(incomplete) The Knowing | Teen Ink

(incomplete) The Knowing

January 17, 2013
By 4everSilent BRONZE, Rochester Hills, Michigan
More by this author
4everSilent BRONZE, Rochester Hills, Michigan
2 articles 1 photo 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Most maidens are perfectly capable of rescuing themselves in my experience, at least the ones worth something, in any case.”
― Erin Morgenstern


Author's note: This is just a "tester" to see if the story will develop enough to continue it, and if people enjoy it enough. I wrote the first couple chapters so please comment with any ideas or critique, also the story is also posted on www.Wattpad.com and I hope to continue it. Thanks!

In the blackest of black midnights, with the trees barely swaying in the distant breeze, a single woman danced and weaved between the tall trees and darting shadows of the forest. The women wore a black cloak that echoed the night, and hung to the forest floor with a hood pulled down, concealing her oval face of pale skin, as she moved her cloak splayed around her hiding a dress of dark blue, and the color of the night sky on clear night. As she moved, nimble on her feet, she followed a light of pulsing blue: almost like a star that had fallen out of time and space searching for its’ place in the galaxy. The light darted and moved, and the women danced alongside it, together they moved as shadows running from fate itself.
Occasionally, the women would stop for a mere moment and glance behind her searching in vain, through the night to see if she was being pursued. As the trees swallowed the woman as she ran deeper and deeper into the forest the light started to fade from the blue to a crimson red. It grew brighter and brighter, darkening in color and twisting into a more intense sphere, until it had encompassed every shade of red, from the romantic rose to the dark color of death. It spun and changed and grew to, in a blink of an eye, it vanished.
The women did not stop or falter, instead she gazed calmly, with piercing green eyes, at it and then she too disappeared into the night.

The clashing of dishes and clinking of glasses echoed throughout a modest house. With its round door of Oak painted a dark green and the walls a light, cheerful yellow the mood of the house reflected that of those inside. With a young boy with a head of deep brown hair, the color of rich chocolate that feel in waves across his head, and a young girl with the same shade of dark hair, yet was smaller in stature than the boy. Brother and sister, twins in fact, the most prominent feature the two shared was their bright, piercing green eyes, which contradicted there pale alabaster skin. Though they were both young in age, almost 13, their eyes had the ancient look of knowledge and experience in them. The boy’s name was Cole and the girl’s Gailyyne or Gaiyli for short; both had been trying to master the chore of dishes in the washbowl, without breaking every glass in the house.
“Hurry up Cole, we need to finish this quicker” exclaimed Gaiyli. Only standing at a mere 5’3 she glared up at her brother.
“I’m trying, and besides we’re almost done” quipped Cole, he had always been the calmer of the pair. He was the thinker, the patient one always trying to soothe others and analyzed his situation and the people around him. She was rash and hotheaded, but when she committed she followed her heart and never backed down. They always joked that their personality traits were opposite and that only together did they balance each other out.
“There! All finished… I guess we better find mother?” questioned Cole, even he was nervous for the ceremony that would take place tomorrow. Tomorrow would change their lives and he had never been more nervous in his life.
The twins were going to turn thirteen tomorrow: the day of their Knowing. On the day of their thirteenth birthday every child experiences their Knowing. At the exact day of their birth, down to the minute, a tattoo of black symbols wrought in ancient writing appears on the forearm. Appearing a charcoal black, the permanent marks make up two distinct words; each tattoo differs for no individual is the same. Some tattoos lead to an occupation such as a performer or teacher, others point to the person that some would name “true love” and others lead to a person’s fate, or foreshadow a life altering event. Even if the tattoo only symbolizes a career the markings are usually vague and unclear and up to each individual to uncover the truth for themselves. So, at the age of 17 the individual will set off again in search of his or her meaning.
But 17 was a long enough away time for Cole, he had no interest to leaving home and go searching for his meaning. Some would arrive back within days while others wandered for years until finally understanding their marking. He just wanted to know how it would feel to have words appear from the very depth of his soul onto his flesh. His mother believed that the tattoos are a message from the other side, the afterlife, as a warning and desire from loved one to loved one. But, no matter whom he asked or who his sister begged no one would tell them how it felt to be enlightened at their Knowing.
“Good idea, maybe we can help set up. Besides, you know mother will be in a frenzy, hashing about the house and yard to get everything ready for the feast,” agreed Gaiyli snapping Cole out of his thoughts.
And together the two quickly finished drying the last plate and set off to the garden, adjacent to the house.
Stepping out into the bright sunlight made the twins squint into the bright light and headed over to their mother, dutifully working on harvesting a number of vegetables all without dirtying her gown. She glanced up and saw the children and smiled. The smile tilted the corners of her lips to show signs of a small dimple on the left and caused small creases by the corners of her eye to lighten. Her dark brown hair was streaked with a sparkling of grays and whites and yet her eyes were as bright green and magnificent as her children’s. As they came closer she began to get a better look at them, her son tall and yet still growing in his trousers and a light white shirt, and her daughter lean and thin revolting against any type of gown, must have taken a pair of her brother’s too-small trousers and paired them with a light cream blouse of her own.
“Mother we finished the cleaning, do you need any more help?” asked Gaiyli. Looking anxious and excited for tonight kept shifting from one foot to another in an impatient habit.
“Hmmm… my loves, let me think. I don’t suppose you two want to continue cleaning or helping me garden. Heaven forbid that you knew how to garden or the difference from this here vegetable to the next,” teased their mother.
“We could go to town...” hedged Gaiyli, sneaking a sly glance to Cole. “We could pick up anything you need from the market”
“Yes! We could get that loaf of bread you wanted from the baker” Cole responded catching on quickly to his sister’s plan to escape the endless number of chores.
“Now could you now?” mother said, quickly catching on, yet amused by her children. “Only because tomorrow is a special day, I guess you two can go. But I expect you back before the sun goes down and if you,” staring pointedly at her daughter, “change into a decent gown, you’re almost of age” chided their mother.
“Very well, mother” said Gaiyli quickly relinquishing, knowing that the restraints of a gown were nothing compared to that of cleaning for the rest of the day.
Quickly bounding back into the house Gaiyli made her way to her room and pulled out the first gown she could find from her trunk: a pale grey, with sleeves that opened and flowed down from the elbow all the way to her wrist in a cream lace. She shrugged, this would have to do, town wasn’t far and she’d try not to get this one too dusty. Quickly changing she bounded back down to her waiting brother they hurried down the road, taking the short walk to town.

