The Last Super-Soldier | Teen Ink

The Last Super-Soldier

By M0riarty BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
M0riarty BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

It wasn’t the end of the world – but I could see it over the horizon…

My eyes popped. Open slowly everything was blurry. I was drugged up. I tried to think, did we win? Am I being transported back to the states? Not unless I was captured! Damn I just couldn’t remember.

My mind flashed. I was back to Moscow looking at a piece of glass staring back was a slightly above average height man no more than 22. A military grade haircut and an M4 rifle resting behind him; the dark thick beard made me seem 5 years older; my army camouflage made me look broader as well.

“Hey Ryan, you ready.” The woman in front of me had on urban camouflaged helmet, that didn’t conceal the blonde hair that blew gentle with the wind. I remembered her from that battle; Claire was her name, we all were supposed to reach red square, take control of the Kremlin there.

My mind flashed me back. It was dark and smelt like some type of exhaustible fuel. I couldn’t speak. I barely had enough strength to just look around. I could just barely hear the voices of someone not too far.

“I’ll be happy to drop off that panther over there.” They said. The man sounded American, and I assumed that I was who he referred to as panther.

“New York has paid a lot for this guy, why do you think him so important to these people?” Someone else asked. His voice was more British-like.

“We’re soldiers Jamie; we don’t ask questions like that, just follow orders.” The American said.

I sounded like the British guy got a little upset as the temper in his voice changed. “Have you forgotten what we went through to get him here!” he protests.

“I know what the Commanders orders were: go in get him and get out and don’t ask any questions.” He responded.

They both remained silent; suddenly I was back in Moscow again.

This time I was staring in the face of someone yelling for help. He shouted for what seemed like hours and I didn’t hear one sound. Bullets were flying all around everywhere picking off their pray like vultures feeding off the remains of a corpse.

I was camping next to a statue of the revolutionary Vladimir Lenin as machine guns were shooting at anything that moved yelling came from both sides as grenades and artillery destroys the ground I walked on, bodies were broken, and the wounded were being dragged to safety. I took a deep breath of the cold air and began to spray bullets towards the Kremlin. The bloodstained ground was hidden by the many lifeless bodies adorning it and the guns of fallen soldiers. On the other side however the battle still ensued. Many bullets flew. Cries of pain and of victory were heard until there was silence. For a brief period of time; the silence of submission: of defeat on one end and victory on the other, the silence of knowing that your best friend might be dead.

But it wasn’t; I felt a large rumble underneath as if we dived onto the ground. Fighting on both sides ceased; the hollow silence took its place, till this day I believed that it was that silence that killed us; I drained us of all life until our souls were gone. I remember watching it like a diverting screening, as the temperatures rose so did the menacing fungus-like cloud lord over the thousand like a deity watches the world.

I was frozen; if I was shot I would have never felt it, I heard soldiers on both sides calling to each other in an abortive attempt to even attempt to escape, Some around me tried to run, then there were others who silently, without another thought closed their eyes and pulled out several crucifix out of their pockets and around their neck.

I did neither it wouldn’t of made any difference anyway, never in the last three years I felt more vulnerable, so weak. I felt the pedestal that many put me on was blown away as the gaseous clouds covered the city like a blanket.
That wasn’t the end of the World—but foreshadow of what’s next

My eyes shot open like a stroke of lightning. The vivid light over my head was blinding, I raised my hands in front of me to make sure I still had activity of my limbs. I was wondering how long I was asleep; I couldn’t remember anything after Moscow, except a blinding light. I sat up from the bed, my body was full of bed sores, but I will myself towards a window.

When I stood on my feet I quickly fell to the floor, I guessed that I hadn’t moved my legs in quite some time. I crawled to the window using the rail as balance I stood back up. The blood pulsed back into my legs over time I was standing on my own power, but couldn’t really walk. I turned the dims on the windows to one which revealed a huge cityscape.

It was truly something without words it was like New York City on steroids; it was so large that the horizon was made of massive skyscrapers. I watched the yellow cab cars actually flying! Throughout the sky, it blended in perfect formation like a school of fish moving throughout the ocean.

“Where the heck are you Dan?” A sliding of a door interrupted my thoughts I spun around quickly.

The nurse looked like I was holding a gun to her face, a ghost like pale; she just stood there across the room all confused like.

I broke the silence. “Umm…hi?”

The woman ran out of the room calling out to someone; I didn’t take that as a good sign I gingerly walked back to my bed, I collapsed on the floor. God it felt like I didn’t walk in decades. I grabbed onto the legs of the bed and dragged myself towards it.

Quickly a man entered the room his heavy footsteps sounded like there was an entire squad of men coming for me, but it was just him. He looked mighty intimidating with his full, indigo, body armor his face was covered by a helmet, but I could see his eyes clearly; dark brown, with black ink underneath them. His rifle was strapped on his back and pistol was holstered to his leg.

Roughly the man grabbed me off the ground and tossed me onto the bed. I threw a punch at his breast plate, on contact my hand felt like it shattered like glass. I yelped, quickly a man ran inside and pushed him away.

“What did you him?” The other man said.

The soldier stood at attention and responded. “He was on the ground and I placed him on the bed, sir.”

“More like launched,” I mumbled.

This man was wearing a blue dress shirt and tie. He has a black overcoat. He looked to be in his late 30’s his brown hair was cut low, and had steel color eyes. The man looked to be in charge so I address him.

“Sir, are you in command here?” I asked, it was about time I got some kind of answers.

“Yes, but we will get into that later; first can you tell me who you are?” He asked in a calm manor.

I nodded. “Captain Daniel Ryan, U.S. Army 5th Division, ID 200128790 sir.” I replied.

The man dismissed the soldier who I stared at angrily. “Okay now who are you, and where am I.”

The man took in a deep breath then answered. “I am Commander Brian Reed and you are on New York.”

Sudden relief came over me as the realization I was back home sunk in. “So is the war over then; I mean it has to be if I am back in New York City.”

“Well not exactly... I mean that the war is over no doubt, but you are not in New York.”

I glared at him puzzled. “But you just said that I was in New York?” I replied.

“I said you were on New York not in Captain Ryan.”

I stood up from the bed and went to the window. “Where am I sir, and please give me a straight answer.”

“The New York you remember is gone; New York is now a planetary sector in the galaxy.”

“A what?”

“You are no longer on Earth Mr. Ryan, but Planet we call New York.”

I don’t know why, but I ran; more like limped out of the room, out of the hospital, I stepped onto the streets. It was breathtaking; millions of people on the streets, all humans the building looked to be millions of stories high. The streets were full of cars that float and hover in the air; I got on my knees in astonishment plus my legs were weak anyway.

“It’s amazing isn’t Mr. Ryan?” Reed said.

“How did this—where did this…”

“I know this is a lot to take in at once Mr. Ryan, that why I was trying to take thing slow.” He said

“When is it?” I asked.

“Excuse me Mr. Ryan?”

“The Year! What year is it?” I exclaimed.

“Now Ryan…

“What is the damn year?” I yelled.

Reed took in a deep breath reluctantly perhaps giving me the time to brace myself. “The date is September 9, 2771,” he blurred out

At that moment I nearly passed out; 2771? What was I doing for the last 700 years; everything after Moscow was a blur like a dream that I have but when I wake up it was snuffed out of my head.

“You’re lying.” Out of everything running though my head that was the only thing that I could say at that point.

Reed reached into his bag and pulled out a thin bluish tablet and passed it towards me. “Check the date Mr. Ryan,”

I snatched the news panel from him and read the date, “…September, 2771, but yesterday was December 9, 2020.” I wasn’t sure the last thing I remember before I woke up here, but I knew that when we attacked the Kremlin was on Dec 9th.

“Well that my friend was a lot of ‘yesterdays’ ago.” Reed pulled out a cigarette. “The Battle of Moscow and the end of Earth; you must forgive history for being cruel.”

“How did I get here, then?” I said as Reed helped me onto my feet.

“That is what I should ask you Captain. Do you remember anything that happened to you?”

I shook my head. “Only the flash of light at Moscow…everything else is a blur.”

I began to feel lightheaded again; one of the soldiers caught me. My vision became blurred; I remember Reed’s voice ordering the soldier to put me back into the room.

“Get some rest Captain Ryan, the answers will come soon I promise.” Doctors arrived surrounding me as black clouds crept their way into my vision.

Three Days Later

I was in debate if it was Thursday or Friday on the planet, how people keep track of these things I’ll never know, whatever day it is it was the first that I was relieved of that entire test. My muscles returned to full strength, I could walk on my own power, and eat, heck I could even do a whole bunch of pushups again.

The doctor walked in with a bag in her hand. “Mr. Ryan, it seems that you are feeling better,” She said with enthusiasm.

“Yeah feel great, so how much longer do I have to be here?” I asked.

“Actually that’s what I came here for; Once you sign here you will official be released; Commander Reed, requested that you meet him at New York Military Headquarters.”

I sat up and signed the paper and handed it back to her. “Oh Mr. Ryan here you go.” She handed me the blue bag. “Compliments of New York Military.” With that she spun on her heel and walked out, I opened the bag which had some casual clothes; gray shirt with a blue strip flowing down the center. Boot cut jeans, and dark blue combat boots.

I quickly donned the gear, it would be better to where that than the hospital gown all the way there. Everything was an exact fit, must have gotten my sizes from my army fatigues. I was lacing up my boot when the doors opened, I was expecting a doctor, but instead a slim, fair-skinned woman stood there.

I raised an eyebrow “Can I help you?”

“Doubt that you’re Daniel Ryan correct, New York Military has been buzzing about you.” She said.

She had shoulder-length blond hair, her eyes were rough but womanly, she had on a dark one-suit with a strong insignia on the left shoulder, and she wore it like a badge a police officer would wear.

“Who are you I asked standing up off of the bed. “My name is Dahlia Ross, I work for the New York Military I was assigned to escort you to HQ.”

I raised an eyebrow standing up; she fall short of eye-contact, even with those heels on, her hair shields her light blue eyes, and small nose.

“I think I could manage on my own thanks.” I moved to leave and she blocked my exit.

“I insist Mr. Ryan, Commander Reed wants to see you immediately and besides you wouldn’t know how to get there anyway.”

She turned around and walked out of my room, reluctantly I followed her outside to the parking area outside. She had a car sitting outside, surprisingly it was an Audi of some kind, the wheels were absent from the corners of the cars. Dahlia entered the vehicle, and started the engine.

“Aren’t you coming?” she asked.

I nodded entering the car. The door closed immediately after I sat down a voice flickered to life informing us of safety rules as the seatbelt smoothly connected to the edge of the seat.

“Hold on,” She instructed. I felt vibrations as the car lifted itself in the air; we were a good 2 feet off the ground before she drove down the street.

I watched all of the people below walking the streets. The feeling was indescribable I was actually flying in a hover-car. “How is this possible?”

“Anti-Gravity and Electromagnetic field between the Car and the street below us it’s one of New York’s greatest innovations.” We began driving through a tunnel.

“So why do you call it New York; Why not Keplar or Cybertron?” I asked.

“All of the colonies are named after a city or region back on Earth centuries ago.” No matter how much I hear it I will never get used to it, I still don’t remember how on Earth I got here or where ever I am.

Coming out of the tunnel I looked out into the city and saw a yellow and black electronic billboard. I’ve seen them practically everywhere, from what I seen they were a bunch of Scientist, and men in big suits.

“Those billboards are annoying I know, they are the Colonial Organization of Research and Engineering, or C.O.R.E.” Dahlia said.

“C.O.R.E? What do they do around here?”

She exhaled “Jesus what don’t they do; they practically created all of the technology we had for the last 200 years; they even built the security systems to that.” She pointed to the tallest building in that seemed to have no vertical limit. It had to be 20 times the size of the Empire State Building in old New York I guess. “That’s New York Military Headquarters all of the planets security and military runs through this building.”

“That is amazing.” I said flabbergasted.

“I believe there is a saying that said all roads lead to Rome; all transportation all over the planet goes through this building, it is also where Commander Reed commands the military from here.” She informed.

We followed the freeway. Toward the massive structure; the building itself was like a wall blocking the sunlight of the luminosity of the sun. The building was the light reflecting towards the lower levels of the planet.

We entered through the parking levels, which was two levels below.

I was wary as I exited the car with Dahlia; one thing the war does to you it makes you paranoid of your surroundings. I just learned things is never what they seem, like an elaborate puzzle, that when you finish all the final picture is you finishing that same puzzle with a person you trust aiming a gun at your head. Yeah that’s what war does to you.

I followed her towards this elevator inside was two soldiers wearing heavy body armor. I didn’t mind them at first until they address Dahlia.

“Agent Ross, haven’t seen you in a few days.” One of them said.

“I’ve been busy for a while Ortiz, you know Black Ops stuff.”

He rolled his eyes. “Of course,” He turned to me. “Who’s the green?” He asked her.

I gave him an icy glare, “I am not a green.”

“You sure look like a green…sound like one to.”

I grabbed him by his armor the other soldier pulled out his weapon. “I told you I wasn’t a damn green you heavily armored bastard.”

“I threw him back towards the wall; I had a stare off with the militia man who didn’t lower his gun I was about to make a move before Dahlia intervened.

“Ryan this is our stop.” Dahlia exited the elevator I gave the man one final glare, as I followed her out.

The man lowered his gun and tended to his friend. Dahlia looked pissed.

“You I don’t know who you are, but if you pull any stunts like that you will have to deal with me.” She threatened.

“Oh, really.” I said putting folding my arms, arrogantly.

“Yes really, here at New York Military we are a team…and an effective one too.”

“Listen… I’ve seen worse things in my life than you could imagine; fought many men who were more intimidating than you in the war.”

She gave me a confused glare. “What are you talking about? There hasn’t been a full scale war in centuries.”

I quickly changed the subject. “Is this Commander Reed’s office?” I stared at the large door in front of me.

She looked back at the glass door and nodded. I opened the door to the room; before I entered the room she grabbed my arm.

“I want an answer Ryan.” She said before releasing me.

I chuckled entering the room. His office was larger than I thought it would be there was a big monitor behind his desk the size of two of his desk combine. To the left of the office was Reed who was standing looking down at the city, I didn’t think he knew I entered at first, his face seemed sadden, but somewhat humble like which was totally different from how he behaved at the hospital.

I cleared my throat, Reed snapped back into the room. “Mr. Ryan, please come in.” He moved from the window to his desk. I moved further inside.

“One of your people told me you wanted to speak with me.” I said.

“Yes it is about a proposition; one that would be mutually beneficial.” He clarified. “Please take a seat.”

