The Diamond Child: The Royal Child | Teen Ink

The Diamond Child: The Royal Child

March 21, 2013
By NinjaW GOLD, Indianola, Iowa
More by this author
NinjaW GOLD, Indianola, Iowa
14 articles 66 photos 11 comments

Author's note: This piece is like the culmination of all of my ideas about this world, though not the end. I have gotten to know this world of Arundel and everything and everyone in it and all the nooks and crannies and it is a much more complex place than what Part One or Two shows (both at this time are done, but my laptop went kaput with them being on it, so we ware trying to recover that stuff so I can put them on later) but it is a great place with amazing creatures that have their own lives and cultures.

The author's comments:
This does not even begin to cover the surface of Heather's life, I wrote a book dedicated to it, although it was a couple years ago and not the best... but she was born from Sylest Diamond and at the age of six Sylest was killed and she was sent to work at the palace as a maid and there she learned about how cold a world Pallan was. She falls in love with Jonathon who she marries, but while they are courting he gets caught talking to her at night and is flogged publicly, when they get married Alice is the first born, and Hope is next, but Hope dies and Heather falls into a deep depression. Heather begins work with RAM which is against the monarchy and its autocracy and she is caught working with them which is a sentence of treason and death. Jonathon talks to the king Harry and gets him to spare her life, but ends up marrying her to produce a legitimate heir. Jonathon ends up being freed but is quite alone for a while, Heather continues to see him, and he earns the term "queen stealer" and Harry threatens flogging to them both, and Jonathon death, if they do not stop seeing each other, and this is after Rai and Brielle are born. Rai is soon after kidnapped by RAM, and Heather has to keep quite about it. She continues to work at RAM though, and meets Sarah who ends up marrying Jonathon.

“I had a full life, son,” Heather touched my cheek, “You said you wanted to know… I may as well tell you. You met Jonathon already. He was my friend, always. When we were young he would sneak out of his shack so we could talk, we would stay up all night talking. He got caught and… he was lashed for it, but we married soon after.” She looked behind her, “And we lived in our little home that we got permission to build. He was a salve, we did not have much, but we were happy. When Alice was born we knew she would be special, different. Her haze was always strong. Around that time Jamison, who was king at that time and his son Liam died. Jamison, had a heart attack, and Liam was murdered so Harry had the throne. I had gotten involved with the group R.A.M. that you lived in and they had just built their first compound underground and were smuggling in slaves and runaways to keep them safe and get them on their feet. I still worked as a kitchen maid in the palace and often stole food to give to them. I helped to make bedding from my house and bring it to them. If I would be caught I would be in a world of trouble. The group was always staging attacks on important people, even Harry,

“After two years we had our second baby, Hope was her name. She seemed so perfect, did not cry. She died though, just all of a sudden after four days. My haze got me there for a while. I did some things I regretted that I cannot remember doing but I got yelled at by Harry, I could have gotten executed but he told me that I would have to repay him. I guess that what I did was bad, I just cannot remember.” She appeared frustrated then got her bearing back together, “At that time, I did not know what that meant.

“I went back home. Jonathon was angry with me too, but we moved on. We were only married for nine years. I was taken to the palace to marry Harry two months after Lucy was born. Harry said that I could still see Jonathon, well after you were born,” She looked at me, “Your father did not come to see you after you were born, but Alice was there. She was happy to see you. Your father was just scared that you were not his, but I promise you are, not that you do not look like him. Around this time Harry’s leniency with slaves dropped, as many had rioted and halfway burnt down the palace barn, killing a few of his best horses. R.A.M. was not too terribly happy. They said royalty could not rule because they knew nothing. The best king had experiences with slavery, not he himself, but his wife. Elinsiel did so much. I supposed that I would have the same effect. They knew Harry was much better than Jamison or Liam, but they… were not and are not patient people. So soon after I became with Brielle, they kidnapped you and beat your father almost to death. You were not yet three. Harry was terrified and had this entire search party out for you. I went to R.A.M. they said if I told Harry they would have no difficulties killing you, but they did assure me you would be placed with good people. I still wished not to stay quiet, but I had to and brewed over it quite a lot. That was the breaking point for Harry, he thought he was failing. He said that I could not see Jonathon any longer, I was a bad example for Pallan and I was failing as well as Queen. He was so angry when Jonathon came to see Alice and Lucy that I thought he went mad. He hit me and refused to speak to me for such a long time. He threatened to have me lashed if he saw Jonathon inside the palace again.

“When Brielle was born, Harry still was not there. At first I thought it was because he wanted a boy so he could still have an heir, then I thought it was because he was always so busy. It was because he was scared. He never let Brielle out of the palace or out of the eyes of trusted people. He did not want them taking her like they had you. Harry did not want any more children after that.

“He warmed back up eventually. Things had settled down and he was accomplishing some goals. Alice was about fourteen when she woke her haze up. I did not think she was ready although it was woken up and it affected her so much regardless. She started to see some… male friends almost immediately and drinking and leaving the palace. Harry and Jonathon even could not get her to at least act halfway normal.

“Jonathon was now married to Sarah who had come from the original R.A.M. compound. I had helped build up the farms while I cared for her and since then even after you were taken. It made me happy to see so many people going from pure desperation to hope. It was all worth your father’s frustration trying to shut them down. I think he gave up on that mission.

“And Lucy, she started to show signs that her haze had woken. She dove into books more and more and started to take trips to the People all by herself and she learned their dialect. She memorized things so quickly and accurately. She began to write things that she would not share with anyone. She met Bryce,”

“Her husband,” I said.

“Yes, not do not interrupt, that is rude. I am not done yet. They were close and went hiking and tree climbing and so much. I am glad that they got married; it gave me some hope that my children could have a normal life, although Alice easily contradicted that theory. She was always gone for long periods of time, drinking and sleeping with many men. She had absolutely no impulse control. She did what she wanted and when she wanted to do it. Now I do not know where she is at all. Brielle, though, is a curious girl. So beautiful, at that ball she was glowing, every single man in that room wanted to marry her. It is surprising she did not take any of the offers. She just wanted to go back to her workshop, close the door and paint. I would say she is like her grandfather, but I would be wrong. Cane was a painter, but he was not my father. I am an accident, although my mother called me a good accident. My mother was glad that I was born. Now I have to follow in her footsteps. We have all died at the noose, I am not scared, I just do not want to be forgotten. If I were to be, then what is the point? If I were remembered, I would rather not be remembered as a bastard, or a killer or an adulterer, anything like that, true as those things may be. I did not mean to kill that boy who was attacking you Rai. I just wanted to stop him. It was the haze that did it by itself, I swear,”

“I know Ma,” I said and I took her had. She took off a crescent shaped pendant.

“This was given to me by my mother. Alice needs it, if you can find her, will you please give it to her?” She also put two rings in my hand and said nothing about them.

“I will,”

“And you will marry Sari, right?” She smiled so kindly.

“Yes I will,”

“Good, she is a nice girl, very smart too. I think that she would do as Queen. She knows both sides, she told me that she used to live in a rich family,”


“She did,” I said, “Although I am not sure what happened to land her here. She has never told me,”

“Well than find it out from her Rai! These are things you need to know!” She hugged me tightly, a motherly hug. She looked not her age, she was beautiful. Her blue eyes sparkled; she had long black hair, freckles oddly enough. She looked still quite young, vibrant. There was no stress, no fear on her face, no worry in her smile. She was too good to die, although that could be said about a lot of people. “Alright, give your mother another hug, then send Lucy down here when you get a chance. She said she had something to show me?”

I walked up the stairs from the cellar. I went to Brielle’s room and knocked on it, “Brielle do you know where Lucy is?”

“I am busy Rai!”

“Come out here, you have not left your room in three days,”

“I am not done!’ She snapped and opened the door just a little bit. She had her hair in an old white headscarf and she was splattered in paint, “I have not seen her!” She hissed, hands stained by paint, “And I will leave when I am done and ready,” She shut the door.

I found Lucy eventually in Harry’s study, going through all of his manuscripts, “She wants to speak to you,” I said after lightly knocking on the door, “And do not say you are busy as well,”

“I will go,” She attacked the manuscripts and left. I sat in the plush seat looking up at all the portraits of kings past. Larum, the first of the kings of Pallan, his son Iral, and then Larum the second, Shawler, Craven, Elinsiel, Jamison and Harry all in order above the mantle. It was a terrifying thought. I thought of speeches and parades that crown again. It was such a simple but beautiful thing. It was a bit of power every man craved but only a few actually would want.

The past four months had been emotionally draining and a shower of odds and ends of the lives of those who really were my family. I grew up in the far end of Presca, practically detached from the main area of Pallan. Our village was close; everyone was of the same opinion. They were all affiliated with R.A.M. All were relatively poor and yet well off. All did not appreciate the king. I was taken so the king would be molded to their liking. It was hurtful to know all the lies, all adults knew.

Yet I had a good life, no complaining. I had an education from a distant relative of my mother with a touch of the haze, a daughter of Sylest’s daughter Riya. She was quiet, elderly and had passed without any children with a few sisters, two of which were also barren. That family had little luck in life. Elimy was just different.



Sari sat beside me. She said, “You must rest. You have had such bags under your eyes,”

“It is not at all easy anymore Sari… I…”

“I loved your mother Rai-“

“She is not dead yet!”

“Honey, I know… I am sorry, but when I came here, she welcomed me and helped me to adjust, but you must understand; now you must adjust,”

“I thought I did,” I huffed, “Then Alice disappeared, the ball, and Heather killed that boy and the trial and then she vanished and Lucy did too… oh my, too much happened Sari!”

“We got betrothed in that time, do not forget,”

I nodded, “Something good did come from it, yes,”




I dreaded the following day, having slept little I was lethargic. Heather was up and sitting outside the palace, admiring the scenery. Jonathon sat beside her and they were speaking. I ate breakfast with Lucy and Bryce. Bryce spoke freely about many subjects; Lucy had her head buried in some old papers written by my grandmother, Sylest, “What is that Luce?” I asked.

She waved me away, “Just let me figure this out for a moment,” She traced her fingers over odd characters, “My… my! Finally!’ She smiled and packed her things up, “I am just trying to figure out some… more or less lost languages,” There was a smirk on her face. She stood, “Are you going today?

“Do I have a choice?” I asked.

“I suppose so, if you truly wish to stay here, than I believe you should.”




So I did not, I could not, the idea sickened me, but the aftermath was obvious. It was as if a grey mist fell over all of Pallan. The people of Pallan loved her, she was accessible and real. She was more than the Queen; she was this beautiful, lovely woman. Now she was gone. She was many peoples’ hope. She was not gone in memory, though. She was going to live on, that was all she wanted.



Harry became ill in the following months, never again fully well. He called me to his study, “Rai,” He began, “I wish to ask you to halt your marriage,”

“Father!”

“Let me finish, son. I want you to wait until your coronation,”

“Father you will get better,”

“I am afraid that is not so. Your mother told me that the guilt may eat me alive. I believe she was correct. I feel as so, that I am swallowed whole,”

“What are you saying?”

“That I am dying son, and it is what I deserve. I should not put Heather to death. I should have just kept her somewhere safe, with the People or something other than what I did. I know I did things that I should not have done elsewhere as well. I believe you are ready, and that is a great comfort. You will continue my work, better as well I believe,”

“Father you are not sickly to the point of death,”

He chuckled, “I am glad you believe that Rai, but I am not doing well. I can feel it. I am planning our coronation.”





Many months continued on. Something was weighing on Sari, she became distant. I only wanted to marry to keep my promise, and she only wanted her dignity back. There was a separation I did not understand, guilt and sadness. She hardly spoke to me, hardly made any contact. My asking was useless.

Yet the day came, my father passed after a battle with a sickness. The fever took him and soon my coronation was to take place. Sari left her work as a maid, attempted to be accustomed to a different life.

So much was to be prepared, although little joy attached. In one year both monarchs had passed and a young man they hardly knew was about to ascend to the throne. Flowers, wine and meat were gathered and prepared. Sari and I privately married the day before the ceremony to ease the complications. The marriage was nothing special, no celebration. It was simple and nothing to dream about, it was finished. Just one less thing to worry over.

I knew what I was taking up; I had to build a relationship as my father had in the twenty-eight years he was on the throne. They trusted him to an extent, even R.A.M. finally had. I already had R.A.M.’s trust, but little more than that. I had plans, such plans. Little idea of how to execute such thins though.



My twenty-second birthday passed as king and a husband, fatherless and motherless and the only help being my nutty sister Lucy. She was the only solid rock now, she knew of the inner workings of Pallan, how it was I could do as needed.

I wanted desperately to end slavery completely. “It will not happen,” Lucy said plainly, “No,”

“I do not understand, or I do not. I have the entirety of R.A.M. backing me,”

“But not the landowners. They produce much of the food. The palace is built on the backs of slaves,”

“It does not have to be, I do not see why you do not wish to set them free. Your father was a slave!”

“And he is still as poor free as he was a slave. Freedom did not help him,”

“And his wife Sarah? What happened to her you wish to continue?”

“That part you can eradicate all you want,” She sighted, “Anything else, hands off, at least for now,”

“So that is it?” I cried out, “I can do not a thing about it?”

“That I am saying is to get the brothel houses under control first, you are still new to this,”

“Education?”

“Start easy,” She huffed, “You cannot go after everything all at once,”

“I suppose,” She sat calmly with an amused smile, “But I suggest speaking to Sarah first, find out who you can get to first, the person or people who sold her. That is where you need to start,”

“That sounds much too simple, Lucy,”

“Well, you must begin somewhere!” She stood again and patted me on the shoulder, “Now I must meet Bryce.”

“You are leaving?”

“After you speak to Sarah, talk to me, alright? I will be in your study,”

“Tomorrow,”



I walked to Jonathon’s house. It was small, run down, not at all as pretty as Brielle had painted it, as it was in Heather’s mind. Cattle stood in a pen with a few sheep. Through the window of the house I could see Jonathon’s daughter Elma at the spinning wheel. She seemed startled to see me and came to the door, “Hello, King!”

“Hello, Elma, may I speak to your mother?”

“Um… I will wake her, please come in. I will get you some tea,”

“Thank you,” She hurriedly gathered up a cup as I sat at the table. She then woke her mother who came to me. Sarah yawned and smiled, “Sorry, the baby, I swear he does not sleep!”

“How many children do you have Sarah?”

“Four, my oldest is fifteen now, Harren, my son, Elma is ten now, she’s my only girl and my little boy Endi is six and Barry is a few months old now.”

“I am here to speak to you about…”

“Me?”

“I want to end the kind of slavery you were in,”

“And how would you classify that?” Her head went to one side. “Elma, go outside,” The girl picked up her sewing and went, “Well, your answer?”

“I am not sure,” I sighed, “But I wish for you to tell me those who’s…”

“Possession?”

‘You have passed through… I wish to help, Sarah,”

“It is a bit late now. I needed help twenty years ago, not now,”

“There are other girls who do, though, need help now. I can imprison those who have hurt you,”

“You may end up imprisoning quite a lot of men then. Do you include not only those who run the operation, but those who participate?”

“If possible,” I said.

“I grew up by the Big Plantation, but during a drought I was sold off. I was fourteen and sold to a small little cottage. I worked n the man’s house and then sold in three months to a man who worked for a stewhouse. I was kept in a cellar until I gave up. Then he sold me to the Star House as it is called. His name was Robert; he lives along the forest line, a white house with a cellar near his only door with a tall old elm tree. The Star House is by the old Long House. It is underground, just like the third and last place I worked n. The woman who ran it called herself Ever. It was terrible there; so many girls got sicknesses from the men. Others who got pregnant, she would beat them until the baby would die and then she would sell them off because they would look too bad to get a good price. She was always nice to the little ones, the ones who had never been with a man before. They were worth the most. If they were pretty, then Ever would be rich. I got sold because I had been pregnant. I went to an open place, in a house. It was a pretty house. At first it was alright. She made sure that I had nice enough clothes and rest. It was not at all as sleazy. I had to look my best and in the house were many, many washrooms with oil and soap.”

“The woman’s name?”

“Emma-Lee,” she said, “As I was saying, the work was easier, the pay was higher, but she got the money and I got none of it. I did not need to see as many men, although there were more demands. There was one man who I had been seeing for many months. I can draw where his house is, if necessary, if he still lives there. He’s a wine merchant, lots of money, not a kind man and no family. After he stopped seeing me Emma-Lee sold me out because I became ill. I went to another hole in the ground near R.A.M.’s old place.” She drew all the homes she had gone to, one including a familiar house. I would have to speak to my late mother’s brother in law, Hale.

“When I escaped, I already knew about R.A.M. Many girls tried to run away from where I was and went there. That is where I went. I was shaken and scared, our mother Heather was the first face I saw. She got me new clothes and good food. I rested for a few days, but only fear had over taken me. I was scared, but I did not tell her. She prepared a bath for me. I tried to drown myself, but she found me and took me out of the water. She held me in her arms while I was dripping wet and sung to me while I cried. She was quite full with you, and I felt like a child again. She gave me jobs to do after that I no longer had to be idle. She then placed me at one of the farms. After a while she introduced me to Jonathon and we married.”

“Will you tell me about the mill house?”

“The man? He had a mad wife and so many children…”

“They have thirteen now,” I said.

“My, my. He was not a mean man, in fact he was quite nice, one of the nicest, and he bought me things. He was kind and gentle. I think, though, he just needed an escape.”

“He broke the law,”

“But it is not yet law, king,”

“It has been law since the time of Elinsiel, but not enforced and it shall be now,”

“Do not arrest him, King, but thank you for your work.”



I traveled to Carra and Hale’s mill. There were boys everywhere. Although the reasoning of me being here was of the actions of 20 years past, I had right. I needed to know how it was Hale got Sarah.

I knocked on the door. A young boy answered, I assumed the youngest, “What do you want?” He asked.

“May I speak to your father?”

“Well, you can to my mother. My father is busy right now,” I came in and he pointed to a grey woman in a rocking chair, looking outside. Lucy had told me about her, this woman was mad. I stood beside her, “Hello Carry,” Her head slowly turned.

“I never was able to meet you, just Brielle.”

She had large blue eyes, partially grey but long flaxen hair. “Well here I am,”

“You do not look at all like your mother, but neither does Brielle, just your hair. You two do not look like any one. Lucy looks like her father, only Alice looks like my sister,”

“Have you seen Alice?”

“No, is that why you are here?”

“No, I actually wish to speak to your husband,”

“Hale? Oh he is such a nice man. He is so busy though, we must feed all of these boys! Is he in trouble? He has done nothing wrong I tell you!”

“Well…”

“I know he got in trouble a while ago… is it about that?”

“What did he get in trouble for, Carra?”

“He was seeing this girl; he said he was sorry Rai! Do not be mean to him… I was just too much. I know that I frustrate him. He stopped seeing her, and he helped her escape that bad place so she did not have to do that any longer.”

She appeared distraught and I reassured her, “He is not in trouble; I just wish to speak to him,”

“He should be in soon, would you like some wine?”

“May I?”

She stood and scurried around. She appeared small, shaky. Her eyes were cloudy from the haze. She brought me wine and called out the window to Hale.



Hale came and sat with me. Carra left nervously to her sewing room. He seemed nervous as well, he was a large man, strong, big boned with a round face. “Sir?”

“I know this is not a comfortable topic, but I need you to tell me how it was you found Sarah?”

“I thought that was all behind me…” He sighed, “We did speak a lot, I know a bit much about her. She was young, twenty years old, having lived much of her life in misery. I wanted to help her, to be nice to her. I … well… saw her in the street and spoke to her and well… you know. I started to see her often and after a while I told her she needed to escape. As soon as she was ready I told her about R.A.M.” He took in a deep breath, “There was something about her, I loved her… she was such a strong girl. It amazed me how she could pass what had happened to her,”

“To some extent, she still has weaknesses because of it,”

“Where is she now? Is she alright?”

“She is married, with four children, all doing well. She lost three though,”

“Who is her husband?”

“Jonathon, Lucy and Alice’s father,”

He nodded, “That is good,”

He gave me all names and places I needed to know. He said, “I love my wife, sir; I did not mean to hurt anyone,”



I gave what I had found out to Lucy. She told me to raid those places as Elinsiel once did, arrest the parties involved and house the girls as a R.A.M. facility. She said she would come with me the next night.

Bryce, Lucy and I as well as my guards went to the brothel’s first, sending a few others after the dealer. We found misery as Sarah said, taking and freeing at least fifty girls and arresting five of the stewholders, six dealers and ten men who were involved. Our prison was full and fines were given to help R.A.M. pay for taking all of the girls in, and Lucy and I placed them in the morning. Many were shaken from the ordeal and some were sick and hurt. We carefully housed them and used the fine money to pay for new clothes, and soap for the girls. We quickly went to the both of the other “houses” that night and got forty more safe and arrested many more people.



The following days were consuming. Sari did her part to help once Lucy seemed to disappear. She said she was traveling to the People.

I went to Sarah to tell her the news. She was holding her youngest son and patting his back, “I wanted to tell you that we took down the houses and arrested those in charge. All of the girls are at R.A.M. camps now and safe,”

“Thank you, sir. Did you speak to Hale? Is he arrested?”

“I did speak to him and he is not,”

She smiled and put her hand to her chest, “How many girls?”

“About ninety, ma’am,”

“It is terrible,” she said, “I am going to head there and see what I can do to help. They gave so much to me,”

Jonathon came up behind her, “Hello Rai!” he smiled. The man did not appear as I met him. He had aged greatly as he did not take Heather or Harry’s deaths lightly. It had hit him hard. He had said he lost most of everything, his entire family in a fire, Hope, his second child, three of his children with Sarah, now Heather and Harry was his friend. I wanted to lift some of the burden off of him if only a little bit.



Lucy returned her pack full of parchment. “Rai,” She grasped my shoulder immediately, “Come with me,” she brought me to the study. She slapped the paper down on the desk table. She said, “Rai… I do not want to do this, but will you read this?”

She had translated it already.


Dear Rai,

You are not alone, Pallan is not alone. There is more than Kellise, more than the seemingly endless forest. The rest of the world has been hidden from you and your people, mostly for the haze’s safety. We cannot wait any longer for the haze. The outside world is at war. We are at the brink of total destruction, and the haze is the only thing that can stop it. Your sister Alice has the haze strong enough to end the mage Barzilla’s life that has begun this hundreds of years ago. Please come to Kellise.

Queen Aviara


Lucy had her hands on her hips and swayed back and forth. “This is mad,” I said, “You have read the history. The wars destroyed the rest of the lands,”

“They were false,” She answered, “Sylest wrote them to keep Pallan in the dark about the rest of… everything. I have spoken to Aviara myself.” She sighed, ‘Rai I know how it sounds, but I have read all Sylest wrote, she had the real history and the real maps and cultures all written down, but not in the common language so it was not understood. We have all been lied to. This is the truth, I promise Rai,”

“I do not have the mind power to deal with this! Nor the time, I cannot up and leave my people, Lucy. That is an absurd demand,”

“I know it sounds absurd… but it is necessary. Pallan is so small, and it is safe. The Ashling Marsh protects it. Please, everywhere else needs you,”

“They need Alice,” I said, “My haze is weak,”

“It is not awake,” She chirped, “Although I do not recommend changing that state. No one knows where Alice is; besides I wish to get to Kellise I two weeks, make preparations,”

“Brielle? What about her?”

“Set Bryce in charge,” Lucy, “Brielle is too filled with her hobbies,”

The author's comments:
Rykers were tall, large, and burly man like creatures of the depths of Caval Elle who were known for often traveling outside of their land more so than any of the other inhabitants, but they fought to the death when the Dark people invaded and no one believed that any where left, but it seems that Barzilla took some with and must have experimented on them, realizing that they were not going to cooperate, he left them in a "safe" place.

The heavy door creaked open. A stream of silver moonlight poured in, creating a shadow of a tall Dark One general. The heavy door slammed shut, it went black again. Soon a lantern was lit and the heavy footsteps proceeded, stepping on the dry, dusty straw-covered ground. The musty air hung overhead, I struggled to see through the dim light.

The figure was approaching me, a familiar face. I shook in contempt. A dark, old key came from his pocket and unlocked the cell door. He big silently for me to stand and I complied, having no choice. He led me up the steps and out into the night. I breathed in the air, it smelled of smoke, but it was yet a comfort. The air had a chill to it.

He led me along the bare ground toward the camp. His tent was ahead, now it was distinct, a deep blue with gold lining. We entered and the smell of thick ale and leather encompassed me. He walked to a sword case resting on his cot. He opened it, but did not touch it the blade itself, “You recognize this,” he said to me. The first words spoken this night and I looked at the blade, beautiful it was, it had belonged to my father and the king before him. It was the strongest of the Pentilin swords, it had such powers. I had learned sword craft with that sword. I grew up with it. I nodded. “Speak!” He yelled.

“Yes, I do recognize it, Jakia,”

“I know your name,” He said, touching my face as if there was an affectionate part of him, “Asella, the daughter of Aeduuin,” He chuckled and pulled back, he grabbed a black bottle of ale from the ground and began to guzzle it down.

I knew these nights, I dreaded these nights, but they were also my saving grace. It was Jakia that had both given me asylum and showed me horrors I never wanted to know. I was spared yet from some training, given better food, anything but that damned pottage. I learned plenty of Ebonwood, all in Jakia’s drunken ramblings.

He was not necessarily violent; understanding that he truly was a Dark One, bred to fight, but it was because of him there was a possibility of escaping.

As morning came, Jakia was still yet passed out. I stood and walked around. I took a spare key of his and the key to get the bracelet off of me. I could only use the power given to me if the bracelet was detached.

“Jakia,” I said, lying now beside him, “You must wake, it is time!”

He groaned and rolled around, he sat up and smiled then, “Well hello,” He said, still appearing drunk. He stood up from the cot and prepared himself. I was filled with some happiness as the night was over and I had the keys. I had been in Ebonwood for twenty years of my life; I felt I was going down the road they wanted me to. I was starting to not feel, to not feel the pain and grief I once did. I had to leave to keep what I had left in me.

“Oh I have to take you back,” He sighed. He took my head and we walked out of the tent. I took in a deep breath. He hurried forward. A long line of servants and Slavinicas stood at the well for water. Many eyes hit me.




The door slammed to the compound. Torches were lit, there was some light. The straw in my cell was changed, new water and a bowl of food. No pottage, there was no training today. I could tell by the food, we all could. My things were still hidden and safe. Bevellea knocked on the wooden wall between us. There was a small hole; I could see him, “I am sorry we could not go. Tomorrow,” I said.

“It is not your fault,” He said in his deep voice, “Tonight. I will speak to the others,”


Night did fall. I heard the sounds of the rally. We stayed as silent as possible, making it out of the compound but we had the rest of Ebonwood and we had battle to fight yet before us. Fire was off in the distance surrounding Barzilla’s tower. It was a stocky, sharp building, made to impress with many, many windows. Spiral towards near it were connected by bridges.

This was our perfect and only chance. Only a single stone wall stood in our way. Bevellea urged me on, Eveste and Gamen followed in step. Some stood in our way; I unlocked my bracelet last as a guard attacked. I went as a large cat to get him out of the way. It had been long since I had tasted nomad blood.

We were now free and climbed over the stone wall slowly and carefully, and then ran into the forest to be covered by the brush, “Stay here,” I said.

