The Crow

Author's note: I was inspired to write this piece from a book series that I had read.
Author's note: I was inspired to write this piece from a book series that I had read.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 Next »

Chapter 1

My dreams. The only peace that I've had recently. I never knew it would come to this. Why me? Why now? All I wanted was to live normal or as normally as possible. I just wanted to have a life. But no, all of this ruined it my genes ruined it. So as I lay in the meadow I think about when it all went wrong. When my normal life slipped away from me. Where it finishes I don’t know but when it began, I do. It was my 16th birthday.

Earlier that year...
Chapter 1

“Catherine! Hurry up; I have the best day planned for us!”
“I’m coming!” My name is Catherine and today I turn 16 at 2:00 PM exactly, do I want to? No. Because I know what comes with it. My father is an Immortal, unlike my mom who was a human, and so I am a mix breed between human and immortal. I am a Mix-Breed- one of the children of the Immortals. We all stop aging on our 16th birthday, and I in particular am loathing the thought of an immortal life; living forever and never knowing a normal life or having a normal family. As I jog over to where Lacey stands, I’m starting to regret coming here. It looks really packed. “Uh, so are we going in?” She just laughs at me and starts walking. Entering the Mall was like entering a big store with little stores inside with everything you will ever need from sports stuff to like face paint. Walking over to one of the clothes stores I see this guy. I’ve never seen him before but his appearance is startling. He has gorgeous dark black hair and these startling blue eyes that mesmerize you. Turning around and fixing to walk away I feel a hand on my shoulder
“Hey, do I know you?” It’s that guy!
“No, I don’t think so sorry you’ve got the wrong person.” He smiles at me and my stomach flutters.
“Well, I’m Dimitri Lucious and you are?”
“Uh Catherine Crow nice to meet you.” I shake his offered hand and am startled when my skin tingles in his grasp. Hiding the feeling, he smiled and asked
“I just moved here from Washington. I’m going to be attending Plainwell High school.”
“Wow! It must be such a change to move from Washington to little Virginia. Well we will be going to the same high school this year. So, I hope to see you around.”
Smiling I turned around and walked away before he could say anything.
“What was that about?” Lacey asked when I returned “Nothing, nothing at all.”

Lacey kept bothering me about that guy.
“I call dibs! Unless you like him of course because then I’ll have no chance next to the “Blonde Goddess.”
“You know I hate it when you refer to me like that.” I grumbled at her. She had called me such since the first day of 2nd grade when we met for the very first time.
“Hey blonde goddess! My names Lacey!”
“My name is not blonde goddess!” I started to sniffle and she apologized for it and on that day, we became best friends. After we went to Hollister and picked out some really cute clothes we started to leave when I saw that guy again. He was getting into a black car with tinted windows.
“He’s definitely a mysterious person.” I whisper to myself.
We were on our way home and I was listening to my music when we heard a thump and stopped the car.
“Oh I hope I didn’t hit anything!” She hops out of the car long brown hair flying out behind her. When she comes back she is relieved and told me she hadn’t hit anything it was just a big stick and we continued on. We got back to my house and after I got out of the car, she waved bye and left. I walked up and unlocked the door.
“My dad must still be at work” I say to myself. I walk up to my bedroom. It is very quiet upstairs and I go directly to my room, turn off the light, and lay down.

I wake up the next morning and crawl out of bed. I look down and see that I’m still in my clothes from the day before. I trip over the bar of my canopy bed and look around my big room. I grab some clothes and my radio, go to the bathroom, and get ready to take a shower.
When I step out of the shower, clean and refreshed, I get dressed in a light blue Hollister shirt and grey skinny jeans, dry my hair, and finish getting ready. I go downstairs and my dad and brother are already at the table.
“What took you so long sis you must have taken an hour long shower.” Smiling at me, I shook my head at him.
“Shut up Jeremy it wasn’t that long and you know it.” I say laughing.
“Hello Catherine how did you sleep?” I looked up at my father who was reading his morning paper.
“Fine you must have been gone for quite some time, how was work?” He shrugs his shoulders and continues to read his paper. I walked into the living room when RING! RING!
“Hello?” I answer.
“It’s me! So… About that guy what's his name?! Give me all the details!” Lacey exclaims.
“Uh there really isn’t any his names Dimitri and he’s going to our school this year.” I sigh at her.
“Oh my really? That’s fantastic. Oh he’s so h...”
“Don’t even say that.” I growl at her.
“Fine, but you have to admit he isn’t ugly!” She says smugly to me over the phone.
“But there’s something really strange about him I just don’t know what it is yet.” I say quietly.
“Whatever, anyways I have to go. My mom is coming home soon and she told me to wash the dishes before she got here so see you tomorrow first day of school remember?” She says.
“Yeah we are starting 10th grade I can’t wait! Anyways, bye.” I put the phone back on the ringer. Walking out of the living room I grab my coat, say goodbye to my brother, and go outside.

When I get to Lacey’s house she is outside so I didn’t have to knock on the door.
“Hey Lace.” I say, startling her.
“Oh hey Catherine! I didn’t know you were coming over. How did you sleep? Did you dream about Dimitri?” She winks at me.
I scowl at her.
“I swear it isn’t funny. And you seem to have an obsession with a boy you’ve never met, let alone talked to and, I don’t think that’s very healthy you know.”
“Shush you already knew I wasn’t right but you still stick with me. Is it because you love me? It is isn’t it?” She makes a kissy face at me and we both laugh getting rid of any seriousness that had been in the room. When we finally compose ourselves, she invites me inside. Although I’ve been here tons of times, it still amazes me of how elegant it looks, my house is bigger than hers by 2 floors mine is five and hers is only 3 but it looks much nicer in hers. Long spiral staircases and beautiful trimmings. Portraits and paintings hung all over, velvet couches. It’s all so amazing I can’t help but admire it every time I come over.
“Hurry up! You can’t stand around all day we have stuff to do.” She laughs. We head to the 3rd floor bedroom which belongs in every way, to her. It’s the only non-elegant thing in that house. The walls are bright pink with posters of boy bands and fashion designers. She has a huge walk in closet just like mine but hers has pink fur flooring and wall coverings. She had clothes and shoes as far as the eye could see, we both did we were known for it really.
“Hey come over here I found some info on that guy.” I scowl disappointed at her for looking him up. I walk out of her closet and sit down beside her watching her fiddle with her iPad 2.
“See? Here look at this!” She handed me the iPad and I look at the screen. She wasn’t lying, it is him.
“So he went to Kentwood High School in Washington and lives with his dad. Has no siblings and no info on his mom here. I wonder what happened.” She says curiously.
“Well, let’s keep going shall we?”
“Ok well it says here that he’s moved a LOT. Rome, Paris, Germany, and like half of America! And I’m not even done yet. Jeez his father must be really rich to move around that much. Anyways, oh he has a Facebook! Hmm he also has a Twitter account and a YouTube account. I’m sorry but I can’t do this anymore, I feel way to much like a stalker.” She throws her head back.
We both start to giggle because we were being stalkers.
“Well... Oh My God! I forgot! We had a homework booklet over the summer I didn’t even start mine!” She says.
“Well then, you're in luck I conveniently did mine, and I even brought it with me.” I laugh at her.

Chapters:   1 2 Next »