I sat down at the seat farthest from him across the room. Reed got right to the point.

“I was doing some research these last few days and found out exactly who you are; you were one of the genetically altered men from the late part of the war,” He said.

I kept up my poker face not giving away facts too soon, I still wasn’t sure either or not I could trust him or not yet.

“Forgive me but my history is not up to par; you were a highly praised soldier during WWIII; you survived quite a few battles during that time, Even the Battle of Moscow in 2020.”

“I’m sorry, but did you call me here to read me my Service Record.” I asked trying to figure out what the hell I was doing here.

“My apologies Mr. Ryan, but no I requested you because of your service record I am inviting you to join New York Military.”

I failed at keeping my cool, and started laughing hysterically, after a minute Reed cleared his throat, folding his hands on the desk.

“I’m sorry I just found it funny that you are trying to recruit me? I mean I just woke up a few days ago.” I responded,

Reed leaned in closer and began whispering, like something out of a really bad spy movie; come to think of it Reed did fit the stereotype of some kind of secret agent you would find in some movie. He wore, a blue suit, with a black tie, and had on a long dark blue overcoat, which completed the detective noir type look.

“Like I said I know what you are; trained and bred to be the ultimate soldier of war, NY military could benefit a lot from you, training tactics, combat skills; did you know that most soldiers in this organization has never fought in a war! not even a single battle?” he explained.

I folded my arms, “I thought you said this was going to be a mutually beneficial thing.”

“Well what you get out of it is that we will help you get accustom to today’s society,” Reed said,

“What makes you think that I need help adjusting?” I asked.

“Well can you fly one of those hover cars? Or how about navigating an asteroid belt with a small space-fighter; you have no money either, so I don’t know where you’re going to live.” He continued. “My people will supply you people with the skills and the means for you to go on in this day and age.”

I stood up from the chair, my eyes drifted away from him towards the window though it seemed like I could benefit from them, however I wasn’t ready to trust them or not. Figure that I wouldn’t want to become some scrooge who just wonders all over the city. I mean if I really don’t have any other options really.

“Well… I guess I’m in. What do I have to do?” I agreed.
“Report to the Training floors particular 90th floor tomorrow at Six AM sharp.” I said.
“I don’t think that training is necessary,” I argued.
“I do, Ryan; this isn’t the 21st century; we do things differently here. So I expect you to be there.”
I started for the door Reed called out to me before I stepped out.
“Mr. Ryan, since we are working together, you will address me as sir,”
I didn’t respond to him, and Reed didn’t ask me, he went back staring out the window, I walked out the door.

New York Military HQ; 6:21 am

Dahlia woke me out of bed like it I was back at West Point Academy in the Old New York. She then dragged me to this military training wing and had me do all of these endurance and weapons test not like it was a problem though; I was genetically altered to literally dance on exercises like these I did all of this and the sun now just started to creep out. I wondered what happened to 6am.

I yawned. “Dahlia can we please take a break now I’ve been running through the hoops since 3am.” I was stuck following her to another training wing in the building

“We still have a lot more to cover, you breezing through this like Commander Reed anticipated, but now here is where it get complex.” Dahlia stopped in front of the door and mechanically opened it like gates of a kingdom or something out of a Mythology movie.

She entered a large luminous white room; the room had to be the size of a football field with obstacles and fake buildings. “This is the simulation room, here is where we put you up with scenarios of this day and age and examine how you react to the situation.”

I slowly walked in, across the room I saw a dark window it didn’t seem like anyone was in there, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see some projection or something in this day and age.

“Since you are new I will start you with Level 1A” she said.

Maybe it was ego, but I was tired of all this kid stuff
. “Listen I think I could handle more than the basics. How about something more challenging.”

Dahlia raised her yellowish eyebrow. “Are you sure?”

I jogged in place and cracked my knuckles. “Oh yea…bring it.”

Dahlia looked unconvinced but in the end shrugged her arms. “Alright suit yourself.” Dahlia pressed some button on a wall panel and walked back to the door.

I stood there all hyped up and ready to go, suddenly with a cold thump my inhibition flared up like a flame on an old gas-powered stove. I froze stiff as the thing thumping became louder and louder, Dahlia closed the door behind me leaving me in a standoff with a cybernetic crab-like robot. It shaded me like an eclipse of a moon, leaving a dark feeling that perhaps was more intimidating than the machine itself.

“Let see how well you would do against our Cyber Recon and Ballistics droid or C.R.A.B if you will.” Dahlia said over the loudspeaker.

After her voice went silent the machine charged towards me, it was like a giant terminator on 4 legs; it crushed through the dozens of obstacles in the room, destroying them with ease.

I started to run around dodging a strike from the robot, it dark red optic locked on me and started chasing after me. I navigated through most of the obstacle courses which was pretty much like circus training; jumping through fake building windows. That machine not so much it literally crushed everything in its path it was like a great storm devastating everything in its path reducing everything into rubble.

My breathing became more and more intense; adrenaline pumped through my body I could feel the augmentations in my body kicking in. I began moving faster, becoming more evasive. There wasn’t a spec of darkness anywhere in the training room as I navigated; I couldn’t even hide in corners.

Running the robot made one powerful thump into the ground; it was like an earthquake leaving an echo all the way to the other end of the room. I flew at least 6 feet away, stunning me on the ground; my shoulder began to hurt like hell, but that thing was still moving. I started the get up; suddenly the large machine leg began to plunge onto me. It was quicker than a flash of lightning, by instinct alone; I grabbed the leg with my hand holding it over my chest. It was a dangerous move, but an exhilarating one as well holding the leg up with my bare-hand. I gathered my strength and pushed it away and started running.

Boy was that thing pissed I started shooting lasers at me as it pursued me, I looked up at the monitoring room where Dahlia and Reed were perhaps enjoying the show, I was distracting and tripped over a rifle on the floor; it was long maybe a few inches longer than an M16, the barrel was large like that of a shotgun, but I was desperate all I saw that it had a full clip and a trigger so I picked it up.

I dragged myself to a high point in the room, and aimed the gun; the thing was charging while I was still aiming at its optic hopefully that would be like a weak spot or something.

I felt everything became drowned out, I could only hear the sounds of its mechanical crab legs moving, and the rush pulsed through me intensely, like a person addicted to narcotics the cool pulse of adrenaline made the gun apart of my body just like my own heart.

The robot leaped in the air, I starting shooting like no tomorrow; yelling and swearing as I blindly wasted the entire clip on the machine I the sounds of lasers flying at incredible speeds stopped. I opened my eyes and saw the robot stop dead in front of me. It was still; its red optics was off it leg was hovering over my head.

“Captain Ryan!” Dahlia yelled.

I tilted my head and saw Dahlia standing at the opposite end of the room I gave that crab thing a long glance and I dashed away towards the opposite end of the room. Dahlia closed the door behind me.

“What were you doing in there?” she sounded more amused than disappointed.

“Well I almost had it, until you stopped that thing.” I tried to sound like I wasn’t to out of breath when I spoke, honestly I had no idea how to stop that thing, I just hope that I won’t run into those things anymore.

Dahlia rolled her eyes unconvinced. “Anyway we have situation in the City; Commander Reed has requested your assistance in the matter.”

I was more shocked than ecstatic, it was like being a benchwarmer that’s eager to get into the game and when that moment arrives you are paralyzed with butterflies slicing through your guts.

I gave her a more confident expression. “Well as long as I don’t run into more of those things that I’m in.”

I always have this habit of disguising my worries and nervousness with sarcasm. It one of those things as a soldier to hide or discard any feelings of fear you might feel when entering battle. I was never good at discard it though.

Minutes later we hopped into the hover car and drove down this massive 16 lane freeway towards this new area; it seems as one part of the city fades away in the distance there is another one waiting for us.

We stopped somewhere called the Brooklyn Sector. It was really a maze of rusty containers, sharp-boned cranes looking up. Looking out at the ocean you couldn't help but think of the dark army of dead men, sleeping with the fishes, hiding in the blackness of the water.

When we arrive the action was getting good
a man was holding a family hostage demanding for a shuttle that would take him off world. Heh, where people see a maniac holding a family hostage at gun point, I see a poor, dumb bastard just crying for attention. I mean who would want to go to a black empty void where you are more insignificant than being scum on this planet.

According to the soldiers he was doing pretty well for himself; barricades and invisible force fields things surrounding the house, he either thought this through really well or was extremely lucky. But I got news for him everyone’s luck run out. If Lady Luck was a hooker, he would be fresh out of cash.

“I have to get in there Dahlia.” I said.

She glared over to me. “Are you crazy he might kill the family, there are children! We don’t want them anymore traumatized than they are now.”

“I can take him down,” I said.

A soldier who overheard butted in on the conversation. “What makes you so different from the rest of us?” he said.

I leaned in close to him. “I’m sorry, but how many bullets have you dodged?”

The man was silent and walked away. He looked pretty amused at my bold statement. Well during my training I with a bunch of others would have live target practice, with us actually being the targets. It was at the time to best way for the government to test are enhanced reflexes.

I stood up and pulled out this long black overcoat out of a nearby car; it was clearly just come from a tailor or cleaners, whatever it’s called in the future. The only reason I went for it was because if I wanted to appeal to this guy than wearing a shirt that had a giant NY military insignia on it wasn’t the best plan.
I walked slowly. Moving past, Dahlia and the dozens of military soldiers who stood blockading the house on all sides. I was halfway there, standing in the gap between the soldiers and whatever lies inside. I pressed onwards the sun was saying its final goodbyes in the sky above me. Sweat rolled down from my pours; as I took in a deep inhale of cold air into my lungs I moved into the force field.
The sound of his rough raspy voice shook me as I walked. The second that I walked through that field he knew I was there.
“You there…STOP!” he yelled. I couldn’t see him, he sounded close like he was behind the door talking. “You make any funny moves I’ll make these kids into Orphans!” he threatens.
“Listen I am not one of these guys, my name is Ryan,” I said.

“Don’t try and talk me out of this I am 100 percent serious and there is nothing that is going to change that.” He continued. “Why the heck am I even talking to you? I said I didn’t want to hear any lip from you blues unless I hear word that my shuttle is ready. “

“You know that shuttle isn’t coming, by now; they are just saying that to get you to not kill the people.” I tried to remain inconspicuous; as I was talking I slowly made my way to the door.

“Wha--- what do you mean that it’s not coming, do they think I am a joke!” he began to get more excited.

“It because they don’t care about you man only the hostages matter, that why if you don’t give up, then you are going to gun you down.” As I moved closer I tried to make my voice seem more and softer, to give the illusion that I was still standing in the same place.

“Listen man I know you’re in the force field and if you moved from that spot—”

“Then what give these people more reason to have you killed? There is no way your getting out of this alive if you hurt anyone in there.” My voice was incredibly low; possibly he was the only one that could hear me talk. I was standing only inches away from the door; his voice was incredibly loud at this point

“Listen man I –
Quickly I kicked the door down; force made him flew into the hallway. The man through the woman he was holding when he fell. He turned around and aimed his gun at me. Quickly I tilted to the left, as the bullet flew past and vaporized in the force field.
I turned back around, the man quickly ran through the back door. I perused quickly I maneuvered though an unimaginable maze of buildings and people, It resembled a lot of the New York City I remembered; the pattern and uniqueness of all of the building s, the epitome of human ingenuity.
I followed him down the streets of the city I chased him down and tackled him about five blocks away from the hostage scene. The man kicked me off and started off. I pictured this so much easier in my head.
I took in some air and sprinted after him using all of my superhuman speed I grabbed him by his jacket and leg swept him onto the ground.
“I knew it! I knew you were a blue!” he yelled.
I smirked, “I’m not one of them. I am a soldier,” I replied.
“Mercenary scum,” he mumbled.
I picked him up and grabbed him off of the aluminum sidewalk. I placed his arms behind him and dragged him back. Dahlia was met me halfway in a Police car, and New York Military took it from there.
Dahlia actually had a clear smile on her face. “I have to admit I was impressed.” She said.
“The arrest? It was nothing; surely your people are more than capable of handling things here.” I replied.
“Not that, you dodge a bullet, literally! I’ve never seen anything like it.” Dahlia, said.
I shrugged I guess that there are some training I had came in handy today, but I was still out of shape really. I entered Dahlia’s car with her and we started driving.
“Were we going now?” I asked.
“I have a surprise for you Mr. Ryan courtesy of New York Military.”
The sun completely set by the time we arrived the building was a tall high rise, it was nowhere as big as Military HQ it had beige and brown exterior, a sign at the door that said Roosevelt Building.
Dahlia escorted inside up to the 10th floor of the building. She opened the second door on the left, it was a spacious apartment, furniture and television was neatly in the living room. The walls nicely painted, and the windows save an excellent view of a nice area of city.
“Commander Reed thought it would suit you nice.” Dahlia said.
“You mean that this is for me?” I said.
“Yeah Reed would cover the expenses for you until you get on your feet, he wants you know he understands your condition and wish to help in any way possible.” She said.
I stood in the middle of the apartment just staring at everything, around; all of the technology was so different there were digital interfaces in both the kitchen and bathroom.
“I don’t know what to say Dahlia.” I said astonished.
“Well I should assume you must be tired, and ready to lie down. I will see you tomorrow Mr. Ryan.”
“No, Stay I insist.” I said.

Dahlia tilted her head; she turned around and closed the door behind her. I went into the refrigerator and grabbed a couple of glasses and wine. I handed her a glass and sat next to her on the sofa.

“I know you must have questions Dahlia; about me, and what I can do.” I said, it felt like the first time in a while that I actually dominated a conversation.

“Well yes; you dodged a bullet today, I have never even seen something like that, just heard it in old urban legends just what the hell are you Dan Ryan.”

I took a deep breath before answering. It was hard trying to explain 5 years of history in less than 20 minutes, but I gave it a shot. “Where I come from…or should I say when I come from there was this horrible war, one that shook the world at its core. Technology advanced at new heights, making more effective weapons of death and destruction. The casualties were in the millions within the first week.”

Dahlia leaned in closer with her head resting on her smooth silky hand. “so how did you fit into this?” She asked

“Well,” I continued. “With people dying left and right both sides looked into ways to create stronger better soldiers to withstand the technology. They created a Virus, that can create the perfect soldier, but there was a catch; it only worked with a specific select few of men and women; People with a proper genetic structure pattern it bonds with anyone else would be killed instantly.”