I went into the form of a bird and flew to Jakia’s tent. I was going to reclaim my people’s property. Jakia was not in sight, so I grasped it in my talon’s and flew off to where my company was waiting. I dropped the sword onto the ground where Eveste lifted it up and smiled, “Asella!” I came down, back to my natural form.

Bevellea said, “That was simple, but they will catch up with us later,”

“Jakia has told me some things,”

Gamen had jumped away from the sword, it was Pentilin and he was dark, having been Barzilla’s test rat. Born a Dark One, he had always been in the clutches of Ebonwood and he had seen the creation of the compound as it was today. I believed he suffered more than us all, having no ‘gift’ from this, but a bunch of magic floating inside of him with no way of knowing how it use it or dispel of it. Yet he had lost nothing from this. The rest of us had.

Bevellea was a village man of Ellmere, with a wife and children a family. He was just unfortunate to go hunting in a not so safe area of southern Ellmere and to stop to take a drink at a river. That was six years ago and now he was able to control water as his ‘gift.’

Eveste and I were of Aylwin, I being the daughter of the king and him, an advisor, and in hobby, the gardener. Now his gift was to use the thing he loves the most, to kill, and he chose not to, finding that to be a disadvantage with the guards. If we did not leave, he surely would have been killed. He had been here for eighteen years, I for twenty years. For those twenty years I had not seen my land and although that is a short time for my people I am quite young. Although looking adult I am but an adolescent in my 201 years! I was still my mother Pridwyn’s pride and joy. Eveste, I dare say, is not young, having been on the earth since before the early Times of Separation, with the king Allistair. He clocked in at around 2,000. He did not appear burdened by age as my father, although my father was older. In some hope in my mind I wished I would never see that many days and times. The times would never, at this point, turn good. No hope was left, Barzilla always had his tricks and he had killed the haze! And without that haze, Barzilla will live always, with no way around it. I could only dream that Sylest had a child who had and carried on the haze.

We all looked afflicted by Ebonwood, we all carried markings now, Eveste being most evident. There was a dead tree growing as a mark on is back. Bevellea had a ribbon, in sorts, wrapping around his right arm and four dots under his left eyes. Gamen was only bearing the markings he was born with. I… had very little to say for markings which made me happy, there was some normal left in me, but I would never been the same. I would die no longer as an elf, I was labeled a Tier. We all were and we wanted to fight it, to fight with the good side in the fight that would never end. It had been going on all of my life and before, I knew nothing but it.

“Which direction do we go?” Gamen asked.

“Straight west,” Bevellea said.

“Bevellea that is not safe, the Bayda demons are in the mountains,”

“They are legend and we are suspected to go south around the mountain. Either way we are going through Gehenna,” Gehenna was but a wasteland, a grey area of the land of nothing and no inhabitants but a singular rebel nomad tribe. The Bayda demons, to my people, were known, no legend. They were cave dwelling creatures, of thin bodies and small eyes. They were not known for pleasantries, but attacking and consuming anything with a pulse. Partially blind as the sun was not a friend of them and terribly thin they were! Not much was there for t hem to eat, and they were not known for traveling outside Mt. Leery.

Eveste went quiet. He liked for people to learn lessons, whether or not getting to the conclusion was dangerous. So we trekked forward, carefully. Gamen was behind to stay away from the Pentilin sword.



It was morning before we took a rest, lit a fire for warmth. All trees in the forest looked like they were locked in perpetual winter. We all were hungry and thirsty but there was nothing to solve either issue so there was no reason to complain. Eveste jumped up, “I hear footsteps!”

“Yes?” I said.

“There are some coming, seven in all. We must go forward, a fight,”

“I could do that for a change. Put some of them down!” Bevellea cried out.

“You have nothing to fight with,”

Bevellea smiled slyly, “They never looked in my boots,” He had two daggers now in hand, “And that sword will keep them weak anyway,” He smiled and said, “I am ready.”

“What am I supposed to do?” Gamen asked, “I have nothing.”

“Gamen,” I said, “Go up the tree and stay there. You should be safe, we will take care for them,” He nodded sadly. He knew a bit of handling a sword; he did not want to have to stand out of this.

We stood together, carefully. I did hear the steps and turned to my large cat form. Maybe I would not be hungry after this.

The party approached, Jakia was not among them. Bevellea had his hand on my head, “Go after the blue-eyed one,” It was the largest of the group, yet the thick nomad did not appear smart in any form. I ran behind the group and hid, then pounced upon his back as the other two each took care of three.

In anger my shifting was uncontrollable, meaning I could not turn back until I calmed down. Gamen climbed down, “Are they all dead?”

“Probably,” Bevellea answered.

We walked along. I was no longer hungry, but terribly thirsty. We needed to find some water.



Eveste said, “They are not the last,” We recognized that as fact. We were not safe until we stepped into the western half of the Northlands. We were going to Kellise to see Aviara and to tell her what we knew. The people in a way withdrew from the fight. They believed their infliction was already too much. They believed the haze was not coming back because of human stupidity and weakness. Despite Allistair’s best intentions giving it to a non-human or elf, that child fell into a human world with human thoughts and culture. There was no reason for her death given, but it was because of the humans and the cursed nature of the haze.



I thought of the Slavinica Kiena. We would bring new light, hopefully to the war as she had intended.

The mountains were insight now. It was but a slight comfort. We would have to cross tem instead of taking the pass.

The second party came to greet us and we left them with ease. They were only brutes, not cunning in any form of the word, no power.

Gamen was falling weaker from being around the sword. All the while Eveste seemed infatuated with it. It was the only connection to his home, as old as time itself. I had to go back to Aylwin, not to stay in his hands. We tried to keep a distance between the two.



The mountain became larger and clearer. There was an ease already around us. The search parties had given up and we only needed to overcome the mountain and Bayda demons. Bevellea constantly pushed forward. He dreamed of his family, “The sooner this is over, the sooner I can be at home,” We walked along and into the area of Gehenna. It would stretch even to the other side of the mountain, “Then I would see my Rosalie, and my Killia and Laren and Bently.”

“How old would they be?”

“Killia would be twelve now, Laren ten and Bently would not yet be seven. He was just a tiny baby when I last saw him. They must think me dead, either that or long gone. I wish they would know I did not leave! This was no choice of mine. No one would choose this.” He sighed, “I miss my village and the people. I miss the dances and feasts that is where I met my Rose! We married when we were twenty-four. We waited so we could have the perfect house; I worked so hard to build it. Five years later we had Killia. Oh I wish I could see my spit-fire again! She always had something to say or do. She loved life. Oh I hope they are still at home and safe. I hope the nomads did not get to my village,”

“You must be patient,” I said. Ellmere was directly north of Ebonwood and we were going southwest.

“I suppose that is not a choice either. You will be near home, Asella,”

I am not sure I can go there and expect to be welcome,”

“I see nothing of why not,”

I did not answer, wishing to wait to answer at a better time, but I had thought over it many times.



Mt. Leery was ahead of us. We traveled up the steep slope, our last meal having shared a single duck; we were not fit for this. The day was waning which was a concern. Bevellea was worried only for the cold we would encounter. We were at the lowest part of this area in the hope to shave off some time. Caves were ahead. Eveste held onto his sword.

It’s the sun ceased to shine and stayed only at the horizon we heard rustling. Out of the cave rushed an army of the winged, wicked creatures. “So much for the legend!” Gamen cried out, “Why did you not listen to the elf!”

We rushed into a crevice. Eveste caught sight of a vine and had it push rocks into the entrance and create a barrier. We heard the screeching and biting and tearing and fighting. The vine continued to grow to combat the struggle. “Wait, we have to wait until daylight,” I said.

Gamen said, “They will calm down, and then we can sneak out of here,”

“It is safer to wait,” I said, “We should not have gone up here in the waning day,”



We saw traces of sun, the poor vine retracted and we pushed the rocks out from the barrier. There still was one waiting. It looked at us as we stood in the shadow. Its wings came unfolded and it hissed viciously. It then flew into the air, coming toward us. Eveste held the sword up and it went through. As it fell to the ground it transformed, ‘What is happening?” Bevellea bent down to see it as it finished, a Ryker. “I thought they were killed off!”

“We all did,” Eveste said, “It was the Pentilin!”

More escaped the caves and Eveste carefully did not kill them, but cut them all with the sword as the wings were absorbed first and they fell to the ground. They calmed quickly and seemed intrigued, stopping their anger. There had to be at least ten of them now back in their Ryker bodies. Eveste walked to each of the others, made a cut on their hands and watched them change, all of them. “What are we to do now?”

“Get them down to the warmer climate,” I said. They all appeared sickly and thin. We led the twenty we had down the mountain and we could see the nomad camp. The noon was coming and there was warmth coming to us with it. As soon as the reached the camp we were greeted by a tall chief. He smiled, “Travelers! What is your business?”

Bevellea said, ‘We have escaped from Ebonwood and need to go to Kellise, but it has been a week since a true meal, we would like to rest here,”

“Odd group you have here,” He said, “Seems that you have brought the Rykers down from the mountains! Come, come, we will find something for you all to wear,” They passed behind but the chief’s eyes went to the sword, “Now keep that sheathed and away from my people,” He led us to his tent, “Please wait here,” We sat on the soft carpets, admiring the furniture, some was made by nomad hands, but much was elvish, made by Tellsens and humans. The Rykers were led off and greeted by the nomads. It was odd, the Rykers had been destroyed by the dark races and now they were being protected by them.

The author's comments:
I am writing something right now about the Eleionomae and how they ended up in the marsh. :)

Sari sat at the vanity and looked in the looking glass. “Damn this thin!” she cried out, I was surprised. “Can you have it taken out of here?”

“If you wish, may I ask why?”

“It disturbs me,” She answered frankly, “So what was it you needed to tell me? I must tell you something as well, but you should go first,”

“Come here please,” I beckoned and she sat beside me on the bed, “We must go to Kellise in a week or so,”

“Why?”

“Lucy showed me a letter from Aviara that she had translated,” I told her what I knew as briefly as I could.

“No, no,” She crossed her arms, “You cannot leave, you will not!’

“Sari, I…”

“Rai, I am with child and you will not go out to who knows where only to get yourself killed. You will be here for it!”

“I do not have a choice, Sari. I am sorry, I must go,”

“Madness this is. So who will be in charge? Surely not me.”

“Bryce and Lucy, when Lucy comes back anyways,”



Sari was angry with me, saying I was being irresponsible. That the rest of the world was not ours to worry about, and what use was I if Alice had vanished.

I set Bryce out to search for her while Lucy, Sari and I prepared to leave. We brought food as Lucy said was necessary. We would travel north and stay in Presca with my family for the night and one of the People would meet us and lead us the rest of the way.



I finally saw my home after two and a half years. All seemed well and the same. My parents’ cottage was still in the same order, my father still himself, “Son!” He cried out, “Mary come out here! Rai is home! He is home!” He hugged me and Mary ran out and cheerfully said, “Hello Rai!’

They both pulled away, “Hello, “I said, “This is my wife Sari, and my sister Lucy,”

“Welcome, come in!” She said and brought us in, sat us at the table and brought tea. She sat down and said, “We heard about you a lot. All of the things you have been doing and your family as well,”

Father said, “Oh yes, we have and w are very proud! You have turned out to be everything we have hoped! Now why are you all the way up here?”

Lucy said, “We are going to do some traveling; looking for a place we can build upon,”

“Oh yes,” Mother said, “Well you may stay here for as long as you wish,” We went to my room, it had not been touched, I still had clothes and other assorted things. I gave Lucy my bed as it was much too small to fit Sari and I and we laid quilts out on the ground to make it softer. It was evening when we arrived so supper was soon and Sari retired early while Lucy and I stayed with my parents talking.



I woke to tapping on the wall. It was so familiar. I ran outside to meet my friend Ellie. She hugged me tightly, “You have been gone for so long!” We walked to our tree which we sat beneath, “You look so… normal!”

“I changed into the clothes that I left here, “I said, “You do not look a bit different!”

“Good or bad?”

“Good,” I smiled. We sat down; she was wrapped tightly in a quilt, “What has happened since I left?”

“Everyone is getting married, our friends at least. Johnny already has kids, twins,”

“Johnny? Huh, who is he married to?”

“Amelia,” She said, “They courted for such a long while though! I think she was carrying before they married. It was only a few months later they had the twins! She’s only like nineteen now, it is a miracle she is still alive!”

“What about you?”

“Seems everyone is taken, you too. Was she the blonde of the black haired girl?”

“Oh Sari, she has the black hair,”

“Funny name, so who is the other girl?”

“One of my three sisters, Lucy,”

“I am sorry to hear about your parents, your birth parents,”

“Yes,” I looked down, “I felt like bad luck. My wife too does not seem happy,”

“She is Queen, she has everything, including an amazing husband,” She huffed, “Before you left you said we would get married,”


“I know I did, but I did not know I was about to get sent to the palace, nor what would happen,”

“What did you get her pregnant and then marry her?”

“No just the other way around,”

She looked down, “I just hoped you would have came back for me,”

“Ellie, I would have, but I fell in love with Sari and so I married her. It is done,”

“I understand,” Ellie took a deep breath and put her head on my shoulder, “It is so odd to think of you as the king. You are not the most regal of people.” We laughed, “Do you remember when we made that mud puddle and jumped in it?”

“Yes our parents were so angry!”

“It took me half the day to wash away all the mud, but it was worth it! Thomas, he said he caught a lot of fish that day since we were splashing them all toward him!”

“Or when you dog ran into the wood and we ran after it!”

“We were like twelve and he was so much faster!”


“And we tripped over the log and just lay there laughing,”

“You kissed me that day, first time and not on the hand,” She chuckled.

“And you ran away!”


“And you did not chase me!”

“I did not know I was supposed to! I thought you were angry with me.”

She was smiling so brightly and just waited to think over her words, “If you kiss me now I will not run,” She said.

“I am married!”

“It will not hurt anyone,” She touched my cheek and I nervously placed my lips on hers. She wrapped her arms around my neck and pulled away, leaving her head on my chest, “That was all I ask for,”She moved closer to me and wrapped the quilt around us both, “How long you are staying?”

“We will be leaving in the morning,”

She took a breath, “Do you remember when you tried to ride your father’s big horse when all you had ridden was the pony and you fell off?”

“You thought you could fly that one day!”

“I did not jump!” She defended, “I tripped and fell. You thought I was dead, it was just that my eyes refused to open,”

“We were all scared and you acted so weird for a while. You told Tylem to jump into the river and drown,”

“I was not right in the head, Rai! He was annoying me anyways.”

“He wanted to court you!”

“Tylem’s scrawny and short with the biggest feet I have ever seen!” She yelled out.

“That is not nice! He has a handsome face though,”

“Maybe. What does your wife say about you?”

“Well, she said I am the most handsome man she has ever met!”

“Hah!”

“What?”

“You are pretty average.” She smiled and poked me in the side, “You have gone soft already! Have not worked a day since you left, you were nice and toned. Now you are all skinny and squishy!”

“Thanks Ellie,” I sighed, “That is what stress does, I suppose,”

“Maybe you should fix that.” She said plainly, “How long will you be gone?”

“I do not know, Ellie. I have to go do something and I will be out of Pallan for quite some time,”

“Why?”

“I cannot say,”

“I am your best friend! I have been for all your life!”

I told her in my easiest words just to make it not so scary sounding, “But this is between you and me. You can tell no one, not my parents especially. It was kept a secret from me even,”

“I will keep quiet,” She said. She then yawned and closed her eyes momentarily. I hugged her to me and we just watched the river go by. I fell asleep and woke before the sun. I stood from the ground, Ellie shuffled and yawned, “I must go home,” She said. I kissed her cheek. “Goodbye,” I wondered if I would ever see her again.



Sari was still asleep, Lucy as well. I lay back down to sleep. I woke once again to the welcoming smell of food cooking. Lucy was awake and moving around,”Sari, wake up dear,”

She complained of tiredness, but I was able to rouse her to go to the breakfast table. Mary had prepared a great deal of food although we had brought enough to eat. “Where were you last night?” Sari asked.

“Speaking to a friend,” I said, “Ellie has been my friend since we were terribly young,”

“Oh yes, Ellie!” Father exclaimed, “She has been asking about you, wanting to know everything!”

“Well I got her all caught up and talked about old stories and funny stories,”

Sari appeared unhappy but soon we would have to leave.



There was a knock on the door and Lucy rushed to get it. One of the People stood in the doorway with a long grey dress and white headscarf, “Linli!” Lucy smiled and hugged the girl warmly.

“Are you ready? We still have a day’s journey ahead of us,”

We gathered our things to pack on the horses. Ellie stood by the road, a melancholy look on her face. She waved a bit, I hope I would come back to see her.



Linli’s horse was a curious thing, silver in appearance, tall and lean with small features and a quick even gate. Just as odd an appearance as Linli herself. She appeared like an angel, like she would blow away in a strong wind. Yet she was so reserved, just as stone as well. I did not understand, but as we traveled forward Lucy began to speak to her. It was not a language I understood, although some words were the same, it was a singing like accent, beautiful although there was a marked difference between Linli and Lucy.

Sari seemed quite annoyed by their speaking not so we could understand. She took heavy breaths that at times turned to growls but they always seemed to leave quickly. So we pulled ahead of the two.

We were now in the country side, relatively uninhabited by anything beyond a pasture or two of livestock and wild animals. It was such beauty, rolling hills with tree lining, “If we headed three days east, we would be near the sea,” Linli said, “It is a beautiful coast up north that is. Your people would do well to live there, although I suggest not allowing travel,”

“I should do that,” I said softly, “Another thing to think over,” I had never seen a sea before, or any of my people, nor heard much about it other than you could do better fishing there than the river, “Would I be able to get maps from Kellise?”

Lucy said, “I can transcribe some,” She looked to me, “I even know what good eating fish live there,”

“That is good,” I sighed. At times she greatly annoyed me with her knowledge, but it was useful in most cases.

Sari continued to awe at the sights, trails I assumed were only traveled by the People. Linli said, “Rai, I can tell you why ending all slavery cannot happen,” Her horse moved up beside mine, “It would unmask my people. We suffer from a curse given to us by Barzilla, something similar to the reason your haze is far different than was created. To Barzilla, our kind, elves, are prideful, and he wanted to inflict onto us, their pride but unbearable, so we humble ourselves. Aviara sends untruly ones to Pallan as slaves until they learn how to handle it, then they are bought and taken back. We must keep that. We cannot turn to Ellmere consistently and safely,” Linli explained, “Ellmere is at war, and they will put our people at war although I must say the fight is everyone’s,”

So I thought, long and hard about it, but the interest of the upcoming marshes pulled me away. I heard singing such beautiful and wonderful singing! The bracelet on my wrist was getting hot; I looked down at it in confusion. The singing was louder and greater! I went forward to the sound.

Lucy called, “Stop Rai!”

Linli’s horse ran past me quickly and stopped in the marsh’s overgrowth. The singing suddenly stopped. All figures disappeared into the water, “You could have gotten yourself killed Rai!” Linli said sternly.

“What?” I said confused.

“They would have gotten a hold of you and take your energy,” She seemed very angry, “Come on,”


I looked to the water to see the faces watching me. Some of them crawled warily out of the water as we passed them by. They were beautiful, human like creatures. They all appeared different and had finds in the water for their bottom half and outside of the water, they had legs.

“We are almost there,” Lucy said, I could see a beautiful clearing ahead, bright and lovely and green. I felt suddenly exhausted, tired and sleepy. Sari was asleep and Lucy was struggling.

The author's comments:
I figured that there just had to be rebel nomad group somewhere and this was the perfect place for them. Gehenna was neutral territory, even though multiple places lay claim to it. The rebel group also had to have the most adorable little girl ever in it! I love Aevy!

A small girl walked into the tent carrying a pitcher of water and a plate of meat, cheese and bread, “Hello, my name is Aevy. Chief Grendlam has sent me to serve you,”

“Thank you, dear,” Bevellea said, “How old are you?”

“Four,” She said proudly.

She placed the tray on a low, rug covered table. “I will be back later to show you where you are staying!”

“Aevy,” Eveste began, “Where did they take the people who were with us?”

“To get clothing. A group will take them to Aylwin,”

“We are going to Kellise though,” Gamen interjected.

“Not you silly! We are on good standing with the elves there. We are their friends!” She giggled, “The king, he came here once,”

“He is my father,” I said.


“He is? Wow! We do not have a princess here, our chief only has one son. His mate got killed by the mean tribe up north.” She sighed, “But he adopted his sister’s daughter Limira, her parents also got killed. Today is a good day for you to be here! We are having a coming of age festival. I know you come from Ebonwood so you must have seen some. We do not kill any one so we are different. Two boys, they came back from hunting last night and Limira, she is getting her scars today,”

“What do you mean?” Bevellea asked.

Gamen said, “Nomads now do not have markings like Dark Ones do, so those without marking get designs etched into them and the ashes of their birch wood… or a family member is rubbed in,”

“Yes! When I get older that will be done for me. Well I will be back soon, enjoy your food! It was made for the chief! He really is nice,”

Bevellea smiled, “She reminds me of Killia, she is just like her,” He sighed, “Well, she looks different and is a nomad and looks twice her age, but… how she acts!”

“Bevellea…” I laughed, “You will see her soon enough.”

Gamen huffed in delight from the food, “I wondered what difference they have in their coming of age ceremony. I am excited to see!”



Two boys exited a tent, they both wore simple white tunics and carried their kill which was soon to be a feast for the tribe. The chief took the kills. He gave them each a dagger, they were to prepare it while Limira came out in a two piece tunic revealing much of what had been etched in her skin, with the ashes of her parents. Aevy yanked on my skirt, “She is supposed to pick one of them to be her mate, the other’ll just wait until next year when three girls come of age,” She bent her head to one side, “I wonder if he will have all three,”

“What do you mean?”

“Some of them have more than one mate,” She said, “We have more girls than boys and they all want to have a mate,”

Limira brought out a wonderful tapestry, “All girls here have to make one of t hose, it is like a dowry and she makes all of the other food for the feat,”

“How does she choose which of the boys?”

“They have endurance tests while the meat cooks over the fire,” Aevy sighed, “They travel to the spring inside the mountain and swim, then they will do some climbing. If they were like other tribes, they’d fight and hopefully kill someone,” The people of the tribe began to migrate over the mountain and we followed the entrance to the “cave” was hidden behind rocks and the boys moved away the rocks themselves, something I would find tiring in itself. Aevy said, “It will e really cold, the water,” She said, “Last year, one of the boys had to leave because he was really cold,”

The two broke through and stood near the water and went down to their skivvies. As the chief entered they dove into the water and were supposed to swim to the other side of the mountain, quite a journey, the exit also barred by rocks. By horse we went into the cave to watch, following Limira. Limira said, “Things live in the water, there is a reason that they wear their daggers now,” She seemed delighted by this.

“Do you already know which one?”

“Kentel is much stronger,” She said, “The other one may not make it. He might swim, but climbing, he may fail, but if he pulls through, I do not know.”

The horses walked at an even pace as the boys continued to swim, “Kentel is ahead?” I asked, as they were not even.

“Of course,” She said, ‘But he is getting to the snakes,”

“Snakes in such cold?”

“Well, they like the cold, here at least,” Kentel disappeared briefly under the water but it was clear to see the serpent around his middle. He worked to get free but stabbed it and it withdrew briefly. He frantically pulled away from it. The other, Bailen, behind him stayed calm and kept the dagger in his hand. He cut the snakes head and continued on. They both kept swimming, Bailen continually behind, but Limira was impressed by how he handled the snakes.

Eventually Kentel got to the barrier and struggled to break through. Bailen waited until the other passed through, wasting none of his precious energy. “I see he is quite smart!”

“I believe you have an option then, smart or strong,” I noted.

“Maybe I can gave both,” the two began to climb up the mountain, Kentel was dragging behind now. We watched for a little while before going through again to wait on the other side. Limira was shaking with excitement. Bailen came over first, no sight of Kentel. He turned around after he was sighted and carried Kentel down the mountain. He was too cramped to walk and Bailen looked as if he was fall over dead. Limira had made her choice.

The two boys and the group walked back to the camp. They were dripped wet and shivering, but had not yet regained their tunics. The chief recognized Bailen’s valor in not leaving Kentel there to freeze. The chief looked to Limira, “Who did you choose?” Kentel’s head fell and he looked away. He had always been a star, I assumed, he was big and strong, but Bailen’s kill was larger and he pushed through, whoever ‘won’ would be let into the chief’s family.

“Will you let me speak to them, Uncle?”


“Yes,”

She led them both into a tent and we waited. The smell of food was overwhelming. Kentel walked out and away, Bailen did win. It was quiet in surprise. The ceremony proceeded in one year they would spend five days together to ensure the production of a child and spend time together only when she wished to have another. It seemed an odd system, but it worked by what I could see. There was still some family involved while Barzilla had eradicated all ideas of it.



The feast was presented at dusk. Limira and Bailen sat at the head Kentel was no appearing anything more than disappointed. The entirety of the tribe was sitting in a circles around each other. Large chunks of meat were passed around, bread and butter, gravy and assorted roots, beer and wine was passed as well.

They had little for produce as they sent people out to steal it instead. Gehenna stretched out on both sides of the mountain, up into Albridge and Ellmere.

There was dancing, but my group went to a tent to sleep as we were so terribly exhausted.



Bevellea woke me, I was resting against him and I sat up, “Good morning,” He said, and he pulled himself up. The sun glimmered near the mountain and it looked much less intimidating as its name. It was a relief to know how close we were.

Bevellea complained of pain, “I was cut by one of the Bayda demons,”

“And you said nothing?” He lifted his wear up so I could see the wound. It had become infected and was festering, “Damn it, why did you say nothing?” He did not answer. Outside was a bucket of water and towels hanging above it. I clean up first and told him to sit. Aevy came skipping up, “Dear do you have soap and some vinegar?”

“Yes! I shall go get some for you!”

Bevellea cringed at the very words. The girl returned and gave me what I asked for. “Can you start a fire as well?”

“Of course I can,”

I gave him some of the wine to sip on as I found the cloth and wetted it to beginning scrubbing out what had infected the wound. He gripped at a water trough tightly behind him. As I got to the wound I poured the vinegar on it and let it bubble before washing it away with water. I bound it up and said, “There you go. Jakia received wounds quite a lot, but he was always so drunk so it did not matter.”

Bevellea was still holding his breath, then he burst out, “Maybe… I shall give it a try…”

“Maybe,” I said, “Stand up, come on.” He cringed, “Toughen up,”

“I thought I did !” He sighed.

Aevy came over, “Are you hungry? The fire is started. Oh and I have sausage!”

“Yes please,” Bevellea said and he rubbed his arm.

“Another?” I asked.

“That was the only one,”



We all sat together, eating the morning meal. Aevy said, “Do not stuff yourselves too much, celebrating is not over!”

“Why is that?” Eveste asked.

“Because the union must be celebrated! We have dancing!”



Later Aevy came to me, “Hello,” She said, but she spoke in the elvish tongue, “I have been practicing… Grendlam says we must be friends with the elves. That is why we all try to learn it,”

“You are doing well,”

“Would you like to see my home?”

“Sure, I would love to Aevy,” I spoke as she did so she could learn this way as well.

She led be along toward her tent. Inside there was a female nomad holding a baby, “This, Asella, is my Ma and my baby sister,” The female smiled. “That is my spot,” She pointed at a corner with a rolled up bed mat. She sat down, “Also tonight the chief is taking a new mate,” She said, “Another feast!”

