Bits and Pieces | Teen Ink

Bits and Pieces

January 13, 2013
By Im_Simply_Me BRONZE, San Jacinto, California
More by this author
Im_Simply_Me BRONZE, San Jacinto, California
4 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
\"Out of all the bad things that could have possibly happened, this is the WORST possible thing!\" - Rarity (My Little Pony)
\"Words whispered through prison bars loose their charm.\" Elizabeth Swan (Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End)


Author's note: This piece came to me when I found out that my grandmother is sick. If you guys have any suggestions,

The author's comments:
This is only the first chapter. If it sucks, then i'm sorry. If it doesn't, then... YAY!!

Her room was different; it was cold. Her room was never cold. It felt empty. She was always welcoming and kind.
Her bed felt rock hard and unused. I’m still pretty sure she sleeps in it every day until after noon. Rinka always slept in. Except on school days. She was the one who woke everyone else up at four in the morning. That’s why it was so difficult to believe that she killed herself. That she ripped herself out of the promising life she was going to have, out of the privileged life she had.
Rinka was never anyone I thought was at risk for suicide. She was the happiest person I know – knew. And I had a hard time letting my best friend go, sitting on her bed, looking at the pictures of Lyrica, Rinka and myself. I had a hard time believing that she was really, truly gone. That we’d never get her back – never get the chance.
But Rinka had left something for us – for me. A diary entry. Everything else in her diary had been marked out – one clean, solid line through every word, every sentence. It was easy to read through, but there was something very final about the way she wrote the last entry, the way it didn’t have any stray marks or words.
Nothing.
Nothing except the plain, hard Rinka truth.

June 4, 2009
How could something like this ever happen to a normal girl like me? I hadn’t done anything out of the ordinary – right or wrong – and yet, when I woke up from the coma I was in, I had awful, heart-stopping nightmares that no one else could even dream of having. But why me? Why did He have to choose me? Why not the other driver in the crash?
These new night-time visitors made me miserable; I was tired, sullen and confrontational. I was lonely because of it.
But that’s okay now. I’ve come to a decision; I’m going to end it. All of it. There’s really only one way, and I know everyone will hate me for it, but I don’t care anymore. It’s what I want for myself. I can’t keep hurting the ones that love me, the ones that I love with all of my breaking heart. I can’t keep living in fear that what happened to me the first time will happen again.
There are no more options.
So, here’s to everyone:
Tammie - Mom. Chris –- Dad. My best friends Hadley and Lyrica. Johnny. Tabitha. Becca. Janie. Allisa. The entire school of Temecula Valley High. Grams and Papa Harper. Nana and Grandpa Tomlinson. And finally… Me.
It doesn’t matter that I’m gone now. It doesn’t matter how much people wish I had talked to them about my fears.
It doesn’t matter that I might regret it up here with the Big Guy in the sky.
All that matters is that I’m finally going to be happy again. I’ll be myself again.
I’ll be better. All of you will be sad. Everyone that I mentioned, and probably more, will be heartbroken, shattered, torn bit by bit, breath by breath, and piece by jagged piece.
But you have to remember.
I have finally escaped...
Rinka Lauren Harper