I placed my glass on the table, “I was only seventeen. Seventeen! I couldn’t vote, heck I couldn’t even buy a pack of cigarettes. But they ripped me away from my family.” I pulled out a strand of my brown hair and showed it to her. “Because of this…this cursed genetic code. I was sent to war”
I got up from the sofa and stared at the window, I felt like yelling expressing all of my anger and sorrow in one powerful roar. It would have been a cry actually, I don’t normally breakdown especially not in front of damn strangers. It’s been a lot realizing, just thinking about the fact that I would never see any of my family. My Mother, Brother, and Sister just gone, like a flame on a candle just blown away forever.
I started feeling all depressed at that point; Dahlia emerged behind me placing her hand on my shoulder. “I’m sorry, Ryan I know it’s not easy losing family.” She shifted in front of me. “You just have to press on; if you are a soldier like I know you are then you understand why you need to move on.”

I looked into her hazel eyes and knew that she wasn’t lying; she understood what it meant to lose family, and desires. It might have been an accident, but I felt like I was looking into her soul when she spoke, the kindred spirit surrounded by a cold exterior colder than the devil's heart, that began to suddenly warm.

“I thank you for the kind words Dahlia, but…I just want my family back.” I replied. I began to stroke her fair cheek gently, before I even realized it.

I felt the gap between us close up like the spacious apartment becoming a cell, bounded by emotions and hormones and the only way to break free is to lose ourselves in them.

“We all have wants Ryan…” she trailed off as her lips softly made contact with mine. She backed away. I stared at her, she responded with this glare in her eye; one I haven’t seen in a while in a woman it was a pool of yin yang inside of me, I wanted to stop right there; but temptation was like a juggernaut; one it get started it keeps building no matter how hard you fight.

She said that we all have wants; I wanted a lot at that moment; A smoke. A drink. The sun to shine. I want to sleep to forget. To change the past, but Right then and there, more than anything, I wanted her.
Slowly I pressed my lips against hers. Her back was against a wall, me leaning into her. One hand was around her waist, and the other behind her head. In those moments I could feel her, her sorrows, her pain, but also her passion.

We kissed for what seemed like another 700 years, slowly one by one our clothes began to hit the ground one by one, each piece of clothing bolder than the last. We drifted towards the back room; everything was so neat and organized like a fresh-faced recruit’s footlocker we pounced onto of the bed and began kissing more passionately than I ever thought possible.

I actually forgot why I was so discouraged in the first place.

(One year later)

War. No one ever wins at it.

Surrounded on all sides, the dead’s silence was an ominous sound, a dark dust cloud covered the skies like a veil, you couldn't help but think of the dark army of dead men, cement shoes in line. No Minotaur lurked in this labyrinth, but somewhere out there, on the clanking deck of his cargo freighter, the skipper of the Charon was waiting, like the ferryman of the river Styx. I laid there wondering if my time was next. My eyes closed…
Awake. I shot up from my bed. I hated sleeping at times; the past had a talent for creeping inside of my mind. It’s like a gaping hole in your head. You try to run from it, but the more you run, the deeper, more terrible it grows behind you, its edges yawning at your heels. Your only chance is to turn around and face it. But it's like looking down into the grave of your love, or kissing the mouth of a gun, a bullet trembling in its dark nest, ready to blow your head off.
Not to mention It has been year ago today when I awoke from stasis. But Centuries passed when I arrived here on this distant planet. After WWIII the Earth became completely uninhabitable and thus a new age of imperialism began. The countries of the old world split apart and now controlled their own sectors of space.

The planet I was on was ironically called New York; the entire planet was one big city it was considered the second Earth at times since it was the closest planet to it. I continued watching the dozens of hover cars and speeders zoom past my apartment building it was about 3:45 AM (N.Y. Time Zone).

Despite the bright billboards and the giant news screen which draws you in like a moth to a flame I kept my eye on the New York Military Headquarters. I’ve been working with these guys since I woke up from stasis; they helped me adjust a lot to this time period. Kept my mind off the past too.

There was a knock at the door. I was wondering who would be knocking at this time of night, I made my way to the door and opened.

“That’s an interesting way to greet a friend.” she said, she noted that I had on nothing but some trousers. I mean it not like I would dress up to answer the door at 3am

“Dahlia? What are you doing here this time of night?” I asked. We have been partners since day three. We mostly had a relationship between soldiers other than a romantic one, save only that one night we had a while back other than that it was strictly professional. She had her blonde hair wrapped around in a bun which means she just left the HQ; she still had on her black uniform pants and boots. She carried her jacket over her shoulder; I moved out of the way to let her in.

She took the hint and walked inside. The yellowish light from the billboards pretty much lighted the room from there. She sat down on the couch and handed me a quarter-empty bottle of liquor.

“I figured you would be awake at this time on account of what today is.” She said, reaching for a glass. She slid over on the couch to make room for me to sit. I didn’t pay it any mind.

I continued looking out of the window into the city. “That’s not the only reason, is it?” I asked.

“Well…no I also though you would like some company I know this must be hard—“

“No it’s not, I just continue on day-by-day just like anyone else in this city!” I interrupted.

“Dan, you know it’s not what I mean. You were in that pod for 750 years and I thought you would like to talk.” She stood up and approached me. “All you do all day is go to work and come back home without barely saying a word to anybody.

She placed her hand on my shoulder; I roughly brushed her arm off me.

It angered me that as nice as Dahlia was she actually fooled herself into thinking she understood me. She doesn’t have the slightest clue of what I went through in that war, and I sure as hell wasn’t going to tell her. I had no room for friends or companions; they all died a long time ago.

“Dahlia I know what you are trying to do, I don’t need a ‘best friend’ I did just ok without one this past year,” I snapped. It didn’t really sound like it with my emotionless voice; I changed to a calmer tone. “I thank you for your concern Dahlia, but I just want to be left alone.

She conceded and gulped down her drink. I still stared out the window, but I could tell she stood back up.

“Alright Dan, but I really hope you get whatever’s eating at you off your chest one day.” With that she left my apartment with a gentle close of the door.

I let out a heavy sigh and collapsed on the couch. I noticed the bottle of liquor on the small coffee table, alongside a note written on a napkin.

I picked it up and started reading:

(ZETA) 2581101

In case you get that stick out of your ass give me a call

--Dahlia

I shook my head and laid there on the couch trying to drift off into sleep. Trying to forget the past and focus on the present…future whichever. Unfortunately that didn’t work out; I poured myself a tall glass of wine and raised it up high. “Dan Ryan welcome to the future.”

New York Military Headquarters

9:16 AM (NYTZ)

I waltzed into work…16 minutes late at HQ. N.Y. Military was full of the best pilots and soldiers on the planet; I was still used to the old branches. Now they were all compressed into three the Army of soldiers who mainly enforce the law around here; Navy which were the fleets of Battleships and destroyers in space above us; and then there were the Black Ops; the best of the three composed of a group of people from both the Army and Navy I was among them along with Dahlia as my pilot and advisor.

“Agent Ryan,” voice called from afar.

Now what did they all have in common?

“It’s nice of you to show your face around here.” he said.

All of the branches answered to one man…

“Reed, what can I do for you, sir,” I said.

Military Commander Brian Reed was a total rich boy. His family helped build this planet like 700 years ago, and comes from a long line of high ranking military officials. I didn’t know much about him outside of his work in the building save that he was older than me by at least a decade or so. Was a very powerful fighter and soldier and highly efficient and by the book.

“You’re always straight to the point Ryan,” Reed acknowledged. “Walk with me back to my office,” He said.

We began to walk across the huge main area of the building past the large screens and holograms.

“I received a message from the Prime Minister of New Britain in the mid-rim.”

“I assume that’s good news,” I replied slowly.

Reed pressed the elevator button then combed his short brownish hair with his fingers. He usually does that when he’s nervous or excited. “As a matter a fact it is; they will finally sign on with the rest of our allies and join Alliance of Independent Colonies. Do you know what this means?” There was actual excitement in his voice.

I shrugged at the steel-eyed man. “I guess I am one step closer to being unemployed.” I entered the elevator, followed by Reed.

“Of course not Dan, New York will always need its finest,” Reed assured.

The elevator zipped upward dozens of floors; New York Military is the largest and tallest building on the entire planet the roof of the building reaches nearly the middle of the troposphere the elevator opened directly outside from his office. We both entered; Reed took his seat behind the desk in front of a huge window that overlooked most of the city.

“Boss, you know how the world is. When you find someone younger and more skilled you kick the older and more experienced ones to the curb, it was like that then and it is now.” I explained.

“That’s…such a negative view of the world, but there is truth in your words. But where would I find someone as… unique as you Ryan?” I conceded to The Commander and remained silent. Reed changed topic and turned to the view screen. “You will be on security duty while he is on this planet, making sure his needs are well met and looking out for anything suspicious. He’ll be arriving at the airport at 11.”

“That sounds simple enough,” I said starting for the door.

“I’ll tell Dahlia to drop you off at the airport.” He informed.

I then started thinking about early this morning about she seemed kind of mad when she left, Me and Dahlia has been partners since I first started working for the Military it’s just that I didn’t want to open my whole life story to her, I didn’t want a friend.

“Great,” I said a little unreassuringly as I exited.
I took the elevator to the tenth floor of the building, I rarely visit the part of the base, because of all of the other agents who would get slick with their mouths and I would have of ended up in fight, so I stay out of here unless dahlia, brings me around.

Second one in the lounge, and everyone stared at me, gamblers rested their cards on the table, and the slightly intoxicated soldiers put down their beers, a few wore their police uniforms while others had on a blue tank top with the Military logo on the right hand corner, I had on my sunglasses like I usually do, and walk passed the gazing crowd.

“Well if it isn’t the great super-soldier himself. What brings you here with the rest of the grunts?” One of them sat at the bar table in front of me. I could tell he was well intoxicated, I could tell the guy was an ordinary soldier without giving him eye contact.

“I’m looking for Agent Ross, you seen her?” I asked sitting next to me.

The soldier flashed a perverted smile when I mentioned Dahlia. He reeked of cheap imported wine, when he spoke. “That Gorgeous-looking partner of yours, she’s on the landing pad, I guess she’s looking for you as well.” he said.

I turned to leave, but before he grabbed onto the sleeve to my coat. I sneered at him in my head trying to show restraint. I took a deep breath and sat back down next to him.

“Is there something else?” I asked.

“Yeah, dude you need to lighten up a little or you will earn these guys’ respect.” he said.

I raised my eyebrow. “Excuse me.”

“Come on, Dahlia is an incredible soldier and friend. She cares for you Ryan, and wants nothing, but to make sure you fit in this new society. Try to treat her better, Ryan.”

The psychiatrist of a soldier went back to his drink. I couldn’t help but to feel what he said was true, Dahlia was with me since day one. I relied on her for much, and I sure as hell would have never adapted to this place if I’ve never met her.

My misplaced anger caused her upset with me and she deserves to be angry, I had to talk to her to make it right. “Thanks for the advice.”

“That’s what soldiers do, Ryan perhaps you forgotten that.”

Planet New York: Manhattan Sector

9:58
AM
Dahlia picked me up from HQ a good 10 minutes earlier. She would barely say anything to me through the whole trip. She was obviously hurt by what I said or she wouldn’t be giving me the cold shoulder. Now it was up to me; if I don’t correct the problem now it will come and bite me later.

“So Dahlia, why would this guy need protecting?” I asked, trying to put a little life in my voice.”

She rolled her eyes to me keeping her body focused on driving. “This guy is an idealist; he leads a movement to limit power of the all the corporations in the colonies which means, more money in people’s hands and a weakened influence in some governments.”

“So I guess big business is not too happy about that.” I said.

“Nope, there have already been three assassination attempts on him” Dahlia responded.

There was silent between us the sounds of the other hover cars and speeders drifted away. Let out a heavy gulp that hit my stomach like an atom bomb,’ It’s now or never Dan’ I said in my head.

“Look Dahlia about last night, I’m sorry I know your trying to help, but it’s been hard coming to peace now that my family and friends are gone.” I said.

She grabbed my gloved hands that were on my lap. I looked up at her where she smiled. “My Mother worked for New York Special Intelligence and had to kill my father when I was 2 years old.”

I turned my head and looked at her surprised. “Dahlia I had no idea.”

“That’s why it is not wise to assume Dan.” At that moment I felt like a total jerk to Dahlia, If I wasn’t such a selfish ass, perhaps things wouldn’t so tense between us.

The Rain stated about 10 minutes after we arrived I stared up at the sky and saw a Y-class shuttle touched down on the surface landing pad it was a low hum for a second and the transports doors on the port side opened.

Just as I anticipated he was average height, nothing about him was distinguishable, fancy hairstyle like any other politician. I guess something no matter the time never changes.

On assignments like these I let her do all of the talking I stood behind her.

“Prime Minister Davis it’s an honor.” Dahlia said.

“The Pleasure is mine.” He spoke with a European Dialect.

I still wasn’t sure how politics worked around here being around Dahlia and the Prime Minister made me feel like the guy who is sitting next to two people speaking a totally different language.

“Where are my manners I am Prime Minister Winston Davis, what may I call you.” The Englishman extended his hand to me. I didn’t really bother to meet his hand; instead I folded and looked at him.

“My name is not important—my duty is…sir.” I replied.

Dahlia intervened quickly closing the gap between us. “You’ll have to forgive him he…is not a fan of politics sir.”

“It’s quite alright; I would love to hear the view of someone who holds a distaste of galactic politics.” He said.

“I don’t have a view on your idea of democracy if you must know; now I suggest we leave this landing site sir.”

The Prime Minister nodded in agreement. “Lead the Way.”

As he began walking Dahlia gave me a ‘what the hell are you doing’ stare. As they continued on I approached the shuttle to pick up one of the Englishmen’s duffle bags. Then Shuttle in front of me exploded; it burst in to flames as metal scattered all around. The shockwave pushed me back and crashed onto the ground in front of it. I stood back to my feet my first instinct was to look over at Dahlia and Davis; his guards had him prone to the ground as Dahlia aimed her gun around us. We all looked around the area in case of some sort of an ambush. The flames started to die down as the rain continued.

I didn’t want to be around here looking so exposed. “Dahlia!” I shouted. “Get the Prime Minister into the car.” I yelled.

Instantly she rounded him up and enters the large Black hover car. I shortly followed.

The Next Day

“Dahlia I don’t get it; what the hell happened.” I asked.

Dahlia and I stood out on the balcony of the prime ministers heavily guarded penthouse. The already large amount of protection around the Davis was doubled, having turned a fancy hotel suite in the heart of the city into a fortress.

