Heart Song | Teen Ink

Heart Song

June 2, 2013
By Kelly Carson, chaska, Minnesota
More by this author
Kelly Carson, Chaska, Minnesota
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The sun shone brightly on the village of Dead-Pine, a merchant hawking to sell his stock; much like all the other salesmen. But on this particular day he received a very ominous customer.

“Hello milord; please pick a number, any number. Five? You get . . . five of my best unicorn fowls. They’ll be at your home tomorrow at 3. That is some good luck you have milord” the salesman said as a figure dressed in a long black cloak handed him a small pouch filled with gold coins while keeping his face obscured from sight with his hood. The salesman was a tall, lanky man; standing at 6’2. He had short, fiery red hair and blue eyes. His tanned skin was covered by a pair of dark brown breeches and a plain white tunic.

“Thank you milord and have a wonderful day” the he said and bowed to the figure. This mysterious person simply turned on their heels and walked away from the shop.

“Dear, who was that?” the man’s wife asked as she came out of the back with a jar of dragon fangs. She was an odd thing; hair the color of Daises, eyes as purple as the orchids, and lightly tanned skin. She stood at 5’6 and wore a plain brown skirt that reached her ankles and a chemise as yellow as the sun.

“I don’t know my dear but we can only hope that they never come back. There is an air of something foul around that one” the salesman said as he pulled his darling wife closer. ‘And if they do, may the gods have mercy’ he added in thought.

Three days travel from the town, in a dark eerie forest the cloaked figure walked through tall black iron gates to a large mansion; as ominous as the figure. It stood tall as the pines around it, made of black painted wood in the middle of a large clearing. As soon as the figure entered the front doors they removed their hood to reveal a young man.

His sun kissed hair fell in gentle waves to his shoulders and his eyes were a cold crystal blue could make even the most war hardened warrior shudder in fear. The black cloak contrasted his pale skin, making him look almost dead; and many would think he was if not for the rise and fall of his chest. He was Prince Velkan, son of the king and heir to the throne of Amestria; or would be if there was an Amestria to rule.

Since his birth his father filled his head with stories of how the insatiable greed of the humans led to the destruction of the once proud Fae kingdom. Oh how Prince Velkan hated the humans with a passion; wanting nothing more than to eradicate every last vile mortal.

With swift steps of his black leather boots he entered a large chamber, vacant of all else except four thrones, carved out of black marble. Upon three of these thrones sat a man and two women.

The man had mid-back length black hair that was tied back at his neck with a red silk ribbon. His skin as pale as the young man’s and was marred with battle scars. His eyes were a darker blue then the young man’s but just as cold. This man wore a black tunic with red stitching and lining, black trousers and polished dark brown boots that went up to his knee. Upon his head he wore a silver crown. This was king Uther, ruler of the long forgotten realm of Amestria.

The woman to this man’s right had curly hair the color of wheat that fell to her rib cage. Like the men her skin was pale but held a small hint of color, though not enough to make much difference from a corpse. Her eyes, a deep green, held no love to others who could not see passed her mask. She was a small thing, only coming midway to the man’s chest and was clothed in a dress spun of the finest silk; colored blue. A silver crown inlaid with diamonds rested upon her head. Queen Eleanor was her title.

And to her right was a young woman, not much younger than the blonde young man. Her name was Morgana, daughter of King Uther and Queen Eleanor. Her wild, black hair fell to her waist in silky waves, her skin a luminous pale that seemed to glow in the light of the torches that lined the walls. Her eyes, the color of perfectly cut emeralds lit up at the sight of her dear brother. She stood and her deep forest green dress with long bell sleeves danced around her as she rushed to Velkan and wrapped her arms around his neck.

“Brother, you’ve returned” she said as the man wrapped his arms around her waist and spun her, making her dress flare out before he gently set her on her feet.

“Father, mother I’ve acquired what we have been seeking” Velkan told his parents, never releasing his sister.

