The Exiled Prince | Teen Ink

The Exiled Prince

By Loser, Kolkata, Other
Loser, Kolkata, Other

There was a knock in the metal door. Reize groaned, getting up from his bed lazily. What the hell was going on? It was dawn! Who would disturb a prince at this hour? Reize walked up to the door lazily, not bothering to put on some proper clothing. He opened it, with narrowed eyes. Well, he’d got the answer to his question. A prince, of course. It was Feldren, the crowned prince, Reize’s elder.
Reize sighed, ‘what, at this point of time, do you need brother?’
Feldren was dressed in a leather armour. The one used by rangers. Feldren grunted, ‘Reize, what a pain!’ He turned his head, ‘You forgot again, didn’t you? We were supposed to go hunting!’
Reize stuck out his tongue in shame, ‘Oh, pardon me Feldren. I’ll get ready...’ he whispered, ‘In an hour or so.’
Feldren gasped, ‘NO! We’ll be late. I shall be giving you ten of my minuites. Get into your armour, get your bow and a few arrows, and let’s set out, for the Ervinwoods.’
Reize shut close the door. The voice of his brother sustained, ‘Ten minuites, Reize…’
Reize quickly slid into his green and black leather suit, he had made, and pulled a hood up his scarlet black hair. Reize got a hold of his trusty longsword and opened the door.
Feldren smiled, ‘Why the longsword, may I ask?’
Reize said as he crossed his brother, leading him, ‘I am not the ranged type, you know that.’
Feldren argued, ‘But you can’t hunt anything with that sword of yours, can you?’
Reize gazed at Feldren over his shoulder, ‘I won’t be doing such things, anyway. I am just taking the thing for safety. You never know when we can be ambushed by barbarians!’
Feldren said, ‘There aren’t any barbarians in the Ervinwoods! There is a tribe, but they live far from where we are headed.’

***

Reize crouched behind his brother who aimed for a deer. Feldren had his left eye closed for perfection in aim. He let go off the arrow, as it flew through the air, straight hitting the tree beside the deer. The animal got a look at Feldren before it leaped to evade them. It was then, that a score of arrows flew its way, hitting it at several places, before it fell. The brothers turned. It was a woman, about Dolbain’s age. She wore a reddish black robe, with the symbols of serpents throughout. Her hair was crimson red, matching her eyes. Reize gulped in fear. No barbarians, eh?
His left hand reached out for his sword slowly. The woman said, ‘Worry, not. I am not your enemy. At least, not for now.’
Reize said, ‘Perhaps an introduction would put things in order. I am Reize Fyrneil, younger prince of Baursberg.’
Feldren said, ‘I am Feldren Xylever Fyrneil, crowned prince of Baursberg.’
The woman said, ‘I am Garvelin. I am afraid, I cannot say much more than that.’
Reize shrugged, ‘Suit yourself. Just don’t… frighten us that way.’
Garvelin said, ‘Well, I should be going now.’ She walked up to the deer, and placed her arm upon it. The deer vanished, out of thin air. Reize gulped. The woman walked away slowly.
Reize stood up, ‘Feldren, this is not good. What Garvelin used was dark magic. She absorbed a living being into her mana.’
Feldren agreed, ‘Yes. Let’s follow her.’
Reize nodded, as he led his brother. Garvelin was luckily, not out of their sight. They sped up, a bit, to get a closer look. They soon reached a cave, into which the woman got in. There was an old man as well there.
The man coughed, ‘Garvelin, I won’t be able to sustain much longer. I am nearing my limits, here.’
Garvelin shouted, ‘Shut up, grandfather! I have had enough of this. I understand the position your health is in, but don’t say such bad things.’
The man said, ‘Even if I don’t die from this, I will not be able to keep up with you. The necromancers will soon find us. Or maybe even the Baursbergians, or maybe the Dralish.’
Laura said as she sat down upon a rock, ‘I disagree. The necromancers are certainly on our tail, but you know who I am. I mean… you get the idea. And then, the Baursbergians do not know what approaches. And very few of the Dralish will know about us.’
Reize whispered, ‘We’re onto something here.’
Feldren sneezed. Garvelin quickly turned towards him. Reize gasped, ‘Run!’
They did. A sudden barrier made up of blackish red mana shot up blocking their paths. The two stopped, turning to Garvelin who held a black staff with a dragon head at top.
Reize drew his longsword quickly. Feldren sighed taking up his bow. He said, ‘Darn… I’m not used to this; needed a longsword and a kite shield.’
Garvelin pointed the staff towards them as a bolt of dark mana emitted from the top. Reize said, ‘You’re outnumbered. Give up.’
Garvelin shot the bolt towards them. Reize dodged it dashing up to Garvelin. He slashed at her, only to be blocked by the staff. Dark mana surrounded them. An arrow flew towards Garvelin. Feldren grinned as it hit her left shoulder. A few drops of blood fell, along with the staff. The barrier faded away.
The brothers eloped the area taking the advantage of time.
Reize said, ‘Feldren, we must inform father about this. The woman has no good intentions.’
Feldren argued, ‘No, we should not tell father right now. Let us look farther into it. We’ll take a few knights, and return to the forest to search for evidence about who she was. THEN, we’ll tell father. We should show some authority, or else he’ll think us as good-for-nothings who just make an old man do all the job.’
Reize agreed, ‘Fine. It will be a lot more exciting that way as well. I just hope we don’t cause trouble that way.’
They were soon out of the sight of Garvelin, but they ceased not running as fast as they could.