I couldn’t stop thinking about that explosion at the landing pad. I doubted that anyone else was around, but it was obviously an assassination attempt. More or likely it seemed like it was a timed explosive on the counts that my scanner on my risk detected no other heat signatures save for the prime ministers, his bodyguards and us. We took extra precautions, interrogating each of the bodyguards and preventing them from being but so close to the Prime Minister, in case it was an inside job.

“Dan, Commander Reed, has ordered a full investigation, and prohibits anyone except for us to get close to Davis so, stop worrying.” Dahlia said.

What worried me was that they miscalculated they must have anticipated him still being on the shuttle in the time of the explosion. It gave me slight relief that they were a little sloppy, but catching them before they strike again would be a difficult feat.

“But what if they try it again Dahlia?” I protest.

“Then we take care of it Dan, I’m going to check on the Prime Minister Try to get rid of all of the paranoia while I’m gone.”

I sat down on the couch of Minister’s Davis penthouse hotel. I still didn’t trust the guy, but he had the most exquisite taste. Davis entered the main area of the hotel room. He was dressed in his suit his hair was trimmed and beard was shaved clean.

“Are you ready Mr. Ryan?” He asked quickly. I noticed the hint of nervousness in his voice. He was only about 38 years old; one of the youngest world leaders in the colonies. His signature on a piece of paper would create the peace humanitarians from my time were searching for, everyone thought after WWIII was over we would have world peace and prosperity for years to come. That was the goal for all soldiers; at least their only 750 years late when it comes to world peace. Not to mention someone was trying to kill him yesterday.
“Relax sir; everything will go smoothly NY Military bumped up security so it would alright.” I assured. “Not to mention that you have the best agents watching your back.”

He removed his glasses and sat on the couch “I know, I know but I am still a little worried about the whole ‘alliance treaty thing’.” He joked.

I found it ironic that Davis cared more about signing a piece of paper, than his own well-being figuring that I shouldn’t remind him of the threat against him I continued the conversation. “Come on man you should be excited you’re about to bring world unity and peace.” I said.

“Galactic Unity.” He corrected.

“Right…”I said awkwardly.

A man came inside the room donning the New York Military Heavy Combat Armor. “Sir, the van is here.” He informed under his helmet.

With that he both stood up and smirked at me.

“Show time.”

Alliance of Independent Colonies HQ

11:45 AM (NYTZ)

The van stopped in front of the Alliance HQ. There were thousands of people that surrounded the building waiting for the very second that the treaty would be signed. I watched as the Prime Minister took a deep breath and opened the door to the van. The sky was a shade of indigo with three large moons appears to blend nicely with the sky. There was cheers and claps all around us. It was like we were treated like celebrities here, security made it so the civilians wouldn’t get too close to him there were patrols all over the rooftops for half-a-mile.

We proceeded into the building. The interior were full of mementos from the pre-colonization days or whatever they call it. Despite my trip down memory lane what really grabbed my attention was the list of the fallen; a holographic chart of all the soldiers that died in World Wars II, and III. I skimmed it quickly for my name. I found the names of Clare and others I knew; Of course my name it wasn’t up there.

I shook the sad thoughts from my head and opened the doors into the conference room. It was an incredibly large dome made out of some glass. There was a large view of the courtyard where the people watch eagerly inside. Commander Reed greeted the Davis with a brief handshake. I took my position near the door and contacted Dahlia.

“How are thing on your end Dahlia.” I said to my earpiece.

“Everything good security is in position and security scanning’s clean.” She informed.

“Keep an eye out for anything they already made one mistake I doubt they’ll make another.” I said softly.

“Doubt it, but alright.” Dahlia ended communications.

I turned back attention to the leaders and focus on Reed who was receiving a standing ovation as he stood up. He raised his hand and there was immediate silence.

“Leaders from all throughout the colonies humanity have a short history; there were wars, sacrifices, and bloodshed that led us here; the bloodshed, and sacrifices of all the fallen soldiers of the dreadful World War III, but more importantly the sacrifice of our ‘Old Mother Earth.’” He took a pause from speaking and then continued on. “From that point on humanity vowed that we will form a new, better world from the ashes of the past. We dedicate our lives to science and technology; we live in an era of peace, and prosperity, where there is no poverty, no corruption, humanity has created…a utopia.”

I wanted to laugh out at the thought of an actual utopia. It was something out of a mythology book if you ask me; I was actually ashamed that I didn’t speak out.

Reed continued with his speech. “Now in the year 2772 we will began a new chapter, our ancestor and forefathers once thought of and dreamed of this moment; today in the year 2772 we make it a reality. Starting together we will press on not as divided remnants of an old world, but as a whole galaxy. Now without further a due I present to you Prime Minister Winston Davis of New Britain.”

The room began to clap intensely as the Davis stood to his feet, the flash of cameras were all around the room. The fiery joy had quickly turned sour as the glass in the window shattered. It all happened so fast. As quickly as I blinked the Prime Ministers body hit the canvas of the stage. All hell broke loose papers flew everywhere the leaders duck under the large table they sat around. I then heard Reed shouting at me.

“Ryan the shot came from the building across.”

I sprang into action. Running faster than any human in existence, I broke through the already broken glass into the courtyard. I examined the area quickly and caught a glimpse of a person sprinting across the street. This time I didn’t waste time thinking I chased after them.

I saw them move down a wide street. I couldn’t open fire on them since it was overly populated. I kept following them down the street; the Doppler Effect kept messing with my earpiece so I couldn’t if Dahlia was trying to speak with me I saw the guy make a hard left turn into an alley. I continued on as he went into an apartment building his faint footsteps persistently echoed from the staircase. I dashed up using my super-speed I took my gun out aimed in front of me.

The door about 2 floors above burst opened. Fortunately for me that was the roof— and a dead end. It was about time I got some answers to all of this crap. Kicking the door ferociously I aimed my gun at…a woman!

“Put your hands up lady, you are under arrest for attempted homicide.” I said.

She completely ignored me, instead of doing what I instructed she glared at me intently with her small green eyes, and flashed, a smile.

She removed her gray jacket revealing she was wearing a sliming black tank top.

“You know you shouldn’t pick up a girl without asking for their name first.” She had a voice that fit perfectly with her tall slim body.

“No games lady put your hands where I can see him.” I commanded.

“Names, Athena Chambers perhaps you’ve heard of me?” she slowly approached me.

I shrugged “Can’t say that I do.”

Her only response was a smile. “I thought you would be smarter Dan Ryan.” Her seductive voice faded away.

“How do you—
She moved incredibly fast, knocking the gun from my hand and kicking me back, I couldn’t even retaliate before I realized she stood over me with the gun in her hand aimed at me. I took a deep breath steadying myself for the attack that was sure to come. Preemptively I swept her from under her feet and, causing her to drop the gun ran towards her landing a punch across the side of her face, I didn’t go all out in my attacks, not only because she was a woman, but also I needed her neutralized.
Recovering quickly the woman turned raising her leg and aiming a kick into my stomach. While I weaved out of her boot’s way she took advantage and slammed her fist with as much force as she could muster into my jaw. I stumbled backwards shocked my advance reflexes should have allowed me to anticipate her move, I stood up from one knee which she didn’t allow me to get back up and kicked backwards where I fell onto my back.

I stared up at the cloudless sky astonished, my reflexes were faster than any human ever, and she took down my defenses with ease. She quickly aimed her pistol at my head.

The woman tilted her head. “You were saying.”

“How did you do that?” I said panting.

“Please I know all my targets.” She interrupted. “No records, no family, No bank accounts. You’re a damn ghost. It took me a year to gather whatever information I have on you now longer than most.”

I chopped her leg and flipped her down to the floor. I leaned onto of her aiming the gun to her head. “Well then…you need to do more research.” I responded.

She laughed which made me want to shoot her there, but I showed restraint plus this woman needed to be interrogated.

“You find something funny.” I shot.

“Did you think you are here by chance? I led you here everything is being orchestrated by me. You impress me; first the explosion at landing platform, and now this.”

I shoved the gun in her face, but she gave me this blank confident stare. “What are you talking about? That explosion was targeted for the Prime Minister o---

“Please Ryan that man is a young and naive fool who too weak to lead his planet. Davis being dead was just the bonus, you Ryan was the main prize.”

Lost in my thoughts she socked me in my gut. By reflex I shot a round onto the ground, but the woman already rolled out of the way. She moved quickly hoping to jump off the rooftops. I grabbed her quickly and tossed her at the wall my hand was pressed on her throat.

“You lying Witch! This was never about me, Never! If that was the case what was all of this today about. Explain than Madam Sherlock!”

“It was a diversion to get you to follow me here; all about knowing your targets.” She leaned in a close as my hand would allow her. “And you fell right into my fingers.”

I squeezed the trigger, but no bullets popped out. I pulled out the clip which was empty. I stood there amazed that my gun which had a full magazine ends up empty.

Quickly soldiers swarmed all around me; not New York Military, but heavily armored soldiers, they wore yellow and black armor they descended on the roof of the building and the one adjacent to where we were, their helmets blocked their entire face the light from the sun reflected off of their visors.

I felt warmness as the yellow dots from their rifles aimed at me, that’s a feeling that is the scariest a solider endures in life, makes you feel like a duck being lined up for a shot.

“Stand down Ryan!” the soldier commanded.

I looked back at her who had a victory smirk on her face. The soldiers fired at the ground next to my feet. I was still holding her.

“Stand Down! Ryan!” they repeated.

“Friends of yours I see.” I said to poised woman

“I’m only friends with those who pay me more.” She responded. “So what are you going to do; kill yourself or Surrender?”

I looked back at the soldiers who were waiting to fire, just Damn it all; damn soldier and damn the woman who caused all of this. I had no choice me being dead won’t solve anything; in this scenario wisdom prevails over brute strength.

I reluctantly released the woman who rolled over and walked over to the soldiers. I put my hands over my head. I could feel the soldiers moving closer to me it was a feeling of being defeated, outsmarted; however you want to sugarcoat it. Soon after, one of the soldiers hit their gun in the back of my head.

Everything else was blank, I only heard one thing before I truly drifted away.

“Icarus”

The dust settled. Bodies all around, a sea of death surrounds me. A once prosperous city, lays broken and in ruins. I looked up at figures flying over my head. ‘Angels? ‘I thought. Then again what would angels want with horrible war-driven killers. I saw the figure touch down, it was a helicopter. By instinct alone I moved closer doing anything I can to get them to notice me moving. My body felt compressed, heavier, but I continued on.

I watched a group rush over towards me.

“Stay with us Ryan.” I don’t know who said it.

Everything faded to black.

Awake. My eyes shot open and instantaneously sat up. I was in a medical bed. The blind blocked the sun from entering the room. My heart finally started to ease down. I began to curse at my photographic memory.

“Jeez what the heck you dream about.” A familiar voice said. I looked over to the door on the far side and smiled. The woman from the city stood in the doorway. She ran her hand through her dark curly hair; I noticed three green marks that she had on the side of her face that matched her green eyes.

“You must have had on hell of a nightmare to be screaming like that.” She joked.

I rose up from the bed and walked over to her. “Lady you have 10 seconds to tell me what the hell is going on!” he exclaimed.

“First of all: the names Athena, second of all: you are not in any predicament to be demanding anything.” She said with such venom, as she pointed towards my belt.

I can’t believe that I didn’t see the Rhineland issued Class 5- Shock belt around my waste, the belt itself was made from an augmented version of steel and delivers 3000V of energy, for a normal person they would probably be dead. For me…it was best for me not to make any moves on her. I then realized I was no longer wearing my black coat and combat fatigues, they were replaced by a black, pocket less jumpsuit with a yellow line trailing down on the right side. The realization of all of this sunk in. I was stuck I had no idea where I was, or what she was going to do with me. It would be stupid to actually try making a run for it then. Then again if she knows me as well as she claims then it there I definitely won’t get far. To break out of this place I would need information. I dismissed my thoughts and turned back my attention to Athena.

“Where am I?” I demanded.

Athena shrugged me away from her. “You are on an isolated station funded by C.O.R.E.”

I didn’t know much about the group Core except they are this big organization that pretty much created all the technological innovations for god knows how long. Most of The Colonies military contracts comes from these people, what I wanted to know is when did they upgrade to kidnapping.

She shook her head irritated and stormed out of the door behind her. She tugged me along because the belt couldn’t be far from the controller or it would painfully shock me. There was a large hallway the only light around us came from the ceiling above us. I tried calling out to her, in which she ignored.

It was only about half way down where she stopped and faced a large painting, it was a large image of a man flying to the sun I was totally stumped the painting looked old as if. After her stare off with the picture Athena turned her green eyes on me.

“You must be real important if they went through all of this trouble.” she finally said.

I moved in front of her before she began to walk. Athena sneered at me, but I didn’t care what predicament I was in; I wanted answers.

“,Athena look, I want to know who they are and what do they want.” I said.

Athena shrugged. “There is not much I know about these people except that they must have a lot of money to offer me what they did, and as for you second question: ask them yourself.”

Athena shoved my hand out of the way and continued walking. Reluctantly I followed her. The rest of the walk was silent until we reached a large door. My heighten senses allowed me to hear several people behind the door. Without hesitation or warning she burst through the door.

The room became silent it was everyone had their eyes fixated on me despite a mad woman just stormed into the room. There were at least 14 people wearing similar business suit sitting around a large black table all the way at the end of the room was a large seat and desk the chair faced the window staring out at what seemed to be an purple nebula.

“Athena…welcome back. I believe a job well done is in order.”

The chair spun around revealing the fair skinned man. His hair was jet black like Athena but shorter and nicely combed, and really didn’t stick out much. What were really unique were his eyes, they were a crimson red that looked like the suns from an old Sci-Fi movie. They were also cold and calculating perhaps a foreshadowing of what this man is truly like.

He took a long pause staring at me it felt like he was cutting right through me like a drill. “It is an honor to finally meet you Daniel Ryan.”

Athena intervened. “Ok I got him here so now where’s my money.”

The man chuckled. “Don’t worry you will be paid soon enough.” He turned to the group quietly observing us. “Now if you excuse us I would like to have a word with Mr. Ryan.”

Almost instantly the group disbanded out of the room. Athena took a good stare at me and followed them out.

“I am glad to see that your abilities are still intact after all that time.” He said. Around me the room began to change the black table at the center of the room descended into the floor and two chairs took its place. The man took his seat behind the desk.

“Enough with the ‘nice guy act’ who are you people, and what do you want from me?” I exclaimed.

He folded his hands and rested them under his nose. “We. We are humanity.” he finally said.

