When A Planet Falls | Teen Ink

When A Planet Falls

July 9, 2013
By CatchAFallingStar PLATINUM, Pearland, Texas
More by this author
CatchAFallingStar PLATINUM, Pearland, Texas
24 articles 6 photos 67 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's yours, if it doesn't, it never was." - Unknown


Author's note: My sister and I started writing this because we were homeschooled and we had nothing else to do.

Prologue
August 22, 3101

On a planet called Kalem, named after its King, Noelox Kalem, a group of scientists gathered around a new magnifying device, that is, in many ways, a lot like the telescope, only far more advanced. Dr. Rob Orion, the scientist who invented the device, was sure that there were things they couldn’t see with their telescopes; no matter how advanced they had gotten throughout history. Of course there was only one way to find out; develop a new, more advanced, telescope that could reveal what they knew was always there. They suspected that there was another planet, with life, besides Kalem, Pinegrave, and Earth. But, depending on how you chose to see it, it could be wonderful or, most likely, tragic for not just Kalem, but Pinegrave and Earth, too. They had named the device Lucy, The Sky Magnifier.

Dr. Orion had just finished the invention, the evening before last, and he couldn’t wait to start testing it. The rest of his lab, although not quite as excited as him, were pleased to have made some progress as of late, because of the accident nearly a year earlier that had caused half of the building, and the staff, to go up in flames. Many lives were lost on that eerie September night, and several million dollars in equipment, as well. Fortunately, this long-awaited device had the whole building hopeful for a new breakthrough. As soon as Dr. Orion had arrived, everyone in his lab was ready for the first series of tests. They started immediately, hoping they could actually use it by the end of the day.
Now that they had officially gone through every test imaginable, they set it up in the highest tower. Dr. Orion removed his eyeglasses and bent over slightly, putting his eye up to Lucy. For several minutes, he searched the sky until, abruptly, he stopped. He slowly backed away from the magnifier and stood before his team.
“Boys, we’ve done it. We’ve found the hidden planet.” Everyone clapped and cheered, before realizing that it wasn’t something to be excited about. This planet could only mean trouble if it had stayed hidden so long.
“We should call the king, immediately, Dr. Orion,” one of the newbies stated. Rob eyed the group very carefully and then rushed out of the room, leaving the team in the tower.
*****
“Noelox, I have come here upon your request. Now what do you want? You may choose to sit on your throne all day having your servants wait on you, hand and foot, but I have important things to take care for the people of my planet. So please, hurry it up, if you wish for me to be pleasant during this meeting,” King Bandaxi Pinegrave demands as he enters King Noelox Kalem’s palace, with two Symbols standing at his side.

“Ah, Bandaxi, how are you? Still using your power for your own well-being, I assume. I have called you here today for one reason and one reason only,” Noelox states, rising from his throne.

Bandaxi sighs, not at all hiding his disinterest. “Get on with it, then.” One of Noelox’s servants rushes in, offering Bandaxi a chair to sit in during this unusual meeting. As soon as he is seated, Noelox takes a step forward. He’s a very intimidating man to anyone besides the only person he wishes to intimidate, his one enemy, King of Pinegrave.

“Listen to me, take me seriously, for what I am about to tell you could drastically change the fate of both our planets,” he says in a low voice, hoping any near-by servants aren’t listening in.

King Pinegrave finally shows an ounce of interest, looking Kalem in the eye. “What is it, Noelox?”

The King sighs, dramatically, turning around in one quick movement. He returns to his throne and demands that all of his servants and family leave the room. Only then does he show Pinegrave his fearful expression.

“There is another planet that we must worry about other than our own. They aren’t too far from either one of us and they have a strong army and weapons. Although I do not know who they intend to attack, I do know that it will happen soon. Very soon, Pinegrave, do you hear me?” King Noelox says louder than he had meant to.

“You lie! We have searched the galaxy a million times for other planets with any life. There is no possible way that there could be an unknown planet!” Pinegrave shouts, now standing up from his chair. His

Noelox puts his hand out in front of him in an attempt to stop his enemy from getting any closer to him and his throne. “Stop, Bandaxi! You knew this day would come. We discussed what would happen if we ever found another planet that could be a threat to either one of us! You know what we must do, now, you agreed on it. We must put our differences aside and form an alliance, immediately! Our armies must fight together, our people must work together, and our families must stay together!”

“Never in a million years! I will never form an alliance with you and your idiotic methods of ruling your planet. You lie to me and my people, so we will never help you! There is no other planet! We would know of it! You just can’t handle ruling this planet on your own! Well let me tell you, Kalem, I will never help you or your people in any way, ever again. This means war!” Pinegrave shouts, turning to leave Kalem’s palace. Before he can reach the doors to exit, Kalem stands up from his throne.

“You fool! You know both of our planets are not ready for a war! We have hardly any weapons or trained Symbols,” he yells, forcing him to stop dead in his tracks.

“Whatever you need, Kalem, make sure your people have it by August 22, 3201. That is the day our planets will be at war. That is the day my people will destroy yours!” He replies, turning around to leave again.

“That is a hundred years from now! How will that even work?” Kalem yells after him, but he is too late. Bandaxi is already gone, returning to his ship, leaving Kalem and going back to Pinegrave, telling his people of the war that will take place in one hundred years on the day of August 22, 3201.



