Fabula Imperium (Story of Power)

Author's note: This is an idea that I've been kicking around for a while. I hope you get a few laughs out of it, at least.
Author's note: This is an idea that I've been kicking around for a while. I hope you get a few laughs out of it, at least.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 Next »

Target (Chapter 20)

Target (Yes, that’s actually a latin word.)Chapter 20

Arcus leaned forward, looking at the ground below him. After a few seconds, he stepped back. His foot slid on something, and Arcus hastily righted himself. He bent down, and picked it up. It was a Mobius shard. He squinted at it. Something was different about this one… but he couldn’t quite figure out what. He shrugged, and put it in his back pocket. Little did he know, when it touched another shard, it glowed white for a split
Okay, I apologize for not posting a chapter in forever. In return, I give you... well, there's not much I can really give you except this chapter. Enjoy.
second. The other flared in response, and when that one came in contact with another, it flashed as well. Within seconds, all of them had been touched with the mysterious effect. However, Arcus saw none of this at the time. He jumped off the edge, and landed lightly on the ground. He started walking in the direction of the lab.

Echo team had observing the city for hours now, and hadn’t seen a trace. They were on the top floor of one of the major complexes. The leader of the squad shouldered his sniper rifle, and switched on his radio. “Echo leader to Blacklight, checking in at zero-three hundred hours, and no sign of targets so far. Over.” His radio gave static as an answer for a few seconds, and then an answer came. “Rodger Echo leader, keep looking. We need those targets eliminated. Your shift will end at zero-six hundred hours. Over and out.” The leader grimaced under his pitch black stealth mask, and readjusted his night-vision goggles. He disliked the higher-ups over at Blacklight, and the feeling was mutual. However, the reason they kept him around was because of his skill with a rifle. He had been assigned to the north-western island because that was where surveillance said the targets were. He twisted a knob on the outside of his goggles. His vision zoomed in. He didn’t know where Blacklight had gotten all the high-tech toys they had (although he had his suspicions), but he didn’t care much about that. He was playing with the zoom function when he saw a glimmer in a sidestreet south-east of their position. He sat up, and looked through the scope of his rifle.

Mila gasped. She sat up, and put her hand to her forehead. For a moment, she had felt… something. Something bad. She went to her window and looked out at the nighttime skyline. She couldn’t see much. This city wasn’t as active as others at night, but still… she felt that something was wrong.

Blond hair… check. Blue eyes? He’d have to get a lot closer for that. Sturdy build, long strides… check. Even with all those, the suspect was carrying Mobius shards, which would make them valuable to Blacklight anyway. He switched on his radio. “Echo leader to Blacklight, 0319 hours, have visual on the target and moving to intercept, over.” His radio crackled with static. “Rodger that Echo leader, we have Crimson on the ground to assist if needed, over.” The Echo leader knew what they were saying. They didn’t think he could handle it. He cracked a grim smile. “No need, Blacklight. We have this one covered. Over and out.” He took aim, and placed his crosshair right over Arcus’ chest.

Mila was out running. The empty streets lit only by the dim golden light of street lamps looked like something from a horror movie, but that didn’t dissuade her. She was following the impulse, and as she got closer to it, it kept getting stronger. She knew the feeling had something to do with Arcus and his safety. She went faster.

Echo leader held his breath, and let it out slowly.
He took the shot.

PenOnParchmentThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 17 at 3:31 am:
It's a cool story, and definitely something i could see myself buying and reading! The characters are interesting-especially some of their names!- and so's the storyline. I really loved the summary too, it definitely was inspired!

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:35 am:
A very capturing story line is going on that reminds me or X-men or something. Very good. I wanted to know more.

. said...
Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:02 am:
If your story's not going through here, there's a teen writing site called Figment where you can post books without delay. It's pretty cool and there's lots of people offering feedback there.