Briskly walking into between the cool trees of the dirt road the twins headed into town. The shade, from the trees lining the path on both sides leaned in such a way they practically formed a tunnel, hiding the twins from the hot glowing sun, growing hotter and hotter as the day wore on. Small changing flies dotted the edge of the path, so named because they changed their color switching from bright yellows to clear, deep blues. A stray number of wild flowers and tall grasses emerged on the sides of the path growing closer and closer to the trees. The trees themselves were large and full of knots and twisted limbs, they were old and had many memories, those of which could be heard on a midnight’s eve on the night of the full moon- for everyone knows trees contain not only knowledge and wisdom but often give advice that leads to good fortune. Though the closer the trees were to town, the fewer words they whispered to the wind.
“…What do you think it’ll be like” questioned Gaiyli.
“I don’t know. It can’t be that bad, right? Considering that everyone goes through it, the words will appear and the Knowing will come to an end” responded her brother.
“You’re right. It’s just a Knowing”
“Yes, and as long as it’s black...”
“You don’t honestly believe those tale do you Cole”
“Of course not, but what if it’s the truth? The red mark could appear,” teased Cole sneaking playful looks at his sister.
The stories, usually used to get young, naughty children to bed, threatened of a cursed Knowing. Where the black tattoo appeared in a dark crimson red, the color of demons and curses, when the red color of blood appears on the arm the curse comes to life. The red leads to magic. Magic that never is mentioned that once tore apart the unified kingdom and led to a powerful corrupted dictator. The dictator took over the kingdom using magic. Magic is power and power corrupts. The kingdom fell apart and chaos in sued, until an elite force killed the dictator and peace was restored. Now, if a child is born with a red tattoo the child vanishes. However, the last child heard having a red mark was hundreds of years ago and the story is just that, a story.
“It’s just a story” echoed his sister to Cole’s own thoughts. And he agreed, the Knowing would be fine, they would discover their destiny, or at least part of it.