Chapter One
Ella Daggerlight

Kalem and Pinegrave have been training its people, creating new weapons and technology, and doing as much as possible to be ready for August 22, 3201. That’s only two years and fourteen days from today. Although the mysterious planet never did attack either one of the two planets, they are still out there, according to the people of Kalem. As for Pinegrave, they were never even informed of the planet. Not like they needed to be, since their king telling them that there would be war against Kalem was reason enough to do exactly that. At exactly three o’clock this afternoon, me and one hundred ninety-nine other teens between the ages of fourteen and eighteen will arrive at Camp Nervalex. This camp will train us long enough to be prepared for the day we will either win, or lose everything we have, trying to. It will afford us the opportunity to get used to the unknown powers stirring inside each and every one of us. Only one child out of every Semilex, which is a group of siblings that are twins, triplets, or quadruplets, is born with a symbol on their left wrist. That symbol is a crescent moon, a star, a cloud, a lightning bolt, a leaf, or the sun. Meaning, that this individual has a special power that is destined, in some way, to help our people defeat Pinegrave. We are called Symbols. We will fight to the end of this war, we will give up our lives for our people, and we will be victorious, whether we want to be, or not.
My name is Ella Daggerlight, I am fifteen years old. When I was born, my twin sister was taken from my family, to a different city called Lydia. She was forced to grow up in a school for mortals, like her. She was raised by teachers and a head master, instead of her mother and father, all because I was born with the sun on my wrist. The last time I saw her was that day, when we were born. Her name is Juliet Kellen, but that is all I know about her. She is not permitted by law to have any contact with anyone in our family. I am allowed to keep my parents’ last name but my sister got a recycled one. Once the mortal siblings are born they are taken to Zennect Raltoid, which means “Normal Lives” in Kalem. At the school, the mortal babies are assigned last names from a list of superheroes of our planet that have died. I have always imagined that she is very bright and too mature for her age, just as I am.
Camp Nervalex is the last place I want to be this summer, however, if you don’t show up after being chosen to train there, the government will execute the boys and lock up the girls for the rest of their lives. Symbols live a lot longer than mortals do, but we most certainly do not live forever. My great-great-great grandmother has reached one-hundred-seventy-eight and is expected to live twice her current age, as do most Symbols. My own mother is only thirty-two, since we have children very young here. My mother and father were married on her sixteenth birthday because that is the legal age for marriage.
I find myself constantly trying to picture what this camp might be like. Will it be extravagant, with things I couldn’t imagine in my wildest dreams, and make an otherwise boring summer, exciting? Or will it be the most wretched place on the planet, maybe even the universe? As excited as I am to find out what my power is, I am also extremely nervous because I might have a useless power and it could prevent me from helping, once we’re on the battlefield. Although that might be a good thing, since I don’t want anything to do with the war. Most people on Kalem are against it, but every now and again there’s some nut job that nonchalantly walks down the street wearing a T-shirt that says, “Kalem vs. Pinegrave: The Most Epic Battle in History!” and on the back, “Kalem For The Win!” even though it hasn’t happened yet.
As for my family, besides the sister I will never meet again, they do not support the war at all. I only live with my mother and my grandmother, but granny is never around. She’s always out with her friends. That is an odd thing to be said about a mortal grandmother, but mine is obviously not one. She’s barely fifty-six years old, so I’m all for her having some fun while she can still enjoy life. My father died three years ago from an explosion at his job. He retired from being a superhero when I was eight and became a designer for new weapons. They were testing one of his co-workers’ experiments and it failed, causing the whole building to go up in flames. Over 20 people were killed in the explosion.
I forgot to mention, only Symbols are permitted by law to have children. Honestly, I have no clue why, since mortals can produce a Symbol just like we can. But whatever the king says, goes, I guess.
I need to leave for the bus station soon, where a bus will take me all the way to Pluvalore, the city in which Camp Nervalex is located. I glance over at the alarm clock on my dresser and realize that it’s a little before one o’clock. Holding onto the suitcase that my mom helped me pack last night, I head out of my room. Mom had to be at work pretty early this morning so she said goodbye to me last night. I’m only going off to fight for our planet, nothing serious or anything. It would’ve been nice if she had called in sick to spend my last day here with me. But my mother has always cared more about her job than me. Not like she’s ever said it, but it’s kind of hard not to notice that kind of thing.
As I make my way down the staircase, I admire some family pictures framed on the wall; I may never see this house again. I miss my dad but with the way things are going, I’m glad he doesn’t have to stand by and watch his daughter go off to war and, potentially, be killed in battle. I pause when I come to one of my favorite pictures. It’s of me, my father, my mother, and my best friend Steven. At the time, I was only seven years old, fresh out of the first grade. My height, purple T-shirt matched with overalls, and pigtails prove it. Steven is a year older than me and we met when I was only three months old because my mom works with his dad. He is also a Symbol, but I haven’t heard if he’s been chosen to go to Camp Nervalex this year. Last year he was rejected because he broke his arm a week before the planned arrival day at camp. The year before that he was rejected for pretty much the same reason. He broke his leg skateboarding. They only accept two hundred kids every year. You have to be very healthy in order to even qualify, hence the reason he was denied. I was rejected for unknown reasons. I guess they just had too many healthy, war-prepared Symbols. This year, I got the letter in the mail informing me of the scheduled arrival and giving me the “Symbol Code of Conduct”. I haven’t seen Steven in a couple weeks so hopefully he didn’t do anything stupid enough to ensure his third rejection. Before I continue moving down the last few steps, I snatch the frame off the wall, pop off the back, and carefully tuck the picture into an unzipped pocket in my suitcase. The kitchen is a mess, but I smile anyway because this might be the last time I see it in person. I think I’m as ready as I’ll ever be for something like this. I stare down at the sun-shaped scar on my wrist as I adjust my grasp on my small-but-heavy suitcase. The symbol has been there my whole life but I’m still not comfortable with it. I doubt that I ever will be. Time to leave, it’s now or never. Except never isn’t exactly an option.