Crunchman99 replied...
Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:59 pm :
Thanks for the advice, I might have to try that. The thing is, I've halted posting for a while because I want some feedback on Aegis Infernum first. For everyone else; it's on my page, and I would like to know if you want to see that first, or the ending of this one first.

Crunchman99 said...
Okay, about not posting anything in the last month... Well, TeenInk is kind of screwing me here. I've posted something completely new, but they won't validate it, either on purpose or by some fluke. Something is coming; don't worry. It might just take a while to get there.

IMSteelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I like the original names, the and the story.  It was pretty well written, the dialogue needs a little work, it's somewhat abrubt and not very believable.  The notes that yout put in the story I kind of don't like, if you use notes, you should have some kind of a sybole beside the parragraph, and then at the bottom of the page, write the notes.  Otherwise a fine book. 

MayaS. said...
Chapters 20-21: I feel guilty about the comment-per-chapter wall spam I've been doing, so I'll start lumping chapters together. These chapters were really suspenseful and the point-of-view changing was fluid and well-written. It was a tad confusing what Arcus does in Chapter 21 when he's down (uses his electric powers to melt the bullet in midair, causing the molten metal?) Sorry again about the comment clutter

CammyS said...
Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:48 am:
I really liked it, even though it didn't really, in my opinion, have a proper ending. Are there more than 19 chapters? I don't ever really know what's up with Milla. What is her power? And  I could tell that your Leo was exactly the same as the one in Percy Jackson. His character is identical, as well as his name and backstory. Good story- tell me when there is more!

Crunchman99 replied...
Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:40 am :
That's funny, I never even thought about Leo being that similar. Now that you point it out, they're basically carbon copies of each other. It must've been my subconscious or something. Of course there are more chapters, but writing has been put on hold for the moment. You know... Halo 4 and some other stuff :)

MayaS. said...
Chapter 19: Aw so mysterius! I have many questions, which was the intent of this chapter, but my only techincal-writing question is, does Arcus speak Latin? I'm sorry to say I don't know what he's quoting... I can't wait for more of this story!

Crunchman99 replied...
Dec. 17, 2012 at 10:03 pm :
Okay, seriously, when is TeenInk going to validate my new submission already?! Sorry for the delay, expect something totally new coming soon. Well, hopefully soon. It's been like a week, maybe two.

MayaS. said...
Chapter 18 (or 19) Praeteritus Fulgur: Oh snap. You must keep these cool powers coming!! "Percy and Jason...."  *chuckles* good show.

MayaS. said...
Chapter 17: Compared to the rest, Mila's portrait seemed just a tad underdeveloped. I think it would be cool for her to practice with her powers like Annie, Shadix, and Leo were doing. Has she ever seen the ocean? (That was kind of random but it might make for an interesting flashback-character-development-thingy)

MayaS. said...
Chapter 16: My question for this chapter is, why was Leo bullied? He's so nice.... Once again, the last line!!! I love the running joke.

MayaS. said...
Chapter 15: Shadix is definately relatable. I'm just wondering...why is his power over shadows, and why is he goth? Also I laughed on the last line.

MayaS. said...
Chapter 14: this was a pretty sweet change in perspective, and definately the best chapter so far. Annie has just about every teenager's dream power- actual air guitar. But I liked how you took that and the scene evolved into a reflection about her family to the violin to the birds to her friends. The last line, "hoping against hope," was kind of cliche but that was miniscule.

MayaS. said...
Chapter 13: Do you think that if Arcus were to go out and about, he would put on a disguise? That might be pretty funny. I liked this chapter, especially the descriptions of skyscrapers. I'm starting to wonder why the bad guys have been so quiet. Too quiet....

MayaS. said...
Chapter 12: Sidus Bellum. Heh...

MayaS. said...
Sorry, that one was for Chapter 11.

MayaS. said...
Chapter 10: This chapter was a nice change of pace; and the vivid descriptions of their powers made a nice movie in my head