So much was happening the day we came. Grendlam entered the tent, “May I speak with you Asella?”

I stood and walked with them, “ I heard Aevy speaking to you in the accent, I see that you are a shape-shifter by your markings, yet you were an elf by the way you spoke to her and you have a royal appearance. Are you the lost daughter of Aeduuin?”

“Yes,”

“You look as such,”

“Although I feel as I have been made now...”

“It is understandable, Barzilla’s magic steps into your mind and body but you and your friends are strong willed. You have not given into it yet,”

“I was getting to that point, but not seeing that tower is such a relief!” I exclaimed, “But I fear I would not be accepted back home as I am what they hate,”

“They have allied with us, my people, despite that I am a nomadic chief,”

“That is good news,”

“Will you be at the dance tonight?”

“Yes,”

“That is also good news,”



Bevellea and I sat together at the bonfire. It had gone dark. The new couple, those who had come of age the previous day, first were to dance alone with us all to watch. It was a beautiful sight to see, both were graceful in their almost mad dance. It was not at all a planned dance, it was more like instinct. It was a celebration of their first union, although they would have to reason to be together until the following year when she would be able to bear children.

Flatbread was passed around, and wine and ale before beating drums surrounded us. Young male nomads, all hardly of age had taken up drums and it was intense. Aevy pulled Bevellea up to dance. She acted as free as any person could be. He danced in the group as he would at his home although the chief and his mate, an older nomad, not young, danced together. Aevy said that the chief’s son was in Ellmere to “spy” on Barzilla and would return the following day. Another celebration.

I had never seen so much happiness and goodness in dark raced people before. It was a curious and delightful sight. Gamen was eagerly welcomed by them and it was a relief to see him smile finally. Nomad children flooded to him as he was a sweet soul. Yet the night was still long and the drum beat did not stop until all the food was gone.

Bevellea spoke of leaving in a day, as we had stayed much too long. He was still weak from his wound but he was a stubborn man.




There was yet excitement left in the air for Chief Grendlam’s son Iliam to return. There was not going to be a third day of feasts. No one had room enough in their gut. The nomad was tall, intimidating, did not seem as ‘soft’ as his father, he was fit, strong, chiseled. I would not like to get into a fight with him. He had a deep voice, and when he spoke in closed quarters, the ground moved. He was to be the next chief of the only free tribe and it was comforting, knowing him. He had two children, both boys, both looking as their father and he and his mate were close and kind to one another. She was not a fragile and soft-spoken person by any means either.




Grendlam came to us and said, “We have horses for you and your journey,” he said, “And we will pack food as well,”

“Thank you,” We all said and Eveste added, “You have been of great help to us. Once in Aylwin I will give the king a good word,”

“We wish you luck,”



The next morning I sat up, breathing in the calmness. Aevy came up with a heavy pot of oatmeal mixed with meat and she struggled with it, set it down and came back in with sweet cake. The others woke to the smell of food, “Asella,” Aevy began, speaking in my tongue, “You are leaving today?”

“Yes, dear, we must,” I said, “We are going to try to end Barzilla,”

“But you cannot miss,”

“We can try,” I said and she embraced me. We all ate a large meal while our food was being packed up. We worked to say goodbye to everyone we had met.

When we left we entered the Ashling forest. It was radiating good magic. I was so close to home and yet we would be going to Kellise instead, but I was excited to be around those of my kind.

The author's comments:
Alice is supposed to be the adorable, crazy sister. Her haze is so strong that she has no care or inhibitions and it shows. She just says what she wants and does what she wants when she wants to do it and I think she is my most favorite character ever!

“Where is Alice? I asked for Alice.” Aviara stated, exasperated.

Lucy took in a deep breath and looked to her, “My husband is searching for her. She is not in our sight currently,”

“You lost her? I told you how important she is!”

A group entered, they were interesting looking, all bearing markings. Aviara nodded, “Hello! Asella, Eveste, Gamen and Bevellea. I would like to introduce you to Sylest Diamond’s grandchildren, or two of them,” No one spoke, “The haze is quite alive, just… lost at the moment,”

Asella said, “Are you meaning to say Sylest did not die?”

“Oh she is dead,” Lucy said, “And my mother.”

Aviara spoke up, “Although Alice has haze just as strong as that of Sylest Diamond’s.” Aviara sat down, “Barzilla can be killed, “There was a look of relief upon the people, “But, there is yet a war ahead. He knows it is alive, so he is staying safe. Only war will bring him from his hiding,”

Bevellea spoke, “How do you expect to live through a war? Who is going to fight it?”

“The human kingdoms must be allied, then there will be a successful stance,”

“That is impossible,” He said, “Albridge and Ellmere want nothing to do with each other,”

“Over something stupid and trivial,” Eveste exclaimed, “And there is Adderouge who only keeps to itself. The king will not leave for anything,”

“It is worth trying,” Asella said, “All help is welcome.”

“I understand that, but it is not for I to decide. Albridge finds this to be Ellmere’s war.” Bevellea said, I could tell he was from Ellmere.

“It is everyone’s war,” Lucy said with a stern voice.

“Who are you to say it is everyone’s war as your cowardice people hide away in their hole?” He hissed.

“It was not our choice… if you wish to blame anyone, blame the dead. Sylest chose this for Pallan, not I, not my brother, not anyone alive today. All was hidden from us until a year ago,” She was both angry and defensive.

“And yet you still will not get involved!” Bevellea pushed.

Aviara interjected, “Leave the subject, my good people. You cannot expect so much from a hidden people. Now we must get our bearing. Asella, please tell me what you can,”


She bowed her head and said, “Must I say now?”

“Please, my dear,”

She sighed, “I learned all from Jakia, although in a drunken stupor so I do not really mainly on the accuracy. He spoke of a few Tiers that Barzilla has saved, a powerful shape shifter, capable of becoming a dragon,”

“And you?”

“I do not know if I can do that, I assume it is possible,” He took a deep breath and looked to Bevellea for reassurance. “As well as that, one that is indestructible. He has the consistency of liquid, so a sword could go through him with no injury. Only a bag of Pentilin can hold… him, in parts,” She then looked around, “They plan to attack Fearghal at harvest time, going across the river. I feel that we can let the wolves loose and the nomads could be wiped out, well in any sense besides. If we could get one place to come in and help… we could defeat them. It is supposed to be but a distraction,”

“To what?” Gamen asked.

“A bigger war,” Asella said, “They want to push into Aylwin and crush what is remaining of the Caval Elle kind. He wants to destroy all remnants,”

Aviara said, “Caval Elle is still there, Asella. Barzilla can be defeated,” Then her eyes flickered, “We have a visitor! I will be back!”

Lucy said, “Alice!” There was a large sigh of relief in the room.



She skipped in, Bryce looking exhausted, “Do you know what it took to get this woman here?” He said to Lucy, “You may need to thank Linli a thousand times over.” She hugged him with a kiss and he left.

Alice blurted out, “Have any ale? I am parched!”

“Alice…” Lucy sighed, “No, we have water if you would like it,”

She shook her head, “So why am I here again? Bryce just said you people really wanted to see me,”

Aviara smiled, “Yes my dear. We need your help,”

“To do what?”

“Your haze, we need it, sister,” Lucy said.

“This stuff? Damn, you must be desperate! Hah, sure… why not?” She was wobbling and sat down, “It’s been acting up a bit more than normal lately. I am getting these very annoying voices in my head, some angry man, calls himself um… Barzilla I think. He said he killed my grandmother,” Aviara’s eyes were wide “He said that I will die soon,”

“Alice, the man speaking to you, we need you to kill him, with your haze. If you do, he will be correct, though. It will take all your haze to do it, you will have to die with him,” She spoke softly and motherly.

“No!” Lucy cried out, “That was not part of it!”

Alice chuckled, “Calm down, Luce, I am sure that they have their reasons. I do not care, whatever happens will happen,”

There was some relief to the group. Alice looked at them, “You all look funny,”

“Alice that is not polite,” I said.

“Well, what are you? Not human I do not think!”

Aviara said in the same tone, “No, they are not, but we will not dwell on that. Alice, do you like traveling?”

“I do not know! Shall I found out? I would enjoy some adventure especially if I am going to die soon. Are you coming with Rai?” I nodded, “Where are we going?”

“Many places,” Aviara said, “You are going to be needed, my dear, I will send some of you to Adderouge, Albridge and Ellmere. We must get support,”

“Are those cities?”

“Kingdoms, Alice,”

“Because of this haze… huh, well I expect some ale,”



We were sent away from the more experienced people so they could speak, Lucy being one of those people. Alice was looking around ,”This is such a pretty place Rai. I have not seen you for a while!-is this your wife/” I nodded, “Well nice to meet you ma’am, Queen, whatever you want to be called. Hopefully you are luckier than the last two queens!” Sari’s eyes pierced me.

“Is she always like this?” Sari whispered.

“She is being reasonable, be happy about that,”

Alice called out, “Is there a kitchen? There must be at least wine here! I shall be back!”

Sari and I entered the large room we stayed in, “She acts just like a child,” She huffed.

“At times, yes,” I said, “Other than the fact that she has been with many men,”

“Oh so she’s the…”

“The what?”

“It is rude of me to say. The… the other maids call her the palace whore,”

“It is true,” I said, “Bad as it is or sounds. It is her haze though, she does not concern. She is the embodiment of ignorance is bliss, despite how smart she really actually is underneath all of everything,”

“Oh I am tired, the night comes so late here it seems!” Sari said with a heavy sigh and she sat down on the bed.

“Are you hungry?” I asked and went through our food. I tossed her an apple and some bread as well. She grabbed it and ate. We had great room so I paced around. Sari began to change into bedclothes.

Alice entered almost as immediate as Sari began to change, “Look what I found!” She held in one hand a mug of wine and in the other, bread, “Lucy said I cannot eat this, but it is so wonderful!”


“Alice, can you please leave? You are staying with Lucy tonight,” I said. She looked blankly at me.

“Aww…” She mumbled. Sari was holding her clothes to herself and Alice sulked out, “Good night!” She shut the door.

Sari hissed, “That woman is mad. She will die of that ale!” She finished dressing. “Come to bed dear. Hopefully we will figure this out tomorrow,”


“I cannot imagine such places I will be sent to,”

“It is Alice’s fight, why are you in it as well? What about Lucy?”

“I am not sending both of my sisters into battle. Lucy can care for Pallan while I am gone. Neither of you are leaving Pallan,”

“I was not going to,” She laughed and closed her eyes, “Oh I do not feel well…” She mumbled, “Will you give me the water?”

I handed it to her and she drank it down and stayed sitting up, “What is it you feel?”

“Maybe nerves, this is too much for me in just a few days. I just want to go home with you,”

“I am sorry, honey. You may have to wait a while for that,”

“What if I have the baby before you return? Am I supposed to keep it unnamed?”


“I supposed, if you wish. I will try with all my might to be there,” I kissed her cheek.

The author's comments:
I wanted to make Asella seem almost superficial in a way, but she has a terrible fear of being rejected by her people for what she is, and in the end she never really embraces being a Tier, even after the story ends she still wishes to get rid of even the power it gives her.

By candle light I stared in the looking glass. I looked at the markings covering my body, they might have just been scars. They said that I could shape shift and nothing else. My identity had been erased, all the traces of my past. My life had been erased. I reached for the nightgown that had been given to me and put it on.

I sat on the bed and stared at the candle, trying to calm myself down. I heard a loud knock on the door and it startled me. I transformed to a cat as the door opened, “Whoa, whoa! Asella it is me,” Bevellea said. I went back to myself.

“Sorry, Bevellea,” I said and I hugged him tightly, “I am just nervous all of a sudden.”

“I was just checking on you,”

“Will you please stay?” He appeared confused, “I have not been alone in 20 years. I need somebody at least in the room,”

“I will stay.”

“Thank you, Bevellea, thank you,”



Morning was calm and bright. It was an oddly cheery atmosphere. I was comfortable and rested as long as possible. Bevellea slept far later than I had ever seen, saying he was regaining his strength. We all needed rest and some time before we went to Adderouge, our next stop. Aviara said that Bevellea and Rai and I would go to Adderouge, I would fly them there. Both wo8uld relate to the young king of Adderouge who had lost his wife in childbirth recently.

Gamen and Eveste would stay here while Lucy would leave for home.

I thought how odd the people from Pallan were. Rai was young and inexperienced, clueless in reality. His wife was ignorant and selfish while the Diamond sisters were curiosities.


The queen said we were to wait until after the noon meal to meet. Until then we were free to do as we wished. Bevellea wished to go walk through Kellise.

He asked me, “What was it you were saying about going home?”

“That… It may be more difficult than I originally planned. My people are not as tolerant as your family,”

Bevellea sighed, “Asella, you are still your father’s daughter!”

“I assume they believe I am dead!” I cried out, “They would have given up looking for me now,”

“Same with my village, but when you return, you will see. Your family will act the same as mine will when I return,” He crossed his arms, “You cannot expect you will be turned out of your own home for the simple face you are now a Tier,”

“It is not a simple fact, Bevellea. I do not even look the same. My hair was light brown, now it is black, do you see my eyes? Black as well! They were green!”

“Asella, you must stop worrying.”

“I must know! Oh I will go there tonight, I will fly there. I will find out!”

“Alone?” He asked, “Eveste would like to go,”

“I am going alone, Bevellea. If anything I would be accepted warmer than he, if warm at all. I am curious and I must know,” I looked down. We were surrounded by tall and sparkling buildings. People milled around, all wearing alike clothing . I began to think of home, lovely horses, my bedchamber, the soft bed and large picture window looking out to the garden. I wanted to go home and stay there, but a war needed to be fought first.

“Well I will always be there if you need me,”

I smiled, “Thank you,”



As I flew through the clear night, I thought. The world knew how that the haze was not lost. Hope still lived on in the mind of a mad woman. The world had the opportunity, the ability to have peace. Yet to get to peace, strife must continue. Death would lead to peace.



I passed over the Ashling forest. It was black below, only a small light coming from noticeable veins of Pentilin. I swooped into the trees, flew all around, and through the branches. It was a feeling of pure and beautiful freedom. I could hardly understand a bit of joy given to me. I tried not to worry about my home, my parents, those I grew up with.



It was late into the night when I landed next to Aylwin’s palace, but in curiosity I went to the garden, and into the mines. Caval Elle was sealed off to those who were not dark, and yet those who are dark cannot stand the Pentilin. As a Tier now I qualified to enter.

No Tellsens were at work, it was quiet and vacant. The Pentilin was cool to the touch. It was a relief to be in the familiar grounds!

Then I saw the decorated door. Nervously I touched it; getting no reaction I opened it. Wind rushed at me, cool and sweet smelling. I saw the moon above, so close, stars so bright! To my right was the river I had heard about as a child, the one that gave birth to the four rivers in the Lands Above. A forest stood untamed. There was little evidence immediately to me, of a war, only vacancy. Only the palace as a pile of rock. There were weapons in the river, but no bodies, no blood. Two hundred plus years had erased the carnage in the paintings.

I stepped in, absolutely amazed by all I could see. Flowers grew wild around the ruins, making even those beautiful. Some buildings still stood ivy and such choking them out. Trees stood, those older than time itself, moss hanging from some. The grass was soft, some arrow heads still imbedded in the soil. I stooped to pick one up and analyzed it, it was a Ryken arrow. I thought of how they were destroyed here, only a few remaining as an uncontrolled weapon.

Animals meandered, now wild horses, white deer, and birds. I sat at the river as it past calmly by me. It was quiet and felt safe. I was the only one in this world, I was alone, and nothing could hurt me here.

To the west was the palace, some parts still standing well. I walked toward it, the steps were crumbling but two statues stood tall, in old wear, holding staves in their right hands and old armour. The door, once great, was beaten in. I stepped through. A dining room remaining, dishes, some musical instruments and the hearth. The designs of a snake were embedded in the stone, their eyes as precious jewels. I proceeded on, the library was partially burned, and some remnants remained, although not without a fight.

The second floor still was above, but the stairs were burnt to a crisp. The eagle emblem was still gilded, although much of the silver and gold had been taken.

The armory was well guarded in its time, and it remained intact, the swords of old still were in their sheaths, few had been saved. I took one and opened it, crafted by the Tellsens hands, a long and lean blade, a golden handle.

Behind the palace was a tall mountain, filled with old homes. The Mountain was large, a small water fall trickling past a fenced deck. It seemed to go on forever. The forest began to the east and I could see the floating farming tiers ahead, vacant of all crops. It appeared so peaceful.

A tall statue of a male elf stood near the tree line. It was made before the Times of Separation, the first age and ended but two thousand years ago. It was when the race of man was young, lost. The elves taught them agriculture, to hunt, but they also introduced the sword and the shield. By the end of the age Godwin had been built, but the hatred between Albridge and Ellmere had yet to come, yet internal fighting had. Blood tribes in Ellmere constantly fought for land.

In Albridge the men fought to take the elves land. In the vast Ashling forest the encroached upon, cutting down the trees and settling. By now the elves were the High Elves, those who would go to the Lands Above. The Low Elves were those who preferred to stay in Caval Elle, the Mountain Elves were those who lived on and in the mountains and cared for the crop, and the Wood Elves were those who hardly seen. A council was called for all of those in Caval Elle. The Rykers were included and a few Tellsens met about closing Caval Elle and separating themselves from those above. The High Elves disagreed, saying Ashling would be overcome by men and their old lands taken over, but all others wished to cut ties. Only the Rykers continued to leave Caval Elle and travel, leaving their rocks and caves.

Rykers were feared by men as they had a man’s appearance but in a giant’s form, eight feet tall, shoulders twice as wide as a large man’s, with thick dark hair, some had bears and large piercing eyes. They were built to be intimidating, even to the Dark Ones. They could fight well also. It was hard to imagine them being destroyed by nomads.

The Tellsen land was still along the coast, similar houses as they now existed in. They adapted better than all others I believed. They were kind creatures, trusting and mischevious. They did not fight the invasion, they were spared.

The second age began, the Time of Separation, those in Caval Elle kept to themselves while the men of the world worked out their warring issues and came under their respective kings by the end of both ages. Although the nomads had partially united under Barzilla, and his want for power and severe hate of elves led to the current age called the Existion.

The haze was made in Caval Elle but conceived in Aylwin. Allistair never expected Aylwin to be permanent, but my father Aeduuin was less hopeful. Aeduuin was looking in both directions, I wished I could show him what I was seeing. I would go back to the armory later and take what I could carry.



I walked along the river as it got thicker and thicker to the base of the mountain fall. Large silver fish swam peacefully in the clear water. The Eleionomae had lived in Caval Elle, I remember for quite a while until there were enough colonies along the sea they could live off what they truly craved, male energy.



I did not want to leave Caval Elle. I was still so amazed by all I could see. The floating tiers were ahead, I walked beneath the tier. I was deep into the forest, the birds cheeping brightly. Animals of all kinds stepped out to look to me. The deer where a silky white, rabbits stood on their hind legs, horses stood curiously. I pet them and they were not scared.

I walked back toward the exit after getting five swords, a shield and belts. With my hands full, I left. The ache of Pentilin left me. The morning was encroaching now and the sun peeking out from the trees. Some people were up and moving in their homes, but my eyes looked on the palace, the silhouette of my father and mother and another elf stood in a window.

I ran to the door, there were guards who looked at me with a blank, angry stare, “Who are you to enter?”

“Asella,” I sighed, “Asella…” I was very tiered now, out of breath and out of sleep.

They both looked at each other and one went into the palace. I could see him speak to my father and he came back to the door and let me in. Father came to me and analyzed me, joy ran out of his face. “Father, it is me, your daughter,” There was a light in his eyes yet.

“I know your voice, Asella, but I do not see you,” There was a sad smile and I hugged him. One of the guards seized me away from him.

“Father!” I cried out.

“Let her go!” He said calmly, he looked over my face, “You are one of them now,”

“Father I had no choice, they captured me, but I did not become one of them in any way beyond my body,”

He continue to look over me and hugged me again, “You had always been a strong girl,” He took in a breath, “You do look different. Come in further,” I followed him in the familiar home, placed all of the blades down. My mother Pridwyn ran in and said, “My daughter!” There was an elf-child behind her watching curiously.

“Where did you get these blades?”

“Caval Elle. I can go in, I saw everything.”

His eyes widened, “It is open to you?”

“Yes, it is,” I looked to the child, “Who is this,”

My mother placed her hand on the child’s shoulder, “Your brother, Asella,”

My father said, “Asella, we thought you were dead,”

“So you replaced me? I am still the heir, Father, am I not?”

It was quiet, anger rose in me, “You are not of our kind any longer, daughter, you will have no authority,”


“So you did replace me? I knew I should not come back. I only wish to tell you that we need your warriors’ assistance when the time comes,”

“Yes.” He said, “I will know.”

“Goodbye Father,”

I spent the rest of the time emptying the armory of Caval Elle, leaving everything in a pile at the entrance3e, thinking of how at one time the entrance was open to the air until sunken into the mines to be hidden.

I did not know if I would go back home after the war. There would be much more to do to keep my mind occupied I might be able to participate in.



It was no happy reunion on either side, Aylwin or Kellise. The face of the blond haired, bright eyed, light elf-boy was in my mind. He was going to be king, I was no longer the “baby” of the palace, I was replaced. I had never felt such mad and bubbling emotions! My kind were calm and collected, I was being eaten from the inside out. I quickly forgave them, and ignored the happenings and set my mind on the war. I set my mind of getting Alice to Barzilla.

Yet the uncomfortable emotions remained, always anger or grief. Jakia, he was on my mind as well, revenge was with it. I could not thank him for much, only my freedom.


Aviara’s voice was heated as she mapped all out, Bevellea, Alice and Rai would go first to Adderouge to bring back, hopefully, an army. I would with company to Albridge to get aid for a later battle. Following that, all would go to Ellmere, the heart of the war by the harvest to hold back the nomads trying to destroy Fearghal.

She was concerned, she wanted to keep Alice safe, to keep her in Kellise, but Adderouge put Sylest so high up on a pedestal they all knew her face and Alice was very, very similar. She was proof, proof of the haze and safety. That was all Adderouge was concerned with. Yet I felt there was little that could be salvaged from such a human kingdom in which no live man had seen war, and so clearly against being involved. The only argument was if Fearghal fell, Ellmere was no longer safe, and they were holding Ebonwood back. It was not a strong argument to those on the other side of the Northlands and secure in a mountain valley. Only could we enter because we knew the way! And only did we know that because of Aviara!

Adderouge’s history was simple, but they were staunch in their beliefs, which involved not being involved in others’ issues. Peaceful yet not clueless farmers they were. Living comfortably on rich soil with plenty to eat and drink. Their large flocks of odd looking cattle and sheep on the hills, aviaries up high in the mountain. They could focus on other pursuits, art, stemware, and weaving. Wealthy and self sufficient although one would not know. They still lived relatively simple and yet well off. They kept some old traditions of Ellmere, their harvest festival held the same meaning although things grew constantly in Adderouge. They would trade their meat and dairy with the Tellsens for their fruit and rabbit, and sometimes fish. Both benefitted from living away from war.

Tellsens lived both along the sea and islands and in the forest of fruit trees they planted. Friends of the elves they were, skilled with any art given to them and protected by all the elves. They were safe.

The author's comments:
Adderouge, in Part Two is the first place that Sylest leaves Ellmere to live, but the man in charge of Adderouge reached out to trade with the rest of the world, and she felt unsafe and left. I wanted to Adderouge like medieval Scotland with the crops, placement as well as the circular houses on the river.

“You are driving me mad!” Sari laughed.

“I did not say anything this time,”

“Ugh…” She mumbled with her eyes sparkling, “But I am going to miss you!” She hugged me, “But I am glad I am not coming along! Just come back in the to see the baby,”

I kissed her belly, “I will do my best, Sari, now you need to go to sleep. You have looked flushed all day,”

“I am fine,” She said, “I am not tired in the least!” Then she yawned.

“I win,”

“I did not know that this was a competition,”

“It is not always,”


She shrugged, “Then let us see who can stay up the longest,”

“Then I lose because I am not trying,”

“Then I win. There is a tie. When you get back we will settle this.”



Food was packed in the morning, clothing and anything else needed. Lucy and Sari left with Linli toward home. There was a large possibility that I was not coming back, or going to see home again.

“Are you coming, boy, or not?” Bevellea asked.

“I am still waiting for Alice,” Asella was already as a large, odd, winged creature, not a bird, but nothing else I had seen and Alice did come out. “There you are!”

“What? I am not late, besides, you cannot go anywhere without me!”

Bevellea was impatient so we quickly left and flew into the air. I held on for my life and closed my eyes while Alice was screaming in joy. “Come on Rai! Look!” I slowly opened my eyes, a tree of dense forest lay below. The clouds seemed so close, the air so cold. “So beautiful, is it not brother? What is that place?”

“Aylwin,” Bevellea said, “Home of the elves,”

Alice’s expression waned and she seemed startled, “I do not feel well at all,” She turned pale white, all color having drained out. She wobbled and began to fall, I grabbed for her. Asella swooped down below her to catch her. She had swooned and lay by my feet, motionless.

Bevellea came over, “What is wrong with her?”

“I do not know!” I cried out.

“Ignorant!” He snapped at me.

“Do not address me as such!”

“You are not a king here, boy, you are what you are to me without that puny crown,” I was quit, “I do not bow to any one, nor will I,”

“I only expect respect,”

“I will give you respect when you earn it,”



Adderouge sat nestled, surrounded by mountains. It was the greenest land I had ever seen, the clearest water and sweetest air. It was beautiful. Asella swooped down at the side of the mountain. It took only a day and a half of travel. A door stood before us. Alice was still out like a candle. Bevellea asked me, “Can you carry her?” I nodded and picked her up. She was small, at least a foot shorter than I, light, it was no issue.

Asella opened the door by speaking and we entered. It was dark, we had brought no light, “I wish that we had Gamen here,” Bevellea muttered. The door slammed shut

Asella said, “Come on, just walk forward. It should be quick enough,”

We aimlessly walked forward until Asella happily announced the exit, I was tired by then from carrying my sister. Bevellea took her angrily, I had said nothing, “You need to get used to strain, boy.” He shook his head.

The palace was before us, well adorned and yet still quite simple, built from the rock of the mountain and yet an old wooden palace beside it. An enormous field of sunflowers surrounded it. There were so many people milling about. All looked at us halfway warily. We quickly moved toward the unguarded palace, black silk flags hung from all windows, “Did somebody die?” I asked.

Bevellea said, “The Queen,”



The palace was clean, airy, open and practically vacant. Asella searched around and brought back a young king. “Who are you?” He asked.

Bevellea answered, “Travelers sent by Queen Aviara of Kellise. Do you have a bed for this woman? She has gone ill,”

“Yes, to your right, the only open room down the corridor,” Bevellea left as he stared at Asella and I, “Why are you here? I have already said I refuse to get involved,”

“Rai, will you speak to him?” Asella left.

I sat with the king Aiven at the steps, “I am king of Pallan, have been for only two years,”

He nodded, “What did you come to ask?”

“We need Adderouge’s help,”


“I will not get involved! There is not hope, sir! Does no on understand this?”

“But there is hope. The haze is not dead. That girl who we came in with has Sylest’s haze. We must go to war. We cannot do it alone. This war is on everyone’s shoulders. You are not excluded.”