****
The bus station is as crowded as I thought it would be. People keep slamming right into me, not even giving me a glance just to make sure I’m okay. I make my way through the crowd and finally reach a safety zone near a blue metal bench and a no smoking sign. I check my watch and discover that I only have five minutes to get to my bus. Number 5608A. I don’t enjoy riding buses one bit. It’s, unfortunately, time to leave my safety zone. I cut through a group of people that are gathered in front of my bus. A girl gives me a dirty look but I guess it’s better than completely ignoring my existence. I’m almost at the door, I can see it. But suddenly I’m on the ground. I look up and see the man that knocked me down. He doesn’t seem to notice at first, but when he does his eyes widen.
“Oh! Are you okay? I’m so sorry! I’m the biggest klutz on the planet,” he says, helping me up. He lifts my suitcase off the pavement and hands it back to me. He seems like he is genuinely concerned, I even start to feel bad for him, but then I realize I’m the one that was nearly injured.
“It’s okay. No harm, no foul. It’s not like I’m bleeding or anything,” I smile. I can’t be absolutely sure but I think he’s a mortal. He looks average and he’s in his mid-forties, maybe early fifties. I glance down at my watch again. I’m going to be late.
“Have a nice day. I really have to go or I’ll miss my bus.”
“You take care!” he shouts as I walk away.
I’m finally on the bus and luckily there aren’t too many people. It takes forever to get to Pluvalore, according to the map they sent me along with an information pamphlet. It shouldn’t take more than an hour and a half if the bus driver speeds it up. I’m sitting next to a mortal guy that’s reading an anger management book, titled How to Cope with Your Anger. If I could move to a different seat I would, but the caution sign above the driver’s seat says not to walk around when the bus is in motion. I take out a book I’ve been reading lately called Flowers Bloom, Winter Dies. It’s a love story, if the title doesn’t give that away. A few minutes later, the guy with the anger management book gets off. I nearly scream when I see who gets on at the angry guy’s stop. It’s Steven! He sees me and smiles. I’ve missed that smile. When he spots the empty seat next to me, he immediately sits down.
“What are the odds?” he says, turning towards me with the biggest grin.
“Weird, isn’t it? I’ve really missed you these past few weeks. How was your friend’s wedding in Revelpex?” I ask him.
“It was okay, but you know how much I hate weddings.” Steven has a lot of girls in his circle of “close friends” and they’ve all been getting married the past three years. He likes to hang out with the older crowd, since his theory is that everyone our age, except me and him, are completely and totally immature. Which doesn’t exactly make sense, but I don’t want to bring it up and burst his bubble. Anyway, he finds social gatherings to be boring and a waste of time. And I don’t get out much, so it’s pretty obvious, besides practically meeting each other at birth, why we’re best friends.
“I missed you too, by the way. I was afraid you would be rejected again,” he says switching the topic from weddings to war.
“I’m just glad I don’t have to go through this without you,” I say shuffling through the pages of my book.
“I know how you feel,” he says looking away. I’ve probably made him feel uncomfortable. Steven doesn’t exactly love showing emotion, especially in public, which is pretty immature if you ask me. Another reason his theory is ridiculous. We sit there in silence, occupying ourselves with things we’ve packed for entertainment while we’re at Camp Nervalex, for the rest of the trip to Pluvalore.
When I see the “Welcome to Pluvalore” sign my heart starts to beat a mile per minute. How could anyone not be nervous when being forced into something like this? Stupid war. I really wish that this horrible feud would just go away forever. I don’t care about “dying in honor” or being a hero, so it’s kind of ironic that I’m destined to be one. Steven stands up and that’s how I know that we’re at the Pluvalore Bus Station. I’m pretty sure that Camp Nervalex is right next door to the station but I can’t be positive unless I’m looking at one of those “You Are Here” directories, since I’m terrible with directions.
“Come on, Ella, it’s already two forty-five,” I hear Steven say from the front of the bus. I hadn’t realized he’d already left. I get up from my seat and lift my suitcase from off the floor. I try to imagine what Camp Nervalex will be like, but I honestly have no idea what to expect. Our whole lives have revolved around this moment but we don’t even know what we’re getting ourselves into. I give an appreciative nod to the bus driver that drove us the two hours from Gineva to get here. When I step off the bus, Steven is nearly twenty feet in front of me, waiting.
“Hurry up, slow poke! We’ve only got about ten minutes to be there!” he yells getting further and further away from me and the bus. I start to speed walk to try to catch up with him. There’s a giant grey building with weird statues that look like animals, but have something human-like about them, next to it. It looks like the kind of building my father would have worked in. Right next to the building is a motel-looking place. I stand on my tip-toes to get a view of the sign. “Welcome to Camp Nervalex”, the sign reads. It, by no means, looks like a camp, at least from the front. I’m finally next to Steven, trying to catch my breath. He’s looking at the sign, too. The next thing I know he is in front of the building. He walks up to the door of the Camp Office and turns towards me.
“Well, here goes nothing.” He shrugs, twisting the knob and pulling open the door. We immediately see a woman dressed in all black. Even her hair is completely jet black. She looks like death. So I guess it’s appropriate that she’s here. She notices our presence and smiles, standing up from her spot behind the front desk.
“Hello! Welcome to Camp Nervalex, I’m Sarah Blossom, the guidance counselor,” she says waltzing over to us. Her appearance screams Goth, but her personality says Cheerleader.
“Hi, I’m Steven, and this is my friend, Ella,” Steven smiles.
“Come on in, make yourself comfortable,” she replies to Steven, not even glancing in my direction when he introduces me. I don’t point out that she says “yourself” instead of “yourselves”. Steven goes to sit down on a love seat that’s in the corner of the lobby. I awkwardly follow him so I don’t have to talk to Sarah.
“I’ll bring in some paperwork that you’ll both need to fill out. Be right back!” At least she finally acknowledged that there are two people here, not just Steven. Maybe I should start speaking for myself instead of letting him do all the talking everywhere we go.
Once Sarah is back with the paper work, we immediately start filling it out because there are probably about twenty pages, maybe more, to go through. I hear the bell that hangs on the top of the door ring, so I turn to see who has come into the office. I see a girl and a guy that have the same hair and eye color. They almost look related or something, but they can’t be siblings. Their green and black hair almost scares me into thinking they’re bad news, but when the guy starts talking to Sarah, I realize how polite he is. I’ve never seen such a smiley person in my whole life. I guess you really can’t judge a book by its cover, which I should’ve known from meeting Sarah, as well. Steven notices their arrival and looks terribly uncomfortable. I’ve learned to never ask Steven what’s wrong in the years that I’ve known him. If I do, it just makes him more upset. Even though I can’t help but wonder what his deal is.