They had reached the edge of the town and their conversation came to a quick close, and they encompassed themselves into the cheerful and social mood of the town square.
Looking into the windows of fabulously decorated cakes and walking past the vendors located around the streets selling books and clothing, ribbons and chalks. They slowly headed over to the bakery to pick up the freshest loaf of bread for their feast.
As they passed each vendor they took turns touching the soft leather from one stall to wandering over to the very end stall. Draped in black cloth to form an enclosure the planks had a numerous number of tattered, colored ribbons hanging and blowing in the wind. Wishing Ribbons they were called, often hung to mock a practice that was once thought of as noble, a practice that still had the last whispers of magic. The ribbons were hung by passing villagers, often laughing and saying they “wished” the vendor good fortune, for everyone knows magic brings trouble.
As the twins passed the stall they couldn’t help feeling mesmerized by the waving and fluttering ribbons. Gaiyli reached out brushed a ribbon with her finger, a deep gold color with streaks of crimson running through it. She felt a pull, deep within her being, beckoning her to enter. She looked up and noticed her brother also staring at the stall, though he stared he did seemed to be looking through it and her. What harm could it do to enter the stall, she questioned to herself? She felt a dire need to go in to that stall, and she knew that if she tried to pass it she would fail. She needed to enter, to go in to the stall that beckoned her. And with her head held high with determination she took a stride in past the flowing black cloth doors.
“Wait, Gaiyli! Where are you going?” exclaimed Cole, shocked and surprised. But the moment had passed too soon, and his sister had already been swallowed up by the swinging black cloth. Taking a deep breath, he knew he could not leave her and besides he had to admit to a fair amount of curiosity himself, he followed his sister.
Everything turned dim and black as his face got caught up in the dark heavy material that covered the doorway; and in the dimmest of light, where shadows move like thieves in the night, he could see the outline of his sister and that of another. He traced the lines of the unknown person, hunched back with a hooded cloak as to better conceal his/her identity. Better to not risk identification for practicing a magical art, even if the practice involves more art of acting than of magic. As his eyes became better accustomed to the light, he realized that the unknown figure was a self-proclaimed fortune teller, or soothe sayer, with cards and a bowl of mystics siting on a table, guarded by a flickering candle. He had heard of many a people that had gone to fortune tellers, often as a way to find entertainment when the bar had closed or when one had enough in life to worry about what they had, or didn’t have yet. His mother always said that fortune tellers were a waste of time, for destiny is always changing and fortune, neither good nor bad, is ever set in stone.
“Twins I see…” mumbled the figure in the center of the room and neither brother nor sister could not determine if the spoken voice was male or female. It had the ring of calm confidence, and aged serenity. Exchanging swift glances at each other, they stepped closer to a flickering flame in the center of the room.
The face of the fortune teller was aged, the skin piled into sagged heaps of discolored browns and pale whites. Though the skin on the face, and the face itself sunk into to its self, the bone structure and eyes did not have the aged sullenness. The eyes, though covered in a dim glassy coat, still deemed with bright intelligence and a tinkling of wit. Beneath the aged face and the crooked body, high cheek bones and an old forbidden pride was hidden away, into the body of an elderly women only distinguished by the dusty tattered gown she wore, hidden beneath her cloak.
“Come forward and we can reveal the hopes dreamt, and the power that holds you both, and what power each of you hold,” beckoned the women.
With a wave of her hand she gestured to the children who were staring with caution at the women, who in the deep and darkest part of their minds, wondered if she was just a figment of their imagination. Perhaps she was, but then if that is the case, then she of all people should be able to unlock their own desires.
Staring, rather rudely, at the aged women who stood in front of her Gaiyli felt compelled to take the first step and discover the meaning of her future. Besides she thought, trying to reason with her ever growing fear and doubt, nothing bad could possibly happen for magic is a mere myth and the passion of insanity. With a deep breath that filled her entire body, she stepped forward with an air of uncaring and overconfidence into the ever growing and flickering light of the melting candle.