“Yet is do believe you are not sacrifice your men,”

“Because my men have no knowledge of anything outside of Pallan. I do not wish to throw shocked people into a battle field. I understand, king, your principles, but principles must be briefly put aside. Your people will understand, they are strong people king! They are resilient, you can throw this war into their hands and they will take it. Just ask and see how many men you can get,”

Aiven pondered it over, “That girl, may I see her?” I nodded. We walked to the room, Bevellea sat at a chair, Asella looking out a window. Aiven looked to my sister, “She is a strong resemblance,” He looked to me, “It must be true,” He said, “It must be.”

“It is,” Asella said.

“I will speak to my men, but do not expect an army. These men are farmers and husbands and fishermen and artisans. Most of them can hardly butcher their animals,” He sighed, “I will spread the word for them to gather tomorrow. Please stay, rest and eat. I have plenty of food and room for you all.”

“I believe I must stay with my sister for a moment until she wakes,” The others left and it was just Alice and I. I held her hand. I continued to worry. Then I felt her squeeze my hand, “Alice? Honey you have to wake up now,” A maid walked in the room and set a dress down, “For the girl,” She said, “From the king,”

Alice’s eyes opened later and she looked around, “Damn, what happened?”

“You swooned,” I said, “We almost lost you, fell right from Asella’s back. She had to catch you,”

“I just felt such pain in my side and got really hot. I do not feel well Rai,” She rubbed her forehead, “Where are we?”

“In Adderouge, the palace. You are safe,”

“I was not concerned about safety.” She added with a heavy breath. “Where are the others?”

“Around here somewhere,”

“That was specific,” She sat up and peered out the open window to the valley. “I hope we stay here a few days. I want to take a walk by that river,”

“I think we will. We are recruiting some people to come back,”

“To fight? They ae not warriors of any kind!”

“I understand that, but we will force no one. They must have some courage in them if they are willing to go,”

“And hopefully a strong stomach and heart to go along with it,” She smiled, “Do you?”

“I am not sure, have never held a sword or killed anything beyond food and I always felt bad,”

“Then you need to work on that,” She lay back down, “Rai, I do not know much about you,’


“That is because when I came, you were angry and left,”

“Well, I was angry with Mother, no you,” She said, “And I knew she was going to die. I did not want to be around for that and it was acting up more than normal around that time,”

“Acting up? That is what you call it?”

“People say that I am mad because I do what I do,”

“You have no shame!”

“I do not see the point to shame!” she laughed, “Why feel bad? I am hurting no one!”

“That you know of!”

“Does that not go for all of us?” She cried out , “You think too much sometimes, right now it will not help anyone,”



By morning Alice was feeling as close to well as she could get of one night’s rest. I still lay on the floor, staring at the flower-painted ceiling. Alice stood up and looked the dress over. “This is very pretty! I love the color!” It was a light blue. She began to change, “Woman, you have no shame!”

“Oh you whine too much, just act like we really did grow up together,” She huffed, “Now tie this up for me, or lace, whichever word you prefer,”

“Um…”

“Oh do not say you never have!”

“Um… I was a farm boy for most of my life. We did not have those, nothing was fitted,”

“ It would take you longer and you would have to put your foot on my back!” I chuckled heavily, “Try anyways.” She directed me along, “I should have eaten first! Oh well,”

She skipped down the hallway, the king saying, “Miracle recovery!”

“Thank you so much for the pretty dress!” She called out to him.

He nodded, “It was my wife’s, but you look wonderful in it, Alice,” There was a kind look in his eyes.

“Tell her thank you for me!”

“I am afraid I cannot do that,”

“Yes you can, no matter what. I tell my mother thank you all the time and Harry, even though I am still mad at him,” Aiven looked at me, confused. No one had told her that his wife was dead. Yet there was a smile coming through.

“Is your father still alive?”

“Yes, and he has a little baby that is so cute!”

“Do you miss your mother?”

“Everyday, but I do not like dwelling on said things,”

“I do not think anyone does Alice,”

“My mother at times. She dwelled,” She said plainly, “Mister, is there a good place to walk, like a pretty place?”

“You saw the sunflower field,”

“Hard to miss,”

“Yes, and follow that area along the river. Everything is based on the river,” He patted Alice’s back and looked at me. I shook my head and shrugged, “Just remember to go to the speech tomorrow. I want to introduce all of you,”

“We will be there,” She said, “Come on Rai, let us walk.” She had her hand out toward me, “Come on, come on, faster Rai, I do not want it to be noon before we get outside,” She huffed, “You are slow,”

“I am taking my time. There is no rush,”

The king said, “It is a bit chilled out there, I had put some cloaks in your room. You may wear them,”

“Thank you,” We headed to the rooms, put the soft and warm cloak on before going outside. Alice was light on her feet, smiling, it was refreshing to be with someone so different. She was effortless in everything she did and said.

“You know Rai, that you are really… dry,”

“Dry?” I laughed, “What do you mean?’

“You do not make jokes or say much interesting,” We exited the palace. We followed the path along the sunflower field.

“I suppose I do not. I agree that I am boring,”

“Well you need to lighten up, Rai! Maybe that is why your wife does not like you.”

“She likes me!” I said, ‘She said so right before she had to go,”

“Well, if she does, than it is not like she did when I first met you. You two were all over each other. Now you are all ,old-like without actually being old,”

“I am not sure I understand all of that,” I said, thinking of how she was really right. “it is called marriage.”

“Then I do not see the point in it,” She exclaimed.

“Well mother realized that ten years ago,”

“Now it was before that,” She laughed ,”One man sounds too boring. And I would feel too enclosed,” She patted me on the back, “I do not understand, but I supposed as long as you are happy,”

“Did you wish Ma would say that to you?”

“Well, I think she at least tried to understand. My father and Harry just were angry about it. I imagine I was an inconvenience.”

“My arrival was an inconvenience.”

“At least a happy one!” She pointed, “For most people.” Around us were mountains, surrounded us. Along on the river were circular houses, attached to the bank by a dock and a fenced out patch of land for gardens and animals. There were absolutely no boats on the river, it was fully calm.

“You were not happy. Well, you had been recently yelled at,”

“There is more than that,” She sighed, “Something I told absolutely no one,” She looked at me, “I suppose that if I am not going to go home healthy if I am even going to be alive, I might need to tell someone other than my father… I have children. Two of them a boy and girl. I was pregnant with my first when you came along, four years ago, and the baby died shortly after it was born, then I had my baby girl only nine months ago. Jonathon and Sarah are taking care of them now,” she sighed, “But it is not supposed to be permanent. They do not have enough money. When we are done, will you take care of them?”

“What about their father?”

“S---“ She said, “And I only know who the boy’s father is, he beat me. I would not let that boy in sight of him, and the girl is not his. I am assuming he is someone with blue eyes like me because she looks just like me, of course. I am not sure I can compare her to anyone,” She shrugged, “So will you?”

“Yes,” I said, “Like they are my own,”

“Thank you. I will talk to my Pa tonight.”

“Through the haze?”

“Yes, he is used to it. That is how I have before!” I smiled and held my breath for a moment.

“Could I speak to Sari that way?”

“Oh I do not know,” She said, “Everyone who has the haze has it differently. You can always try,”




That night Alice lay by me, “Put your haze in my head if you want to listen,” And I did, “Pa?”

“Alice? Where are you?”

“I am, I am not in Pallan. I am in another kingdom. I know it sounds absurd, but Lucy knows. You can ask her. But I am not going to be able to come back,”

“Alice, why?”

‘Because the mage, or whatever he is, can only be killed by my haze and my haze will die if I am successful… I will go with it. Do not try to convince me otherwise… I am helping other people and a lot of them. Someone is actually relying on me,”

“As if your children do not…” Jonathon sighed, “But I understand. Alice please be careful,”

“Rai is with me. He will make sure I am alright, he will take my children when he goes back. I know you cannot take care of them forever,”

“I hope you will be alright,’

“I promise that I will do what is right,”

“I sure hope so honey,”



Our group stood behind the king. There were so many people standing before us, “Good morning my good people,” he greeted them, “We have guests, men and elves, Asella of Aylwin, Rai and Alice of Pallan and Bevellea of Ellmere,” We stepped up beside him, “This woman, Alice, she has the haze. It is alive.” There were whispers, “No I will ask of a sensitive question. They need your help, to join Ellmere in the fight against Ebonwood. I promised them nothing, only that I would ask if there were volunteers about us, those willing to go to war,” For the longest while it was silent, then he stated, “I know that Adderouge is safe, but that is for now. This war is everyone’s war,” He quoted my words!

A young man stepped forward and raised his hand, “I will go,” His brother followed. A few others offered themselves up. All in all we had a little over fifty bodies willing to go to war.

The king said, “You have two days to prepare to leave. I wish for you to gather plenty of food and good traveling clothes and if you wish, your horses,”

The crowd dispersed, Alice went after the first man to volunteer. They walked and talked. Alice like him.



That night Alice came back late, “Gannon is a nice man, a nice one,” She patted my back, “So what have you been doing?”

“I have been looking out the window.”

“You are boring,”



The two days went on. I learned much about Adderouge. They had leisure time, games, meeting places, regular dances. It was a beautiful place, had minimal intrusions, safe from the mountains, not by secrecy, yet they knew of Pallan since it was founded and kept it a secret. Also during the time the volunteers were prepared. Bread poured out of the bakeries, both private and the palaces. Dried meat as well too was being packaged. Ponies were given for pack animals. The volunteers would bring horses. I could not call them soldiers, Alice was right, they were not. It was hard to imagine them holding swords and in battle.

As they were assembled, rag-tag, in leisure clothes, with food, no weaponry and animals that had never seen travel. Yet they had courage for coming and leaving Adderouge, knowing they may not return home and so I told them so. They were strong, but they had a lot ahead of them.

The author's comments:
In Part One, Kiena, the girl who the story is through, lives in this house after leaving Aylwin. There she meets Kai and Belle who she leaves her daughter with.

Adderouge was behind us. The men moved in a mass east. We planned to go by Kellise, getting Gamen and Eveste. Our group was not especially quick, but as a few days went on, the heavy load of the food lightened. Rationing had to be learned.



There was a stop at the nomad camp and we were welcomed openly. Grendlam greeted us all, had a bull slaughtered to feed the men and his people. “You may stay tonight,” He said, “But we cannot feed your men another day,”

“That is understood,” I said, “Thank you,”


“Our men rested that night, got their fill of food, and we proceeded to travel south and around Mt. Leery. I was grateful for the milk weather. Before the base of the mountain we decided to split. Rai, Alice and Eveste would go to Ellmere with the group, while Bevellea, Gamen and I would go to Albridge. The leaders of Albridge, the king and his son needed to get involved in the war. It was beginning to feel like ground was getting covered. Bevellea was getting uncomfortable, wishing to see his family, now that he was fully free, “Will we fly?” He asked.

“Impatient?” I asked.

“We must be able to catch up!” He sighed, “I do not want to spend half my life travelling around the Northlands while Barzilla gets stronger,”

“I understand,” I transformed and had them climb onto my back. We flew up and into the air, following the mountain line north. Throughout the day I tired, we were in Albridge, but still east. We stopped after the Ashling forest ended, nestled underneath the Mariana Mountains. Gamen pointed to a small cottage.

“There is a Slavinica outside. Maybe we would be welcome there,” We walked forward. The Slavinica was not young, a well aged female with soft face. She was in a garden, harvesting produce into a few baskets. When she saw us she stood.

“Travelers ay?”

Gamen nodded, “Yes we are traveling to Atwater from Kellise.” He stood by her across her garden’s gate, “We need a place to rest,”

“Tell me why you are traveling,”

“That is our business, ma’am,”

She smiled, “I would like to know if I am letting murderers or thieves into my house,”

“We are not thieves ma’am although none of us have clean hands. We have escaped from Ebonwood.”

She nodded, “You are welcome in my home. My name is Natalia,” We introduced ourselves and she said “Well, while you are here you can help an old lady out,” She gave us baskets to carry in. We placed them on the kitchen table.

Bevellea looked to a small portrait above the mantel while Gamen helped Natalia bring in water from the nearby well. “Asella, come here,” I walked over and analyzed the painting, “That is a portrait of Sylest,”

“Are you sure?”

“I saw one in Kellise, she looked just like this,” Natalia and Gamen entered.

“Natalia,” I asked, “Is this Sylest Diamond?”

“Oh yes, I knew her just as Sylest. She grew up here. I knew her mother for a while as well.” She sighed, “But I have not seen her for two hundred years or so. Has she really been dead all these years?”

“Only fifty of them,” I said, ‘They lied so she could live without being searched,”

Natalia slowly nodded. She began to chop up the tomatoes, “Are you going to help?”

“I do not know how to cook,”


“Then you will learn!” She patted the space beside her. “Chop up all of the tomatoes just like I did, do you see?” I nodded. I followed her directions. After they were cut she separated them into two bowls, “We will make sauce of this one, and preserves of these.” She added water and herbs to the sauce bowl and told me to mash it up. She put the other chunks into jars and sealed them up. She ordered Bevellea to prepare a large bird for dinner while Gamen made some carrots. After the sauce was made she continued to make preserves.

As food cooked we sat before the large fireplace resting as the food continued to cook. I rested my head on Bevellea, he made me feel comfortable. He was such a friend.

Natalia said, “Tomorrow when you go, you may want to be careful. People around here sure do not like Dark kinds like us. I am tolerated only because I have been here longer than their great, great grandparents,”

She said, “And not many come by anymore like they would Fearghal. So leave after the ships leave the docks to be safe. Though, the inn up by the docks is friendly enough and has food, but I would not trust the tavern,”

Gamen asked, “Do you live here alone?”

“Oh no, I would be dead by now if that was so. This family, I have worked for them since before Sylest was even a twinkle in her mother’s eye. Someone has always lived in his house from that family,” She smiled, “Aren and his wife live here now, both are very good people,”


Gamen nodded, “After all this while you have not been freed?”

She sat back, “I have been very enslaved with them. I stay by choice. I do not know any different, I supposed… those things people say about Slavinicas is true, it is my nature.” She now smiled, “They pay me, but I do nothing with the money,” She pointed to a box lying beside a mantle. “I do not have anything to do with it,”

“Is that why you are wearing a sixty year old dress?” Gamen asked.

“It is in good shape, thank you!” She said with a laugh. The door to the house opened. Natalia sprung up, “We have guests you two!”

“Guests?” He called from the other room and entered, “Hello,” He said, “Where are you all from?”

We said our respective kingdoms and he asked, “All together?” We nodded, “Well I hope that you are comfortable here. We have plenty of food as well,”

Natalia said, “There is some food on the stove for you two,” She pointed out toward the kitchen. His wife came near and waved.



Natalia prepared the room for us to sleep. She brought us wine as well,” Breakfast will be ready when you wake up.


We did wake to breakfast; the smell of warm food was wonderful. The couple was talking in the kitchen. Gamen and Bevellea continued to sleep as I sat at the table. Natalia was humming and then she asked, “You are a Tier, are you not?”

“All four of us are. I am a shape shifter, animals at least,” I sighed, “But soon I hope that I can get it somehow to be gone,”

“The gift as well?”


“Yes,’


“Do you want to go home?”


“That would be nice, but to be accepted… I must be cleaned from everything. A war needs to be fought before I can worry about my place,”



We prepared to leave, watched the ships leave the docks. We thanked Natalia for helped us, she had given us a bag of food. The road toward the town seemed void of life. We felt confident in not being harassed. Only two ships remained at the docks. The shops appeared and there were men walked out of the tavern. Bevellea pushed me behind him. There were two of them, one noticeably drunk. “It’s a dirty Terma!” The drunken one called out.

“Excuse me,” Gamen hissed.

The other one said, “No there are three of them!” The drunken one ran up and punched Gamen, Bevellea pull him off and Gamen grasped his neck. His hand became illuminated. The man screamed and I hit the other as he came on Gamen. He fell down, swooned. “Gamen, stop it,” I said and he closed his eyes and dropped the man. He had burn marks around his neck. “Come on, we have to go,” I transformed and they climbed onto my back.

We flew half a day to Atwater. It was a peninsula surrounded by a rocky coast. The water was so blue and clean. The city was surrounded by a high wooden fence and a narrow entrance. The city was full, a small castle stood of wood and stone quite near the end of the jut. We landed inside the city to the surprise of many. The people left our space and whispered and pointed. Guards ran up to us, spears pointed at us, “Who are you?” they cried out.

Bevellea introduced us and yet we were arrested and forced into a small room in the castle. Gamen said, “Lovely accommodations,”

I huffed, “It would be nice if they had a bit more light,”

Bevellea said, “I really wanted to go to that in, just to have a glass of ale…”

“If I ever smell ale again…”

“Ale?”

“Yes ale! Jakia was always drinking. That smell made me sick and still does… angry as well,” Bevellea went quiet.



We waited in the dark room to be let out, although it was evening when a young man of about twenty-five opened the door, “Hello I am Soren,” He said, “I am sorry about this,” Soren led us out of the dark room. “I am the prince of Albridge. My father is waiting for you, follow me,” He led us down a long and wide corridor. “We received word from the free nomads that you were coming, but after you arrived.” He eyed us, “And why,”

The king Bancroft stood in the Long Hall. It was a rather a rather impressive sight, a black rug lay along the center with tapestries hanging below the tall windows which the dying light poured through. The king was aged; he was strong though, a face of stone, “You are the ones they spoke of. You plan to involve us with your war, with Ellmere’s war,”

Bevellea said, “It is not Ellmere’s war, and if it were I would be finding myself the only one here involved. This is not a request to aid Ellmere. This war will grow larger than that of Ellmere’s boundaries and already has multiple times, and I only ask you to be involved in that,”

The king said, “I will become involved only when it gets to my borders,”

“Sir, we need Albridge’s help. If we do not receive it, the war will get to your borders and your people will be at risk,” Bevellea stood firm, “Adderouge is involved, Aylwin as well, but we must have Albridge’s aid.”

Then Bancroft said, “Who sent you?”

“We sent ourselves,” Gamen said.

“You must have been sent by someone!”

“No, we are just that blood-thirsty…”He muttered, “We spoke to Queen Aviara in Kellise, but she did not send us. We are going to Ellmere next for their aid,”

Soren said, “I am going with you to Ellmere,”

“Son…”

“Cassien must go home,” He huffed, “I want to make peace with Ellmere, even if you do not. It is the only way to get close to peace, to end the war. Or to have a fighting chance of such,”

Bancroft thought it over, paced and said, ‘I will give aid, but only outside Ellmere’s borders,”

“Thank you sir,” Bevellea said.

Soren then added, “Tomorrow morning shall we leave? You will have two more with you,”

Bancroft said, “Son,” And the prince stepped back, “I will prepare my army, although my men are much more comfortable at sea, I do not imagine it will be fought on water,”

“Unless they want to capture the Tellsen’s islands,” I said.

“That is unlikely to happen. They have nothing to gain from conquering such a people.”

“Other than they have access to many of the elves secrets. The king Aeduuin’s advisor Desmond is a Tellsen elder,” I calmly stated.

“And what would you know of this?”

“Other than hearing the drunken mumblings of a nomad general and the nomad plans, Aeduuin is my father,”


The king seemed surprised for a moment and then said, “Do they plan on attacking Kipling?”

“Nothing on that subject is set in stone. Barzilla does not plan much ahead of time with anything he shares. His colleagues are not terribly reliable or trustworthy,”

“That helped not in the least,”

“What I can say is to keep your eyes open; if the possibility should arise you would have some knowledge of it,”

He rubbed his forehead as he sat down, “Is there anything else that I should know?”

“Barzilla, he wants Gehenna as well, but he wants to conquer Ellmere first,” I said, “But if he conquers Ellmere, than there is very little hope to keep Ellmere free,”

“Gehenna is none of my problem, nor Ellmere,” He said.

“Oh sir, but it should be,” Bevellea said, “If Ellmere is overtaken then they will have more resources than ever. Your people will be the next they will look to. He will not be satisfied with only Ellmere. He wants the entirety of Arundel. He has already destroyed Caval Elle, taken the Deadlands, half of Ellmere already, has nomads stationed in everywhere,”

Gamen said, “Sir, Barzilla has been creating Tiers from men, elves and his own kind, four finished every since I have been alive. He has multiple underground compounds all holding over one thousand of his Tiers and there are at least ten different compounds I have been in. He trains them all, sir and we are in trouble. His army is enormous, the reason it has been seemingly quiet up to this point ever since Caval Elle and the Raid is because he has been stockpiling his own army.”

“So you are trying to tell me it is all mine to worry about?” The king asked with a heavy sigh.

“Yes, I am.” Gamen said.



I stood outside on the balcony looking at the moonlit sea. “Is it not nice?” I heard a chirping, girl’s voice say. I turned to see a young woman standing in the entrance to the balcony.

“Hello,” I said.

“I do not recognize your voice,” I said, “I thought you were someone else for a moment,”

“I would imagine that you would not recognize my face first,”

“If only I was so lucky,”

“What do you mean miss?”

“I am blind and have been for only a few weeks. This sea at moonlight was one of the last things I had seen before it went completely.” She rested her arms on the fencings. “My name is Cassien, daughter of King Falkirk of Ellmere,”

“Asella, of Aylwin,”

“An elf huh? You sound like one, although I have never met one before. I have been in Godwin all my life. The only time I ever left, I got attacked by a Tier and went blind and loose my poor old pony,” She hugged, “But Soren was out hunting and took me here. I could still see for a day, my vision slowly failed. His was the last face I saw… my father would not approve,”

“They must worry about you, Cassien,”

“I am sure. We sent word that I would be here recovering,” She said, “But I felt no want to go back just yet,”

“You will be going back with us. Soren feels he will come as well,”

“Only to throw himself into war,”

“Those are the times princess,” I said and she nodded, “We are all at war, whether physically or mentally at all times and all places. Barzilla has seeped everywhere. For many people, he has seeped into them,”

“Godwin can hold him out,” She confidently said. She was so young. It was hard to believe that one could still think such things.

“He is in your minds and fears, Cassien. He is there; he has lasting effects on everything and everyone. Everyone knows someone who he killed,”

“He killed my pony…”

I smiled, “You are more fortunate than others then,”

“Who do you know?”

“Every single person dragged into Ebonwood I met eyes with…He killed two of my father’s best friends, he killed the land I came from… he killed who I was.”

“You are a Tier,” She said in surprise.

“Yes, I hope to see Barzilla die,”

“You are dreamer… or a nightmarer.” She said, closing her eyes. “Sometimes I dream too. Now I do not have to see the bad things, and can still imagine the good things. If I can, I try to remember sunrises in my mind like it really was happening. I dream that it was ten years from now and the war was over and I am married with children and with my things in the castle. That all was in peace, even all people,”

“You are quite a dreamer as well,”

“Hope is not a bad thing, Asella,” She reminded me and stood, “Just do not forget that,”

I thought about that as she walked away. I had seen many die of hope, as it was the poisonous kind that could encompass one’s mind. It was a sickness like none other although it took a hold of loneliness, grief, anything that fed on one’s heart and bled into the mind. Yet some let go of hope and died of that as well.

We had passed the Leery Mountains. It felt odd to be without half of our group. Eveste was not much for leadership although he was one for knowledge and advice. He was quiet. He passed the leadership to me. I was not completely uncomfortable with it. I had experience with my people, but these men were under a different king. They owed me no allegiance. Yet they followed closely; they were trusting.

Alice had… in the least, attached herself to Gannon. She was happy she finally found a ‘nice’ man, one she thought she could actually love. Personally I believed it to be absurd, but she was an absurd person, so, in that respect it made sense. In the morning she was as pain whether she spent the night with Gannon, or where she was supposed to be, by me in the tent. Either way I had to wake her up to her constant complaining, or go on a hunt for her and occasionally had to scrape her up and throw clothes on her before the entire camp of men saw her bare. She would not mind that, but what honor she had left, if any, I wanted to keep.

“You are so difficult!” I said, holding the blanket around her and pushing her toward the tent.

“Alice, I do not understand what goes through your head!”

“Are you always going to be this uptight?” She asked as I handed her, her clothes. “I do not see why it matters, I am not going to be like sixty and regret all of this. I am not even going to be thirty and regretting this.”

“So you are doing all of this because you are not going home?”
She smiled slyly, “Oh no, I have been doing it since I was fifteen or so, it just seemed like a viable reason for now,” I patted her on the back, “When are we getting ale?”

“Wait until we get to Ellmere.” I said, “You can live until then with water,”

“Rai!” She slumped down.

“No Alice, help me get this tent down and put away.” Although as soon as we exited the tent with our few belongings, some of the men began to tear it down for us, “We could have done that,” I said.

One of the men was Gannon, “But you ae still a king, you should not have to,” Alice hugged him and stayed there.

“Alice, come on,” I took her by the arm. She whined a bit but I said, “We are getting food!”

“Alright, food is good!”

“Yes, food is good…” Eveste sat by the fire, one of the women who had come along had finished cooking flatbread and something I did not recognize. It was an off white mush with little taste, but was filling. Alice ate and was content enough to sit and be quiet while the other men ate.

Meanwhile Eveste sat in a patch of grass; he had the grass grow very tall. All the horses came around and grazed upon it. He smiled and pet them.

Alice watched carefully, “Did he really…”

“Yes, Alice,”

She huffed, “Are you even listening?”

“Yes, Alice,”

She shook her head and made an angry groan and went to join Eveste. Gannon came to me, “She sure is beautiful,”


“She sure is mad. You and half the men of Pallan think that,”

He smiled, “I agree to that,” He stood tall, “Do you think she would marry me?”

“You are going to have to ask her that question yourself. She is twenty-seven, she should have been married ten years ago, but she likes doing as she wishes.”

“She told me she wished she could settle down,”

“She said that because if she is successful in killing Barzilla, she will die. She will never get the chance to,”

“She has two children, a boy and a girl,” I said, “She kept it a secret,”

“She only told me she wanted to be a good mother…” Alice came around.

“Eveste says we need to leave,”



We continued forward, expecting to see Asella, Bevellea and Gamen come in just a few days. Gehenna was ahead of us. There was limited water available, only the water taken from the mountain’s spring. We all were refreshed for the time being and pushed forward to the forest. Eveste said we would camp there so we could be found by Asella.


They arrived into the night. Asella saying, “I saw something not far off into the distance. We will be under attack,” She said is so calmly.

“We have no weapons!” I cried out, “What are we supposed to do?”

“I will try to hold them off, go further into the forest and maybe hide in the trees. If some of the men can fight, have them do so,”

Bevellea said, “None of them know how to even hold a sword,” He looked to Eveste, “Will you use the trees?”

“Yes,” he gave Bevellea the sword and Bevellea gave Gamen his two daggers and Asella flew into the air. She grabbed large rocks from the field and dropped them on the unseen army. I could see arrows flying toward her, but as she was a bird, she was able to fly around them. Some broke upon her talons. She screeched and fire came down upon them.

Eveste said, “I see them!” He took a hold of a tree and had its limbs grab those of the party. Alice held onto me, “Stay right here…” I said.

“There is the woman!” One of them yelled, he ran up and held the sword above Alice’s head. I held onto Alice, trying to cover her. Bevellea killed it.

“Fool! Get out of here! You will get her killed!” We ran into a small cave below rocks. She did not let go of me.