The guy walks over with his paper work to where we’re sitting and the girl trails close behind him. He gives me a faint smile, and I have a strange feeling that this could be the start of a new friendship. Steven looks like he is thinking the complete opposite, however, with his side-ways-death-glare that Jaylar has somehow earned upon arrival. Once we’re finished with all that is required to sign-in, we are forced out of the lobby by Sarah, and into a giant field surrounded by cabins. The grass is so green and vibrant; I almost don’t notice the hundreds of people standing around, obviously waiting for something to happen. Zarlo Katrina, the owner of this camp, calls up the people that haven’t been assigned cabins yet and, of course, Steven, Jaylar, Iris, and I are the only ones that comply. After the cabins have been assigned and Steven is finished with his scary side-ways-glares aimed at Jaylar for being in the same cabin as him, we start making our way over to the our new temporary homes. Zarlo picked random cabin numbers and they just happened to get the same one. It’s not Jaylar’s fault, but no one’s going to inform Steven of this, especially when he’s already set out to kill Jaylar, for whatever reason. I’m ready to leave Steven to his ridiculous behavior, when he’s suddenly right in front of me. Only he doesn’t look angry at all. Somehow he got a hold of my hand.
“I’ll see you later, Ella. Just be careful, okay?” his eyes say he’s concerned.
“Be careful? What’ll happen to me, here? Everyone’s on the same side, if you hadn’t realized,” I reply, not at all fighting the urge to giggle.
“You don’t know anyone at this camp, except me. You can’t trust a soul. Be aware of your surroundings at all times. If you ever need help, just push the red button and scream bloody murder, do you hear me?” he whisper-shouts, handing me a walkie-talkie-looking-device. I stare at it a moment longer and give him one last hug before I have to meet my new roommates, or cabin-mates, rather. As soon as I open the door to cabin number eleven I hear the cheerful voices of the teens inside. Most of them do not acknowledge my entrance or my presence, but I’m awarded a couple of confused glances, which of course, is not what I expected. Trying to choose a bunk bed, I notice a break in the loud conversation, but when I turn around, everyone is staring at me, wearing blank expressions. Before I can truly react to the sudden turn of events, a boy slightly older than me approaches, crossing his arms.
“Are you sure you’re a Symbol? You look pretty average, like a mortal,” he smirks, eyeing me up and down.
“Uh…” is all my brain can come up with. Unsurprisingly, I have no clue how to respond to such accusations. I have never been told that I look so average, that I could possibly be a mortal. Luckily, that’s all I have to say, because another boy his age stands up from the crowd of teenaged-smirks. He is taller, leaner, and frankly, a lot more attractive, I noticed, than the guy who’s still giving me the evilest of grins.
“Come on Bryce, she’s just here to train. She’s obviously a Symbol. Otherwise, she wouldn’t have a symbol on her wrist, and she wouldn’t be at this camp in the first place,” he points out, glaring at the guy.
“Shut up, Chase, I was just messing with her. You don’t always have to take things so personally. You don’t even know her,” he says still grinning, as he returns to his bunk to continue the conversation, if you can even call it that, in which they had started before I arrived. The only person that defended me still stood in the same spot, right in front of me and my new bunk bed, which I had just chosen.
“Uh, thanks. I guess I owe you one, you know, for sticking up for me,” I manage to say, turning back to my bed. This mysterious person that I didn’t know at all, that just defended a total stranger, and who could possibly be not what he seemed, stared back at me even as I broke eye contact. I had to follow Steven’s instructions; don’t trust anyone here. Even if he did appear to be a kind-hearted person, he could also just be a backstabber, literally. And I don’t know about the rest of the campers, but Steven and I don’t want to be murdered in our sleep. Snapping back to his face, I wait for any sort of response. But one never comes.
“Are you gonna stand there and stare at me all day, or are you gonna move on?” I demand, wondering why he is still lingering after the whole scene has already passed.
“Just trying to be friendly,” he replies, his eyes focused directly on mine.
“Well maybe you would succeed in being friendly if you actually tried speaking after someone thanks you, instead of just staring blankly.”
“Maybe. You don’t owe me by the way, and I would be careful of what you say around here if I were you. Don’t bite off more than you can chew, little girl,” he warns, his eyes almost daring me to try something, even though I wouldn’t since he’s clearly a foot and a half taller than me.
“I’m not a little girl, I’m nearly sixteen,” I protest, noticing how loud the room has gotten. Everyone is engaged in some sort of conversation, some intellectual, most not.
“Sixteen, huh? You’re just a child, brownie,” he chuckles, obviously referring to my head of dark brown curls. I honestly feel like punching him in the face. We’ll see how smug he is after that little episode. Then I remind myself of the whole height issue, and also the fact that he looks like he could knock anyone on the planet out cold with just one swift movement.
“You’re only, what, two years older than me?” I cross my arms over my chest, glaring, doing my best to stay calm, but still trying showing him that I’m not a force to be reckoned with, whether that’s true or not. He chuckles again, more loudly this time, not even breaking his gaze.
“I’m much older than you, sweetheart, much older than you.” And then he’s gone, off back to where he should be, on the other side of the room. And that’s exactly why I can’t trust people here. They’re all the stuck-up, think-they-know-it-all, type of people. Before I do something stupid, I remind myself that I’m here to train; nothing else is important right now. Well except unpacking my suitcase, of course.

