Never Safe

Author's note: This is just a little something I have began writing. Feedback would be great! I will add chapters as I write.
Author's note: This is just a little something I have began writing. Feedback would be great! I will add chapters as I write.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Chapter 3

I hung up the phone and tossed it over onto my bed. I can't believe I actually got MaryAnn to go camping with me tonight. I smiled slightly to myself and went back to rummaging through my closet. After what seemed like endless hours of digging, I finally found something both cute and comfy at the same time.
I stripped out of my pajamas and threw my black tank-top on. I then shimmied into my cut-off jean shorts that reach mid-thigh and had a rip on one thigh. One bad thing about having long
Who or what is the mysterious thing in the woods??
legs is that you have to be careful of how long your shorts are. I reached back into my closet and yanked out my dark green and black flannel and put it on and buttoned it up until the last three buttons on top were left open; no need to suffocate myself. I shoved on a pair of socks and stuck on my brown and black hiking boots. I laced them up, grabbed my bag from the bed with my wallet and other necessities and put it over my shoulders. I bounded down the stairs and into the living room where my dad was sitting on the couch watching the news; his daily routine.
He glanced over at me with a big smile and asked, "I take it you're headed out hiking?"
"Actually, MaryAnn and I are going to go camping tonight. That is, if you let us borrow the tent?"
"It's all yours sweetie, have a fun time tonight. Just please text me when you get to the site safely."
"Will do dad," I replied as I gave him a kiss on the head and headed into the garage. I pushed the big white button to open the garage door and listened to the large rumbling sound as it made its way open. After I had made my way to the garage shelves, I reached up to the top and pulled my hand away instantly with a shriek. I slapped my hand repeatedly until the large, fuzzy black spider landed on the floor off of my hand. I stomped on it furiously as my heart beat faster than it should be allowed to beat. That spider was like the size of the Empire State Building; it could've swallowed me whole! I took one last deep breath before reaching back up onto the top shelf slowly. I patted around, covering my hands completely with dust and grime. The more I patted around, the more dust that got into my lungs causing me to cough. I felt victorious when I finally felt my hands come down onto a cold tarp which I knew the tent was wrapped in. I pulled on it and yanked it down from the shelf, letting it fall down onto the cement floor with a thud. I wiped my grimy hands onto my shorts and sighed with relief.
A light bulb went on over my head as I realized that I still had to grab myself my blanket and pillows. I smiled at my dad again as I walked by him and back up the stairs to my room. I threw my blanket and pillows into my green duffel-bag along with my grey fuzzy stuffed elephant and zipped it up tight. I always have to cuddle up to something in order to fall asleep at night, it's one of my little glitches. I threw the duffel-bag over my shoulder and made my way back down the stairs and plopped down onto the couch next to my dad, throwing my bag onto the floor.
"Waiting for something?" He asked me as he playfully punched my leg.
I laughed and said, "Yeah, MaryAnn is coming to pick me up. She's driving this time."
"Oh I see, and I'm guessing you don't want to watch the news?" My dad knew that I never really enjoyed watching the news; it only ever held bad news.
"You would be guessing correctly."
"Well what would you like to watch until MaryAnn gets here?"
I gave him a dumbfounded look and he rolled his eyes and asked, "Really?"
"Yes really! Come on, it's only for a little while!" I complained.
"Okay, okay, okay," he said as he went into our recordings and put on a previously recorded episode of Ghost Adventures. The show was just starting to get into the exciting introduction when my dad piped up, "You know, this might give you the creeps. You're watching a scary show right before you go out camping."
I punched my dad in the arm lightly and said, "Hey, you know I'm not all too easy to scare."
"Says the girl who ran away from an animal in the woods," my dad replied, rolling his eyes playfully.
I looked at him appalled, "It could've been a big bear! Or a wolf!"
"It would've just kept right on going unless you threatened it."
"You know, I don't think I want to sit here anymore with you and your sarcastic self," I said, smiling at him while getting up. Just then I heard a horn honk out from our driveway.
"Your ride is here anyways."
I kissed his forehead again and called out, "Love you!" as I grabbed my duffel bag and headed out the front door. I looked over at MaryAnn leaning against her car and started laughing.
"What's so funny?" She asked.
With the outfit she was wearing, she was definitely not ready to go out into the big bad wild. She had on a pair of low-rise stretch faded jeans with holes in the knee and thighs, a white Fitch tank-top with a burnt orange long-sleeved cardigan, and a pair of burnt orange leather flats with a flower on the top of them.
"Is that what you really plan on wearing into the woods?" I asked her with a smirk.
"What's wrong with it?" She asked, a little offended.
I walked over to her and pointed at her cardigan and then to her jeans, "For one, I don't even know how you're wearing that cardigan in the first place, it's super warm out here. That cardigan and those jeans are going to make you sweat." I pointed down to her flats. "Those flats are not going to be easy for you to walk in when you're in the woods. You're going to feel everything you step on and trip over everything."
"I'll be tripping over everything as it is!"
"Oh, and also," I started, pointing at her tank-top, "you probably shouldn't wear a white shirt into the woods, it won't come out clean, I can guarantee you that."
She pouted at me and asked, "Then what do you expect me to wear? It's not like I go camping all the time."
"Lucky for you, you have a friend that loves the outdoors." I grabbed her hand and dragged her through the front door of the house. My dad peaked through the living room opening and laughed once he saw MaryAnn.
"Really? You too?" She complained.
"Sorry, forget I was here," my dad said with a chuckle as he made his way back to the couch and plopped down, turning the channel on the television.
I tugged on MaryAnn's hand and yanked her up the stairs. I pushed her down onto the bed and smiled at her, "Now it's my turn to dress you!"
"Oh jeeze, I remember the first time I did this to you," she said, chuckling.