***

Reize and Feldren led a unit full of knights. Feldren was armed this time, with a heavy steel shield and a longsword. Reize pushed away a branch which was in his way. They had reached the cave again. Reize’s jaw dropped. It was empty! Garvelin has gone away! She must have expected Reize to return!
One of the knights protested, ‘Hey! Just because you are princes, doesn’t mean we have to play stupid games with you all.’
Feldren argued, ‘They have eluded. They must have anticipated us. I suggest we go deeper in the forest.’
Another knight headed up, ‘And be killed by the vicious animals in there? Not me.’
Reize raised his hands, ‘Look, sire, we need your help. This matter is important. They are a threat to Baursberg according to what we heard. We cannot take any chances in the matter. We must find out what is this all about.’
The knight said, ‘Look, if it really IS that important, then shouldn’t we inform the king about it first?’
Feldren stepped in, ‘No! You know the condition he is in. He is already in a lot of tension from the economic condition of Baursberg. Would you want him to take up more trouble in his mind?’
There was a dark mana that contaminated the air soon. The men moved closer. Reize placed his hand in his sword handle slowly pulling it out of his back sheath. He said, ‘Draw your swords men. Something is not right.’
A quick movement came in the air hitting Feldren’s shield. Feldren bashed at it. He gasped, ‘Undead?’ A skeleton lay in the ground trying to recover. Reize gazed at the bushes. There was a dozen of yellow glowing eyes. Soon, got revealed a score of undead skeletons.
Reize dashed up to them slashing at them. The knights followed. Reize hit them with his pummel. There was no use trying to slash through bones. Reize kicked at them shattering a few bones. Looks like these were pretty old bodies.
Reize said, ‘There has to be a necromancer nearby, who controls these. There is not use trying to defeat these undead. We must kill the source first.’
One of the knights said, ‘you are right, your grandeur. We will handle these minions. You should go after the main.’
Reize nodded as he closed his eyes. He placed his index on his forehead. Red mana soon surrounded his feet. Reize dashed towards a tree. He kept on running vertically up the tree. This was a difficult technique, but Reize was no amateur. He soon reached the top branch. He located dark mana surrounding a small area nearby. He shouted down to Feldren, ‘Brother, follow me.’ He did.
Reize dashed jumping from branch to branch. Finally he jumped down in front of the main enemy. It was a necromancer. The pure white skinned man wore a black robe with a red trim, and had five armoured undead surrounding him. He grinned gesturing Reize to come.
Reize dashed up to him dodging the blows of the minions. Feldren took up the underlings while Reize slashed up at the necromancer. His sword smoothly cut through a fine layer of leather, and then through the flesh of the necromancer. A few drops of black blood fell down as the necromancer shot a bolt of dark mana towards Reize. Reize grinned as he quickly slashed through it dispelling it. He continued coming at the necromancer, until finally he pierced his blade straight through its heart. Blood gushed out as it fell along with the skeletons.
Feldren protested, ‘Reize… you fool!’
Reize turned around withdrawing his sword. He shrugged, ‘Eh… why?’
Feldren clipped on his sword to his back, and sheathed his longsword to his waist. He sighed, ‘We could have interrogated the necromancer. He may have even revealed what they were after.’
Reize bit his lips, ‘Oops. I got a little aggressive. No matter. We can find another, can’t we?’
Feldren shook his head, ‘Not now, Reize. We shall return to Baursberg now. Dusk is soon. We shan’t risk to spend a minuite in here after the twilight disappears. It might cost us our lives. These Necromancers are said to be stronger in night time. They are said to be five times more deadly in the absence of light. Kind of common sense, isn’t it? Let’s go.’
Reize argued, ‘But we can’t just leave Baursberg in risk, can we?’
Feldren sighed, ‘By being here, we won’t be reducing that risk anyway.’
Reize queried, ‘So, what’s the plan then?’
Feldren turned around leading him, ‘We are going to inform father about the happenings. His tension can no longer be avoided in this situation. He will have to deal with it.’
Reize said, ‘So, will we return again after informing him. Will we bring out an army this time?’
Feldren shook his head, ‘No. We will wait and see what happens next. We should not take unnecessary steps.’
Reize agreed, ‘Very well. But I have a suggestion, if you don’t mind.’
Feldren said, ‘Go ahead.’
Reize explained, ‘You just said no unnecessary steps are needed. So, why not try avoiding father right now?’
Feldren said, ‘No, we should tell him. It is true, that probably he’ll act foolishly, but what other option do we have? We can’t risk Baursberg’s safety.’
Reize said, ‘I know. I suggest we tell mother about it. She will no way act worse than father. In fact, she will even be able to tell us more about these Necromancers. When we know our enemy, should we not study a bit about them too? And we can even get to know who these are. After all, very few sorcerers use dark arts.’
Feldren sighed, ‘You have a point, here Reize.’ He smiled, ‘I wonder. Maybe sometime, you’ll even surpass my wisdom.’
Reize chuckled, ‘I already have, Brother. I already have.’
Feldren whispered, ‘You wish.’
‘HEY!’ Reize objected, still chuckling.