Chapter Two
July Maplefax
Going off to war alone would be awful; but going with your dad is even worse. At least, for me it is. But my father seems to be enjoying himself. Maybe he’s trying to hide his true emotions or whatever, but he’s been smiling ever since we left our log-cabin-style house, out in Starkell Forest.
Not a lot of people live in Starkell Forest, which is nice considering how large it is, but it gets lonely sometimes. My father has been preparing for Camp Nervalex for a long time now, him being a trainer and all, and I don’t have any friends out here, so I’ve basically just had myself as company. It’s not all that bad at first, being alone. But after a while, you just want someone to talk to.
I start to think about what it’s like to live in an actual city, but my thoughts are interrupted by my father shouting, “July, we’ve made it past the forest, hurry, we’ll be late!” He’s not usually as stern, but he wants to make a good impression on the first day of his new job.
“Okay,” I reply. We both have backpacks strapped to our backs, containing clothes, water bottles, and books. We’ve decided to walk to the bus station instead of taking our car, for exercise purposes. My father wants us to be as prepared as possible for what’s coming.
I’m not excited about it, to say the least. I don’t support the war, and neither does my father. You may see that as a contradiction, but he’s only a trainer at camp so he can spend more time with me, in case I, y’know, die.
“Dad?” I say, fidgeting with the cap on my water bottle.
“What?” he turns towards me. “Are you out of water? I’ve got tons in my bag,” he says, reaching for his backpack.
“No, that’s not it. I wanted to ask you how you feel about this. About me going to war.”
He sighs. I don’t get an answer. I didn’t really expect to get one either, he never answers me when I ask about the war. We walk in silence the rest of the way, which is a long way away from Starkell Forest on foot.
We arrive at the bus station, and we’ve got to wait a while for our bus. “See?” I smirk. “We’re early. You didn’t have to rush.”
“I just wanted to be on time. If I’m fired, I have to go back to the forest,” he says.
I don’t say anything back, because I know we would both be uncomfortable anyways. The bus arrives, but before we board on, my father bumps into a girl with curly brown hair. He apologizes, and then we step onto the bus, along with a family of six people, two teenage guys, and an older man wearing a name tag that says ‘Frankie’.
“Do you wanna sit towards the back?” my father asks.
“Yeah, sure,” I sit down in the second to last row. The teenage guys sit across from me. They’ve got bags, and I begin to wonder if they’re going to Camp Nervalex, too.
“Hey,” says one of the guys. “Are you going to the camp?”
I turn towards him. “Yes.”
“So are we. I’m Seth. And this,” he gestures to the other guy, “is Maxwell.”
“Hi,” I give a nod in Maxwell’s general direction.
“Hey,” Maxwell replies.
My father glances over, and seems to notice for the first time that I’m talking to them. “Hey! Are you two going to the camp as well? I’m George, George Maplefax. I’ll be your agility trainer! This is my daughter, July. She’s going to camp, too, if you didn’t know.”
Seth and Maxwell give an inward glance at each other, and then Seth says “Yeah, we’re going.”
“That’s great! You know, I’ve got some great tricks up my sleeve. I can’t wait to start training, this is so exciting!”
“Hey. Dad,” I interrupt their conversation. “Um, why don’t you go ask the bus driver how far away we are from Camp Nervalex?”
“Oh. Oh, sure,” he says, seeming to realize how forward he was with Seth and Maxwell. “I’ll just… I’ll just go ask him.” He walks to the front of the bus, engaging the driver in a conversation.
“Sorry about him,” I say.
“He’s not a supporter of the war, is he?” Maxwell tenses.
“No, of course he isn’t!” I nearly shriek. “He’s just eager to get to know everyone. He’s only at this job for me. He wants to make a good impression.”
Maxwell seems to relax a little. “I just don’t see how anyone could support this. Sending us off, and making us fight against another planet’s army of people just like us, and basically making us commit suicide.”
“My father is totally against it. He wouldn’t be here if he wasn’t. He would be back in Starkell Forest, rooting for Kalem.” I tell him.
“My father supports the war,” Seth murmurs. “I haven’t talked to him in years.”
A look of pity crosses over my face. “Did you ever try to talk him out of it?”
“Yeah, almost every day up until about four years ago,” Seth chokes out.
I can tell talking about his dad really upsets him, so I change the subject. “So what did you guys pack?”
“What?” Seth says, apparently having been deep in thought. “Oh, erm… I just brought some snacks and comics. And my lucky shield.”
“I brought some cleats and t-shirts, and some sun lotion,” Maxwell says.
Seth smirks. “Sun lotion?”
“I get burned pretty easily,” Maxwell replies sheepishly. I hadn’t realized how pale he was up until now. His skin is almost… translucent. He catches me staring, and I look away awkwardly, my hair splaying out messily over my shoulder and my bobby pin slipping out of my side bangs.
“I just brought some snacks, too. And my favorite books. They were written forever ago on planet Earth, but I love the classics. Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Little Women, Moby Dick… they’re all so fascinating.” I say, adjusting my hair.
“I’ve never heard of any of those,” Seth laughs.
“Oh,” I reply, a little embarrassed that I had such an interest in such an unpopular time period for books.
“What are they about?” Maxwell asks, leaning forward.
“Uh, well. I don’t think you guys would be interested anyways,” I finally snap the pin back in place.
My father suddenly walks back towards us, saying “About another hour and a half.” He takes his seat behind Seth and Maxwell.
Seth groans. “I hate long car rides.”
“This is a bus,” Maxwell points out.
“Buses are even worse. I have to sit with a bunch of smelly people I don’t know,” Seth says. Then he realizes what he’s said. “I didn’t mean you, July, I meant… just other people… bus-goers in general.”
“I know what you mean,” I reply, recalling my past experiences on buses. Not pleasant.
Maxwell takes out one of his comics. “I just got this yesterday, I haven’t read it yet.”
“What is it?” Seth inquires.
“Fox-man and The Ruby-Eyed-Snakes,” Maxwell shows us the cover.
“What?! Oh, man, I thought that wasn’t out for another month!” Seth slaps his knee.
“Well, you’ve got other comics, just read those,” Maxwell says.
“Hey, I’ve got some old comics you two can read!” my father butts in, once again.
“Like what?” Seth asks, seemingly excited for the first time to hear my dad speak. I turn towards the window, letting them have their comic-book-fun.
We arrive at Camp Nervalex about an hour and a half later, as the bus driver had predicted. I read almost the whole time I’m on the bus, with only the occasional comment about ‘how exciting’ this whole experience is from my father and ‘how cool’ the new Fox-man comic is from Maxwell. Maxwell and Seth grab their bags, Seth nods toward me and my father, and they exit the bus.
I grab my backpack and start down the long aisle between the seats of the bus, my father right behind me. When we get off, Seth and Maxwell are waiting for us. I guess we’re friends now. The four of us take in what’s around us. We’ve been dropped off directly in front of the camp. I guess the bus driver didn’t feel like going the extra sixteenth of a mile to get to the bus station ahead of us. There’s a building that resembles a motel, some smaller cabin-looking buildings behind it (which I can only assume is where we’ll be staying), and lots of directory signs.
My father leads us into the motel-ish building, and we’re greeted by a woman dressed in all black. “Hi! How are you guys?” she beams at us. It’s the last thing I expected her to say. “Oh, you must be George! George Maplefox?” she looks in my father’s direction.
“Maplefax,” he corrects her. “With an ‘a’.”
“Ah,” she replies. “Well, it’s nice to meet you, George,” she shakes his hand. “These three can’t possibly be your children, can they?” The woman jokes.
“No, no. Just July, here,” my father says, putting his hand on my shoulder.
“And who are they?” she points at Maxwell and Seth. It seems kind of rude in my opinion, but I don’t say anything.
“I’m Seth, and this is Maxwell,” Seth says, motioning towards Maxwell.
“Great,” she says. “Oh, I’m Sarah, by the way,” she walks into a room in the back, and returns a few moments later with a stack of papers. “You’ll all need to fill these out” she passes me the papers.
At first, I think it’s a lot of paperwork, until I realize I’m supposed to pass Maxwell and Seth their forms, too. I smile at Maxwell and hand him his stack of papers, and Seth takes his papers as well.
“You could sit down if you’d like,” Sarah offers.
“That would be great,” my dad smiles, taking a seat in a bean bag chair that doesn’t really fit in with the rest of the furniture in the vintage-looking office.
I sit down on the sofa, and Maxwell sits next to me. Seth sits on the floor next to my dad. We all start filling out our papers, and I’m almost done with the first page when I catch Maxwell glancing down at my paperwork. I look up at him, curiously.
“Maplefax?” he asks. “That’s your last name?”
“Yes,” I reply. “My father already said it when he introduced himself to Sarah.”
“That sounds made-up,” Maxwell ignores my previous statement, chuckling.
“Uh, well,” I look down at his clipboard. “Teagan doesn’t sound made-up?”
“Hey, now! I know someone named Teagan. I think it’s pretty common.”
“Yeah, well-“ I start to say, but I’m interrupted by my father whispering at me.
“July, are you finished?” he asks.
I count the pages I have left. Fourteen? “Um, no, not quite,” I say.
“Well, please hurry. Sarah hasn’t got all day, y’know,” he states firmly, smiling over at Sarah. I know he’s just buttering her up, but apparently Sarah thinks his intentions are completely genuine, because she smiles back.
“Sorry,” is all I can come up with. I turn towards Maxwell, “Stop distracting me!”
“How many pages do you have left?” Maxwell asks me.
“Fourteen.”
“Man, you’re slow,” he laughs. “I’ve only got two.”
I glare at him, and then return to filling out the papers. I finally finish about twenty minutes later. Most of the questions asked on the sheets seemed entirely pointless, but I filled it all out anyways. I stand up, hand my papers to Sarah, and return to my seat, waiting for her to file our forms and tell us what to do next. I fidget with the buttons on my coat, and I’m about to start some small talk with Maxwell when I hear a loud bang behind me. I turn around and see a coffee table tipped over, magazines scattered all over the floor. “Sorry,” Seth says awkwardly, tipping the table back over. He places the magazines in a messy stack on top, and then hands Sarah his paperwork.
“Everyone’s done then?” Sarah asks.
“We sure are,” my father replies.
“Great! Now we can sort out the cabins. There are ten people per cabin, and there are twenty-one cabins. Twenty of them are for you wonderful little Symbols,” Sarah gestures towards me, “and one is for the staff, like you, George. Now, we try our best to pair up girls with girls, and boys with boys, but you know we don’t have even numbers here, so there may be a bit of a mix up, but as I said, we’ll try our best to get everyone in the appropriate cabins.”
“Don’t you think it would make sense to have a few extra cabins so boys don’t have to bunk with girls?” I ask.
“Well, that’s not up to me,” Sarah says in an irritated tone. I’m starting to think she doesn’t like me very much. But her smile returns right after, and she faces my father. “George, you can go set your bags in the staff cabin. Number twenty-one.”
“Ah, will do,” my father replies. “Be back in a few minutes,” he grabs his bags, does this weird salute-thing in my direction, and then leaves.
“So,” Sarah says. “What to do with you guys… how about we have July in cabin sixteen? And then…” she shuffles some papers around in her hands, “Maxwell and Seth in cabin seven. Is everyone okay with the arrangements?”
I nod, followed by Maxwell and Seth.
“Alrighty, then, off you go,” Sarah smiles. “Zarlo’s out with some other Symbols, just go to your cabins, I’m sure he’ll come around soon to give you your shirts and start some training. Just settle in, I guess.”
We grab our bags, and leave the office. We walk towards the circle of cabins out back. “See you later, July,” Maxwell waves.
“See ya!” Seth smiles. They walk towards the other side, and soon they disappear into their cabin.
I walk to my cabin, number sixteen. I turn the knob, and step in. It looks almost exactly like our house in Starkell Forest, besides the bunk beds and strangers. “Hi,” one of the girls says. She’s sitting on top of a bunk bed, reading a book, and she’s one of the few people that are actually girls in the cabin. “What’s your name?” she asks.
“July Maplefax,” I reply.
“I’m Millicent Charling,” she says, her voice a bit shy. I smile in return and walk towards an empty top bunk in the middle of the room. I would have liked a corner bed, but I guess that’s what I get for arriving so much later than everyone else. There’s only two other empty beds, one below me, and another on my left, also a top bunk. Overall, the cabin is actually kind of nice. I could get used to this. But half the time we won’t even be here. Instead, we’ll be training to fight to our death.