"MaryAnn, I really don't want to change," thirteen year old me complained.
"You're not going to Jessica's party looking like that," she said with a frown as she began rummaging through her closet. That day I had been wearing a pair of holey jeans and a neon pink pullover with a black tank-top underneath.
"What's wrong with what I'm wearing? We will probably be playing around outside anyways."
"Just shut up and let me dress you."
I flopped back down onto her bed and groaned dramatically. After what had seemed like hours, she threw some clothing at me and I frowned at what I held in my hands. She had thrown at me a tight black tank-top, a ruffled white t-shirt to go under the tank-top and a mid-thigh black and white patterned skirt.
"I am so not wearing this to a birthday party!"
"Please, for me?" She gave me the puppy dog look and I rolled my eyes and actually went through with wearing that outfit. Needless to say, when we got to that party, everybody was wearing varying forms of what I had previously been wearing.

"I still hold that grudge against you," I said while laughing. I began rummaging through my closet and throwing various clothes onto the floor making mountains of clothing. When I finally found the right outfit for her, I threw it at her and said, "Put these on, it will be perfect."
"There is no way I am wearing these things into the woods," she replied. "Definitely not my style."
"Please, for me?" I asked, giving her the puppy dog look she gave to me many years previously.
She sighed dramatically and stuck the outfit on that I had given her. The outfit consisted of a pair of cut-off jean shorts that were mid-thigh and had cuffed hems and raw edges, a purple and black checkered flannel along with a black tank-top, and my extra pair of black hiking boots.
"See? Now that's not too bad is it?" I asked her sarcastically.
"And now you expect me to go out in public and shop with this flannel on? I don't wear flannels," she complained more.
"I think you'll survive," I replied, rolling my eyes at her.
She stuck her tongue out at me and we made our way back down the stairs, said good-bye to my dad, and headed into the garage to grab the tent and the rest of my bags. We piled it all into the trunk with her stuff and slammed it shut. We honked the horn multiple times as we pulled out the driveway, hopefully, successfully annoying my dad.
As we were cruising along the road, I glanced at MaryAnn and asked, "So where are you taking me shopping?"
"Oh, you know..."
"No, I don't know, tell me."
"Ummm... Abercrombie and Fitch..." She mumbled.
"Wait a minute, can you repeat that?"
"Alright, alright! Abercrombie."
I gave her an appalled look and said, "MaryAnn, I don't have that kind of money."
"That's why I'm paying for most of them."
"Them??"
"Yes, you're getting more than one. You're getting me to go spend a night in the woods!"
"I don't want you to be spending your money."
"Oh please, it's not like I don't have plenty." MaryAnn's parents had very high paying jobs. They were never around and she was usually home by herself because of it. Both of her parents were lawyers; great lawyers at that. They travel around the US from client to client wherever they are needed.
"Ugh!" I grumbled as I laid back in the smooth leather seat.
"Oh, quit your complaining. You'll be just fine."
* * * * * * * * * * * *
It turned out that MaryAnn had been right, it really wasn't all that bad shopping with her when I laid down some rules; nothing poufy, nothing brown, no polka-dots, and nothing shorter than just above the knees. MaryAnn actually purchased three dresses for me that were (I hate to say it), really cute. That, and we shopped for longer than I thought we did; four hours. Now it's already two.
As we shoved the shopping bags into the back seat I asked, "So are you ready for our big adventure?"
MaryAnn groaned and replied, "Please don't remind me."
"Oh come on! It's going to be exciting!"
"Maybe for you. Me on the other hand, I will be fending for my very life essence which is blood. The mosquitoes will probably carry me away."
"Oh quit being so dramatic, they're not that bad."
"Yes they are, don't lie."
I changed the tone of my voice to sound childish as I told her, "Don't worry Mae, I will keep you safe from the big bad mosquitoes." Mae is my nickname for her; I chose this nickname because MaryAnn is just too long, and also, it's her middle name; keeps things simple.
Once we were both in the car she slapped my arm and scolded, "Hey, don't make fun of me. I'm not a country girl like you."
"Oh calm down, I'm just playin. Let's get going so we can get started on our hike to the camping area."
She backed out of her parking spot and asked, "We seriously have to hike just to get to the camping area? I thought you could pull right up into camping areas?"
"You normally can, if you go to a designated camping area."
"Oh no, I don't like the sounds of this."
"Just don't worry about it and let me lead the way. My dad has taken me there a few times."
I heard her sigh dramatically as we pulled out onto the highway. The drive there actually wasn't all too long; about a half hour. We were driving along a heavily wooded drive when I exclaimed, "Stop! Pull over and park here."
She pulled the car over and asked, "Are you kidding me? This is literally the middle of nowhere."
"Exactly, which is why me and my dad love it here. It's always so peaceful."
I looked around and realized how long it's been since me and my dad had been here. The bushes along the road had grown quite a few inches and where even greener. I pinched a big green leaf between my fingers and pulled slowly, letting my fingers feel the soft smooth texture. The leaf pulled away from the branch and I let it fall quickly to the ground. I took a deep breath in and could smell the dry, crisp smell of the oak and pine trees intermingled smells. I heard squirrels chirping over nuts and the sweet melody of various birds. Nothing compared to being out in the peaceful, safe sanction of a state park.
I heard the quick snap of a branch and I looked up into the woods quickly. In the corner of my eye, I just saw a quick blur of someone or something as they left my point of view. My heart began to speed up in response, my legs could already feel the burn for the fight or flight response, and my fists instantly clenched. Why fighting was my first move in that instance I had no idea.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

This book has 1 comment. Post your own now!

kcasey17This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Leave some feedback guys! Please (: it really helps me to figure out what I can do better or what I should keep doing.