***

Angeline Fyrneil, was the mother of the two who sat in front of her, starting to tell her about the happenings. She was one of the world’s greatest sorceresses. Her name was said to be forged in the Legend of Fernmark within ten years of her birth. Child prodigy was her first identity, followed by Youngest Mage Graduate, then, The First Enchanter of the City of Sorcery, and finally The Sorceress of Fernmark.
Reize’s mother said, ‘Tell me, Reize. Delaying in it will not lead to the advantage of any of us.’
Reize nodded, ‘Very well, mother. It all started in dawn. Feldren and I had left for the forest, for hunting. It was then that we faced a lady who was dressed in an eerie robe. She was excellently skilled in both archery and magic. But not just any magic; it was a Dark Art. She absorbed the body of a deer into her mana. We followed her and went up to a cave and overheard her talking with her grandfather about being in danger, and all. She saw us, and attacked us. We eluded, only to return with a unit of knights. When we reached the cave, she was gone. And then, we found us surrounded by undead. The knights handled them, while Feldren and I handled the necromancer who controlled them.’
Angeline gasped, ‘Wow, that’s a lot of incidents. Okay, let me see. The lady…’
Feldren interrupted, ‘She called herself Garvelin.’
Angeline continued, ‘This Garvelin was a necromancer as well, no doubt. But still, hearing what you say, she may not be allies with the second necromancer. If she were, she would not mention about being in danger and all. Anyways… let’s just wait, until something else happens. Reize, you keep an eye out and keep surveying the people if they found anything suspicious.’

***

Reize exclaimed, ‘WHAT?’
He couldn’t believe his ears. Twelve horses from the royal stable gone missing? How could that happen? Garlon was a skilled and experienced guard. Never before had this happened. How come thieves had gotten this skilled?
The stable master said, ‘Well, it is true. It was yesterday night…’
Reize said, ‘I understand Garlon.’

***

There was an almost eternal darkness in the air. Garlon snored leaning his back in the stone wall. It was then that a sudden thump appeared, shaking the ground for a few seconds. Garlon’s eyes opened, as he sprang up from his position. His mouth opened up in shock.
The white horses were gone! He dashed out of the room entering the next one. No! The browns, were gone as well. He rushed out of the stable. The darkness allowed not much to be seen. Garlon gasped. He could hear a series of horses trotting. They were going farer and farer.
Garlon got a hold of a torch from his quarter and started towards the horses. They were going out of his horizon. Not much of it could be made out. There was a figure seated upon the leading horse. It was a woman.