“I am ready,” Gaiyli said in an ever-confident tone. “If you see the future than I ought to discover mine.”
The old women nodded and held out a withered hand, offering to read the girls palm. Gaiyli, delayed for only a mere moment before quickly placing her hand into the one offered.
“You have power that beseeches you, my dear. A fate that ties all fates from those that have left this world, and those that have yet to come. You will bare a heavy burden and sacrifice that which should not be sacrificed.” She mumbled the words as she traced a crease in the young girl’s hand from the tip of her finger to the bottom of her wrist.
Gaiyli stepped back and did not say a word. She was not one to believe in nonsense nor was she one to react in a closed minded stubbornness. Now, she did not believe in magic or any of its concepts or followers but if the words of the fortune teller rang true than perhaps she should heed life with a tad more caution. She glanced from the line on her hand that had somehow appeared significantly less prominent then it did in the light. She examined the crease, crooked and shaped in a path that ran directly down the middle of her hand. How her fate could be imprinted onto one line, onto one limb of her body, she did not understand. Nevertheless, she glanced from her hand back towards the light and her brother’s outline that slowly approached the fortune teller.
Cole glanced towards his sister retreating back; he wondered what she was told. For the moment her hand was in the old woman’s he could no longer hear anything except his own heavy breathing and heart beating. He stepped forward and took his sister’s place and held out his hand and looked into the fortune teller’s expecting eyes.
She slowly turned his hand over and examined his palm for a moment or so.
“Your path has not been as planned as your sister’s. You ride in the balance of what is and what can be. Torn between what needs to be done and what you expect should be done. Tilting from one side to the other will lead only to betrayal and pain, choose your path wisely…” she had continually glanced from the palm in her hand to the boy’s face looking solemnly and sadly.
Unlike his sister, Cole did not step back with an air of calm and ponder but looked from the fortune tellers face and then over his shoulder to his sister.
“We should not be here, Mother is expecting us back,” he glanced back to the fortune teller. “Thank you for your services,” and with a slight head nod and a placing of a copper coin next to the flickering candle he beckoned his sister out in front of him. As the cloth closed behind them the slight rush of air blew the candle out, leaving the fortune teller staring at them sadly in the darkness of her empty stall.
The twins squinted into the sunlight and the easy bustle of the town and those around them. Gaiyli glanced at her brother. She couldn’t understand why he had gotten upset in the stall during his reading. The stall did not offer any scholarly or proven notions and the old woman was probably losing her mind. Her brother was the last person in the world to ever believe such silly talk that magic was truth. She looked up in concern at him and offered her hand; he glanced down, and squeezed her upturn hand before dropping it and briskly setting off towards the baker. Shrugging, she followed.
They rounded the corner of the town where the bakery was located and entered through the wide oak doors besides the glass display of freshly cooked loafs and cakes. As they entered they were embraced with the warm smell of freshly cooked breads, the natural and doughy scent accented by the flour still powdered in the air.
Reaching towards a loaf of white bread was a golden brown on top and still speckled with random dots of flour on the bottom he weighed the bread appreciably in his hand. Cole with the loaf in one hand and a couple of coins in the other, walked over to the counter to buy the bread. With his footstep echoing and tapping on the solid oak floors he reached the counter and placed the bread in the baker’s hands. The baker appraised him for a moment and then placed the bread on a small sheet of paper.
“Ah, Cole, how’s your mother? I heard you and your sister are reaching your Knowing tomorrow. I bid you the best of luck,” said the baker conversationally.
“She is quite fine” responded Cole agreeably. “Yes, my sister and I are looking forward to the coming of age.” Speaking of his sister he looked behind him to find her, and was surprised not to see her familiar figure. Quickly thanking the baker and paying him the respected amount of coins Cole exited the shop.
Looking about and feel exasperated towards Gaiyli, and her annoying habit of wandering off and getting distracted, Cole went in search for her. Glancing about he went back around the corner of the road and instantly spied his sisters dark hair and small build; she was talking to a man that he did not recognized.