“You have done a great thing my son” King Uther replied, a small nod of his head to show his gratitude.

“Have the suitors for sister arrived yet?” Velkan asked suddenly, his grip on his sister tightening slightly. He did not agree marrying his sister to an outsider, let alone a human man. The man who has her hand should be someone of their Fae blood; not dirty human blood.

“They have” His mother answered, her eyes now showing the same disdain for such a marriage that gleamed in her son’s eyes. Eleanor did not want her pure daughter sullied with a human’s child. King Uther’s mortal adviser Lord Hamish filled the Kings head with ideas that if his daughter marries a human man, the humans would put up less resistance when he takes back the land that was once Amestria; before the humans dethroned him in a fit of greed.

“Father please reconsider, a man of human blood is nothing but a hollow, greedy being; not fit to care for your only daughter” Velkan pleaded, hoping his father would see reason.

“I have already decided and Morgana shall wed a mortal!” Uther declared harshly, his cold gaze stopping on his only children. They would understand when all was done; he does this to reclaim what was taken from them long ago.

“Yes father” Velkan replied through gritted teeth, trying not to let his anger cloud his mind. ‘Has father gone mad? No human will ever treat a Fae with the care they need. He is sending sister into a death trap’ he thought as he guided his sister to her throne before taking a seat in his own throne on King Uther’s left side to await the presentation of the suitors. The prince removed his travel cloak to reveal a silk tunic just as black as his cloak, and black leather trousers that hugged his form. The only color upon his clothing was the silver emblem of his family’s royal blood; a dragon entwined with a sword.

The door opened to allow about 20 humans entry to the throne room. Prince Velkan, Princess Morgana and their mother all visibly tensed at the sight of those which they have hated. Yes even the gentle hearted princess had a strong distaste for humans, having had her best friend and lady in waiting brutally murdered by one when they were only 13.

Once the human men were close enough to the thrones they stopped and bowed in unison. Their greed could be easily seen on their faces when they gazed at the beautiful princess. They knew that to wed a Fae, a princess as that would give them riches beyond imagination. All these mortal men did not care about the princess, only the riches. Well almost all.

In the very back of this greedy pack of mortals stood a young man; the son of a nobleman. William Thomas Blackstone was the name his father, Lord Fredrick Blackstone had given him on the day of his birth. His long blonde hair was tied back out of his face with a string of plain black leather, leaving his gleaming hazel eyes to be seen by all. His skin slightly tanned from years of training in the sun. Instead of dressing in his most flashy and expensive clothing William wore a simple blue tunic with silver embroidery along the edges; a handmade gift from his long deceased mother. He also wore simple leather trousers, black knee high boots, and his sword. Although he could not deny that he could use the riches of the Fae to help is village, just to be wed to the princess would be enough for him.

“Welcome mortal lords, to my home” King Uther greeted as he stood to his feet.

“You have all been chosen to compete for my daughter, the princess Morgana’s hand in marriage” The king continued while gesturing to his daughter, who in turn gave a small bow of her head.

“Before you entered this chamber you were given a slip of parchment, please look to see if it has changed color” Uther ordered and all the men did so. Upon pulling out their slips of parchment only six had turned color, a deep blood red. Among those six was young William.

“Those whose parchment has changed color stay; all other are to leave the premises” His majesty ordered and with stubborn reluctance those who did not have the colored parchment left. The king let his cold gaze sweep over the remaining suitors before continuing.

“You remaining six shall battle against each other in a match against one another. The last man alive will wed the princess” he stated and sat back down as the 6 mortal men unsheathed their swords. “Begin” the king’s voice rang out in the throne room and the blood bath began.