***

Reize slammed the wall beside him, ‘YES! I knew it! It was Garvelin?’
Garlon said, ‘Gar-who?’
Reize, ‘Gar-velin. I’ll tell you later about it, if I find it necessary. You sir, have done a magnificent job!’

***

Reize blabbered it all out to Feldren who sat with his back towards Reize, gazing out at the lawns. Their mother sat beside Feldren, with a tea cup in her hand. Feldren’s room had a warm cosy atmosphere about it, such that most family discussions took place in there, whether or not Feldren was present.
Feldren turned towards him anxiously, ‘So, do you think she took those horses to absorb them into her mana? To get more energy? You know, like what she did with that deer?’
Reize shook his head, ‘Not really, Feldren. I believe she had taken the horses with herself to help the necromancers. She must have thought about giving each of them one of the horses. That way they could speed up, and do what they want to do faster.’
Feldren nodded, ‘Maybe you’re right.’
Angeline shook her head, ‘No. Remember what I mentioned before? It is not necessary that she be an ally of the necromancers.’
Reize sighed, ‘Fine, then why don’t you search for some OTHER theory?’
His mother said, ‘I already have. I believe Garvelin was originated from the group of the necromancers, but somehow, changed her loyalty.’
Feldren interrupted, ‘I have another theory myself.’ The two turned towards him, ‘Maybe there IS no group of necromancers. Maybe there was only one.’
Angeline argued, ‘No, that is not possible. Let me give you two some information about Necromancers. Necromancy, is a kind of magic most people fear. It is not taught in the City of Sorcery, just like Holy magic, though being its opposite. It is BANNED in Fernmark. Therefore, these people are from some other continent. Necromancy is used in some parts of the Ervinwood forest by werewolves, in a quarter of Tresten, in Lorem, and in the Teserdian Mainland. Obviously, as you said, it was a woman, not a creature. So, they are Lorish, Teserdian or Trestan. Either way, it is quite obvious that they would NOT be coming alone.’
Reize nodded, ‘So, what is the plan now?’
Both looked at Feldren expecting some of his strategies to be exhibited in the matter. He smiled finding his authority even in the presence of his mother. He was perhaps the best ruler that Baursberg would ever have. He was trained to be so from birth. Though he was fairly good in combat, politics had been his main skill.
Feldren said, ‘It is quite simple. We will station squires thoroughly throughout the streets, to keep a monitoring eye about. Reize, and I will be scouting in the forest to search for Garvelin. And mother, you will try to keep father from getting to know about this.’
Reize said, ‘in the forest, again?’
Feldren nodded, ‘Yes, but this time, we’ll go alone, like before. We are going to stay away from the ground and be stealthy. That way, we’ll get information without them finding us.’

***

Reize stood cautiously on the top of a branch. Feldren crouched on another one. Though some leaves blocked their vision, they also protected them from being sighted. It was a camp, of some sort. Necromancers filled the area, roaming about, duelling, chatting, and training.
Reize said, ‘Looks like your theory was dead wrong, brother.’
Reize quickly leaped out of his branch, quickly reaching out to the next tree. A series of noise came from the ground. Reize gazed downwards. He had almost got discovered. One of the necromancers pointed to the air. He said something in a foreign language. But it wasn’t hard to tell that he spoke about seeing something out there. Another of them came up to him staring in the gap. He gasped pulling the necromancer with himself. Reize was safe. There was a swiping noise, as he found Feldren next to him. He was really fast.
Reize said, ‘Okay. These people do not speak Markish. We are going to need an interpreter.’
Feldren nodded, ‘Yes, but we cannot bring one here in the woods. We should return, and find a way to locate Garvelin. She would know this language.’
Reize sighed, ‘And how do we find her?’
Feldren shook his head, ‘I have absolutely no idea.’
Reize gasped, ‘Then why are you giving such useless ideas?!’
Feldren closed his eyes. He crouched on the branch. What options did they have at the moment? The first was that they openly assaulted the camp with their armies and wiped them off. That would put them to ease, but there was no guarantee that this was the ONLY camp. Second option was that they could try and search for Garvelin, throughout the forest. That would be possible only if the assigned a trained spy in every quarter of a mile. That was unaffordable. The third option was that they told the happenings to the king and heard out what he had to say. Under the current circumstances, the third was the only possible option. The others were just impractical.
Feldren stood up, opening his eyes. Reize said, ‘We are giving up on this and going to father, if I am not wrong?’
Feldren shook his head, ‘Not yet, Reize. We will wait. Let’s just keep going according to our plan. We’ll keep an eye in these places, in alteration. Today, we’ve both been here. But that’s unnecessary. Tomorrow, I’ll be here alone, while you, Reize, will survey the people like you did about the horse theft.’
Reize nodded, ‘Hmm that seems wiser. But don’t you think we may be wasting precious time here? Maybe these necromancers are attempting invasion.’
Feldren said, ‘Perhaps, they are, Reize. But if they are, we cannot simply fight them by launching an all-out attack on them, can we? We need information first.’