Chapter Three
Jaylar McGroven
Have you ever felt like your heart could just explode right out of your chest from overwhelming sadness? Well I have only experienced that feeling for the first time very recently, when I met a homeless girl, named Iris Florence, on the street outside my mother’s bakery. Since she’s homeless and has nobody to care for her except me, I give her any edible bakery items that can’t be sold. If it weren’t for me, she wouldn’t eat much. She is a Symbol, destined for greatness, like me. We were both accepted to Camp Nervalex last week, so I volunteered to be the driver for our long trip. I even brought some snacks along for the ride, including a box of thin mint cookies because they’re our favorite. I’m on the highway, trying to concentrate on my driving. I sneak a glance over towards Iris. She is looking out of the passenger’s side window, the green streaks in her hair shining in the afternoon sunlight. I love how Iris’s hair is the same color as mine; black with dark green streaks. We also have the same color eyes, so we look like we’re brother and sister. However, when it comes to Iris and I, looks are the only thing we have in common besides being Symbols and having mild-thin-mint-addictions. Then I smile to myself, thinking, well, opposites attract. I quickly snap out of it when some guy in the lane next to us almost rams right into my new car. Slowing down a bit clearly doesn’t seem to be enough for this dude, so he speeds up and within two seconds, he’s in my lane and flying down the road. He won’t be so smug when he gets pulled over by the SOKs. Fortunately, no damage was done to my girl. I mean my car, not Iris, by the way. Not like I wouldn’t want anything to happen to her, it’s just Iris isn’t ‘my girl’ and even if she was, she would definitely slug me if she ever heard me call her that. Thinking about my car reminds me of how my life was before I met Iris.
I was the most popular guy in my whole school, much less my grade. When I moved to Veraclock three years earlier, for my freshmen year, I never thought that I would have even half of the friends that I have. Well, had. Once everyone got to know me that first year, I became one of the most well-known students at Veraclock High School. Not just with the students, but the teachers also. I got very used to random teachers that I didn’t even know, coming up to congratulate me on a job well done. My grade point average was the highest the school had ever seen. I took every opportunity to get extra credit points, even though I already scored one-hundred percent in all of my classes. During my sophomore year, I became close friends with the football players and some of the cheerleaders. But one of them stood out to me. A cheerleader, named Amy Kane, who was not just the prettiest, but also the smartest girl at VHS. Of course, I asked her out the day I met her, because upon meeting with one’s dream, or shall I say ideal, woman, it is most definitely appropriate to skip the ‘friends stage’. From then on, we were labeled ‘cutest couple’ or ‘couple that will most likely get married’ and many others I probably haven’t even heard about. Shortly after starting a perfect relationship, my friends, Jeff Racko, Willie Saw, and Flynn Saunders, and I formed a band called “Jupiter’s Moons”, even though Jupiter has, like, over seventy known moons, and there are only four of us. At first, nobody had really heard about the band, but when Amy’s sweet sixteen was being planned, she asked if we wanted to play at the party. We happily accepted her offer and once the fliers had been handed out; there was no turning back for Jupiter’s Moons. We had total strangers asking us to play at their weddings, birthday parties, and even 25th High School Reunions. What had started as a new after school activity had turned into a full-time job. But, of course, we weren’t complaining since that’s as close to being famous as we’ll ever get. Life seemed like it couldn’t possibly get better than it already was.
I woke up one morning, fully prepared to enjoy my first day off since before Amy’s birthday. I had planned to hang out with my friends that weren’t in the band. No offense to the guys, but they were most likely thinking the same thing; we spent enough time together, playing at events, practicing, writing, planning, and so much more. I also told my mom that I would stop by and help at the bakery later that day. After catching a movie with Amy, her friends, and some guys that were on the football team, I did exactly that. However, I did not expect to see a homeless girl that was probably my age or younger, sitting on the corner of the street, when I arrived. Staring at her actually attracted her attention, believe it or not, (insert sarcasm here). We just froze and watched each other. That is, until my mom came outside to ask why I was just standing there. I tried to erase the moment from my brain so I could focus on work, but I found that to be harder than I originally thought it would be. By the time my mom was about to close up shop, I couldn’t resist the urge to see if the girl was still in the same spot, though I seriously doubted that she would be. It was worth a try. Little did I know that that moment would completely change my life; for the better or worse, I haven’t yet decided.
Of course, when I stepped out the front entrance to the bakery, the girl was still there, hunched over with a coat covering her. If her green hair didn’t stand out so much, I would have missed her.