“Shh…” I could see through the trees, fighting. I felt like a coward. If I had a sword I would fight too. Alice was crying. “Are you scared?” I asked.

“Gannon is out there. He could get killed,”

“What are those things?” they looked not like Tiers or nomads, nor Dark Ones. They were grey, disfigured creatures, but tall and strong like nomads. Yet they had such eyes, such yellow eyes!”



Asella came to us, “Come on, it is clear, they are all dead,” She helped us out and I stepped over them.

“What are they?” I asked her.

“Mutant Tiers, their transformation went wrong.” She said, “And they were the ones stubborn enough not to die then. They are strong, very strong. We were lucky that there were only a dozen or so that came around<” She looked at Alice, “Are you alright?”

“I am fine,” She sighed lightly. Then she looked around calling for Gannon, “Where are you?”

“I… I am over here!” I heard him call out, his voice strong enough I hoped that he was fine.

She became relieved and smiled, “Oh Gannon, I am so glad that you are… not dead!” She hugged him tightly and did not let got for a long period of time. “Do not leave my sight until we get inside Ellmere,” She said.

“That should be easy. We are half a day away!” he put his arm around Alice and we continued on away from the carnage to continue our rest.

By morning we hurried into the borders and we could see Godwin off in the distance and behind the trees. Gannon had come up to me, “I do not have her father to ask, but may I ask you for permission,”

“To marry my sister?” He nodded, “I feel I have no authority to on the subject. As well as that I do not feel completely comfortable knowing a man from some far away land who never formally courted my sister, only slept with her and is probably just really confused…”

He chuckled with a light dancing in his eyes, “Rai, sir, King, however I should address you… but I love Alice and I do know that. I want to spend what time left she has, with her.”

“Alright,” I said.

“I want to learn everything about her, Rai,”

“Have fun,” I said. Alice was talking to Eveste when Gannon ran up to her.

“Alice, Alice, um… will you marry me when we get to Godwin?”

She looked stunned at first and slowly smiled, “I think that can work,” She nodded, and kissed his cheek, “Gannon, we do not have rings.”

I looked down, I wore three rings, my wedding band and my father’s wedding band and a smaller ring on my smallest finger given to me by mother, her and Jonathon’s wedding band. I took the two from my fingers off and walked to them. “Here,” I said to Alice.

“That is Ma’s! How did you get it?”

“Father gave them to me, but that ring is from your father, not Harry. So it should belong to you,”


She smiled again brightly, “These work, thank you Rai!” Gannon put them in his pocket, “So do you want children?” She laughed.

“Rai told me,”

“Rai!” She scolded, “Well expect another one. I have been with child for at least five months now,”

“That you did not tell me,” I said.

“Well, I forgot,”

“You forgot that you were with child…” I sighed, “You are mad.”

“Yes, yes I am,”

“Do you know its father?” I asked.

“I think so…” She thought for a second, “I actually had a little affair with… oh what is his name! Bryce’s brother… Audrey!”

“Your little girl is still a baby,”


“I know, I guess the vinegar did not work,”

“You are crude,” Gannon laughed.

“I am straight forward.” She crossed her arms.

“Seems like we will have to keep you alive for a while,” I said, “This could be interesting.”

“So what if she is still in there when Barzilla dies? Aviara said that it would take up to four days for me to keel over. What if I have her then? Will she still have the haze?”

“I do not know,” I said.

Gannon interjected, “Girl? How do you know it is a girl already?”

“I can feel it. I knew Callum was a boy when he was born and Aili was a girl. I hope this one makes it. I did not know that Aili was a twin, so I lost two out of four.”

Gannon looked at me,” What are we going to do about the children?”

Alice said, “I already gave them to Rai… and unless you want to move to Pallan, Gannon,”

“I will do that then. I have no family left in Adderouge. I would like to have family finally,”

Alice said, “I want my little ones to have family too. I think Brielle would really like them.” She looked at Gannon, “She is my youngest sister, well half sister, like Rai is my half brother. She is weird too, we all are,”

I said, “You have not told Lucy?”

“Well no, but she had some ideas about that,”

Gannon then asked, “Lucy? Another sister?”

“Yes,” Alice answered, “She is really smart. She learned how to speak like the elves in three months,”

“Whoa,” He said.

“She is my full sister, our father Jonathon was a slave when Ma married him. The king at that time needed a wife and my mother had royal book in her, so she married him, but sort of by force. Rai and Brielle came out of that, we think.”

He nodded slowly, soaking in all the information he could, “Well, that is weird as well. So you are like everything in one. You have a slave’s blood and a queen’s blood and some elf blood and some nomad blood too,”

“Who said anything about nomad?”

“Sylest was half elf and a quarter Dark One and a quarter Slavinica,”

The author's comments:
I want Alice, despite the fact that she is quite inhibited and annoying, to be really lovable and kind of a sad person because she has a family that she cares about very much and she knows that she is going to die, so she works to make things right.

I first saw Micah standing outside Godwin’s entrance. He was carrying a sword box on his shoulder. There were guards around the stone gate with wolves at their side. The two guards appeared stunned by the mass coming toward them. Bevellea stepped forward, “Hello my prince,”

“I am confused, why are there so many of you?”

“We must speak to the king on urgent matters. This visit is on peace and help. We have come many weeks from Adderouge,”

“Open up,” He said to the guards, “I will lead them through,”

The outer wall was impressive. Carven in statures were in the outer and inner wall. All were of kings and some queens of the past. Holly trees followed the road into the city, equally separated. Micah said once all of the spaces for kings and queens were filled up, a sixth wall would be built around the existing wall. The second wall goings into the city was also blocked by a gate, but it was not stone, it was intricate of gold bards. On either side were statues of wolves on their hind legs facing the gate. Both were unique. We went to the right and on the wall was a long panel we walked along with a forest scene. Each section was a different season. Winter greeted us first. In the middle was a bare deciduous tree with a proud stag to the right, looking forward. An eagle in the tree, its eyes on the gate. Spring came next, surrounded by a by a flowery frame, a simple, normal petal flower. In the middle of the section was the same tree, but budding. Rabbits were near the base of the tree; robins in the tree and flying around. A mother deer was to the left with her fawn, the stag was still to the right. The third panel was summer, the tree was full leafed and the frame was bricks. An owl sat in the trees, a pretty animal in its talon. A fox sat in a bush to the left, looking up to the owl. Autumn was last, the tree thinning, leaves falling and in piles on the ground. A herd of deer were far off in the background, butterflies were in a group and pheasants on the g round as well.

In the third ring of the maze entering the city were panels reflecting those of the second, but the human year instead. It also began with winter, showing the inside of a home, an entire family. The mother was spinning wool, the children a boy and girl were playing with wooden figures at the foot of the fire, as the father tended to it. A food pot was hanging above the fire. A dog sleeps near the door of the home. The spring panel was next. On the left side was a flowering tree and a young couple being married stood beneath it. The woman had flowers in her hair, the man was a soldier. The fields in the back were being plowed and saved. Detailed in the front were two boys playing with a dog. The summer panel showed the inside of a farm and to the right two men were shearing the sheep. To the left a group was gathering hay into carts and people chopping wood. The autumn section was simply of the harvest.

The next ring began with two warrior statues and battle scenes of the past one thousand years, each explained in captions at the bottom, and between each were statues of warriors.

The next ring on either side of the gate were two stone swords. Around the swords was growing ivy. Under the swords were plaques explaining each. The rest of the ring was made with pillars, in the stone. Some pictures were there. One was of a mother cat, a large wild animal with seven cubs. She stood proudly, although she was thin, her cubs were hearty.

The last ring was of carved stone trees along the entirety of the ring with wolves in between.



We entered Godwin. It was enormous and busy and full. Micah was speaking with Bevellea. Soren and Cassien entered the palace first. Cassien had not yet spoken to Micah. He did not know his sister was blind. “Father!” Micah called into the palace’s throne room. The Adderouge men and women were brought to a camp for food and bedding.

Tailen, the heir instead showed, “Micah, what is the meaning of this?”

“They need to talk to father, Tailen,”

“You’re an imbecile! They are dark! Look at them!” The man was angry and his face had become red with it.

I stepped forward, “We are not simply nomads. We once were not, sir. We are here on dire matters, the harvest is coming and the Ebonwood army will attack Fearghal. We must speak to King Falkirk.”

A servant ran to retrieve the king while Tailen watched warily. Bevellea said, “I will speak to him, you need to get rest,”

“Micah said, “We have some guest rooms, I will show you to them,”

“Does your brother always treat you like that?” I asked him. He walked almost ambling like and took a deep breath.

He looked confused as we went up the white steps, “What do you mean, miss?”

“He treats you terribly!”

“Well, he does not act… warmly to many. I am seven years younger than him.”

“Micah!” Tailen screamed and Micah ran to the lobby downstairs, “Damn you! You sent Cassien… on, on that childish adventure! She is lucky that she is alive, but she has gone blind! She was attacked!”

“Brother I…”

“I do not want to hear anymore of you.” He stormed off. Micah soon placed us in rooms, but I wanted to speak to him.

Cassien was in the lobby with Soren when Micah saw her. “Is she really blind?” He asked me. I nodded, “It is my fault. Tailen is right, I told her she should go on an adventure. She was so sad being in Godwin… I just wanted to see her smile again,”

“Look Micah, she is smiling right now,”

“It is still not the same smile though. It must have been those Tiers that did that to her,” He looked at me and sighed, “You are one, but you will not hurt anyone,”

“I try not to,”

He smiled like it was a joke and his eyes became just a little bit lighter, “You seem like a very good person, Asella,”

“You know my name?”

“Yes,” He said, “Cassien talked about you before, said she wanted to be like you, a strong princess,”

“Are you close with Cassien?” We continued to walk as the others settled in their rooms. It was a comfortable atmosphere in the lovely castle. It was well furnished, paintings hung on the walls.

“We are twins,” He said, “But Cassien is father’s little angel and princess and Tailen, his first born and heir, I am just the one that killed our mother,” I was confused, “She died giving birth to me. He has not married since,”

“Do they blame you?”

“Of course they do. Father ignores my very presence some days, other days his calls me vile and tries to get rid of me. I am like a servant these days,” He held his breath for a moment, “He will not let me fight in the war. He will not let me learn. Will you teach me?”

“To fight?”

“Yes,” He stood a bit taller. He was desperate to prove himself, to earn his father’s love even if it killed him.

“I can try,”

“Thank you!” he looked down to his sister. I was still reluctant. He was small, a scrawny boy. He was a runt. He appeared that he would be snapped like an arrow if he was hit. Yet, his heart was strong and he had courage enough to try.



The following morning I had Gamen, Eveste, Rai and Micah in the palace garden. The previous night I had went to Aylwin to get swords. They were wrapped in a leather roll. Eveste held on protectively to my father’s sword. Gamen was sitting nervously. Being in Kellise was challenging enough to him, but I was going to challenge him once again. I took a weaker Pentilin sword as Eveste gave swords to Rai and Micah to borrow. I sat beside him, “Put your hand out,” I said. He slowly did. As the handle of the blade came closer to his skin, he shook. “You can handle this Gamen. You are stronger than you think you are. Push through this,” I put the handle in his hand. He turned red and shook as his hand grasped it tighter.”

“I cannot hold on any longer…”

“Yes you can. It is not burning you Gamen. You are doing just fine,” I held his hands and he concentrated. “Alright, good job,” He dropped the sword and rubbed his hand, “See you can do this,” And I hugged him, “Just rest,”

Eveste and Rai were sparing playfully. Micah came over to me, “Want to?” He asked and I nodded. He was quick on his feet, but the blade had little force behind it, but every time he fell he came right back up. He was not one to give up easily, or at all. When we finished food was given and Micah and Rai were joyous, both felt accomplished and both wanted to fight in the war. The war was coming so fast, Falkirk had little time to prepare two armies and train those of Adderouge. He had the ability to equip, but what we needed was more than an army of untrained bodies wielding swords, we needed great warriors. We needed help. There was but eight days until the harvest began. We had only fourteen days, approximately until Fearghal was attacked. There was no time for anything. We would have to leave in but a few days.

I was put in the armory as the ‘soldiers’ stood in a long line in the camp. Rai was with me, a parchment in hand to record. The first were from Adderouge, they were given any variety of things, but always a sword, but some received a sword, a helmet, and chainmail. They looked cared, in wonder, probably never had seen weapons before. Realization of what was happening, of what was an expected fate. I did not expect to see all of them alive, or many either. The next in line were kaufs, or those who handled the wolves. They were given long swords, and spiked collars to put on their dogs. They were all of metal and studded in silver.

Micah came in and asked if he could help, “I am not sure what you could do,” I said. “If you found Eveste you could practice,”

“Tailen is in the garden with his wife. He would be angry,”

“You can stay here if you like,”

Rai



Micah asked if I would like to see the wolf barns. I readily agreed, having seen them in the distance. “We have five buildings here,” He began before we approached. “Two are veterans, one building is for breeding, another for the young and beginning training and one for heavy training.” He smiled, “They are our pride and joy,”

We entered the veterans barn, “We keep seven packs in each barn,” Micah said before we saw any animals, “The first pen and run have the alpha male and female. There are others, our biggest pack is twelve individuals and each pen holds up to four,” He pointed to smaller pens, “These twenty, they work alone. We have trained them to go specifically after individuals, and they do patrols,” He exited briefly and said, “We need to feed them! We have to bring animals from all over,” He had a rolling cart filled with various meats. He went to each pen, a small indoor area, the door of intricate, decorative. Hay layered the inside, “We have a water collection system.” He pointed to a tube leading above the ceiling. A small hole in the wall was just large enough for them to go outside to a long run, fenced in by white birch branches. Beside the pens were names of each animal and in a leather folder was all of their information. The wolves were large, strong, had striking eyes, lean bodies with extraordinary long legs and a loose neck. They were amazing. Micah threw them their food and they rushed inside to a single bell, “They are only fed when we have food,” He said, “It makes them a bit tougher,”

“How many do you have?”

“We have 170 who have seen battle more than once, thirty rookies, and fifty babies right now. We have been doing our best to prepare our wolves for battle,”

The next building also had packs but had those who went to war alongside a kauf, “Would you like to see the young one?” I nodded. The building was attached to the training building consisting of many long and attached runs.

“How do you train them?”

“After so many years, killing nomads is their blood. Yet we have to integrate them into packs with the older, more experienced ones and take them out to do work,” He came up to a pen of five, year-old puppies, “I am training these five girls here, all sisters: Krea, Kina, Kira, Kila, and Kima. Kila seems to show signs that she will be paired with a kauf, but we have not picked one out for her. Krea is going to be used for hunting, Kina is being trained to replace our old male who patrols our sheep pastures outside Godwin. Kira will replace his brother for the cattle fields as well. The others will be put in packs.”

“Seems like you have your hands full,”

“They are good though,” he opened the door and they came up to him, he stroked them, the largest smile on his face, “Alright, you girls, I will be back later, but I have to leave,” He came out and said, “Would you like to see the really littlest ones?” he smiled and I nodded. We headed to the next building. The first thing we saw were pens with smaller runs, there were four pregnant females, beyond that were pens with little, tiny puppies. One mother was young, brown with five little ones, “She is Ruby, one of my favorites, and she is not one for fighting so she is a professional mother,”

“So is that what you do with those who do not work?”

“Well, females who have good lineage but are too docile to be guards, hunters or patrollers and warriors, are breeders, but all others are given to people as pets or herders. We do not kill them, and those that are wild, are put out in the wild pack to keep the woods free of dark blood,”

There were puppies of all ages, but near the entrance were the youngest and the older ones near the back. As well as that was an old female named Luna. She was a big black girl with bright orange eyes, “What is she doing in here?”

“She is about ten. We were planning to let her have one more littler of pups but her mate Macron was killed. We have not been able to move her out of that pen,” She was stunning. I proceeded to open the door, “Rai, she has not let anyone in there for two months! She bites!” I closed the door behind me. Luna approached me and then immediately lay down on her back. I sat down beside her stomach. She moved closer and laid her front legs and head on me. “She seems to like you,” He said, “That is remarkable,”

“I think I will be here for a little while,”

“By all means,” He answered, “That poor girl has been grieving badly.”

He left and I lay in the hay with the wolf on me. “Are you a warrior?” I asked her and her eyes lit up, “You should go to war with me, so I am not alone,” She barked, “I am sorry to hear about your mate, but you cannot just give up,” She nuzzled me, and I rested.

I found I had fallen asleep and woke to Alice, “Micah said you’d be here. You found a new friend.”

“Yes, I did,” Luna sat up and looked at her suspiciously. I pet the wolf’s neck and she sat down.

“Well, Gannon and I decided that tomorrow we will be married. Cassien is letting me borrow one of her dresses. Just in case Gannon does make it out of Fearghal…we wanted to do it before then,”

“Are you going?”

“To Fearghal? Yes, I asked Falkirk and he said as long as I was being watched and at the camp.” She smiled, “You and Gannon should stay at the camp with me,”

“I want to fight!”

“Rai, they are aware, and by they I mean the dark people, that I will be in Ellmere. They will come and look for me, you will be able to be useful and so will that girl,”




That night Alice lay on the floor staring at the ceiling. “Alice,” I began, “Come here,” She stood up and jumped on the bed like a child, “What are you pondering over?”

“If I should tell Pa,”

“He should know,”

“Yes,” She said and she hugged me, put her head on my chest, and put her haze in my mind. “Pa?”

“Alice? Alice, how are you?”

“I am fine, Pa. I have a lot of good news to tell you.”

“First I must tell you that I did speak to Lucy and she told me everything. She has also met the babies and has spent time with them. She is starting to teach Callum. Aili is doing well, she looks just like you!”

“I am glad that they are doing well, Father. I am going to have another baby, that is part of my news,”

“Oh Alice…”

“I know, I know, but I am also getting married to a nice man named Gannon tomorrow. He wants to be part of my baby’s lives. He will move to Pallan after the war,”

“So he is a good man?”

“Yes, and he loves me. He actually loves me, not just the rest of me, but he loves that too, so he loves all of me,”

“You told me you would never get married.”

“I know, I know, but I did not know Gannon. I hope you will be able to meet him Father,”

“Good luck to you Alice,” And Alice withdrew from both Jonathon and I’s minds. She was sobbing a bit and I hugged her.

“I miss my babies!” She cried out.

“I know Alice. I hope that you can see them,”

“I will do my best,” She sniffled and wiped her eyes. “I love you Rai,” She said.

“I love you too,” I kissed her forehead, “Get some sleep, tomorrow is a big day. We have your wedding and we are going to get ready to leave,”

“I am tired of traveling,”

“After the battle we will come back to Godwin dear,”

“And after that?”

“More traveling, probably to Gehenna and then home,” She nodded and closed her eyes.

“Goodnight Rai,”



Alice was bouncy that morning. She was excited and alls miles. She would not let me leave her side, “I wish Lucy was here,” She said.

“Agreed,”


“She would be happy for me,”

“Ma would be as well,”

They had a quiet ceremony, they put on rings and Alice and Gannon were husband and wife.

Word had come that war was upon us. It was set for the day of Ellmere’s harvest festival. We gathered together four hundred men, one hundred wolves. Alice kept herself busy being the designated cook of the group although Gannon was always around her so he had to help as well. Micah, Tailen, Falkirk and Soren were in the group. Tailen did not know Micah was planning to be involved, Micah was there to watch over the wolves and there to feed them. Yet, he was proudly carrying a sword given to him by Asella. It amazed me, though not in a good way, how he was treated unlike the prince he was.



The camp was set along the river. The same river was connected to the marsh Asella had told to me. We set up the tents and fires and Alice proceeded to feed the men. She was rather quick and light on her feet. She was speeding around getting everything done. Gannon was watching her. His eyes showed plenty: hunger, grief, excitement. I was sure he was trying to figure things out. He was scared, it was in his eyes, it was in many eyes. It was in my eyes.

I had never seen war before, never experienced it. I had never seen someone die in front of me, nor had I killed anything or anyone. That was going to change soon. My job was to protect Alice at all costs so Alice could do what she came to do. All of the soldiers loved her, she hugged them and was always smiling. She brought a dash of joy to them. They would all protect her to the death even if she did not carry the haze.



Morning came soon, and before the sun. The marching was evident in the distance. They were coming, my heart went racing and my stomach turned. Falkirk yelled, “Get into the formation! Now! We must meet them at the river! Men get your weapons! We will meet them!” The wolves even stood in the front in their packs and at the very head were the lone wolves. The royals stood on the sides of the foot soldiers, on their horses.

Alice held onto Gannon, “You are not going!” she said.

“Yes I am,” He sternly replied. “I will come back,” He kissed her cheek and went into the crowd. The group marched away. Only Alice and I remained.

She sat at the fire and added some wood. She had a cauldron filled with water and began to boil it. She pulled bed meats out of the tents and lined them up for the wounded. Luna lay by the fire, watching the army go off in the distance. Alice poured potatoes into the water and a bag of salt. She sat down, nervous. Then she stood and looked around in a tent and came out with a sword, “You are not going to use that,” I said.

“Well if they come here and kill you, I need to keep myself protected.” I shook my head.

They were still visible in the distance but soon they disappeared. We both waited for the onslaught, but nothing was heart. Alice shook my arm, she pointed to four black figures in the distance, nomads, coming to us. They were tall, pale creatures with black hair, rough-looking, wearing black and leather. Swords were in their hands, notched swords and vicious curved swords,” What are we going to do?”

“Well, stay by me. I want to make sure that you are safe,”

“I could hide,”

“And if they find you? I may be too busy to stop them,”

“Alright, alright, but standing here feels a bit stupid, well a lot of bit stupid actually,”

“I agree…” I took in a gulp of air. They were running toward us now. Sitting ducks we were and they here as well. I was a hunter, or was taught how to hunt, so I took a bow and shot one of them down. Three remained and I had little time. I shot, missed, shot again and hit the small one. There were two still terrifying creatures coming toward us. I dropped the bow and took up the sword, my hand shaking. I calmed myself down and locked eyes with the target. I ran to him and let instinct take over, but as I fought the big one Alice was vulnerable. “Rai!” She cried as I pushed the sword into the Dark One. He fell and the other one was coming near Alice. Suddenly he stopped and stood still, “Rai, I have the haze in him, put the sword by his neck, wait until I say go to kill him. I do not want this haze to go with him,” I did and she said, “Go,” I slit his neck. Luna bit at him.

We both took in a heavy breath, “It is not over,” She said. “There are more, get that bow,” I did fumbling to put an arrow into at least one of the six creatures coming toward me. The bigger in the middle was my first target. He went down after putting three arrows into his chest. Luna ran at them, charging and she hung onto one. The one now appeared the leader was getting angry, his stride faster and I shot him in the neck. He let out a primal scream.

“Alice I need your help!”

“I can stun two at once,” She said.

So half were standing still, but the remaining two were very close and one had their eyes on me, the other was on Alice. “Rai hurry up!” I put the one down who was after me on after the other was about to kill Alice. Luna made sure that they were dad. I put the black between his shoulders. He turned and looked angry, but soon fell. “Can I let one go?” She asked.

“Yes, let one go,” I had an arrow pointed at it. As soon as the cloudiness left its eye I shot and we did the same to the next. “We are done… I hope,” She rubbed her head, “We need to move them for when the others come back,”

Micah stood by me, hidden, under a helmet. The Dark army was approaching the river. A line of Tiers stood in the front. The wolves began to howl. The gates of Fearghal opened up and at least sixty wolves charged out and ran through the shallow part of the water. Our wolves followed. A charge began, Falkirk calling out. Micah took in a breath, “I can do this,”

From the back of the army came a Tier, transforming into a bright, massive red dragon, “Bevellea!” I called out to him, and I transformed as well. He climbed onto my back and held on as I flew into the air. It was Kelgen, the Tier’s name, a hollow killing machine. I would be happy to hill him myself. He began to blow fire, but Bevellea took the water of the river to take it out. The war continued below, the wolves attacking, but I could see many dead on either side, so many dead… but I was unable to see Micah.

Kelgen turned and rammed into me, I spun around and took time to get my bearing back as there was a throbbing in my side. I lowered the ground to get Bevellea to the ground. Kelgen did not give up, he wanted to rain down fire upon these people, but Bevellea had his eyes on us and put out the fire every time it was visible. Kelgen roared out something furious and terrifying and came at full speed toward me. I grasped him with all my might and sped toward the ground until he hit the ground, leaving a crevice in his path. I began to tear at him, until not movement were felt. He was dead. I went back in the air to see a large party of nomads, I swung my tail over them and upon them and swept back and with my jaw down, dropped them down in the river. Bevellea caused wave and kept them under just in case they were not dead. There was little more I could do as such and shrunk myself down to a very large cat.

I noticed that neither side was winning but we had lost so many still. We could not win at this point. We had to retreat if we did not make progress soon. I came upon a Tier, he was one of immense strength, I had no patience left in me. I knew his weakness. He was dumb. As he was fighting, I came behind him, pounced upon his back, dug my claws into the deep flesh of his back. He turned and tried to fling me, but I still stay and dug my fangs into his neck and shook my head until I heard a crack. He then fell. I then pounced upon the next nearest and did as so. It was like a mad frenzy as well as a severe catharsis. I felt like I could let go completely and yet focus at the same time. I felt like an animal truthfully and at this moment, I did not care.

Eveste was ahead of me, using the trees of the Ebonwood forest on the southern part of the river.


There was a sudden charging sound from the river. The Eleionomae was coming. “Get the men away from the river!” I screamed as loud as I could. The leaders and I pulled the men out, as if we were cowards. The Eleionomae’s song began and desperately I told the men not to listen, that we had to pick up our wounded and leave the dead. I searched for Micah and found him lying on the ground, crying in pain, “I have you Micah,” And I carried him away. Most of the men left alive and able bodied carried wounded toward the camp. I stopped and watched as the river was flood by both nomads and the Eleionomae. The Queen came out of the after and walked toward me. “Thank you,” I said to her, “We would have been decimated if not for your people,”

“My people have gained as much as you from this. Life,” I nodded and she looked at Micah, “HE is dying,” She said but lifted his head, and she placed her lips on his and breathed into him. He did not appear better, “I cannot heal the damage, but he will live,” She said and she touched his cheek, “He is a good boy,”

“Will you go to the sea?” I asked.

“Some of us will,” She said, “but only if the haze is successful will we all,”

“Good bye,”



Our camp was littered by the wounded. I saw less than half of the Adderougean men had returned, even in wounded form. It seemed the wolves of Fearghal had returned to Fearghal and we had lost very few wolves but our men were cut. Gamen was wounded as well, I sat him by the fire. His shoulder had been deeply cut. I cleaned it out and stitched it. Tailen came to me, a cut in his leg, though he was otherwise unharmed, “You are lucky,” I said, “If that cut went just a little bit this way,” I pointed, “You would be dead, would have bled out,”

“Is that Micah?” He cried out, “You encouraged him to do this! He could have died!”

“I did not encourage him. He was going to do it regardless. I gave him training so he would not die!”

“He is not allowed to be on the battle field, Asella,”

Micah stirred and finally woke, “Why not?” He asked.

“Because if I die there has to be someone to take my place, Micah and you cannot do that dead either!”

“He would sooner marry Cassien off to Soren and unite the kingdoms than put me on the throne, brother. I am of no use to him! Not to Father especially…”

I continued to stitch Tailen up as well and wrap the wound. There was now a whole line of those standing and those on stretchers. Alice set up beside me and took some men as well, Gannon was beside her, seemingly alright. Micah said, “Asella, I… cannot move my legs,”

“Can you feel them?”