“Ok what?” I said discombobulated.

“Haven’t you noticed it the buildings, the monorails, even more recently the battleships, and hover-crafts we created all of it…including you.” he stood up from his chair.

“Explain yourself.” I said.

He sighed before he spoke. “Very well: as you know 750 years ago Earth fought in the inevitable WWIII. The violent and most technologically advanced of the three, The United States desperately needed stronger soldiers to combat Russia constantly advancing technology. Then we answered their cries.”

“The Augmentation Program.” I finished.
He nodded. “Today we are called C.O.R.E.; The Colonial Organization of Research and Engineering, back then we were just scientist working for the United States government. The altercation of the Genetics and senses were better than they anticipated, with the creation of super soldiers things started to change for the Americans.

I slammed my hands on the desk. “I don’t want history lesson, what does any of this have to do with me?” I spat.

“Everything! There are no more super soldiers around if you hadn’t noticed, all of the work, the test the notes they all were destroyed with the Earth, you are all that’s left. They did not put you in that damn stasis chamber because they want you to survive. You were a conduit to be brought to future. You were like you always was…a tool.”

I gritted my teeth together. I couldn’t tell if he was telling the truth or not, hell I don’t even know myself why I was in stasis it was all forced upon me, but it make sense I was the only one they saved that day, no one else.

“It has been 700 years for Christ-sake you’ve could of created millions of super soldiers in amount of time.” I argued.

“We’ve tried, but our ‘attempts’ cause serious mutations to occur within the subjects.” He explained. “You were the only one whose body didn’t reject it.”

I could tell that this man was insane. He couldn’t imagine how life has been to me. I became a super-soldier because I wanted to save humanity, instead I lost my own, I forgotten what it was like to truly be happy, or sad, to love or be loved I never cried for my friends and family since I came to the future. I only felt anger, at everyone including myself.

I grabbed the man from his seat and pressed him against the glass behind him.

“Do you know what they did to me? What it cost me? This is my curse I am forced to live with and I will not allow you to do what they did to me.” I threw him to the floor.

As I began to storm out a surge of energy began to shock me painfully. I screamed and yelped in pain as it became stronger. I was forced down on one knee as the man stood over me.

“I thought you could be reasoned with.” he sent a stronger surged through me. I tried to regain my focus taking a deep breath. I gripped the belt around my waist. The shocks still hurt but I ignored it gathering my superhuman strength I yanked it into two pieces. There were burns and scorches all over me. Throwing the belt aside I turned to Mr. Big shot who looked more like a coward, running back towards his desk.

“Now where were we?” I said with an unsuppressed smile on my face.

“Think about this Ryan you will have a legacy past on for another 750 years don’t be stupid.” He pleaded.

I knocked him square in the face he fell back into his chair holding his jaw. I stormed towards the door and looked back at him. He stared intently at me and gritted his teeth. I guess he’s a sore loser.

“Legacies are overrated and I wasted too much time as it is. Now I swear to bring Core or whatever you called yourselves down around you.” I pointed my finger at him. “And you…you’re going to regret giving me a second chance.” With that I exit his office.

*

*

*

With that bridge crossed I now faced another problem; how the hell was I going to get out of this place. The boss must of sound an alarm in his office. I sprinted down the hallway I went through before instead this time I took a right at the portrait of Icarus down the hall was and elevator. I took advantage of the direction hologram in front of the elevator and pressed the button.

A bullet flew past me. Miss me by about inches, it completely destroyed the directory. I allow instinct to take over I found cover behind a wall. Bullets flying all towards me, I had absolutely now kind of weapon to help me I reached for the fire extinguisher. The elevator doors opened up, bullets still not letting up I started spraying the fire extinguisher distracting them long enough to get on the elevator.

According to the hologram I needed some sort of space transport to get off this station I clicked the H1button on the elevator assuming it stood for Hanger 1 I began pacing around the elevator trying to collect my thoughts.

“Ok, I am stuck in a space station in the middle of nowhere, everyone inside was trying to kill or experiment on me, oh and the leader is one of the most influential men in the colonies.” I said to myself. ‘Ryan, how do you get caught up in this crap?’ I thought. The doors opened quickly. No one was down here with me. I guess they didn’t think I make it this far.

I hurried over to the shuttles docked in the hanger. Then I realized something big; I don’t know how to fly these things. I always let Dahlia do the flying and driving on missions and I take things like the subway and crap when I am alone; ‘Never a better time like the present.’ I thought.

Before I enter one of the transports, my senses alarmed me of a bullet moving at me. I felt time slow down. I weaved to the right to allow the bullet to hit the shuttle doors. I quickly spun around where Athena was standing with her aiming a Hawk .57 pistols at me. I should have known it wouldn’t be that easy to get away.

“You must be tough like everyone around her has been saying or Core is getting soft.” She joked.

“Athena, I know you hate me and everything, but I need to get out of here. What these guys are planning…is messed up.” I tried to appeal to her because as much as it pained me; Athena might be the only person willing to fly me out of here.

“Did you hit your head or something I been hunting you for the last 12 months why in the world would you ask me to help you.” She shot back.

I heard the sounds of boots clacking from afar; time was not on my side. “Look—

I kicked the gun out of her hand and grabbed her; I put the gun was pressed on her head.

Athena swore. “You son of a b**** let me go!” She yelled.

I tried to calm her down; Core would be here any minute so I had to move fast. “Just listen I can’t let these people get to me, if they do it would end badly; no if I knew how to fly these things I would kill you for giving me to these maniacs.

“I’ll kill you damn it, I’ll kill you!” Athena said.

I realized that I was getting nowhere talking to her, I lifted her up over my shoulder and carried her to her ship; I felt her throwing a tantrum as I boarded her ship. I threw her down on her seat on the cockpit, and aimed a gun at her. She was oozing with rage. I guess she didn’t plan this one out.

“What kind of soldiers takes hostages?” Athena asked spitefully.

“That doesn’t apply to me; I’m not a soldier.” I said.

Athena powered up the ship. There was a low him coming from a control panel and then lights flashed. She looked back as some of the Core soldiers started shooting.

“Strap yourself in.” She commanded.

At the press of a button the ship hovered in the air in place then zoomed out into the blackness of space. The purple nebula brought light and color to space. It forms perfectly the infinity symbol it would have been a magnificent sight if I didn’t have the worries of being hunted.

“I’ll kill you.” Athena said.

“Yeah I’ve been hearing that a lot lately.” I replied. I began to survey the region looking for a jump gate. “There’s a Jump Gate to New York over there.”

Athena looked at me with her arms folded. This woman was being incredibly difficult. There were sensors on the ship that detected large battleships heading straight for us.

“Octavius-class battleships, it looks like Core really wants you.” Athena said.

“Listen Athena…or whatever your name is; I will knock you out, and recklessly go through that Jump Hole and end up in front of a black hole or a star and we both die, or you could put your hands on the cockpit and fly us the hell out of here.” I said giving an ultimatum. She probably knew that I was bluffing a little I wouldn’t even know how to crash this thing properly, but luckily she wasn’t prepared to take that risk.

She grabbed the controls and flew towards the Jump Gate in the distance; I could hear the afterburners of the Core-Fighters ships in hot pursuit of us as the huge pair of battleships began to open fire.

We navigated and dodged as much as we can, taking a few hits in the process to the starboard section of the ship. We were seemingly feet away from the Jump Gate, and the ship suddenly came to a halt.

“What’s going on?” I asked as the fighters began to open fire, we were out of range of the battleships, but they I knew they were fast approaching.

“We have to select a destination first.” She said. A small Virtual Interface appeared on the main panel; it was blue and transparent with a human like voice.”

“Hello this is Jump Gate Interface 98000-3578.” A large map showing the Milky Way Galaxy appeared. On it showed multiple yellowish dots indicating a location of a colony. “Please select a destination.”

“I’m setting the Jump Gate to take us to New York.” Athena pressed a yellow dot the looked located mighty closed to the Galactic Core. As far as I know New York is the colony closest to the Galactic Core, till this day no one has ever journey the 5 or 50 million light-years to the Galactic Center. Even back in my time Scientist believed there was a massive black hole in the center, but scientist wouldn’t want to prove it, no because they think they were wrong, but they were afraid that they were right.

The Machine made a low hum for a moment. “Destination confirmed Z27-Alexandria to N39-New York, Please stand by.”

The Battleship was finally in range and open fired on us. Their heavy artillery hammered the small ship, and we were sitting ducks out there unable to move or anything.

Light appeared as the Jump Gate was activated our ship was attracted to its gravitational pull like a moth to a flame, we entered the void slowly and instantaneously we were caught in a flash of light. I felt the velocity and speed push us back; my I couldn’t feel my arms briefly. Outside it seemed like everything was in slow motion, I discovered I could see us fly quickly past other ship, which probably wouldn’t notice us. We literally traveled millions of light-years In the matter of seconds.

Suddenly we appeared in front of an Earth-like planet; I could see the City-Planet from miles away you could see the massive urban sprawls that seemingly never ends.

I lay back in the chair in relief I knew Core wouldn’t try anything near New York Military so I relaxed for a moment, and caught my breath. However in my relief stirred a realization. Everything that has happened till now; it wasn’t the end of the world—just the end of mine.

Athena hid her ship in some abandoned landing hanger. I’m surprised that neither I nor N.Y. Military knew about that place. I also noted that she is a very complex woman, which I anticipated from when I first woke up in The Core’s station. She still barely says a word which I expected since after all I held her against her will.
“Hey I recognize this place this isn’t too far from where I live.” I said.
“I used this abandoned hanger when I was following you around.” She responded angrily.
“So you’re a mercenary and also a stalker? Pretty good resume.”
Athena sneered. “Jesus Ryan your attitude is worse in person.”
“I’m sorry even after you shot a politician and handed me over to those maniacs I don’t have a smile on my face.” I shot back.
Athena mumbled something under her breath; she has got to be the most infuriating woman in The Colonies. If I knew the parameters of being stuck with her I would have took my chances with Core.

“We could stay at my place until morning, and then we’ll head to New York Military.” I said.

Athena turned around and glared at me. “What the hell do you think those ‘Blues’ are going to do against Core, remember who paid for all those ships and technology we have?” she said exiting the cockpit.

Like I said she’s a handful.

It was a short walk back to my place, I needed to get some of my weapons and cash, I was a good bare-knuckled fighter, but not even I could stand up to Viper Class-2 combat Rifles alone. I surveyed the area before I entered the building; my amplified sense of sight had me see ridiculously long distances. I checked the rooftops of nearby buildings, once everything looked clear I gave Athena the Ok to enter.

Even inside the building I did the same thing surveyed the lobby for anyone suspicious or anybody I didn’t recognize. You might say I was a little paranoid. When I entered my apartment, I made sure that I turned on four of my countless security networks.

“You sure that’s enough.” Athena asked folding her arms.

It’s a difficult thing to do when you are on the business deal of a manhunt, but it’s much worse when a irritated mercenary is making a comment on everything you do. She was another problem for me; I doubted if I could trust her, after all what’s to say that she doesn’t try to kill me in my sleep, or have some tracking device leading Core wherever I go.

The Apartment was exactly how I left it. The blinds blocking off sunlight, boxes scattered throughout the place, I felt relief come over me as I went into the back room. My desk and paperwork was still messy. I figured that I would be safe for a while until I can think about what to do next. I went back into the living room where Athena sat stiff on the couch.

“I still can’t believe you actually live here. N.Y. Military doesn’t pay you enough?” she said referring to the messiness of my apartment.

“They pay me good enough.” I responded looking through the window. Athena raised an eyebrow looking at me.
“Looking out the window won’t help you against an orbitals strike of Korr’s EMP power.” she said.

“What, after you handed me over to those bastards I’m nervous.” I said.

“Look Ryan you are on New York perhaps the worse colony I could be on, one step on the streets and everyone who could hold a gun would be after me.” Athena Responded.
I rolled my eyes. “Whatever you say mercenary?”

“Listen just because I kill people for a living doesn’t mean I’m some heartless b****!” She replied.

“You could of fooled me A mercenary wouldn’t become a mercenary if they valued lives of others.” I sat down on the couch on the opposite end of her.

She stood up from the sofa; apparently she didn’t want me to be anywhere nears her. “I might kill people for a living, but at least I don’t mope around feeling sorry for myself like you.”

I shot back. “Listen, you have no idea what I went through in that damn war, I lost everything I ever had; it just gone and I will never see anyone of them again.”
I grabbed a bottle of Vodka that was sitting in the fridge I poured myself a glass, and began sipping on it. “But you wouldn’t know anything about that.”
Athena narrowed her eyes. “Do you think you’re the only one who been through crap in their life? That is the thing that I hate about you the most; you hate everyone who can’t connect to you and take it out on them.”
Athena waltzed over to me with a glass in her hand. “Do you mind?” she asked.

I handed over the bottle which she poured herself a glass. I was hopeful that after this she would be more pleasant to be around when she’s intoxicated.

“Well since you know so much about me why not tell me something about you.” I said.

Athena gulped down her drink and looked back at me her facial expressions changed; her eyes then drifted off and were now having a stare-off with the blank television.

“What is there to know?” She asked.

I moved next to her placing my drink on the coffee table. “Before when I first met you, you called me Icarus, why?”

“It was nothing really, just an observation.” She replied.

I turned and leaned. “What do you mean by observation?” I asked.

“Well I use to read a lot of old Mythology from centuries ago. Icarus was unique he was given wings and was able to fly but then fell out of the sky into the ocean. I compared you to Icarus because you were also unique, but like him…you fell from grace.”

I was never much of a reader before the war. It was more interesting that she actually knew who Icarus was; many people from this time do not know much about past things, like movies, books etc.

I poured another glass for myself. “So how did you become a Mercenary?”
The light from a car driving by creped inside the room, the light landed on her face which made her green watery eyes noticeable. I guess it was a touchy subject for her on the count of the awkward silence. I was about to drop the subject as Athena opened her mouth to speak.

“Well... it began in my earlier years when I was just a pole dancer in a sleazy night club.” She said
I almost choked when I heard her say that she looked over and sneered at me angered. I quickly regaining my composure, I let her continue with her story.
“Anyway, I met Desmond; he was some guy who went to a nearby university. he came to the club with a group of his friends and he stuck around to the end of the show. God, he was a pain in the ass…but he was also charming.”
“Did you love him?”

She let out a long pause for a moment then looked back at me. “Till this day I still don’t know the answer to that.” Athena continued. “We started seeing each other for a few months. By then I was about to quit my job and do something else with my life.”

