Doomsday is a Near | Teen Ink

Doomsday is a Near

February 12, 2013
By Dominic8, Cedarburg, Wisconsin
More by this author
Dominic8, Cedarburg, Wisconsin
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

We have been sent back all the way to square one just like early civilization. We, for the time being, are living in a hut and having to hunt for our food. How did we ever get into this situation? My family had it all; we lived about 20 miles out of New York, my father owned the largest company in the entire United States, I went to the best private school there is, and yet we are here today. I had big dreams of taking over the company, but the economy collapsed, the government became too big and too strong, and the government believes that they have the right to control everything such as the Free Market, small and big companies, and pretty much everything the citizens have. This all happened because the government became 20 trillion dollars in debt, and they feel like they can take all the peoples’ money. Now my father’s company went bankrupt, along with all the other large companies and, for that matter, everyone went bankrupt.

You may think that I am a big nerd. I mean, I go to the best private school in the whole United States. My dad built the largest company on the Western Hemisphere, so you can assume he is a very bright guy (a.k.a. Nerd). You may think that, but I would say that I am your average teenager. I play soccer, basketball, and baseball. I am just like any teen, who likes to hang out with friends. I am a bit of a hot head and get upset at the little things. It may be a different sorta hanging out then some teens do because you could say I am filthy rich.





It’s just me, my papa, and my friend, Jacob, along with his family. Jacob and I have been best friends since we were like four years old. I have no mother; while the economy was crashing we were the target because we had the big house and we had all the supplies necessary to live. They came in groups too large with too many guns. We tried to get out, but it was too late for my mother. She didn’t get out quick enough, and she was the only one who died. It should have been me to die. I should have been the one to die on that day, not my mother. It was her birthday that day. She was only 47 years old, but we can’t grieve on the past, we need to move forward. The days are passing; more people are dying because when something unexpected happens, the people just start going crazy. If we don’t be careful we will all be next, but it’s not like we have anything, but people will just take a life because they are panicking and don’t know what is right or wrong, crazy or normal. They DO NOT know.



We don’t have much of a house, but it’s a shelter that will keep us safe from the outside world. We had to build this house because otherwise we were vulnerable. There are a few other houses built on the valley just 20 miles north of New York. We all have made a vow that we will stick together and let nothing come between us. We won’t turn our back on each other, and most definitely, we won’t kill each other. It’s is a bit of a risk to be living so close to others because we are a target to others, and we also don’t know each other very well; the reason is that we all evacuated north out of New York. In a sense, we all have something in common, but that doesn’t mean we can let our guard down.



The building of our house isn’t the only thing we need to survive. We have also made weapons just like the people in the Stone Age. So far, we have four javelins made out of flint and we have one gun that we kept from the evacuation. We are all trying to learn from my father how to make weapons and how to fend for ourselves in case we are in the wild and we get separated. We go out and practice just about every day and we have rigged the house with a few booby-traps. Overall, I don’t feel like there is anything going wrong. We have “town” meetings every week to decide how to progress our town and find better ways to live. So far, we have thought about making a town hall, a few restaurants, and a few other buildings just to give people work, but I don’t think many people will take the jobs because most people are trying to find ways to fend for themselves. The people that are living near us are very nice though, and I have become friends with most of the kids.

It has been a few months since we built our house. Since that time there have been about ten houses to go up and ten families to move in. We still had our weekly meetings and now they have allowed children to join into the meetings. They aren’t that enjoyable, but it’s hilarious to hear the ideas of some of the younger kids. I think there are secret meetings just between the parents, but those are probably much more sophisticated. I think this is a very selective meeting, and my father and Jacob’s father are both in this group. I have a feeling the “adult” meetings are about an attack to destroy the government and take over all their power; that might be a bit of a stretch because we don’t have the numbers, but they are probably towns like ours that are thinking the same thing. The only chance we could take over the government is to conjoin with other towns and take them down together.



Jacob and I both stay up late at night to listen to what was the “adult” meeting is about because they usually talk about it after they attend it. It is a bit difficult to hear them, but like I said before, I think they are planning on taking over the government and they are talking about what the kids will do and how we should attack this situation. I really don’t want to think about the fact of dying, but I will fight if I have to.




Looking on the brighter side, one thing that is excited is that we are currently building a town hall, a few restaurants/bakeries, and a trading place where people who have a surplus of supplies with one thing can trade with someone else. This place isn’t the worst way to live, but compared to the life I used to live, this place is a dump. I basically lived in a mansion and my house had a bowling alley and miniature water park. I just hope that one day all of this nonsense goes away and everyone can go back to their normal life, but that will never happen unless a miracle happens. The government has the entire army, they have all the weapons, all the power and control, but I would rather die trying to fight for what is right, than just watch them do whatever they want.