I had to believe that Rinka had our feelings in mind, that her intentions were not to hurt us, but to help us. Let us know that she wouldn’t be unhappy anymore.
But it was hard to keep believing that when I hurt so much. When I wanted to join Rinka in her new-found safe haven. When I wanted so much to just shut down, curl up on her bed, fall asleep and never wake up. I wanted all of this so bad that I hadn’t even seen, heard or felt anyone enter the room until someone was rubbing my back slowly, hesitantly. I looked out of the corner of my eye and saw Don, Rinka’s older brother. Lyrica and I had been crushing on him for years.
“You okay, Hadley?” I heard him ask, his voice – usually so alive and warm, just like Rinka’s was – cold and dead. Just like Rinka, now. They were so alike. I nodded, but didn’t move otherwise. A knock on the door. “Come in.” Don said, his hand pausing on the small of my back.
“Funeral’s about to start.” Rinka’s mother, Tammie. Rinka always called her parents by their first names.
I stand, making Don’s hand slide down, brushing my bottom. He stands, puts his arm protectively around my shoulders, and guides me soundlessly to the back yard, where everyone from school, church, book club and everyone else that Rinka had met were gathered, sitting in plastic folding chairs that looked uncomfortable, or standing.
Rinka would have hated this, simply for the fact that they weren’t playing her favorite music, and everyone was dressed in dark forlorn colors. She would have wanted everyone to wear tutus, crazy shirts with their names in funky colors written in blow paint on the front and back, so she wouldn’t forget them. She would have wanted them to be playing a cheesy song like Pop goes the Weasel, or Barney’s theme song. Rinka was weird and cool like that. She wouldn’t have cared that people were weirded out. She was always in it for the fun.
This wouldn’t have made Rinka happy. For that simple fact, I already hated everyone here, with the exceptions of Lyrica, Don, Tammie, Chris and Sasha, Rinka’s huge white Siberian husky. “Hadley, you don’t have to be here if it hurts too much.” Don said, leaning his face close to mine, his hands cradling my cheeks, his thumb running smoothly over my skin.
I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, smelled him – earthy and rich – and shook my head. “Rinka would hate me if I didn’t stay.” I opened my eyes and looked into his – fathomlessly brown, warm and worried. He’d always been worried about me. Never failed to find something about me he shouldn’t worry about. I was like a little sister. I hated that.
After a moment of silence, he nodded and hugged me close, wrapping his arms around me gently, lovingly. “You’re right.”
“Miss Foxx,” I heard someone mutter apologetically behind me. I turned, out of Don’s warm embrace, to face this person. He was about eighteen, maybe seventeen, black hair brushing his eyebrows, soft blue eyes and tan skin.
“Yeah?” I returned.
“Can I speak to you for a moment, please?” He looked at Don, then back at me. “In private?”
I looked back at Don, who nodded, and followed this boy to the front lawn, where no one but us was loitering. “I’m sorry to intrude, Miss Foxx, but I have information on your parent’s disappearance.” This boy took me in with his eyes.
“Yes. What did you find?” I clasped my hands in front of me, looking intently at him.
“We found them in Florida.” I felt the happiness well up inside me, threatening to make me burst into tears. “You’re parents are no longer with us, Miss Foxx.” And just like that, the happiness turned into shock and fear.
“What… what do you mean, sir?” My voice shook as I struggled to keep my emotions at bay in front of this stranger.
He hesitated and was silent for a minute or so before he finally said, “Miss Foxx, I’m… I’m afraid that you’re parents are deceased.”

The author's comments:
Here's chapter two guys!!!

Hadley Foxx
First my best friend, and now my parents? I couldn’t understand what I’d done to deserve such a great amount of loss and heartbreak. My life was such a mess right now that I didn’t even know if I could handle it or not. “I’m sorry to be the one to tell you, Miss Foxx.”
“Who are you anyway?” The venom in my tone was unneeded and unintended.
He was obviously caught of guard, but replied, “I’m Axel Wilder.”
“Why were you the one to tell me of my parents death and not Detective Andrew?”
“Because he’s in the hospital in critical condition.” His answer stuns me. Critical condition? What does that even mean? “He asked me to personally tell you. He also wanted me to keep a watchful eye one you, make sure the same people who took your parents don’t take you, too.”
“I don’t need a babysitter.” I spit. The anger stage. The school psychologist said that this was a stage of depression. It was a common thing, especially after losing someone important to you. Well, Dr. Barnes, I just lost three.
“Miss Foxx, I don’t doubt that for a second, but Detective Andrew is worried about you. He wants you to be my top priority, so now you are. I apologize for the inconvenience.”
“Apologize all you want, but it won’t change anything. You can’t bring my parents or Rinka back. You can’t make it better Axel Wilder.” I turn to go.
“I’ve already enrolled into your school. I’ve requested the same schedule as you, and I have just received a confirmation letter. I will be with you twenty-four seven. I have clearance with the high school, the local police and Detective Andrew to keep you with me at my apartment.” I stop, turn.
“I’m not staying with you. I’m staying at my own house where all of my things are, where my family is.”
“Miss Foxx, we’ve already had all of your things transported to the apartment complex we’ll be sharing. It’s already been decided.”
“Are you telling me that I can’t make decisions in my own life?” I look at him in disbelief. “You’re unbelievable.” I say incredulously, a breathy laugh escaping my trembling lips.
“I will be your escort until the police have found the people who killed your parents.” He continues, leading me into the backyard where everyone is seated and the minister is speaking. There are two empty spots; one in the very back, and one next to Don at the front. I walk to Don quietly, thankful that I don’t have to sit next to Axel. What kind of name is that anyway? I sit down, Don looks at me and smiles. He takes my hand in his, kisses my knuckles gently, then just sits and watches the minister speak all of his nonsense words.