***

Reize stood leaning to a dusty wall in front of the messy, populous market. He had his face wrapped with a dirt stained scarf and wore a tattered robe. He had a staff in his left hand.
Even if he was a prince, Reize was indeed very skilled in taking up disguises. A dark figure dashed in snatching away a few fruits from a merchant.
The merchant cried, ‘Hey! Thief!’ Reize dashed towards the thief. It was not common to find thieves in the capital city. The Baursbergian capital was all but poor enough to steal food. This was certainly suspicious.
Reize increased his speed trying to get a hold of the thief, but it was too fast. Reize aimed and shot his staff at it. It hit the head, making the thief fall off its feet.
Reize crouched close, and pulled away the hood. It was Garvelin. Reize grinned. He said, ‘Well, well, well. What have we here?’ Garvelin pushed him away, standing up. Reize got a hold of his staff again. He was not skilled ONLY in longsword. Garvelin prepared a dark mana bolt in her arms. She fell to her knees. The merchant pulled got a hold of her. He pulled her hair, ‘you thief! Where do you come from?’
Garvelin screeched in agony, glaring at Reize. Reize sighed, ‘Let her go, poor man.’ Reize handed him back the fruits Garvelin had stolen. He pulled away his scarf revealing his face.
He said, ‘Now, Garvelin. You have no way out. Tell me. Tell me EVERYTHING.’
Garvelin argued, ‘And what if I refuse to do what you say? Will you kill me?’
Reize chuckled, ‘Not really. That would just mean loss of evidence to me. But you certainly would not want to be thrown into the sewers and tortured would you? I am not really one who does that, but if you leave me no choice… well… I would have no choice.’
Garvelin said, ‘Very well, then. Looks like revealing it all would be the wisest right now. However, don’t think I am doing this because you pressurized me to. And if you do not treat me with dignity, the consequences may be harsh.’
Reize laughed heartily, ‘Dignity, from a thief, and threatening from a fallen. You are a really interesting person, Garvelin.’
Garvelin raised her voice, ‘don’t you dare call me a…’
Reize raised his arms, ‘Fine, fine. I won’t call you what you are.’
Garvelin glared at him. Reize stuck out his tongue, ‘Oops. I mean I won’t call you what you aren’t. Now. Tell me, fast.’
Garvelin shook her head, ‘Not in this place. I would rather have myself taken to a proper civil place. No, that would be risky. Rather, I would advise, we take this conversation to a rather empty place. Maybe a dark alley or so. I cannot speak in front of… people.’
Reize said, ‘Looks like we have an introvert here. We can talk in an alley, but I would rather suggest my own room in the palace. I have had a LOT of these dirty places for today. A prince should stay like a prince, right?’

***

Reize sat on his couch, in his more natural royal tunic this time. He leaned back, gestured Garvelin to start. He had finally done it! He would now get to know what this all was about. It was not easy, but not very hard either, considering the fact that he did it all without having King Cline even hear about it.
Garvelin said, ‘I belong to the Teserdian Empire. I am… or rather was the daughter to the king.’
Reize said amusedly, ‘Interesting. So, why “were” you, and why aren’t you?’