“Hey, Iris,” I say before my brain can catch up with my mouth. She turns away from the window, appearing bemused. I’m sure that I have interrupted a deep thought.
“Yeah?” she replies, her expression softening.
“Uh, how about we play a road trip game?” I suggest. That will break the silence, great plan, self.
“Okay, like what?” she grins. Okay, now what do I do? I can’t think of any stupid games. What was that one my mom always made me play on camping trips? I spy? Something like that, just go for it, I think to myself.
“I spy?” I finally say. The smile on her face makes me think that she knows the game. Surprisingly, things are going better than I thought they would.
“Jaylar, you can’t play that in the car, especially when you’re going eighty-miles-per-hour. The thing you spot will be long gone before I can guess it,” she construes. Oh, man, I’m the planet’s biggest idiot. I laugh at myself, which, fortunately, makes her laugh too.
“If you want to talk to me instead of just sitting in silence, let’s play twenty questions. You can ask twenty questions about me, and then I’ll ask twenty about you,” she suggests.
“Sounds fun, I’ll start. First question; why are you homeless?” I ask, trying not to sound too nosey. I’ve just been wondering that since the day I met her. She looks uncomfortable with the question and I realize I’ve made a mistake. She takes a deep breath.
“My parents abandoned me when I was ten. I was staying with my best friend up until last year when she was killed in a car accident. After she was gone, I had nowhere to stay, so I packed up only what I could fit in my purse and a box and left her apartment to live on the streets.”
I’m not sure what to say. What do you say after someone tells you something like that? I decide to just move onto the next question.
“Second question; what’s your natural hair color? It can’t possibly be black and green with a name like Iris.” She laughs and I’m glad that she’s not upset anymore.
“It’s purple, actually. I dyed it when I was thirteen with the friend I was living with. She had bright red hair and she suggested dying it. I agreed because I was only thirteen, you know? But I kept it like this because it reminds me of her,” she smiles.
“Seems logical, next question; what was this friend’s name and how did you meet her?” I ask.
“That was two questions, but I’ll answer them both. Her name was Gwen and I met her when I was eight, at school. She was getting picked on by some kids two grades above us, and I stepped in to defend her. We became inseparable after that day, so when my parents left, she offered up half her bedroom. She moved out of her parents’ house when she turned sixteen, so we got the apartment I told you about.”
“I see, you’ve had a pretty radical life, you know that? All I can say about my life is that I’m rich and my mom owns a bakery,” I say, realizing that we’re only an hour away from Pluvalore by looking at my GPS. Iris smiles, but it’s an awkward smile.
“Question five; why did you choose to live outside my mom’s bakery?” I was sure that this wasn’t a coincidence.
“Okay, fine, I saw you go in there a couple times and…” She trails off, leaving me hanging.
“What?” I ask, utterly confused.
“Nothing, I can’t tell you right now. Move on to the next question,” she responds, looking out the window again.
Reluctantly, I think of another question. “Okay, question number six; what’s your middle name?” She looks at me, suddenly.
“Why do you want to know that?” she asks, looking puzzled.
“I don’t know, I couldn’t think of anything else,” I admit.
“You’re absolutely terrible at this game, Jay. And I don’t have a middle name so you just wasted a question,” she laughs. I know she’s right, I’m not good at small talk, so how could I be good at twenty questions?
“Since I’m so terrible, how about you ask the questions now?” I say, not at all hiding the smirk on my face.
“Giving up already? Fine, my turn; how are you so darn rich?” I knew this was coming.
“My dad is just a hard worker, I guess. My mother told me that they were broke the first two years of my life.”
“Too bad you can’t remember what it’s like to live like me. Next question; why were you so nice to me the day we met? You didn’t even know me so why bother being friendly?” She’s looking out the window again, her expression blank.
“I don’t know that’s just how I am, I guess. There’s never a reason not to be friendly. That’s my motto. If you mean, why I helped you that day, then the answer is that I have no idea. I just saw you sitting there… and I had to do something,” I sigh, trying to concentrate on the road again.
“Let’s take a break from this game, okay?” She’s still looking out the window. I don’t know why I keep pointing that out. Maybe it’s because every time she looks out the window, I feel like she doesn’t want to be here.
“Okay. I’ll just turn on the radio, if that’s alright,” I say, inching my hand toward the power button on my stereo system.
“I don’t care, you can if you want,” she replies, closing her eyes, still facing the other direction. What I thought would be a fun road trip and a chance to get to know Iris better, has turned out to be the most awkward situation of my life. I turn on the radio to my favorite station. They’re playing “Raindrops” by The Broken Life, my favorite band and my all-time favorite song. I start bobbing my head because for a moment, I forget that Iris is sitting next to me. I see her look at me and smile out of the corner of my eye, so I keep jamming out to the music. We listen to that station until we arrive at Camp Nervalex.