All the talk has finally been for real now; the town is going to join up with some other towns and we are going to make the treacherous travel to Washington D.C. We have made a few flint axes and javelin type weapons and we also have a few guns from hunters that lend them to us. It will take a miracle to take over the government, and the travel to Washington D.C. will be half the battle. We are prepared for sickness on the travel.


Today, we have a meet up with the four other towns that will be joining us on our journey. We have been talking about our strategies and how we will attack this situation. All of the members are in the meeting, even the kids. This is a different approach because before, in the little separate town meetings, the kids stayed away and played or something. Now, we all feel as one. We are in meetings together, we train together, and we eat together. We are turning into one. This is very necessary in order to even get a shot at taking down the government.

The people from the different towns are very similar to us. We have gotten along very well. They also have some good shots. We have done some training with shooting and conditioning and there have been some guys that have just dominated the courses. There was one big guy, who was in the army prior to this, and he had one of the best shots I have ever seen. He took a shot from 200 yards out and hit the bullseye right on the dot. We were running a few miles and he ran it in about six minutes and he seemed immune to it like he could run a marathon and not break a sweat. Now, me? I could barely run a mile without having to take a break and I still feel like I am one of the more “in-shape” people here. I guess some people have God given talents.

Today, we had a bit of an accident. We were taking shooting practice and I was in the zone. I felt like the bullseye kept getting bigger and bigger each and every time I took a shot. Every shot, I was going farther and farther out and I still was nailing the bullseye like it was nothing. I might be competing with that big dude that can shoot like, 800 yards, out beside the running part I feel like I’m up there with him. Anyways, I was taking my shot and I heard a loud yelp about four stations over. I didn’t know what it was, but I knew it couldn’t be good. Whenever we hear a loud scream when we are taking shooting practice, that can never be good. We all drop our guns and race over there. We got there and it did not look good at all. There was a man whimpering on the ground like a little baby, but he had a very good reason to. He fired a loaded gun and he didn’t even know it was loaded. He had his hand in the line of the bullet and it got him square in the hand. There was blood everywhere. It looked like the Hoover Dam exploded with blood. There was blood cascading down his hand, a pond of blood around him, and about 20 people huddled around him, rushing to get him some help.

Today is the day; we have a few thousand people to help us with this battle. I just hope that the guards are caught off guard and we come surprisingly. That might be the only way we have a chance to win the battle, but still we might not have a chance. If they know about our plans, we are going down and going down hard.





We have reached New York City, and the good news is that no one is sick or has died yet, but we have only gone 20 miles. On the other hand, New York is basically a ghost town. There are no skyscrapers anymore which makes the city look naked. This probably happened when everyone was evacuating; the city was going nuts. People were throwing bombs, people were shooting guns for no reason, and the cops were shooting back and everything. It just looks so sad to see just six months prior this city was hopping and now no one is anywhere near here.


We are finally here, Washington D.C. It took about four months to walk a few hundred miles. We also have lost about 30 people from sickness, and we also encountered a few government workers that were loaded with guns. Now, looking back at how people in the early times got sick and how they had to deal with adversity. It is just like how I interpreted what the live was like. It is quite sad to see us having to leave them, but we would still be in Maryland if we would have waited for all those people to die and bury them.



We have set up camp near the government headquarters, but not too close because otherwise we would be a deer in headlights. They would bomb us like it was World War II, and they could care less if we laid dead on the battlefield.

We have a plan to attack the situation, and we know the times when the guards switch positions and have their lunch and when they leave work. The plan is to sneak up on the guards and take them out with knives and then we will break into the building very quietly. Then we will make a lot of noise and they seem completely oblivious that we are even here. We are going to attack during the morning because it seems that is the time most of them are very tired.


We are on our way to kill and probably see some deaths. I am just hoping my mother is up there looking over me and I hope I don’t die. If I do I guess I will see her in heaven. But here goes nothing.



We sneak up on the guards and we take them down like it was a piece of cake, but the real challenge is upcoming. We broke into the building and we blew the place up and completely caught them off guard. They weren’t ready for us, but they got out their guns and started firing back. I saw around 500 people die in about 30 seconds. I had a grenade and blew this place up, but I probably killed more of our people then I did the “bad” guys, but that did it. We had about 100 people left, and that battle seemed very easy, too easy.

We got into all their paperwork and their plans. It was so sickening to see what the government has been up to for the past few months such as trying to find ways on borrowing money from other countries, but my worries are that once we borrow the money then eventually we will have to pay it back, and we are in so much debt that we wouldn’t even be able to pay back the countries that gave us the money. The way the government’s plans were looking, we would be going straight for a dystopian civilization because we would be living our lives on the government’s decisions and how they want us to live our lives. It really just makes me so glad that we won the battle, but I feel that it was too easy because it was just about one explosion and everyone was gone. I thought we would have been in a battle for hours and would have lost drastically.

It seems very strange. It boggles me on how easy it was to defeat the government. Then, we hear the door creak open slowly. The lights flashed on... and I hear my father yell for me. “Eric!”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.