“Then what happened?” I asked.

Athena let out a sigh. “It was Just about December give or take a few days I was walking to my apartment I was just about to quit my job when two guys grabbed me a forced me down alley. They smothered me so I couldn’t shout; I kick and screamed, but to no avail. Then they released me one of them handed me a pistol. I could tell they were my boss’s goons they wanted to pull the trigger. I didn’t know what to do I had never killed anyone before. They put someone in front of me kneeled down there was a sack over his head they gave me an ultimatum; kill myself or kill…Desmond. I was reluctant at first; I even considered shooting the gun at my captures, then one of them held a gun to my head ordering me to shoot.”

Athena stood up and stared off at the cityscape. “I killed him. I disappeared and never went back I found a job as a mercenary; I figured I had no other choice.” Her voice and all other sounds went still. Her story became a reminder that I was not the only one who had it rough. If I could still feel the rest of my emotions I would probably feel sadness or compassion.

“Athena…I had no idea.” I tried to reach for her, but she smacked my hand away.

“I don’t want your pity Ryan.” She spat wiping her face quickly.

I conceded to her and looked down to my watch. It was a little after midnight. I doubt we will be able to think of anything now, it was best that we both rest up. “Perhaps we should get some rest while we have this free time.”

Athena nodded turning her eyes from the window. I told her to sleep in my room and I took the couch. I took off my jacket and laid back, I couldn’t sleep…as usual.

*

*

*

Surrounded on all sides, a bright light loomed over me. I hear voices all around me. I couldn’t move I knew I was no longer in Moscow that much was clear. It was as if I was not in my body. I tilted my head to the left I remembered that symbol the man with wings from Core headquarters.

“The Radiation is too strong we can’t be this close to him for long.” A deep masculine voice said.

My chest began to feel tight.

“We have to do something else before we lose him” A female voice said.

“The stasis chamber we can put him in there until it is safe to examine him again.” The man replied.

“Are you sure? The chamber hasn’t been tested thoroughly let.” The woman argued.

“What other choices we have?” he asked.

The last thing I saw was a hand reaching towards me. Everything faded to black.
Awake. My eyes shot wide open in I surveyed the room for a moment. I got to my feet sweat dripping from my face it took a minute, but my heart slowed down. I went into my bathroom and poured water on my face I still didn’t have the luxury to look in my mirror because it was completely shattered.

Athena was scrunched up on my bed she didn’t move an inch and had a pistol under her pillow. I tried not to wake her as I silently walked back to the living room.

“Ryan.” I heard softly as I reached for the door. I turned around facing Athena who simply laid there.

“Yeah.” I replied.

“What was it like? To be in Stasis for so long and not know about the world evolving around you?” She asked.

I wasn’t shocked by the question Dalia asked me a million times before, I never wanted to talk about it, what really surprised me was that she actually cared about something like that. This woman was defying all my expectations. I assumed that by now she would attempt to recapture me and drag me back to Core or something, I mean I would make sense since that they offered so much money in the beginning.

Instead of shutting her down, I humored her curiosity. “Imagine knowing that a vast universe exist, and you are just one part of something bigger. Then imagine not being able to see, touch, taste, smell, or hear anything but your constant thinking as all things change completely. It was a feeling of a thousand nuclear missiles when finally you are a part of the changes and you find out all your love ones died a long time ago and will never get to say ‘I love you’ to them ever again.”
Silence flooded the room as the light of passing speeders entered the room. With her silence I went through the door.

*

*

*

The next morning was awkward; I got dressed like every morning and grabbed a cup of coffee. Today I was going to meet with Reed about Core, hopefully with NY military on our side Core would have to think twice about fighting with me.

Athena walked inside living room area made herself a cup of coffee.

“Morning.” I said quickly.

“Hey.” She replied.

We stood there in silence for a few moments Athena broke the silence.

“So how is this Commander Reed supposed to help us?” She asked.

“Commander Reed leads by far the strongest military in The Colonies; surely he could help in fighting Core.” I said.

“Help in your fight with Core I was held against my will remember.” She smirked.

“Right.” I said.
I headed for New York Military Headquarters. I knew it was foolish, but I had no other choice. There was a strong possibility that NY Military may be in there pocket. I made Athena stay at the apartment; security was incredibly tight after the attack on the Prime Minister and it would be pissing on our fortune if I was to bring his shooter in the building.

Since I worked here and in charge of security in the building I didn’t have to go through the 8 other scanners. I walked across the busy main lobby to the elevators on the right wing of the building. I headed to Reed’s office in the office floors. The building was divided into 7 areas and had over 300 stories; Hanger bays, Main Floors, Office floors, Training Farms, Tech labs, Servers, and Command Center.

It takes a while to get to the 90th floor of the building where his office was located. The doors split apart from each other leading directly in front of his office. I entered the room slowly making sure any Core agents were inside. Commander Reed was reviewing something his computer. From the looks of it he didn’t sleep in like days. He looked up for a moment at me looking completely stunned.

“Agent Ryan, where the hell have you been?” He asked.

“Sir, I need your help.” I pleaded.

The Commander didn’t bother looking at me he sipped on some coffee and continued on his work. “Go ahead I’m listening.”

“Three days ago I was kidnapped by…the organization Core.” I said.

Reed’s head shot up at me instantly. He moved and reached for his phone. “Susan hold my calls.” He said quickly hanging up.

He turned his full attention back to me. “Now did you say Core” he asked.

I nodded.

“I need more details Ryan.” Reed said.

“They kidnapped me so they could use my genetics to recreate super-soldiers.”

He swore silently, standing up facing a window. “Ryan, Core is one of the most powerful organizations in history. They actually created the Mass Gravity Generators to make a planet less dense so it will more like Earth, hell they even made intergalactic travel possible with the Jump Gates.” He explained.

I folded my arms. “What are you saying boss.”

“Dan you are asking me to start a war with an army of giants their leader is more ruthless and efficient than anyone I seen before. God, this is such bad timing.” He said.

“What going on around here.” I asked. The troubled look on his face told me he had bad news entirely.

“The Alliance is going crazy New Britain is calling The Prime Minister assassination attempt an Omen. Tensions are increasing between the colonies it’s worse than when The Archduke was assassinated in Europe.” Reed continued. “Were on the brink of a first Galactic War in history.” He admitted.

I felt my heart sink like a battleship. After all this time I thought I escaped the time of war back on Earth, and now a more deadlier one is right over the horizon.

“We can’t let that happen, boss. What do you suggest I do?” I asked.

“You are going to worry about how to get Core off your back while—

There was an explosion down across the room the doors were flying towards us. I grabbed Reed and prone him to the ground. I pulled out my Phoenix 9.7mm pistol, flipped over the desk and started shooting. I took out several of the group their bodies went slump as they collapsed to the floor.

“Stay here Commander” I ran out of the office the Military was totally blindsided by the attack reports from the upper level claimed it was bomb going off on the 20th floor of the building.

Soldiers came and opened fire on me. I bashed the door to one of the offices and took cover behind the wall. One soldier rushed in I grabbed his rifle quickly and hit him with the butt end of the gun in the head. He collapsed like a building. Quickly I felt time began to slow; my reflexes became sharper, I sensed another man behind him I jumped out of the room and grabbed the man who reached his arm to punch. I delivered a chop to his throat and he slouched over. Another man who held a shock-stick slashed forward. Instincts took over as I ducked and lodged my elbow into his forearm his grip on the stick loosened; I grabbed it and bashed it across the impostors face.

With instinct still in control I ducked watching bullets flying over my head with smashing through the sound barrier. I picked up a gun and shot the rifle at the two men’s legs. They landed face first and rolling in pain, but no longer a threat.

One of the soldiers got up and swung his combat knife in the air. I weaved and dodged his attacks. With one of his strikes he leaned a little too forward out of desperation. I capitalized relieving him of the knife and lodged it through his hand. The man screamed off of the top of his lungs, even turning red and blue I dragged his hand and body and planted the other side into the wallpaper and twisted it.
The dust completely settled my coat and the floor was covered in blood I went back to the office and helped the Commander to his feet. I moved closer to the bodies to examine the bodies. They all donned the NY Army heavy armor I removed their helmets. The man took a bullet to the head his eyes wide open. I didn’t know who he was but he was not New York Military.

“Reed, who the hell is this, I know all of the security here and I never seen anyone here looking like him.”

Before Reed could speak I heard a groan from a nearby body. I followed the sound to a man in the Armor struggling to remove his helmets. I helped him take it off. He coughed and looks like he was on his last leg.

“Who are you?” I exclaimed.

“Ugh…god I’m bleeding out. I…I was sent by Core.” He said.

From the looks of him he doesn’t look like he was old enough to even shave yet he had the look of a fresh face recruit. There was a large gash on his head and abdomen he wasn’t going to last long, so I hope he talks good under pressure.

“How did you get in here?” Reed intervened.

“Core gave…us the armor and…told us to wait for him.” He snitched.

Reed and I glared at each other. The man coughed again and looked back at him. “He knew you would come here… he anticipated everything, Ryan.” he said.

“Where do I find him?” I asked.

The man was silent. I shook him a little, but he gave me no response he slowly leaned over as his eyes rolled to the back of his head.

“ANSWER ME!” I said shaking him hoping for a response.

“It’s no use Ryan he’s dead.” Reed said. I closed the man’s eyes and laid him down slowly on the floor.

“This is my fault sir, I shouldn’t of come back.” I said.

He knelt down towards another soldier and removed his helmet. “What are you going to do?” he didn’t sound angry, he just wanted to know if I planned all of this out already.

“I can’t stay here Core is bringing out the big guns and it you will get caught in the crossfire. I have to get far away and not come back till the heat goes down.” I said.

Reed ran back over towards his desk and pulled out a large a data pad of that had access to a bank account. “Here there is at least 100,000cR in there I figure you will have better use for it than me. Go into the armory and take whatever guns and ammo you need.”

I nodded and took the data pad. “Ryan it is up to you to bring down Core, get to the bottom of this and fast I'm going to be here sorting out this mess and trying to avoid a war.”

“Thanks Boss for everything.” I said putting the data pad into my coat.

“Thank me when this is over and you get your penchant.” He responded. I left his office and went into the elevator. Still clueless to what to do next I took one last look into Reeds battered office before the door closed.

Space above Planet New York

After retrieving several Rifles and ammo, me and got into her ship and flew into space. The New York Armada of Battle-cruisers and Destroyers were vigilant all around the planet. Using my Access code they let out through with no problem, but I still had many others. A few weapons, a mercenary, and a soldier wouldn’t even scratch the surface of a corporation like Core. It was impossible to completely take them down, but if there was a way for me to get them off my back then it would mean something.

“Jesus Ryan what was going on in there? I saw the explosion from the apartment.”

“It was Core they bomb and attacked the building,”

“Ryan I though you said they wouldn’t go near New York.” Athena shocked me out of thought. I turned to her who was focusing on the cockpit.

“I guess Core is getting bolder, now I don’t know where to go.” I replied.

“That’s a shame; I was hoping you had a plan or something.” She admitted. I should have known Athena would leave the planning to me.

I shrugged. “No, You?” She stared blankly at me.

As if ignoring my whole query she changed the subject. “We’re approaching the New York Jump Gate.”

The Jump gate was a fancy device that allowed ships of any size or shape to travel to any other colonies of space almost instantly, and yes it was designed by the Core Organization.

A blue AI appeared in front of the control panels which startled me a little Athena saw me jump a little and rolled her eyes.

“Good Day Ma’am, this is Artificial Intelligence 3701-002. Please select a destination.”

The screen change into a map of the Milky Way Galaxy there were several points that indicated the different destinations, to pick from. I really didn’t leave the New York Sector before so I knew nothing about the other colonies.

I looked to Athena, “Any suggestions?”

“I have a hideout in New Britain we will be much safer than New York, plus Core doesn’t know about this place.” She assured.

I gave her an unconvinced stare. These guys were willing to attack NY Military HQ with no thought of innocence, buy us time maybe, but I had to be a fool to believe I was going to be safe. Unfortunately for me I can’t continue this game of cat and mouse forever I must think of something to get these guys off my back for good, my only hope is that I get to make the next move and not that Red-eyed maniac.

Now that we were successfully navigating through the Jump Gate I turned to Athena.

“So what is with that Guy and his eyes?” I asked referring to Core’s Leader.

“They say he was born blind so when he got older he pulled his old eyes out and replaced them with those mechanical, cold ones.” She said venomously.

She leaned in closer. “He also had this power I never seen anything like it; it’s like this Electromagnetic Pulse he generates from his hand. I’ve seen him stop battleship dead in their tracks using it.”

Ignoring the irony in the story I sat back and watched at the ship traveling through the Jump Gate Athena got up from her seat and started for the small main hold. “I’m going to get some sleep I recommend that you do the same as well.” She said.

She was right I hadn’t slept in about three days now. I began to show as well; looking at the sleep deprived reflection of me showed dark circles forming around my eyes. I normally had my shades on but the dimness of the cockpit defeated the purpose of them. I was actually afraid to sleep. Me, and my paranoid way of thinking made me think that something will happen if I close my eyes even for a minute. Core attacked NY Military HQ with a blink of an eye that was just a message to me saying there is nowhere I will be safe.

I’ll sleep when I know it’s safe. I not was going to get careless about this. To pass time I would watch the ship as it traveled though the Jump Gate to New Britain. I was starting to feel reluctant now that we were traveling there. Davis was still in the hospital and it is the place where war is on the verge of breaking out. I knew we had to lay low, but I wish I could do something to prevent it from happening. I saw enough of war back at Moscow and New York back and don’t want to see another now.

Planet Britannia (New Britain)

And here when I thought English iniquity didn’t exist. The whole city was falling apart, Riots, bonfires the whole nine. No passive resistance, no peacemakers, just outright chaos.

I watched from our hover car as thousands of people amass in front of the government building, The Britannians were calling for war and return to isolationism. These people blame New York for the attack on their prime minister; I’ve seen the wound it was on the right side of his body, nowhere near anything important.

The craziest part of it all is that this is all Athena’s doing, all the chaos outside is because of her. For some reason I myself felt responsible; all of this crap could have been avoided if I didn’t let Davis get in front of that podium, I would of never encountered Athena, and I wouldn’t be running for my life right now either.

Athena’s Place happens to be located in the outskirts where we have a front row seat to it all. I wish I could help in a way life sucks when you hiding from a crazed corporation.