I’m holding my suitcase, Iris’s bags, and her new purse that I paid for, since she didn’t have one, as we walk up to the Camp Office, only because I still felt bad about what happened in the car ride here. This place doesn’t look very fancy but no way am I saying that out loud. Iris will think I’m nothing but a rich boy who can’t handle living in undesirable places. I open the door for her and when she steps inside, I follow her. There are two other Symbols sitting on a love seat in the corner of the room, and a woman wearing all black going back and forth from her office to the lobby. She gives us a friendly smile and says that she’ll be with us as soon as she can. A few seconds later, she hands us the same packets that the other two Symbols are filling out. One is a girl with curly brown hair, the other, a guy that’s surprisingly taller than me, with short brownish blond hair. The guy is too busy filling out his paper work to acknowledge our entrance, but I can sense the girl watching us from across the room. When Iris and I are sitting across from them, they look up. The girl smiles, but the guy doesn’t look happy whatsoever.
Suddenly, a very young-looking guy appears in the lobby. He picks up a clipboard off the front desk and tucks a pen behind his ear. All of us are staring at him as he gets closer to where we’re sitting.

“Welcome to Camp Nervalex, I am the Camp Owner, Zarlo Katrina. Let’s begin your two weeks of training,” he says, barely looking up from the clipboard. The four of us stand up, hand Sarah our paper work, and follow Zarlo through the building all the way to the very back. He opens the only door in sight and sunshine bursts into what used to be a capacious, nearly pitch black, room. My heart is beating insanely fast as we walk outside. I see a copious amount of teenagers that are already talking with camp directors and trainers, who are wearing black jackets with yellow capital letters that read “Camp Nervalex Instructor”. Zarlo hands us each a yellow t-shirt with a number on it. I’m number one hundred-ninety-five and Iris is one-hundred-ninety-six, but I’m too busy putting my t-shirt on to notice which of the two numbers Steven and Ella got.

“Alright, everyone, please stop what you’re doing,” Zarlo shouts into a megaphone. Every single person in the field stops cold, including me. A few kids walk out into the field, oblivious to what’s happening. They are obviously the last ones to arrive because they don’t have their t-shirts yet. I’m not usually intimated easily by anyone, but this guy is a very rare exception.

“I definitively know that none of us want to be here. I am no exception, so don’t waste my time.” I definitely agree with that. Zarlo keeps glancing down at the clipboard, to see if everyone is here, I’m guessing. Then he raises the megaphone to his mouth again.

“Anyone that does not have a cabin yet, please come forward at this time,” he says, in a dull tone of voice.

Iris, Steven, Ella, and I are the only ones that start the walk of shame towards the scary man with the megaphone. Even the kids that got here after us already have their cabins. We awkwardly stand there in front of him until he asks, “What are your names and how old are you?” I speak up first, which annoys Steven. I can tell he likes to think of himself as a big tough guy, but odds are, I’d probably beat him in a fight. Not that it should ever come to that for any reason. I don’t exactly like pounding people’s faces in.

“Okay, Jaylar McGroven and Steven Kaleb, you’re in cabin sixteen. Ella Daggerlight you’re in cabin eleven, and Iris Florence, cabin four,” Zarlo explains, looking at his clipboard. I swear his eyes are glued to that thing.

“Here, take your schedules. Off you go, get settled and then meet the instructors,” he commands. We shuffle away towards the circle of cabins. Looks like I’ll be spending a lot more time with Steven than I had originally planned. Cabin sixteen, okay, where the heck is that? How unorganized this place is boggles my mind. Steven says goodbye to Ella, which makes me think that I should see Iris before we go. And I would, except she is already at her cabin on the other side of the circle. Mental sigh.
When I finally find the cabin, I notice that Steven is right behind me. I push open the wooden door, which looks like it could fall apart at any moment, and drop my stuff down on the floor, making a loud sound. Some kids sitting on their beds look at me like I’ve just murdered a puppy. I go on with my life, unpacking my suitcase on one of the lower bunk beds. Some girl with bright blonde hair is on the bunk above mine. She smiles at me and I awkwardly don’t do the same. I’m not here to make friends with Miss Sunshine-On-A-Cloudy-Day. No offense to her or anything but why try to make this any better? We’re most likely going to die. Every single one of us.
“HEY! We have to go meet the instructors now! Zarlo said so, come on guys!” A scrawny-looking short kid shouts to everyone in the cabin. He must be one of the younger ones.
I finally finish getting settled into the small area that I am provided with, so I decide I should listen to Shorty and go meet my new instructors. As soon as I step foot out the door, I’m knocked down, face first. Someone pushed me, I felt it. When I get up no one is there so I just move on. The camp instructors are all lined up, waiting for everyone to come out of their cabins.
“Hello, everyone welcome to Camp Nervalex! I am Reyna Bluesberg, your battle advisor. I hope you have all settled in nicely. We were planning on having you all meet the instructors first, but Zarlo thinks we should figure out what your powers are! Is everyone excited?” A short brunette woman says, smiling into a microphone. No one says anything so she fetches Zarlo from the back of the line; of course he was looking at that clipboard of his. I wonder what he has on it. He grabs the microphone from Reyna Bluesberg and takes his sunglasses off for the first time since I’ve been here.
“Okay, this is obviously going to take a long time since there are so many of you. Therefore, an instructor will be assigned to each cabin and that instructor will help you discover your powers. I have already assigned them, so everyone go to your cabins and wait for someone to knock on your door. Off you go.” Well what a waste of time. We all walked over here, all two hundred of us, and now five minutes later we have to go right back because of their sloppy, unorganized schedules. Man, I hate this place already.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.