I sat in my new room, in my new apartment, watching new people come to the door and give things to Axel. The apartment is only a five minute walk to my old home, so everyone already knows me. They’re sorry, sad, regretful. They knew Rinka, too. Everyone loved Rinka.
I loved Rinka. I loved her brown hair and hazel-green eyes and light skin. I loved her outgoing, funny, amazing personality. I loved everything about Rinka. If I weren’t straight, I’d have dated her. That’s how much I loved Rinka. We were like sisters – joined at the hip and shoulder. Where she went, I went, and vice-versa. We were never separated for long, and when we were, we were on the phone, talking and laughing and being us.
Nobody understood Rinka like I did, and nobody understood me like she did. Only Lyrica. We would have three-way conversations at one in the morning, and stay up until we had to get ready for school.
Lyrica had been my best friend since I moved here to Temecula. Then Rinka came, and it was immediate. The three of us were meant to be best friends from day one. We were the three musketeers, with Rinka as the leader. She was never conceited though. That’s another reason why I loved Rinka – she was the sweetest person on earth. Everyone liked her, and she adored everyone else. She wouldn’t have been able to look you in the eye and even think about lying.
That’s why it hurt so much to think that she could have told me or Lyrica what was wrong. She could have told anyone what she was feeling. But she didn’t. She didn’t even tell me. She hadn’t said anything to Don or her parents, and she was close with all of them.
She would never be able to tell us now. To fix our broken hearts. But she knew we’d be able to do it ourselves. She had rubbed off on all of us. That was Rinka for you.
I didn’t notice again when someone entered the room until I heard the bed creak. I turned my head to see Axel sitting on the edge of the bed, looking intently at me. “Can I help you?” I muttered, looking back at him into those incredibly blue eyes.
“Yes. You can help me unpack your things.” He stood and walked over to me, his eyes soft and sweet. It was too easy to fall into his eyes. “I want you to be comfortable, Miss Foxx.” Why did he keep calling me that? I wasn’t any older than he was.
“It’s just Hadley.” He nodded. “How old are you anyway?”
“Seventeen.” I blinked. He was only a year older than me. “Why do you ask?”
“I just think that it’s strange for someone so young to be working as a cop.”
“I’m an undercover agent with a group known as Bishop. We’re specially trained to deal with situations like yours.” I tilted my head.
“Like mine?”
"Yes. Exaactly like yours."

The author's comments:
Axel Wilder... second guessing himself...? UNHEARD OF!

Axel Wilder
How could someone like her ever understand how much trouble I was going through just to make sure she was safe, let alone happy? That last part I didn’t care so much about; she was just another case. Another sad girl with a now sad life because her parents had made sad, hard choices growing up and made the wrong enemies. Dangerous enemies. But, that couldn’t be helped, but Hadley could be.
Her life could be turned around for the better after all the crap she’s been through; first her parents’ disappearances, then the death of her best friend, and finally, the cherry on the sundae, the finding of her parent’s dead bodies. What a rough life. Even worse than mine growing up, and I deserved all of that because I was a child who tormented his parents.
But Hadley Foxx certainly didn’t deserve it – a life so cruel, so punishing, should never belong to a girl like Hadley.
But, hey, who am I to judge?