I sat down on her couch. From the looks of this place Athena must make a fortune on her jobs as a mercenary. The place was located on side of a mountain that over looked the entire city, for a few miles there is only lush forest for miles (which she joked and called it her lawn) it almost makes me want to reconsider my career path. I flicked on her television and of course on every station was on the riot outside I was hoping to hear some news that the conflict was getting better. The more I watched the more I felt useless to do anything about it.

“That must be one crazy party out there.” Athena joked.

She planted herself on her couch; she had on nothing but a bathrobe and heels, a very unorthodox combination. Her black hair was down in length, she pulled out a cigarette from the coffee table.

“This really couldn’t get worse.” I said.

Athena shrugged removing the cigarette from her mouth. “Ryan you worry too much, not even Core could track us here.” She moved next to me, putting the cigarette out. I felt a little uncomfortable her so close to me, I guess that’s one thing the military can’t prepare you for.

“I’m not talking about Core I mean this.” I pointed at the television.

She waved her hand. “Why worry, I didn’t kill him politics is just escalating the damn thing..”

I turned from the TV and watched the city skyline. “You don’t understand what this means to me; I already survived one war…I don’t want to see another.”

Athena moved next to me now we both looked out of the window for a moment. Then Athena began to pull me towards the door. “Wait here Ryan.”

“Athena what’s going on?” I asked puzzled.

“I’m taking you out tonight so you could blow off some steam.” She shouted

“It’s a bad Idea going out today, with all of the crap out there not to mention that Core…
I stood there completely stunned by Athena at that moment she looked and carried herself with that made her so desirable. Her purple dress complimented her figure perfectly it reached right above her knees. Her smooth tanned legs were covered in fish net stocking all the way down to her purple stiletto heels. Come to think of it Athena is kind of an attractive woman, shoulder length hair, a soft green eyes, smooth facial features, the whole package to be honest.

“I’m sorry is there something that you were saying.” Athena stood only inches from my face; her perfume gracefully blew into my face.

“Um…forget it. Let’s just go.” I started for the door, but Athena grabbed my hand.

“Hold your horses Ryan; you can’t go out dress like that.” Athena protest.
I folded my arms. “And what’s wrong with what I’m wearing.” I examined my dark shirt with my dual pistol holster strapped around my torso; dark pants and black boots, it wasn’t the most stylish, but I was prepared for virtually anything.

“Look at yourself it just spells cop, the people around here aren’t too happy at New York right now so dressing like one of their soldiers makes you a target.”

She went into a back room and pulled out a dark jacket; shorter than mine, jeans and some fancy sneakers. I was a soldier overall before the war happened I remember having a pretty good wardrobe, but since I joined the military it all been regulations clothing anywhere I go.

I removed my regular clothes, and donned the nice fitting society clothes. Athena looked at me with an unsuppressed smirk on his face. “God you look so much better without that coat now let’s go.”

Athena left the house walking to the hover-car waiting I just played along and followed her. She started the car and we drove out of her home into the strife that consumed the city. “Where are we going Athena?”

She formed a half-smile on her face putting on some purple sunglasses completing her diva attire. “Where the days and the hours are Ryan.”

The Queen’s Dive, New Britain

We arrived at some weird club I guess pretty late at night. I wasn’t too good at times on other planets due to the rotational periods of different planets; I was guessing it was like 10pm because everything was picking up rapidly.

I sat at the bar table for an hour or so with Athena; apparently she was quite a regular here. The music was blasting like rocket ship I sat there making sure my ears weren’t bleeding until the bartender came over to us.

“Athena! It’s been a while; I assume you had a good hunt recently?” the bartender was a relatively short female, with straight long red hair, dark blue eyes, and a bunch of tattoos all over her body; she had a revealing outfit from the neck down she wore dark violet shades over her eyes.

“As well as could be expected Trish.” Athena said vaguely. The bartender looked over to me for a moment with curiosity. “So who’s your friend?”

“This is Ryan, he’s going to be in town for a while until all of this blows over.” Athena said.

I extended my hand. “It’s a pleasure.”

She gave me a seductive smile, and met my hand. “Please the pleasure is all mines Mr. Ryan.”

“So you want the usual Athena?” she said changing the subject.

“Little less Tequila this time.” Athena added.

“And you…” she said addressing me.

I looked up at the list behind me; they come up with the craziest names for drinks. I shrugged. “I guess I’ll take the ‘London Gut Punch’.”

Trish surprisingly drove her fist at me; by reflex only I grabbed her arm my instinct almost made me counter, but instead I released it and sat back down.

“You have some good reflexes Mr. Ryan; one London Gut Punch on the house.”

She ran over to the brewery; Athena sat next to me clapping her hands. “That was the first time anyone ever blocked her gut punch.”

I laughed. “That woman was an ex-Military Black Ops Athena; I wonder how she ended up working as a bartender?”

Military Black Ops never desert or resign the only way out if you are no longer physically able or if you’re killed in action.

“Not everyone have to live on the path imposed on them, not even you.”

I wished that was true, but everyday Core chases me proves it wrong, I would always be hunted these men, and because of what I am I have to fight them.

Trish returned with two drinks in her hand. “Here you go: one Predator and one Gut Punch.”

Trish left us alone for a while, so me and Athena sat for a while talking, about our different lives, which ironically are not too different. Being around her was weird being around Dahlia was like being around someone who was just going to lie about understanding.

Athena like me had ‘been there and done that’ with just about anything, for a few moments I forgot why I was angry with her.

“…So I tossed his boots all the way on top of the West Point flag post, you should of seen him trying for hours trying to reach them. Eventually our Captain leaped up and grabbed it for him.”

“I can see why you miss everything now.” She said.

I shrugged. “Well the 21st century was cool, but there are things here that I like to.”

“Really?” Athena said placing the cigarette in her mouth.

“Yeah, everything here is relaxed and calm, unlike back then. Also the people are totally different – especially the women.” I said referring to her.

She chuckled. “What women weren’t mercenaries back then?”

“I worked with a few during the war; some were similar to you; smart, deadly…even beautiful.”

Instantly Athena looked at me yanking the cigarette out of her mouth. “I don’t know if it’s the expensive liquor or not, I think that was a compliment.”

I shook my head at her comment and went back to my drink. “Let me ask you something.”

“Shoot.”

“The genetic modifications are supposed to be temporary, so why didn’t yours wear off or something?” She asked.

I placed my drink down looked into space. At that moment I flashed back to Moscow where after the explosion my mind becomes a puzzle, the little I do remember are just fragments of a whole larger memory. After a second I shot back where I was staring down at my half empty bottle.

“Ryan…” Athena said.

“I don’t know.” I replied.

“What?”

“I don’t remember what happen to me after Moscow.” I said.

Athena’s face began to turn lighter. There was an awkward silence between us for a moment. Athena finished her cigarette and stood up from her seat.

“I think we should get going.”

I got ready and stood from my seat we both exit the lounge, and strolled down the street. The sky had a beautiful view of Britannia’s 3 moons orbiting the planet. As we walked to her car five guys stood on the sidewalk and stopped us.

One of them looked at Athena. “Well what do we have here?”

The man has bleach blond hair; thin stubble and a conceded look on his face that made me want to kill him. “Why don’t you ditch Mr. Sunglasses here and we’ll show you a real party.” He said.

I balled my fist, but Athena grabbed it and inconspicuously gave me a ‘Let me handle this stare’.

“Sorry, but I’m not interested in a perverted asshole, try the brothel a few blocks down…or did you just get kick out?” Athena said.

His gang members laughed for a moment until the ‘blondie’ turned around and their faces changed instantly.

“You have a pretty mouth little lady… I’m eager to see it in action.” He began to reach for her and I grabbed his arm with my enhanced abilities. He yelped in pain as I threw him back toward his group. “She said no man now walk away.”

I stepped in front of her, and then she grabbed my hand and pulled behind her. “No Ryan, I said let me handle this.” She said.

“You hear that fellas’ she wants to handle us.” He said to his gang.

One of his men began to reach for her; quickly Athena kicked his hand away and kneed him in his stomach. He collapsed holding his gut; Athena finished him with a roundhouse kick to the face the heel of her shoes left a scrape on his face.

The Blonde hair man looked at us angrily. “Take care of them boys.”

I got ready in a fight position but Athena already began to kick ass, she leaned backward avoiding a knife aiming for her heart avoiding a deadly strike. Athena countered landing a punch to his face, the man dropped the knife out of his hand and Athena kicked him into the wall. Two other guys exchanged glares and retreated.

The blonde leader looked at us intensely, but emptily. I was totally stunned and impressed by the mercenaries skills, that just added on to one of the many things I think I kind of like about her.

“I don’t think we will be bothered by them anymore.” She said.

Athena Residence, 2:07am (Britannian Standard Time)

Athena and I got back late in the night, it was interesting spending time with her, at the same time it was confusing a part of me still don’t trust her, yet I feel more relaxed as if I was around Dahlia or Reed.

“Did you see that man’s face when he ran off, it was classic.” Athena said.

She went into the living room and flopped down on the couch. “Yeah you are impressive.”

She shrugged. “One of the best.”

I sat down next to her on the sofa; her hair was a shade of raven-black; It flowed in waves to adorn her glowing, porcelain-like skin. Her eyes, framed by long lashes, were a bright, emerald-green and seemed to brighten the world. A straight nose, full lips - she seemed the picture of perfection. Had she smiled, The Colonies would sigh with contentment. Had she laughed, they would laugh with her, and had she wept, they would want to comfort her.

“Athena, this may sound weird, but I am glad that you captured me that day.” I said.

Athena blushed, leaning closer. “Well in that case I’m glad that you dragged me along on that hanger bay.”

I laughed. “Really, I would of never guessed with you kept saying ‘I’ll kill you, I’ll kill you’.” I joked.

We moved closer until we were only inches away from each other, gently brushed the hair away from her perfect face. Like a magnet our lips moved to kiss, but stopped halfway. “Athena…um…I really need a shower if that’s ok.

Athena retreated and lay back on the couch. “It’s on the fourth door on the right.”

I got up and immediately went into the wash room.

Shortly

When I got out of the shower it was just about dusk outside the hot water helped relax my tense muscles. I gazed at my reflection; it was like looking at a stranger, my light vivid skin dark brown eyes that reminded me of the dark nights I would patrol the nights in the cities, A dark, recently shaved beard and goatee, my hair was a soft dark color that looked like it just grew back from an haircut, and a muscular upper body to finish the features.

I lowered my head to the sink and to pour water on my face, and when my eyes shot back up Athena looked over to me; she was silent just passing a harmless glares over. I could feel the passion in her glare; it stirred up long buried feelings. I stood up straight my eyes focused on her she moved to meet me.

“Athena…” She approached me placing a finger in front of my lips.

Athena placed her other hand on my chest just feeling around my abs and shoulders. She then looked up at me. I no longer saw a formidable foe who hunted me for god knows how long. She slowly shifted her body planting her lips onto mine. Instinct told me to resist, but I couldn’t it was too long overdue for me I wasn’t long until I gave in. gave into our passion and lust two thing I thought I long forgotten when I became a Super-Soldier. It was liberating after suppressing my emotions for over 750 years it was released in a way I could never imagine.

I picked her off her feet, she wrapped her arms around my neck continuously kissing me as I carried her by her thighs into the nearest bedroom, she flopped down on the bed pulling me on top of her and continued pressing our lips together more passionate than ever if that was even possible.

*

*

*

“I still have my doubts sir, the stasis chamber is just a prototype we put him in it he could die in a few hours.” A woman said.
I was back to that day. The day when it happened, I remember looking out a nearby window and watch the world outside burning WWIII was over now, but here the troubles began.

“Ryan must survive he is the key to everything once he heals The Augmentation Project will continue.”

I was being wheeled away I didn’t want to go back I tried to move and nothing happened they placed me in a tube. There was no movement, no light, and no hope.

Awake. A scream opened caused me I moved my hands and around for assurance. I looked next to me Athena was gone. I called to her and no response; I sat up and dressed quickly. Quietly as possible, I waltzed to the living room. The room was dark save for the two moons acting as a light source. I called to her again, and no one answered. I felt everything slow down my super-human instinct felt someone behind me. I didn’t have the time to react I felt a strong kick to the back. I flipped over the counter and collapsed. Before I could stand I was roundhouse kicked and staggered.

This person was incredibly skilled; they must have had military training of some sort. I was just commenting on their combat stance I looked more carefully at a figure with a slim black suit and ski-like mask. I was thinking Core’s Special Forces or some type of elite operative. The attacker charged at me I weaved and dodged all my counters were just dodged perfectly.

They tried another charge at me, by reflex I kicked them back and they fell towards the plasma screen. They dusted themselves off and got back to their feet. I dropped into a fighting stance ready for a tussle.

They made the first move and charged at me with a barrage of punches and kicks. Thanks to my heighten instincts I was able to weave and dodge the strikes. I countered their last punch with one of mine to the stomach, and one square to the face. They rubbed her face for a moment then came at me again, I gripped their fist and delivered a kick to the mid-section, I wasn’t done there they flew back towards the wall as they bounced off I hit them with a powerful haymaker. The force from my superhuman strength caused the television to fall off the wall it was mounted too.

I looked back at them who was coughing and sliding down the wall. I knelt down next to them and examined them closely. I then realized their bright brown eyes.

“No!” I exclaimed. I removed the mask and hood, I swore as soon as I saw my suspicion was correct.

“Dahlia!” I said.

I took several steps back at her. She was in really bad shape her head has a sizable gash in there. Completely battered from the fight, from the looks of it she had a broken jaw. I felt so disgusted at this point; I just beat the crap out of my freaking partner.

“Dahlia, I…I’m sorry I…” I trailed off as she grabbed my hand weakly, coughing up a little blood. A weak smile forged across her face.

“No…I….I should be apologizing …I should have known when…Core was involved…in the operation.” She mumbled.

“What?” I exclaimed.

“I was…investigating the shooter…said they lived here… then…then Core agent took her and…” she reached for her neck and yanked out a chip on the side of her neck. Dahlia weakly showed it to me.

“Dahlia its Core, they want me so they could create a new of super-soldiers based on my DNA. I’m sorry you got caught in the middle” I explained.

She coughed roughly, gasping for air at the same time. I felt so guilty, angry, but yet…I feel nothing.

“Dan… I’m sorry. So very…sorry.” Dahlia pointed towards the back room of the house and then blacked out the door was wide open immediately I thought of Athena. I jumped up and ran inside. The room was completely empty, I called out to her. I noticed something in the bathroom. I creped slowly there and opened the door. Inside was nothing, nothing except the mirror. I felt anger at the rectangular mirror looking at a fair skinned man, with a full beard, dark eyes and thick short hair.