As her brother entered the bakery she stepped forward to follow when all of a sudden she heard her name being called.
“Gailyyne!” called an unknown, yet eerily familiar voice. Turning slowly to face the voice Gaiyli turned her back on the bakery and saw a young man, perhaps 15 or 16 years of age, with light blond hair, a lean build, and light brown eyes.
“Excuse me Sir, but I don’t think we’ve ever met. Perhaps you have me confused with another,” questioned Gaiyli. The young man smiled easily, his lips turning up into playfully with eyes that lit up excitedly.
“Now don’t you tell me you’ve forgotten who I am. Don’t you remember me? It’s Lyon, you’re old neighbor. We moved away 5 years ago but just recently moved back, in time for your Knowing, if the rumors are correct,” explained Lyon.
Shocked, Gaiyli gasped aloud and burst into laughs and joyous grins. “I can’t believe it’s really you! How wonderful to see you,” exclaimed Gaiyli. Leaning closer she gave him a quick hug and begged him to tell her of the past 5 years when he was gone.
Leading him to a stone bench hidden under the comforting shade of a towering maple tree he began to tell her of the years when he was gone. He told her that his mother and father were healthy and well and that he had a younger sister now, she was 5 and her name is FFFFFF. He told her of his new horse that he bought a few years ago, a beautiful black Morgan mare that he had trained since it was a foal. Gaiyli could After a many moments and hearing of many adventures and fabulous stories she heard her name again, except this time she did not need to turn around to identify it.
“Cole, come here,” respond Gaiyli, she couldn’t wait until Cole recognized Lyon as well, he’s was going to be delighted.
Cole approached at the calling of his sister, yet kept his eyes on the blond boy a few years older than themselves. Though he looked familiar and his sister was easily sitting next to him, practically glowing, he still stood on the side of cautious. Once he reached his sister she grabbed his hand excitedly and began to tell him how their old neighbor Lyon and his family had moved back to their old home and how she invited him to attend their Knowing celebration tomorrow. Talking in rapid sentences and practically vibrating with excitement it was hard for Cole to understand his sister for a couple of moments. Though putting together the few words he managed to make out, and the occasional comments from the boy next to him he discovered the unknown boy was their old friend Lyon.
He smiled at the memories of when he and his sister tagged along after Lyon when they were younger, them at age 8 while Lyon was 10. Cole happily agreed to inform his mother about the arrival of Lyon and his family. After many stories were passed around between the three of them, and the fortune teller completely forgotten, the three decided to walk to their houses together for dusk was almost upon them.
Quickly heading out of town and back through the forest covered road the journey went fairly quick for it was filled with playful banter and the easy friendship that was quickly rekindled. They parted at the fork in the road that split the paths of their home and the returned home of Lyon and his family. Promising to see them tomorrow and wishing them a successful Knowing in advance Lyon disappeared in the glowing set of the sun.
The twins continued the quarter mile up to their house happily going over the day’s events and looking forward to tomorrow. As they approached their house they saw a gentle glow from the fire coming out of their house framed in oranges and pinks from the setting sun. They entered the house and were greeted by the warmth of the stove and the smells of cooked vegetables with a broth mixed with the delicate scents of thyme and basil. After talking briefly to their mother they went to their separate rooms to freshen up for dinner, and met in the dining room to eat.
Through mouthfuls of food they explained to her about their day, though conveniently skipping the fortune teller knowing she wouldn’t approve, but putting much emphasis on the meeting up with Lyon. Though she seemed distracted, their mother smiled and nodded at the right times in the conversation and commented on certain aspects. She was pleased that Lyon and his family had moved back and was excited to see them tomorrow. When she stood to gather the plates around the table she accidently knocked a cup on the floor. Both twins looked up in shock at the thud of the cup smacking the floor, their mother never dropped things she was the epitome of grace and steady movement.
“Mother…? Is everything all right? Are you feeling ill?” questioned Gaiyli.
Their mother looked at her lovely twins, stared right into the very depths of their souls. Snapping back to the present their mother shook a head, the brisk head shake when one wants to forget.
“No, no,” mother brushed the twins concern away. With a quick smile and a wipe of her hands on her light pink, floral apron she shooed the two off to bed with gentle threats of a long and exciting day tomorrow.

The author's comments:
Hardly started this chapter. Comment if you think it's worth finishing the novel. Im still looking for direction. Thanks!

The peaking sun leaked its’ light pinks and hues of red between the floor length curtains into Gaiyli’s room. Blinking into the shine of light that formed a line right across her face, Gaiyli raised an arm and swept her sleep-messed hair out of her face. She moved slowly out of bed, washed her face, braided her untamed hair, and slipped on a simple gown and apron.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


on Jan. 23 2013 at 5:50 pm
spirit_eyes GOLD, McKeesport, Pennsylvania
15 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
Death is nothing to us, since when we are, death has not come, and when death has come, we are not. - Epicurus

I think that the idea behind the story is really cool and it has the potential to be an awesome book, if you decide to finish it that is.