Jimmy and the Mysterious Ticking Ball

Author's note: This is a story adapted from a screenplay I wrote at the beginning of the school year.
Author's note: This is a story adapted from a screenplay I wrote at the beginning of the school year.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6

The Rock (A David and Goliath Allusion)

The next day, Jimmy took the ball out to a lot behind an abandoned warehouse and played wall ball. He tossed it towards the brick and the ball bounced back. He had a steady rhythm going, but the tick-tick-ticking sound began to speed up. When the ball came back to Jimmy, it nearly went through his palm. The ball proceeded to throw itself, using Jimmy’s arm as a catapult. Back and forth, back and forth the ball went from Jimmy to the wall when boom! The ball knocked Jimmy back onto his behind. Jimmy giggled and gathered himself, taking a few deep breaths.
“We could use you in the majors!” Jimmy commented, rubbing his hand. The ticking had resumed to its normal pace.
“Whatcha got there, pipsqueak?” a husky voice inquired from behind. Jimmy jumped from the ground and attempted to run but he was grabbed by a large pair of hands. He looked up and Andy was holding him prisoner. Big Tony ripped the ball from Jimmy’s hands, the ball stopped glowing and the tick-ticking sound became slow and distant.
“Give it back. Please!” Jimmy demanded. Big Tony cackled and tossed the ball in the air a bit.
“Take it from me, spazz.” Big Tony challenged. Andy pushed Jimmy forward. He was a David among Goliaths. He reached for the ball and Tony shoved him away.
“Let me see it.” Andy requested. Tony threw him the ball; it soared over Jimmy’s head. He jumped up to grab it but failed. Andy caught the ball and chuckled. He chucked it to Sal. The three of them volleyed it between each other, always keeping it out of Jimmy’s reach. Jimmy bumped into Tony. Tony pushed him.
“Little pipsqueak, can’t do nothing about anything.” Tony mocked, teasing Jimmy with the ball in his face. Jimmy pushed Tony back, much to everyone’s, even his own, surprise. Tony’s face grew hot with anger and he grabbed Jimmy. Tony gripped Jimmy’s collar and brought his hand holding the ball back, preparing to slam it into Jimmy’s face.
“You want your ball back so bad?” Tony threatened; he was interrupted by the ball beginning to tick-tick-tick faster and louder. Tony released Jimmy. The ball glowed with a malicious crimson shine. “This blasted thing’s busted,”
“I don’t think it’s bust-“ Andy added but was interrupted when the ball exploded into a bright white light. Jimmy shielded his face and everything spun, the ticking ceased.
When the light faded, Jimmy relaxed and opened his eyes. He looked around. Big Tony, Andy and Sal were gone. Jimmy saw the ball at his feet, it was tick-tick-ticking away and glowing happily as if nothing had happened. Jimmy bent down and picked it up.
“You make one heck of a birthday present,” he revered.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6