Home > Novel (Fiction) > Sci-fi/Fantasy > The Secretary

The Secretary

Maya S.
The Secretary
Summary: Sharp-witted John Donne is the quintessential Renaissance man: poet, lover, buccaneer in the London of Elizabeth I. By night he walks a hidden world, as a hunter of the Otherkind that rove the shadows.

When the Order, the secret society that employs him, suspects the Lord Keeper – a top government official – of being more than he appears, it offers John a chance to infiltrate the Keeper’s services. He accepts, hoping that the position will take him closer to revenge against the demons who, years ago, murdered his brother. Once appointed, John must serve the Lord Keeper as a secretary.

John’s search to find the Keeper’s plot takes him from the glittering world of the Elizabethan court to the squalor of the city streets. As he unearths a conspiracy– and faces growing romance with Ann, the Keeper’s niece – he fords his way through a tale of honor, masquerade, and fate.

MayaS. said...
Thank you for checking it out! :)

Atl.Braves03This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
It was really good. I especially liked how real you made the different scenes feel. I could feel the tenseness at the beginning of the battle. I honestly think that you are one of the most talented writers that I've read here on TeenInk. Keep writing!

MayaS. replied...
Dec. 2, 2012 at 11:31 pm :
Thanks for your kind words. I can't wait to read more of your stuff too!

CammyS said...
Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:02 am:
This was outstanding! I was hooked from the first paragraph, and the only thing that made me stop reading was that I was at school and study hall ended before I could finish. I have to note: I was a little perturbed by the appearance of a werewolf. Hopefully this is explained later in the book, as well as the mysterious "Order"? All in all- great writing, great start!

MayaS. replied...
Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:14 pm :
Glad you liked it! Chapter 2 is pretty much all about the Order. Thanks for reading!! It means a lot!

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
A very gripping start that makes me want to find out more. And I've not seen too many books done about this time period and historic moment in teen lit before. Very interesting.

MayaS. replied...
Nov. 29, 2012 at 6:07 pm :
Thanks so much for checking it out!! I was actually worried about the first chapter being too slow... Thanks for your input!!!! :D

SciFiReader said...
Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:39 am:
Nice blend of the fictional with historically accurate events.

PattiC said...
Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:23 am:
Awesome job. Interesting reading!