“I’m not leaving.” Hadley said, pushing the cereal around in her bowl. It was probably soggy now, though it didn’t look like she cared much.
“Hadley, I can’t home-school you. It isn’t my place.”
She busts up laughing. “Your place?! It wasn’t your place to take me from my home, it wasn’t your place to tell me about my parents, and it sure as freaking hell isn’t your place to tell me to go to school or not.” She’s still chuckling when the doorbell rings. I sigh. It’s been a long week with her; she’s done nothing but hide in her room and listen to her iPod. Or argue till the break of dawn with me.
When I answer the door, it’s Detective Andrew standing there. “Andrew! Aren’t you supposed to be – ”
“In the hospital, yes. But I had to come and see Hadley. She’s had a tough six months, what with the disappearance and recent death of her parents along with her best friend, I think the girl needs someone she trusts.” He eyes me. “And from what I’ve heard, you’re not doing a very good job. I put you on this case because you’re her age and you can relate, Axel.” He pauses, then straightens and narrows his eyes at me. “She’s not just another one of your cases.”
I moan. “Andrew, she’s just so difficult. How am I supposed – ”
“Aw, that hurt my feelings Axey-waxy!” Hadley’s voice is cold and her words sting for whatever reason. I’d have time to look into that later. As of now, I had to get her to school and home again safely.
I turn on my heel to face Hadley to see that she’s standing literally inches from me. “It’s true; you’re stubborn, thick-headed, and you irritate the living daylights out of me,” she raises her eyebrows and goes to say something before I continue, “But, you’re my responsibility, so, while you’re staying with me, I expect the utmost respect and courtesy from you.” She snorts and shakes her head.
“You really do think that highly of yourself. Why, if I didn’t know any better, I’d say you were some snotty rich kid with a trust fund and enough money to feed the entire freaking population! Do you know how many people need more help than I do? Almost half of the human population! So, next time you try and spout your shit about protection to me, try thinking of something other than saving your own ass!” She grabs her bag and stomps out the front door.
“Did that really just…” I trail off, looking after her.
“Yes, it did.” Andrew replies, clapping me on my shoulder. “Good luck reigning her in.”

Why did she have to be so difficult? My other cases – She’s not just another case… That’s what Andrew had said. What the hell could he possibly mean by that? Of course she wasn’t like the other cases; none of them were ever exactly the same, but everything about hers – from the evidence supporting the idea of some sort of gang violence to the possibility that her parents weren’t as innocent as they seemed – was different. In every single little way.
And she was different, too. A lot less willing to comply than the other kids I’d helped out. She was so much more stubborn and bullheaded than the others. I liked that; it meant that if she ever got kidnapped, they’d bring her back immediately.
I’d bring her back, too. Wouldn't I…?



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 3 comments.


on Feb. 7 2013 at 7:28 pm
Im_Simply_Me BRONZE, San Jacinto, California
4 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
\"Out of all the bad things that could have possibly happened, this is the WORST possible thing!\" - Rarity (My Little Pony)
\"Words whispered through prison bars loose their charm.\" Elizabeth Swan (Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End)

The next chapter is up for you!!! its here when you want it :) THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT!!!!!

on Feb. 4 2013 at 12:51 am
Im_Simply_Me BRONZE, San Jacinto, California
4 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
\"Out of all the bad things that could have possibly happened, this is the WORST possible thing!\" - Rarity (My Little Pony)
\"Words whispered through prison bars loose their charm.\" Elizabeth Swan (Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End)

@EvangelinaGrey  I wrote another chapter to Bits and Pieces. It's pending approval, so max wait for you should be a week or so... If you're still interested in the book. I'll let you know when Chapter 3 is up for viewing :) 

on Jan. 29 2013 at 6:05 pm
EvangelinaGrey SILVER, New Braunfels, Texas
5 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
They don't know that they don't know enough to know anything.

I'm a picky reader. It's rare that I get interested in a book in bookstores and much more on this site. But you have me very interested, and you are such a good writer! Keep it up!