I noticed a note attached to the mirror, I yanked it off inside was the insignia for Core. They took Athena, and they used Dahlia to get to me. The bastards they brought out the big guns. I flipped the note over which read:
New York Military HQ rooftop

9:30pm tonight

Don’t be late for work

I felt fury take over. I knew exactly what he was trying to do. I had to go confront Core it not just for revenge or even for Athena, I had to do it because I will never be free of this as long as he lived; from the beginning this was a never-ending conflict I don’t want to spend all my life fighting these people. I always followed orders a played by the rules. No more sides, no more rules I make my own way now. I had only one objective: Take down Core.

Outside New York Military HQ

9:00 pm (NYTZ)

I was ready to go on the offensive after I dropped Dahlia’s body at the hospital. It didn’t hit me till I was on my way to HQ that I just lost one of the only people that tried to help me. She was my friend and Athena was next. I had to end this once and for all. I had no idea what to expect, a platoon of soldiers, heat seeking missiles, I stared up at the huge skyscraper in front of me. With over 400 stories it’s the largest building on the planet. I shivered at the cool night breeze the whispers in the winds came from all directions. I took a really deep breath and walked through the automatic doors.

The main area was completely deserted everything was in left in order. I could tell it was no coincidence New York Military is a 26 hour law enforcement agency and all of a sudden everyone just vanish. I couldn’t get a hold of Reed on my phone. The bright lights over my head lit the entire ground floor; I walked casually to the elevators across the long hallway. As if it was staged the elevator doors opened in front of me. I walk inside looking around slowly. The button was already pressed on the roof I allowed the door to close and turned to face the glass wall of the elevator as it ascended towards the roof. I leaned on the glass; I never took my eyes off of the billboards of Core on the rooftops of other buildings. Core was all I saw I realized I was going to was with an empire and woke up a sleeping giant. ‘What if it’s a trap’ I thought. What if all of this; Athena agreeing to help me, Core manipulating Dahlia and the rest of the military just to set me up? After all Athena did say they offered her an exceptional amount of money to track me down. So why would she leave to help me? And what was everything that happened last night about? Selling the deception? I…I just didn’t know what to believe anymore. My damn pessimistic way of thinking was making me mad and adding more problems. Athena keeps a low profile all of this crap will draw attention to her and she wouldn’t. The sound of an artificial voice interrupted my thoughts. I turned around ignoring the entire city under my nose I looked forward.

The doors opened.

“Daniel, you’re on time.” The man with the red eyes loomed at me his long overcoat blew along with the wind as he spoke. I noticed at least 4 other guys covering his flanks.

“No games today, who are you really? I asked.

The man replied with a chuckle. “I have many names, but you may call me Alexander Korr.” He said.

I should have assumed that there was a correlation between his name and the corporation he runs.

“You manipulated my friends, kidnap Athena all for what? Just so you could have the strongest military? What happened to the era of peace and prosperity that you swore to protect, you risk all of that just for one man.” I asked.

Korr expression on his face changed and looked angrily. “Just one man!” He repeated. “Ryan you have the abilities like no soldier before or after you. There is war over the horizon and you are all that’s left of perfection Daniel; the last super-soldier.” He stared off in the city. “You of all people should know that peace must be imposed, because society would never choose it themselves.

My teeth grinded like sandpaper. “So the lives, everything you built until now it means nothing to you.” I spat.

“As long as there is man, there is war. So as long as we have war, humanity needs Core.”

I began to run up on him, but stopped up short as Korr’s guards aimed their rifles at me. Even after 750 years some things about the world just doesn’t change. There will always be a dark and twisted man just like him, I would have called him a ruthless killer then I would be a hypocrite. I looked around him a realized that Athena was nowhere around.

“Athena, where is she?” I asked backing off a little.

Korr shrugged with a sinister smile on his face. “Oh, she’s just hanging around.” He pointed his thumb behind him.

I looked up and my jaw fell all the way to the ground floor.

“Athena!” I yelled.

She was being suspended in air the only thing that stopped her from taking a 438 flight fall was a rope that hung on to the end a long crane. Her mouth was taped shut, but I could still hear her attempting to scream.

“Let her go Korr, this is between you and me.” I protested.

“Oh I beg to differ Athena is just as much involved as you the minute she agreed to defy me and help you off the station.” Korr argued. “But, I am not an unfair man Ryan I am tempted to let her go.”

My eyes narrowed at him I even began to charge at him. I stopped when the crane lower to startle me. “What do you want from me?” I asked not making eye contact with him.

“It’s quite simple, Just one pint of your blood for the creation of the super-soldiers and in return I’ll release her. What do you say?” I looked down at Korr as he extended his hand holding a needle with a small canister attached to it. I looked back at Athena who was still trying to hold on to dear life.

“Well…”He trailed off at me.

The crane lowered again Athena squealed through her tape. He had me backed against a wall he knew I couldn’t, wouldn’t let Athena die for me. Even though she hunted me and probably wouldn’t do the same for me, but I had to try to help her.

I balled my hand into a fist and then reluctantly met his hand. Korr had an unsuppressed smile on his face. “I am so glad you see things my way.” He said. I felt my pride sink dramatically like The Titanic I pulled my head to meet the man’s red eyes.

I flashed him a grin. “You know it wasn’t smart.”

“What wasn’t?” He asked confused.

“You extending your hand out like an idiot.” I swiftly and roughly spun him around and griped him into a headlock. I pulled my gun that was concealed in my coat and aimed it at his head.

The soldiers stopped dumbfounded. Korr swore loudly at me but I completely ignored him.

“Tell them to throw their weapons off the roof.” I commanded my hostage gripping him tightly

He paused for a moment and looked at his squad of soldiers. “You heard him throw your guns off the ledge.” He said.

The soldiers complied without hesitation.

“Now why don’t you get the nice lady off of the crane?”

At first Korr remained silent and then I clicked the gun to give him some more incentive. All that money and power he was still overall a coward. With a few moments he relented.

“Get her down.” Korr ordered. His men looked at each other confused until one of them took the burden and entered the crane. He mounted the crane moved it so Athena was now dangling above the roof.

I heard the door behind me kicked open as Core Soldiers open fire from behind. Korr prone to the ground as I took cover behind an air regulator; the soldier in front of me pulled out sub-machine guns I saw Korr barking orders at his men, seconds later the Core mercenaries began to cut the line.

“Athena!” I yelled. Shooting blindly at them I ran over to the ledge as Athena began to plummet towards the ground. I leaped off the ledge and grabbed her, I felt several bullets pierce me in my back.

I grabbed onto the cable as we began to fall thousands of feet to the upper city of the planet. There was a neon light where the New York Military insignia I lasso the rope to the wall.

“Athena, hold on!”

The rope connected with the sign and we swung into the building idle elevator. Athena closed the door quickly and began a long descend. I looked through the glass in the elevator as the dozens of police lights flashed beneath us.

I tried to sit up, but the pain in my arm became a sharp violent one. Athena crouched in front of me to inspect my wound.

“Damn it Ryan, pull it together.” Athena said.

I looked back Athena who looked shook about everything. “Are you ok? Did they hurt you? Or…” I trailed off.

“I am actually shocked; you…you actually came for me?” She said trying to hold back tears.

“I couldn’t, wouldn’t let Core just kill or torcher you. Not for me.” I said.

Quickly she wrapped herself around me. I felt something stretching across my face I had begun to get a feeling I didn’t have in a long time. Athena raised her brow to me. “Are you actually smiling?” She said.

I felt the large grin that stretched across my face. “I guess I am.”

The stopped roughly on the 20th floor, Athena repeatedly pressed the button to the ground floor, instead the door opened in between the 20th and 19th floor, the space was large enough for us to crawl out on the 20th floor, and Athena kneeled next to me.

“Ryan listens to me; we’re going to get out of this, but it won’t be easy can you still hold a gun?” she asked.

I gripped her palm and stood to my feet. “Come on let’s get out of here.”
Struggling a little bit I crawl out of the space, into the dark narrow hallways. From there it was an all-out fight for survival; Core soldiers waited at every corner, dozens of bullets blew past us grazing my body armor. I hugged the wall and returned fire, I felt my heart race as blood and oxygen was replaced with blind adrenaline. Pulled out of cover and shot three bullets, which tore through their helmets, I saw Athena covering my back firing multiple shots at one of the soldiers, until he fell on his lifeless back.
We ran from floor to floor, making a path downstairs to escape, we ran through the main civilian floors on the 9th and lower; there wasn’t many soldiers around, I guess they didn’t expect us to survive this far. Athena slowed down and stopped for a moment. For me running down eleven flights wasn’t anything special to me, but it was understandable that she felt exhausted.
“Come on Athena were almost there.” I said we were way to expose on the civilian levels, not enough cover and too much light to hide.
“…Just give me another moment.” she panted.
Behind her one of the Core heavy troopers had Athena in her sights, quickly everything moved slowly, from the sweat falling weightlessly to the floor to the soldiers behind us raising their guns. I grabbed Athena and pulled her towards the wall I watched as a wall bullets flew past us shattering the thick glass windows. I stood up from the wall and fired at the soldiers in the head.
I began to tug Athena along. At the same time I tried to get in touch with the military.
“Code in please— an operator woman said.
“No time, listen I need troops at HQ right away!” I said excited.
“Sir, all of the Military troops have been called away into the Richmond Sector.” The operator lady said.
“Then call them back here Core solders are attacking the base and me.”
There was silence for a moment.
We ran all the way down until we reached the main entrance, on the lobby floor Athena burst through the doors and ran onto the city streets. Waiting outside was one soldier with his yellow dot aimed at me. I was ready to dodge, but Athena stood behind me, reluctantly I allowed the bullet to impact me in my chest. I was pushed back and nearly collapsed.
He was all that stood in my way. “Don’t move.” He said.
“Do that again, you piece of crap.”
The soldier aimed his gun getting ready to fire, this time Athena was away from my back. We stood there like it was a standoff. At that moment I could see the bullet launching out of the rifle the bullet was palladium alloyed with a unique movement, I danced a little like a knuckleball, because of the recoil of the gun moving upward.
Quickly I leaned to the left never taking my eyes off of him, didn’t look at Athena or the bullet flying by I raised up my pistol from my holster and fired at the soldier, devastating his helmet.
The man fell downs with his arms spread out like an angel, I grabbed Athena by her hand and we started running, wasn’t sure where, but we ran…

It wasn’t the end of the world, and I could no longer see it either. I was at war. Even as I and Athena walked for god knows how long, everything I have done in my 22 years has not made me superior, but a savage; I tore apart those soldiers, like they were figurines with toy guns. In the process I lost myself, part of me hoped for another solution to the situation that we could have escaped without any bloodshed, but…another part of me, encouraged and hungered for it.

It like an alter-ego where there is no logic, no deductive reasoning; just blind adrenaline fueling an arcane need to eradicate anything or anyone who comes in my way.

We continued to walk in on the street, when the sun began to seemingly creep up from underground. We’ve been running for hours, after our encounter with core. I felt the wound in my shoulder to seriously begin to hurt.

I fell onto the side of the street, exhausted from the excessive walking and the bullet wound. “Ryan!” Athena cried.

Athena tore a piece of her shirt and tied it around my shoulder area.

I stared up at the two moons that loomed over our heads like guardians they were closer together, but possibly from the blood loss they seemed to have been moving.

“Athena.” I said softly.

“What?” she said, Athena devoted more time to my injury than to be fully interested in my inquiry.

“Did you mean it?”

“Mean what?”

“What you said, about not walking the path laid out in front of you.” Her glance shot up at me. When she finished with my wound, she sat next to me.

“Dan, I spent, nearly 400 days studying you; waiting to for the right moment, and collect 300,000,000 Credits.” She leaned in closer. “After, getting shot at, nearly blown up and, captured – I’m glad that I helped you escape that day.”

“So is that a yes then?” We both laughed, but the pain flared up which caused my laugher to become a yelp.

She moved to comfort me, until she glared outward.

“What’s Wrong?” I asked.

“Transports.”

“Core?” I readied my gun. I felt my earpiece in my pocket activated.

I placed the communicator in my ear, hearing the voices of a New York Military Pilot.

“Agent Ryan, this is Military transport Beta 4 please respond.”

I rested in relief. “Beta 4, this is Agent Ryan I’m wounded and need emergency evac.”

“We have you in our sights Agent; Standby for evac.” Moments later the shuttle landed in front of the emptied roadway.
Three Days Later
I was lying in the hospital bed, recovering for a few days at the military hospital. Core was good at covering their tracks; no prints, no recordings, hell not even any bodies. But now Korr and his people was on the run, it won’t be long until we found him. I told Reed that the Assassination attempt on Prime Minister Davis, Core’s doing and Athena was pretty much in the clear.

Minutes later a nurse stopped by, and gave me my medicine.

“Mr. Ryan, how are you feeling?”

“Not bad, can’t wait to get out of here no offense.” I said.

“You and every other soldier here Mr. Ryan.” The nurse places the medicine next to me on my nightstand.

“So how’s Athena Chambers.” I asked.

“Um…Chambers…ah I believed that she checked herself out earlier today I believe.” She said writing on the holographic pad.

“Do you know where she is?” I asked sitting up out of my bed.

“She told the receptionist that she was heading off-world.”

I shot up from the bed, and placed on my coat, thankfully her ship was docked here, at Military HQ, so I wouldn’t have to go but only to the dock levels.

“Mr. Ryan, you shouldn’t be—

“I promise I’ll be right back.” I said exiting the room.

I called for the elevator and rode it to the hanger levels, where her ship was docked. When the doors opened Athena’s ship was there and the hanger doors were opened. I rushed over towards the craft; Athena herself was placing cargo onto her ship.

Athena looked over to me. “What so now you’re following me now?” she said picking up a crate.

“Why are you leaving?” I asked.

“Why not; you have your life back, now I have to get back to mine.” Athena replied.

Athena stopped for a moment out of breath. “At the end of the day, I am a mercenary; it can get dangerous being at one place for too long.”

“You said it yourself “no one has to follow the path set in front of them…including you.”

She smirked. “That’s sweet Dan, but I can’t stay; you have a huge task ahead of you, and if I stayed I would only serve as a distraction to you.”

“Athena, if I don’t have you with me I would always be distracted; always wondering where you are if you’re not by side.”

I was getting ready to continue when she kissed me quickly, and backed away onto her ship. “Don’t get soft Dan; well see each other again…it’s a universe of possibilities.

I watched painfully as she flew away into the city skyline and into space…