“Yes, and my back hurts really badly,”

“I will look at you later. I have to stitch up the men who can catch infections, alright?”

“Alright,”

Tailen walked away and the next was a wolf. He had been cut deep in the side. I found a knife, laid him on his side and removed some of the fur so I could see better. I cleaned it out and bound him up, “Do not lick at it, or bit,” He hopped up and headed out. I continued while Micah lay beside me. Bevellea came near and sat, “How are you doing?” I asked.

“Fine, unscathed to a point.” He said, “Just sore,” As he slowly sat down he grunted a bit and sighed, “This battle was not… as successful as hoped. Fearghal is safe, a majority if not all of the nomads are in the river,”

I nodded and another man came over and he had a large cut along his back, “I did not get you did I?” I asked the man jokingly, one of the few left of Adderouge. He quietly shrugged, the man was in shock. He had to let this all sink in, that many of his friends were now dead, that he was witnessing war.

Bevellea said, “I fear that Aiven will not get any of his men back<”

The Adderougean looked up, “This is not over, is it?”

“No,” Bevellea said as I cleaned him up.

“You are going to have some interesting scars, but they should heal quickly,” He nodded.

“Bevellea why did you scare him like that?”

“He needed to know! We are not done here!”

“Let the man rest before you add more fear into him or he’ll jump off a tree,”

We did our best to keep the men rested through the night and the following morning we had prepared the camp to leave. We had many wounded who were unable to walk, and those able bodied were able to carry them. I kept Micah in my sights at all times, Tailen was carrying him despite his leg injury that causes him to have a limp.



Godwin’s army was much smaller now, the camp was filled now with physicians and nurses. Micah was in his bedroom. I had him lie on his stomach, “Tell me what happened, Micah,”

There was a massive bruise on his lower back, centered around his backbone, “I felt like I got clubbed, really hard. I was swooned after that,”

I followed his backbone down his back to the bruise, there was a hard, swollen bulge. He cringed when it was touched. “Micah, try to move your leg or foot,”

“It will not,”

“You have to try.”

He cried out, “It will not move, Asella!”

“Alright,” I said, “I just want to help you. You are not crippled, you would not feel anything,”


“It hurts so much…” He said, “I just want it to stop!”

“I hope it will, Micah,” I massaged the less wounded part of his back and he fell asleep. I lifted the small young man back into his bed and went to get some wine to help ease the pain a little bit.

I sat in the wolf barn beside Luna. I began to think about Sari. I could see her face in my mind, her deep, large brown eyes. I could hear her voice and I desperately missed her. I thought over what Alice had said, I could speak to her… but I needed my haze and mine was still asleep. I was unable to use it. I needed Alice. I kissed Luna’s snout and left the barn. The camp was ahead, behind the castle. Alice would be there with Gannon, her husband. It was odd to think of him as that, more than a man she had relations with. She was still asleep, Gannon was outside the blue tent stoking the fire and warming himself, “Hello sir!” He said.

“Where is Alice?”

“She’s been tired, so she is sleep now.”


“Is she ill?”

He shrugged, “She complained of shakes and being cold last night. I think she just does not eat enough,”

“Why is that?”

“She misses home, worries constantly over her children.” He sat down in the dirt and watched the fire and shivered, “Last night she wrapped herself in all the blankets. She asked for you too,”

“Why?”

“Oh, she did not say. I should wake her up.” We went into the tent and she was curled up. Gannon sat beside her, “Alice, Alice honey wake up. Rai is here,”

She turned around and smiled, “Rai!” She reached to Gannon to help her stand. “Do you need something?”

“Yes, actually I do. My haze… I want to speak with Sari,”

“You want to wake it up?” I nodded and she hurriedly set up a bed and asked Gannon to get water. “Lie down,” She said, “Alright, your haze is in your head already, now you can move it around like a limb, so try to do that,” I did but it was a weak grasp, “Do you have it?” I nodded, “Put some in me to wake it up,”

I felt a partial part of the mass leave me and her eyes clouded up and I withdrew. Suddenly my head began to pound and I was seizing. Alice held my head so I would not hurt it. I lost control of my movements, thoughts even, then sight and sound, but I could feel. Then I swooned. I woke to searing heat. I was sweating and uncomfortable, yet when I opened my eyes I was in my skivvies. I was unable to speak and move. There was just such pain, burning pain in my veins, flesh and bone. Alice was still by me, “I t is only this bad because you waited so long to wake it up. Brielle woke hers up two years ago and Lucy almost fourteen,” She touched my cheek, “You will be just fine,”

Gannon was watching curiously, “Can you tell how strong his haze is?”

“It will show itself in how long this takes, but so far it does not seem too bad. I took days. He already woke up. I heard Sylest took days to pull through as well,”

I fought to speak, “Alice!” I finally was able to say.

“There you are,” She patted my cheek, it felt like needles. “Oh sorry,” She sat back down, “You need to get some food and drink in you before you waste away!” She spooned a tasteless white mush into my mouth. I swallowed, but struggled. She continued and poured wine down my throat, “You need to sit up Rai,” I was still rather unable to move. She lifted me into a sitting position and held me there. “Take control of the haze now or it will take control of you,” I worked toward grasping the haze and as I did, the pain lessened slightly, “Rai, it should go away in a few hours, but you will feel odd for a few days.”



By the following day it had lightened up. Through the night had been debate over the war. Barzilla had given up on Fearghal, afraid of the Eleionomae, but he wanted revenge. He needed time to recover his army and so no attack would be immediate, but Falkirk still did not believe in Albridge and Aylwin’s aid. They never helped before and will not now!” Soren swore that his father promised as long as the battle was our of Ellmere’s borders. Now a date was to be found. Barzilla did not like to take things without a fight. Fearghal’s instance was unusual, he lost. Yet he wanted to meet and destroy the elves. Asella said that her father was preparing an army. There was hope. There were many experienced warriors, not just farmers with swords. They had weaponry with Pentilin, a nomad repellent and they had agility. Albridge had a skilled army as well, they had time to prepare one without constant interruption.

Not all was bleak, although still there was constant pain in my head. But I wished to speak to Sari more than anything. So in my room in the castle I struggled to get a hold of the haze and I searched for her. Finally the haze found its way. “Sari, it is Rai, can you hear me?”

“You are in my head! Why are you in my head?”

“I am so happy to hear your voice, Sari!” I cried out and I asked, “How are you doing?”

“It has been months Rai! When are you coming home?”

“I am not sure, when the war is over,” I said, “Is Pallan doing alright?”

“It is fine. Lucy is handling everything with grace and ease, but I am missing you and this child is growing ever larger and you have to be here for its birth. I did not sign up for this!”

“I understand Sari… but what is going on is bigger than all of us combined. If Alice fails than Barzilla will destroy the entire Northlands,”

“Well do not forget about me either!” She cried, “I am not trying to sound overly selfish, but I need my husband,”

“Sari, I miss you as well, but I cannot speed up something like this. It is all out of my control,” I said, “I have already seen war, in a way, I saw the effects mostly. We lost many men, but the final battle Barzilla will be there, he wants to see the elves fall himself, Alice can kill him then. She will have three groups protecting her. We will win, as long as no one tires to kill Barzilla other than her,”

“Stay safe. Do not get yourself killed,”

“Sari I am not intending it,”


“Good, you would make me angry if you did not come back,” There was a small laugh.

“And you need to take care of yourself. Stop worrying, it is not good for you or the baby. I will return, only the question is when,”

“You cannot be certain of anything, your life especially.”

“I can give you my word that I have many protecting me because I have the haze in me as well,”


“There is still no guarantee Rai,”

“There is no certainty of waking up in the morning at home or anywhere. There is only a higher degree of danger,”

“Rai, please be careful,”

“I will,”


“Goodbye Rai,”

I did not want her to go. I just wished to hear her voice a little bit longer. I closed my eyes and pondered the words over and over in my mind. I imagined her in my mind, now full with child, glowing and proud. If only I could be there to see her, to be there for my child’s birth less than eight weeks away. There was something in me that knew I could not see it. I only hoped I could be home soon enough. I did not want to miss too much. I had realized what war took, it took away my connections from home, my life possibly, it took so many lives and broke so many families. It terrified me what it could do, its power over minds and lives. It was something I did not understand just yet. Men spoke of how they felt like animals out on that field, that they killed anything that looked like an enemy, they felt such anger and hate and rage, it drove them to do what they did. There was nothing calculated and cold about it, it was pure emotion. Everything was at stake for both sides. It was a fair war, I believed. The men and elves, though, were just fighting for their lives and their land. The nomads were fighting for dignity and to right wrongs of the past, yet their wrongs were now much outweighing what had happened to them.

The author's comments:
I got inspiration from a song "Dare You to Move" by Switchfoot.

Micah slept. He had been crying of pain for hours. Cassien sat beside me, “How is he doing?” She quietly asked.

“Not well, I must say. He still cannot move, cannot yet feed himself, or relieve himself. He is in such terrible pain,”

“It would have been better if he were really crippled. He would not feel as much pain,”


“He still has hope of walking as long as we get the swelling down,”

“Brace it,” She said, “With pressure and get herbs, the kind that gets the swelling down like you said. They tried them on me with my eyes. They said it slowed it down a tad.”

“We shall try that,”

“In the kitchen, in a small wooden box with a carving of a leaf on it. It is the largest jar. Put it in some wine and have him drink it,”

I smiled, “You are quite smart,”

“I have heard that before,” She touched her brother’s hand, “We both must get some rest,”

“I have been staying here,”

“Fussing will not help Asella. Tomorrow we will try the brace.”



I went to Bevellea’s room. I slowly closed the door. He jumped, “Asella?” He wiped the sleep from his eyes, “What are you doing here?”

“May I sleep here tonight?”

“Seems you do often,” He moved over and patted a spot.

“I am sorry,”

“Come here, it is not a problem. We all have that feeling at times,” He yawned heavily and rubbed his arm now.

“For six years I have slept beside you, it feels odd not to now,’


He nodded, “Good night, Asella,” He kissed my forehead and blew out the last candle.



Cassien had retrieved the herbs and come heavy cloth. She sprinkled the herbs into the wine, “You need to drink this,”

“It will not work…” He muttered sadly.

“You must drink it regardless, at the least it will ease the pain.”

“That is the wine, not the herbs,”

I placed it to his lips and he drank it all down, “We need him to be standing, or at least vertical.” Cassien said.

“Gamen is tall enough, he can hold him up so we can brace him,” I called him in and he lifted Micah up so his back was facing us. The swelling had lessened slightly. I began to wrap him up, from his hips to his shoulders. He would not be able to bend yet when Gamen lifted him off the ground there was an audible pop and Micah said, “That helped…”

He was put down on the bed after being braced. Cassien said, “That should make it heal a bit easier,”

“It will not!” Micah cried out, “I will not walk again, Cassien!”

“Giving up sure will guarantee you of that, Micah,” She stated.

He shook his head, “And I am not hungry,”

“You will eat when I say you will,” I had brought him sausage and bread. He ate has his sister instructed although not enthusiastically. “Now we will have to tighten the bandage tomorrow probably, if the swelling lessens,”



The following day we did as so. The swelling was less and the color better. He complained less of the pain, but we continued to fight him to eat. Tailen had come in to see him and said that in a week if he did not improve than he would find a way he could be more mobile than he was currently as we knew that his arms moved. In a few days he could feed himself which gave him a bit more dignity and freedom. Yet only the pain worsened, no movement in his legs returned. Micah had become angry with himself, he had given up and only sat in his bed staring at the walls and windows. He had resigned and ate what we gave him, the herbed wine included.

Cassien came with news in hopes to cheer the boy up. “Micah, Soren and I are going to be married! But we are not telling Father,”

“You said when you get married I could there with you, by you.”

“Well you still can,” She said plainly.

“No I cannot! I am stuck in this damn bed,” He began to angrily say, “Can you not see me?”

“Um… no,”

“Oh I forgot. Well…”

“Then we will wait until you can walk, so you need to start building up your strength. We do not want too long,”

“You are delusional,” He hissed, “Would you let go of that Cassien? You are too much of a dreamer!”

“I feel you should be,” She said and left.

“Micah.”

“You should too,”

“If you wish,”



Cassien and I decided to put his food beside him far enough he had to strain and left him to his own devices. He did not call for us. We only went to him to adjust the brace. He had to work for his food and drink. I watched him as reached for his wine and fell from the raised bed and onto the ground. He cried out but I did not go to help. Although he was weak he had to raise himself up and he crawled with determination back onto his bed, still not having a drink of his wine. So he reached again and was able to drink it, but his food was out of reach, on a very low table. He did not appear to want to get it. So he did not eat. I would only replace the food once it was eaten. It was though on him, but he had to learn that either he had to try or nothing would be accomplished. He had to struggle to be stronger. One battle should not destroy him. He was young, he still had a life to live egghead of him, if he wanted it.

By the end of the day he had not eaten, he had called for me, “Asella! I cannot get to the food and I am hungry!”

“Use your arms,” I said, “Pull yourself to it. I will be here,” I sat at the food of his bed.

He had a look of anger on his face, but it would drive him forward. I dropped to the floor and clawed at the floor to move, but he was so weak that it was painful to watch. He did not ask for help. He reached for the food and the tray flipped over and the bread and fruit went across the floor. He took the bread. He reached hungrily for the fruit and ate it. He was moving much better and because of his hunger, he ate more “I did the work to get to it, can you help me back, or take the mattress off the platform so it is easier to get to?”

His bedroom was large and up in one of the towers, round and relatively empty with a massive picture window looking to Godwin’s city. His bed was on a platform, with two steps and was too difficult to navigate now. “I will get Bevellea and we will move it. Do you want to lay there until we get it down?”

“Do I have another option?”

Bevellea moved his bed near the window that was a massive, wall window so he could stay entertained at least a little bit. The bed was on the ground. I still kept the table far away, enough he had to work for it and the water and wine, yet I allowed him to relieve himself in close proximity. “How is this?” I asked.

“Good,” He said, “Much better,” He lay down and looked at the evening scene, “I would like to go outside tomorrow,”

“How?”

“Maybe Tailen could take me,” He looked so wanting, “I am so caged up in here,”

“That is understandable,”

“Asella?”

“Yes?”

“Do you believe that any girl would take me like this?”

I sat beside him and thought carefully over my words, “I believe people can look past anything. Micah, if you have only listened to me, you have hope of recovery. Your back is much better. A few more days and we will make the brace smaller so you can move better,” I patted his shoulder and then hugged him, “Has your father looked at arrangements?”

“He has not yet thought of Cassien and she was of age seven years ago.” He huffed.

“Shall I speak to him of it for you?”

“I know his response… he will say not girl will take me as I am, much less as I am now,”

“Did you not hear me?” I yelled, exasperated.

“There is nothing you can promise me,”

“I have never met such a negative person.” I said, “If you want to hold your future than you can, but I will not let you,”



In four days we removed the brace and replaced it with something half the size. He still said nothing of being able to move and I slept in his room that night. While he slept I saw his foot moved. He did not notice and when he woke, he made no mention of it. “Micah,” I said, “Will you try and move your foot now for me?” His foot moved and a wonderful smile came across his face, “And the other?” It moved as well. The smile only became wider.

“It moves, they move!” He continued to have his feet move.

“And you legs?”

“No… they do not move,” He said, and his smiled lessened, “Yet it is progress. You were right.”

“I often am!”

He was in better spirits that day. He did not stop moving his feet, worried his ability would diminish.



The next day I acted asleep as I miraculously saw Micah sit up, he was slow and labored and he used all of his strength and he held himself up by his arms. He put his feet on the ground and shakily stood. He took a single step and fell with a sickening smack. I sat up, “Micah?”

He slammed his fist down and screamed out, it was primal and filled with sorrow, anger and pain. He just lay on the ground for a while, thinking over what he wanted to do. My eyes fell on his. I gave him my hand, “Stand up Micah,” He held on tightly and he worked to stand up. He stumbled but I held him up. He shook all over with effort. “Do you believe me?” I asked him.

“Yes,” He said. I sat him down on the bed and he was smiling so brightly. “I walked,”

“You walked,”

“I am tired, though, my back is and my legs,” He lay down on his pillow.

“Maybe later we will walk a bit more,” I said, “I brought food so you need to eat to keep your strength up.” I gave him some bread and berries. He ate slowly and sat up still to look out the window.



In a few days he was taking good steps, but he was not walking unaided or well. His family was concerned, although I made sure to have Micah focus on progress. He wanted to be at his sister Cassien’s secret wedding. She was willing to wait to marry for her twin. During this time we had to plan out and predict the coming war. It would be fought somewhere in Gehenna but there were two hemispheres, the west, reaching into Ashling and on the east, touching Ellmere and Ebonwood both. It was too far east, we would lose Albridge’s support. Too far west and the access to Ellmere and Ellmere’s wolves would be limited. We needed to meet in the middle, at the southern most point of Mt. Leery. The exact middle and safest place to plan it, if it could be planned at all. Ebonwood’s forces would come along the borders of the Deadlands a safe path for them as no wolf would go near the dead, hot and deserted area, only the wild desert wolves would be in their way. Yet those were foes, tough and vicious animals, always hungry for Dark blood. Ellmere’s army, although depleted, was still not going to back out. They had their wolves and more were ready each day. Albridge had many men, trained, Aylwin would fight until the death of them all to protect what left they had, despite that the Pentilin was a protective shield. The experience of the Aylwin elves in war was of great need to the inexperience men finding themselves on the battle field.

Yet I expected Albridge would make use of their oversupply of slaves, throwing even young boys into battle to fight for men who had little regard for them. It seemed like a broken system, but the war halted any reform. I could only imagine how the turmoil would continue afterwards. Rai had spoken of eliminating slavery in his kingdom; he said that it was out of control, forty percent of his people being in it at any one time. Yet Kellise did not approve for their own reasoning, even though their curse would end after Barzilla’s demise. They would rejoin the elves in Caval Elle, a large change.

Barzilla had changed much. It was difficult to imagine the transition back to the old ways, Adderouge opening up, the elves and Tellsens retreating back into their homeland, Ebonwood’s compounds destroyed. It would be interesting to see the nomads rebuild, what would become of displaced Dark Ones and Tiers? Would they be executed by the hurt people of Ellmere? The elves? Would they retaliate or focus on rebuilding their own land? Would the Tellsens leave Kipling as they seemed content to live there? So many questions there were that no one had pondered over!

And there was a reason. No assurance stood that anything would happen. Alice had proclaimed that if the child she carried was no born at the time of war, she would not go. She said she owed it to the child to give it life even though she would not be there to raise it. Spring would be our time, but two months away, it would not be full term. We had our work cut out ahead of us.

Bevellea had told us that he was to return home for a few days and we were to come. Asella, Eveste and Gamen as well were to come. He was brimming with smiles. Alice did not want to go, she would have to leave Gannon in Godwin, which she was reluctant to do. She was so attached to him. Yet she was convinced that it would be fun. Bevellea said there would be a feast and a feast would have ale, “And men!” She cried out.

“You are married now, Alice, you cannot,”

“Oh yes, I can,” She said, “I married him because I love him, but I promised no fidelity.” She was matter of fact about that and she patted me on the shoulder, “You could meet someone!”

“No,”

“Still boring. Do you have your things put together? We need to go,” She pushed me along. I held our packs and she ran downstairs, surprisingly light of foot for someone so full of child. We went to the horses where the other four were.

“Are you ready, Miss Alice?” Eveste asked.

“Yes I am ready for a party!” Alice smiled. We all sighed a bit annoyed but she liked annoying people.



It took a day to get to Bevellea’s little village. It was a conglomeration of small thatched, wattle and daub cottages with little gardens attached and rough fencing with animals grazing. Bevellea took a heavy breath and smiled. There were people outside working, tending to something. No one stood idle. His eyes had landed on a small house, beautiful in appearance as it had many flower beds. “They are there!” He exclaimed, there was a woman outside with a girl, “My little girl is so big!” He went forward and we waited, “Rosalie!” He cried out. The woman turned with a stunned look on her face. She ran to him and they embraced and kissed. She was crying happily. His daughter Killia was thinking heavily. Bevellea hugged her and a smile crossed her face. It was a lovely reunion. Bevellea called for us to come forward and we were introduced. Rosalie hugged each of us. Killia seemed interested by there being so many people as company. “Father! Father! I want to show you something!” Hanging on the side of the home hung three of Bevellea’s bows. “When the men practice, I go with them! I better than some of the boys!”

“That is good!”

“Watch,” She took a bow and had a quiver and shot at a target hanging on a tree. “It took them a while to let me in, so I taught myself,” He took a bow from the home into his hand. It was a large, black hunting bow. “I cannot pull that one back,” She said. The third bow was similar to the black although a grey color. “Rai, come here,” He bid me and I came. He handed me the grey bow and an arrow. He took a rock and hit another hanging target so it would swing.” I wanted to hit the target with that one arrow. So I focused and pulled the string back, aimed away from its current position to where it would be and shot. I hit it well. “I am impressed,” Bevellea exclaimed. Somehow it was of great relief to me, I felt proud, but said nothing. I handed him the bow and he said, “Keep it. I have something else to give you. A few things,” He threw me an old quiver, and then inside his home. From an old truck he pulled out a box. “You need to be able to protect your sister and with a good sword.” He had a few swords in the case, he gave me one of them, “That was made by my father, they all were. He was a smith,” He said with a bit of sadness in his voice, “Asella had shown you how to use it,”

“Thank you sir,”

He looked around his home. There was a ten year old or so who looked puzzled with strangers around. Rosalie introduced the boy to his father, “We must have a feast! I will tell everything! Killia, help the guests put their tents up!” Rosalie left in a hurry and went to her many neighbors. The village erupted into excitement and activity. The next night would be a feast. “Rai,” Killia came to me, “Would you like to please practice with me? Father is busy right now,”

“I would love to,” She led me to her village’s archery course, “Do you all have to practice.

“Twice a week!” She said, “I think it is fun. Only the boys have to,” She pulled an arrow out and pointed at a circular target. She got the center on her first try.

“I am going to go all the way around it,” I said and did as so. She was smiling, “Was that great?” She nodded.

“Rai!” Alice called out. She ran over, “What are you doing?”

Killia said, “We are practicing. Would you like to try?” Alice nodded and I gave her my bow and an arrow. I looked around to make sure no one was in the vicinity to get hit possibly. She was unable to pull back the string and fumbled with it. Killia handed her the smaller bow instead. Alice could pull it back but her aim was terrible, she hit to fence, a tree or two even and she said, “That did not work well,”

“Did you try to aim?” I asked.

“Well, yes!” She exclaimed, “But the arrow will not cooperate!” She gave the bow back to the girl and she pointed and shot with apparent ease. “You have had practice! That is not fair!” She laughed.

“It is not the arrows fault you missed.” She said.



Asella


Bevellea left the children at the house for me to watch. He and Rose wanted to have some time together. Killia was talkative, saying how happy she was, “Ma will not be so sad anymore and crying at night.” She had a calm smile on her face. She laid her head on my lap. It caught me by surprise, but I put my hand on her shoulder. She closed her eyes, “She has been begging for him to return every day, while us children forgot about him… it has been so long. The boys know nothing of him other than what Ma has said. I have practiced with his bow, so I could show him when he came back. Now he is back and he wants to be with Ma, not us.”

“Oh, he wants to be with you too.” I said, “He has talked a lot about you and is very proud of you as well. He just needs to be alone with your Ma now for a little while. You have all of tomorrow to be with him.”

“Is he leaving again?” She cried out and sat up.

“For a little while, yes,” I said, “He will come back I promise,” She stood up and went to bed.



Bevellea was out caring for the animals so his wife could sleep in. It was morning and the sun was glimmering like gold. It was warm outside and he was calm and had a proud look on his face. He was back home. “Good morning Asella,”

“How do you feel?”

“Like I never want to leave…” He answered, leaning against the fencing. A horse stood faithfully by him, “Bygrim,” He said, “I suppose I will take him with. He has been with me my entire marriage.” Rosalie came outside in her nightgown, “Hello,” She said to us both. She hugged Bevellea and buried her head in his chest, “We have told people of the feast,” She looked up, “We must get ready. I have Killia making all of the bread,” She removed herself, “Asella, she asked for your help.”

Killia was in the kitchen of her home, a small barrel of grain flour at her feet and the kitchen was ready. “There you are! Thank you for helping out. I need it. Ma is going to the Long House to get things ready,”

“Alright, just tell me what to do,”

“Alice should be here soon as well,” She said, “Can you put these on a shelf? The one above the hearth, while I mix more,” I put five loaves of bread dough to rise as Alice came in. She was very hearty at this time. “I will mix, Alice have you made bread?”

“Of course. My mother was kitchen maid at the palace. I was with her all the time.”

“Knead the dough please, Asella you can cut the top, rising it and baking it,” We did that throughout the day. Killia made some bread just for her father with wine in it, “Mother made this a lot and always said that it was Father’s favorite,” She said, “I hope he lies it.” She looked at Alice, “When are you going to have your baby, ma’am?”

“I hope soon,” She said, “What is this party going to be?”

“Eating!” Killia announced, “And Lots of it! There will be a little music and dancing, but people will be much too full!”

“Ale?”

“Well yes, but silly you know what they say. You are not suppose to have ale while carrying. It makes the children have mind problems.”

“That news it a little late now,” Alice laughed, then she appeared startled and put her hand to her stomach. “I did not expect birth pains so quickly.” She waved the air, “I can still work,” I went through my mind, in less than a day Alice would be holding her child. It was going to be fast, she had given birth to four children already, the only one who had experience delivering children was Gamen, though, oddly enough. I told Killia I was supposed to speak to him.

Gamen and Bevellea were sitting together on the fence. “Hello, Gamen!” I said, he looked concerned by my tone, “Alice is having birth pains. Tonight I believe that your services will be needed.”

“Is there no midwife in this village?”

“Well, in the village over,” Bevellea said lightly, “It would take a day to get her ere. By then the baby would be born,” He said, “Rosalie can help if needed,”

“I have served many births. I am fine, but all were Dark Ones and Slavinicas.”

“It should be all the same,”



The feast came, one long, long table ran down the hallway. Most people stood outside. Alice, Killia and I were hurrying to put all the food on the table. Killia had all the bread together, there was duck, goose, rabbit, beef as well as that boiled caged and fruits and pies. Killia said, “I am so glad to see all of this! We only get this during weddings normally. People have worked so hard!” Barrels of wine were on a table. She took a mug to get a sip. “This came from a wine maker right outside Godwin!” She looked outside, “Ma retrieved my grandmother I see.”

“Bevellea’s mother?” Alice asked. Killia nodded, “She must be happy to see him! I only heard of him having one brother.”

“Yes, that is true. My grandfather hated nomads so much. He saw them destroy some of our village when they came through,” Killia said, “But they came through again when I was two and killed him. My Pa went absolutely mad and killed a whole slew of them. They have not been back since.”

“Do you have wolves?” I asked.

“The village does, yes. We have some for hunting and guarding, but they will attack if instructed,” The girl was animated, a breath of fresh air. I was amazed by how happy and light she was. Bevellea had a good daughter. He said how he wished he could have house filled with children, at least five, but Rose’s childbearing age had passed, but he was proud yet to have the children he had and he wanted his only girl to be strong in the face of adversity as he expect such from his sons.

