New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

Jimmy and the Mysterious Ticking Ball

Author's note: This is a story adapted from a screenplay I wrote at the beginning of the school year.
Author's note: This is a story adapted from a screenplay I wrote at the beginning of the school year.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

Flashback to Fighter Pilots

“All right, son, are you ready? Got some kamikaze fire comin’ in, now!” Mr. Grimes questioned as he readied the airplane for flight. Jimmy backed up and held his small arms up in the air, prepared to catch the marvelous craft. His father smiled and tossed it gently. The wind pulled it towards Jimmy. Jimmy rocketed up from the ground and caught the plane. A grin painted his small face. He adjusted the plane to his tiny hands and he launched it back to his dad. The lanky man caught it effortlessly.
“Pa, did you see that? I was like a fighter pilot! Just like you!” Jimmy exclaimed. His father nodded and smiled, repressing the memories of what he had done with the planes he flew.
“I’m tossin’ it back now,” Mr. Grimes warned. Jimmy planted his feet on the ground and stared intently at the plane. It was immediately in flight with a slight flick of his father’s wrist. Jimmy sprung up to catch it again, but he fell short. The plane glided over his head and landed into a puddle. The plane was eaten away and submerged on contact.
“Aw shoot, that was the best plane ever.” Jimmy murmured, looking down at the wreck. “If only I were bigger,” Jimmy cursed. Mr. Grimes knelt down and put his hand on Jimmy’s shoulder and looked into his boy’s eyes.
“Hey now, you don’t have to be big to do great things. Besides, you will have plenty more birthdays, which means plenty of more planes. You never know, maybe you’ll get something even better next year.” He promised. Jimmy nodded his head and smirked. His father pulled him close for a hug.