***

Garvelin stood firmly in front of her father. She said, ‘Father, we must speak.’
Jelstron returned a generous reply unmoved from his throne, ‘Why not, my dear?’
Garvelin looked at the ground, feeling regret. Then she looked up again, ‘I want you not to attack Fernmark, and do what I say.’
Jelstron narrowed his eyes, ‘What? You think you can command your own father?’
Garvelin argued, ‘Just hear me out first. We can have the entire world instead of just Fernmark. I have found the way into the…’
Jelstron shouted, ‘Shut up! I don’t need to know what you want to say. What I do is that you are my daughter, and are supposed to be loyal to the Teserdian Banner.’
Garvelin frowned, ‘That is all you know, isn’t it? Teserdia, Teserdia, Teserdia… Is there nothing else in your life?’
Jelstron stood up, with a grim emotion in his face. He said in a deep tone, ‘Garvelin, THAT is how it is SUPPOSED to be after all, isn’t it? Do you not remember the 21st Vow of Incarnation you took when you joined the Teserdian forces? It went as, “All that exist in my life this moment forward, is Teserdia. Nothing else exists for me. And nothing else shall exist for the world.” Garvelin! Are you forgetting the vows?’
Garvelin grumbled, ‘Ah! You are a fool, father! I am doing what I want to do to help Teserdia itself! It is you who does not listen to it. Are YOU not the one that stops the Teserdian Empire from attaining glory?’
Jelstron stood firm, ‘Do you forget the 49th Vow of Incarnation? “I shall not force my opinion onto the king. I shall do only what he says. And shall never try to suggest that anything surpasses it.” Garvelin, you disappoint me.’
Garvelin roared fiercely, ‘STOP IT, father! It is not my fault that the vows were impractical and not beneficial to Teserdia. If you only care about laws and not Teserdia itself, then… then I’ll have to leave.’
Jelstron, drew his sword pointing it towards Garvelin, ‘The 100th and last Vow of Incarnation says, “There is nothing better for Teserdia than the Vows. I give my word, that I shall obey them. I shall never argue to amend the Vows.” Garvelin, you can no longer be called my daughter. Leave immediately, and never return. From this moment forth, found by any Teserdian if you are, you shall be slashed on sight.’

***

Garvelin said, ‘Well, that is what happened.’
Reize said, ‘So why DID you steal those horses from the stable?’
Garvelin sighed, ‘I was starving. I hadn’t eaten anything for weeks.’
Reize gasped, ‘YOU ATE THEM?’
Garvelin shouted, ‘NO! I sold them to a merchant, to get money in return.’
Reize licked his lips in anticipation, ‘Oh. And I don’t believe you will tell me about this super master plan of yours of world domination?’
Garvelin chuckled, ‘You are right. I will under no circumstances tell you what my plan is. And joke all you want about it, for soon, you will DIE because of it.’
Reize giggled, ‘Fine, fine. I have always wanted to die young. I’ve hated to think myself to be an old hag. I have no problem if you try to kill me. I give everybody well deserved opportunities. Now… am I not a fair man?’
There was an awkward silence in the room. Reize continued, ‘Now… tell me about the plan of the Teserdian Empire.’
Garvelin nodded, ‘Very well. Since I am no longer of their loyalty, I can freely do so. The Empire plans an invasion. Quite simple. They have sent these necromancers to scout the area and most probably have successfully done so already. Soon, will arrive our forces, ready to crush you all beneath its boots.’
Reize nodded, ‘I see. So, how does it plan on defeating our massive army?’
Garvelin said, ‘Its army is larger than yours. But that’s not all. It also seeks alliance with your long enemy Drales. It is not confirmed if the alliance will indeed be formed or not. But even if it isn’t, the Teserdian Forces can EASILY defeat Baursberg. So you better watch your step. It won’t be easy at all for you to survive.’
Reize sighed, ‘I understand. We are at the lower hand aren’t we?’
Garvelin said, ‘Yes.’
Reize said, ‘So, can you tell me ANYTHING, which can actually HELP us from defeat? You know, after the way I have treated you, I deserve a bit of help.’
Garvelin laughed, ‘You amuse me. I have revealed to you already too much. But yet, as it pleases me, I shall tell more. The Teserdian Empire shall arrive from the eastern coast. Be ready to station you main army there. However, do NOT leave the main city unguarded. That will be death of you all. And though it is certain Baursberg will fall, I can tell you a way to resurrect it. You must survive the war no matter what. Even your brother. If either of you dies, your country will have no hope. So, ALWAYS beware the army. You must either be armoured in plate, or must keep a shield. Else, you have no chance of survival. And of course. Weapons are meant to kill. No shield or armour can give you perfect defence.’
Reize sighed, ‘Well, you make it sound like the war has started already. I thank you for helping me so much. I shall always remember it.’
Garvelin chuckled, ‘Not for long. We will soon hold swords at each other’s necks.’
Reize sighed, ‘If it IS SO unavoidable, then I guess we have no option. But let’s see what happens. Maybe, you will even fail in your plans. You may leave now, Garvelin. I will not trouble you further.’