife!" she said happily, "you may kiss the bride!!"

Cain leans in and kisses me long and passionately on the lips before taking my hand and turning to the crowd of our friends and children we rescued.

We smiled first to the crowd an than at each other and our adopted daughter came running up happily giggling. It's time to start my new life and new family with the man of dreams.

Unfortunately though I have a feeling this was the last happy moment we will see in a long time.....