William steeled himself and locking his emotions away, his once warm eyes becoming hard, cold and distant. He’d learned over the years of battle that emotions hinder the ability to think clearly and you cannot let your emotions rule over you. With the fast and efficient moves of an assassin William plunged his through one of his opponents back, piercing his heart. Removing his sword form the body he blocked, weaved, and fought through the battle; slicing jugulars and decapitating in opponents until he was the last alive; cover in his enemies blood.

Upon the four thrones the royal family watch in fascination as William cut down his fellow humans without hesitation. Although prince Velkan hated humans he had to admit this young man was a worthy warrior.

Upon sheathing his sword William knelt before the king, showing his loyalty to him.

“Arise brave warrior and claim your prize” King Uther declaimed to the young man who knelt before him.

“Thank you my lord, it is truly an honor to be the man who will wed your daughter” William said as he rose to his feet and glanced at the princess, his bride to be.

“What is your name?” Queen Eleanor asked, slight curiosity in her voice.

“The name my father graced me with upon my day of birth is William Thomas Blackstone” the young Blackstone heir replied. Morgana then stood from her throne beside her mother and descended the five steps to where William was standing and curtsied.

“My lord, I rejoice to know you shall be my husband” she stated the lines her mother had drilled into her head since she had first started her edict lessons.

William reached out a bloodied hand and gently grasped one of hers, lifting it and placing it upon his chest; right over his heart. “There is no greater joy in my mind then to have you as my wife. To care for until the end of our days” he told the princess truthfully.

From her seat Eleanor watched the exchange with growing relief. Not many outside her family knew that she was a reader of minds and auras. She could tell this boy, nay man would take care of her only daughter for deep within his family’s history there had been, or was a Fae in his line; his gentle blue and silver aura told of it. Yes this mostly mortal man would treat her daughter with the care she should have.

“Would you die for her?” Velkan asked as he too stood from his seat and approached the mortal and his sister.

“If it meant her life would be spared, I would” William replied, locking gaze with the prince. Although he did not know the princess he his father had taught him to protect the woman he married, even if it meant dying. For a long moment they stared at one another before the prince finally nodded his head, satisfied with what he saw.

“If she is harmed under your care, your life is forfeit” Prince Velkan warned and William nodded.

“Your wedding shall be in 2 days’ time from now. Returned to your bed chambers and cleanse yourself of your battle” Uther announced, cutting off all other sounds in the throne room.

With a deep bow and a kiss upon his soon to be wife’s pale hand William retreated from the chamber to see his he could salvage his mother’s gift from the blood that marred it.

“He has Fae blood” The queen said softly as soon as William was gone. Her children and husband turned to look at her.

“Are you certain?” Uther asked his wife.

“Yes, but his blood is diluted by the human in him. Still, I do not doubt this Lord Blackstone will care for our daughter” Eleanor replied and the tightness in Velkan’s shoulders disappeared and they slumped in relief. Fae were beings of the earth; they had no real desire for gold like humans. For this boy to have Fae blood running through his veins he would be uninterested in the riches of his family.

“Even if there is but one drop of Fae in his blood, he will subconsciously know what sister will need to be content and safe” he whispered up his family heard him.

“Does he know?” Morgana asked and her mother shook her head.

“He is unaware of his blood, he thinks it all human” her mother replied.

“Either way he is not to be told and neither is Lord Hamish, I do not need another battle in my home” Uther decided and his family nodded their agreement.

“But why only two days until the wedding, father?” Velkan asked suddenly.

“Do you think that the other Fae will accept a human as their ruler? Nay, they will try to kill him before the wedding if the wait was longer. With this shorter time there will be a less likely chance of his murder” Uther explained to his son who agreed with this plan of action. While Blackstone was a formidable opponent he would not last against even four Fae.

“Shall we retire for the day, it has been a long one and you my son have just returned for your travels” Eleanor suggested and her husband nodded in agreement.

The royal family left the throne room together and walked through the halls of their home until they came to their wing. As the king, queen and prince bed each other good night the princess gazed down at her blood smeared hand; thinking about her future and what it held.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.