The doors were opened as sunset was on the brink. People flooded in. Bevellea was at the head of the table, “Hello my friends and family. We celebrate tonight the age coming to an end! We shall see the war’s end!” there was a great cheer and conversation commenced. I looked for Gamen, he was not in the great chaos. I took a leg of meat and found him sitting alone outside. I gave him the food, “Why are you out here?”

“It is much too loud. I am waiting for Alice as well,”

“She will be fine, she says the pains are minimal,”

“I just do not want to be in there . I look a bit too much like um… well what that would in there is supposed to eat,” He smiled, “Go in there and have fun. If Alice needs me I will be here or in the house,”

I went inside the Long House and Bevellea looked so happy, smiling and dancing with his friends and his wife. Killia was by him and dancing as well. Alice was not drinking ale surprisingly but was urging Rai to dance. The minstrel went on and Eveste took my arm and we danced. We stood out a bit from the rest by how we danced. There was a happy look on his face, something I had not seen in a while. He had been in Ebonwood nineteen years, one less than I, but seeing him in Ebonwood the first was both of the happiest and saddest days. He was such a familiar face. Although I know another needed person in Aylwin was thrown into Dark hands. We now found ourselves in quite the same position. He yet still thought like our kind, although he looked not like our kind. I had told him that I wished to go to Kellise after the war and have the darkness pulled out of me. The throne of Caval Elle was rightfully mine. Not that young elf that was called my brother. I would fight to reclaim it, although my markings would remain but I could clear my mind of all that was not of white magic. It was possible although painful. I wanted only to regain my honor. Eveste would go through it as well. He had much to regain, so much time he had been an advisor. He had to show he was still of his kind.

Eveste hugged me tightly, “You are a strong girl. You have accomplished much. It is because of you we are out of Ebonwood and because of you this war can be won,”

“Yet there will be so much bloodshed yet!” I said in grief. “War in this case is no means to an end. Barzilla only wants to take more to the death with him! There is so much darkness now… it has swallowed up the entire Northlands,”

“And yet you can say this while we are surrounding by joy! Take heed Asella. Look at these people, learn from them to be resilient, despite our people are not.”

“Aylwin at times seems backward,”

“Elves are a conservative people, nervous of others,” Eveste was a gentle creature. No bit of darkness has consumed his mind, nor would it. He belonged in Aylwin and Caval Elle. I felt my place following the war’s possible end would be to help rebuild, find ways to rebuild the nomad’s world. They had suffered as well. War had taken much of their culture and ways of life. It was Aevy that made me wish to give the nomads a chance, to give her a chance. There were good hearts left. Yet I thought of how hybrid they now were, hardly any full-blooded nomads survived, they had been bred so much to create the Dark Ones and Slavinicas, now in-bred with them. Dark Ones would be destroyed after the war, they were but a step behind the hollowed-out idea of the Tiers. They were no culturally or historically bound creature. They were in existence to fulfill Barzilla’s dream of having superior being. Yet it was true that his creations were not intellectual, they had nothing to call theirs except tools to bring death. Barzilla made them to bring down the world of men and elves, anything that stood in his way of domination. He had spent hundreds of years in the making, and one mistake would cost him everything. He had left the haze alive, although debilitated form, it was deadly enough.

“I must tell you something,” Eveste said, “About twenty-five years ago, your father believed you to be Queen one day, he said if I was to outlive him, he would appointed me to be beside you.”

“My advisor?”

He shook his head, “No, King, and your partner,”

“He said nothing of this to me!” I said in surprise. “He never trusted me.”

“That is not true. He believed you be a wonderful ruler, but so young. He only wanted age with you, some wisdom.”

“If he only knew the wisdom I hold now,” I said, “I learned much. It is not as if I had been a child long. I always knew of his concerns and fears.” Eveste stopped dancing and we exited the loud hall and went into the woods.

“You have always been past your years, but you must know that you are still his little daughter. He wants you to stay as that,”

“So why appoint someone but a decade younger than he as my mate? It is nothing toward you, Eveste, but he cannot expect me to be distracted by a mate. I will not be undermined as he wishes!”

“He also told me how stubborn you are. If only he would remember that.” We sat underneath a tree, “You have been to Caval Elle.” He said, “I can see it in your eyes.”

“I have,” I said softly, thinking of the wonderful land. “Bevellea said I should bring you with me, but I wished to go alone.”

“I shall see it soon enough,” He said.

Rai

Alice looked surprised and put her hand on her swollen belly. “It sure is coming!” She exclaimed, “Come on, let us get Gamen,” Killia followed us out, interested.

“Can I be with you? Please, please, please, please Alice!” She begged, “I really want to see a baby, I really do!”

“Must you see it come out of me?” Alice asked, the girl went quiet. “Come on, you can be there although I am sure the party is much more entertaining than my screaming in pain,” The girl laughed and skipped along as we found Gamen, “Let us get inside,” She said.

Gamen took her by the hand as she started to cry from a hard pain. She bent over a bit and Gamen held her up and led her into Bevellea’s home. She was placed by the warm fireplace on a thick quilt. Killia retrieved some water and a cloth for Gamen. “Has your water broken?” Gamen asked Alice.

“What?”

“You have had children before, Alice, has your water broken?”

“Um… no,” She said, “If you mean am I wet? No, if you are talking about something else than I do not know,” She said, he sighed, a bit annoyed.

“I have to check,”

“Fine with me,” She said and put her head back and hummed a lullaby. I sat beside her and she searched for my hand and took it.

“You must have had it broken,” He said, “You are hardly dilated though. You have a little discharge,”

“With Aili it was a flood!”

“Your baby is very small, I believe,” He said, “I can give you that assumption,” His hand was illuminated as a light. She closed her eyes and went quiet.

“Please try to keep my baby alive, Gamen,” She begged.

“I will,” He said. She had more pains all of a sudden, into the night Gamen said that she needed o push. I sat behind her as she rested on me. Killia stayed a while before saying she was tired and going to bed. Alice seemed to have a hard time of it, although I had nothing to compare it to. Gamen said, “Here she is,” The baby was tiny and did not cry. She had no pink color.

“Is she alright? Gamen?” Gamen said nothing and went to the fireplace to warm her. Alice was crying now. Gamen’s hands lit up blue and he held the tiny child in a single hand and covered her with the other. The child’s color returned and it cried slightly. “You saved her Gamen!” I moved from behind her. She sat up on the wall with the child now in her arms. Gamen massaged her stomach so he could deliver the afterbirth. Alice was tired and fell asleep, “You should rest as well,” He said.



Asella

The morning had come. Most were yet asleep from the long night. Rosalie was asleep with Bevellea in their house. The women of the village had cleaned up the Long House quickly and I entered the home and found Gamen in Killia’s room struggling to stay awake. “She had a nightmare last night. She asked me to stay with her and not fall asleep…” Killia was resting beside him. I smiled, partially amused, “I am exhausted,”

“You had a full night,” I said.




The day dragged on, most people in a fog from either drink or fullness. Bevellea polished his swords under a tall tree. Eveste was sitting beside him. It was mid-day, no breakfast had been made for anyone beside the three children. “Are you hungry?” Both shook their head. Bevellea yawned widely.

Alice came outside and looked at me, “Do you recognize this voice?”

“I know where you are Alice, I will find you and kill you and your baby! I will kill your brother as well! You cannot escape me! Pallan will be raided by my army. Anyone with the haze will be slaughtered, your children and family!”

“You are so mean!” She cried out.

“Oh, who said I was nice?” He sneered, “Do not expect any mercy from my people. We will destroy all that you love! You would be happy to die!”

“Then come to me and kill me yourself coward! Do not hide up in your stupid little tower!”

“Why take the risk? You will be dead before the battle even begins,” He withdrew and so did she.

“Was that Barzilla?”

“Yes dear, that was.”

“I am scared. He is going to go to Pallan,”

“The Eleionomae will stop him. Have no fear, but they are coming here,” I said timidly. “Bevellea!” He stood up, “Barzilla has told her he is sending nomads here and to Pallan to wipe the haze out. We must hide them and fast.”

“Them?”

“The women and children! Station men in the trees with bows surrounding the village. We must hurry!” Bevellea pulled Alice into the clear, Rosalie, the baby and his children. He explained little to them.

The chief of the tribe appeared angry with Bevellea, “You brought them here and destruction upon us!”

“Chief, I meant no harm. These people are good people; we must fight. I ask you to put your men in stations and let the wolves loose into the forest. We must have them weakened before arriving,”


Rai

It was hardly night fall when wolves returned. Some were bloody, we knew that the nomads were coming. I was put in a tree, now observing. The wolves howled, as if to call for reinforcements. Bevellea appeared livid, yet he had such concentration in his eyes. Asella stood, waiting to see what she might do.

I climbed up higher and peered out the tree. I saw an orange glow, not too far off in the distance. They brought fire. “Bevellea!” I called from the tree, back on a somewhat low branch, “They have fire!” I knew his power allowed him to control water and were along a creek carrying plenty of water. The Dark group’s marching was loud, the ground rumbled in protest. The first I could see was soon shot down. We had thirty archers in trees, but only about ten people on foot, including the chief. As some entered and were shot, the forest and thatched homes were lit ablaze. Bevellea could only do so much as he was fighting off foot attacks. Gamen fought alongside them as Bevellea’s defense. Eveste stood warily by the center with the Pentilin sword.

The flames engulfed houses, and there were screams many of the bowmen went to their feet to fight and to protect their homes. Asella had become something like a glowing bird and she picked up nomad soldiers and dropped them, if not tearing them apart. It was pure chaos. The head Dark One was called Amar, he stood tall and scarred, and did not appear to be harmed by arrows. His skin was tough as cow-hide. He was holding a crumbled paper in one hand and a massive bastard sword in the other. He looked more beast than Dark One. He was dressed as so, bare-chested unlike many of his semi-protected counter parts. He wanted Alice, he was not here to waste his energy killing and maiming villagers in a small farming community. He was no animal, he did not kill what was in sight, instead he ignored it. He burst into homes and looked through all the women, yet was unsuccessful. Bevellea’s home was left. My heart was racing madly. I swore to protect her and I would do so. I was going to stop him.

Eveste was not going to be able to stop Amar. The Dark One held the sword with a grip of iron and came up to Eveste. The Pentilin sword did hardly anything. He was as stone! I was shocked and scared. Amar took no time with Eveste, he put the sword right through him, and he fell. I ran to the cellar but Amar had already broken through. I heard screams and Alice was dragged out. She grasped her baby girl to her chest protectively, but she cried. Alice as the only one who could kill him. I nodded to her, “We are out of here boys!” Amar yelled, “We have our prize!” My heart fell.

“Alice!” I called out, “Do it! You must!” She fought against his arm and closed her eyes. The Dark One went stiff and he did not move. Then he collapsed and seized, flopping like a fish out of water. He writhed madly until he was limp and dead. One soon came to her and I shot him in the neck. Alice retreated to the cellar. It was not over now, the Dark One’s leader was to be avenged. It was not easier. Terror filled me. I left Eveste as I saw Bevellea being ambushed. He was surrounded, but he had no signs of fear in his eyes. He was angry. They attacked his home. He was supposed to be safe and comfortable here and that was violated. I was not sure if I should help, although there was little thought of war. It was only survival now.

There was a choir of howls in the distance. Help was coming. Wolves from various other surrounding villages had sent their aid, although it was cold to see it not in the form of men, but there were some men on horses. Bevellea did not take his eyes from his target, which was thankful as when I did, he saved my life. “Pay attention!” I prayed I had not lost his respect. Yet that was one of my least worries. The wolves sped through, so quickly taking down the Dark One’s, packs at a time decimated them. When the entire Dark One’s population had died, the wolves went back to their home villages.



Asella

I ran to Eveste. He was not moving. “Eveste, listen to me!” I cried out. His eyes opened, “There you are,” He was gripping his abdomen while his breathing was labored. Bevellea took him up and carried him inside. He had been stabbed deeply.

“Let me go Asella…” He muttered.

“No I will not! Do you hear me Eveste? Hold on! You cannot go now,” His eyes closed, “Eveste!” I looked to Gamen. “You must do something! Save him!” Gamen appeared confused, “You saved Alice’s baby girl!”

He bent down by Eveste and closed his eyes and put his hands on Eveste’s head, he opened his mouth and breathed into him a golden light. It appeared stars were coming out of him. Eveste resumed breathing. Bevellea patched him up, “Asella make sure my family is not harmed,”

Rai was already in the cellar. Alice’s child was crying and she tried to console it. His family was intact, Rosalie holding her three children, “It is safe,” I said. We led them out and hurried them inside as not to see the death outside their door. I still worried for Eveste as he was not acting as himself although alive.

We carried the bodies of the Dark Ones, including Amar to be burned. Those men and wolves that died of the village were given proper burial in the night. The next day was long. People were thrown into grief and Bevellea though it would be best if we left. “You cannot leave these people after such events!” Gamen exclaimed.

“They are angry,” He said, “They believe I have brought this upon them!”

Alice whimpered, “No, it was me that did! It is my fault that all of those people are dead!” She cried into her brother’s chest. “Just tell them if it makes them feel any better I will be dead soon enough!” The words caused all hearts to fail a bit.

“We do not blame you, I should not have risked your life by taking you out of Godwin,” He sighed and rubbed his face, “Let us put away the tents. We can leave tonight,”

Gamen said, “What about Eveste? I do not believe he is up to travel,”

“We shall make it as easy as we can for Eveste, Gamen,” Bevellea said softly.

Rosalie began to protest, “You have been home but two nights! Bevellea you cannot leave now! Please, I have waited six years!”

“I told you I would have to leave. The war is not finished. I will come back home, Rose, I promise,” She still appeared angry, “I am not happy either to go,”

Killia cried now, “Papa! No!”

He lifted her up and hugged her, he held her and said, “Goodbye,”



Godwin was a safe place for Alice now. Cassien planned to marry the night we returned in a small cottage of a friend of hers. Micah was able to be present for the ceremony. I helped him as he slowly walked inside the house. Cassien was dolled up beautifully. Her hair was curly and long, flowers in her hair as well. Soren stood tall and grim. He understood that he was uniting rival kingdoms. Neither father would approve of what was about to occur. I could only imagine what would happen when the king would find out.

They were married, Micah leaned on me. I figured that I would have to get a cane for him to walk about. He needed to learn to walk again. He was ecstatic about his sister’s marriage, saying that he deserved it. Soren knew there was a battle to keep his family together.

The woman’s house was small, he served us corn bread and stew. No one was choosy about the food. It was joyous enough although Bevellea was quiet. Gamen stayed with Eveste in the castle as he was getting some medical help. Micah was talking freely and easily, finally smiling, having made his goal of being at Casein’s wedding.




I helped Micah to get back to his room and he w standing strong. There was such a smile on his face and in his eyes. “Thank you, Asella, for all of your help. I am very grateful,” I nodded, “I have not met someone so patient,” He took my other hand. Then came close and embraced me, touching his lips to mine. He gently kissed me. He pulled away, “I am sorry. I should not have done that,” he looked to his feet. I did not know what to say. On one hand I was surprised, his gentleness was striking compared to Jakia. On the other, he had to understand that I was not feeling like that toward him. It was a characteristic of my people. The boy was embarrassed, it was easy to see.

“You are fine,” I began, “But do not let it happen again,” I patted his shoulder, “Have you ever kissed someone before?”

“No, unless my sister’s cheek counts, but I… oh never mind,”

“I want to help you Micah,” I lifted his chin up.

“Father says I cannot marry a noblewoman… only a village girl,”

“Well, that widens your options,” I answered, “After the war I will try to help you find a girl, I promise,”

“I wish to be as lucky as Cassien! I want to find someone I love… Father loved my mother.”

“I am sure it is possible. Do not doubt yourself,”

“Oh but I am!”

“And it is not making you feel any bit more confident, now is it?” I asked. He shook his head no. “Exactly,”

War was upon us, its anger, hatred and cruelty. Pallan had been attacked, saved only by the hungry Eleionomae. The word had spread that Alice was in Godwin. The man walled city was a saving grace. Four times had the city been at risk. Men had died in defense, having found a weakness past the first wall; it was climbed with a rope and hook. During daylight hours few were guarding in thought it would be too obvious.

Alice’s child was faring well enough, although very small, early for a woman of her age. She reminded me of Kiena, a mother to a young child only to die in sacrifice. Although I did not see an innocent young, and naïve Slavinica, instead what I saw as a childish mad woman with few morals of modesty or purity. Despite those qualities she was charming and even loveable. It was sad to know Barzilla was yet taking another life and he was going to leave a legacy of loss and grief. Little good came from his existence.

The time was coming for battle. We had prepared ourselves, Aylwin, Albridge as well, allegiance was sure. To what end was a question. Barzilla wanted to be there was watch the destruction for himself. He expected no saving grace of the elves and men. Alice was destroyable and in his mind, she was already dead. A similar looking woman had been killed outside of Godwin. His plans would commence without inhibition. Only we would know. As the days progressed we had prepared food and weaponry. Ellmere wished to send their best wolves back into battle as a gift. They had little to offer as an army, although that was offered as well. In any immediacy Ellmere was always most at risk, half of their land already had been taken and called Ebonwood.

Alice had come to me the day before we left and asked, “My baby Sylvia, would you take her to Pallan for me? I want her to find a wet-nurse. Are you taking Gannon, Rai and I to Pallan after?”

“Yes, I shall, with both,” I said. She handed me the child after she kissed her. She lay in a basket, asleep and wrapped up snuggly.

It was morning, by the next day I would be in Pallan. I flew, carrying the child in the basket. I needed to hurry as I had no way to feed the baby and all I could offer was some Pentilin milk Eveste had to care for wounds. It would nourish her and keep her full for a good amount of time, although I still worried.

Pallan appeared full, busy, people milled about, doing their daily tasks. Around the center of the area was the palace and its grounds, fields and small shacks. I dove down to the ground, transformed and held the child in my arms. She was precious, a black-haired, blue eyed child, with no bearing of outside looks part of her mother’s. The child was peaceful, it knew nothing of peril or pain or grief. Only that would come in time.

The palace was simple, I entered with ease. “Do you know where I could find Lucy Diamond,” I asked a maid.

“She is in the library ma’am,” She pointed toward a large and long corridor. It was wide and open, lit by many candles hanging along the wall. The library door was open and the sky light let sun pour in heavily. I heard shuffling and I followed it. The baby was whimpering in my arms. Finally I saw a flaxen haired woman standing at a table. A man sitting was sitting by her. The man was her husband, Bryce, the uncle in two ways of Sylvia. “Lucy Diamond?” I asked.

Lucy looked up, “Yes? Who are you?”

“I have been sent by Alice, my name is Asella,” I said, “Her daughter Sylvia,” Lucy put her hand to her mouth and almost cried. She took the baby and her husband came about.

“Where is Alice?”

“She is leaving Ellmere as we speak. We will go to battle in Gehenna. I will bring her back with Rai and her husband Gannon,”

“Will she be alive?”

“It is possible. Queen Aviara said she could live up to four days afterward without the haze,” I said, “If I can fly fast enough,”

“Fly?”

“If I can fly fast enough, I can be here in a day from Gehenna,”

“She looked confused, I thought over it for a while, “Would you like to see Aili and Callum?” I nodded. We walked out of the library and through the corridor. Bryce tagged along, carrying a handful of papers. We went up the stairs from the lobby to a nursery room. There was a small child, maybe a year old, a girl, near Callum. Lucy said to a maid, “Would you find me a wet-nurse?”

“We just assigned the one,” She said, “I will speak to Sophia. I will be back briefly,”

I took out the Pentilin milk as the baby began to cry. She looked so wanting for her mother. I sat at a chair. Aili looked at me curiously. The boy was a bit older and he was shy and was wary of me. Lucy put the baby in a bassinet and rocked her to sleep.

Soon a young girl, just a child herself, but full with a baby was brought into the room. She was in a slave’s garb, a headscarf halfway covering a scar on her forehead, “Sophia here will be taking care of Sylvia until she can be weaned,”

“How old is the baby?” Sophia asked.

“She is only two weeks old,” I said, “She has to be fed very often because she is so small,” I lifted the child into Sophia’s arms. “Her… father, in sorts, will be here soon to take care of the other two children as well. I must be going,”

Lucy took my arm, “Please, I would like to see my sister, alive, even if just for a little while,”

“I will try my hardest to give you that,”



As I flew away I thought of the child. Sylvia would be in the care of a loving family, yet orphaned from any blood parent. I could only hope Gannon’s presence would suffice and the knowledge of the great and legendary sacrifice her mother made. She would have siblings and multiple aunts and uncles. But I also questioned if Rai would be changed. Her certainly would have matured, with a broader sense of thought and of judgment, awareness of his humanity, awareness of mortality and no life was free of that. I hoped his experience would bring prosperity to Pallan, to end the slavery that continued to live on. I knew the want was in his mind, but now he had strength and courage. I hoped he would also open Pallan up to the rest of the Northlands. It would be a comfort, in my mind, to not be so alone.


War was by us, faster and faster each moment. It would be as legendary as mentioned, needed. It was pivotal, not as menial as so many before. Each life lost would have been lost to a purpose. Elves, men and even nomads and Rykers would unite for the first time to heal old hurts. Forgiveness between nations would be inevitable. The kingdoms of men were unknowingly united by marriage, something forbidden, but all the while the kingdoms would be united by blood. The men would die on the same battle field, beside each other with a common enemy. The elves would die with them, not hidden away in cowardice. I wished war would change my conservative father’s mind and ideals. Things were changing, progress could be found.

I wished to see Barzilla fall, that was my greatest want. There were more wants, though, I thought often of Jakia. I wanted to find him, whether or not to enact revenge was a question. He had done so much, caused me to fall out of morality further than I would have. I wanted him to feel like he was in the dust, under the mercy of another, like his life could be gone in a single moment. Yet I knew past his lies and sneers. He was not fully cold. There was life yet in him. I wanted to use his knowledge to help rebuild the nomadic world, to bring the world to rest.



I came to the camp. The elves had arrived and I went to my father. “Hello Asella,” He said, “What are you doing here?”

“I will fight alongside my people,” I said, “You cannot stop me.”

He took a big bread, “I will allow that,”

“And I will speak to them,” I said. He nodded slowly. “We must have guard around Alice at all times,” I said, “And archers in the trees along the field. The wolves will be present as well. We will have three hundred head of them, all trained. We also have about five hundred men from Ellmere; over three thousand from Albridge, twenty Rykers and the free nomad tribe’s males will fight, about one hundred of them,”

“Yet the army of Barzilla is much larger, Asella. You could put all the men and boys in the Northlands onto the battlefield and you will still not have an advantage in bodies,”

“We have heart and courage. Most of Barzilla’s army are brutes, simply. They have nothing, so nothing to fight for, not even themselves,” I said, “These men have their livelihoods, family, villages to fight for, the nomads have everything to fight for, their dignity especially, the Rykers, their whole race and the lives have Caval Elle, a late king and his queen to fight for. We have more might Father. There is hope to see your land again,”

“Allistair always knew that and when he was with that Slavinica girl I knew he trusted her enough to give the haze to her and to be carried and grown with the child in her. If only he knew she was willing to die for it and her child to have a chance at life. To think a human’s pettiness almost cost it its life. This brings another thought to mind, the haze is afraid to die. It does not want to. That girl will go mad before she see’s Barzilla,”

“She is already mad Father, yet she is strong and understands what must happen. I believe she will complete what is entrusted to her,”

He nodded solemnly, “She knows she will die?”

“Yes, she had been informed of that before leaving Kellise,” I stated, “I wish you had gotten to know the girl. She is special, unlike any person I have ever known,”

“Do not become too attached,”

“Anyone who meets her is attached almost immediately,” I plainly said.



There was little fear in the eyes of any. It was a curious sight. No one feared death despite the fact many would die. All had accepted it, resigned to it. Gehenna was near and smoke came from the southeast toward Ebonwood. I questioned if Barzilla had any fear, if Alice really was dead. I wondered if that fear would drive him not to show it or if he was in a different form. Each death his body took, his spirit would take a new body. He would, though, wear his garb of a steel grown. Alice knew this. One of my kind and Eveste both coached her. The only thing she could truly prepare for was to find who Barzilla was and everything else could not be predicted.

We prepared those available however possible. The elves’ horses were cared for, the armor was shined, Pentilin swords dipped in Pentilin milk. Men were told briefly about the Tiers. All the while the Rykers were ready for battle, bare-breasted, and with war paint, just like the nomads and Grendlam was among them. All of the wolves were fitted with their spiked collars, well fed to keep their strength up, the wolf Luna was by Rai’s side. I thought over if I would have to carry her to Pallan as well.

I looked to the Ellmerian kaufs. They were partners. The wolves would avenge their masters to any extent necessary, as would the kaufs to their wolves. There was tension. The fate of the world both the North and South, East and West, the land, water and the things left unseen. That was why the men fell quiet as night fell upon us. I watched these stars above, partially hidden by the gloomy up and coming doom the world had seen growing for centuries now. Barzilla’s shining or failing moment. He had as much following as the good powers. It was a matter of courage now and heart. That is what I kept telling myself at least.

Barzilla had Tiers, though, with powers unknown. There was some who could be as dragons, some of massive size or strength, shape-shifters as I, those like liquid who could not die by the sword nor arrow, others as stone of who stone could not kill, arrow could not pierce, and those with immense speed. We had restrictions, as ‘normal’, even Bevellea’s power was useless. He had no water to sue. Eveste had only the trees to use and the trees were filled with archers. All at this point was situational.


Food was distributed, Alice at the head to busy herself. She had told us of her worrying for her young children and the baby she was unable to nurse. That caused her some discomfort as well as a lack of sleep. She had, had nightmares about this war and her death. She dreamed her baby Sylvia had died because of the haze, that Gannon was killed in war and Rai taken. We wished to have minimal distractions for her as full attention must be allocated for the task at hand, or as Gannon would say, to use all of her mind power.

As the night wore on, most of the men and elves resolved to stare at the fire, unable to fall asleep. They picked at their food, sipped at the drinks, hesitance at every step. I feared that same action when we stared death itself in the face, that they would run, be cowards and let their world fall because of a whim. Some men who did sleep were restless, maybe the fear had seeped back into them or death or failure. The Dark army felt no such emotions; some even held want for it instead of pure indifference.

Even the king had fallen silent, hoping, oddly enough, to see Bancroft and his men in the morning. We waited for the ground to shake from the hooves of horses. Yet there was a thought of no such luck. We had hardly past the border of Ellmere, as in reality the eastern half of Gehenna was within Ellmere, although away from any people, villages even. It was only a prayer that the men of either side would welcome each other. If they could understand the need of either group.


As the morning came and the sun showed itself slightly. The clouds streaked the sky as blood. The men were sluggish to the ring of Alice’s bell the elves stayed with their own Pentilin milk and bread, as if they were wary of her cooking. The stew was crude, made of what was caught on the way to the campsite as well as dumplings. She had heavily seasoned it to cover any fault. There were some leaves in the hot water, although not of trees but of something like a vegetable.

Alice spoke freely of anything that came to mind. Gannon clung near her, knowing that this time with her was coming to an end. Rai had gone quiet with thought. He had the sword in his hand, running his fingers along the smooth part of the blade.

As the men ate, Alice went around asking about her cooking, and as some asked for more, her confidence flew. As well as that, the ground began to shake. The soldiers of Albridge were arriving. They streamed in like a flood of horses and men, with little armor, but proud. The king dismounted from his horse and greeted Falkirk, “Falkirk of Ellmere, we are here to aid you to end this war and bring prosperity back to the people of Arundel. I wish to end the feud between our kingdoms,”

Falkirk stood silent for a moment, “I accept,” They embraced. Soren came close.

“Father, king Falkirk. I have news to speak to you of. I have married your daughter Cassien, Falkirk.”

Both appeared to go pale, for the reason I did not know, fright or anger, something had seized both, “Son?” Bancroft began, “How come you did not come to me?”

“You would not approve of course. In a way I have united the kingdoms. War and blood will only aid what we are doing to end this separation,”

“Everything will be at halt until the carnage is over, son,” Bancroft said softly, “Settle your men down and get them fed. Bring the horses to a place to rest,” Soren ran to the men.


Rai



Night fell, the second night and the longest of the two. Alice stayed with me that night. “I am so worried…” She mumbled. “Will I be different without the haze?”

“You may be,” I answered.

“Will we be in war?”

“Yes,”

“Both of us?”

“Yes Alice, both of us,”

“Will Barzilla really be there?”

“Yes,”

“His voice has been in my mind Rai. I cannot stand it anymore! It is so difficult to sleep!”

“He is trying to weaken you,”

“Oh, I know. If I do not sleep some tonight I will be weary tomorrow. I need strength!”


“You will find it regardless, Alice.” I said to her. She embraced me, lying her head on my chest and closed her eyes. “You just need to put your haze in him and then he cannot hurt anyone anymore,”

“That is what I pray will happen,” She took a large breath and closed her eyes. “I am sad, though. Callum wanted me to take him to the market when I would buy food… not I cannot fulfill that promise! Oh, I hope he will forget,”

“I am sure if he does not know, he will forgive you,”

“Rai?”

“Yes?”

“You will be with me the entire time, right?”

“Yes Alice, I will,”

“Even the end?”

“Yes, I promise,”

“Good night, Rai,” She pulled the ratty blanket onto her, covering me a bit as well. She appeared peaceful. It was evident to see the effects of her haze being active and awake. She looked less human, more like an elf. Her skin was fairer, clearer and beautiful. She had become younger in appearance. She had also become progressively younger in the mind, childish really. When her haze would break I could only imagine what clarity and age would come to her!

I knew I had to rest as we would march to the field in the morning. I thought over in my mind what I would be able to say. I wished to gain respect of the people. Bevellea included.



I did not sleep well, I was nervous for the events of open war in truth. It was something that I was unable to prepare for and the concern on the faces of those like King Aeduuin was but more disconcerting. He had seen every recorded war of Arundel’s time, him often being the recorder! Gamen too did not seem to come to peace with the matter although his people were made for war! Alice, by morning, had the most peace! She had security, though, in knowing her fate, and she did not fear death. What she did fear, was for her children and how or if the haze would affect them. I, though, had no knowledge if I was to live or die. I wanted to see my child be born. Although past that, I would not be reluctant to give my life as Alice was.

I wished to speak to Bevellea; I felt that single idea would gain his respect, although I felt like a child wanting it so bad as if to please a parent.


Bancroft acknowledged my palace as being a king. He sent a squire of his to me to have me prepared, armour and all. I was given a horse as well. For those things I was very thankful for.

The squire, a young man by the name of Ethen, had seen battle. Atwater’s port had been attacked by Dark ships on the way to Kipling. He fought both on land and sea, the siege lasting a few days. He spoke little of details as if he would rather forget them. What he did say greatly increased my respect for Bancroft as he was an amazing and valiant man. I asked Ethen if they had won the battle and in a grave voice he said, “No side wins something like that, sir,” I pondered over the statement and thought of the battle of Fearghal, no one seemed to win that either. Only the Dark ones did not get their prize. Yet the people of Fearghal for weeks following had to dislodge the river of Dark bodies and burn the field itself to cleanse it. It was said black smoke was in the air for days.

Ethen placed armour on me. I had felt it never. I was at ease to walk in it, as I had a good range of motion. I held the sword given to me by Bevellea.

Outside of the tent I could hear Eveste’s voice. He had recovered slightly from his injuries. He was able to fight although still weak and in pain. The other two voices were less familiar, but they were of his kind. As Ethen finished, I asked him who Eveste was speaking to, “The king of the Elves Aeduuin and his brother Elmen,”

Eveste said, “You would believe eighteen years would not overturn millennia of faithfulness sir. I have been by your side since we were children. I have been your servant and advisor,”

The utter stubbornness of the king was stunning. This was not a time for tradition. It was a time to break it. Asella would speak out against this.


Asella

I stood before the company of my kind. Thousands there were, having trickled in until dawn this morning. I pulled ahead and paced my horse before those prepared for battle. “My good people, I understand that I am not welcome here, although I fell I have as much to fight for as you. Eveste and I are leaving proof of Barzilla’s strength. You have a challenge ahead of you! You will face heartless beings! Those of great power, those whose death can be brought by only unknown means. Yet this war is ours, our time to regain what has been taken from our people! We must fight to regain our pride and honor! We must prove that we will not easily be defeated. Only your blood will bring Caval Elle, and your courage and hope! Hands alone cannot and will not bring us to victory! We are not alone in this fight, oh no, we are not forsaken. We are close to the taste of the air of our land! Yes, some of you will not see the land, but I am willing and ready to die alongside you! There will be hard times ahead, good people, yes, but we will show our strength, our ability to hold our ground. Because we are strong, we are able to fight this war, and win!” There was no cheer as would come of the men. Yet I could see that my words had effects. They had lifted their eyes. They looked now as the great armies of old. Those of foot stood in the front, bows in hand, swords readily available on their back. Some had been placed in trees. Behind those on foot was a regime of those on horseback. The horses themselves looked alike, uniform warriors. They were sleek and lovely. Battle would commence.


Rai

I stood before a legion of men, all of different kingdoms, backgrounds and ages. I saw children, old men and everyone in-between. There was great fear now; I felt some would run to hide. “Men, this is not a war to end all wars, for as long as there is men there will be war, yet I must say that there will be men! This war, Barzilla cannot defeat us with all his efforts and breath as we are a resilient people! Out of the ashes we can and will come! You have strength in your hearts and you must find it! Stand against him as he will fall! This woman has the haze, she is prepared to give her life for the war, and you shall as well! Yet I tell you to protect her by any means. She needs the opportunity to do as I have said. I ask you again to find it in you that courage and that resilience. I see fear in you and that fear will by your downfall, men. Face them without fear, but not without passion. Think of your home, your family, wives, children, you are protecting them.”

There was a loud cheer and the men rallied to some extent. It brought joy to my weak heart. They brought to me what I hoped to give them.

Alice was wearing armour as well, it fit her well. She was not happy, spunky, she was solemn. I wondered if I would ever see her as herself again. This was not her, but she was focused. She spoke none, expressed none. I stood by her side. She looked straight ahead, even the horse she was on seemed not to move. Concern took me that she maybe struck with fear, but there was comforting peace in her eyes.

There was a black mass coming ever so closely toward us. My father called out an order to fire. From a majority of the tree line, a rain of arrows hit the mass. Many fell into a pathetic heap only to be trampled on. The arrows continued to fly as my father called for another rain. Another heap was laid down. Soon we would have to draw swords.

It was almost obvious, the effects of the Pentilin milk dipped arrows. The Dark soldiers would have to push harder to get near us. I could already taste the blood .As they were yet far away, I ran forward and into a dragon. I could feel the bodies knocking against me as I plunged into the mass. I could only imagine my father’s dismay! It was comical to imagine truthfully! I could see very little as I did not give my attention to that. I tried to ignore the piercing of spears and swords into my abdomen. I withdrew toward the sky to see what had happened. The Dark army was two-thirds surrounded by our people. The men had penetrated completely into the Dark Ones. It seemed unsafe to dive back in, so I came down in a group of my kind and transformed into a large cat. It was what I wanted, although Eveste and I had to find a certain Tier. Eveste had the only option to kill him, Pentilin bags, as the Tier was like liquid. No sword could kill him. Those of stone I could drop and they would shatter as thin stone would.

As the war progressed, the dead amounted, but it never stopped moving. It was as if the land itself below me as alive and crawling. It was carnage and chaos. Blood had been spilled. So much blood… long lives ad been cut short, short lives had been cut. So easily as well… one movement even. I searched for Alice in amongst this yet I could not see her, nor Rai, nor Soren. Nothing appeared clear, even to my eyes.

I went to the ground, to do as I wished. I wished to taste Dark blood! Something mad took my over, sadness, grief, pain and anger. There was an intense energy. I would not tire through this. It was a fall catharsis of all energy.



Rai

It was something so immense, something I could have never imagined. Alice was not at all concerned, her eyes searched for Barzilla. Soren helped me guard her as there was an ever larger amount of attacks coming toward her. Only Alice knew who Barzilla was, he changed bodies so often that it was difficult to know. Yet Alice did some sort of private intuition. The haze did not want to die, Alice had said, but that was the cursed part. The good part still existed even over all of this time and it was strong. It had cleared her mind as if Allistair himself was driving her.

Tiers had taken to the sky as terrible creatures, bat-like, dragon-like animals that began to drop the dead to the ground as weapons. Both the Dark soldiers and those of the defensive line and horses were falling from the sky.

Sharp shooters were still in the trees, although the trees had begun to burn. The archers fled further into the forest as bait to pick off what Dark One’s had followed.

The rebel nomads of Gehenna seemed not to have lost more than one of their men. They let nothing come near to them! It was as if they had gone through a complete and utter madness. They were screaming and howling like wild animals. They had frightening war paint as their ancestors. They carried spears and clubs. Yet they knew clearly where their enemies were.

The wolves of Ellmere also were going strong. Luna was near me to some extent always, but she was very much intent on doing her job. The wolves were strong and determined. If kicked down, they came back up. I saw a wolf stabbed. It only yelped and continued on, to take out the Dark one who had attacked it. Yet, with the dagger still it, he did not tarry or weary. I wished to know if the valiant creature would survive. And if it somehow did, if it would make the journey back to Ellmere. I doubted it greatly. Yet I smiled at its amazing strength.



The elves had lost many, although were far from defeated. They had as much as anyone on the field to lose. They had skill enough for many men and were cunning and quick. Yet their lightness was little for the utter bruteness and heaviness of the Dark Ones. It felt like they would break, and I felt the once whimsical creatures, although slowly, adapted and had become firmer. They had to become something that could be less easily broken, no longer flimsy they were! Instead, for this moment had become unfeeling stone, feeling only want for revenge, and freedom, nothing physical inhibited them. There was question on if this change was for the better or worse, yet it had an impact.

Then I saw something that made me stop and forget. I was wrong. They were not unfeeling creatures, not of stone, no, there was heart and grief in a place grief was not to be. Aeduuin had lost his friend of so long. One he had just shunned whose wound had held him back. It was Amar who killed im despite im having have fallen and burned. So much knowledge and wisdom went away with the wind. There were tears, than such anger as I had never seen. The king went as wild as the rebel nomads and Rykers. It was not a calm sight; in fact it disturbed my very core. In the midst of battle I questioned why it was he was expected not to act in this manner? This war spanned over hundreds of years, and not in culmination of this. He had lost his home, Allistair and Eveste, his friends, his daughter to Dark blood and potentially his very life. Yet even that could not take away memories, or the pain and grief and for him, even time would not erase anything. It is true, what they say of his kind, they have a tendency not to move on, to be stuck. It was hardly a mental choice. He had another couple thousand years to think and remember. He would never forgive himself.



Alice did notice his, and only her eyes changed, not her face. She still would not hinder herself with pondering as I had begun to do.




Asella

I had known what would become of him. I knew that the injury would not allow him to fight. I told him he should have stayed at the camp. He should have gone home maybe. But he was stubborn, and after my father’s word, he wanted to die. He did not wish to be shunned, stripped of all honor. He wanted to die with him memory intact; he wished to die in battle. Yet I did not imagine my father’s composure to dissolve as so. I had only seen him as a thoughtful, soft-spoken man. He had always been more cold than passionate. If he had thoughts beyond proper boundaries, he kept quiet. My mother had slowly become as so as well.

Yes I was not without being affected either. I had the emotions, no longer of my kind, but a Dark creature, but I was comforted by my grief. It gave me hope of my Darkness fading. Although at this time it was needed, I was facing a loaded task.

I flew to the sky, and let out a cleansing cry. I could feel the earth shake below me. I had something more pushing me other than what I originally felt. Now I had a bit more of an avenging spirit.




Gamen and I went to find the gelatinous Tier. Gamen had become strong against the Pentilin and able to handle a bag made of it. We found the creature with ease and Gamen took half of him, and I took the other half. We tied the bags. I flew into the air, the bags in my talons, as separated as I could make them, and I dropped them into the mountain stream. I came back to the one of stone to enact my plan. Once found he was snatched up quickly. He was strong and fought back and it took most of my strength to hold onto him. I thought he would break my foot himself but I was able to get to the mountain and drop him, he shattered like ice on the ground.

Gamen at this time was fighting the very fast one. He would not be able to keep up for too much longer. Gamen kept him busy as I transformed to cat form and pounced on his back and held on for everything in me, and killed it.

Gamen was panting in exhaustion and shook his head, “I hope Alice hurries up… I cannot do this too much longer. The Pentilin is hurting me,”

Rai

There he was, in sickening glory. He was in the clothing of an evil king and he carried a vicious sword, but when he saw Alice, he smiled. He put the sword in its sheath. He had an odd sneer, pasted on an elf’s face. He had sucked the life out of this body, the hair had gone black with a few streaks of silver, and it had black eyes, sunken cheeks and a pale complexion. Yet still there was an odd and concerning gracefulness.

Alice cried, “You hurt people! So many people!” She cried out. There was a pain in her voice that I had never heard from such a light and careless person. She had such determination and love in her voice yet, she knew what she was doing; she was fully aware and prepared. Barzilla sneered, showing disgusting and rotted teeth. He took her by the neck and held her above the ground. She only dangled, but held on to keep her breath. His arm was strong and large despite the frame of the elf. He had no problem holding her in that place, he planned to suffocate her. Yet she, while she had the time, poured the haze into his eyes as she looked into them. They were something of which I never wished to see again. His eyes were black, and that was it, there was nothing in them, not evil, nor hate, nor pain, nor anger… there was absolutely nothing. He was absolutely soulless, but I knew he had to be in there somewhere; it was not a shell ordering the destruction of so many. It was not a shell who loved to see blood and death! It was not a shell who killed a good deal of my family and the family of my friends!

The black eyes went a milky white slowly. He yet stood despite this. Then my sister screamed with all that was in her, “You are not going to hurt anyone else ever again!”

“Oh Miss Alice, yet I will, I will! There will be you! You and your children and your family! I can still hurt them, dead or not!”

“No. I will not let you.” She said calmly, although there was some pain on her face from her current stance.

Barzilla then fell, dropping her with him. She was able to stand, “Barzilla is dead,” She sighed, “And my haze. I can feel that it is not there. It is odd, very odd,”

I took her by the hand and pulled her into the woods and we hid. She began to show signs that the haze had left her. She said, “Rai, I am very tired all of a sudden,”

“Your haze has been keeping you awake. Now that it is gone, of course you are tired. Go to sleep, I will be here,”

“I am worried that I will not wake up,”

“You will Alice,” I said. She closed her eyes and I kept watch. From our place in the brush I could see the battle field, I could almost smell blood. I waited to see Asella before I felt safe to come out. I did see her soon. The night was upon up. I had woken Alice as Asella came to us. Gannon was on her back, alive. I helped Alice onto her back. She lifted us into the air. Alice rested. As I looked upon the battle field I felt grief. So much death had occurred. Yet relief had taken me that we were flying freely away from it all. We were safe. Safe to any extent we could imagine. I did not know if I would see Bevellea, or Gamen or Eveste again. But much relief had flooded into me. I could see my home, and my wife and child. Gannon could care for Alice’s children and settle down. Life could come back to normal. Questions filled my mind yet. The only treat to Pallan had dissolved. But I did not want to open up Pallan; it would be too much of a leap for my people. I made a decision, that I could open up the coast for colonization and I would allow immigration into my kingdom, although in very small numbers.



The flight was peaceful, calming even. When my sister woke, she chirped, “I will be able to see my children,” She smiled, “Yet I would like to go to my father’s to be with them. That is where I want to be. It feels right to die where I was born,”

Gannon had not said any words up to this point until he said, “There is no one left to return to Adderouge. Not one,”

“That was their choice,” I answered him.

“They did not know anything of war, sir. They did not know of what just took place…” He appeared in shock as he just stared forward and did not make eye contact with anything. “And it has not ended yet!”

“He will when they realize that they have been beaten,”

“Have they? Will it end only because their leader has fallen?”

“He rooted them and he was their strength. They know nothing without him. They shall fall with him, Gannon,”




Pallan came to us and Asella transformed on the ground. Gannon held Alice up, “What will happen now?” I asked Asella.

“It has not been decided yet,” She was quite tired and spoke slowly, “Good bye Rai, and good luck to you all!” She flew up and eventually was out of sight. We walked to Jonathon and Sarah’s house. Sarah welcomed us in, she and Jonathon hugged Alice and cried. Lucy was called to bring the children and her.

It was a mixed day, both of joy and grief. Alice’s strength waned by the house. She had no want to eat or drink, she had some pain now. Yet she had a smile when she was with her children. We made Alice comfortable in the main room by the fireplace.

Cannon met his new family. He was almost overwhelmed. Aili took to him immediately. Alice was comforted and elated by this. Jonathon took to Gannon as well, put him under his wing. He was amazed by the patient held by this man! He was loving and patient with Alice. Someone like that could look past anything and everything. He was willing to adopt three children from his dying wife, and the children of whom he did not father. The children of his adulterous wife.



Asella

I returned. Gehenna was in ruins. Bodies lay scattered. The remaining men returned to the camp with the elves. I noticed movement and flew to it. Taking up the man into the sky and to the camp. I did this many times, bringing wounded to be healed, or at least helped.

All the while I believed Gehenna would be burned. There was a pile, a massive pile of Dark bodies. Every Dark One had been killed, every Tier. We would soon go to the Ebonwood camp and destroy it, freeing the Slavinicas and some nomads. The world of nomads was not to be destroyed; only Barzilla’s world should go with the end of the world.

The camp was worse than any sight I had seen. Men were without limbs, many being busily stitched by elf-women who had come with herbs and medicines. Yet I busily searched for my father. He was in his tent alone, a wretched figure, one filled with tears. He buried his head in his hands, distraught, “Father,” I began.

He looked up, “My daughter, you have made it,”

“I am stronger than you have believed,” I said, “And you did not trust me?”

“I still do not, Asella. You are yet what we have just attempted to destroy,”

Anger filled me and I left, only wanting more revenge. Jakia was my business next. He would be my only revival.





The Ebonwood camp was upon us. I was not alone; my people had come along, although I was much ahead. Upon my back I had the Pentilin sword. I had Pentilin chains. I wanted only the things I knew were terrible. It was not proper to my kind, but as my father had said, I was no longer of my kind, I was still a Tier. I was still dark. I was still what he hated. I was still what he wanted to destroy, what he attempted to destroy, what should be destroyed. But I was stronger than that, I was still alive, I was still good. There was light still in me despite his words and thoughts and despite my own actions.



The camp was relatively vacant, and I knew Jakia’s tent well. I went to it immediately and landed lightly on my feet. I entered to find him surprisingly sober. He seemed amazed to see me and I lifted the sword from my back. I held it to his neck, “No, no, Asella. Now what are you doing?”

“Be quiet, I am speaking.”

“And what do you have to say?”

I pressed the sword close to breaking the skin, “You are mine now Jakia. I own you.”

“Are you sure of that?” He asked calmly although he shook from the Pentilin. His face was purple and yet he smiled!

I put the chains around his wrists and he held in a cry. I knocked him to the ground. His skin appeared to burn. I did not know yet what to do with him. If I should leave him to the fate of the elves, or if I should keep him safe. I did not know, and my mind was spinning so madly.

Jakia said, “I have a daughter, Nakia, she is five. I have two sons, eight and ten. My mate died. Will you find them?”

“Your sons are almost full grown, they can care for themselves.”

“But not Nakia,” He said urgently, “She had been badly injured. I do not know where she is,”

“And you care?”

“Yes,” He said, beginning to writhe on the ground in pain. It almost brought me both joy and guilt! “I do, I do,”

I removed the chains, all but one so he would have to stay in his tent, “Than you will help me find her, Jakia.”

Outside the tent I could hear the elves. I stepped out and it was flooded. Barzilla’s toward went up in flames and began to burn to the ground. It was alive with the flames! It was like the infamous Raid all over again. Slavinicas and nomads were herded together. Dark Ones and any remaining Tiers were put together and systematically killed. Ebonwood was a graveyard for Darkness now.

Slavinicas were told to take up the tents and pack them and anything else they wished to take with them. The Slavinicas were at this time stunned, even in shock. They had been freed from hundreds of years of slavery and now they did not know how to react. They would be given the southern half of Ebonwood as the northern half would be returned to Ellmere’s control. The rebel nomad tribe would get a chip of the western part of Ebonwood for compensation.



Exhaustion had taken hold. Jakia was placed in Aylwin as a prisoner while I trekked to Kellise to deliver the good news. Queen Aviara was thrilled, yet she was oddly confused. She did not know the fate of the haze. Allistair did not write on that. He never expected it to be alive in so many minds. There was joy, though, as that part of the haze died, the People’s curse died as well. Many of her people would return to Caval Elle, but she and some subjects would stay.

I then asked her about something sensitive, if she could remove the Tier from me. She answered, “You have a useful gift, Asella. Why would you sacrifice this for something that will not be given to you?”

“If I am no longer a Tier, my father will reconsider my reclaiming the throne. I am tired to feeling like an animal and unlike my own kind,”

“You can use this power for good, and that is all I can take from you. Your marks and physical changes will stay. Aeduuin is too distraught now to look at you any differently Asella. Keep your power. I will not take it from you,” She put her hand on my shoulder. “I wish you all I can,”





Rai

Alice would not make it through another night. It had been three days that she held on, she was pushing Aviara’s boundary. She was too weak to move though now. Her complaints of pain had ended. We kept her as comfortable as possible. She had spent much time with her children and me t the wet nurse who had been responsible for Sylvia.

She hardly slept so she could always spend time with someone. I did not leave her side, though. Gannon was already caught by grief. He hardly left as well, but did his best to bond with the children.



Night had fallen, Jonathon, Sarah, the children, and Gannon, had gone to sleep. Alice fought to stay awake, knowing if she fell asleep, she might not wake up. She lay her head on my shoulder, my arms rested around her. “I am not sure I am scared Rai,” She breathed, “What do you think it is going to be like? Ma said she thought that afterwards everything is beautiful and peaceful and people are always happy and there is not sadness. No one dies, because you cannot die if you are already dead! And you can still see everyone; can still be with them… even if you cannot talk to them. I hope that it will be like meeting my twin when I see Sylest. I really do. I have heard I look a lot like her. Oh will I even be aware of it? Or will I just be floating in the air? Or will I just not wake up?” She went quiet in ponder, “Rai? Will you find land to give Gannon to build a house?” My head almost turned all the way around just to keep up!

“Yes, Alice,”

“What about animals? He did not come with anything,”

“Yes, I will,” She nodded and smiled.

“Should I go to sleep?”

“If you want to,”

“Should I try another day?”

“If you would like,”

“You are being difficult.”

“Yes, I know,” I answered.

“Rai? I am scared…”

“I know, Alice. I am right here. Do not worry. We all must face this at some time or another. This is your time.”

“But I am lucid enough to know what is happening! I wish I was as mad as normal…”

“Alice, you get some well deserved clarity. That is something you need,”

“Yes, do people normally worry this much? I liked my other mind better. I did not care. Now I care, but it is too late,”

“You have always cared, although differently,” I said.

“I did not care about dying… I do not want to now. I realize that I cannot see my children grow up and to see them have their own, or get married. I… I just feel like I am leaving them without a mother too early, not like I was there very much anyways. I feel guilty,”

“You cannot blame yourself, it was the haze,”

“Oh but it was me Rai!”

“Stop fretting!”

“I am being normal,” She answered with a weak smile. “I am so tired!” She cried out.

“Then go to sleep Alice,” I reluctantly said to her.

“Alright,” She looked up to me. Her eyes were clear and soft. They were deep and wonderful, yet as tired as she had said.

“Good night, Rai,”

“Good night Alice, I love you,”

“I love you too,” She said and she resituated herself and closed her eyes. “Rai?”

“Yes?”

“Will you hum a song for me?”

“Yes, I will,” And I did. She placed a hand on my chest for a little while, but her hand slowly slipped down as she went to sleep. She would not open her eyes again, and soon she was gone. I cried for a little while, my eyes on her children. She was just gone, so easily and so quickly! She was right with me and then… gone. I thought I had prepared myself, but I only had become closer to her. My sister had made me think differently. She opened my eyes.

Grief had enveloped me. By morning I had told Jonathon that Alice had passed Sarah had put her in a shroud and she herded the children away. I wished to bury her in the palace graveyard alongside our mother, and Harry and she was buried that day with no elaborate funeral, only her family standing around her and a pile of fresh flowers. By the following day I had them removed as I did not want to see them wilted and old. It would only bring more heaviness.

Only then did I go to the palace. It was late at night. Lucy met me in the lobby and embraced me. “I am proud of you,” She said and kissed my cheek, “You need to meet someone,” She patted my back, “And get some rest. You look like you have not slept in weeks,”

I went upstairs and entered my bedchamber. Sari was lying in bed, facing away from me. A cradle sat near her, a baby within it. I went beside Sari and kissed her cheek. She moved a bit and her eyes opened. “Rai…” She muttered. She grasped my hand, “You are home,” A small smile came across her. She turned to look at the child. “We have not named him yet…” She sat up and yawned heavily, “He is healthy and he reminds me of you,”

“I am sorry that I could not be here,”

“I understand… I apologize about how I acted before you left. I was being selfish then. Lucy informed me what you did. I heard about Alice as well, and the war. So what do you want to name your son?”

I thought for a moment, “Bevellea,” I said. She appeared confused, “A man who was with us, Bevellea was his name,”

She sat up and went to the child and lifted him from the cradle and she placed him in my arms. He was peaceful in his sleep, “He is a very good boy,”

“How old is he?”

“About three weeks,” She kissed my cheek, “I am glad you are home Rai,”



Gannon was given land and he built upon it with the help of Jonathon and some of the field slaves. He built fencing as I gave him a team of horses and a few head of hogs, some birds and a plow. Sowing season came and I assigned a servant to help him. The children only then moved in with him once the home was furnished. He was able to move plenty of produce by the harvest time and by spring he could afford to hire a hand.



I told my people of the colony. I wished to settle by the sea, something like Presca. About two hundred people left for the coast. Although Lucy still stayed at the palace, she was in charge of the colony. All the while Lucy concluded that the haze was still alive. It had not left her, nor Brielle, nor me. It was unknown, though, if it would pass on any further.



The world was at peace now. It was able to rebuild, but I was shut in Pallan again. I would not know what would happen. It would all be a bad dream that had passed, and only the sight of Alice’s children or the sword would bring it back again.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.